PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Draft...

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
What impact does having falling from #2 to #5 have on our draft?

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
We won't be getting our QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
It fucking sucks.

We lose out on any chance to get Stafford by Detroit fucking up and winning a game, we potentially lose a chance at the second best prospect, and we draft 3 spots lower in every other round.

It fucking sucks.

notorious
12-01-2008, 09:39 AM
It ****ing sucks.

We lose out on any chance to get Stafford by Detroit ****ing up and winning a game, we potentially lose a chance at the second best prospect, and we draft 3 spots lower in every other round.

It ****ing sucks.

Somebody has a case of the Mondays........ J/K :)

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
It isn't like Detroit will win any games this year anyways...and Millen isn't there to draft another WR. I had considered a QB just wishful thinking from the get go.

Bowser
12-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Just watch; we'll take Freeman at the top of the second round.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Just watch; we'll take Freeman at the top of the second round.....

I'd cash in my chips if we did that.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
It ****ing sucks.

We lose out on any chance to get Stafford by Detroit ****ing up and winning a game, we potentially lose a chance at the second best prospect, and we draft 3 spots lower in every other round.

It ****ing sucks.

Stafford won't amount to shit in the NFL. Quote this, now.

nychief
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
bitching about this win is idiotic. It is WHO makes the pick... not where the pick is... So we are screwed either way.

ChiefGator
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM

We are now DOOOOOMED!

ChiefGator
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM

Okay.. there you go.

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Stafford, in my mind, is gone. Detroit is terrible, probably will go 0-16 and they need a QB like I need my liver. Course I thought Quinn would go to Miami 2 years ago also, so I guess you never know.

If we don't get Orakpo, looking less likely with the win @ Oakland, we can still grab either a good LB in Laurinituis or Maualuga or take a reach and grab Michael Johnson at DE, good prospect, but not convinced he is worthy of a top 5 pick. Tyson Jackson may be available in the 2nd also.

If Bradford has a good outting at the championship (assuming they go), he might declare. With the QB stockpile limited in this coming draft, he might make the jump. Unless there has been news on him to the contrary, I'm assuming he is still undecided.

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm just happy as hell we got a win. I think we need to win more to keep everyone happy (Gonzalez) and get the young players confidence up. It's probably a lock that we'll end up in the top ten and I'm happy with that.

eazyb81
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
This draft is weak at the top. I'm one of the biggest draft guys on here, but I really don't think it's going to be a huge issue this year to pick at somewhere like 5 instead of 2.

Brock
12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
This draft is weak at the top. I'm one of the biggest draft guys on here, but I really don't think it's going to be a huge issue this year to pick at somewhere like 5 instead of 2.

I think I agree with this. None of these top defensive ends really excite me, so that basically leaves 1 quarterback and a couple of offensive tackles in the top 5, IMO. We don't have a shot at that QB, so it might be better to be in the 5-7 range.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Somtimes, being out of range of the consensus No. 1 QB in the draft (and No. 1 pick) isn't a bad thing.

Look at the 06 draft. Specifically, the six players taken after JaPorky Russell. All six likely are multiple Pro-Bowlers. Russell is likely the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

Or look at the 05 draft. Think the Packers are glad Rodgers, and not Smith, fell to 22 or whatever it was?

I know there are a lot of people who think Stafford is football jesus. But even if he IS as good as those people think, not drafting him isn't the end of the world - if you get another high-level player at your slot.

I want a franchise QB, too. But drafting a QB No. 1 overall this year isn't the ONLY way to get one.

Bowser
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I just don't want Lauranitis. He loos WAY undersized to play Mike in the NFL. Give me Cushing or Maualunga if we slide a bit.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM

What, you mean a three-year starter in the SEC whose greatest attributes are his arm strength and upside/long-term potential, who has serious issues with accuracy and decision making, not to mention a tendency to get a little chunky, and who only has one year of DECENT production and two years of SHITTY production, isn't going to be a great success in the NFL?

I mean, that doesn't sound like anybody else we know, does it?

:D

Saulbadguy
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
What, you mean a three-year starter in the SEC whose greatest attributes are his arm strength and upside/long-term potential, who has serious issues with accuracy and decision making, not to mention a tendency to get a little chunky, and who only has one year of DECENT production and two years of SHITTY production, isn't going to be a great success in the NFL?

:clap:

Exactly. Combine whores and Maddenites may disagree, though. I am seriously getting tired of the "Franchise QB" expression, it is more retarded than "true #1 wide receiver" and "shutdown corner".

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I just don't want Lauranitis. He loos WAY undersized to play Mike in the NFL. Give me Cushing or Maualunga if we slide a bit.

Some are high on Lauranitius, but I am with you on this. I believe he is a ball hawk and intelligent, but I don't think he has the size to play up to his current draft status. I think he would get pancaked by lineman, he has a lot of upside, but to start right away...I think he would struggle.

He is more of a project than Maualuga, IMHO. If Orakpo was gone, I would go with him over Lauranitius.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM

You mean that guy in Georgia with lousy footwork under pressure and no pocket pressence? Dick Curl could polish all those warts and make him a star in 9 or 10 years.

I'd rather the Chiefs obtained his receiver Massaquoi.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Bookmarked.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Exactly why I think it is a good year to trade down for extra picks.

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Stafford, in my mind, is gone. Detroit is terrible, probably will go 0-16 and they need a QB like I need my liver. Course I thought Quinn would go to Miami 2 years ago also, so I guess you never know.

If we don't get Orakpo, looking less likely with the win @ Oakland, we can still grab either a good LB in Laurinituis or Maualuga or take a reach and grab Michael Johnson at DE, good prospect, but not convinced he is worthy of a top 5 pick. Tyson Jackson may be available in the 2nd also.

If Bradford has a good outting at the championship (assuming they go), he might declare. With the QB stockpile limited in this coming draft, he might make the jump. Unless there has been news on him to the contrary, I'm assuming he is still undecided.

No to Laurinaitis. Tyson Jackson is garbage.

DeezNutz
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
I think I agree with this. None of these top defensive ends really excite me, so that basically leaves 1 quarterback and a couple of offensive tackles in the top 5, IMO. We don't have a shot at that QB, so it might be better to be in the 5-7 range.

Being in this range also opens up more possibilities. A team could consider taking a safety or LB, positions not even on the table in the top 3.

To be clear, I wanted the #1 overall, but I'm trying to find a bright spot.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
You mean that guy in Georgia with lousy footwork under pressure and no pocket pressence? Dick Curl could polish all those warts and make him a star in 9 or 10 years.

What, you mean there are a lot of similarities between Matthew Stafford and JaMarcus Russell?

Is that what it sounded like I was saying? :evil:

And you're right, I'm sure QB genius Dick Curl can instantly correct the problems that QB dunces Richt and Bobo haven't been able to fix in three years...

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Being in this range also opens up more possibilities. A team could consider taking a safety or LB, positions not even on the table in the top 3.

To be clear, I wanted the #1 overall, but I'm trying to find a bright spot.

Think Micheal Johnson will fall to round 2? No worthy of a top 10 pick, but has a great frame where he could develop into a top notch DE.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM

If it's weak at the top, who is going to want to trade up?

PhillyChiefFan
No to Laurinaitis. Tyson Jackson is garbage.

Oh I agree with you. Tyson Jackson would be a project to say the least, but I'm saying if they wanted to take a DE and Orakpo/M. Johnson wasn't there and they had to take the BPA in the first. it would be an option, not a good one, but an option nonetheless.

'Hamas' Jenkins

I'd rather you watch a fucking Georgia game before commenting on things you have no fucking idea about.

