PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Edwards A Long Shot For San Diego State Job

Hermcock
11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Edwards A Long Shot For San Diego State Job

Nick Athan
WarpaintIllustrated.com Nov 24, 2008

http://kan.scout.com/2/815357.html

After firing Chuck Long Sunday afternoon, the San Diego State Aztecs have begun the search for a new football coach. One of the places they might look could be in Kansas City.

San Diego State administration gave Long a vote of confidence after reports surfaced in early November that he would be fired. Even so, school President Stephen Webber and Athletic Director Jeff Schemmel were busy talking with boosters to raise the necessary funds to buy Long out of the final two years of his contract.

In order to do that, they had to raise $1.4 million. They came up $400,000 short, but made up the difference via the administration’s coffers. Now the search begins to replace Long.

Per an NFL source, who spoke on condition of anonymity to Warpaint Illustrated.com Monday morning, Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards could be a potential target to replace Long. Edwards has ties to San Diego State, where he played his Senior year of college football.

The Aztecs are in the midst of their third head-coaching search since December 2001 and there’s heat on the University from boosters to get the program back on track. The question right now is who will pick Long’s successor.

Schemmel was not at Sunday’s press conference and is undergoing surgery for a hip infection. Aztec boosters reportedly are trying to get him fired, also.

However, if Schemmel can attract a coach like Edwards, it might save his job and please not only the boosters, but San Diego State’s President, who were not thrilled about the Long hire two years ago.

Our league source, who was speculating on the prospects of Edwards coaching the Aztecs next season, said, “What young recruit would be able to resist Edwards’ passion for the game?”

The Chiefs, mired in another losing season under Edwards, took a step backward on Sunday in KC’s 54-31 loss at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. After going 1-19 over the last 20 games, speculation about jobs at One Arrowhead Drive is running rampant.

The main issue, however, will be money. Edwards, who is in the third year of a four-year contract that pays him $3 million per season, will require similar money before he would even consider a coaching change.

His current salary is at the high end of the pay scale in college football and our NFL source said it’s unlikely the Aztecs could pay Edwards the same salary. Thus, Edwards’ return to his Alma Mater is a long shot.

Edwards will likely be eliminated early in the Aztecs’ search because of the abundance of California recruits who are still undecided about their college futures. Any new head coach would need to be settled quickly in December, hire his staff, and get out on the recruiting trail right away.

Edwards isn’t the only candidate the Aztecs could be looking at, according to the San Diego Union Tribune. Former Auburn coach Terry Bowden is interested in the job and has gone on record saying he’d listen if the Aztecs called about the opening.

Other emerging candidates include former Kansas Jayhawks and Minnesota Gophers Head Coach Glen Mason, current Montana Head Coach Bobby Hauck, and former NFL head coaches Denny Green and Lane Kiffin.

Those names alone make it unlikely that Edwards would jump from the NFL to college. To take the job, he’d have to leave the Chiefs before the season ends, and it’s unlikely he’d do that to the Hunt family, his players, and his current coaching staff.

klg61
11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Getty
Getty

By Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted Nov 24, 2008

After firing Chuck Long Sunday afternoon, the San Diego State Aztecs have begun the search for a new football coach. One of the places they might look could be in Kansas City.

San Diego State administration gave Long a vote of confidence after reports surfaced in early November that he would be fired. Even so, school President Stephen Webber and Athletic Director Jeff Schemmel were busy talking with boosters to raise the necessary funds to buy Long out of the final two years of his contract.

In order to do that, they had to raise $1.4 million. They came up $400,000 short, but made up the difference via the administration’s coffers. Now the search begins to replace Long.

Per an NFL source, who spoke on condition of anonymity to Warpaint Illustrated.com Monday morning, Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards could be a potential target to replace Long. Edwards has ties to San Diego State, where he played his Senior year of college football.

The Aztecs are in the midst of their third head-coaching search since December 2001 and there’s heat on the University from boosters to get the program back on track. The question right now is who will pick Long’s successor.

Schemmel was not at Sunday’s press conference and is undergoing surgery for a hip infection. Aztec boosters reportedly are trying to get him fired, also.

However, if Schemmel can attract a coach like Edwards, it might save his job and please not only the boosters, but San Diego State’s President, who were not thrilled about the Long hire two years ago.

Our league source, who was speculating on the prospects of Edwards coaching the Aztecs next season, said, “What young recruit would be able to resist Edwards’ passion for the game?”

