PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs That Wasn't Progress

Count Zarth
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
This one's for Reerun.

http://kan.scout.com/2/817396.html

I’d love to sit here and wax poetic about the greatness of Tony Gonzalez, the clutch play of Tyler Thigpen, the tough running of Larry Johnson, the surprising pass rush from Kansas City’s front four and the vicious hitting from the Chiefs’ back seven, but it would feel completely irresponsible.

Yes, the Chiefs finally got another win over the weekend, beating the Oakland Raiders 20-13. Yes, it was fun to see young playmakers step up on both sides of the ball.

No, it wasn’t progress. Don’t be fooled into thinking it was for a second.

The Raiders handed Sunday’s game to the Chiefs. An embarrassing (but Raiderlike) special teams gaffe and a fumble deep in Oakland territory gifted Kansas City with 10 quite undeserved points.

Combined with JaMarcus Russell (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3684036)’s completely unprofessional performance, and the fact that Oakland’s coaching staff refuses to hand the ball to their most dynamic playmaker (rookie Darren McFadden (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723388)), the Chiefs had no business beating the Raiders by only seven points. Sunday’s game should have been a blowout that had Herm Edwards’ bunch thumping their chests and partying like rock stars by the time the fourth quarter rolled around.

Instead, we got treated to hours of completely boring football interrupted only by brief, thrilling moments of inept play from both sides.

Sorry, that’s not progress. It’s just two bad football teams trying to hand each other the game.

I’ll admit the Chiefs’ 16-play, nine-minute, 91-yard drive that effectively clinched the game with a Larry Johnson touchdown run was impressive. So was the way KC’s offense salted the game away with a clock-killing drive in the fourth quarter. But other than that, KC’s spread offense was ineffective, mounting just one drive over 30 yards against Oakland’s 25th-ranked defense.

That’s not progress.

And yeah, the Chiefs managed to hold the Raiders under 300 yards rushing this time. Actually, Oakland didn’t even sniff 200 yards, but they still averaged a disgusting 4.8 yards per carry, and JaMarcus Russell made like Brandon Jacobs (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3672490), twice waddling into KC’s secondary for big gains. Meanwhile, McFadden, who torched the Chiefs for 164 yards in September, received seven carries.

That’s not progress.

Progress would have entailed Tyler Thigpen racking up another big game and looking for a receiver not named Tony Gonzalez (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698854) on offense. Progress would have entailed the Chiefs stacking the box on defense, realizing that Russell probably couldn’t even take advantage of his own version of Tony Gonzalez, and shutting down Oakland’s running game.

Look at it this way – the Chiefs have beaten a good football team this year in the Denver Broncos. For over a month now, they’ve played solid football against teams who are playing at least .500 ball - New York, Tampa Bay, New Orleans.

Now one of the worst teams in the league gifts them a win, and we’re supposed to be excited? I don’t buy it, and neither should you. If you ask me, this team took a step backward by not living up to the standard they set when they were competing with playoff contenders in November.

Maybe I’m wrong and Sunday’s contest is just a prelude to a season-ending month of solid football from the Chiefs and more wins. But does anyone really expect Jay Cutler (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3689930) to throw horribly errant passes a dozen times next week in Denver? Does anyone expect Champ Bailey (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3689921) to allow Thigpen the courtesy of tunnel vision on Gonzalez?

Cutler is on fire this year despite Denver’s lackluster running game and terrible defense. He’s the anti-Russell – Mike Shanahan puts the load on his young quarterback’s shoulders and pretty much asks him to win the game week in and week out. Cutler has six 300-yard games this season.

Meanwhile, Bailey has vowed to return this week from a groin injury he suffered in October. You can count the number of 100-yard games Gonzalez has had against the Broncos since they acquired Bailey via trade on one hand. In fact, you don't even need a hand, because the number is zero.

A prediction: if the Chiefs give up 4.8 yards per carry to the Broncos and put together one sustained drive on offense, they lose, big-time. Blowout city. When Kansas City beat Denver at Arrowhead earlier this season, it was mostly because of turnovers. Don’t expect a repeat of that at Invesco Field, where the Chiefs have never won a football game.

Winning in Denver – now that would be progress. But I’m not holding my breath.

no love
12-02-2008, 12:46 AM
If beating teams that you should beat, and winning games that you should win isn't progress; then barely losing to teams you should lose to, and barely losing games you could've/should've won is progress?

I respectfully disagree...
a win is a win is a win is a win. It's about time these pups win a few games and we be proud.

TinyEvel
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
That's not change.....that's MORE OF THE SAME!!!!!!!

