PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV I watched "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" last weekend.

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 01:19 PM
What an interesting odd movie. It's amazing how many stars of the day were in that movie. I'd seen it as a kid, but never as an adult. Anyone have any opinions about it?

This woman really cracked me up. She had a small bit part, but I really liked her. This is all she did in all of her scenes.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO5gKgjzsFw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO5gKgjzsFw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kc rush
11-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll have to watch it again. I was a kid when I saw it last too.

el borracho
11-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Is that the one with the treasure buried under the "W"?

MagicHef
11-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Saw it for the first time a few months ago. I really liked it.

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Is that the one with the treasure buried under the "W"?

Yeah.

It seems like it would've been a blockbuster back when it was made. It had a ton of old-timey stars in it. I wonder how it was received when it came out. Maybe I'll visit my friend google.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
That's a great old flick, been a long time since I've seen it.

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Budget: $9.4 million

Gross: $46.3 million (domestic)

MagicHef
11-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey!

Know what's kind of like racing across a desert to find treasure buried under a "W"? Figuring out what city this is in!!! This is even better, because it's got geometry!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5250517#post5250517

mikey23545
11-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I'll never forget thinking how old the Stooges looked....

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Budget: $9.4 million

Gross: $46.3 million (domestic)

That would've been pretty good for back then, I think. Right?

In my Google searching, it appears that it was released just a few days before the Kennedy assassination in 1963, so I'll bet that hurt its figures a bit.

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll never forget thinking how old the Stooges looked....

Agreed. Their little appearance made me laugh, though. It was a perfect cameo.

el borracho
11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah.

It seems like it would've been a blockbuster back when it was made. It had a ton of old-timey stars in it. I wonder how it was received when it came out. Maybe I'll visit my friend google.

Ok, I somewhat remember that one... kind of campy humor about human greed. I liked the premise and the opening sequence but kind of lost interest by the end.

If you are just getting around to watching campy old movies you might try "Paleface" and "The Court Jester." I remember liking those as a kid.

Or if you want really campy you could check out "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" or "The Incredible Mr. Limpet."

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
That would've been pretty good for back then, I think. Right?

In my Google searching, it appears that it was released just a few days before the Kennedy assassination in 1963, so I'll bet that hurt its figures a bit.

Adjusted for inflation it would be $381,437,900.00.

So yes, I'd say that's pretty good. :D

Stewie
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
I saw it as a kid and thought it was good. I saw it as an adult and wondered why.

I did happen to catch a bit of Earthquake (1974) today and Genevieve Bujold is smoking hot in it. That was the only redeeming part of the movie and after her scene I switched channels.

blaise
11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
It's funny, on the subject of old movies. I was just looking back at some old movies I want to watch again. "Sorcerer" with Roy Scheider (sp?) was the one where the guys had to drive two truckloads of explosives through the jungle and if they bumped too hard it would explode. I'm planning to watch that again. And "Straw Dogs" with Dustin Hoffman. He's an American that moves into a house in England. These locals harass him until he's basically forced into violence. I'm planning to watch that again.
I remember them as good movies. I hope they hold up.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Still love that movie. I remember back in the 70's and 80's they used to show it on TV nearly every year around this time.

They essentially remade it a few years ago with "Rat Race" which i also thought was pretty funny.

WilliamTheIrish
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I especially enjoyed the Phil Silvers/Johnathon Winters scenes.

cardken
11-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Fun Trivia: Was the last Major Motion Picture to be released with an "Intermission", running time: 192 mins. WOW! Never today, the studios would freak that they couldn't get the most showing a day out of it. They freaked when Titanic ran so long :194 mins. And was one of the largest number of prints available in Movie history to get it on as many screen possible worldwide. But since two studios were sharing the cost and distributions it happened, a solo studio would never bear it.

Ecto-I
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
The first time I saw it, I was probably 11 and have never laughed so hard watching a movie.

I have a feeling I'd be dissappointed if I watched it again, so I'll just hold on to the memory!

Deberg_1990
11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I believe it was also shot in Cinerama?? It was intended to be projected extremely WIDE on three screens similtaneously.

cardken
11-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Was essentially the inspiration for the later "Cannonball Run" films, now we know who to blame.:cuss:

el borracho
11-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Fun Trivia: Was the last Major Motion Picture to be released with an "Intermission", running time: 192 mins. WOW! Never today, the studios would freak that they couldn't get the most showing a day out of it. They freaked when Titanic ran so long :194 mins. And was one of the largest number of prints available in Movie history to get it on as many screen possible worldwide. But since two studios were sharing the cost and distributions it happened, a solo studio would never bear it.

How long were each of the Lord of the Rings movies in their theatrical releases? I'm thinking they were around that length.

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I believe it was also shot in Cinerama?? It was intended to be projected extremely WIDE on three screens similtaneously.

I'm seeing "Quantum of Solace" at the original Cinerama Dome this evening.

:evil:

Deberg_1990
11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is Rat Race

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9PlXr8NKuo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9PlXr8NKuo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-26-2008, 02:53 PM

I seem to recall theaters having intermissions during "The Deer Hunter".

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
When I watched "The Right Stuff" in the early 80s, they had an intermission, but I'm not sure if that was a national policy or just my local theater. I do remember that it was a really long (and good) movie.

Friendo
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
loved the interplay between Jonathan Winters and Shecky Green--funny stuff--at least at the time.

KChiefs1
11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok, I somewhat remember that one... kind of campy humor about human greed. I liked the premise and the opening sequence but kind of lost interest by the end.

If you are just getting around to watching campy old movies you might try "Paleface" and "The Court Jester." I remember liking those as a kid.

Or if you want really campy you could check out "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" or "The Incredible Mr. Limpet."

we have similar taste in flicks...loved those movies as a kid.