PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25 (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/dt-makes-hall-cut-to-25.html)

November 25, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The potential class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2009 has been sliced to 25 players and part of that group is Chiefs LB Derrick Thomas.

The Hall of Fame in Canton announced the results of balloting by the board of selectors that was conducted earlier this month from an initial group of 133 names. Voters were asked to select 25 players, coaches or contributors.

The 25 modern-era semi-finalists list will be reduced by a mail ballot to 15 finalists. Along with two senior nominees, the Class of 2009 will be selected from that list of 17 men on Saturday, January 31, 2009, in Tampa, Florida the day before Super Bowl XLIII. Rules provide that between four and seven new members will be selected.

WR Bob Hayes and DE Claude Humphrey are the senior nominees for this class.

Thomas is part of the 25 semi-finalists for the fifth consecutive year.

Joining him are first-year nominees DE Bruce Smith, CB Rod Woodson, TE Shannon Sharpe and DT John Randle.

There are three non-players on the list: former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, former Browns-Ravens owner Art Modell and Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson.

Other players among the 25: WR Cris Carter, RB Roger Craig, RB Terrell Davis, C Dermontti Dawson, DE Richard Dent, DE/LB Chris Doleman, DE/LB Kevin Greene, G Russ Grimm, P Ray Guy, DE/LB Charles Haley, CB Lester Hayes, DT Cortez Kennedy, G Bob Kuchenberg, G Randall McDaniel, WR Andre Reed, QB Ken Stabler and WR/Special Teamer Steve Tasker.

Four other members of the Chiefs did not make the cut to 25 players: DE Art Still, CB Albert Lewis, S Deron Cherry and K Nick Lowery.

The list of 15 finalists will be announced in early January.

Hermcock
11-25-2008, 06:47 PM
It's a tough class, but somebody needs to put an end to this bullshit and get him in.

KCChiefsMan
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
it's ridiculous how he is not in already. I'm not just being a homer either

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Is Gretz still the clown that will mess it up for DT?

There are some good nominees. You know that Bruce Smith will get in. I'm not convinced that Woodson is a first-ballot guy, and Sharpe and Randle clearly aren't, assuming that the voters don't overlook the fact that the Broncos' Super Bowl trophies were stolen.

In order, I'd say the most likely candidates are:

1. Bruce Smith
2. Cris Carter
3. Derrick Thomas
4. Bronco Loudmouth Idiot, in part because he mumbles on TV and that impresses the sportswriters
5. Rod Woodson

The ones that I think are most deserving are (in order):

1. Bruce Smith, even though I'm not a fan of his at all.
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Kevin Greene
5. Ray Guy, even though he's a stinkin' Raider.

After Fred Freaking Dean last year, there's no telling what these voters will do. I'll be royally ticked if they put Charles Freaking Haley in before DT.

Seriously, Fred Dean? What was that about?

KCChiefsMan
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
but I'm sure Shannon bitch ass Sharpe will make in 1st ballot along with Bruce Smith

orange
11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
but I'm sure Shannon bitch ass Sharpe will make in 1st ballot along with Bruce Smith

Sanity returns. :clap:

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 06:58 PM

If that happens, I'll hunt down and kill the voters one by one.

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Well done as usual Kevin. Do you listen to the NFL Sirius channel? Mushmouth has his own program in the morning and his been shamelessly lobbying.
He has gone on long rants about how GREAT he is.

stevieray
11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I feel he isn't going to make it in...it's been almost a decade since he died.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Sometimes I feel he isn't going to make it in...it's been almost a decade since he died.

that would be a travesty

Coach
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Yeah, it's been too long, plus the fact that it hurts his chances is that he's not here to campaign himself for it, you know? I know there are others that can do the work for him, but it's just a completely different ball game if he was here.

I honestly thought last year was probably his best chance to get in, because of that this year's class is much more stronger than it was last year, in terms of new players who are added onto the list.

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
It doesn't seem to be getting any easier. Especially with the Chiefs being the laughing stock of the league now. I guess Detroit's last win was over the Chiefs.