(John Stewart, FTW)

blueballs
12-02-2008, 01:42 AM
You fingerbanging the neighbors dashound
isn't progress either

ChiefGator
12-02-2008, 04:05 AM
isn't progress either

This post is useless without... er... forget it. Nothing to see here.

EyePod
12-02-2008, 05:11 AM
The Raiders handed Sunday’s game to the Chiefs. An embarrassing (but Raiderlike) special teams gaffe and a fumble deep in Oakland territory gifted Kansas City with 10 quite undeserved points.

Yeah! Really good point!! It wasn't a FORCED FUMBLE or anything. It was like the Randy Moss one where he just fell and fumbled it...oh wait. This was a great play by our Pro-Bowl MLB Rocky Boiman.... (the worst part is that other teams scraps have been playing better than our original lineup....)

But yeah, it was a really nice defensive play which means that the FG was not GIFTED.

Guru
12-02-2008, 05:11 AM
That's not change.....that's MORE OF THE SAME!!!!!!!

(John Stewart, FTW)I don't think he was the one to coin that phrase.

donkhater
12-02-2008, 05:58 AM
These types of articles are written by fans/sportswriters who think that each team plays up to their potential every week and the latest game is the clearest picture of what that team is capable of.

The truth is, teams sometimes play down to their opponents and play better against teams that are better than them. The really good playoff, Super Bowl contenders deliver a consistent punch week after week (usually), but we already knew this team wasn't one of them, right?

They got the win against a team that pretty much dominated them the last time they played and was actually still mathematically alive in the AFC West race. That's progress in my book. Not much, mind you, but progress nonetheless.

Claythan needs to get over the fact that Thigpen is QBing this team and doing it better over a span of games than anyone has in a couple years (sad, but true). He threw an opinion about Thigpen out during training camp and he's determined to die by that sword come hell or highwater.

EyePod
12-02-2008, 07:00 AM
These types of articles are written by fans/sportswriters who think that each team plays up to their potential every week and the latest game is the clearest picture of what that team is capable of.

The truth is, teams sometimes play down to their opponents and play better against teams that are better than them. The really good playoff, Super Bowl contenders deliver a consistent punch week after week (usually), but we already knew this team wasn't one of them, right?

They got the win against a team that pretty much dominated them the last time they played and was actually still mathematically alive in the AFC West race. That's progress in my book. Not much, mind you, but progress nonetheless.

Claythan needs to get over the fact that Thigpen is QBing this team and doing it better over a span of games than anyone has in a couple years (sad, but true). He threw an opinion about Thigpen out during training camp and he's determined to die by that sword come hell or highwater.

I agree. It's also pretty funny that the Raiders, who know they aren't any good, are saving their "most dynamic playmaker" during a shitty season. They should be constantly using him to pound away at teams like we did last season with Larry. Why would they want their QB to get better with more reps? The Raiders know that this season is done and that Darren McFadden is awesome. What they are unsure of is Jamarcus Russell's ability. So far, he hasn't been too great. If I were them, I'd be using him as much as possible too, just trying to figure out if he's the answer.

JASONSAUTO
12-02-2008, 07:01 AM

sad isnt it

CoMoChief
12-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I somewhat agree with this.

The Raiders basically gave the Chiefs every opportunity to win when they themselves didn't play very well at all.

If Jamarcus Russell wasn't so fucking terrible at playing QB, a mediocre QB would have had 2 TD passes

talastan
12-02-2008, 07:20 AM

His opinion is cutting his throat right now....ROFL

In all seriousness though the point of the article I do agree with. Had Oakland played like they did the previous week against the donks I don't think we could've won this game. I'll take a win though anytime....Whether gift-wrapped or not the benefit of win goes a long way to helping these young guys grow as a football team.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
If Russell throws that skinny post correctly, and they don't run that dumbass fake field goal, it's a 23-13 Raider win, and that's not counting Cable's indefensible decision to go for it on 4th and 4 from the 20 friggin yard line.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I have to agree. We didn't take the victory-it was given to us.

Direckshun
12-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Move those goalposts.

I'm sure if they had lost there'd be an article about how sorry they are because they can't win.

Now that we've won, there's an article about how sorry we are because we're not showing the requisite amount of progress.

donkhater
12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
In all seriousness though the point of the article I do agree with. Had Oakland played like they did the previous week against the donks I don't think we could've won this game.

So what? If KC played the way they did the first half against Tampa, Oakland may have been blown out.

Teams adjust their game plans week to week vs. certain opponents and some teams are just bad matchups.

