PDA

View Full Version : Football Just for fun Thigpen's first year vs Joe Montana's best year

FishingRod
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I think we are being a little hard on Thigpen.

Lets make a ludicrous comparison.

This years games started vs. Joe Montana's very best Statistical year ever.

Montana started 13 games in 1989. Super bowl MVP

If you take Thigpen's statistics as a starter this year and extrapolate them out to 13 games this is how they compare.

Montana 1989 3521 yards 26 TD 8 INT

Thigpen 2008 2844 yards 26 TD 13 INT

Lets see who did Montana have???? Well Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Brent Jones. Oh and a great offensive line and a great defense. Will Thingpen ever be a Montana, Farve or Marino? not likely but, if he had been our 1st round draft pick instead of an unknown we stole off Minnesota's practice squad he would be getting a whole lot more love.

kepp
11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Does this take into account the rate of increase of Thigpen's INTs?

ChiefJustice
11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
This thread is destined for greatness!

Rausch
11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Based on what we've seen he deserves a chance to start next year from day 1.

How about we just roll with that and see where it takes us?...

Demonpenz
11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
the league was different when montana played they would run the power I and use ball control mostly.

Rausch
11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
the league was different when montana played they would run the power I and use ball control mostly.

You show up and say this $#it just to piss me off, don't you?...

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Herm's wet dream.

FishingRod
11-25-2008, 09:11 AM
"Does this take into account the rate of increase of Thigpen's INTs?"

Nope just the games started. I could have cheated even more and thrown out the ATL game before we changed the offense. Naturally it is a BS comparison but, have we ever had a young QB that played any better in their 2nd year in the NFL?

Demonpenz
11-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Herm's wet dream.

no crap, herm wishes he coached in that era where montana could just manage the game.

CoMoChief
11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I think we are being a little hard on Thigpen.

This years games started vs. Joe Montana's very best Statistical year ever.

Montana started 13 games in 1989. Super bowl MVP

If you take Thigpen's statistics as a starter this year and extrapolate them out to 13 games this is how they compare.

Montana 1989 3521 yards 26 TD 8 INT

Thigpen 2008 2844 yards 26 TD 13 INT

Lets see who did Montana have???? Well Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Brent Jones. Oh and a great offensive line and a great defense. Will Thingpen ever be a Montana, Farve or Marino? not likely but, if he had been our 1st round draft pick instead of an unknown we stole off Minnesota's practice squad he would be getting a whole lot more love.

Montana was a 3rd rd pick was he not?

Rausch
11-25-2008, 09:19 AM

No, he was not...

Demonpenz
11-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Montana played for notre dame

ChiefsCountry
:shake:

OnTheWarpath58
No, he was not...

:spock: You just screwing around?

1979 draft, 3rd round, 82nd pick.

CoMoChief
11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Montana played for notre dame

I know that, its not what I asked though.

CoMoChief
11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
:spock: You just screwing around?

1979 draft, 3rd round, 82nd pick.

ROFL OWNED

Brock
11-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah brah, that's massive ownage

Demonpenz
11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Alot people don't remember this but Montana was really small and didn't really have a big arm, but they really used him by running the ball alot with Craig and rathmen then using small short safe passes to control the time of posession.

Stinger
11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Record in 1989 14-2 Superbowl win

Record in 2008 1-10 Superbowl will be watched on TV

Montana - Eleventy Billion wins

Thiggy's zero wins.

:spock:

Stinger
11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Alot people don't remember this but Montana was really small and didn't really have a big arm, but they really used him by running the ball alot with Craig and rathmen then using small short safe passes to control the time of posession.

Thus the West Coast Offense was born

ChiefsCountry
11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Thigpen has went from being Derek Anderson to Tom Brady to Troy Aikman to Joe Montana. Good grief people.

CoMoChief
11-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Thiggy's zero wins.

I'd bet that not even Montana could win with the defense we have this season.

Brock
11-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Thigpen has went from being Derek Anderson to Tom Brady to Troy Aikman to Joe Montana. Good grief people.

You left out Rich Gannon.

Rausch
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
ROFL OWNED

Indeed.

It's fun to help people answer their own questions...

WilliamTheIrish
You left out Rich Gannon.

Beat me to it.

