PDA

View Full Version : MU MU not a shoe-in for the Alamo Bowl?

bobbything
12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Listening to the radio, Jason King said that the Alamo might dump Moo for KU if they have a poor showing on Saturday.

Anyone heard anything else on this?

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Mizzou is going to the Fiesta Bowl so it doesnt matter.

bobbything
12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Mizzou is going to the Fiesta Bowl so it doesnt matter.
Good thing the kids from South Park saved Imagination Land from complete annihilation.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
So does this mean that we have to listen to frazod for another year about how Ku was a fraud and our AD is better than your AD?

HolyHandgernade
12-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Good thing the kids from South Park saved Imagination Land from complete annihilation.

KU has beaten Mizzou, and yet, my balls are dry. :evil:

-HH

kepp
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Listening to the radio, Jason King said that the Alamo might dump Moo for KU if they have a poor showing on Saturday.

Yeah, because he knows.:rolleyes:

Lzen
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
So does this mean that we have to listen to frazod for another year about how Ku was a fraud and our AD is better than your AD?

Actually, that might be kind of fun. :evil:

In all honesty, I think this may just be wishful thinking.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Actually, that might be kind of fun. :evil:

In all honesty, I think this may just be wishful thinking.

Probably, I heard KU to the Insight bowl is pretty much a done deal. BUT if the Alamo would take KU and MU go to a lesser bowl, I would relish in the fact.

KU is the sexier pick between the two... Why? Because we are trophy toting frauds...

58-4ever
12-02-2008, 11:49 AM
In other news that does not matter: Coffee makes you poop!

KC_Connection
12-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I would like that.

kepp
12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
In other news that does not matter: Coffee makes you poop!

I would like that.

TMI

HC_Chief
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Probably, I heard KU to the Insight bowl is pretty much a done deal. BUT if the Alamo would take KU and MU go to a lesser bowl, I would relish in the fact.

KU is the sexier pick between the two... Why? Because we are trophy toting frauds...

Mizery getting snuffed from the Alamo Bowl in favor of KU would be hilarious. The tigger faithful would soil themselves. ROFL

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Just to be curious, how long did MU fans bask after the win vs Kansas last year? Serious question, to see if it lasted a week or longer, enjoy it beakers. I hope MU shows up and makes it a game, everyone and their mom predicts Mizzou to lose by atleast a few TDS, blah

HC_Chief
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Just to be curious, how long did MU fans bask after the win vs Kansas last year? Serious question, to see if it lasted a week or longer, enjoy it beakers. I hope MU shows up and makes it a game, everyone and their mom predicts Mizzou to lose by atleast a few TDS, blah

Not surprising: Daniel has a 1 TD to 6 INT ratio in his three games versus OU. On top of that, OU has averaged 60+ ppg in their last 4 games... against Big XII competition.

Does not bode well.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Not surprising: Daniel has a 1 TD to 6 INT ratio in his three games versus OU. On top of that, OU has averaged 60+ ppg in their last 4 games... against Big XII competition.

Does not bode well.

Yeah, he definetly saves his worst for them.:doh!: I hope he can come out competing this time.

HC_Chief
12-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, he definetly saves his worst for them.:doh!: I hope he can come out competing this time.

Just get it to J-Mac a dozen + times! That guy has disgusting speed. Even OU's defenders can't keep up with #9.

Que Card QB
12-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Just to be curious, how long did MU fans bask after the win vs Kansas last year? Serious question, to see if it lasted a week or longer, enjoy it beakers. I hope MU shows up and makes it a game, everyone and their mom predicts Mizzou to lose by atleast a few TDS, blahfrazod keeps a picture of Reesing's turf face in his wallet. :)

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Just get it to J-Mac a dozen + times! That guy has disgusting speed. Even OU's defenders can't keep up with #9.

Yeah we definetly need to get it to our playmakers, and run with D-Wash if we can. Regardless this defense will need 3 or more turnovers for us to win, i just don't see them making a stop.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
frazod keeps a picture of Reesing's turf face in his wallet. :)

HA! I had it as my wallpaper for about a week last year.

HemiEd
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Just to be curious, how long did MU fans bask after the win vs Kansas last year? Serious question, to see if it lasted a week or longer, enjoy it beakers.

Months!

kepp
12-02-2008, 12:10 PM

That's what was so frustrating during the game. Nearly everytime Maclin got the ball he made a play, but they kept trying to get cute with things. Go with what's working...your bread-n-butter. The WR/bubble screens were working.

Frazod
12-02-2008, 12:12 PM

You mean you didn't get enough of that last year? :D

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah and run the ball with D-WASH...

Hopefully this new offensive coord. can have an I-Formation assembled. This offense could be very potent if they had some decent running formations. We'll see what happens next year with a new man running the show.

Stewie
12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Just get it to J-Mac a dozen + times!

He'll get it that many times - after every OU touchdown.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah and run the ball with D-WASH...

Hopefully this new offensive coord. can have an I-Formation assembled. This offense could be very potent if they had some decent running formations. We'll see what happens next year with a new man running the show.

Well, if we wouldn't have shit the bed against Baylor, we would likely have Jheranie Boyd at WR next year, and the disgusting display at Kansas will cost us any shot at Bryce Brown, who is probably the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson.

We can't run the ball against Oklahoma, because the zone read system takes too long and their LBs are too fast. Any holes that we create will be filled in the 2 seconds it takes for the back to make his initial read.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, if we wouldn't have shit the bed against Baylor, we would likely have Jheranie Boyd at WR next year, and the disgusting display at Kansas will cost us any shot at Bryce Brown, who is probably the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson.

We can't run the ball against Oklahoma, because the zone read system takes too long and their LBs are too fast. Any holes that we create will be filled in the 2 seconds it takes for the back to make his initial read.

Fuckin Mizzou:cuss:

Frazod
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Mizery getting snuffed from the Alamo Bowl in favor of KU would be hilarious. The tigger faithful would soil themselves. ROFL

Actually this year it wouldn't be that big of a deal. You played a tougher schedule and beat us head-to-head (this assumes, of course, that we'll get killed by Oklahoma, which will probably be the case).

You see, when it works correctly, the winning team with the tougher schedule should get the better bowl. It quite obviously DID NOT work correctly in 2007.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Damn with them and Gabbert & Jones that offense would have rocked.

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Where are you getting this information?