Chad Pennington said it this week after the Dolphins barely eeked by the Rams. He said that games are lost in this league more than they are won. Given the parity in the league, I tend to agree with him.

Any team in this league, when they are playing their best, is going to be tough to beat. Even KC.

Demonpenz
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I will put my blind homer glasses off and just remember pollard knocking the crap out ever people. DJ sending Fargus on back in time into Huggie bear's eurethra, Tony Gonzo Snatching balls like an electronic snatching machine, and thigpens throw to bowe for the first down. ALONG WITH THE THIGPEN FIST PUMP. START THE CHIEFS BUS.... CHOO CHOOO

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Move those goalposts.

I'm sure if they had lost there'd be an article about how sorry they are because they can't win.

Now that we've won, there's an article about how sorry we are because we're not showing the requisite amount of progress.

morphius
12-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Of course we should also ignore the fact that no matter how bad the Raiders have been, it has almost always been a close game...

seclark
12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Of course we should also ignore the fact that no matter how bad the Raiders have been, it has almost always been a close game...

correct.
sec

talastan
12-02-2008, 09:34 AM
So what? If KC played the way they did the first half against Tampa, Oakland may have been blown out.

Teams adjust their game plans week to week vs. certain opponents and some teams are just bad matchups.

Chad Pennington said it this week after the Dolphins barely eeked by the Rams. He said that games are lost in this league more than they are won. Given the parity in the league, I tend to agree with him.

Any team in this league, when they are playing their best, is going to be tough to beat. Even KC.

Which is why I finished my post with the fact that we'll take the win. Like Morphius said, regardless of either team's record, these KC/Chokeland games are always close. Here's to getting an upset at Incestco :toast:

:bang: donkeys

Otis Day
12-02-2008, 09:36 AM
The Raiders gift wrapped a victory for us. Who cares? No one was complaining when Marty sat around and waited for the Raiders to make a mistake so we could steal a win. That has been the story of this rivalry for years. A win is a win.

Micjones
12-02-2008, 09:58 AM

*And the thread ends*

suds79
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
The Raiders gift wrapped a victory for us. Who cares? No one was complaining when Marty sat around and waited for the Raiders to make a mistake so we could steal a win. That has been the story of this rivalry for years. A win is a win.

Yeah but they're totally different situations.

When we had Marty, we knew we were a good team. We knew we were going to the playoffs. So when we played the Raiders, we just looked for the "W".

Now we're looking for much more than that. We're looking for progress. We're looking for signs that this team is headed in the right direction under Herm & Carl. Win or lose, it really doesn't matter at this point. It's going to be a horrible season. So what matters is the progress.

And against a bad team where they gave us an idiotic ST touchdown (which was the difference), it's hard to see it.

chiefsngop
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
As bad as this team has been, look at our turnover ratio.

If there's one piece of the puzzle starting to fall into place, it's an ability to take advantage of opponents mistakes.

We don't always take advantage, but when we do, it's time to celebrate (briefly).

Look at the replay, even if Jani-bigcow-ski HAD caught that pitch on the fake field goal, check out our guys in the flat, we would've defended it.

And how can you call it a "mistake" by the Raiders for going for it on 4th down while in FG range a 2nd time?

Have you seen our defense this year ? That's a high percentage call, our D usually can't get their asses off the field.

So I don't see it as a mistake by Oakland, I see it as a good series for our D, they actually rose to the occasion to stop a drive for once.

What was everyone expecting, the 3-8 Faiders to play a good quality, well coached, clean game ? Have you watched them this year ?

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
His opinion is cutting his throat right now....ROFL

In all seriousness though the point of the article I do agree with. Had Oakland played like they did the previous week against the donks I don't think we could've won this game. I'll take a win though anytime....Whether gift-wrapped or not the benefit of win goes a long way to helping these young guys grow as a football team.And if we had played the way we did the week before with Buffalo - we would have lost.

How is that comment relevant?

I do agree with your next line - I will always take the win.

BigRock
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
You can count the number of 100-yard games Gonzalez has had against the Broncos since they acquired Bailey via trade on one hand. In fact, you don't even need a hand, because the number is zero.

Gonzalez hasn't had a 100-game against Denver since 2001, a full three years before Bailey went there.

Inspector
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
isn't progress either

My thoughts exactly Mr. blueballs.

talastan
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I was lurking over at the WPI board and apparently they don't think too highly of Claythan's article either. ROFL

petegz28
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm thouroughly convinced the sports writers and talking heads in KC, save maybe Petro and Joe Po, are completely and totally full of shit. We lose, they bitch. We win, they bitch.