OnTheWarpath58
ROFL OWNED

Demonpenz
Some people might not remember this name, but the player he reminds me of is Fran Tarkington

FishingRod
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Prepare to feel sick. Chiefs 1st round picks

Todd Blackledge, Steve Fuller, Ethan Horton, Brian Jozwiak, Trezelle Jenkins, Victor Riley, Sylvesrer Morris, Ryan Sims

ChiefsCountry
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Todd Blackledge, Steve Fuller, Ethan Horton, Brian Jozwiak, Trezelle Jenkins, Victor Riley, Sylvesrer Morris, Ryan Sims

Did you just find one of the profootball stat sites or something?

Demonpenz
11-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Wow that makes me feel ill. Thanks for th information. rep on the way

Rausch
11-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Morris was a stud on the rise who suffered a career ending injury.

I wouldn't count that as a bust, just bad luck...

FishingRod
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
"Morris was a stud on the rise who suffered a career ending injury.

I wouldn't count that as a bust, just bad luck..."

True, I meant to leave guys like him and Snow off the list. They never really panned out but not because they always sucked. How about Matt Blunder 2nd round but extra credit given for sucking so completely as to have a nickname like boy blunder.

InChiefsHell
11-25-2008, 10:57 AM
"Morris was a stud on the rise who suffered a career ending injury.

I wouldn't count that as a bust, just bad luck..."

True, I meant to leave guys like him and Snow off the list. They never really panned out but not because they always sucked. How about Matt Blunder 2nd round but extra credit given for sucking so completely as to have a nickname like boy blunder.

When did we ever even see that dude play, let alone suck?

blueballs
11-25-2008, 11:00 AM
When Thigpen gets a state named after him
then we'll talk

Planetman
11-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Just for fun Thigpen's first year vs Joe Montana's best year
I'm not experiencing any fun. Where do I go to get my money back?

mlyonsd
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM
then we'll talkROFL

Hog Farmer
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Thiggy's zero wins.

Well, I guess that puts a different spin on things!

InChiefsHell
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
then we'll talk

Heh. Joe even had a town in Montana named after him...so people could say they are from Joe, Montana...

...that's when you know you are cool...

Ismay is a town in Custer County, Montana, United States. The population was 26 at the 2000 census.

The town's name is an amalgamation of Isabella and May, the daughters of Albert J Earling, division superintendent (later president) of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway[1] (see also Earling, Iowa, Marmarth, North Dakota, Alberton, Montana). As a publicity stunt coordinated by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993, the town unofficially took the name of Joe, Montana, after the NFL quarterback Joe Montana.

EyePod
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Does this take into account the rate of increase of Thigpen's INTs?

This is just a linear extrapolation. It doesn't look at rates at all. He's just takes each number and divides by Thigpen's number of starts and then multiplies by 13.

Frankie
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Morris was a stud on the rise who suffered a career ending injury.

I wouldn't count that as a bust, just bad luck...

Percy Snow too.

Frankie
11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
then we'll talk

ROFL

FishingRod
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
This is just a linear extrapolation. It doesn't look at rates at all. He's just takes each number and divides by Thigpen's number of starts and then multiplies by 13.

The " you ain't squat until they name a town after you" was a lot funnier

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Okay for the record When I was comparing Croyle to Montana it was concerning his personality aspects. Nothing to this degree

pr_capone
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow that makes me feel ill. Thanks for th information. rep on the way

ROFL

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Based on what we've seen he deserves a chance to start next year from day 1.

How about we just roll with that and see where it takes us?...

YES

Bwana
11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Thigpen is no Montana, BUT....I do feel he is going to be an above average with more playing time. I sure as hell don't know that for sure, but I have a feeling I'm right on this one. With our season down the shitter, now is the time to keep him in there and find out. He is young and will screw up, but the important question is, is he smart enough to learn from his screw ups? Only time will answer that question but I hope it works out for him and us.

KCChiefsMan
11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Tyler Thigpen is more like the 2nd coming of Elway, without the horse look

MahiMike
11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
What worries me is how Herm acts like he's on a short leash and still has something to prove. There's virtually no endorsement from him let alone a ringing one - which is what he deserves. Let's just hope this weekend goes well for him.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
What worries me is how Herm acts like he's on a short leash and still has something to prove. There's virtually no endorsement from him let alone a ringing one - which is what he deserves. Let's just hope this weekend goes well for him.

yet herm lets the kid keep throwing even with the ints last week. It's funny how the guys who love stafford say he makes mistakes because he has to carry his team, yet they slammed thigpen for the 2 ints and the fumbleROFL
IMO Thigpen has ALOT less around him.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
yet herm lets the kid keep throwing even with the ints last week. It's funny how the guys who love stafford say he makes mistakes because he has to carry his team, yet they slammed thigpen for the 2 ints and the fumbleROFL
IMO Thigpen has ALOT less around him.

