PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs AP: Chiefs and their coaches facing uncertain future

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Chiefs and their coaches facing uncertain future (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-uncertainchiefs&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—When told his name was popping up in connection with the vacant coaching job at San Diego State, Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards delivered a glib and funny reply.

“I’ve got a college team right now that I’m coaching,” the embattled leader of the very youthful and 1-10 Kansas City Chiefs said with a laugh. “Next question.”

Asked again, he repeated the same line and the matter was dropped.

But given an opportunity the next day to put an end to any speculation his non-denial might fuel, the third-year Chiefs coach had even less to say.

“I’m just not talking about that at all,” he said.

So might Edwards be inclined to give serious thought to leaving the NFL and returning to San Diego State, where he graduated in 1976? Or was he simply laughing off an idea that seemed preposterous?

Could he be leaving his options open because Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is losing patience with a coaching staff that’s 1-19 since a year ago last October?

That, too, is not known. Since July, Hunt has mostly avoided speaking with the media, promising to sit down with individual reporters at the end of this season as he did at the end of last season. In the two times he has spoken publicly on the Chiefs, Hunt has expressed support for Edwards and his staff.

E-mails last week and this week to Hunt’s personal assistant requesting an interview were not answered.

What is known is that 2008 is shaping up as the Chiefs’ worst season since the late Lamar Hunt founded the franchise in 1960. Last week’s 54-31 loss to Buffalo broke the team record for points allowed, and in other losses this miserable season they’ve given up a team-record 332 yards rushing and set the team mark by squandering a 21-point lead.

Perhaps as alarming as anything are the empty seats at Arrowhead Stadium. Every week there are thousands.

Fans are growing impatient and angry, even those who recall that Hunt and Edwards both said going into the season a full-fledged youth movement was certain to bring pain.

Most of the displeasure is being aimed at Carl Peterson, the president and general manager since 1989. But Edwards, hired after the 2005 season, is also coming under fire as losses pile up.

Counting his last season as head coach in New York when the injury-racked Jets finished 4-12, Edwards in his last 59 games is 18-41.

The mistakes of youth were expected. The Chiefs opened the season as the youngest team in the NFL. And an injury epidemic, similar to the one that swamped Edwards’ 2005 Jets, has contributed to the misery. This week at Oakland, rookie tackle Glenn Dorsey might be the only starter on the four-man defensive front who’s able to play.

So far, the fewest victories any Chiefs team managed were two in 1977. The worst they’ve done in a nonstrike 16-game season is 4-12. All five of the final games seem winnable, starting with Sunday’s trip to the Raiders and including games with San Diego, Denver, Miami and Cincinnati.

But all would also seem losable because the 2008 Chiefs seem likely to go into the record book as having the worst pass rush since the NFL began keeping track of the stat.

The low is now held by the 1981 Baltimore Colts with 13. The Chiefs, with five games to go, have six.

Nevertheless, while being coy about any possible career changes, Edwards stoutly defends his rebuilding plan and insists it is bearing fruit. One encouraging note has been the development of third-team quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

“But there’s a lot of other young players on this football team who are getting better,” Edwards said. “It doesn’t show on the scoreboard as far as wins or losses right now. But you look at the grand scheme of things, we knew when we decided to do this, it would be tough. And it’s been a lot tougher than we anticipated. But still through all that, these young guys are getting better.”

And, according to Edwards, Hunt remains fully on board.

“Yeah, we talk all the time,” he said. “He knows exactly what we’re trying to do. We’re all on the same page. Everyone signed off on this. This is what we’re going to do. You’ve got have guts to do it and that’s why everyone doesn’t like doing it, because it’s hard.”

talastan
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow, just wow....Nothing like the Jets fans being right..:shake:

Too bad unlike them, when Herm departs for the College ranks we won't get a draft pick for him. :cuss: Damn it CARL!! :cuss:

the Talking Can
11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Edwards in his last 59 games is 18-41.

in KC we call that job security

Bowser
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
File that in the "No Shit" folder.

blueballs
11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
in KC we call that job security

how far back
do you have to reach

JuicesFlowing
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I firmly believe that Herm's practice schedule and lack of physical preparation causes all of his teams to be plagued by injuries. Maybe he's too soft on everyone. But it explains his teams always starting slow in September and all the injuries that pile up. I don't know.

talastan
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I firmly believe that Herm's practice schedule and lack of physical preparation causes all of his teams to be plagued by injuries. Maybe he's too soft on everyone. But it explains his teams always starting slow in September and all the injuries that pile up. I don't know.

This!!

Al Czervik
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Freaking Herm....
The arrogancy is amazing....

Seriously, there isnt an owner in the NFL that wouldnt have
fired his lame ass by now...except Clark Kent.......

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Freaking Herm....
The arrogancy is amazing....

Seriously, there isnt an owner in the NFL that wouldnt have
fired his lame ass by now...except Clark Kent.......

Superman is the Owner/GM. Wow dude I wonder if he can go ironman and play QB and DE.

Bill Parcells
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
So losing is acceptable as long as the Chiefs ''are young''? ''and rebuilding''? what a fucking disgrace..and he's laying blame on the season on having too many young players? he's a gutless coward.

Losing should be unacceptable..no excuses. I've heard this regurgitated horseshit before. what a fraud.

And what player with any kind of brain would listen to this moron's rambling drivel and learn anything?

Bowser
11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
So losing is acceptable as long as the Chiefs ''are young''? ''and rebuilding''? what a fucking disgrace..and he's laying blame on the season on having too many young players? he's a gutless coward.

Losing should be unacceptable..no excuses. I've heard this regurgitated horseshit before. what a fraud.

And what player with any kind of brain would listen to this moron's rambling drivel and learn anything?

It pisses me off when people bring the "we're young and rebuilding" argument. There's young and rebuilding, then there is what Herm has made the Chiefs into.

BigChiefFan
11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
When the local writers start bringing the heat, that's a good sign in my book. Hopefully we are relieved of this Herm/Carl Fiasco at the end of the year.

JuicesFlowing
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
It pisses me off when people bring the "we're young and rebuilding" argument. There's young and rebuilding, then there is what Herm has made the Chiefs into.

Yes. The Packers were young last year. They did pretty well.

Bill Parcells
11-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Look, if the Chiefs were just getting beat every week going down swinging I would be able to live with that if I was a Chiefs fan. at least they were fighting to try and win the game. Herm's motto is keep it close and pray and hope for a break because he has no plan or rhyme or reason in what he's doing. he is absolutely clueless. I would love to here a reporter ask him what this plan is that he sold Clark Hunt on, other than just ''rebuilding''.

Bowser
11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes. The Packers were young last year. They did pretty well.

How about the Falcons or Dolphins THIS year?

Bowser
11-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Look, if the Chiefs were just getting beat every week going down swinging I would be able to live with that if I was a Chiefs fan. at least they were fighting to try and win the game. Herm's motto is keep it close and pray and hope for a break because he has no plan or rhyme or reason in what he's doing. he is absolutely clueless. I would love to here a reporter ask him what this plan is that he sold Clark Hunt on, other than just ''rebuilding''.

Herm has no killer instincts. None. A three point lead in the NFL isn't safe anymore, ESPECIALLY with this group of Chiefs. Herm has proven again and again that he just doesn't have what it takes to put away an opponent when he has them on the ropes.

beavis
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM

I've thought about this a lot too. It's the only conclusion you can really come to. There is too much evidence there to deny that he's doing something wrong.

TEX
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
And it’s been a lot tougher than we anticipated. But still through all that, these young guys are getting better.”

Getting better? It's been tougher because Herm BLOWS. A good coach would get more out of young talent...

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh, Herm is so glib and funny!

However, it is nice to see Warpaint driving coverage from the rest of the media.

boogblaster
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
This year and team are hard too watch .. But lets watch the ending and the draft ... If the right players are drafted and coaching is changed we should improve ....

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2008, 09:29 PM
It pisses me off when people bring the "we're young and rebuilding" argument. There's young and rebuilding, then there is what Herm has made the Chiefs into.No kidding. The Packers are just as young as this team, and not that bad.

blueballs
11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Carl is all about the revenue
Herm is killing the cash cow
and wrestling control away -Carl regrets the choice IMO