PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jared Allen <=> Brandon Albert?

petegz28
12-01-2008, 07:03 AM
I would throw Dorsey in the mix but Albert has been the only one performing. Now, was Albert worth trading Allen?

I say, yes. Albert has been great for a rookie who did not play the pre-season, etc, etc. I think good-great LT's are a more valued commodity than a good-great DE.

So with all the talk going on about Allen, was Albert worth the trade?

phisherman
12-01-2008, 07:10 AM
a good LT is worth it.

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Lets see how long and at what cost it takes to replace Allen. People are talking about taking Orakpo in the top 5. He'll demand money similar to Allen and who knows if he will be any good.

Delano
12-01-2008, 07:16 AM
As a Minnesota Twins baseball fan, I kind of compared certain aspects of the Jared Allen trade with the Johan Santana trade.

The thing that got me through both of them (without knowing how the traded players or draft picks would turn out) was knowing there was absolutely NO shot at resigning that player when their contract was up. There was no way Jared was coming back.

Three draft picks are worth the last year of a contract for a guy that doesn't want to play for your team.

As many have said, getting a long term left offensive tackle, a running back and safety are easily worth the one year of Jared Allen.

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Clark should have gotten rid of Peterson.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Dorsey had no bearing on that trade. We would have drafted him regardless, and he wasn't part of the compensation.

Is that so hard to understand?

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Lets see how long and at what cost it takes to replace Allen. People are talking about taking Orakpo in the top 5. He'll demand money similar to Allen and who knows if he will be any good.

That is the only caveat to asking a comparison question. We need to replace a great DE, and now we have to hope that the next one pans out. I like Orakpo but he hasn't proven anything at all in the NFL (obviously), meanwhile JA has definitly proven himself.

And JA was a 4th rounder.

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
I believe we used the extra pick wisely and got a hell of a converted LT.

Albert is playing as well as than most dedicated college LT, let alone a converted one.

Dorsey will come along next year, I am tired of hearing about him being a bust. DT is one of the toughest positions to learn going into the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
We turned 1 year of Jared Allen into 10 years of Branden Albert, plus Jamaal Charles and DaJuan Morgan.

Yes, let's bitch some more about this trade, that's all True Fans ever do, mortgage the future for today.

Impatient fucks.

Delano
12-01-2008, 07:31 AM

How long and at what cost will it take to replace the one year remaining on Allen's contract? I hope you can concede that Allen would have signed elsewhere this upcoming offseason. If so, we would be looking at a DE in the draft ANYWAY as well as a LT, a backup RB, and more DB help (since we would not have received the trade).

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
We turned 1 year of Jared Allen into 10 years of Branden Albert, plus Jamaal Charles and DaJuan Morgan.

Yes, let's bitch some more about this trade, that's all True Fans ever do, mortgage the future for today.

Impatient ****s.

And let's not forget the 60 mil contract.

I think we have players to build a team around now. they are raw but they are learning their positions with little or no role models, save maybe Cottam.

Everyone forgets that last year Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr, Charles, and everyone else that is starting or get significant playing time were taking finals last year at this time and playing college football. Now they are starting on an NFL football team. Money doesn't buy experience and technique.

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
How long and at what cost will it take to replace the one year remaining on Allen's contract? I hope you can concede that Allen would have signed elsewhere this upcoming offseason. If so, we would be looking at a DE in the draft ANYWAY as well as a LT, a backup RB, and more DB help (since we would not have received the trade).

:clap:

JASONSAUTO
12-01-2008, 07:36 AM

Impatient fucks.

AGREED

Agent V
12-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Offensive line is my first priority. Thigpen's output wouldn't be near as impressive (yes, not all that great in the last two games) without his blindside protected. Albert has done one hell of a job. And you know what the most important thing is that he's done? He's made McIntosh look even worse.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Impatient ****s.

True, the Chiefs had to give up their best now defensive player, but Albert can anchor an offensive line for the next decade. Well worth the trade.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Dorsey had no bearing on that trade. We would have drafted him regardless, and he wasn't part of the compensation.

This is a very simplistic way to look at this. There is no way the Chiefs draft Dorsey if they didn't have the second first round pick. They would have traded down. DT was too much of a luxury. They would have traded down to 10 or so and grabbed Albert there.