DeezNutz
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
What, you mean there are a lot of similarities between Matthew Stafford and JaMarcus Russell?

And you're right, I'm sure QB genius Dick Curl can instantly correct the problems that QB dunces Richt and Bobo haven't been able to fix in three years...

This is an honest question: what was your stance on Matt Ryan?

DeezNutz
12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Think Micheal Johnson will fall to round 2? No worthy of a top 10 pick, but has a great frame where he could develop into a top notch DE.

No. Thin at DE, so some players will get overvalued.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
And so it begins...

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:25 AM

I get to watch Stafford every week and all I can say is it would be in his best interest to stay in college and develop his game. He has maybe the best OL in the SEC and he still struggles eventhough he seldom gets touched. His footwork is horrific under pressure I mean really really bad moving around and stepping up in the pocket with pressure. Under a coach like Bill Walsh he may become a good NFL QB because he has size and arm strength, but he will need a lot of time under a good QB coach to pull it out of him. With Dick Curl as QB coach the guy would be the next coming of Todd Blackledge in KC.

eazyb81
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Someone in the 1st, probably top half of 1st, will fall in love with Johnson's measurables and take a chance on him.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
No. Thin at DE, so some players will get overvalued.

That is what I fear, which means there may be no solutions at DE in this draft unless the Chiefs reach.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
This is an honest question: what was your stance on Matt Ryan?

I liked him a lot. Was a fan of drafting him IF he fell to the Chiefs but didn't want to sacrifice the whole draft to trade up for him.

A lot of people like to point to Stafford having no talent around him, but Ryan is a true example of that. No receivers that really were even as good as Massaquoi, let alone A.J. Green. No RB anywhere CLOSE to Moreno.

And yeah, Stafford's OL has been patchwork and not very good this year, but Ryan's line never protected him any better that Stafford's has this year. And he never had the benefit of a great running back - or a dominant OL, as Stafford had the second half of 2007.

If Stafford and Ryan both are in THIS draft and I'm sitting at No. 1 wanting to take a QB, I take Ryan without even blinking.

DeezNutz
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I liked him a lot. Was a fan of drafting him IF he fell to the Chiefs but didn't want to sacrifice the whole draft to trade up for him.

A lot of people like to point to Stafford having no talent around him, but Ryan is a true example of that. No receivers that really were even as good as Massaquoi, let alone A.J. Green. No RB anywhere CLOSE to Moreno.

And yeah, Stafford's OL has been patchwork and not very good this year, but Ryan's line never protected him any better that Stafford's has this year. And he never had the benefit of a great running back - or a dominant OL, as Stafford had the second half of 2007.

If Stafford and Ryan both are in THIS draft and I'm sitting at No. 1 wanting to take a QB, I take Ryan without even blinking.

Ok, very good. There's a strand of poster on this site who is anti any highly drafted QB. Glad this isn't you.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I. He has maybe the best OL in the SEC and he still struggles eventhough he seldom gets touched. .

He has 3 FRESHMEN on his line, you fucking moron.

His Completion % has gone up every year. His yardage has gone up every year. His touchdows have gone up every year. His YPA has gone up every year, and his rating has gone up every year.

If you want to talk about someone who never gets touched, talk about Sam Bradford.

DeezNutz
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
That is what I fear, which means there may be no solutions at DE in this draft unless the Chiefs reach.

Maybe that stash of FA money will come in handy?

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
He has 3 FRESHMEN on his line, you ****ing moron.

His Completion % has gone up every year. His yardage has gone up every year. His touchdows have gone up every year. His YPA has gone up every year, and his rating has gone up every year.

If you want to talk about someone who never gets touched, talk about Sam Bradford.

Go watch a Bulldog game once in a while.

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I get to watch Stafford every week and all I can say is it would be in his best interest to stay in college and develop his game. He has maybe the best OL in the SEC and he still struggles eventhough he seldom gets touched. His footwork is horrific under pressure I mean really really bad moving around and stepping up in the pocket with pressure. Under a coach like Bill Walsh he may become a good NFL QB because he has size and arm strength, but he will need a lot of time under a good QB coach to pull it out of him. With Dick Curl as QB coach the guy would be the next coming of Todd Blackledge in KC.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Saulbadguy
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM

This right here is the measurable for a solid, can't miss NFL prospect, folks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
This right here is the measurable for a solid, can't miss NFL prospect, folks.

Combine that with a guy who can read a defense, who has an elite arm, who is mobile, tough, and who is a leader on his team, and it's as close as you are going to get.

Please though, I want to hear about how drafting Michael Oher or Andre Smith is the path to success.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh I agree with you. Tyson Jackson would be a project to say the least, but I'm saying if they wanted to take a DE and Orakpo/M. Johnson wasn't there and they had to take the BPA in the first. it would be an option, not a good one, but an option nonetheless.

Jackson in 2/3 would be OK. Earlier than that is a stretch, I think.

This is going to be an interesting draft. It is probably going to be heavy on franchise tackles, quick slot receiver/return guys, and productive RBs who don't project at full-time guys/don't have the speed to be NFL starters. Weird collection.

Other than the three tackles, there are a lot of guys who would be reaches at No. 5 or be guys taken a little out of the normal draft slot for their position.

Taylor Mays is a special, special athlete, but taking a safety in the top 10 always raises some eyebrows (and traditionally is a reach).

Each of the top LBs has some warts (Muauluga isn't fluid and not great moving laterally, Laurenitis doesn't shed blocks well, etc).

The DE class is thin, as stated, and there is no guy who is certain to be an every-down stud.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Go watch a Bulldog game once in a while.

I'd like to know how you can watch any with your head lodged in your ass. Not only have I watched several Georgia games this year, I've done it while posting on this site. You clearly don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, because you just claimed that someone with a line incapable of opening holes that has three freshmen on it is the best in the SEC.

Stop Googling your arguments, it makes you look like a dumbass.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM

And Bradford too. What use is a fucking College Sophomore to an NFL team? Unless you really, REALLY need that extra Clipboard Holder on your sideline; you're just wasting your pick.

Goddammit; I hate fantasy football, and I'd genuinely love to kill the motherfucker who created it, if only for the reason that it has completely lowered the reality level of NFL fans when it comes to drafting.

Planetman
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
And Bradford too. What use is a ****ing College Sophomore to an NFL team? Unless you really, REALLY need that extra Clipboard Holder on your sideline; you're just wasting your pick.

Goddammit; I hate fantasy football, and I'd genuinely love to kill the mother****er who created it, if only for the reason that it has completely lowered the reality level of NFL fans when it comes to drafting.
I challenge you to make 20 consecutive posts without cursing.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I challenge you to make 20 consecutive posts without cursing.

Challenge NOT accepted. DCS says; "User CP to the upper left of your screen".

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
And Bradford too. What use is a ****ing College Sophomore to an NFL team? Unless you really, REALLY need that extra Clipboard Holder on your sideline; you're just wasting your pick.

Goddammit; I hate fantasy football, and I'd genuinely love to kill the mother****er who created it, if only for the reason that it has completely lowered the reality level of NFL fans when it comes to drafting.

Funny side note: Sam Bradford is about six months OLDER than Stafford and has been in college just as long.

Not that those factors alone are enough to say Bradford is a better prospect or anything... just think it's funny.

Planetman
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Challenge NOT accepted. DCS says; "User CP to the upper left of your screen".
I am aware of the User CP. I just wanted to see if you would man up or not.

I now have my answer.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

That, and Madden, and NFL Head Coach, and the NFL Combine.

The Bad Guy
12-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Stafford is now a pipe dream because the NFL has become so saturated with awful teams.