Thigpen is doing this BS in a spread offense that's just now getting found out, because their is enough film on it. It will be more of the same against the Raiders.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Thigpen is doing this BS in a spread offense that's just now getting found out, because their is enough film on it. It will be more of the same against the Raiders.

Yep, found out just enough that he only had 3 TD's last week

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Yep, found out just enough that he only had 3 TD's last week

they jumped 2 of his routes and one was intercepted because of it and the other pick was on poorly thrown jump ball.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
they jumped 2 of his routes and one was intercepted because of it and the other pick was on poorly thrown jump ball.

The team moved the ball up and down the field. Had around 250 yards at halftime and were only slowed by turnovers and a BS holding call. The 2nd pick was horrible though.

milkman
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Some people might not remember this name, but the player he reminds me of is Fran Tarkington

Tarkenton was a guy who improvised and created big pass plays with his scrambling.

Thigpen is just a mobile QB.

They are worlds apart.

milkman
11-25-2008, 07:25 PM

You are full of shit.

You keep making up reasons and changing your tune.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
The team moved the ball up and down the field. Had around 250 yards at halftime and were only slowed by turnovers and a BS holding call.

LMAO, he's a solid backup but he'll keep making mistakes like this because he can't read defenses sufficiently without the spread shotgun formation.

JASONSAUTO

now it takes these highly paid NFL coaches 5-6 weeks of film to figure something out?:rolleyes: like i have said many times you should stick to the i dont like the guy line.

Ebolapox
No, he was not...

er, yes. yes he was.

Ebolapox
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
er, yes. yes he was.

rd 3 pick 82. 1979

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
LMAO, he's a solid backup but he'll keep making mistakes like this because he can't read defenses sufficiently without the spread shotgun formation.

ROFL Keep talking out of your rear dude.

Ebolapox
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM

you missed one. glenn dorsey.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
now it takes these highly paid NFL coaches 5-6 weeks of film to figure something out?:rolleyes: like i have said many times you should stick to the i dont like the guy line.

just squat and watch the interceptions will happen again in the Raider game. I'll reiterate he's a solid backup like Huard but not ah it long term solution. Yes these highly paid coaches have enough film to figure it out.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM

ROFL and NO other qb has routes jumped? why does it matter where the QB lines up? the spread has taken over college fball, who are any of you to say i cant work in the nfl?

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
ROFL and NO other qb has routes jumped? why does it matter where the QB lines up? the spread has taken over college fball, who are any of you to say i cant work in the nfl?

The spread is a glorified run and shoot, and again my points still stands. He doesn't recognize when cbs are spying on the play then cut the route off with a 2 to 3 yard burst.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:32 PM
just squat and watch the interceptions will happen again in the Raider game. I'll reiterate he's a solid backup like Huard but not ah it long term solution. Yes these highly paid coaches have enough film to figure it out.

news flash the raiders have some pretty respected CBs, they are 10th against the pass. and its funny that it took all this time for nfl dcoords. to get it stopped(you cant really call it that)

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
The spread is a glorified run and shoot, and again my points still stands.

So, a team that was scoring 12 points a game implements an offense that has led to 24 points a game and you bitch about it ROFL

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
news flash the raiders have some pretty respected CBs, they are 10th against the pass. and its funny that it took all this time for nfl dcoords. to get it stopped(you cant really call it that)

Yes they do, and Thipen will have bigtime trouble if he can't recognize cbs spying short routes.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
So, a team that was scoring 12 points a game implements an offense that has led to 24 points a game and you bitch about it ROFL

how many points in the second half?

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
The spread is a glorified run and shoot, and again my points still stands. He doesn't recognize when cbs are spying on the play then cut the route off with a 2 to 3 yard burst.

hell the saints look like they run the run-n-shoot,minus the runs, and they are pretty good on offense.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
how many points in the second half?

More than what they scored under RRPP and much better to watch.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes they do, and Thipen will have bigtime trouble if he can't recognize cbs spying short routes.

if thats the case the COACHES need to call plays with some double moves.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM

The option also owned college football for 30 years. It didn't work in the NFL for the same reason that you can't solely employ the spread: too much speed on defense.

The spread is a part of any effective system. If we don't start running the ball more effectively with it, it's going to turn into the Run N' Shoot, minus the option routes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
if thats the case the COACHES need to call plays with some double moves.

