PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Victory puts a smile on Gonzalez’s face

Tribal Warfare
11-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Victory puts a smile on Gonzalez’s face (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/915863.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

OAKLAND, Calif. | Tony Gonzalez was smiling again. That was new. So were his words.

He stood in front of his locker after Sunday’s 20-13 win against Oakland and talked about progress. He mentioned quarterback Tyler Thigpen and Kansas City’s wide receivers and just how different it felt to be standing there after a victory.

“Finally,” said Gonzalez, the Chiefs’ star tight end. “We’ll take it. You have no idea how good it feels to get a win. It’s been so long.”

Gonzalez is the honest one. The Chiefs have lost 10 games this season, so there’s plenty of honesty to go around. The previous seven weeks, Gonzalez used words like “frustrated” and “embarrassed,” and after one of the losses, two weeks ago, Gonzalez slipped out of the locker room without speaking to reporters. No more words.

So it was different Sunday in Oakland when Gonzalez smiled and laughed and spoke playfully about his conversations with Thigpen that seem to have helped the pair blossom into the Chiefs’ most dangerous offensive weapons. Gonzalez had eight catches Sunday for 110 yards, a week after hauling in 10 passes for 113 yards.

Thigpen, for better or worse, didn’t look toward other receivers Sunday — many times Dwayne Bowe and Will Franklin were open — and instead targeted Gonzalez. That’s usually not a good habit for a young quarterback, but Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said he’d overlook it for now.

“If I was a rookie quarterback,” Edwards said, “I’d look for him, too. You’ve got a Hall of Fame tight end. I’d find him. Any smart quarterback would do that, and he’s learning: throw it to that guy, because most of the time, he catches it.”

Gonzalez has had one of the more tumultuous seasons of all the Chiefs. He asked for, and didn’t receive, a trade two months ago. He sulked and spoke out against Chiefs president Carl Peterson, saying it would’ve been best for both sides to part ways. Then Gonzalez was in Carolina when he broke the record for all-time receiving yardage for tight ends, and few outside Kansas City acknowledged it.

It’s been a long season, and in those honest moments, Gonzalez isn’t shy about detailing his frustrating season.

His mood has been different the last two weeks. Even after last week’s blowout loss to Buffalo, Gonzalez said he was hopeful for the future. Then the Chiefs beat the Raiders partly because Thigpen kept finding Gonzalez.

“We’re all getting on the same page,” he said. “We’re just reading each other, and he’s putting the ball where I want it, and I think I’m getting open to where he feels comfortable enough to throw it to me. It’s paying off.”

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Tony's gonna be back next year.

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2008, 10:12 PM

I sure hope so.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:13 PM

DUH

CoMoChief
11-30-2008, 10:13 PM

I agree, just not with the Chiefs

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Why wouldn't he?

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:15 PM

No FUCKING way the Chiefs trade Gonzalez now.

No.

Fucking.

WAY.

blueballs
11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Tony G has more value to the CHiefs as a Chief
than any draft pick they could get for him
they need him to break in the QBotF -Thiggy or not

pr_capone
11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
No FUCKING way the Chiefs trade Gonzalez now.

No.

Fucking.

WAY.

Agreed

The Chiefs squandered the career of the best TE ever

What a waste

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Agreed

The Chiefs squandered the career of the best TE ever

What a waste

When are you going to start a trade Jackie Battle thread? Or a trade Jamal Charles thread?

:evil:

blueballs
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Franklin's getting open
is nice to hear

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Franklin's getting open
is nice to hear

Franklin = Jericho Cotchery

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Franklin = Jericho Cotchery

So now we just need to get rid of Herm? :evil:

unothadeal
11-30-2008, 10:36 PM
You think he gives a fuck about drafting first and drafting top 5?

pr_capone
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
:shake:

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
So now we just need to get rid of Herm? :evil:

IF the Chiefs had a defense, they would have beat the Jets.

IF the Chiefs had a defense, they would have beat Tampa Bay.

IF the Chiefs had a defense, they would have beat San Diego.