Frankly, the Chiefs don't have this draft without Allen. The Allen trade gave them the flexibility to go BPA throughout the whole draft.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
This is a very simplistic way to look at this. There is no way the Chiefs draft Dorsey if they didn't have the second first round pick. They would have traded down. DT was too much of a luxury. They would have traded down to 10 or so and grabbed Albert there.

Frankly, the Chiefs don't have this draft without Allen. The Allen trade gave them the flexibility to go BPA throughout the whole draft.

DT was absolutely not a luxury. It was as big of a need as any other position on the team.

Unless you think that Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards were long term answers.

JASONSAUTO
12-01-2008, 07:52 AM
DT was absolutely not a luxury. It was as big of a need as any other position on the team.

tank has played better this year, no?

CoMoChief
12-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Can't beat anyone if you cant play defense.

Our offense isn't anywhere close enough to exactly call it "a threat" yet.

As of now, the Jared Allen trade is biting us in the ass.....hard, considering the inj we have had at that position alone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:54 AM
tank has played better this year, no?

Name one other DT on our squad worthy of starting in the NFL who isn't Glenn Dorsey or Tyler.

JASONSAUTO
12-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Name one other DT on our squad worthy of starting in the NFL who isn't Glenn Dorsey or Tyler.

none, but in your last post you had tank in it

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Can't beat anyone if you cant play defense.

Our offense isn't anywhere close enough to exactly call it "a threat" yet.

As of now, the Jared Allen trade is biting us in the ass.....hard, considering the inj we have had at that position alone.

Would you rather have Branden Albert, DaJuan Morgan, Charles, and a top five pick, or Michael Oher/Andre Smith and nothing else?

It's that simple.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
none, but in your last post you had tank in it

The last time I checked we ran a 4-3, which generally means we need two starting DTs.

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 07:59 AM

If the question is was it better to get a 1st and 2 3rds for a player that will only play one more year, then it is a no brainer that doesn't require any discussion whatsoever.

In the bigger picture, if I were GM I reach a deal with my only talented defensive player at the most important defensive position and wrap him up long term.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM

It WAS a luxury... and would have been even MORE so if Allen was still on the team.

DT and DE play off each other. With a premier DE, you can still get pressure with mid level DT's.

Tank Tyler and Boone would have been a solid starting pair. Ron Edwards is good depth and even Tamba and Turk can rotate inside well.

Other than TE, and MAYBE RB, DT was the most solid position going into the draft.

CoMoChief
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Would you rather have Branden Albert, DaJuan Morgan, Charles, and a top five pick, or Michael Oher/Andre Smith and nothing else?

It's that simple.

What do you mean "and nothing else"? We would still have a Probowl DE

They don't exactly grow on trees you know. They're almost as rare as Probowl LT's.

Let me ask you this? what has Morgan done to where he can't even beat out a Medicore Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard? Granted Pollard has played a little better this season he's still not played up to his 2nd rd pick status.

Albert is the key in this whole thing, but to be honest, Oher and Smith are better than Albert.

Rb's are very easy to find, we could have also drafted Tashard Choice instead I bet Gailey was lobbying for that hard.

I still don't like that we traded Allen, but I gotta deal with it because there's nothing anyone can do now. It's sure as hell watching him play.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Alfonso Boone.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
When Alberts starts making the Pro Bowl as a dominant LT, than we can talk. I'm glad to have him on the team, but we let a perennial PBer go at a premier position-let's not act like we didn't.

Fish
12-01-2008, 08:25 AM
It WAS a luxury... and would have been even MORE so if Allen was still on the team.

DT and DE play off each other. With a premier DE, you can still get pressure with mid level DT's.

Tank Tyler and Boone would have been a solid starting pair. Ron Edwards is good depth and even Tamba and Turk can rotate inside well.

Other than TE, and MAYBE RB, DT was the most solid position going into the draft.

:doh!:

What? 3 of our top 5 draft picks went to DT, RB, and TE. You're smoking crack.....

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 08:32 AM

In order for the Chiefs defensive scheme to work the DT's have to be able to draw double teams, plug the middle, and still collapse the pocket. That is a lot to ask from the big guys in the middle. This means they need to be real athletes not just mid-level DT's. I agree with Hamas (:eek: did I say that?) it was a position of need.