Herm has no right to be fucking up this franchise like this.

KcKing
11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Terrell Davis?? They serious?? He had what? 4 seasons?

StcChief
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Well done as usual Kevin. Do you listen to the NFL Sirius channel? Mushmouth has his own program in the morning and his been shamelessly lobbying.
He has gone on long rants about how GREAT he is.If he still had the records it might make a difference. other than the tainted SBs.

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, it's been too long, plus the fact that it hurts his chances is that he's not here to campaign himself for it, you know? I know there are others that can do the work for him, but it's just a completely different ball game if he was here.

I honestly thought last year was probably his best chance to get in, because of that this year's class is much more stronger than it was last year, in terms of new players who are added onto the list.

The thing that annoys me is that ex-players who are on TV as announcers get preferential treatment in the voting. Howie Long? Come on. There's no appreciation for the integrity of the game when steroid thugs like Howie Long get in. It's sad.

Bowser
11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Terrell Davis?? They serious?? He had what? 4 seasons?

He won't make it in.

Hydrae
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25 (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/dt-makes-hall-cut-to-25.html)

November 25, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The potential class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2009 has been sliced to 25 players and part of that group is Chiefs LB Derrick Thomas.

The Hall of Fame in Canton announced the results of balloting by the board of selectors that was conducted earlier this month from an initial group of 133 names. Voters were asked to select 25 players, coaches or contributors.

The 25 modern-era semi-finalists list will be reduced by a mail ballot to 15 finalists. Along with two senior nominees, the Class of 2009 will be selected from that list of 17 men on Saturday, January 31, 2009, in Tampa, Florida the day before Super Bowl XLIII. Rules provide that between four and seven new members will be selected.

WR Bob Hayes and DE Claude Humphrey are the senior nominees for this class.

Thomas is part of the 25 semi-finalists for the fifth consecutive year.

Joining him are first-year nominees DE Bruce Smith, CB Rod Woodson, TE Shannon Sharpe and DT John Randle.

There are three non-players on the list: former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, former Browns-Ravens owner Art Modell and Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson.

Other players among the 25: WR Cris Carter, RB Roger Craig, RB Terrell Davis, C Dermontti Dawson, DE Richard Dent, DE/LB Chris Doleman, DE/LB Kevin Greene, G Russ Grimm, P Ray Guy, DE/LB Charles Haley, CB Lester Hayes, DT Cortez Kennedy, G Bob Kuchenberg, G Randall McDaniel, WR Andre Reed, QB Ken Stabler and WR/Special Teamer Steve Tasker.

Four other members of the Chiefs did not make the cut to 25 players: DE Art Still, CB Albert Lewis, S Deron Cherry and K Nick Lowery.

The list of 15 finalists will be announced in early January.

Hmmm, maybe there is some way we could infiltrate the USPS and do something about at least ensuring he gets the next step. :hmmm:

Agent V
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
He has gone on long rants about how GREAT he is.
I notice any time Tony breaks one of his records he has some sort of retort rather than a congratulation. He actually believes he is the best tight end to ever play the game. He's well behind at least three others.

Tony Gonzalez
Kellen Winslow Sr.
Charlie Sanders

-----------------------

Shannon Sharpe

That said, let's hope this is Derrick Thomas' year.

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I notice any time Tony breaks one of his records he has some sort of retort rather than a congratulation. He actually believes he is the best tight end to ever play the game. He's well behind at least three others.

Tony Gonzalez
Kellen Winslow Sr.
Charlie Sanders

-----------------------

Shannon Sharpe

I'd add Ozzie Newsome to the list, and based on reputation, Ditka and Mackey as well.

I recognize that I dislike Shannon Sharpe's personality so much that it colors my opinion of him on the field, and I'll admit that. However, I have to say that his brother was the better of the two players. Sterling Sharpe was a force when he was playing.

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
I notice any time Tony breaks one of his records he has some sort of retort rather than a congratulation.