Missouri's chances with Jheranie Boyd were not blown by the close call at Baylor. He stayed home (which about 75 percent of the elite recruits who don't go to one of the truly elite schools do), something that was rumored for quite a while.

And the chances at Brown - which never have been high - don't turn on one game.

Individual games matter far less to recruits than: How much they will play, how much they think they can, and how good they think the team can be.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Where are you getting this information?

Missouri's chances with Jheranie Boyd were not blown by the close call at Baylor. He stayed home (which about 75 percent of the elite recruits who don't go to one of the truly elite schools do), something that was rumored for quite a while.

And the chances at Brown - which never have been high - don't turn on one game.

Individual games matter far less to recruits than: How much they will play, how much they think they can, and how good they think the team can be.

Boyd went to North Carolina. They weren't even really on his radar until late. It was down to Mizzou, Oklahoma, and NC. Mizzou beat the hell out of Colorado in his visit and he had several interviews praising Mizzou, and they were widely considered a front runner until the Baylor game, which came immediately before he announced his commitment to UNC on 11/7. Brown also visited during the Colorado game, and was thought to be reconsidering his soft verbal to Miami, but Missouri floundering and his brother's role at da' U, has pretty much sealed our fate there.

Compund that with the fact that Sheldon Richardson is starting to look around, and you have a disaster waiting to happen, with no one higher than a 3* recruit coming in.

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Boyd went to North Carolina. They weren't even really on his radar until late. It was down to Mizzou, Oklahoma, and NC. Mizzou beat the hell out of Colorado in his visit and he had several interviews praising Mizzou, and they were widely considered a front runner until the Baylor game, which came immediately before he announced his commitment to UNC on 11/7. Brown also visited during the Colorado game, and was thought to be reconsidering his soft verbal to Miami, but Missouri floundering and his brother's role at da' U, has pretty much sealed our fate there.

Compund that with the fact that Sheldon Richardson is starting to look around, and you have a disaster waiting to happen, with no one higher than a 3* recruit coming in.

Boyd didn't go to UNC because Missouri squeaked by Baylor.

UNC was there the whole time. Even before the visit to Missouri for the Colorado game, there were rumblings that he was UNC bound but taking his visits. Hell, that was the case in September before his visit to OU.

The kid had a new leader after every visit. After he visited Oklahoma, they were the leader. After every visit (official or unofficial) to Clemson, they were the leader. After Missouri, they were the leader. He was the master of telling whoever he just visited how much he loved the visit.

And then, ultimately, Boyd - who is extremely, extremely close to his mother - ended up staying as close to home as possible. Despite some embarrassing losses already on UNC's schedule.

Brown's most recently named leader actually is Oregon - following his visit there the week after his visit to Mizzou. He was never anything but a long shot for Mizzou (or Oregon, for that matter) - which he remains. It's always been an extreme long shot he decommits to go anywhere else, and it remains that way. Miami sucked last year and barely is better this year. Doesn't seem to have affected their recruiting at all.

99.999999 percent of the time, single games have no effect on where a kid goes.

By the way, Sheldon Richardson is in a very similar situation to Boyd. Extremely close to his mom/brother (the brother is the biggest proponent of Mizzou, after having a terrible experience out-of-state and regretting not staying home). SR is taking his visits to have some fun and keep his name out there. So far, it has worked. His name has done nothing but work his way up the ratings charts since he started "checking out" other schools.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
99.999999 percent of the time, single games have no effect on where a kid goes.

Blaine Gabbert on line 2.

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Blaine Gabbert on line 2.

Blaine Gabbert didn't switch just because of Missouri beating Nebraska. He switched because his family's friend - Bill Callahan - was clearly going to be fired. He remained committed to Nebraska after the loss and was quoted in papers up there and by two separate Rivals sites as saying that the game wouldn't affect his decision. If Nebraska had rallied to win, say, 8 games last year and Callahan had survived, Gabbert would be a Cornhusker right now.

But as things snowballed and the writing on the wall for Callahan became clear, he became more serious about looking around again. He made his switch on November 10. Over a month after the Missouri win against Nebraska. Missouri had stayed in touch with him the whole way and he had good relationships with Chase Daniel and David Yost.

Did it help that the Tigers kicked the ever-living shit out of Nebraska last year? It didn't hurt. But it also was really not a huge factor. certainly not enough on its own ...

Chocolate Hog
12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Does this mean Nebraska gets the best bowl game out of all the teams in the Big 12 North?

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Does this mean Nebraska gets the best bowl game out of all the teams in the Big 12 North?

Gator?

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Gator?

If the Gator doesn't sell out its tickets this year, they probably will fold the bowl next year.

Missouri is the more deserving choice, but Nebraska will sell more tickets and probably, combined with Clemson, guarantee a sellout. Easy choice.

Gator v. Alamo doesn't drown out 52-17, though...

Chocolate Hog
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Gator?

Yea. Rumor is the Gator Bowl: Nebraska Vs Ga Tech.

Chocolate Hog
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
If the Gator doesn't sell out its tickets this year, they probably will fold the bowl next year.

Missouri is the more deserving choice, but Nebraska will sell more tickets and probably, combined with Clemson, guarantee a sellout. Easy choice.

Gator v. Alamo doesn't drown out 52-17, though...

Yea but I think we can agree those teams are different now I bet if they played again it would be a good game. They both finished 5-3 in the confrence and Nebraska will sell out any bowl game it goes to.

FishingRod
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
"Just to be curious, how long did MU fans bask after the win vs Kansas last year? Serious question, to see if it lasted a week or longer, enjoy it beakers."

You have got to be kidding.

It lasted until the FG attempt failed at the end of this game.

FWIW I would like to see MU beat OU. MU is like your retarded brother. You can make fun of them but no one else can.

The only way to top KU's National championship last year would have been for KU to beat MU twice in the regular season, then in the Big 12 Tournament championship game and then for the national championship with MU winning every other game.

Lzen
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM

I don't agree with that. Jake Sharp ran pretty well against OU. Hell, if we had not abandoned Sharp in the 3rd quarter of a 1 TD game, it may have been much closer at the end.

bobbything
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't agree with that. Jake Sharp ran pretty well against OU. Hell, if we had not abandoned Sharp in the 3rd quarter of a 1 TD game, it may have been much closer at the end.
I think just about anyone can run the ball against OU. The problem is that they're going to match you score-for-score on most occasions. MU's strength obviously isn't their running game so if/when it breaks down Pinkle will feel like he's fallen behind (much like Mangino did). And when playing OU, it becomes more like a tennis match; you HAVE to hold serve or you're done.

ferrarispider95
12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
mizzou is toast, bradford is going to light up your secondary. You are only hope is to match them score for score and hope to get a couple turnovers. Also their dline is fast as hell.