IF that had happened, the Chiefs would be 5-7 instead of 2-10.

This team is YOUNG and isn't too far from competing each and every week in 2008.

Herm's gonna be here for a while.

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:42 PM

Agreed.

Herm will fix the defense with more Tamba Halis, Turk McBrides and Bernard Pollards, is that it?

WOOHOO!

pr_capone
11-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Cottam, if he stays healthy, has the skills to step up and own the TE position for KC once Tony is gone.

I think he could be really great.

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2008, 10:44 PM

This team is YOUNG and isn't too far from competing each and every week in 2008.

IF the Chiefs had a defense, Herm would be doing his job.

The only reason we have an offense, in my opinion, is because of Chan Gailey.

I mean...do we really think Solari/Herm/Curl could have come up with something like this?

I'm not one to give credit to anyone other than Herm because I hate Herm...I've given Herm every chance in the world...I like Herm, I want him to succeed, I just don't think he's a good gameday coach whatsoever...there is no reason for me to think Herm has anything to do with the emergence of our offense and our ability to actually devise a gameplan for the first time since Herm arrived from New York three years ago.

Herm is a defensive coach and we're on pace to have NINE sacks this year...you can't win in the NFL without a pass rush and you can't field a team that has absolutely no ability to disrupt the passer...

So like I said...IF the Chiefs had a defense, Herm would have been doing his job.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Herm will fix the defense with more Tamba Halis, Turk McBrides and Bernard Pollards, is that it?

WOOHOO!

Who would YOU have chosen with those picks?

Hali went maybe 10 places too high. TEN. Not one round or two rounds or four rounds. 10 PLACES.

Turk was ranked by everyone as a HIGH second rounder.

As for Pollard, I've never researched him, so I'll give you that.

For now.

stevieray
11-30-2008, 10:46 PM
TnT Express...

The wierd thing about the defense, despite the injuries, is they lead the league in turnovers...

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Who would YOU have chosen with those picks?

Hali went maybe 10 places too high. TEN. Not one round or two rounds or four rounds. 10 PLACES.

Turk was ranked by everyone as a HIGH second rounder.

As for Pollard, I've never researched him, so I'll give you that.

For now.

The only thing that matters is that they all arrived with high picks under Herm's watch, and they all suck to some degree.

I think Herm is completely overrated as a "defensive genius."

blueballs
I'll give Herm big props for low penalties with all these rookies
but the fuck up with two time outs to punt the ball away
is just beyond any redemption I can think of

Short Leash Hootie
Basically, I'm willing to give Herm one last shot IF...

We need to fire Gunther.

We need to make SEVERAL free agent acquisitions...I'm not talking about a New York Jets spending spree full of huge names...I'm talking about GOOD, CALCULATED, WISE spending on players with upside and a good injury history...we need to build with the draft, but we can't address all of our problems, even half of the problems we have, with only the draft this year...

We need to bring in a lot of new guys...like Bill Parcells/Tony Sparano roster cleaning style...we have 20+ guys that have no business being in the NFL on our current roster...

This has to be our most active offseason ever for me to want to give Herm a chance...and he needs to realize that...no more dead roster weight.

DaneMcCloud
IF the Chiefs had a defense, Herm would be doing his job.

So Vermeil didn't do his job, either?

How about Gunther, since the defense was a liability then?

How about everyone's personal Jesus, Marty?

His offenses SUCKED my little brown ring.

Did his job, did he?

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2008, 10:48 PM
as for the secondary ESPECIALLY the safeties...they get a whole year pass from me because of our front 7...

No pass rush puts way too much pressure on these guys...it's impossible to field a good defense with absolutely no pass rush...plain and simple.

stevieray
11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
as for the secondary ESPECIALLY the safeties...they get a whole year pass from me because of our front 7...

No pass rush puts way too much pressure on these guys...it's impossible to field a good defense with absolutely no pass rush...plain and simple.exactly why Pollard leads in tackles

pr_capone
TnT Express...

The wierd thing about the defense, despite the injuries, is they lead the league in turnovers...