Ah got duh jew-ry! Ah got duh jew-ry!

I don't care whether the Jews vote for him or not. They aren't a big enough group to get him elected.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Tony Gonzalez
Kellen Winslow Sr.
Charlie Sanders

-----------------------

Shannon Sharpe

It's cuz he gots the jewry!

KCChiefsMan
11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
If that happens, I'll hunt down and kill the voters one by one.

don't make promises that you can't keep, because it's pretty realistic that will happen.

HemiEd
11-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Tony Gonzalez
Kellen Winslow Sr.
Charlie Sanders

-----------------------

Shannon Sharpe

Yep, he was shamelessly saying the other day. how great I WAS!
If only DT was here, we could be listening to him on Sirius instead of this horsehead mushmouth motherfucker.

Frazod
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I hope when Carl finally goes away that ass-sucking hack Gretz goes with him.

If we had somebody competent presenting DT's case he would have been enshrined years ago.

kc rush
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Is Gretz still responsible for representing the Chiefs in trying to get DT enshrined?

joemama
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM
It's cuz he gots the jewry!

And that is all these d!ckheads who vote on the hall care about. If you have the "jury" you will get in.

Pro bowl too for that matter. I don't think the entire Cowboys roster deserved to go last year.

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
don't make promises that you can't keep, because it's pretty realistic that will happen.

Okay, perhaps I should dial that back a little bit. How about, "If that happens, I will make a very angry post on chiefsplanet."

Rain Man
11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Unrelated question here, and it's actually a serious question.

For a guy like Shannon Sharpe, does he realize that he has no grammar skills at all? Does he ever watch tape of himself and say, "Wow, I sound like a 19th-century sharecropper?" Or does he not recognize it?

This is a serious question. I'm curious.

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Okay, perhaps I should dial that back a little bit. How about, "If that happens, I will make a very angry post on chiefsplanet."

ROFL

JASONSAUTO
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM

For a guy like Shannon Sharpe, does he realize that he has no grammar skills at all? Does he ever watch tape of himself and say, "Wow, I sound like a 19th-century sharecropper?" Or does he not recognize it?

hmmmmm good question how could you not hear it?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-25-2008, 08:06 PM

LMAO.

You know, Steve McNair was the son of a sharecropper, IIRC. Perhaps one could see the linguistic evolution in sharecroppers from the 19th to 20th centuries.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
it's ridiculous how he is not in already. I'm not just being a homer either

Its ridiculous that Andre Tippett got in last year and DT did not. Unbelievable????

Tippett was a good, solid LB, but a game changer like DT?? No Way.

The voters value Super Bowl appearances above all else. Thats the reason DT is not in already.

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Is Gretz still responsible for representing the Chiefs in trying to get DT enshrined?

Unfortunately, yes.

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Who did he jerk & spurt to get that analyst gig? Somebody like Costas must have piled on a colossal drunk after hearing that Fat Albert's fellow "Junkyard Band"-member landed a speaking gig on TV.
Or anywhere for that matter.

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 08:39 PM

It needs to be Derrick OR Shannon; I don't want DT going in with the same Class as that sack of donko-shit.

I hate this shit; it's like having to relive the nightmare every fucking year.

StcChief
11-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Is Gretz still responsible for representing the Chiefs in trying to get DT enshrined?anybody call JoPo...
or Bob Costas or Bernie Miclaez (STL Post)
(I know they're from STL) but could likely do a better job.

kc rush
11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
It needs to be Derrick OR Shannon; I don't want DT going in with the same Class as that sack of donko-shit.

I hate this shit; it's like having to relive the nightmare every ****ing year.

You know if they go in at the same time we'll hear about the Monday Night Meltdown non-stop.

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
You know if they go in at the same time we'll hear about the Monday Night Meltdown non-stop.