In my opinion this defense starts with the DT's. But, since so much responsibility is placed on the DL they also need quality DE's, which is why I see it as the highest need in the coming draft.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Alfonso Boone.

Your and idiot.

Brock
12-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Alfonso Boone.

is not worth mentioning.

EyePod
12-01-2008, 08:50 AM

I don't think he'll be getting money similar to Allen. I mean, JA got the biggest deal for a defensive end, didn't he? I agree that we miss him, but this is rebuilding. We shouldn't pay someone like JA when we're this terrible.

Brock
12-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Orakpo might not be Jared Allen, but he also isn't on the verge of being suspended for a season if he takes the wrong cold medicine or whatever.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't think he'll be getting money similar to Allen. I mean, JA got the biggest deal for a defensive end, didn't he? I agree that we miss him, but this is rebuilding. We shouldn't pay someone like JA when we're this terrible.So we should let Thiggy walk when his contract is up?Afterall the team still sucks.

EyePod
12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
In order for the Chiefs defensive scheme to work the DT's have to be able to draw double teams, plug the middle, and still collapse the pocket. That is a lot to ask from the big guys in the middle. This means they need to be real athletes not just mid-level DT's. I agree with Hamas (:eek: did I say that?) it was a position of need.

In my opinion this defense starts with the DT's. But, since so much responsibility is placed on the DL they also need quality DE's, which is why I see it as the highest need in the coming draft.

Well you're completely wrong. The cover 2 needs PASS RUSH 1st!!! Dorsey has been drawing double teams, and I'm pretty sure they've been doubling Tank too. Our DE's are so bad that they can be easily singled. Plus, without a pass rush, it puts too much pressure on our secondary (especially DB's built for the cover 2).

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Orakpo might not be Jared Allen, but he also isn't on the verge of being suspended for a season if he takes the wrong cold medicine or whatever.

Allen isn't on the verge of being suspended a year either. His slate was wiped clean months ago.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Allen isn't on the verge of being suspended a year either. His slate was wiped clean months ago.

At the time he was and it wasn't.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Tamba Hali will save us!

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 09:18 AM
At the time he was and it wasn't.

JARED ALLEN OUT OF THE SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM
Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2008, 9:45 a.m. EDT
Every Vikings fan can now exhale. Defensive end Jared Allen is no longer one crazy Friday night away from a one-year suspension.

Per the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Allen is out of the league’s substance abuse program. Moving forward, a positive test will not subject him to a suspension.

“I don’t have to tell them where I travel to anymore,” Allen said. “I’m back to being a normal citizen in the NFL.”

Allen doesn’t have to keep the league informed as to his whereabouts because “membership” in the program requires players to be available at a moment’s notice for an unannounced test.

Though it makes Allen’s day-to-day life easier, the absence of the constant threat of a drug and alcohol test means that the temptation to get reacquainted will the Reverend Al K. Hall could return. And so it’s now more important that ever, in our view, for Allen to remain dedicated to avoiding the liquid poison that nearly derailed his NFL career.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
September 25, 2008, 9:45 a.m. EDT

This was long after the draft, yes?

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
This was long after the draft, yes?

I posted the link to refute your claim that his slate wasn't wiped clean. It was known prior to the draft that it could possibly be wiped clean early in the 2008 season.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:39 AM
I posted the link to refute your claim that his slate wasn't wiped clean. It was known prior to the draft that it could possibly be wiped clean early in the 2008 season.

I said "At the time". As in "At the time of the whole Jared Allen fiasco". Your link didn't refute anything.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
It was known prior to the draft that it could possibly be wiped clean early in the 2008 season.

Link?

J Diddy
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM

It is known at this time that I could possibly win a million dollars playing lotto.

TrickyNicky
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
If he DUI's again, it should be jail time. Of course, thats for Joe Schmoe, not Purple Jesus.

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Link?

If players keep clean for two years they leave the program.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
It amazes me that anyone could bitch about this trade. It might be the single smartest thing Carl Peterson has done in his 19 years in KC.

At WORST, it's a dead-even swap. Filling a hole at arguably the most important offensive position, while creating a hole at DE.