A ball hawking team who can't tackle or stop the run is far from a good thing.

Short Leash Hootie

Did his job, did he?

Well...

I think Marty was a damn good coach...and I think Vermeil sold our franchises soul for a Super Bowl and he came damn close IMO...

We had the best team, on paper, in 2005...plain and simple. We could have beat anyone...

We wasted too much time on Priest that year and the Roaf injury killed us...if we beat the Cowboys and Giants like we would have 9 times out of 10 both games...I really think we could have made some big time postseason noise...

ANYWAYS...I'm not looking at the past right now...

Marty was a defensive minded coach and we played the hell out of defense.
Vermeil was an offensive minded coach and our offense was truly sensational.
Herm is a defensive minded coach and he's managed to field a defense that makes our 2003 unit look like the 2000 Ravens.

blueballs
I'll give Herm big props for low penalties with all these rookies
but the **** up with two time outs to punt the ball away
is just beyond any redemption I can think of

how anyone wants this dumbass
after that embarrassment
I can not understand

DeezNutz

Did his job, did he?

You have to concede that it's very tough to defend the performance of this defense when this is the aspect of the game that is supposed to be Herm's speciality.

I wasn't a fan of Grandpa, but he was an offensive guy, and his teams were great, offensively.

Herm has had three years, and his D's are getting worse, and the D-line is evidence A for why he should be fired. First, first, second, third. Four day one's and it still is a huge liability. It's a fucking joke, really.

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Pollard and Page suck, sorry. Both are terrible in run support. Page might stick as a nickel safety, that's it.

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
exactly why Pollard leads in tackles

Pollard has had good games and really bad games...but I think Page and Pollard have potential in this league...they are just getting NO help from our blitz schemes...what does anyone expect when a QB KNOWS he can go through all of his progressions because he knows we aren't going to get a hit on him?

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Pollard and Page suck, sorry. Both are terrible in run support. Page might stick as a nickel safety, that's it.

After this year, it's hard not to write EVERYONE off...but Page and Pollard still get a pass from me (which means jack shit) until we start showing something up front...

I think we'd be 2-10 right now with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu (or however you spell his name) as our safeties...

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 10:56 PM
After this year, it's hard not to write EVERYONE off...but Page and Pollard still get a pass from me (which means jack shit) until we start showing something up front...

They are both terrible tacklers. Whatever is in the front seven, it's irrelevant.

Greg Wesley is still better than both.

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2008, 10:58 PM
They are both terrible tacklers. Whatever is in the front seven, it's irrelevant.

Well I disagree about Greg Wesley...plus he had a good career in KC, his time was over.

They are both young and I think they both still have potential...if nothing, Pollard could always be a special teams ace...which sucks for a 2nd rounder but is a valuable part of a football team.

DeezNutz
11-30-2008, 10:58 PM

And this is where you lose all credibility. Like Page and Pollard, he fucking sucked. Worse, I suppose, since he's chilling at home, just like all of us schmucks.

Count Zarth
11-30-2008, 11:08 PM
And this is where you lose all credibility. Like Page and Pollard, he fucking sucked. Worse, I suppose, since he's chilling at home, just like all of us schmucks.

He sucked, just not as much.

Wesley had business being a starter, albeit a shitty one.

Pollard and Page don't.

stevieray
11-30-2008, 11:13 PM

Pollard and Page don't.

and you're using Pollard in your other thread?

DeezNutz
11-30-2008, 11:33 PM

Pollard and Page don't.

Wesley had more potential than either of the P brothers, I'll give you that. In fact, he should have been a monster.

But look at what Chiefs fans have been reduced to. We're arguing about which of the disappointments have been worse. Pathetic...

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Morgan will be a stud at free safety just watch.

Demonpenz
11-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Pollard has been blowing people up when he is not getting burned this year. He actually has a couple of shots that I think warrented a flag. I was surprised the lelee hit didn't get a flag

TrickyNicky
11-30-2008, 11:51 PM
We have more pressing needs, but I totally wouldn't mind taking Taylor Mays, especially since this class is deep at DE.