I would be trying to live off Maclin and you better hope Coffman can be somewhat effective with his turf toe.

Frazod
12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I suppose there could be a pride factor in play here, after getting ambushed while looking ahead for the second fucking time this year, thay maybe, MAYBE, they will elevate their play somewhat.

But I doubt it.

I figure we'll hang with them for about a half and then get worn out and blown away, just like OSU did last week and we did twice last year.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
That, or we'll get blown out in the 1st ala Texas and score around 30 the 2nd half

I have hope that they will come out amped, we really need the defense saturday

Frazod
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
If only we could fool Stoops into thinking it was a bowl game.....

Skip Towne
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
The problem with beating OU is that you not only have to be as good as they are, you also have to be as deep as they are. Or they will grind you into the turf.

KChiefs1
12-02-2008, 04:42 PM

This could be the last year of the Gator Bowl...they will pull out all stops...I think they'll try & get Florida State along with Nebraska(Corn fans didn't get a bowl game last year so they are desperate). I think the Gator Bowl would have taken a 7-5 suckass Notre Dame team too but they lost to Syracuse which screwed them.

Ari Chi3fs
12-02-2008, 05:33 PM
MU will beat OU. OU has the Chiefs locker room.

alanm
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM

We can't run the ball against Oklahoma, because the zone read system takes too long and their LBs are too fast. Any holes that we create will be filled in the 2 seconds it takes for the back to make his initial read.Roy Helu ran for 157 yrds against Oklahoma with Ganz running the zone read. Dunno, maybe Ganz makes quicker decisions than Daniel. :D

alanm
12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Yea. Rumor is the Gator Bowl: Nebraska Vs Ga Tech.Rumor this afternoon is Nebraska vs Fla St or Clemson.
Chick Fil A wants Ga Tech. since it's in Atlanta.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
MU will beat OU. OU has the Chiefs locker room.

That would definetly more than make up for the loss against KU, and OSU

Guru
12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
If only we could fool Stoops into thinking it was a bowl game.....If he would prepare the team for bowl games like he does the Big Twelve championship game....

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I suppose there could be a pride factor in play here, after getting ambushed while looking ahead for the second fucking time this year, thay maybe, MAYBE, they will elevate their play somewhat.

But I doubt it.

I figure we'll hang with them for about a half and then get worn out and blown away, just like OSU did last week and we did twice last year.

The fact of the matter is that this team has flat out not showed up to play in five games this year:

OSU, Texas, Baylor, Kansas, and Buffalo. Pinkel cannot get his players ready to play consistently. It's ridiculous.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Roy Helu ran for 157 yrds against Oklahoma with Ganz running the zone read. Dunno, maybe Ganz makes quicker decisions than Daniel. :D

Comparatively, our running game has been in slow motion this year. You could notice a huge difference between Reesing and Sharp and Daniel and Washington, even though Washington is the far superior back.

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
It looks like Nebraska's opponent in the Gator Bowl will be Clemson. I wanted to play Florida State, but it sounds like a good game. The Gator Bowl was probably the ceiling for Nebraska. I didn't think they would finish second in the North.

alanm
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
It looks like Nebraska's opponent in the Gator Bowl will be Clemson. I wanted to play Florida State, but it sounds like a good game. The Gator Bowl was probably the ceiling for Nebraska. I didn't think they would finish second in the North.Actually they tied with Missouri. So their Co-Champions. Missouri has the tie breaker for the Championship game. Lucky them.

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Actually they tied with Missouri. So their Co-Champions. Missouri has the tie breaker for the Championship game. Lucky them.

I think Bo has done a good job so far. The defense's walk-on starters have played well. An overtime win against Texas Tech wouldn't been fantastic, but the game I want back was against Virginia Tech. I think Nebraska would win if those teams played today.

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Actually they tied with Missouri. So their Co-Champions. Missouri has the tie breaker for the Championship game. Lucky them.

You're embarrassing yourself. You sound like a kansas fan.

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 09:07 PM

That had to be sarcasm

Brock
12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
That had to be sarcasm

I think it was butthurt.

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I think it was butthurt.

Mizzou was clearly the better team that night. There's nothing Nebraska could do but move on, and that game was the turning point in their season.

I don't think you can mention OU beating down Nebraska for a fairly obvious reason. Nebraska moved on and played well after that game, too.

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Mizzou was clearly the better team that night. There's nothing Nebraska could do but move on, and that game was the turning point in their season.

I don't think you can mention OU beating down Nebraska for a fairly obvious reason. Nebraska moved on and played well after that game, too.Nebraska's been improving at an alarming rate. Yeah, Mizzou pounded you that night... but you're getting better (quickly).

I'd rather you weren't, but it is what it is.

Should be fun next season. I expect Mizzou will still be in the mix, depending on Gabbert.

duncan_idaho
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
That had to be sarcasm

What kind of Nebraska fan claims a "co-championship?"

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Nebraska's been improving at an alarming rate. Yeah, Mizzou pounded you that night... but you're getting better (quickly).

I'd rather you weren't, but it is what it is.

Should be fun next season. I expect Mizzou will still be in the mix, depending on Gabbert.

I'm concerned about KU. I don't know their schedule, but I think Reesing, Sharp and Briscoe will be back. Nebraska travels to KU and Mizzou with a new QB and some inexperienced receivers. I'd favor Mizzou against Nebraska.

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
What kind of Nebraska fan claims a "co-championship?"One who hasn't seen a real one in a while.

Nebraska fans are spoiled. Hell, so are KU fans.

Sam Hall
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
What kind of Nebraska fan claims a "co-championship?"

I think that's what the conference calls it. Believe me, Nebraska fans know Mizzou beat them.

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm concerned about KU. I don't know their schedule, but I think Reesing, Sharp and Briscoe will be back. Nebraska travels to KU and Mizzou with a new QB and some inexperienced receivers. I'd favor Mizzou against Nebraska.I really don't know what to expect from Mizzou next season. Anything good will be a bonus, for me.

I'm just hoping somehow, some way.. they pull out a win next week. I have a ticket, and I'd like to say I was there when it happened.

luv
12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I really don't know what to expect from Mizzou next season. Anything good will be a bonus, for me.

