PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting for Christmas? I'm getting a ROOT CANAL!

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Better than socks or underwear, I tell ya.

Just got back from the dentist and my 6-month cleaning, and he springs it on me. December 22 @ 10:00am.

YAY!1!!!11one!!

So, those of you who have had this done, give me the low-down. I've heard nothing but bad things, yet the dentist is making it out like it's a routine cavity filling.

Talk to me, people...

Delano
12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
You can avoid those types of things by never entering a Dentist's office.

MIAdragon
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
You can avoid those types of things by never entering a Dentist's office.

ROFL

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Have you had any pain on your teeth? I have to go to the dentist and the back upper tooth has been hurting me for the last week or so, like a sore pain. I assume its a cavity

The Bad Guy
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
The hardest part for me was getting the novicane needle jammed into the roof of my mouth. They are really no big deal.

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Have you had any pain on your teeth? I have to go to the dentist and the back upper tooth has been hurting me for the last week or so, like a sore pain. I assume its a cavity

Not until the assistant started scraping at my fucking teeth, no.

The dentist looked at the x-ray, looked at me, and said, "You haven't been having any trouble?"

He looked shocked when I said no...

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
The hardest part for me was getting the novicane needle jammed into the roof of my mouth. They are really no big deal.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Fucking awesome.

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Heading to dinner with the Mrs...

Looking forward to more talk of needles and drills.

See y'all...

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Not until the assistant started scraping at my ****ing teeth, no.

The dentist looked at the x-ray, looked at me, and said, "You haven't been having any trouble?"

Interesting...

I have soreness on a back tooth, and i havent been to the dentist in a bit over a year...

Gradually the pain has gotten less and less, but who knows, i know i better do an appointment incase and take care of anything that needs it.

wtf is a root canal anyway? a fucked up cavity?

MIAdragon
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM

needles in the mouth and feet are the WORST!

Gonzo
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
A root canal is when the dentist takes a craftsman 16.5V cordless drill with a rusty 5/8 bit to every tooth in your mouth. He drills them hollow and pours molten steel inside the holes. During this procedure you are fully awake with no effective anesthetic. He actually just shot you up with adreniline so you'd be sure to enjoy each and every sensation of pain and cruelity he decides to administer and bleed profusely.

While he is performing this "procedure" you may notice a wide grin on his face and a glossy look in his eyes. If you do notice this, do not try to stare him down for he may let the bit "slip" a half inch into your already swollen jaw bone. If you should notice this glazed look, just concede the fact that this "doctor" is likely pleasing himself rectally with the same water spicket he uses to wash your mouth out. You may think you acidentally ordered the peanut and corn flavored rinse.....You did not.

Merry fuckin Christmas dude.

Rausch
12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Divorced...

Buck
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
The Best Part is the Vicodin

JuicesFlowing
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
If you have a good dentist, then don't sweat it.

The Bad Guy
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM

****ing awesome.

It all depends on where the tooth is. If it's a top front tooth, they will have to put the needle into the roof of your mouth. If it's not, you have nothing to worry about.

I had an ex-girlfriend punch me in the face because she was a loon. When she pulled her hand away, my tooth was caught in her bracelet and she just yanked the bastard out.

I let it go until after football practice, and the remaining part of the tooth decayed by the next morning.

There was no pain with the root canal after the needle.

Rausch
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
It all depends on where the tooth is. If it's a top front tooth, they will have to put the needle into the roof of your mouth.

Nein. No needles in mein mouth.

Up the funny gas or...

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20080113/293.bardem.no.country.01130.jpg

Fishpicker
12-02-2008, 04:19 PM
they drill a hole down to the root and put in a post. then they cover that hole with cotton. if there is gas in the canal they need to let that clear out for a few days. they'll give you antibiotics to bring down the infection. just follow your dentists instructions to the letter or you'll end up with a dry socket which will make the root canal 5 times worse.

root canals are painful but they are nowhere near as painful as apico surgeries (cutting the root from the tooth underneath the gums)

tell the dentist you are a light sleeper and he will hook you up with hydrocodone or the tylenol equivalent.

Simply Red
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Better than socks or underwear, I tell ya.

Just got back from the dentist and my 6-month cleaning, and he springs it on me. December 22 @ 10:00am.

YAY!1!!!11one!!

So, those of you who have had this done, give me the low-down. I've heard nothing but bad things, yet the dentist is making it out like it's a routine cavity filling.

Talk to me, people...

Serves your ass right.

actually no, no, it doesn't.

and that was wrong.

I'm very sorry that I said that.

OnTheWarpath58
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
It all depends on where the tooth is. If it's a top front tooth, they will have to put the needle into the roof of your mouth. If it's not, you have nothing to worry about.

