PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' D stats since Gun's return

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Cumulatively, since 2004 only the Detroit Lions have given up more yards.

Anyone who claims Gun is competent is a moron.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
My personal favorite was his quote from his first PC:

"We will stop the run".

LMAO

Sure-Oz
11-16-2008, 06:45 PM
We will take their heart or some bullshit he spewed out

All talk, this guy doesn't deserve a job in this league. well maybe the Raiders HC position

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
We definitely have a staff that Goebbels would be proud of.

BigMeatballDave
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Come on, you guys. You're gonna piss Johnny off.

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM

All talk, this guy doesn't deserve a job in this league. well maybe the Raiders HC position

Yeah...we'd hit the QB and stop the run...and he tied that to phrases like taking their heart and soul or some bullshit like that...

Hit the QB and stop the run...LOL

kstater
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
He just hasn't gotten the players he needs.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Herm or Gun?

Both talk a big game, while producing very little...

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Herm or Gun?

Herm's quote when hired was "We will play defense"

Repeat 20 times. At least 20 times in that press conference.

Sure-Oz
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Herm or Gun?

Gun said that bullshit, they both should be out of here

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Herm's quote when hired was "We will play defense"

Repeat 20 times. At least 20 times in that press conference.

Yet GROB is somewhere laughing at us....

dj56dt58
11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
its not his fault..Herm is always hogging the film

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Maybe if Gun would go back to the booth...wait

milkman
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Spinner sucked.
Cunther sucks.

Spinner has his own problems to cry about.

milkman
11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Maybe if Gun would go back to the booth...wait

Maybe if he would go back to Oakland.

Deberg_1990
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Why are the Chiefs the only team in the league that thinks so highly of Gunther Cunningham.

Agent V
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe if he would go back to Oakland.
Or Germany.

milkman
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Why are the Chiefs the only team in the league that thinks so highly of Gunther Cunningham.

Carl.

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Carl.

Didn't Lamar love the guy too?

milkman
11-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Didn't Lamar love the guy too?

Lamar loved mediocrity, so probably.

Coach
11-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Heh, I remember some people doing the photoshopping of Gunther being the savior....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/IGunther.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/igunther.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/gun_patton.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/gun_plant.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/guntheronfield.jpg

blueballs
11-16-2008, 08:30 PM
don't blame gun
these rookies can't grow beards for shit

penchief
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Come on, you guys. You're gonna piss Johnny off.

Good.

If Gunther had any self-respect at all, he'd resign after making the same empty promises every year and then fielding a defense with the same deficiencies year in and year out.

chiefzilla1501
11-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Those are hilarious.

I think he's done a little better the past 2 weeks. But the damage has been done. He's been given way too many second chances.

Still hoping the Chiefs make a big push for Ron Rivera. I have a feeling that once the Chargers realize that he's not fit to run a 3-4, they let him loose. Wishful thinking, yes...

Heh, I remember some people doing the photoshopping of Gunther being the savior....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/IGunther.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/gun_patton.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/gun_plant.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Chiefs/guntheronfield.jpg

Coach
11-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Those are hilarious.

I think he's done a little better the past 2 weeks. But the damage has been done. He's been given way too many second chances.

Still hoping the Chiefs make a big push for Ron Rivera. I have a feeling that once the Chargers realize that he's not fit to run a 3-4, they let him loose. Wishful thinking, yes...

Even that, the Chiefs don't have the personell to run a 3-4. Hell, they aren't even fit to run any defensive formations. I mean, come on, six sacks so far through this season? It's a disgrace!

milkman
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Even that, the Chiefs don't have the personell to run a 3-4. Hell, they aren't even fit to run any defensive formations. I mean, come on, six sacks so far through this season? It's a disgrace!

Rivera earned his rep as the DC for the Bears Tampa Two in their SB year.

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm also glad Herm Edwards is such a great talent evaluator. We sure have stockpiled talent on D in Herm and Gun's 3 drafts together.

Coach
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Rivera earned his rep as the DC for the Bears Tampa Two in their SB year.