The Chiefs, mired in another losing season under Edwards, took a step backward on Sunday in KC’s 54-31 loss at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. After going 1-19 over the last 20 games, speculation about jobs at One Arrowhead Drive is running rampant.

The main issue, however, will be money. Edwards, who is in the third year of a four-year contract that pays him $3 million per season, will require similar money before he would even consider a coaching change.

His current salary is at the high end of the pay scale in college football and our NFL source said it’s unlikely the Aztecs could pay Edwards the same salary. Thus, Edwards’ return to his Alma Mater is a long shot.

Edwards will likely be eliminated early in the Aztecs’ search because of the abundance of California recruits who are still undecided about their college futures. Any new head coach would need to be settled quickly in December, hire his staff, and get out on the recruiting trail right away.

Edwards isn’t the only candidate the Aztecs could be looking at, according to the San Diego Union Tribune. Former Auburn coach Terry Bowden is interested in the job and has gone on record saying he’d listen if the Aztecs called about the opening.

Other emerging candidates include former Kansas Jayhawks and Minnesota Gophers Head Coach Glen Mason, current Montana Head Coach Bobby Hauck, and former NFL head coaches Denny Green and Lane Kiffin.

Those names alone make it unlikely that Edwards would jump from the NFL to college. To take the job, he’d have to leave the Chiefs before the season ends, and it’s unlikely he’d do that to the Hunt family, his players, and his current coaching staff.

MIAdragon
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/jkburtram/pray1.jpg

evolve27
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Get the fuck out of here Herm.

luv
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM
So, Claythan talked you into it tonight. I may post stuff for him, but even I have my limits. A source he can't name saying something that isn't likely to happen?

Delano
11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Eric Draven Jr. taken?

luv
11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Reerun will be in here to cream his pants any minute.

JASONSAUTO
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

chiefs1111
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Good,they can have him,I hope he goes...

MahiMike
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't let Herm help me coach my kid's flag football team.

JASONSAUTO
repost?

luv
LMAO

This is more hilarity than I can handle.

the Talking Can
an entire article about how herm isn't going to be a viable option for the job, prefaced by the "source" saying he "could".....wtf...

why does one need a source to say "could"?

speculation - as opposed to actual inside information of which there is none in this article - can be done by anyone...

Skip Towne
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Don't worry about us, Herm, take the job. Whatever they will pay you will beat the $0 you'll get from us next year.

luv
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Don't worry about us, Herm, take the job. Whatever they will pay you will beat the $0 you'll get from us next year.

WTF? You're not going to jump his ass for posting WPI crap?

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm willing to write a letter of reference.

I kind of wish I was a football coach. You can lose 19 of 20 games and still be considered worth hiring?

Hermcock
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't let Herm help me coach my kid's flag football team.

I just talked to an Aztecs alum about this story and he was pissedROFL

ChiefsCountry
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I think Herm could be a darn good college coach. They are all control freaks and Herm seems to fit that mold.

Bowser
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM

I kind of wish I was a football coach. You can lose 19 of 20 games and still be considered worth hiring?

Hey, Greg Robinson had a college job for how many years?

MGRS13
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
0$ is what he'll get from the fans in kansas city but I'd bet anything he'll get another three million out of Clark"is that a soccer game on t.v."Hunt. Sad but true we are stuck with him and Carl for AT LEAST another year if not more.

RJ
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
As USC is to running backs, as Penn State is to linebackers, so shall San Diego State be to punters.

Halfcan
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Last week Nick said Herm would likely be here next year-go figure

Tits McGee
11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
KC will give SDSU Herm Edwards, a suitcase full of cash and 50lbs of smoked ribs.
Do we have a deal?

Hermcock
11-24-2008, 09:09 PM
bump since this thread was first

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Dear Mr. San Diego State Hiring Guy,

My name is Rain Man, and I am a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. Please consider this a letter of reference for Mr. Herman Edwards, who I understand is a candidate for your head coaching position.

I watched with interest when Mr. Herman Edwards was hired by former United States Football League Champion Mr. Carl Peterson. Mr. Peterson implemented a nationwide search of people he was friends with, and I think it says a lot that he picked Mr. Edwards over the other two people.

When Mr. Edwards arrived on the Chiefs campus, our football team was horribly unbalanced. We had a record-breaking offense, but our defense was quite bad. We're talking really bad. Syracuse bad. It was a situation that had to change.