I'm just hoping somehow, some way.. they pull out a win next week. I have a ticket, and I'd like to say I was there when it happened.

You get to go to the good games at Arrowhead this year. So not fair.

alanm
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
What kind of Nebraska fan claims a "co-championship?"I feel I can speak for most Nebraska fans and say we would prefer to win it outright. Next year should be fun in the North. I don't think you could rule out any team with the possible exception of Iowa St. I just hope that the North teams can play .500 or better against the South.

alanm
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
One who hasn't seen a real one in a while.

Nebraska fans are spoiled. Hell, so are KU fans.Well, It has been 2 yrs since we played in KC. :)

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
You get to go to the good games at Arrowhead this year. So not fair.The Big XII Championship was (is) a bit of a shock. We all got a 300 cash bonus at work for selling 3mil gross in a month. One of the two guys I went to the MU/KU game with said, "So, I spent my bonus on tickets for next week. You guys coming?"

And then I was like, "Oh, hell yes."

Mr. Kotter
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM

As well they should....after K-U BEAT M-U.....duh! :shrug:

;)

:p

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
As well they should....after K-U BEAT M-U.....duh! :shrug:

;)

:pF*ck off, Beaker.

(Grats on the win.) :grr:

alanm
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I really don't know what to expect from Mizzou next season. Anything good will be a bonus, for me.

I'd fall down laughing hysterically if that were to happen. It would f*ck up all the post season bowls. So natch it's probably going to happen. :D

luv
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
The Big XII Championship was (is) a bit of a shock. We all got a 300 cash bonus at work for selling 3mil gross in a month. One of the two guys I went to the MU/KU game with said, "So, I spent my bonus on tickets for next week. You guys coming?"

And then I was like, "Oh, hell yes."

I considered buying the two Dartgod has for sale, but it was either go the the game (which entails gas, tailgate supplies, probably a hotel room) or getting things I need (like food, getting a tooth pulled, etc). Unfortunately, need comes before want.

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd fall down laughing hysterically if that were to happen. It would f*ck up all the post season bowls. So natch it's probably going to happen. :DPleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease, etc.

Bearcat
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM

It's crazy how people just assume OU will show up and win by 63. Of course, I wouldn't be overjoyed at the chance of playing the Sooners, but it's funny that people continue to give teams zero chance of winning games. OU should win by a couple of touchdowns, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they lost.

luv
12-02-2008, 09:46 PM
It's crazy how people just assume OU will show up and win by 63. Of course, I wouldn't be overjoyed at the chance of playing the Sooners, but it's funny that people continue to give teams zero chance of winning games. OU should win by a couple of touchdowns, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they lost.

Trying to cover both bases with one post? :p

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Trying to cover both bases with one post? :pEh, anyone who says they know for certain how a football game will turn out, is just bullshitting you. Obviously, one outcome is more likely than the other.... but weird shit happens all the time. Bearcat's right.

I'm hoping for that huge unlikely upset.

Mr. Kotter
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
F*ck off, Beaker.

(Grats on the win.) :grr:

Gotta give you a little crap, don't we? :shrug:

;)

luv
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Eh, anyone who says they know for certain how a football game will turn out, is just bullshitting you. Obviously, one outcome can be more likely than the other.... but weird shit happens all the time.

I just like teasing him.

Any given Sunday...errr...Saturday....

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Gotta give you a little crap, don't we? :shrug:

;)Yeah, we deserve it. At least you've been fairly good natured about it. Again, it was a hell of a game.

I'm just now getting my voice back.

Mr. Kotter
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, we deserve it. At least you've been fairly good natured about it. Again, it was a hell of a game.

I'm just now getting my voice back.

Seriously, it was a classic.

It makes up about 50% for last year....:grr:

Which means you STILL owe us....heh. :D

alanm
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Eh, anyone who says they know for certain how a football game will turn out, is just bullshitting you. Obviously, one outcome is more likely than the other.... but weird shit happens all the time. Bearcat's right.

I'm hoping for that huge unlikely upset.I think at lot will depend on Missouri's defense as to how the game will go. They have to take the ball away a couple of times at least. And they have to get to Bradford. Knock him around and rattle him.

luv
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I think at lot will depend on Missouri's defense as to how the game will go. They have to take the ball away a couple of times at least. And they have to get to Bradford. Knock him around and rattle him.

I hope the defense is completely embarrassed by their performance last week. I hope they're embarrassed enough to do something about it. And Chase will have to on his best, too.

Bearcat
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Trying to cover both bases with one post? :p

Yeah, it's why I don't gamble... I'd just end up betting on both sides. :)

People have a tendency to link games together, like when KU barely beat Davidson and everyone claimed they couldn't play with UNC because of it... had Mizzou beat Kansas by 30, the knee-jerk reaction would be optimism, even though that game has nothing to do with the B12 Championship game.

I'm kind of with frazod, thinking Mizzou will keep it close for a half... a small part of me wants Mizzou to win so Texas backs into the NC game without having won it's own division. But, I wouldn't mind if they lost by 17 touchdowns either. :D

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I think at lot will depend on Missouri's defense as to how the game will go. They have to take the ball away a couple of times at least. And they have to get to Bradford. Knock him around and rattle him.Yes... and get Maclin loose a few times.

luv
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah, it's why I don't gamble... I'd just end up betting on both sides. :)

People have a tendency to link games together, like when KU barely beat Davidson and everyone claimed they couldn't play with UNC because of it... had Mizzou beat Kansas by 30, the knee-jerk reaction would be optimism, even though that game has nothing to do with the B12 Championship game.

I'm kind of with frazod, thinking Mizzou will keep it close for a half... a small part of me wants Mizzou to win so Texas backs into the NC game without having won it's own division. But, I wouldn't mind if they lost by 17 touchdowns either. :D

Agreed (except for the MU losing by 17 TD's thing). I think Texas should be in it over OU anyway.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
All i gotta say is Chase and some of the other guys have 2 games left in their careers, atleast some in College. It's time to go balls to the wall these next 2 games we have left.

KcMizzou
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
All i gotta say is Chase and some of the other guys have 2 games left in their careers, atleast some in College. It's time to go balls to the wall these next 2 games we have left.Yep. It's all (mostly all) still right there for the taking... If they are, in fact good enough to get it done.

And ya know...

Even if they aren't, they've given us the best Mizzou football I've ever seen. I'll be sad to see those guys go.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Yep. It's all (mostly all) still right there for the taking... If they are, in fact good enough to get it done.