Yet for some reason, the Bears let him go.

chiefzilla1501
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Sorry if that was unclear. I was trying to say that Rivera is being forced to run the 3-4 in San Diego, but he made his mark as a 4-3 Tampa 2 coach in Chicago.

Coach
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry if that was unclear. I was trying to say that Rivera is being forced to run the 3-4 in San Diego, but he made his mark as a 4-3 Tampa 2 coach in Chicago.

Ah, my apologies then. I was thinking he was running a 3-4.

Even that though, the talent level is just horrible on the defensive side, and I'm not sure any DC would be able to do it right, especially when you have starters that are from the street guys.

DaWolf
11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Carl forced Vermeil to hire Gunther back. For that Carl should be fired.
Herm elected to keep Gunther around. For that Herm should be fired.
Gunther should have been fired three years ago. There is no excuse for keeping him around. And he has the audacity to say last week that he's actually proud of the job he's done. Give me a break...

chiefzilla1501
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Ah, my apologies then. I was thinking he was running a 3-4.

Even that though, the talent level is just horrible on the defensive side, and I'm not sure any DC would be able to do it right, especially when you have starters that are from the street guys.

I don't think the talent is horrible. I think they're poorly coached. We need a playmaker on the defensive line and a leader at MLB. THen, I think we'll be just fine. We have two cover corners and ballhawking safeties--they're creating a lot of turnovers with no pressure, just imagine what they can do if they get just a hint of pressure. We're getting pretty decent play of late from our interior linemen. And I think Hali and McBride would be fine in a rotational role.

A lot of our yards were given up on big plays, and most of them were given up because of 1, 2, or more missed tackles. Tackling is extremely coachable.

I don't think we're as far away as we think. I really think that if our players can tackle, we'd be much higher ranked.

blueballs
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Gunther this is the internet
and you're fired
again

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Gunther should have been fired three years ago. There is no excuse for keeping him around. And he has the audacity to say last week that he's actually proud of the job he's done. Give me a break...

Gun is a folk hero for some reason, and very few seem willing to hold him to objective measures of performance. The myth of Gunther Cunningham's success and the reality of it are miles apart.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM

GROB got fired today btw

booger
11-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I want this guy as the new DC next year. 10 years under Jim Johnson is good enough for me.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/CoachBios.asp?coach_id=10

Hopefully with Steve Spagnola as the New HC but if Herm stays he would be a good DC for him too.

this from PFW

(Eagles defensive coordinator) Jim Johnson has developed a lot of good lieutenants. Teams looking for a defensive coordinator are going to have to take a close look at his position coaches. Sean McDermott has been the secondary coach and linebackers coach. He comes from the same line as (Ravens head coach John) Harbaugh, (and defensive coordinators) Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera and Steve Spagnuolo. Hes been in the system for 10-some years and has worked his way up the ranks. He played at William & Mary with (Steelers head coach) Mike Tomlin. Hes not going to fly under the radar much longer. Rivera just got promoted (to defensive coordinator in San Diego). Spags and Frazier are in line for top jobs. The Jim Johnson pipeline is hot.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Audibles/2008/audibles2319.htm

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
GROB got fired today btw

True, but! Was his Defenses ever this pathetic? I know they were historically bad, but wow, Herm has taken us to new lows...

Fruit Ninja
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
True, but! Was his Defenses ever this pathetic? I know they were historically bad, but wow, Herm has taken us to new lows...

yes, they were worse imo. Them team had all their starters and they still were bad.

King_Chief_Fan
11-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Cumulatively, since 2004 only the Detroit Lions have given up more yards.

Anyone who claims Gun is competent is a moron.

But, if you use the same logic as the Herm lovers, you could say that Gun:
1) inherited GROB's defense system and players
2) started to turn it around then came Herm
3) Change in D system
4) now has to get players to play in said system.
5) takes time to develop those players

If this team sucking this bad isn't Herm's fault, it sure as heck isn't Gun's.