And change it did. Mr. Edwards worked his Meadowlands magic, and now, just three years later, our offense and defense, and even the special teams, are nearly equally ranked. He built an amazingly balanced team where no individual unit is any better than any other individual unit. That, Mr. Hiring Guy, is the way you build a team.

Mr. Edwards was instrumental in implementing a new system of change in Kansas City. His efforts have lowered ticket prices by upwards of 90 percent, meaning that anyone who wants to can go see a Chiefs game in person. He saved the owners of the team millions of dollars by replacing players like Willie Roaf, Will Shields, and Trent Green, all high-priced veterans, with new players who were willing to play for much less money. He appears to have broken the longstanding Chiefs curse of losing in the first round of the playoffs. And last but not least, Mr. Edwards has been instrumental in obtaining the highest draft choices the Chiefs have had in over 40 years!

While all of us in Kansas City have come to see Mr. Edwards as a symbol of this franchise and its philosophy, we nonetheless would like to see Mr. Edwards have the opportunity to work his magic for others. It's simply not fair that we've had him for three years now. So in that vein, please accept my most heartfelt wish that you will announce him as your new head coach as soon as possible.

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

P.S. If I may be forward, former United States Football League Champion Carl Peterson is another person who would blend right in with a struggling college program.

88TG88
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
If he's canned, I could definitely see him coaching the Aztecs.

Halfcan
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
nice one Rain

Dartgod
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM

My name is Rain Man, and I am a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. Please consider this a letter of reference for Mr. Herman Edwards, who I understand is a candidate for your head coaching position.

I watched with interest when Mr. Herman Edwards was hired by former United States Football League Champion Mr. Carl Peterson. Mr. Peterson implemented a nationwide search of people he was friends with, and I think it says a lot that he picked Mr. Edwards over the other two people.

When Mr. Edwards arrived on the Chiefs campus, our football team was horribly unbalanced. We had a record-breaking offense, but our defense was quite bad. We're talking really bad. Syracuse bad. It was a situation that had to change.

And change it did. Mr. Edwards worked his Meadowlands magic, and now, just three years later, our offense and defense, and even the special teams, are nearly equally ranked. He built an amazingly balanced team where no individual unit is any better than any other individual unit. That, Mr. Hiring Guy, is the way you build a team.

Mr. Edwards was instrumental in implementing a new system of change in Kansas City. His efforts have lowered ticket prices by upwards of 90 percent, meaning that anyone who wants to can go see a Chiefs game in person. He saved the owners of the team millions of dollars by replacing players like Willie Roaf, Will Shields, and Trent Green, all high-priced veterans, with new players who were willing to play for much less money. He appears to have broken the longstanding Chiefs curse of losing in the first round of the playoffs. And last but not least, Mr. Edwards has been instrumental in obtaining the highest draft choices the Chiefs have had in over 40 years!

While all of us in Kansas City have come to see Mr. Edwards as a symbol of this franchise and its philosophy, we nonetheless would like to see Mr. Edwards have the opportunity to work his magic for others. It's simply not fair that we've had him for three years now. So in that vein, please accept my most heartfelt wish that you will announce him as your new head coach as soon as possible.

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

P.S. If I may be forward, former United States Football League Champion Carl Peterson is another person who would blend right in with a struggling college program.
Nicely done. Can you write my resume?

oaklandhater
11-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

LMAO

chefsos
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
If he's canned, I could definitely see him coaching the Aztecs.
Wouldn't it be ironic though, if he just jumped ship for SDS before the season was over, depriving the masses of the satisfaction of seeing him shitcanned?

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
The headline alone is comical.

He's probably not going to be the HC of San Diego State.

That's news?

I'm probably not going to start crapping diamonds any time soon either, but you don't see any articles about it.

dirk digler
11-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

AWESOME

booger
11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Claythan a longshot to get laid, ever. (by a female anyway)

luv
11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
The headline alone is comical.

He's probably not going to be the HC of San Diego State.

That's news?

I'm probably not going to start crapping diamonds any time soon either, but you don't see any articles about it.

That would be an interesting read. LMAO

Basileus777
11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
If Herm actually wanted to coach in college, he could get a much better and higher paying job than SD State.

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 09:40 PM
That would be an interesting read. LMAO"KcMizzou Unlikely To Start Shitting Diamonds."