That's ok, the entire sports world will witness the Donko-Fan, "this can't be happening in Canton, during the Induction Ceremony"-beat down of 2009, when those sacks of shit fail to comply with my "Get on your feet, stand for the ENTIRE Induction, and show some RESPECT YOU COLORADO MOUNTAIN GOAT-FUCKERS"-mandate.

Good times, good times...:evil:

Brock
11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Knowing the bullshit that goes on in the voting, Kevin Greene will probably go in before DT.

Mile High Mania
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Shannon Sharpe deserves to be in... and so does DT, it would be fitting to see their names in the same HOF Class.

dtebbe
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Who did he jerk & spurt to get that analyst gig? Somebody like Costas must have piled on a colossal drunk after hearing that Fat Albert's fellow "Junkyard Band"-member landed a speaking gig on TV.
Or anywhere for that matter.

I hated Sharpe as much as anyone when he was a player. But I actually enjoy when he co-hosts on the Sirius shows (speech aside). He has spoken many times of how he and DT were actually friends, and that sometimes friends just know too much about each other, and that's what lead to their little scrum on that Monday nite game. However, Shape has never said anything but great things about DT as a person and player, and has said more than once that he can't believe DT is not in the HOF already. I also love hearing him talk about growing up in south georgia and how to this day his grandmother is still the boss.

DT

J Diddy
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Knowing the bullshit that goes on in the voting, Kevin Greene will probably go in before DT.

If that happens I will never give a shit about the hof again.

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I hated Sharpe as much as anyone when he was a player. But I actually enjoy when he co-hosts on the Sirius shows (speech aside). He has spoken many times of how he and DT were actually friends, and that sometimes friends just know too much about each other, and that's what lead to their little scrum on that Monday nite game. However, Shape has never said anything but great things about DT as a person and player, and has said more than once that he can't believe DT is not in the HOF already. I also love hearing him talk about growing up in south georgia and how to this day his grandmother is still the boss.

DT

Yeah, I knew all that shit too, but the guy is SUCH an ass.

dtebbe
11-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I knew all that shit too, but the guy is SUCH an ass.

Come on now, how could you not like the guy that makes these quotes:

On CB Ray Buchanan, who wore a dog collar to Media Day and has guaranteed an Atlanta victory in Super Bowl XXXIII: "Had anybody heard of Ray Buchanan before he got to Atlanta?"

After Buchanan's assertion that Sharpe looked like a horse: "I've never called anybody ugly. Do I think people are ugly? Yeah, I think he's ugly, but I've never said that...Is he my friend? No. Did I ever view him as a friend? No. Do I view him as an acquaintance? No. Do I like him? No. If I see him in a snowstorm, his truck is broke down, mine is going perfectly, would I pick him up? No."

ROFL

DT

Darth CarlSatan
11-25-2008, 11:36 PM

On CB Ray Buchanan, who wore a dog collar to Media Day and has guaranteed an Atlanta victory in Super Bowl XXXIII: "Had anybody heard of Ray Buchanan before he got to Atlanta?"

After Buchanan's assertion that Sharpe looked like a horse: "I've never called anybody ugly. Do I think people are ugly? Yeah, I think he's ugly, but I've never said that...Is he my friend? No. Did I ever view him as a friend? No. Do I view him as an acquaintance? No. Do I like him? No. If I see him in a snowstorm, his truck is broke down, mine is going perfectly, would I pick him up? No."

ROFL

DT

Dtebbe:

Hates black people, loves Shannon Sharpe; got it.ROFL

blackhawk
11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
1 Derrick Thomas
2 Richard Dent
3 Roger Craig
4 Bruce Smith
5 Ken Stabler
that my 5!

Chiefnj2
11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Too many DEs and DE/LB's to dilute the vote.

Garcia Bronco
11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I'd add Ozzie Newsome to the list, and based on reputation, Ditka and Mackey as well.

I recognize that I dislike Shannon Sharpe's personality so much that it colors my opinion of him on the field, and I'll admit that. However, I have to say that his brother was the better of the two players. Sterling Sharpe was a force when he was playing.

don't ever forget Mark Bavaro.