And ya know...

Even if they aren't, they've given us the best Mizzou football I've ever seen. I'll be sad to see those guys go.
Agreed, last season was a major trip and i loved every second of it. This season still has been solid, and yeah i feel spoiled and thought we had a chance to be in the top 5 in the end again but hey considering where this program has been, i won't complain.

I will miss seeing some of these guys like Mac, the chases, william moore, weatherspoon. Hopefully their success will lead to more success for Mizzou in the very near future.

KChiefs1
12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
San Antonio is a fun town. I'd rather go to San Diego but I'd take San Antonio.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Just think how pissed off Oklahoma State and Texas Tech fans will be if Mizzou wins.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I think just about anyone can run the ball against OU. The problem is that they're going to match you score-for-score on most occasions. MU's strength obviously isn't their running game so if/when it breaks down Pinkle will feel like he's fallen behind (much like Mangino did). And when playing OU, it becomes more like a tennis match; you HAVE to hold serve or you're done.

Yep. That's right on. I think that must be what happened to Tech. They got caught up in that and then it started snowballing on them.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:10 AM
If he would prepare the team for bowl games like he does the Big Twelve championship game(not counting 2003)...

FYP

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Comparatively, our running game has been in slow motion this year. You could notice a huge difference between Reesing and Sharp and Daniel and Washington, even though Washington is the far superior back.

Far superior? Last I heard, Sharp was 2nd in the Big 12 (since conference play started?).

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Far superior? Last I heard, Sharp was 2nd in the Big 12 (since conference play started?).

Rushing yardage does not equate to a back's skill. Anyone who follows college football should know this.

We'll also ignore the fact that Washington runs for 1.6 YPC more, has 6 more touchdowns, and 200 more yards with 18 fewer carries despite being in a pass first O.

kepp
12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

The problem with MU's run game is that it is too slow developing to be effective against a defense as fast as OU's.

ChiefsCountry
12-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Sharp better than Derrick Washington. Oh brother, the Planet's stupidity is high today.

kepp
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=4&rpt=IA_playerscoring&site=org

Notice who's #8 and who's not even on the list?

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Hey, we realize that MU beat us last and never said otherwise. But we do have a trophy as "co-champ" of the B12 North. We aren't going to apologize for an incredible season.

I feel I can speak for most Nebraska fans and say we would prefer to win it outright. Next year should be fun in the North. I don't think you could rule out any team with the possible exception of Iowa St. I just hope that the North teams can play .500 or better against the South.

I don't think KSU will be able to compete that well next year. That thing is a mess. Snyder was once an incredible coach. But can he work a miracle next year? I think it might take a bit longer. My guess is that KSU JUCO is not going to be very competitive next year.

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
FYP
If he would prepare the team for bowl games like he does the Big Twelve championship game(not counting 2003)...

OU was prepared in 2003. They just got their asses handed to them by the better team. They jumped out to 7-0 lead after 4 offensive plays and had 4 other chances in the first quarter from great field positon.

Almost five years ago now. Time flies.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I considered buying the two Dartgod has for sale, but it was either go the the game (which entails gas, tailgate supplies, probably a hotel room) or getting things I need (like food, getting a tooth pulled, etc). Unfortunately, need comes before want.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/pliers-1.jpg

http://www.calculateme.com/MySpace/background-images/can-tuna.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Ice 101? Somebody explain that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Ice 101? Somebody explain that.

I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw a fifth of Ice 101. It reminded me of the time when one of my friends got drunk for the first time, chugging a fifth of it in about 10 minutes. He spent the next two hours lying outside of the tent dry heaving trying not to die.

Two years later we were in his room and he was drunk. He starts rummaging through old alcohol bottles and finds that, I get him to autograph it and give it to me. I had the bottle for over 6 years before some dumbass threw it out during a move.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Rushing yardage does not equate to a back's skill. Anyone who follows college football should know this.

We'll also ignore the fact that Washington runs for 1.6 YPC more, has 6 more touchdowns, and 200 more yards with 18 fewer carries despite being in a pass first O.

While you're at it, ignore the fact that Sharp has been playing all year with a line that has 2, that's right, 2 redshirt freshmen tackles. Saying "far superior back" is pure homerism.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=4&rpt=IA_playerscoring&site=org

Notice who's #8 and who's not even on the list?

I never said Sharp was better. I am saying that the claim that MU's back is far superior is incorrect. But you MU's keep on with your homer fest. BTW, I put in parenthesis(since conference play started). Let's see the conference play only stats.

Saulbadguy
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Sharp better than Derrick Washington. Oh brother, the Planet's stupidity is high today.

You apparently missed the Winbush vs Sproles debate in the early 00's.

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
You apparently missed the Winbush vs Sproles debate in the early 00's.

One of the greatest threads of all time. Was that a Tom Light exclusive?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
While you're at it, ignore the fact that Sharp has been playing all year with a line that has 2, that's right, 2 redshirt freshmen tackles. Saying "far superior back" is pure homerism.

What is Elvis Fisher?

By the way, if you put this to a poll, you'd get slaughtered. There is no comparison between those two.

kepp
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I never said Sharp was better. I am saying that the claim that MU's back is far superior is incorrect. But you MU's keep on with your homer fest. BTW, I put in parenthesis(since conference play started). Let's see the conference play only stats.

Yeah, I suppose the only thing that list shows is that Washington is far superior only in scoring.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Washington: 602, 9 TDs, 6.1 YPC, no 19 carry games
Sharp: 710, 11 TDs, 4.9 YPC, 5 19 carry games

I forgot that Eddie George was better than Marshall Faulk because he had more carries. Thanks for the reminder.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Let me help you. You forgot to show all the stats.

Washington:
99 carries, 602 yards, avg. 6.1, 9 TDs
19 receptions, 161 yards, avg. 8.5, 1 TD

Sharp:
144 carries, 710 yards, avg. 4.9, 11 TDs,
21 receptions, 261 yards, avg. 12.4, 1 TD

Those stats don't say to me "far superior". Washington has a better yards per rush average by slightly better than a yard. But Sharp has a 4 yard better avg. per reception. Or are we just not counting receiving yards since it does not favor your back?

Lzen
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I suppose the only thing that list shows is that Washington is far superior only in scoring.

Since you have reading comprehension problems, I will try to spell it out again. I said "since conference play started". Which is what they commentators like to mention every game. You guys act as if Sharp is some nobody. Hate to break it to you, but he isn't half bad. And again, I never made the argument that Sharp was the better back. Only that Washington IS NOT FAR SUPERIOR. Only a MU homer would make that statement.

Pablo
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Mizzou should probably just direct snap the ball to Maclin and Washington against OU.

Keep Big Game Chase from throwing about 4 picks.

Bearcat
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Remember, people, last year all it took to be vastly superior was 8 points. ;)

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Let me help you. You forgot to show all the stats.

Washington:
99 carries, 602 yards, avg. 6.1, 9 TDs
19 receptions, 161 yards, avg. 8.5, 1 TD

Sharp:
144 carries, 710 yards, avg. 4.9, 11 TDs,
21 receptions, 261 yards, avg. 12.4, 1 TD

Those stats don't say to me "far superior". Washington has a better yards per rush average by slightly better than a yard. But Sharp has a 4 yard better avg. per reception. Or are we just not counting receiving yards since it does not favor your back?

JFC.

First you want to limit it to BXII conference play.

Then you want to expand it from rushing to all yardage.

Are there any more goalposts you'd like to move?

Perhaps you'd like to explain why Sharp had no touchdowns in non-con?
Would you like to explain why Sharp had 300 fewer yards in non-con?
Would you like to explain why Sharp had fewer receiving yards in non-con?

No one would look at a back who has 960 yards with a 6.3 avg and 17 TDs and a back that had 760 yards with a 4.7 avg (good for 13th in the conference BTW) with 11 TDs, and say that the second is even remotely in the same league as the first, especially given the fact that neither one is running behind a line that is anything more than mediocre.

Jake Sharp is also third in the country in rushing yardage gained in Arrowhead Stadium in the last week of November with a temperature of 35 degrees and wintry mix precipitation.

Therefore, he must be the third best back in the country.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Easy to explain. Sharp didn't get much playing time early in the season. Mangino was playing musical RBs trying to find one that he thought could handle the load. I don't know if he was unsure of who was the best back or if he was trying to light a fire under Jake. He finally realized that Sharp's season last year was not just a fluke and that despite his small frame, he could, in fact, handle the load. Sharp became the starter when conference play started and he has done well.

I only included conference for another very good reason. It is very difficult to compare non-con opponents. And MU probably had easier non cons anyway. KU did not play SEMO and USF's defense is pretty freakin' good - or at least was until they starte looking like a MASH unit.

WilliamTheIrish
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Easy to explain. Sharp didn't get much playing time early in the season. Mangino was playing musical RBs trying to find one that he thought could handle the load. I don't know if he was unsure of who was the best back or if he was trying to light a fire under Jake. He finally realized that Sharp's season last year was not just a fluke and that despite his small frame, he could, in fact, handle the load. Sharp became the starter when conference play started and he has done well.

I only included conference for another very good reason. It is very difficult to compare non-con opponents. And MU probably had easier non cons anyway. KU did not play SEMO and USF's defense is pretty freakin' good - or at least was until they starte looking like a MASH unit.

You may be correct. My theory is that Mangino knows Sharp couldn't take a full season of punishment and limited his carries. This gave him a reason to try OJ 2K Crawford throughout the non con.
When conference play started he used Sharp more excusively. It's all conjecture, but what the hell?

Lzen
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
OJ 2K Crawford. ROFL Ouch. That's rough.

Que Card QB
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM

I only included conference for another very good reason. It is very difficult to compare non-con opponents. And MU probably had easier non cons anyway. KU did not play SEMO and USF's defense is pretty freakin' good - or at least was until they starte looking like a MASH unit.Sharp wasn't even our starting running back until Big XII play. He barely got any touches. Crawford was supposed to be the badass. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=191559

You may be correct. My theory is that Mangino knows Sharp couldn't take a full season of punishment and limited his carries. This gave him a reason to try OJ 2K Crawford throughout the non con.
When conference play started he used Sharp more excusively. It's all conjecture, but what the hell?No. He didn't know the guy could play as well as he can until he started showing it in the non con. Crawford was supposed to be the guy. He was the #1 D2 running back. He got the ball in the non con and failed. Every time Sharp got the ball filling in for Crawford, he excelled, which earned the starting role beginning in conference play.

Lzen
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Sharp wasn't even our starting running back until Big XII play. He barely got any touches. Crawford was supposed to be the badass. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=191559

No. He didn't know the guy could play as well as he can until he started showing it in the non con. Crawford was supposed to be the guy. He was the #1 D2 running back. He got the ball in the non con and failed. Every time Sharp got the ball filling in for Crawford, he excelled, which earned the starting role beginning in conference play.

One note about Sharp. He did not get any playing time (at running back)in the last non con game against Sam Houston State until late when they put in all the scrubs. He did play on the kick coverages, I believe. That is part of what led me to believe that Mangino was trying to send a message. Maybe Sharp was not giving what MM thought was his best effort to start this year after a pretty successful 2007 season.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Who would you rather have Jake Sharp or Derrick Washington?

Lzen
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Who would you rather have Jake Sharp or Derrick Washington?

Washington IS NOT FAR SUPERIOR. Only a MU homer would make that statement.

Que Card QB
12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Who would you rather have Jake Sharp or Derrick Washington?I don't see that it matters one way or the other. Both have been just as effective for each team.

Lzen
12-04-2008, 08:43 AM
BTW, just to put this thought to rest (or perhaps add fuel to the fire depending on how you read it).

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/dec/04/ku-can-forget-alamo/?football
KU can forget the Alamo

By Dugan Arnett (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/dugan_arnett/)

While representatives of the Alamo Bowl have discussed the possibility of selecting the Kansas University football team during Sunday’s selection show, most of their attention is currently focused on fellow Big 12 schools Oklahoma State and Missouri, according to a bowl official.
“We had a meeting last Monday, and we talked about Kansas,” Rick Hill, vice president of marketing and communications for the Alamo Bowl, said Wednesday. “Right now, our focus was that we’re focusing on Oklahoma State and Missouri, barring anything wacky like coaches leaving, players getting hurt.”

The Alamo Bowl, held Dec. 29 in San Antonio, annually pits a Big 12 team against a team from the Big Ten, with a combined payout of $4.45 million in 2008. After the BCS bowls have been filled, the Alamo Bowl has either the third or fourth pick among Big 12 teams, depending on whether the Gator Bowl selects a team from the Big 12.
Currently, the Gator Bowl is required to pick a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In years it does so, the bowl is one spot ahead of the Alamo Bowl in the conference pecking order.
If the Alamo Bowl is not interested, the Insight Bowl, played Dec. 31 in Tempe, Ariz., will be KU’s likely bowl destination.
The Insight Bowl has the sixth pick in the Big 12 and has been following Kansas actively throughout the second half of the season.
And Tuesday’s comments from Hill don’t do anything to suggest the Jayhawks won’t be spending their New Year’s Eve in the desert.
“I think Kansas will probably be brought up Sunday,” Hill said. “But they’re not really on the board.”

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
BTW, just to put this thought to rest (or perhaps add fuel to the fire depending on how you read it).

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/dec/04/ku-can-forget-alamo/?football
KU can forget the Alamo

By Dugan Arnett (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/dugan_arnett/)

While representatives of the Alamo Bowl have discussed the possibility of selecting the Kansas University football team during Sunday’s selection show, most of their attention is currently focused on fellow Big 12 schools Oklahoma State and Missouri, according to a bowl official.
“We had a meeting last Monday, and we talked about Kansas,” Rick Hill, vice president of marketing and communications for the Alamo Bowl, said Wednesday. “Right now, our focus was that we’re focusing on Oklahoma State and Missouri, barring anything wacky like coaches leaving, players getting hurt.”

The Alamo Bowl, held Dec. 29 in San Antonio, annually pits a Big 12 team against a team from the Big Ten, with a combined payout of $4.45 million in 2008. After the BCS bowls have been filled, the Alamo Bowl has either the third or fourth pick among Big 12 teams, depending on whether the Gator Bowl selects a team from the Big 12.
Currently, the Gator Bowl is required to pick a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In years it does so, the bowl is one spot ahead of the Alamo Bowl in the conference pecking order.
If the Alamo Bowl is not interested, the Insight Bowl, played Dec. 31 in Tempe, Ariz., will be KU’s likely bowl destination.
The Insight Bowl has the sixth pick in the Big 12 and has been following Kansas actively throughout the second half of the season.
And Tuesday’s comments from Hill don’t do anything to suggest the Jayhawks won’t be spending their New Year’s Eve in the desert.
“I think Kansas will probably be brought up Sunday,” Hill said. “But they’re not really on the board.”

I hate this kid (went to j-school with him). But he's right. Dave Matter of the Columbia Daily Trib has basically the same info...

kepp
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
“Right now, our focus was that we’re focusing on Oklahoma State and Missouri, barring anything wacky like coaches leaving, players getting hurt.”

Woops...I guess okie state is going to the Alamo.

kepp
12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't see that it matters one way or the other. Both have been just as effective for each team.

Rausch
12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
As a Mizzou fan, I ask you: Has Chase ever been in a big game he DIDN'T choke on hardcore?...

kepp
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
As a Mizzou fan, I ask you: Has Chase ever been in a big game he DIDN'T choke on hardcore?...

Big game? Yes. Big game against a big-time team? Not that I can remember.

CoMoChief
12-04-2008, 09:13 AM

Last season's game at Arrowhead come to mind

Frazod
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM

Just Kansas last year, and the Cotton Bowl.

I'm glad we had him, and he certainly helped to put us back in the spotlight. But he crumples like an empty beer can under pressure, and there's really no nice way to say that. Would be nice if he didn't this weekend, but I just don't see that happening.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Woops...I guess okie state is going to the Alamo.

except that they have a coordinator leaving to take a head coaching job, too.

DC Tim Beckmann is going to be the new coach at Toledo...

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I really hope we get another "Let's go to the Ass-Pit of America; Texas"-Bowl this year!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Tigers made a conscious decision to let Daniel pursue that Trophy, and when you combine that with the three game stretch against "Nobody U" right after Illinois, it's no wonder they got killed upon their first venture in to the South.

kepp
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
except that they have a coordinator leaving to take a head coaching job, too.

DC Tim Beckmann is going to be the new coach at Toledo...

I hadn't heard that. So we still have Eberflus. :cuss::cuss:

Frazod
12-04-2008, 09:24 AM

Is anybody even talking about this turd's job being in jeopardy? Seriously, what excuse does he have for such a poor showing this year with all the returning starters we had?

kepp
12-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Is anybody even talking about this turd's job being in jeopardy? Seriously, what excuse does he have for such a poor showing this year with all the returning starters we had?

He was supposedly also being interviewed by Toledo. But, yeah...it's pretty much wishful thinking.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Brown Mackey wouldn't even hire that sack of shit, let alone Toledo.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Brown Mackey wouldn't even hire that sack of shit, let alone Toledo.

There's always a future coaching the Maple Weeds flag football team...

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 09:54 AM

WE have Eberflus until he takes another job or resigns.

Pinkel "loves him like a son."

I'm just hoping we see a 2004-05 offseason-like change to the defense... it worked with Christensen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
WE have Eberflus until he takes another job or resigns.

Pinkel "loves him like a son."

I'm just hoping we see a 2004-05 offseason-like change to the defense... it worked with Christensen.

I'd settle for someone beating Eberflus with a pipe outside of the Field House.

Que Card QB
12-04-2008, 10:00 AM
.No it doesn't matter. The question itself is a dodge--a distraction from acknowledging Sharp through gold colored glasses--not the answer. I wouldn't want one over the other.

KU could have Washington, MU could have Sharp and it wouldn't matter a bit to either team's record or effectiveness running the ball. They're both effective as far as college running backs are concerned. Neither of them are in a league of great running backs like AP, McFadden, Bush. It's like arguing over who can better piss a quart or 2 pints.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 10:02 AM

LMAO

I think we'll see them go back to the 4-2-5 as the base package. Not sure if that will help, but he DOES have more experience with that formation. The tampa 2 ain't cutting it, that's for sure.

Of course, if they stick with the tampa 2 and get a better pass rush from Smith/Smith/Coulter/Richardson, things might look a little different. TOugh to run that scheme without very good DEs.

Dream No. 1 was Toledo hiring Eberflus.
Dream No. 2 is Pinkel using some of the leftover Christensen cash to bring in another defense guy to co-defensive coordinator (Tom Astutz IS available).

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
No it doesn't matter. The question itself is a dodge--a distraction from acknowledging Sharp through gold colored glasses--not the answer. I wouldn't want one over the other.