Read more after the break...

FringeNC
11-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

Great job. You could also mention what a fantastic DC he could bring with him.

booger
11-24-2008, 09:41 PM
"KcMizzou Unlikely To Start Shitting Diamonds."

Read more after the break...

So you're saying there's a chance!!!

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 09:42 PM
So you're saying there's a chance!!!Well damn, I hope so...

booger
11-24-2008, 09:43 PM
push harder

booger
11-24-2008, 09:44 PM
if you put your mind and butt to it anything can happen

luv
11-24-2008, 09:44 PM
So you're saying there's a chance!!!

Carmen (that was his name, right?) had a chance in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I don't see KcMizzou bing that uptight, though.

luv
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Well damn, I hope so...

You gonna go digging through your shit to find one?

booger
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Carmen (that was his name, right?) had a chance in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I don't see KcMizzou bing that uptight, though.

I never could get to far into the movie. Matthew Broderick just bothers me to much. I also hate every Baldwin brother to walk the face of the earth.

Thig Lyfe
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
PLEASE GOD PLEASE

KcMizzou
11-24-2008, 09:48 PM
You gonna go digging through your shit to find one?No. However, I did swallow my mom's engagement ring when I was a toddler... and they tried to find it... never did. (True story) Damned thing's probably still in me somewhere. I'm worth more dead than alive.

booger
11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
No. However, I did swallow my mom's engagement ring when I was a toddler... and they tried to find it... never did. (True story) Damned thing's probably still in me somewhere. I'm worth more dead than alive.

OMG

That'd be funny if sometime you have a thin turd and it came out with it attached like a finger.

luv
11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
No. However, I did swallow my mom's engagement ring when I was a toddler... and they tried to find it... never did. (True story) Damned thing's probably still in me somewhere. I'm worth more dead than alive.

Proof that you have a "taste" for the finer things in life. :p

Funny story. You really do have a chance!!!

luv
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
OMG

That'd be funny if sometime you have a thin turd and it came out with it attached like a finger.

I did not need that visual.

booger
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I did not need that visual.

I didn't mean that he would actually poop out a finger with a ring on it. Just a finger looking turd with a ring on it. Hope that clears things up.

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Similar story here. My parents were primitive tribal villagers, and as a child I ate the pigs that my mom's village gave to my dad to arrange the marriage.

booger
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
it's a small world.

luv
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Similar story here. My parents were primitive tribal villagers, and as a child I ate the pigs that my mom's village gave to my dad to arrange the marriage.

Did you have to look for them when they came out, too?

Rain Man
it's a small world.

Tell me about it. My folks use iron tools now. I never would've dreamed it.

booger
I hope you skipped the tusks and hooves.

Logical
Even though this is a stupid thread, Rain Man's reference letter makes it worth reading.

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Did you have to look for them when they came out, too?

Yeah, but it was a small village. There was NOTHING to do on Friday nights.

booger
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Tell me about it. My folks use iron tools now. I never would've dreamed it.

did they make the women wear those gold spiral neck braces to achieve the Harvey Williams look in your families tribe?

luv
11-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Even though this is a stupid thread, Rain Man's reference letter makes it worth reading.

Hey! Where have you been?

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
did they make the women wear those gold spiral neck braces to achieve the Harvey Williams look in your families tribe?

The style now is to wear them shorter. They're called Capri Neck Rings. Personally, I think they look kind of stupid.

luv
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
The style now is to wear them shorter. They're called Capri Neck Rings. Personally, I think they look kind of stupid.

LMAO

booger
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
That had to suck during the teenage years. With hickys and all.

EyePod
11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
This is obviously a ploy to get pissed of Chiefs fans over to the WPI website. It's a shame too, because the Atlanta Braves coverage is TOP NOTCH. They busted the Texiera trade (when he came to Atlanta) a week before anyone else.

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
That had to suck during the teenage years. With hickys and all.

It was a problem. But overall, it was okay since the girls were generally naked.

booger
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
It was a problem. But overall, it was okay since the girls were generally naked.

Yeah i hear ya. These guys that gaze at the national geographic mags aint lived till they see a 3 inch nipple up close.

Rain Man
11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I miss those days. Sometimes I think the arrival of the white devils was the worst thing that ever happened to my village.

Except for the whole Internet pornography thing, of course. That kind of squares things up a bit.

booger
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Thank god for Al Gore creating the internet. And all of the countless sluts for spreading their legs.