At best, it's an absolute landslide in our favor, as we've filled THREE holes while only creating one.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

For what Jared Allen was asking for in terms of compensation, and accounting for what he actually provides on the field, I'll trade him for a franchise LT straight up every day of the week and not blink. Charles and Morgan are just icing on the cake.

Brock
12-01-2008, 10:24 AM
If players keep clean for two years they leave the program.

So what is the penalty for an ensuing positive test? I'm just asking this question to avoid another pages long argument about whether betting on a probable addict is a good bet.

JASONSAUTO
12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
So what is the penalty for an ensuing positive test? I'm just asking this question to avoid another pages long argument about whether betting on a probable addict is a good bet.

1 year:shrug:

blueballs
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
didn't allen say
he would NOT sign a long term deal with the Chiefs
under any circumstances EVER

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
The point is, we a fixed a hole only create another one which was already filled with one of the best players in the league at the position. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. While I understand we also did well by attaining additional picks, some act like discarding a genuine premier DE was the greatest move in the history of the NFL. We gave up something that we are now going to have to address with, you guessed it TOP MONEY and an additional PICK in the draft, with only a shot that said player will live up to JAs play. I'm okay with the move, but it seems a bit short-sighted in the grand scheme of things, considering we now have to address the pass-rush, when one side was already sured up. I prefer the team keep the premium players and ADD to them and actually BUILD the team. Blowing up what already is working well, isn't a rebuild, that's a demolition.

Micjones
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
It amazes me that anyone could bitch about this trade. It might be the single smartest thing Carl Peterson has done in his 19 years in KC.

At WORST, it's a dead-even swap. Filling a hole at arguably the most important offensive position, while creating a hole at DE.

At best, it's an absolute landslide in our favor, as we've filled THREE holes while only creating one.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

For what Jared Allen was asking for in terms of compensation, and accounting for what he actually provides on the field, I'll trade him for a franchise LT straight up every day of the week and not blink. Charles and Morgan are just icing on the cake.

The real problem here is the wrong player got the big payday.
The money should've gone to Allen not Johnson.

Same scenario as Edwards/Warfield. The wrong player got the big contract.

I have been very satisfied with Albert thus far, but we really haven't gained anything by improving the Offensive Line while handicapping the Defensive Line. We just created a problem for the Defensive Line. A problem that will see this defense being the most futile at getting to the QB in league history.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
The point is, we a fixed a hole only create another one which was already filled with one of the best players in the league at the position. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. While I understand we also did well by attaining additional picks, some act like discarding a genuine premier DE was the greatest move in the history of the NFL. We gave up something that we are now going to have to address with, you guessed it TOP MONEY and an additional PICK in the draft, with only a shot that said player will live up to JAs play. I'm okay with the move, but it seems a bit short-sighted in the grand scheme of things, considering we now have to address the pass-rush, when one side was already sured up. I prefer the team keep the premium players and ADD to them and actually BUILD the team. Blowing up what already is working well, isn't a rebuild, that's a demolition.

Do we really have to go through this again?

1) Allen wanted out. Period. He said he'd never sign a long-term deal in KC.

2) Sorry, but he's not worth $70M. Not even close. He's having an average year playing next to the best DT combo in the league. There's no reason to only have 10 sacks if you're being paid as the best defensive player in the league. None.

3) You can get a DE in just about any round of the draft. People that say we HAVE to replace Allen with a #1 pick are being ridiculous - apparently, they have forgotten that Allen himslef was a FOURTH round pick.

4) We filled a hole at the most important position on the offense for the next decade, and potentially have filled holes at 2 other positions as well, all while saving over $50M in the process.

5) We won 4 games last year while the guy had a CAREER year. He's not exactly the mising link you guys think he is. Would we have more sacks with Allen in the lineup? Sure. Would we be giving up MORE sacks without Albert in the lineup. Absolutely. Would we have more wins as a TEAM with Allen, but without Albert, Morgan and Charles? No fucking way, IMO.

CoMoChief
Thus far it looks to be a push.

We all know the real problem is the fact that they gave money to the wrong player (Larry Johnson).

I love the fact that we drafted backups with the picks we got from Allen.