3 years ago, teams that were 2-10 had a legit shot at the top spot. Now, we are the 5th worst team with just 2 wins.

With the 5 spot, we should grab the MLB from USC.

Orakpo and Johnson aren't elite ends. The big tackles are all LT's, and I'm 100% against moving Brendan Albert for some unknown rookie.

This defense needs someone who can fly to the football and create havoc. They also need a stud DE (which they have to try to get in free agency). This team hasn't had a long-term prospect at MLB since Donnie in 1997.

An ideal scenario for me would be Rey in the first, Duke Robinson in the 2nd.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Funny side note: Sam Bradford is about six months OLDER than Stafford and has been in college just as long.

Not that those factors alone are enough to say Bradford is a better prospect or anything... just think it's funny.

The NCAA should institute a rule that you can't declare until the END of your Junior Year.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
The NCAA should institute a rule that you can't declare until the END of your Junior Year.

They already have that. You have to be out of high school three years which Bradford would be since he redshirted.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
I am aware of the User CP. I just wanted to see if you would man up or not.

I now have my answer.

What exactly is "Man-Up" about that? Find a legitimate topic for your entertainment instead of this motherfucking bullshit.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
They already have that. You have to be out of high school three years which Bradford would be since he redshirted.

College Junior Year.

Planetman
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
What exactly is "Man-Up" about that? Find a legitimate topic for your entertainment instead of this mother****ing bullshit.
Oh my. It appears that someone slipped back into full douche bag mode again. What a shame.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Why? How many guys that declare after three years are extremely productive as a freshman anyway? It's a small percentage.

That first year usually is spent adjusting to the speed of the game and getting bigger and stronger. What's the difference if that is as a part-time player or as a redshirt on the scout team?

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
College Junior Year.

It is their junior year just not in football terms.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 11:12 AM

This and this.

We weren't getting Stafford regardless of the result of yesterday's game.

To say that we're not going to get an impact player at a position of need picking in the Top 5, or even Top 10 for that matter, is absurd.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh my. It appears that someone slipped back into full douche bag mode again. What a shame.

Oh my. That last post was tongue and cheek. But if you want to continue to prod me with your virtual jackass stick, go right ahead; you'll get no more responses.

Planetman
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh my. That last post was tongue and cheek. But if you want to continue to prod me with your virtual jackass stick, go right ahead; you'll get no more responses.
You're leaving the boards forever?

AWESOME!

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Why? How many guys that declare after three years are extremely productive as a freshman anyway? It's a small percentage.

That first year usually is spent adjusting to the speed of the game and getting bigger and stronger. What's the difference if that is as a part-time player or as a redshirt on the scout team?

Okay, but what does a guy like Stoops do when Bradford leaves at the end of this season? What kind of value does a college coach get from developing a kid out of high school, only to lose him to the NFL after two seasons?

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Okay, but what does a guy like Stoops do when Bradford leaves at the end of this season? What kind of value does a college coach get from developing a kid out of high school, only to lose him to the NFL after two seasons?

If he's a good coach then he has another guy who has red-shirted ready to step in.

Planetman
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
A neg rep with a reply, is still a response.

Not only a douche bag, ladies and gentlemen but a liar as well.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM

The same value most coaches get from a guy who plays 10 percent of the snaps his freshman year and declares after his junior campaign.

Darth CarlSatan
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
The same value most coaches get from a guy who plays 10 percent of the snaps his freshman year and declares after his junior campaign.

Well, it's not going to change because I say so, so points and knowledge appreciated.

Stinger
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

If it's weak at the top, who is going to want to trade up?

Lot easier to dangle the 5th pick instead of the 2nd given the pick compensation the other team would have to give up and not to mention the Salary signing bonus that the 2nd pick will demand. Teams sometime try to reach in that area.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Lot easier to dangle the 5th pick instead of the 2nd given the pick compensation the other team would have to give up and not to mention the Salary signing bonus that the 2nd pick will demand. Teams sometime try to reach in that area.

Exactly.

There hasn't been a team trade from outside the Top 5 to inside the Top 5 in over 10 years. And there have only been a couple trades from team both inside the Top 5. (Rivers/Manning and Vick/Tomlinson)

Movement between teams in the 6-15 range is much more common.

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Movement between teams in the 6-15 range is much more common.

That is a great way to land a Sims....

xbarretx
12-01-2008, 11:56 AM
i dont think this was mentioned but if it was...sorry.

currently the draft order is

Lions (0 - 12) *pretty much a lock for #1 since there last 4 games are hell

Bengals (1-10-1) *could win the final game at home against KC

Rams (2-10) *one of these will get one more win since they play head to head*

Seahawks (2-10) *one of these will get one more win since they play head to head*

Chiefs (2-10) *doubt we win in denver, Chargers (depending on how they do against the radiers could be a win or a loss at home, miami will spank us, and the bengals could beat us since its an away game for us.)

Raiders (3 - 10) *might get one more win against HOU*

so if we lose out we pick 2 or 3

if we win one we pick 5 b/c chargers, niners, browns, texans, and jags will all get at least one more win.

so even if we win two were still picking 5

at least thats my assumptions...no flaming me for trying to give a serious guess on the rest of the season :p

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd like to know how you can watch any with your head lodged in your ass. Not only have I watched several Georgia games this year, I've done it while posting on this site. You clearly don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, because you just claimed that someone with a line incapable of opening holes that has three freshmen on it is the best in the SEC.

Stop Googling your arguments, it makes you look like a dumbass.

It amazes me how you hold yourself up as an expert and judge all others to be dumbasses with your only authority is you watched some games and posted on Chiefs Planet.

All of your posting knowledge doesn't change the fact that Stafford doesn't move well in the pocket even though he seldom gets touched. His best throws are typically on the move. He has poor decission making ability so he typically locks onto a single receiver. He is a three year starter and has under performed even though he has one of the best receivers in the SEC in Massaquoi.

He may become a serviceable QB in the NFL, but he is far from ready. Under the coaching of Dick Curl Stafford will take years to be ready to assume leadership.

Here in Atlanta I have yet to find any UGA fan that is overly impressed with Stafford. When I ask local UGA fans if they think Stafford will make a good NFL QB the most common response he might make a good 2nd or 3rd string QB. These are knowledgeable fans who have good reason for their opinion. That is more credible than you who can watch TV and post on a BB.

My opinion on the UGA OL is based on how Stafford seldom gets touched when he drops back to pass. Those three Freshmen you speak of are doing a great job.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
If you think Massaquoi is Georgia's best WR then your opinion is null. AJ Green is the stud.

jjchieffan
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
God forbid we pick fifth in the draft. Then we will be stuck taking scrubs like Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Flowers when it is our turn to pick. Oh noes! We are dooooomed!

banyon
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
We need to keep taking shots at QB until we land someone solid. Doing otherwise is a ticket to perpetual mediocrity in this league. (Unless you think Thigpen is a Pro-Bowl caliber guy, and I don't).

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
If you think Massaquoi is Georgia's best WR then your opinion is null. AJ Green is the stud.

Green is a stud and as a Freshman could really become something special, but Massaquoi will be in the 2009 draft and reminds me of Eddy Royal. Just my personal opinion I think he could be an effective NFL WR.

aturnis
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
It ****ing sucks.

It ****ing sucks.

St. Louis and Seattle play here soon. One of those teams will HAVE to win. So unless we we more games, we will move up to at least 4th. We also play Cincinnati the last week of the season. If we lose that, we'd be back to second or third depending on the other teams.

Direckshun
12-01-2008, 01:10 PM

None.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
None.

QFT

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
God forbid we pick fifth in the draft. Then we will be stuck taking scrubs like Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Flowers when it is our turn to pick. Oh noes! We are dooooomed!

LMAO

Yeah, the Broncos were really screwed by picking 12th, weren't they?

Clady and Royal really suck...

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
To me, I would rather win a few down the stretch. I don't care who it is, everyone and I mean everyone is a gamble in the draft. All you have to do is take a look at Ryan Leaf/Tom Brady and that argument can be made all over the place with every position. Right now, I think confidence and a winning attitude will do much more for this team than getting the 3rd pick as opposed to the 10th.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I think fans need to stop and think for a second and just think about this whole team. I hear a lot of posts expressing the praise for Stafford. And I know there are ppl out there that would absolutely love it if the Chiefs take him. Which is fine. But realistically do you really think that by taking him(Stafford), that one guy is gonna make a world of a difference on a terrible team like Kansas City? He may or may not? Who knows. But this team needs help everywhere. Even if they had Tom Brady or Peyton Manning they would improve but I assure you they won't win a bowl even with those guys under center ok? you can have an all world QB but if you can't stop anybody and your team is bad all round you aint winning.

Now im not saying they should go defense. but this team has a lot of holes. I still think the offensive line needs help, the defensive line needs help, this team could use linebackers, safeties, maybe even another receiver? A rb? anywhere they could use help..With that being said, I wouldn't exactly fixate my mind on Stafford. If he is there, and they take him great. If not, you still have some excellent prospects. Oher, A. Smith, Mauluga, Taylor Mays are to name a few. They just have to go BPA imo. You look at this team and that is the best solution for improvement honestly. No other way, and that would be a step in the right direction for this franchise especially given that it has a long way to go.

I hope the Chiefs have a good draft overall and it's not just the 1st rounder were looking at doing well. You're looking at the guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and possibly late round picks that have to do well for you as well. You want improvement, it's how you draft well overall, not just the top picks in the draft. You need to score on like 5 draft picks and those guys have to come in and be key contributors to your team and have impacts in order for your team to make significant progress. That, my friends is how you get it done.

the Talking Can
12-01-2008, 01:21 PM
It amazes me how you hold yourself up as an expert and judge all others to be dumbasses with your only authority is you watched some games and posted on Chiefs Planet.

All of your posting knowledge doesn't change the fact that Stafford doesn't move well in the pocket even though he seldom gets touched. His best throws are typically on the move. He has poor decission making ability so he typically locks onto a single receiver. He is a three year starter and has under performed even though he has one of the best receivers in the SEC in Massaquoi.

He may become a serviceable QB in the NFL, but he is far from ready. Under the coaching of Dick Curl Stafford will take years to be ready to assume leadership.

Here in Atlanta I have yet to find any UGA fan that is overly impressed with Stafford. When I ask local UGA fans if they think Stafford will make a good NFL QB the most common response he might make a good 2nd or 3rd string QB. These are knowledgeable fans who have good reason for their opinion. That is more credible than you who can watch TV and post on a BB.

My opinion on the UGA OL is based on how Stafford seldom gets touched when he drops back to pass. Those three Freshmen you speak of are doing a great job.

i live in athens

and basically nothing you've just said has any bearing to reality

uga fans think Stafford is at best a backup?
Stafford locks onto WRs?
He has a great OL?

and he has poor decision making ability?

even though he routinely calls audibles, completes over 60% of his passes, has over a 2-1 td/int ration, a QB rating of 153, and averages almost 10 yards per completion...are you fucking kidding me?

what is this nonsense?

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 01:22 PM
i live in athens

Stafford locks onto WRs?
He has a great OL?

even though he routinely calls audibles, completes over 60% of his passes, has over a 2-1 td/int ration, a QB rating of 153, and averages almost 10 yards per completion...are you fucking kidding me?

what is this nonsense?

Greece is awesome

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Massaquoi HAS been Stafford's best receiver 2 of the 3 years Stafford has started at UGA. And he is a legit NFL guy who is having a fine season (now that teams have to respect the other side of the field).

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Greece is awesome

ROFL

mylittlepony
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
It might be controversial but I think under the premises Stafford gone Oher, Smith gone. The BPA is Taylor Mays. And Im all for taking the BPA. I know he is a smacktalker but in terms of physical limitations Im not sure the kids even got any.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
i live in athens

Stafford locks onto WRs?
He has a great OL?

even though he routinely calls audibles, completes over 60% of his passes, has over a 2-1 td/int ration, a QB rating of 153, and averages almost 10 yards per completion...are you ****ing kidding me?

what is this nonsense?

I live in Atlanta and it is my opinion based on what I've witnessed and it is shared by many in this town. I don't know what people in Athens believe.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM

You're acting like Stafford is Bradford...Bradford is the one who just stands there without getting touched.

Anyone who watches Georgia sees that unless they play a shitty opponent he takes numerous shots and gets his ass kicked with his undersized and extremely young OL.

It's great if you don't like him but really stop saying he has a great OL or seldom gets touched it's a false argument.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
LMAO

Yeah, the Broncos were really screwed by picking 12th, weren't they?

Clady and Royal really suck...

You bring up a good point, IMO. The key thing is making the picks count - especially the first two. Getting two great players with those selections is more important than what position they play.

I would flip at Smith/Davis in rnds. 1/2.

Or Mays/Davis.

Or Maualuga/Johnson.

Or Smith/Spikes.

Also, if the Chiefs are picking at 5-6, and you're debating between Smith, a MLB and Taylor Mays, it's going to make the strict positional value guys' heads explode. Do you take Smith, knowing that means you either move the LT you drafted No. 16 to G or play Smith at RT? Or do you take a LB who is very good but not exceptional? Or a safety, a rare, rare top 10 pick?

I think we could see a situation where the Chiefs benefit from the draft being so tackle heavy, if the Chiefs are at No.5/6. If it gets to the Chiefs' pick with one of the three franchise-type tackles still on the board, teams like the 49ers, Texans and Packers are all in range to trade up and all are teams that could use a franchise LT.

In that situation, say you move down to 11/12 and still are able to grab either Maualuga or Mays while picking up whatever the move from No. 11/12 to No. 6 is worth (second-round pick? I'm too lazy to look it up and do the math). Four picks in the first three rounds always is nice, if you can pull it off without getting screwed...

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Ok EVERYONE here hated Ryan Clady, no one gets any points for that one.

And yes I think Taylor Mays will be one of the best players from the draft, but if we took him the board would meltdown.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
And yes I think Taylor Mays will be one of the best players from the draft, but if we took him the board would meltdown.

Why?

Because everyone's so in love with Page?

If Mays could be 80% of Sean Taylor, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Chief Faithful
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok EVERYONE here hated Ryan Clady, no one gets any points for that one.

I remember most people thinking Clady was a good LT pick, but they didn't think he was good value for 5th overall. He sure has looked good in Denver.

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
You bring up a good point, IMO. The key thing is making the picks count - especially the first two. Getting two great players with those selections is more important than what position they play.

Or Mays/Davis.

Or Maualuga/Johnson.

Or Smith/Spikes.

Also, if the Chiefs are picking at 5-6, and you're debating between Smith, a MLB and Taylor Mays, it's going to make the strict positional value guys' heads explode. Do you take Smith, knowing that means you either move the LT you drafted No. 16 to G or play Smith at RT? Or do you take a LB who is very good but not exceptional? Or a safety, a rare, rare top 10 pick?

I think we could see a situation where the Chiefs benefit from the draft being so tackle heavy, if the Chiefs are at No.5/6. If it gets to the Chiefs' pick with one of the three franchise-type tackles still on the board, teams like the 49ers, Texans and Packers are all in range to trade up and all are teams that could use a franchise LT.

In that situation, say you move down to 11/12 and still are able to grab either Maualuga or Mays while picking up whatever the move from No. 11/12 to No. 6 is worth (second-round pick? I'm too lazy to look it up and do the math). Four picks in the first three rounds always is nice, if you can pull it off without getting screwed...

I know that I am in the minority, but if you have a franchise tackle available when you pick, you take them. Smith and Oher are both big enough that they can play RT; they would make impenetrable bookends with Alberts (and if he should get hurt, you don't have a dropoff on the left side). Arena-ball scoring starts with your O-Line. Even Croyle could shine behind that line....

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Why?

Because everyone's so in love with Page?

If Mays could be 80% of Sean Taylor, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Because he has a S next to his name....in the NFL you could probably play him at SS he has great size but he can do either. Now someone will flip out that he doesn't have great stats because all he's asked to do at SC is play the deep middle, he's asked to not give up big plays and be the deep cover guy which he does a very good job at.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Or Mays/Davis.

Or Maualuga/Johnson.

Or Smith/Spikes.

I'd like to see the Chiefs trade down. honestly, Id be really happy if the Chiefs trade down. If they are picking 5th or 6th and one of the top lineman is there in Smith or Oher, and one of those teams you mentioned wants to trade up, I'd be glad if they do it. Mainly, because Im a firm believer that not only 1 guy is gonna help improve your team rather drafting well overall will. And given the circumstances and situation of this team in knowing they have many holes to fill, trading down and stocking piling on picks would be a wise option. The Chiefs could still stockpile on picks and still get a good prospect picking at 11th or 12th?

Brock
12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Because he has a S next to his name....in the NFL you could probably play him at SS he has great size but he can do either. Now someone will flip out that he doesn't have great stats because all he's asked to do at SC is play the deep middle, he's asked to not give up big plays and be the deep cover guy which he does a very good job at.

You've mentioned it several times, and I have yet to see anyone have much reaction to it at all. There are those who are going to "flip out" no matter who's picked, you yourself have done it more than once.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
And now we're back to all the trade down talk....if we're picking 5th or 6th I'm on the Mays wagon.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
You've mentioned it several times, and I have yet to see anyone have much reaction to it at all. There are those who are going to "flip out" no matter who's picked, you yourself have done it more than once.

It'll happen as the draft gets closer...."where are his INT's"

evolve27
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I know that I am in the minority, but if you have a franchise tackle available when you pick, you take them. Smith and Oher are both big enough that they can play RT; they would make impenetrable bookends with Alberts (and if he should get hurt, you don't have a dropoff on the left side). Arena-ball scoring starts with your O-Line. Even Croyle could shine behind that line....

I agree we go after these guys two guys and add in Eugene Monroe. D-Mac is past prime and could be a backup. We couldn't potentially screw this up if we go O-line I believe.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
And now we're back to all the trade down talk....if we're picking 5th or 6th I'm on the Mays wagon.

Do you really think Mays will go that high? I could see him in the 1st round, but top 10 or 5?

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Well, those people are idiots.

Polamalu and Taylor made a huge impact on their respective defenses.

If he's the BAA when the Chiefs pick, he should be chosen.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you really think Mays will go that high? I could see him in the 1st round, but top 10 or 5?

When he measures in at 6'3 230lbs and has a 40 time that is sub 4.4 someone will completely fall in love.

Not to mention he has 3 years of starting experience in a pro style defense and is very good in coverage. When you see that SC never gets beat deep, he's why alot of times he's asked to cover that by himself, the amount of field he's asked to cover is ridiculous yet he does it.

the Talking Can
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM

i'm getting there...DE is a more valuable position, but Mays is a better player than any DE available...i think, but i haven't watched the DEs much so...

I think Mays is a probowler...he looks like a freak flying around the usc defense

not sure orakpo is

that's the question...

if we got Mays/Spikes I'd be pretty stoked even though we'd still have a tragedy at the DE position...

KChiefs1
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Maulauga will still be available at #5...he's the game-changer in this draft IMHO....

OnTheWarpath58

If what you say is true, then you've brought it on yourself.

You continue to beat the drum that it's horrible value to take a MLB in the Top 5, but then are advocating doing the exact same thing by taking a safety Top 5, which would also be horrible value.

If #5 is too high to take a MLB, which we DESPERATELY need, then it's also too high to take a Safety with that same pick. Especially when we have more pressing needs.

I'm a huge fan of Mays, but I think there will be better options available at positions of desperate need when we pick - whether it's at #2 or #8 - or anywhere in between.

the Talking Can
I live in Atlanta and it is my opinion based on what I've witnessed and it is shared by many in this town. I don't know what people in Athens believe.

you'd get laughed at if you said any of that in athens

although it is still fantasy no matter where you say it

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
One of those DE's will drop into the top of the 2nd...there's a bunch of DE's but no real true elite prospect.

Hell Cushing might drop into the top of the 2nd, and anyone who watches SC knows how much Cushing tends to stand out amongst the other great players.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Maulauga will still be available at #5...he's the game-changer in this draft IMHO....

What if I told you as someone who watches every SC game I think he's the 3rd best NFL player from that defense?

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
If we dont take Oher in the first, Mack in the 2nd, and Loadholt in the 3rd then I am revolting. OL or bust.

Brock
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
If we dont take Oher in the first, Mack in the 2nd, and Loadholt in the 3rd then I am revolting. OL or bust.

ROFL

If not joking, sorry.

ChiefsCountry
What if I told you as someone who watches every SC game I think he's the 3rd best NFL player from that defense?

The DE cant think of his name the other one?

Mecca

ROFL

findthedr will make his return!

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
The DE cant think of his name the other one?

I think Mays and Cushing will be better NFL players.....SC only has 1 senior end and it's Kyle Moore and he's probably a backup in the NFL..who you thinking of the DT Moala?

RedThat
When he measures in at 6'3 230lbs and has a 40 time that is sub 4.4 someone will completely fall in love.

Not to mention he has 3 years of starting experience in a pro style defense and is very good in coverage. When you see that SC never gets beat deep, he's why alot of times he's asked to cover that by himself, the amount of field he's asked to cover is ridiculous yet he does it.

Those are some great intangibles and attributes for a safety. but im asking for your opinion Mecca, Do you think he is good enough to go in the top 5 or top 10?

Im not against picking Mays if it means improvement on the defense, I think this team could really use a stud at safety because Im not sold on either Pollard or Page. but, if the Chiefs could trade down to like 11th or 12th and stockpile on picks and still manage to pick Mays, then that would put a smile on my face. Improvement in the secondary plus stockpiling draft picks is what this fan wouldn't mind.

DaneMcCloud
One of those DE's will drop into the top of the 2nd...there's a bunch of DE's but no real true elite prospect.

Hell Cushing might drop into the top of the 2nd, and anyone who watches SC knows how much Cushing tends to stand out amongst the other great players.

Cushing isn't a first rounder, IMO.

He'd be a great value (and need) pick in the top of the 2nd.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Those are some great intangibles and attributes for a safety. but im asking for your opinion Mecca, Do you think he is good enough to go in the top 5 or top 10?

Im not against picking Mays if it means improvement on the defense, I think this team could really use a stud at safety because Im not sold on either Pollard or Page. but, if the Chiefs could trade down to like 11th or 12th and stockpile on picks and still manage to pick Mays, then that would put a smile on my face. Improvement in the secondary plus stockpiling draft picks is what this fan wouldn't mind.

If you want a guy who is an athletic freak, runs like a CB built like a LB that can cover the entire deep middle by himself, then you'll love him. Plus he has room to improve. He's still very raw as a blitzer because he's very seldom asked to do that because of his skill in coverage.

I'd take him because what Taylor Mays brings is special, he allows the team to blitz because his range allows him to get to places most other guys never could.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I think Mays and Cushing will be better NFL players.....SC only has 1 senior end and it's Kyle Moore and he's probably a backup in the NFL..who you thinking of the DT Moala?

No its the underclassman I think its Griffin? Is that right.

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

This is one of the most ridiculous pieces of trash I've ever seen about evaluating a player.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:10 PM
No its the underclassman I think its Griffin? Is that right.

Oh Everson, he's a freak too but only a true sophomore so I wasn't really thinking about him.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh Everson, he's a freak too but only a true sophomore so I wasn't really thinking about him.

Thats him. :clap: He is going to be a stud in the NFL.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
If you want a guy who is an athletic freak, runs like a CB built like a LB that can cover the entire deep middle by himself, then you'll love him. Plus he has room to improve. He's still very raw as a blitzer because he's very seldom asked to do that because of his skill in coverage.

I'd take him because what Taylor Mays brings is special, he allows the team to blitz because his range allows him to get to places most other guys never could.

Love those qualities but I look for more. Is he is a good tackler? Because the other guys aren't. Does he have the ability to close in on angles and gaps quickly enough? Can he shed off blocks? Is he a smart football player? Does he have the ability to read an offense? Can he read a QB's eyes well enough to point where he doesn't bite on fakes and stuff. I look for good discipline, read and react, timing, physciality, smarts, reputation...is he a team first guy?

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 02:20 PM

I like Mays, too. And would be OK with him at 5/6. But then again, I'm not one of the draftniks that is a stickler for positional value.

Here's a thought: When was the last time there was an NFL draft with two guys who are as big of physical freaks at S as Mays and William Moore?

Moore is going to measure in at about 6-2 1/2, 230. If he's healthy (foot), he will run a 4.4ish time (somewhere between 4.35 and 4.45). His vertical leap will be around 40 inches.

He hasn't been placed in a system to take full advantage of his talents this year, but his physical ability is jaw dropping, just like Mays...

That's two guys with Sean Taylor-type athletic profiles in one draft. Only one in recent memory I can think of that has two such specimens...

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
All the SC players understand scheme and discipline they do what they're asked to do in an NFL style scheme.

Mays essentially sacrifices big stats to have very blah ones to do what he's told to do which is cover the deep responsibility. Other teams avoid him in the pass game so that should tell you what they think of him. If anything Mays doesn't come up on the run till he knows the RB has the ball because he realizes what his responsibility is in the defense.

I'd call him a good tackler, but you can see the difference in him and other people when he goes to the ball he explodes.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I like Mays, too. And would be OK with him at 5/6. But then again, I'm not one of the draftniks that is a stickler for positional value.

Here's a thought: When was the last time there was an NFL draft with two guys who are as big of physical freaks at S as Mays and William Moore?

Moore is going to measure in at about 6-2 1/2, 230. If he's healthy (foot), he will run a 4.4ish time (somewhere between 4.35 and 4.45). His vertical leap will be around 40 inches.

He hasn't been placed in a system to take full advantage of his talents this year, but his physical ability is jaw dropping, just like Mays...

That's two guys with Sean Taylor-type athletic profiles in one draft. Only one in recent memory I can think of that has two such specimens...

Some people like Moore because he had the big stats as a junior...I guess it's what you like Mays will time a bit faster but his stats aren't as productive because of how he's used.

It's what you like Moore has had a big stat year where he was let to freelance and make plays Mays has always been in a system that never allowed that and he had to play disciplined in his scheme.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Love those qualities but I look for more. Is he is a good tackler? Because the other guys aren't. Does he have the ability to close in on angles and gaps quickly enough? Can he shed off blocks? Is he a smart football player? Does he have the ability to read an offense? Can he read a QB's eyes well enough to point where he doesn't bite on fakes and stuff. I look for good discipline, read and react, timing, physciality, smarts, reputation...is he a team first guy?

Have you ever watched USC play? Mays is a freaking stud. And all the Trojan defense players play smart and stay to the game plan. Hell I cant stand USC but I will give them credit when credit is due.

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Have you ever watched USC play? Mays is a freaking stud. And all the Trojan defense players play smart and stay to the game plan. Hell I cant stand USC but I will give them credit when credit is due.

It's the same thing with Keith Rivers last year, very few players on that defense will have giant statistical years because they play their assignments and know the other guys on the team are just as good as them and will make the play.

No one has to be a one man team with the 130 tackles and all that, that you see some guys do in some defenses.

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
It's the same thing with Keith Rivers last year, very few players on that defense will have giant statistical years because they play their assignments and know the other guys on the team are just as good as them and will make the play.

No one has to be a one man team with the 130 tackles and all that, that you see some guys do in some defenses.

::cough::jameslaurinaitis::cough::

Mecca
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

It's really to bad we won't get to see the Florida offense matchup with the SC defense...that's the best matchup out there...

I hope you enjoy your title after you kill Oklahoma.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

ROFL

If only there was a stat that combined your tackles, and how far from the LOS they occurred...

Seems like every time I watch an OSU game, JL makes a large number of his tackles 6-10 yards from the LOS.

Am I the only one that sees this?

evolve27
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

I'd take Maualuga over Mays if both were available either one hands down over Michael Johnson. Mays has offensive coordinator game plan changing ability. Maualuga could help our inept pass rush and plug the run and can cover with speed. Only knock is if he fits in our system, may be suited for 3-4. I think one of the Tackles would be better suited over them however at this point. Hope he can stay healthy in the Pros if we go ILB.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Some people like Moore because he had the big stats as a junior...I guess it's what you like Mays will time a bit faster but his stats aren't as productive because of how he's used.

It's what you like Moore has had a big stat year where he was let to freelance and make plays Mays has always been in a system that never allowed that and he had to play disciplined in his scheme.

I like Moore for the same reason I like Mays: because he's a phenomenal athlete with strong fundamentals. A lot of people are down on him after this year because he had a shitty year, statistically (because he was put in the slot half the time and blitzed nearly half of those situations), but I still like him. He's a rare athlete for a safety, to be able to carry that size without losing speed. He can lay the big hit but also is a strong fundamental tackler. Great short-area quickness and burst. Good ball skills, obviously, too.

He and Mays are both freaks of nature. I just don't remember there being two guys that freakish in the draft of late...

Pestilence
12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
i'm getting there...DE is a more valuable position, but Mays is a better player than any DE available...i think, but i haven't watched the DEs much so...

I think Mays is a probowler...he looks like a freak flying around the usc defense

not sure orakpo is

that's the question...

if we got Mays/Spikes I'd be pretty stoked even though we'd still have a tragedy at the DE position...

What if we got a good DE in free agency? Suggs?

I'd be happy with a Suggs, Mays and Spikes offseason.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I get to watch Stafford every week and all I can say is it would be in his best interest to stay in college and develop his game. He has maybe the best OL in the SEC and he still struggles eventhough he seldom gets touched. His footwork is horrific under pressure I mean really really bad moving around and stepping up in the pocket with pressure. Under a coach like Bill Walsh he may become a good NFL QB because he has size and arm strength, but he will need a lot of time under a good QB coach to pull it out of him. With Dick Curl as QB coach the guy would be the next coming of Todd Blackledge in KC.:spock:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAHFBDzYBmI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAHFBDzYBmI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RedThat
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Nope I haven't watched USC play. That's why Im asking.

Bowser
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
"Yeah, but LSU sucks this year" [/moron]

You'd think that LSU would have stopped blitzing sooner, but it really didn't matter.

the Talking Can
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM

i think we're going to drop some FA coin somewhere...there are certainly worse scenarios...