And razors. I never knew a mohawk on a beaver would be so attractive.

beavis
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
This must be the big thing Nick Athan was predicting to happen last offseason.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Herm would be a great college coach. He's the ultimate bullshit peddler, full of bluster and no substance, and doesn't know X's and O's to save his ass. He would have been a great hire for UC"R"A.

Reerun_KC
11-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Reerun will be in here to cream his pants any minute.

LMAO

Oh man oh man.... the possibilities I could take that post. But out of respect to you, I will refrain...

But yes, this is the best news I have heard as a Chiefs fan since 2006 when Herm was hired... Even if not true, it gives us HOPE that we will be back in the NFL soon... We are even coached well enough to be considered developmental league....

boogblaster
11-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Herm knows Hot and Dry ...

cdcox
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
If SD state can't afford Herm, you could raise his first year salary by passing the bucket at Arrowhead next home game. Seriously.

Hoover
11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I think Greg Robinson is avauilable

Bob Dole
11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
If SD state can't afford Herm, you could raise his first year salary by passing the bucket at Arrowhead next home game. Seriously.

Bob Dole won't be at Arrowhead and will pledge 10% of his annual income, if it means that Tok...er, Herman will go away.

BigMeatballDave
11-25-2008, 02:33 AM
If SD state can't afford Herm, you could raise his first year salary by passing the bucket at Arrowhead next home game. Seriously.LMAO Where can I send a check?!

Goapics1
11-25-2008, 06:20 AM

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Skip Towne
11-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Yours Truly,

Mr. Rain Man

Great letter. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Not one of those losses is Herm's fault. Each and every one of them, is either Dick Vermiel's, or one of the players faults.

If Herm could do everything himself, this team would have a perfect record.

crazycoffey
11-25-2008, 09:10 AM
speculation - as opposed to actual inside information of which there is none in this article - can be done by anyone...

and that "anyone" is NICK!!!!!!1111!!!!

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic though, if he just jumped ship for SDS before the season was over, depriving the masses of the satisfaction of seeing him shitcanned?

It doesn't matter how it happens, no deprivation here, just get the fuck gone!

I don't mind being deprived of a shit sandwich.

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Bob Dole won't be at Arrowhead and will pledge 10% of his annual income, if it means that Tok...er, Herman will go away.

I am impressed. I would love to see him gone, and would contribute, but not near to that extent.

All kidding aside, this may be the way to get Clark's attention.

Hog Farmer
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Should this be stickied as a prayer request ?

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Should this be stickied as a prayer request ?

ROFL

Skip Towne
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Was this before or after you were a Lowland Gorilla?

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Was this before or after you were a Lowland Gorilla?

The pieces all start fitting together now, don't they?

Rooster
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I would like to make a donation to the San Diego State booster club. If Chiefs fans would donate just $5 towards his college salary we just might get him out of here.:evil:

luv
11-25-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/11/25/670646/talking-about-herm-with-sa

Buck
11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
As probably the lone SDSU fan on the board, here is the order of interest I have in the named coaches.

1. Terry Bowden
2. Lane Kiffin
3. Herm Edwards
4. Denny Green
5. Anyone else

88TG88
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I'd be happy with Bowden, but Herm is THE SAVIOR. He is meant for the college game and meant for SDSU.
God, help them.

KcMizzou
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I think Herm would be a great choice for SDSU. (No, I'm not kidding.)

He's way over his head here, but I think he could have a lot of success in a situation like that.

Buck
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
God, help them.

That was funny, but I think Herm is more suited for the College game.

College teams can be 1 dimensional and still have success, while thats impossible in the NFL.

luv
11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I think Herm would be a great choice for SDSU. (No, I'm not kidding.)

He's way over his head here, but I think he could have a lot of success in a situation like that.

I think it's an even better fit with him having ties with the school.

KcMizzou
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I think it's an even better fit with him having ties with the school.The guy's got the charisma to be an amazing recruiter, and there's a ton of talent in that area.

I'm not saying it will happen. Actually I doubt it. I just think if it did, he'd have a great shot at being successful there.

Brock
11-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Sounds like a great story to float if you're trying to create the illusion that you're in demand when you're trying to get an extension.

KcMizzou
11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds like a great story to float if you're trying to create the illusion that you're in demand when you're trying to get an extension.Bite your tongue. :grr: