PDA

View Full Version : Computers Mac or PC?

Bane
11-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey folks just looking for a little input here.Im not an expert with PC but Im not a amature either,and I am considering switching to a Mac book.I currently have a Dell Xps M 1330 which I really like,but I checked out the Mac book yesterday in the Apple store and I think I like it way better.I hear the Mac's are moe reliable,and less prone to the bluescreenof death,which I have been through a time or two.The model I am thinking of is the 13 inch Mc book with 4gb of ram and a 250 gb Hd.Thats the same set up I have with my dell,so I just wanted some input and maybe my transition wont be so painful.Thanks.

DaFace
11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Repost. I'll see if I can find some of the recent threads on the topic.

DaFace
11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Here's one:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196309

DaFace
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Here's another:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=195556

Douche Baggins
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Sounds like you like prebuilt computers. In that case, go Mac.

Bane
11-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks.

Bane
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Sounds like you like prebuilt computers. In that case, go Mac.

Sorta,I mean I upgraded the ram,and video card in my dell,but my boss has a mac and the more I mess with it ,the more I like it.I will still keep a pc at home,but Im really liking the mac's.

DaFace
11-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I think my own summary of the whole Mac vs. PC thing would be:

Macs:
-Somewhat less prone to errors/issues than PC's
-More stylish
-Pretty good proprietary software (e.g., iLife)
-Can run PC software (though I think you'd have to pay extra for a Windows license to do so)

PC's:
-Much less expensive
-More customizable hardware (no proprietary parts)
-More software titles available (especially for gamers)

Bane
11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks again guys.

HC_Chief
11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Mac OS is way better than Visturd. Mac OS is far more reliable and far more intuitive. If you want a laptop for internet access, email, chat, photo & video management/editing/posting, get a Mac. If you want to play video games, get a console (Xbox 360 or PS3) or a PC (tower; not a gaming laptop).

Rain Man
11-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm a PC, and I wear a uniform.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6966/superman25sq.jpg

(Not this one.)

Silock
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm a PC, and I wear underwear outside of my pantyhose.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
I think my own summary of the whole Mac vs. PC thing would be:

Macs:
-Somewhat less prone to errors/issues than PC's
-More stylish
-Pretty good proprietary software (e.g., iLife)
-Can run PC software (though I think you'd have to pay extra for a Windows license to do so)

PC's:
-Much less expensive
-More customizable hardware (no proprietary parts)
-More software titles available (especially for gamers)

You can run Mac Software on a PC.

Rausch
11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
You can run Mac Software on a PC.

You can now.

Pretty sure after the Intel switch all you have to do is buy the Mac Intel MB (firmware) and frankestein the rest...

Rausch
11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh, and if you get a Mac Rausch can...*cough*...help you with software.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
You can now.

Pretty sure after the Intel switch all you have to do is buy the Mac Intel MB (firmware) and frankestein the rest...

Yup. Google "Hackintosh".

Silock
11-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Yup. Google "Hackintosh".

Google "Problems galore."

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Google "Problems galore."

Google "fanboi fucktard."

tk13
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I was actually going to make a thread... not about this, but to ask if anyone has one of the new Macbooks. Pros? Cons? How do they compare to previous Macbooks? I've not done a whole lot of research into them yet.

Silock
11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Google "fanboi fucktard."

Google "Butthurt assclown." Hackintoshes have lots of compatibility problems. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. Apparently, you can't handle that, because I'm not sure how pointing that out makes me a "fucktard," but whatever.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Google "Butthurt assclown." Hackintoshes have lots of compatibility problems. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. Apparently, you can't handle that, because I'm not sure how pointing that out makes me a "fucktard," but whatever.

They absolutely do not have a lot of compatibility problems if you are intelligent enough to run a dual or tri boot system if you are hopelessly tied to Apple's OS.

splatbass
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Mac by a mile. I'm a system administrator on a system with Windows workstations. If they were Mac I would probably be out of a job, it is that much better. I have a love/hate relationship with Windows. It drives me nuts having to deal with all the issues, but it keeps me employed. :)

At home I use Mac. It's nice never seeing the blue screen of death.....

Silock
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
They absolutely do not have a lot of compatibility problems if you are intelligent enough to run a dual or tri boot system if you are hopelessly tied to Apple's OS.

I wasn't referring to software compatibility. I was referring to hardware compatibility.

A Hackintosh might be a fun toy, but they have way too many issues and never run at 100%. It's better to just stick with a PC than deal with a Hackintosh headache.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I wasn't referring to software compatibility. I was referring to hardware compatibility.

A Hackintosh might be a fun toy, but they have way too many issues and never run at 100%. It's better to just stick with a PC than deal with a Hackintosh headache.

Logic Boards are bye bye.

splatbass
11-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Funny, I've never had a hardware incompatibility with my Mac. I've had two printers and two scanners, and in each case I just plugged them in and didn't even need to install drivers. Same with external drives, and many other external USB devices.

And I work in IT, as I said before, and all but one of us in my office has Mac at home. Most computer professionals I know prefer Mac. Plus you get a UNIX command line, which is really nice. You can have the DOS command line that comes on your PC. Useless.

Silock
11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Funny, I've never had a hardware incompatibility with my Mac. I've had two printers and two scanners, and in each case I just plugged them in and didn't even need to install drivers. Same with external drives, and many other external USB devices.

And I work in IT, as I said before, and all but one of us in my office has Mac at home. Most computer professionals I know prefer Mac. Plus you get a UNIX command line, which is really nice. You can have the DOS command line that comes on your PC. Useless.

Dude, we are not talking about Macintoshes. We are talking about Hackintoshes. Completely different. And you're a systems admin? How is it possible you don't know what that is?

<-- typing on Windows XP running on my Mac lol irony

MTG#10
11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I know I do this every time there's a thread like this and its not funny anymore, I just cant resist.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fire Me Boy!
11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
http://tinyurl.com/5zhkxb