They would rather Thigy throw 3 TD's and lose than 1 int and win.
That is called idiotic.

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm thouroughly convinced the sports writers and talking heads in KC, save maybe Petro and Joe Po, are completely and totally full of shit. We lose, they bitch. We win, they bitch.

They would rather Thigy throw 3 TD's and lose than 1 int and win.
That is called idiotic.

You're just now figuring this out?

I mentioned in another thread how Jack Harry's been bitching about the Chiefs for more than 2 decades. I guess most people either weren't born yet and/or didn't follow the Chiefs in the 80's.

Reerun would have the most popular radio show in the history of Kansas City sports radio, if he were to change careers.

Cornstock
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
It obviously wasnt thiggy's best game, but hes capable of better and we've all seen it. I agree with what was said about playing down to your opponents. The Chiefs as a whole didnt play very well but it always seems like we play down to the Raiders, even when we are good. Look at when we went 13-3 and barely beat them at home by keeping them out of the endzone on the last play.Thats just part of the rivalry, this game is always closer than it should be.

But the main point is that we DID win. It wasnt the most convincing win ever, but how crappy would you feel if we would have lost like that. To the Raiders. I get pissed off just thinking about it. It wasnt the biggest step in growing play-wise, but it was a good lesson for these young guys in learning how to win. Hopefully they keep that taste in their mouth now.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
You're just now figuring this out?

I mentioned in another thread how Jack Harry's been bitching about the Chiefs for more than 2 decades. I guess most people either weren't born yet and/or didn't follow the Chiefs in the 80's.

Reerun would have the most popular radio show in the history of Kansas City sports radio, if he were to change careers.

ROFL

You know, I used to be a glasses wearing, kool-aid drinking homer, probably to the extent or worse than you are now. I used to debate and argue just like you are doing now back in the early to mid 90's on the old KC star board. I think I started on there like 2 years before Martys classic meltdown in the 95 playoffs...

Its funny to watch you post, I see alot of the same patterns I used to follow and argue. It is kind of enlightening and funny at the same time. Thankfully, I have grown up and moved on to reality. The reality that Neither Carl or any, ANY of his cronies have ever won shit in KC... So until he is removed and his band of ass monkeys, Including Herms moronic ass. I will sit back and be completely detached from the team... Less heart ache that way.

As for a radio show? LOL it was between a sportscaster and an aviation degree/Pilot.... Thankfully I chose a pilot career. I would have had a meltdown by now as a KC radio host.... ROFL

DaneMcCloud
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Its funny to watch you post, I see alot of the same patterns I used to follow and argue. It is kind of enlightening and funny at the same time. Thankfully, I have grown up and moved on to reality. The reality that Neither Carl or any, ANY of his cronies have ever won shit in KC... So until he is removed and his band of ass monkeys, Including Herms moronic ass. I will sit back and be completely detached from the team... Less heart ache that way.

First off, I'm not a homer. I hated what Marty did to the team in 1998, I was completely and utterly pissed that Gunther replaced him and I despised the Vermeil era. DESPISED.

And for all intents and purposes, I am detached. I live 2,000 miles away and am no longer part of the "collective". The people whose life turns zombie-like after a Chiefs loss and party like it's 1999 when they win. I'll never miss a game (even when on vacation in another country) but I don't let the Chiefs wins and losses affect my personal life.

Furthermore, I feel that the Chiefs finally made the right decision in blowing everything up and starting over. You may disagree and wish they had hired a retread to continue the course of the past 19 years under Peterson's reign of terror. But I think the Chiefs are headed in the right direction under Herm.

And at no point in time have I EVER stated that Herm is a Super Bowl coach.

PunkinDrublic
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
What are the chances of us picking up a big time player on the D-line this offseason? I'm all for the rebuilding process but I also think that part of the reason our offense has been more consistant in progressing is due to the fact that we have two established leaders in Tony G and Brian Waters. It's pretty much been established that we keep whiffing on developing our D-line talent. So by conceding that Dumbrie can't properly develop the D-line, why not drop some coin on somebody who's a proven stud. I'm not talking about some run of the mill vet, I'm talking about somebody who is a proven pass rusher that can possibly lead by example for the younger guys.

It's my contention that part of the reason why the defense is strugging is the lack of leadership on that side of the ball.

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
That's not progress?

The Raiders lost for the same reasons KC lost the past few games (minus Buffalo). Because of stupid mistakes at inopportune times.

I wouldn't say it's "progress" per se. But the fact that the Chiefs kept the turnovers to a minimum, made most of their tackles instead of bouncing off of them, didn't drop a lot of key third down passes, and didn't get tagged with boneheaded penalties represents a pretty big step.