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Stafford is now a pipe dream because the NFL has become so saturated with awful teams.

3 years ago, teams that were 2-10 had a legit shot at the top spot. Now, we are the 5th worst team with just 2 wins.

With the 5 spot, we should grab the MLB from USC.

Orakpo and Johnson aren't elite ends. The big tackles are all LT's, and I'm 100% against moving Brendan Albert for some unknown rookie.

This defense needs someone who can fly to the football and create havoc. They also need a stud DE (which they have to try to get in free agency). This team hasn't had a long-term prospect at MLB since Donnie in 1997.

An ideal scenario for me would be Rey in the first, Duke Robinson in the 2nd.This

the Talking Can
12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
one, of the many, reasons i want a high pick is so that we can have a shot at LB/ol that drops to the top of the second...there will be some serious talent and we can score again like we did with flowers...

RedThat
12-01-2008, 03:08 PM
i think we're going to drop some FA coin somewhere...there are certainly worse scenarios...

Honestly I hope they drop coin on defense.

Have you seen some of the Defensive players available this year?

Peppers
Suggs
Haynesworth
B Berry
R Lewis
B Scott
Vilma
Dansby

All these guys are FAs. But I just can't see this team spending money on big name players. I have a feeling they won't spend.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2008, 03:14 PM
And yes I think Taylor Mays will be one of the best players from the draft, but if we took him the board would meltdown.LMAO Homer...

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Suggs/Mays/Spikes would be a dream. If our D still stunk with Dorsey/Suggs/Mays/Spikes/DJ/Flowers then we might as well give up.

DaneMcCloud

Peppers - No
Suggs - Maybe
Haynesworth - No
B Berry - No
R Lewis - NO
B Scott - No
Vilma - Possibly
Dansby - No. DJ 2.0

the Talking Can

Peppers
Suggs
Haynesworth
B Berry
R Lewis
B Scott
Vilma
Dansby

All these guys are FAs. But I just can't see this team spending money on big name players. I have a feeling they won't spend.

even though we're still a year away from competing (assuming everything goeas right), i think the sting of this year will cause Carl to react...they'll want some excitement which means FA....cross our fingers they get lucky this time

El Jefe
12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous pieces of trash I've ever seen about evaluating a player.

Tell us how you really feel. :)

RedThat
Suggs/Mays/Spikes would be a dream. If our D still stunk with Dorsey/Suggs/Mays/Spikes/DJ/Flowers then we might as well give up.

It probably will, you know why? Because we have Gunther Cunningham. He'll find a way to make things suck.

ChiefsCountry

Peppers
Suggs
Haynesworth
B Berry
R Lewis
B Scott
Vilma
Dansby

Bart Scott would be about the only one on that list that I would go after.

RustShack
12-01-2008, 03:17 PM

Peppers
Suggs
Haynesworth
B Berry
R Lewis
B Scott
Vilma
Dansby

We would be lucky for one of those names to hit the market... we would be even more lucky for one of them to even work out for the Chiefs.

duncan_idaho
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
:spock:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAHFBDzYBmI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAHFBDzYBmI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Highlight tapes are not a great way to judge talent, but we've seen this video a lot, so I'm breaking it down, play-by-play.

Overall thoughts: Georgia OL actually does a very good job in this highlight tape. Only two of 11 throws required Stafford to move around. one on the run to his strong throwing side, one just requiring a step up in the pocket. Is the LSU line that overrated, or the UGA line better than given credit for? Or a little of both, maybe?

Throw 1: Good protection (pro). Hits out well, throw a little high but possibly necessary (can't tell because of camera angle)
2: Good pro. Throw looks low, tough to tell for sure.
3: Good pro, slightly pressured but had time to read, set, deliver. Throw is high/inside, nice adjustment and catch by Massaquoi.
4: Good pro off play-action. Time to set, deliver, little sloppy moving weight forward. Hard to tell much due to poor camera work, other than the ball was thrown extremely hard. Could be low throw, could be good throw into spot only his receiver can reach.
5: Fade. Plenty of time. Underthrown a tad, a little too far to the middle of the field. Great play by receiver to prevent INT.
6: Impressive throw on run. Premium arm strength. little high, but OK.
7: Good pro, good throw on quick out (with coverage a yard or two off).
8: WR screen. easy throw, nothing to evaluate.
9: Enough pressure to force step up, plant, throw. Good pro inside to give him room to step up. Green beats CB by step or two, throw in stride, a smidge high (is it wobbling kind of funny, or is that the camera? Doesn't look like a true spiral).
10: Good pro/blitz pickup with 8 in box. Hits WIDE OPEN tight end.
11: Play-action, good protection. Green WIDE OPEN, no one withing five yards.
12: QB draw, good blocking, middle wide open.

So that's 12 plays. 11 throws.
8 throws any NFL prospect at QB should make. (1,2,3, 7,8,9,10,11)
One tough throw (6)
One bad throw (5)
One inconclusive throw (4 - video quality makes it impossible to judge).

The QB draw again was a play that any QB with wheels of any sort should execute. If you're mobile enough (pretty average speed/mobility required) for your team to call a QB draw, you're mobile enough to score there, easily.

It's a nice highlight tape, but it isn't a jaw-dropping, jizz-worthy tape as some seem to think...

El Jefe
ROFL

If only there was a stat that combined your tackles, and how far from the LOS they occurred...

Seems like every time I watch an OSU game, JL makes a large number of his tackles 6-10 yards from the LOS.

Am I the only one that sees this?

Good Lord Almighty, here we go again. Mecca has said this about 10 BILLION TIMES. I am so tired of reading this stupid statement. Everyone knows Mecca, Dakc, and many many others hate OSU. BTW I think JL plays with just as good LB's as Rey Rey has. Freeman will be very good in the NFL, and Homan is only a true Sophmore, he is going to be a beast.

MVChiefFan
We've got TONS of money. There is no reason not to pay two of these guys enough money to get them here.

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
We would be lucky for one of those names to hit the market... we would be even more lucky for one of them to even work out for the Chiefs.

Suggs is a definite possibility and his strength has been defending against the run the past couple of years. I know he came out highly touted as a pass rusher, and perhaps he can still do that, but I think whatever his strength is in the pros, he would be a definite upgrade for our defense.

The Bad Guy
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Getting Terrell Suggs would be an absolute dream.

Pay him what he wants.

BigCatDaddy
12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Are we just limited to picking from the USC defense this year?

Zouk
12-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Peppers
Suggs
Haynesworth
B Berry
R Lewis
B Scott
Vilma
Dansby

You gotta think Peppers, Suggs, Haynesworth, and Dansby will all be signed long term or franchised by the time free agency starts.

Ray Lewis is at the end of his career and would want to play for a win now team. Bart Scott we would have to over-pay and he would probably not look as good out of Baltimore in a completely different system.

That leaves Vilma (who I think would be great) and Bert Berry who is nearing 35 years old. The free agent pool is better this year, but not that much better.

KChiefs1
12-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Chiefs don't need a S so Mays is out....Cushing? Maualuga will be a better player...think Seau!

RedThat
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM

I think there is a great chance suggs hits the open market this year.

He is gonna want a lot of money for sure. Here's the conflicting situation, the Ravens play both a 3-4 defense, and 4-3, Suggs as I stated is gonna want a lot of money, if the Ravens decide to franchise him, he is gonna want to be franchised as a DE rather then LB. You know why? Because being franchised as a DE has a heck of a lot more value then being franchised as a OLB.

Personally I think he is best fitted to rush the passer in a 3-4 defense. But he can play the falcon too.