I had an ex-girlfriend punch me in the face because she was a loon. When she pulled her hand away, my tooth was caught in her bracelet and she just yanked the bastard out.

I let it go until after football practice, and the remaining part of the tooth decayed by the next morning.

#32.

Back molar, lower right side.

Mecca
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM

This is one of the greatest stories I've ever heard.

MatriculatingHank
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Strange that this topic came up now. I have a friend who has HORRIBLE teeth and his periodontist told him that he has to have ALL of them pulled this Thursday. He has a terrible gum disease and is in danger of heart disease or worst yet, a heart attack.
Think about it... he will have 28 teeth pulled at one time! The guy who is pulling them told him that all 28 will be sitting in a tray in less than 5 minutes!!!
Can you imagine the sounds... the pain.... the shock of looking in your mouth immediately after that happens????? :eek:
My friend is going to his favorite buffet tomorrow night and gorging himself before the big event on Thursday. He is sweating bullets right now. :(

yeti
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
#32.

thank goodness my wisdom teeth are out of there! 3rd molar endo is tough.

Ari Chi3fs
12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Get a second opinion... I was told that I needed one once, went to another dentist... said my teeth was fine.

I guess insurance companies have to pay a lot to a dentist for a sometimes unnecessary procedure.

Just sayin.

luv
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
#32.

That's where I need one, too. I'm thinking about just having him pull it instead. And the wisdom tooth aching next to it. Can't see those teeth when I smile anyway, and it will cost me about $700 less out of pocket.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Go up to that cesspool they call Mexico North with their free Health Care, and get one for free.

(I apologize to all the Mexicans out there).

MIAdragon
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
http://pro.corbis.com/images/CB043648.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BFB7B9AF9-C612-4144-9867-71E9E2AD2D8D%7D

luv
12-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I've had a root canal done before. While it ain't no walk in the park, it's not too bad. They make sure the root is numb. I would say something about holding my mouth open for that long with the constant sucking, not being able to swallow, and the sound of the drill, but people would take it the wrong way. Overall, it's not that bad, just a little uncomfortable.

MIAdragon
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I would say something about holding my mouth open for that long with the constant sucking, not being able to swallow, but people would take it the wrong way. Overall, it's not that bad, just a little uncomfortable.

:spock:

Bwana
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I bought my wife and I tickets for Belize. I had told her last year when my brother and I went, that I would take her "next year." It will be a great time, but it shook the shit out of my bank account today to make it happen. If I could have seen into the future that the economy was going to take dump, I would have kept my trap shut. Oh well, if I make a promise, I damn well keep it.

DeezNutz
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Until you start having pain, tell the dentist to go fuck himself. You need a reason to kill a tooth. The dentist, on the other hand, already has his reasons. $$$.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Mine was no big deal at all. Hardest part was the stupid blocks that hold your mouth open for the hour it takes.

Now the wisdom tooth I am scheduled to have removed in Jan. is not something I am looking forward too.

crazycoffey
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM

****ing awesome.

yeah, and it's like three different shots too, sucks.

Plus you're awake, trying to keep your mouth open for four hours, while you are choking on spit, dental tools, rubber gloves and some hairy dentist's arm hair.

It's really fun when he's drilling down to the root and then the stabbing pain hits because you need more numbing drugs down there. That's what happened to me, it SUCKED!!! Dentist was like "are you sure it hurts?"

StcChief
12-02-2008, 08:54 PM
just don't get a dry socket.

boogblaster
12-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Im a little drunk .. did you post you're gettin to put your root in a camel ... awesome try not to break its neck when you bend its head around for a goodnite kiss ...

TrickyNicky
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Strange that this topic came up now. I have a friend who has HORRIBLE teeth and his periodontist told him that he has to have ALL of them pulled this Thursday. He has a terrible gum disease and is in danger of heart disease or worst yet, a heart attack.
Think about it... he will have 28 teeth pulled at one time! The guy who is pulling them told him that all 28 will be sitting in a tray in less than 5 minutes!!!
Can you imagine the sounds... the pain.... the shock of looking in your mouth immediately after that happens????? :eek:
My friend is going to his favorite buffet tomorrow night and gorging himself before the big event on Thursday. He is sweating bullets right now. :(

Good god. That poor bastard.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
My gf went to the dentist today and was clean, but he said she needed her wisdom teeth taken out. 2nd time in 6 months she's gone and he said the same. She has no pain either. 2 years ago my dentist told me i needed mine out immediatly and i have yet to feel a damn thing back there, makes me wonder if its all about the $$$...