Gun owns alot of the blame, but having the defensive guru Herm as the head coach pretty much takes things out of his grasp doesn't help his case. I am all for firing them all and starting over.

the Talking Can
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM

rep infinity

alpha_omega
11-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Wow...i knew when i read the title of this thread that it was going to be bad....but i didn't realize how bad.
Yikes...the Detroit Lions?!?!?!?!

KCJohnny
11-17-2008, 07:45 AM
3) Change in D system

Gun owns alot of the blame, but having the defensive guru Herm as the head coach pretty much takes things out of his grasp doesn't help his case. I am all for firing them all and starting over.

Fair is fair. :clap:

Brock
11-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Gunther sucks, he hasn't done anything noteworthy in over a decade.

KCJohnny
11-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Here we go again.

Over a decade = 11 years ago or more. Gun had 2 #1 defenses in 1995 and 1997.

Brock
11-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Here we go again.

You're aware it's 2008?

KCJohnny
11-17-2008, 07:56 AM

Your words, not mine.

Agent V
11-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Here we go again.

Al Davis fielded winning Raider teams in the 60's.

Brock
11-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Your words, not mine.

Yes, anything over 10 years is longer than a decade. I hope somebody else is keeping track of your ammo.

bringbackmarty
11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Gun sucks, but this year ain't his fault. We have no players left on defense. None. Not one good player on defense. Sure we have promising young players, and they are getting turnovers, but nobody really knows what the fuck they are doing.

TommyHawk69
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I used to be a big gun supporter but I don't know if he is the answer. Brian Billick was talking alot of good things about the young chiefs and how they are going to be very good very soon. This would be a dream job for any head coach who would come in if they fired Carl.

King_Chief_Fan
11-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I used to be a big gun supporter but I don't know if he is the answer. Brian Billick was talking alot of good things about the young chiefs and how they are going to be very good very soon. This would be a dream job for any head coach who would come in if they fired Carl.

Firing Carl is not the answer to make Herm a better coach.
Firing Carl and Herm creates the dream job opportunity.

Dartgod
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
LOL, I did this one. I should put this in the "Stupid Shit You've Said" thread.

chiefzilla1501
11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Gun sucks, but this year ain't his fault. We have no players left on defense. None. Not one good player on defense. Sure we have promising young players, and they are getting turnovers, but nobody really knows what the **** they are doing.

When Gun had healthy players, even our players with experience were whiffing on tackles. And our LBs, who he was supposed to be in charge of, have gotten worse and worse. How do you explain how Napoleon Harris regressed? MOre importantly, how do you begin to explain how Derrick Johnson with all the talent was far worse under Gun's control than under Blackmon's?

The LBs are the weakest link. And with DJ and Donnie Edwards on the line, I'm not convinced that it's entirely about talent.

chiefzilla1501
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Gun inherited GRob's players, but was given a blank check in 2004 to add whatever expensive veterans he wanted. Gun asked for Kendrell Bell, Patrick Surtain, Carlos Hall, and Sammy Knight--it was well documented that these guys were specifically requested by Gun. It is also largely believed that it was Gun who fell in love with Junior Siavii. Since that time, he's also receiver 9 first day picks in 5 years. And given veterans like Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards.

And if you want to talk about schematics, it is largely on the D-coordinator to teach tackling. Gun held himself directly accountable for LBs and he has been worse than the previous guy, Don Blackmon. I can't even count on two hands the number of times we've given up a big play on a jailbreak blitz, which reeks of Gunther Cunningham. I can't count the number of times we've seen our safeties and LBs crash in recklessly on the run play and overpursue or get sucked up, which is also the mark of a Gunther Cunningham defense.

It's not hard to find reasons to blame Gun. He's had every excuse in the book but has never once held himself accountable for his defense.

3) Change in D system

TommyHawk69
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Firing Carl is not the answer to make Herm a better coach.
Firing Carl and Herm creates the dream job opportunity.

Wow you have great comprehension skills I guess that if we were to get a new head coach Herm would be his co-head coach.

This would be a dream job for any head coach who would come in meaning he is not already here.