Garcia Bronco
11-26-2008, 08:51 AM
My five would be

Bruce Smith (Hokies)
Shannon Sharpe (Broncos)
Richard Dent (Bears)
Terrell Davis (Broncos)
Derrick Thomas (Chiefs)

StcChief
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
1) DE Derrick Thomas
2) DE Bruce Smith
3) DE Richard Dent
4) P Ray Guy
5) QB Ken "Snake" Stabler

Gonzo
11-26-2008, 09:43 AM
There's little doubt that his class is going to have at least three 1st ballots get in. I know Bruce Smith will and you can't make much of an argument about Woodson. He was something else. Sharpe and Randall are on the bubble so you know they will likely be lobbying. That will probably leave DT as the odd man out unfortunately. Why he did not make it in last year is beyond me.

I watched inside the NFL last year with Chirs Carter after he did not make it, he whined like a little bitch to Costas, (who in turn stuck up for him). Carter will probably make it in just because of that alone. I really believe that the fans should have a vote like they do with the pro bowl. Most fans have the knowledge needed to make an honest vote and justify it. I also believe that since the league has been around for 80 some years that maybe we should start letting in more than 5 player per year.

dtebbe
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Dtebbe:

Hates black people, loves Shannon Sharpe; got it.ROFL

Now why in the world would you think I hate black people?

DT

Darth CarlSatan
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Now why in the world would you think I hate black people?

DT

What ever could have brought me to that conclusion?

dtebbe
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
What ever could have brought me to that conclusion?

Hey, I like bananas too. ROFL

DT

DJJasonp
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I've done this a million times - so I wont go over it again...

but to make a long story short...

DT's stats are better than Bruce Smith's stats if you take their "per game" stats rather than total stats.

The fact that Bruce Smith played about 5 more years than he should - so he could pad his stats a little each year is ridiculous.

If you were talking about only a 5 year player (in DT) I could understand....but the guy put up significant #'s for a career (as well as having better per-game averages for sacks, force-fumbles, etc....than Smith, LT, and Reggie White).

Mr. Plow
11-26-2008, 12:39 PM

ROFL

DT

Did you have someone translate that to you? I can't imagine you heard him say all that AND understood every word.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM

DT's stats are better than Bruce Smith's stats if you take their "per game" stats rather than total stats.

The fact that Bruce Smith played about 5 more years than he should - so he could pad his stats a little each year is ridiculous.

If you were talking about only a 5 year player (in DT) I could understand....but the guy put up significant #'s for a career (as well as having better per-game averages for sacks, force-fumbles, etc....than Smith, LT, and Reggie White).

Your probably right.

But ive talked about this several times:

The voters value winning in the playoffs and Super Bowl appearances above all else.

Like it or not, thats the reality.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Let's be honest here. Bruce Smith played in 4 Super Bowls. Shit kicking or not, he played in 4 Super Bowls.

In the biggest game of his life, Derrick Thomas was benched because he couldn't master the simple concept of the counter trey.

Garcia Bronco
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM

DT was great, but Bruce Smith was better no matter which way you cut the stats.

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see the comparison, and I'm a big DT fan, and I really didn't like Bruce Smith, but in all honesty I'd have to vote for Bruce Smith first.

Garcia Bronco
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
There's little doubt that his class is going to have at least three 1st ballots get in. I know Bruce Smith will and you can't make much of an argument about Woodson. He was something else. Sharpe and Randall are on the bubble so you know they will likely be lobbying. That will probably leave DT as the odd man out unfortunately. Why he did not make it in last year is beyond me.

I watched inside the NFL last year with Chirs Carter after he did not make it, he whined like a little bitch to Costas, (who in turn stuck up for him). Carter will probably make it in just because of that alone. I really believe that the fans should have a vote like they do with the pro bowl. Most fans have the knowledge needed to make an honest vote and justify it. I also believe that since the league has been around for 80 some years that maybe we should start letting in more than 5 player per year.

I just don't think Carter makes it in until after the great one.