KU could have Washington, MU could have Sharp and it wouldn't matter a bit to either team's record or effectiveness running the ball. They're both effective as far as college running backs are concerned. Neither of them are in a league of great running backs like AP, McFadden, Bush. It's like arguing over who can better piss a quart or 2 pints.

There still can be a pretty clear difference between backs without them being AP, McFadden or Bush (probably the three best college runners of the decade, BTW).

Is Kendall Hunter a lot better than Jake Sharp? DeMarco Murray? Yes to both. Neither is as good as the three guys you listed.

Just because Sharp is effective doesn't mean he is AS effective as Washington. I don't know if I'd say "far superior" like the original language or whatever, but he IS clearly better.

Lono
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm not so sure that it is Eberflus fault. Guys I dont care how many people we have back on defense from last year. Have you seen our corners and safeties? It wouldn't matter who was coaching them, they are slow as shit minus Moore. They need to recruit more speed but at dback not wideout. I still have the Illinois game in my head. How slow are our corners. We play zero cover 1 and you have to be able to do that to get pressure on the qb some, zone blitzes can't be the only thing you run. We are not a tampa 2 team.

Que Card QB
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
There still can be a pretty clear difference between backs without them being AP, McFadden or Bush (probably the three best college runners of the decade, BTW).

Is Kendall Hunter a lot better than Jake Sharp? DeMarco Murray? Yes to both. Neither is as good as the three guys you listed.

Just because Sharp is effective doesn't mean he is AS effective as Washington. I don't know if I'd say "far superior" like the original language or whatever, but he IS clearly better.There can be but there isn't. KU would not have won any more games with Washington and MU wouldn't have won any more with Sharp. That was what I was responding to.

Frazod
12-04-2008, 10:25 AM

LMAO

You need to change your name back to Hamas. "Ice 101" simply isn't angry enough for you.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not so sure that it is Eberflus fault. Guys I dont care how many people we have back on defense from last year. Have you seen our corners and safeties? It wouldn't matter who was coaching them, they are slow as shit minus Moore. They need to recruit more speed but at dback not wideout. I still have the Illinois game in my head. How slow are our corners. We play zero cover 1 and you have to be able to do that to get pressure on the qb some, zone blitzes can't be the only thing you run. We are not a tampa 2 team.

Missouri has run a cover 2 since Eberflus dumped the 4-2-5 3-4 years ago. He added a lot of tampa 2 scheme this past offseason, especially in the blitz packages and specifically how the nickel corner is used as a run supporter/blitzer. This actually is the first year they've played much cover 1/cover zero.

It hasn't worked.

And as for speed... I think the secondary IS a little oversized, especially Garrett, but the biggest problem with the coverage has not been a lack of speed but a lack of awareness and sound technique within the scheme. It doesn't matter how fast a safety is when you're playing cover 1 and the outside corner doesn't force the receiver's route inside, away from the sideline. It doesn't matter how fast a corner is if he's peeking in the backfield when he shouldn't. etc.

There should be a speed upgrade, though, next year. Garrett is gone, and the only S Missouri has that big (Zaviar Gooden) is faster. Bridges - who kept his job because he was consistent and assignment sound - will leave an open spot to be filled either by Kevin Rutland or Munir Prince - two of the fastest players on teh entire team.

Finally, you have to blame Eberflus for a large part of it. This is the same unit that was pretty solid, especially late, last year. He changed a lot of things around and has been much more aggressive blitzing. He has continued to go to those blitzes even though they have not been effective.

When a coordinator is slamming his defense's head against a brick wall game after game, hell yes he deserves blame. A lot of it.

Lono
12-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I dont know what games you have been watching but I dont remember them playing cover 1 all year long. A matter of fact I attended the mu clinic this year and the linebacker coach said they very rarely ever try to play cover 1. We have continually gotten beat by a reciever running right down the sideline. If we were playing cover 1 the corner would be running with the reciever and they havent been doing that. The safety hasnt been getting back. Period. I say Eberflus is playing with what he's got on defense and that aint much.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I dont know what games you have been watching but I dont remember them playing cover 1 all year long. A matter of fact I attended the mu clinic this year and the linebacker coach said they very rarely ever try to play cover 1. We have continually gotten beat by a reciever running right down the sideline. If we were playing cover 1 the corner would be running with the reciever and they havent been doing that. The safety hasnt been getting back. Period. I say Eberflus is playing with what he's got on defense and that aint much.

You're talking about cover 1 - 1 safety deep, right?

They played a TON of cover 1 in the Illinois game (with Garrett as the deep safety). And oSu. Etc. It has been fairly common this year, much more than in the past (they have gone away from the two deep concept quite a bit this season)

In a cover 1 zone, only one corner generally has deep responsibility. The other generally is tasked to cover their zone drop, while routing the receiver inside (denying them the sideline) and turning over responsibility to the deep safety.

Missouri has gotten burned in cover 1 multiple times this year. And something like 3 times against Illinois.

They certainly didn't play much cover 1/cover zero in the past. But they have played a LOT this year. And it hasn't worked.

Lono
12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Were talking about two different coverages. Im not talking about cover 1 zone. Im talking about a true Cover 1. Blitz a linebacker, one outside on number 2 reciever 1 safety on other number 2. both corners on number 1s and fs over the top. Could blitz 2 linebackers if you wanted to go cover 0 but that would be pretty dang risky if you didnt have great db's. I dont want to release anyone free, stick with them and put pressure on the qb.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Were talking about two different coverages. Im not talking about cover 1 zone. Im talking about a true Cover 1. Blitz a linebacker, one outside on number 2 reciever 1 safety on other number 2. both corners on number 1s and fs over the top. Could blitz 2 linebackers if you wanted to go cover 0 but that would be pretty dang risky if you didnt have great db's. I dont want to release anyone free, stick with them and put pressure on the qb.

Thought we might be talking about different coverages.

I'm with you, but they HAVE played a lot of one-deep zone on blitzes, where one corner covers a specific zone and releases his man to the deep safety, one runs with his receiver, etc.

So I guess technically that's a man/zone combination cover 1.

A lot of the deep balls against Missouri - and all of them but one, as I recall, in the Illinois game - have come to the zone side of that alignment.

Whatever the case, using Justin Garrett as the deep safety has not worked at all. Yes, that's a player limitation, but when a player isn't capable of executing an assignment, isn't the coach responsible if they keep calling a coverage that has been beaten time and again for big plays?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Justin Garrett wouldn't even work as cattle charge at the local CAFO.