Hoover
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Two words: Clean House

Carl - Gone
Herm - Gone
rest of the coaching staff - gone.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Two words: Clean House

Carl - Gone
Herm - Gone
rest of the coaching staff - gone.

That is the only way we will get better.....

Hoover
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
He have a lot to offer a GM and HC as a franchise.

1. Bets Fans in the world
2. New Facilities
3. Renovated Stadium
4. Lots of young talent
5. Lots of cap space
5. High draft picks

We will never be in a stronger position to get a top notch GM and HC so here's to hopping we don't fu@k it up.

Keep losing Herm!

Brock
11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
The new GM is probably already here, so good luck with that.

OnTheWarpath58
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, anything over 10 years is longer than a decade. I hope somebody else is keeping track of your ammo.

LMAO

OnTheWarpath58
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Probably?

It's all but guaranteed, IMO.

Regardless of whether Carl is fired this offseason, or is allowed to have his contract run out, the next GM of the Chiefs will be Bill Kuharich, and very likely the next President will be Denny Thum.

Which means, Herm gets several more years, at least.

I, for one, am looking forward to the incessant bitching for the next several years around this place. Very entertaining.

King_Chief_Fan
11-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Gun inherited GRob's players, but was given a blank check in 2004 to add whatever expensive veterans he wanted. Gun asked for Kendrell Bell, Patrick Surtain, Carlos Hall, and Sammy Knight--it was well documented that these guys were specifically requested by Gun. It is also largely believed that it was Gun who fell in love with Junior Siavii. Since that time, he's also receiver 9 first day picks in 5 years. And given veterans like Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards.

And if you want to talk about schematics, it is largely on the D-coordinator to teach tackling. Gun held himself directly accountable for LBs and he has been worse than the previous guy, Don Blackmon. I can't even count on two hands the number of times we've given up a big play on a jailbreak blitz, which reeks of Gunther Cunningham. I can't count the number of times we've seen our safeties and LBs crash in recklessly on the run play and overpursue or get sucked up, which is also the mark of a Gunther Cunningham defense.

It's not hard to find reasons to blame Gun. He's had every excuse in the book but has never once held himself accountable for his defense.

you are missing the point.....Interesting that Hermroids will argue points like this to excuse Herm...I am not trying to excuse Gun, I am just saying to the Herm lovers, if you make excuses for Herm you have to make them for Gun. Herm lovers can't have it both ways. I was merely pointing out that people can/will make excuses. In my mind there is no excuse for Herm, Gun, DL Coach, OL Coach............kick them all the hell out.

Hoover
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I have no problem with that.

Coach
11-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Actually, I do. If you are going to rebuild, you need to totally flush everything out of the front office, and rebuild it with guys who have a passion for winning, not just making $.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Probably?

Regardless of whether Carl is fired this offseason, or is allowed to have his contract run out, the next GM of the Chiefs will be Bill Kuharich, and very likely the next President will be Denny Thum.

I, for one, am looking forward to the incessant bitching for the next several years around this place. Very entertaining.

Holy crap, if that happens, we are truly hopeless and morally bankrupt for buying into that.

That will ensure we will NEVER see an AFC Championship game or a Superbowl, but the "true fans" will rejoice as we wallow in the 7-9 to 9-7 every year...

Brock
11-17-2008, 11:46 AM

You will when the "new" GM is foursquare behind Herm.

FringeNC
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Here we go again.

KCJ,

Greg Robinson had some great years statistically at Denver also, and won a couple of Super Bowls. Does that mean he should have never been fired after 2003?

By the way, Gun's 2004 defense was worse than Grob's 2003 unit with the same players.

Herm and Gun were talking each other up when Herm was hired in 2006, and look at this shit we've been given.

DaWolf
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
This team can't even tackle properly. Nuff said...

the Talking Can
11-17-2008, 02:43 PM

holy jesus that is funny

FringeNC
11-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Probably?