Pure genious i tell ya.

Thing about it is, McIntosh is a lot better a LT than RT, and could have done a lot better over there this season, then this draft we draft Smith/Oher.

How many games this year could Thigpen won with a good pass rush? How much would it have helped Dorsey? etc

If I know one thing is that you dont EVER trade young good players.

Fuck the whole DUI shit, there are far more worse things than that.

Mr. Laz

not necessarily

if we don't have the pick later then i think the Chiefs trade down instead of drafting Dorsey.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
didn't allen say
he would NOT sign a long term deal with the Chiefs
under any circumstances EVER
...... because Peterson is a dick

we could of fired Peterson and signed Allen imo

blueballs
12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
to be fair Albert wasn't all Allen trade
they used the 5th from Miami for Green
to move up

Chiefnj2
12-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Let's trade Albert for a first and two thirds. The Chiefs can get another LT and fill two more holes with one trade.

blueballs
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
...... because Peterson is a dick

we could of fired Peterson and signed Allen imo

I don't blame Peterson for not taking a chance on Allen
but the way he handled it was wrong -same with Green

CoMoChief
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't blame Peterson for not taking a chance on Allen
but the way he handled it was wrong -same with Green

And Gonzalez.......it all comes down to Carl.

He's an asshole, and lets his ego get in the way of everything.

blueballs
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
If Carl would have handled Jared right
they could have tagged and signed him a year latter
but so far I like the trade -it will take time to tell though

Brock
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
And Gonzalez.......it all comes down to Carl.

He's an asshole, and lets his ego get in the way of everything.

What was he supposed to do with Gonzalez?

Micjones
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I love the fact that we drafted backups with the picks we got from Allen.

Pure genious i tell ya.

Thing about it is, McIntosh is a lot better a LT than RT, and could have done a lot better over there this season, then this draft we draft Smith/Oher.

How many games this year could Thigpen won with a good pass rush? How much would it have helped Dorsey? etc

If I know one thing is that you dont EVER trade young good players.

**** the whole DUI shit, there are far more worse things than that.

Who was acquired with the picks we received in the trade?
I know for certain that we got Albert, but was it Morgan/Charles or Flowers/Charles to go along with a franchise LT?

StcChief
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Clark should have gotten rid of Peterson.
send him to Detriot for a case of "Steel City" or other sub premium beer.

Brock
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Let's trade Albert for a first and two thirds. The Chiefs can get another LT and fill two more holes with one trade.

I'm sure you realize that's an absurd comparison.

CoMoChief
12-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I know for certain that we got Albert, but was it Morgan/Charles or Flowers/Charles to go along with a franchise LT?

We got Flowers in the 2nd rd with our own pick.

Albert Cottam and Morgan I believe is what we got thru the Allen trade.

When there are better tackles than Albert in this years draft. We could have waited a year and would have come out better IMO.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM

The day Albert asks for a ridiculous amount of money more than his actual worth, then I'd be willing to bet it would be considered.

Adding 4 DWI's and the claim that he'd never sign a long-term deal in KC would all but guarantee it.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Charles/Morgan.

Micjones
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Charles/Morgan.

Then thus far, it's a push at best.

BigRock
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM

His slate with the substance abuse program was wiped clean. That means nothing as far as Goodell is concerned.

Make no mistake, if Allen gets popped for another DUI -- which would mean another arrest after he's already been suspended for this same offense -- he is screwed beyond all recognition.

CoMoChief
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Then thus far, it's a push at best.

How? They are both backups. One in which NEVER sees the field b/c he can't beat out a worthless cover safety in Bernard Pollard.

KChiefs1
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Three draft picks are worth the last year of a contract for a guy that doesn't want to play for your team.

As many have said, getting a long term left offensive tackle, a running back and safety are easily worth the one year of Jared Allen.

:thumb:

Ebolapox
12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Alfonso Boone.

jesus fucking christ. you're high, aren't you?

kcchiefsus
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
How? They are both backups. One in which NEVER sees the field b/c he can't beat out a worthless cover safety in Bernard Pollard.

He's a fucking rookie, big deal. Just because he hasn't been able to see the field this year doesn't mean shit. Different players progress at different levels.

Micjones
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM

How about Branden Albert?