That will also require the linemen to be able to hold their blocks for at least 3.5 seconds and protect Thigpen on a 7 step drop.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
The option also owned college football for 30 years. It didn't work in the NFL for the same reason that you can't solely employ the spread: too much speed on defense.

The spread is a part of any effective system. If we don't start running the ball more effectively with it, it's going to turn into the Run N' Shoot, minus the option routes.

hamas i can agree with this, but that is on the coaching.

Pasta Giant Meatball

I do agree with this. They need more balance. LJ was running well and they kept airing it out. Amazing, they've gone from RRPP to possible airing it out too much :)

JASONSAUTO
That will also require the linemen to be able to hold their blocks for at least 3.5 seconds and protect Thigpen on a 7 step drop.

even from the shotgun? play action maybe?

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
hell the saints look like they run the run-n-shoot,minus the runs, and they are pretty good on offense. isnt that the wrs responsibility, hell the slant COULDNT have been thrown sooner it would have hit his WR in the backROFL

The Wr's responsibility is running clean routes, it's the QB's responsibility to read and be aware of the oppositions positioning for correct targeting. that includes a defenders tendencies.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 07:41 PM
even from the shotgun? play action maybe?

Play action is worthless without a running game, and we haven't proven able to consistently establish one.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
The Wr's responsibility is running clean routes, it's the QB's responsibility to read and be aware of the oppositions positioning for correct targeting. that includes a defenders tendencies.

the last part was wrong i misunderstood what you said, i thought you meant he had to get rid of the ball quicker, not see the db closing(2-3 yard burst) but i understand what this post is saying.
IMO the coaches need to try to diversify the playcalling

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Play action is worthless without a running game, and we haven't proven able to consistently establish one.

last week we ran well and got away from it too soon IMO

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
last week we ran well and git away from it too soon IMO

Something like 13 carries for 150 yards for the game. They abandoned the run even before the game got out of hand.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Something like 13 carries for 150 yards for the game. They abandoned the run even before the game got out of hand.

yep.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 07:52 PM

Sometimes, yardage skews the true effectiveness of a running game. If you run the ball 30 times and rack up 160 yards, getting 5, 7, 8 yards a pop, it's a hell of a lot more effective than a running game that gets almost all its yardage in two runs.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Sometimes, yardage skews the true effectiveness of a running game. If you run the ball 30 times and rack up 160 yards, getting 5, 7, 8 yards a pop, it's a hell of a lot more effective than a running game that gets almost all its yardage in two runs.

but we had most of that in the first half. IIRC

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
but we had most of that in the first half. IIRC

And another 30 called back on an imaginary holding penalty.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
And another 30 called back on an imaginary holding penalty.

yeah that looked like a good pancake to me

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Here are our runs:

5,8,63,12, -2, 9, 2, 2, 12, 3, -2, 20, 27.

Two back to back runs in garbage time against a Prevent D with 3 in the box and one 63 yarder does not mean that we had an effective running game. We broke one good run the whole game.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM

LJ had 5 running plays in the 1st half. 5, 63, 26(penalty), 12 and -2.

nm just saw your above post.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Here are our runs:

5,8,63,12, -2, 9, 2, 2, 12, 3, -2, 20, 27.

Two back to back runs in garbage time against a Prevent D with 3 in the box and one 63 yarder does not mean that we had an effective running game. We broke one good run the whole game.

what im saying is that we need to commit to the run when it starts out effective

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 08:10 PM
what im saying is that we need to commit to the run when it starts out effective

I don't disagree with that at all. I do think that we need to do a better job of trying to run outside the hash marks. That's where Larry has broken all of his runs this year, and our line is better in space than at the POA.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't disagree with that at all. I do think that we need to do a better job of running outside the hash marks. That's where Larry has broken all of his runs this year, and our line is better in space than at the POA.

we need to do a better job of CALLING those types of plays.(and ive been on that tip for a LONG time)

Skip Towne
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
we need to do a better job of CALLING those types of plays.(and ive been on that tip for a LONG time)

One play we used to run that always worked is the quick pitch to the weak side. LJ may not be fast enough to make it work but Charles certainly is. I haven't seen the last few games but I didn't see us run it last year either.

chagrin
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
the offense looks like a Louisville spread and it's way too hokey to be used consistently; this offense is a gimmick in today's NFL, nothing more.

chagrin
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Oh, and this...

"I think we are being a little hard on Thigpen.

This years games started vs. Joe Montana's very best Statistical year ever."

You should be hanged by the toes and beaten, along with every other "let's just toss this stupid idea around" thread starter in town.