Found this blurb on Kuharich:

"Saints' personnel director Bill Kuharich has his own philosophy when it comes to building football teams, and he is sticking with it even when he is criticized for it. It led him to select Mike Ditka as his head coach and take Colorado guard Chris Naeole with the tenth pick in the 1997 draft."

jjchieffan
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
What a great time to start this thread. Bill Parcells would not be able to field a better D when his best pass rusher had been traded away, he only has . one decent linbacker, and 2 rookie corners. Add in the fact that the best linebacker, and both starting corners are out with injuries and guys signed off the street are getting significant playing time, and I think our D is doing pretty good. Did you forget that they are leading the league in takeaways? I personally am excited about our D. I believe that next season our D will dominate. We need only to add a pass rusher and a couple of linebackers and we could field a top 5 defense. Right now, Gun is being asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

chiefzilla1501
11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
What a great time to start this thread. Bill Parcells would not be able to field a better D when his best pass rusher had been traded away, he only has . one decent linbacker, and 2 rookie corners. Add in the fact that the best linebacker, and both starting corners are out with injuries and guys signed off the street are getting significant playing time, and I think our D is doing pretty good. Did you forget that they are leading the league in takeaways? I personally am excited about our D. I believe that next season our D will dominate. We need only to add a pass rusher and a couple of linebackers and we could field a top 5 defense. Right now, Gun is being asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

With all due respect, Chan Gailey has made a gourmet chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Gun's had 5 years to build this. He's had 9 first-day picks. A blank check in 2004 to get some pricey free agents in the mix. And oh, by the way, when he took over for the LBs, they got WORSE--and that includes DJ.

The excuses are over. Good coaches don't need elite players at every position to build a defense. They build a defense to their plyaers' strengths. I have never in 5 years seen Gun do anything innovative outside of an occasional jailbreak blitz. We can do a lot better. Monte Kiffin doesn't have many pro bowlers, but that defense is arguably the best in the league.

Mecca
11-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Bill Parcells traded away the Dolphins best player...and they're better.

FringeNC
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
With all due respect, Chan Gailey has made a gourmet chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Gun's had 5 years to build this. He's had 9 first-day picks. A blank check in 2004 to get some pricey free agents in the mix. And oh, by the way, when he took over for the LBs, they got WORSE--and that includes DJ.

The excuses are over. Good coaches don't need elite players at every position to build a defense. They build a defense to their plyaers' strengths. I have never in 5 years seen Gun do anything innovative outside of an occasional jailbreak blitz. We can do a lot better. Monte Kiffin doesn't have many pro bowlers, but that defense is arguably the best in the league.

Agreed, except the blank check was for 2005. In 2004, Gun and Carl were all cocky, bragging that Gun would take Robinson's same players and make a really good defense out of it. Turns out it didn't quite work that way -- it was WORSE Grob's defense.

chiefsngop
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Just heard on the radio that our stat :

6 sacks through 10 games

is the worst of any team in 26 years.

To me Gunther with Kansas City is the same situation as Charlie Weis with Notre Dame.

Great guys, and I personally like them. But they absolutely MUST GO !

This terrible injury situation might, and I say might, have worked out as an excuse for Gun if we didn't have the last few years as well as the beginning of the season to evaluate him on. Unfortunately for Gun, we do have all that "tape to watch" and it speaks for itself. It's past due for him to leave.

MahiMike
11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Verdamtamal, hey! Das ist ein scheisshaus!

milkman
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Cunther is the best DC ever!!!

He always just 2 or 3 players away from a dominating defense.

Agent V
11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
****her is the best DC ever!!!

He always just 2 or 3 players away from a dominating defense.
All he needs is a Bell, a Surtain, and a Knight! Oh, wait a minute....

FringeNC
11-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Gunther quotes:

"The first thing you do is stop the run, as that takes the heart out of an opponent," Cunningham said. "Then you take out his soul -- the quarterback."

"I was told that New York is the stage. I don't need a stage, I just need a football field. The stage meant you might get another opportunity (to be a head coach) down the road. I don't need those opportunities. I need to be part of a football team that can win the Super Bowl." -- Gunther Cunningham, on coming to Kansas City rather than accepting a job with friend Herman Edwards and the New York Jets.