Fat Elvis
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
You gotta think Peppers, Suggs, Haynesworth, and Dansby will all be signed long term or franchised by the time free agency starts.

Ray Lewis is at the end of his career and would want to play for a win now team. Bart Scott we would have to over-pay and he would probably not look as good out of Baltimore in a completely different system.

That leaves Vilma (who I think would be great) and Bert Berry who is nearing 35 years old. The free agent pool is better this year, but not that much better.

Suggs is an UFA and part of his last deal with the Ravens was that they couldn't tag him with anything....

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Chiefs don't need a S so Mays is out

ROFL

Pollard FTW!

ROFLROFL

Brock
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Chiefs don't need a S so Mays is out....Cushing? Maualuga will be a better player...think Seau!

Think it through a little better.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM

i don't think Suggs is gonna be franchised. He is gonna wanna be franchised as a DE. And the franchise tag for a DE is very steep. I think he will hit the open market.

even though ray lewis is old, baltimore is not gonna lose him. he is still valuable there. Scott may or may not sign.

There is a good chance a ravens player will hit the market. im hoping its suggs. either one of those guys will help our defense.

Zouk
12-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Suggs is an UFA and part of his last deal with the Ravens was that they couldn't tag him with anything....

i don't think Suggs is gonna be franchised. He is gonna wanna be franchised as a DE. And the franchise tag for a DE is very steep. I think he will hit the open market.

Yeah, I guess that's possible. I'd be very interested to see if Clark would get into a bidding war. He hasn't done that yet. But if Suggs and Vilma are on the market I'd be very excited if we got one of them.

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Pollard dished out a couple of good hits Sunday, but dear God, the seam was open all day long. We need someone that can cover a RB or TE, badly.

KChiefs1
12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Think it through a little better.

Page
Morgan
Pollard

Do we really need to draft another one?

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

Yes!
Yes!
and Yes!

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

Have you WATCHED any Chiefs games?

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I guess that's possible. I'd be very interested to see if Clark would get into a bidding war. He hasn't done that yet. But if Suggs and Vilma are on the market I'd be very excited if we got one of them.

There really hasnt been anything on the market worth bidding on. Kudos to Clark for that.

KCChiefsMan
12-01-2008, 04:01 PM

he would be an outstanding singing, I doubt Carl will do it though

KCChiefsMan
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes!
Yes!
and Yes!

lol

KChiefs1
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Have you WATCHED any Chiefs games?

I get all my information from Jack Harry....is that wrong?:doh!:

MVChiefFan
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I get all my information from Jack Harry....is that wrong?:doh!:

All is forgiven...except for the fact that you listen to Jack Harry. :D

KCChiefsMan
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

ROFL

Zouk
12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

This statement is easy to rag on, but it is essentially correct. We definitely do not need to draft another one at all. If Pollard doesn't pick up his play in training camp next year then we have Morgan on hand to replace him. But all 3 can get on the field.

If Mays is Sean Taylor good I'm not against taking him - but on a team with many needs it is true that a starting safety is not one of them.

Pestilence
12-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? We don't need a safety? Pollard and Page are not that great and we still don't know what we have in Morgan. We definitely need a safety.

RedThat
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

thats not a serious question is it?

while we do have a lot of safeties on this team. Not 1 of them is good. So yeah the Chiefs should draft another one.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
This statement is easy to rag on, but it is essentially correct. We definitely do not need to draft another one at all. If Pollard doesn't pick up his play in training camp next year then we have Morgan on hand to replace him. But all 3 can get on the field.

If Mays is Sean Taylor good I'm not against taking him - but on a team with many needs it is true that a starting safety is not one of them.

Morgan is an unknown at this point.

Page and Pollard will be in their fourth seasons next year.

We know what we have in those two.

kcchiefsus
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I know it's not our biggest need but would anybody be upset if we took Michael Crabtree at the top of the first round?

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I know it's not our biggest need but would anybody be upset if we took Michael Crabtree at the top of the first round?

Yes, I would.

Brock
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Page
Morgan
Pollard

If there's a better one available, then yes.

Zouk
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Morgan is an unknown at this point.

Page and Pollard will be in their fourth seasons next year.

We know what we have in those two.

I think Page is a good starting safety. Pollard has been iffy, but he's not the reason we're losing games. And we spent a high pick on a player who can challenge him.

Guys like Marquand Manuel, Michael Boulware, James Butler, and Danieal Manning have started in Super Bowls in the last couple years. We don't need a safety.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I think Page is a good starting safety. Pollard has been iffy, but he's not the reason we're losing games. And we spent a high pick on a player who can challenge him.

Guys like Marquand Manuel, Michael Boulware, James Butler, and Danieal Manning have started in Super Bowls in the last couple years. We don't need a safety.

Yeah, you're right.

I LOVE seeing guys like LenDale White scamper for 60+ yard runs against the Chiefs.

DaKCMan AP
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Page is a serviceable nickel/dime - if necessary. He'd be a good backup.

kcchiefsus
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, you're right.

I LOVE seeing guys like LenDale White scamper for 60+ yard runs against the Chiefs.

I blame that more on the front 7 than on the safeties. Sure our safeties aren't great but they aren't horrible either. Teams don't have pro bowlers at every position. If we can upgrade at safety then fine but it's certainly not one of the top priorities IMO. I would put DE, RT, RG, and MLB all as priorities before safety.

The Bad Guy
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Anyone who thinks Jarrad Page is a good safety needs to have their eyes severed with an ice pick.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I blame that more on the front 7 than on the safeties. Sure our safeties aren't great but they aren't horrible either. Teams don't have pro bowlers at every position. If we can upgrade at safety then fine but it's certainly not one of the top priorities IMO. I would put DE, RT, RG, and MLB all as priorities before safety.

They may be priorities above the safety position. I'm not advocating that the Chiefs reach for a safety.

But if Taylor Mays is the best value choice wherever the Chiefs may choose, you take him.

kcchiefsus
12-01-2008, 04:58 PM
They may be priorities above the safety position. I'm not advocating that the Chiefs reach for a safety.

But if Taylor Mays is the best value choice wherever the Chiefs may choose, you take him.

Fair enough.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Anyone who thinks Jarrad Page is a good safety needs to have their eyes severed with an ice pick.

In that case, I think it's already happened

BigChiefFan
12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
That's funny, those WRs look pretty WIDE-OPEN to me on the majority of those plays. I think a double-standard is being appplied for Stafford against Bradford. I've seen Bradford makes those type of throws every week this season and do it with more accuracy and REGULARITY against equally stout competition. I think you'll see the majority of the so-called experts, start calling Bradford the best QB prospect in the upcoming draft. Stafford has skills, but not any more than Sam Bradford.

evolve27
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
That's funny, those WRs look pretty WIDE-OPEN to me on the majority of those plays. I think a double-standard is being appplied for Stafford against Bradford. I've seen Bradford makes those type of throws every week this season and do it with more accuracy and REGULARITY against equally stout competition. I think you'll see the majority of the so-called experts, start calling Bradford the best QB prospect in the upcoming draft. Stafford has skills, but not any more than Sam Bradford.

Yep, I said this after I watched GA played a somewhat decent GA Tech D. I say again, don't get me wrong Stafford WILL be a first rounder, but Bradford is quite impressive if not on par with the elite QB's this year.

Zouk
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM

I forgot - everyone sucks and needs to be replaced.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196919

The Bad Guy
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I forgot - everyone sucks and needs to be replaced.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196919

I wouldn't expect someone with half a brain to understand why Jarrad Page sucks.

He takes horrid angles to the ball. He doesn't wrap up.

He is decent in pass coverage.

I'm sorry he doesn't fit my good criteria.