Now... I realize that Oakland largely gave the game away, but it says a lot that the Chiefs didn't give their game away as they have so often this season.

Count Zarth
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
He threw an opinion about Thigpen out during training camp and he's determined to die by that sword come hell or highwater.

I've already recanted on that one...he looks like a completely different quarterback.

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Julius Peppers would make for an outstanding stop-gap. The Chiefs have a buttload of money and I don't think Carolina will pay him.

The problem is that Carl Peterson's douche bag tactic of lowballing elite players and employing sleazy tactics like making up fake injuries about a player to gain leverage (see Samari Rolle) has proven completely ineffective at getting the league's best. I'm sure the Chiefs will target Peppers, but the fact that Jeff Faine and Josh Brown didn't even fly in for an interview, to me, goes to show how little respect elite players and especially their agents have for Carl Peterson.

Peppers or Jordan Gross and especially both would be amazing additions to the Chiefs. But I have almost no confidence in Peterson's ability to land them.

What are the chances of us picking up a big time player on the D-line this offseason? I'm all for the rebuilding process but I also think that part of the reason our offense has been more consistant in progressing is due to the fact that we have two established leaders in Tony G and Brian Waters. It's pretty much been established that we keep whiffing on developing our D-line talent. So by conceding that Dumbrie can't properly develop the D-line, why not drop some coin on somebody who's a proven stud. I'm not talking about some run of the mill vet, I'm talking about somebody who is a proven pass rusher that can possibly lead by example for the younger guys.

It's my contention that part of the reason why the defense is strugging is the lack of leadership on that side of the ball.

Rausch
12-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I call bull$#it.

The gameplan, sincle like 500 BC has been to wait for Oakland to implode and take advantage.

They did, we did.

Herm's a douche. Ok, we all get that. It's clear.

He shouldn't be, but he will be back next year.

All that aside, the talent and the team IS still improving. The defense is pretty much as $3it as $#it can get, but the offense has built a foundation. There's reason to believe there...

PunkinDrublic
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Julius Peppers would make for an outstanding stop-gap. The Chiefs have a buttload of money and I don't think Carolina will pay him.

The problem is that Carl Peterson's douche bag tactic of lowballing elite players and employing sleazy tactics like making up fake injuries about a player to gain leverage (see Samari Rolle) has proven completely ineffective at getting the league's best. I'm sure the Chiefs will target Peppers, but the fact that Jeff Faine and Josh Brown didn't even fly in for an interview, to me, goes to show how little respect elite players and especially their agents have for Carl Peterson.

Peppers or Jordan Gross and especially both would be amazing additions to the Chiefs. But I have almost no confidence in Peterson's ability to land them.

Well if Herm is the type of coach a lot of players have been wanting to play for I say we use that to our advantage. Let me repeat myself because I know some of the dingbats on here will miss my point but I am all for rebuilding primarily through the draft. But just like you are unlikely to build a contender strictly through free agency, you are also unlikely to build a contender strictly through the draft. So if our weakness is evaluating and developing d-line prospects, let's go the FA route and build the rest of the team through the draft.

Count Zarth
12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
So if our weakness is evaluating and developing d-line prospects, let's go the FA route and build the rest of the team through the draft.

Great defensive lines are almost never built through free agency.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
If they weren't willing to pay what it costs for a premium DE in JA, what makes you think they'll go after Peppers?

chiefsngop
12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Great defensive lines are almost never built through free agency.

Claythan, you're going to play hell arguing that point on this board.

Look how many people here are declaring Dorsey a bust just 3/4 of the way through his rookie year.

95% of D-lineman, great or not, take 2-3 years to develop. Many on this board lack the patience to accept that. They'd never stomach building a D-line from the draft and the time and suffering it would take, waiting for those guys to develop.

LiL stumppy
12-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Hmm,losing the last like 20 of the last 21 one games we have played then winning a game isn't some time of progress I don't know what is.

stumppy
12-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Hmm,losing the last like 20 of the last 21 one games we have played then winning a game isn't some time of progress I don't know what is.

And to think, they're giving you a diploma this year.:evil:

milkman
12-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Jordan Gross is playing LT.
He'll want LT money in free agency.

So I won't be all that concerned if the Carl can't sign him.

Actually, it'd be pretty stupid to persue him.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Jordan Gross is playing LT.
He'll want LT money in free agency.

So I won't be all that concerned if the Carl can't sign him.

Actually, it'd be pretty stupid to persue him.

Interesting point.