I will tell her to wait till she feels pain, he told her it was rubbing against her back teeth or something, yet she feels fine

jjchieffan
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Man, and I thought my Christmas was ruined! I was planning on buying a big plasma on Black Friday. I got home on wednesday to my wife telling me the washer was about to quit and we NEEDED to buy the washer dryer set that was on sale at Sears. But I guess a washer is better than a root canal. Sucks to be you. Seriously though, have have a couple. Just be sure you get it capped afterwards. I didn't get a cap, and later had to have the tooth pulled. That is far worse imho.

tooge
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
You guys crack me up. Root canals are not bad unless you are a puss. I've had 2 and done thousands and get the same response EVERY time. "that's it, that is what all the fuss is about". If it really is tooth #32, then get it taken out instead, that is a wisdom tooth and not one worth doing a root canal and then a crown on. Finally, about the wisdom teeth. If your jaw doesn't have room for them, then there is a very good chance that at some point in your life you will have an infection or cyst develop there. The older you get, the harder they become to take out (more dense) and the harder the recovery. I isn;t about the money at all. IN fact, the dentist probably would send you to the oral surgeon anyhow. Keep puttin it off though and it can get nasty. Sorry

Fish
12-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Ask Santa for Vicodin.....

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7619/dentist2hh5.jpg

Dartgod
12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
just follow your dentists instructions to the letter or you'll end up with a dry socket which will make the root canal 5 times worse.

just don't get a dry socket.
You can get dry socket from a root canal? I thought you could only get those from having a tooth extracted.

I've had two root canals and both were a piece of cake. My dentist said that they are usually bad when they do them without clearing up the abscess before performing the procedure. One of mine was because of an abscess, but he put me on antibiotics for a week before he did it. No pain at all other than the initial injection of Novocain.

OnTheWarpath58
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
You guys crack me up. Root canals are not bad unless you are a puss. I've had 2 and done thousands and get the same response EVERY time. "that's it, that is what all the fuss is about". If it really is tooth #32, then get it taken out instead, that is a wisdom tooth and not one worth doing a root canal and then a crown on. Finally, about the wisdom teeth. If your jaw doesn't have room for them, then there is a very good chance that at some point in your life you will have an infection or cyst develop there. The older you get, the harder they become to take out (more dense) and the harder the recovery. I isn;t about the money at all. IN fact, the dentist probably would send you to the oral surgeon anyhow. Keep puttin it off though and it can get nasty. Sorry

I was hoping you'd chime in...

I've already had 4 wisdom teeth cut out, back when I was 18.

I'm almost positive he said tooth #32. I asked about pulling it, and he said something about the molar above it would want to drop, as there would be nothing to support it. (apparently teeth need teeth opposite them to keep from gradually moving around)

You said basically the same thing he said, that it really is a piece of cake.

Said it would only take about an hour, and that once I get the shot, it will seem like nothing more than having a cavity filled.

So, after hearing all the horror stories I've heard in the past, I'm not sure WTF to believe...

kepp
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM

If you're not having any trouble with them, then don't do it. Or at least get a 2nd opinion on it. I went to the dentist this past year and he told me I needed all kinds of work done. I went to a different guy and he said I didn't need anything. Some of those guys are just out to line their pockets.

Pestilence
12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Just make sure he kills the root before he goes in. The dentist didn't deaden all of my root before he started drilling it out. Yeah....not so fun.

alpha_omega
12-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I have had a couple of them....not a big deal IMO. In fact, pretty routine.

MOhillbilly
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
smashed the majority of my front teeth out back in 86. what was left had the nerves sticking out. so after i get em all fixed up the top front two nerves go bad or whatnot. root canals go as planed, no biggie.

then about 3-4 years later i get this crazy ****in pain in the gum, the kind that keeps you up.not the rockin kind though.
sure as shit the doc didnt get all the nerve out and they had to do some real surgery. the best part is after that the tooth went dead and then kinda black.

ya!

alittle run down on what to expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2f2d81g6I

Old Dog
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I've had two. One front top and one in teh same area you're talking about. Top front one was the worst, but still not as bad as I had imagined (I'm the world's biggest p*ssy in the dentists chair too). Was sore for a few days. The other was no problems at all (initial novocaine injections are no worse than any normal filling). Dude put a bite block in my mouth and I actually fell asleep. Wasn't even sore the next day. He did show me X-rays where he had been doing the procedure and had actually broken a bit off in one of the roots so it's still in there now (two years later).

In short, like someone else said, "As long as you have a good dentist, you 've nothing to worry about".

Dartgod
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Dude put a bite block in my mouth and I actually fell asleep.
I did this as well on my first one.

OnTheWarpath58
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I've had two. One front top and one in teh same area you're talking about. Top front one was the worst, but still not as bad as I had imagined (I'm the world's biggest p*ssy in the dentists chair too). Was sore for a few days. The other was no problems at all (initial novocaine injections are no worse than any normal filling). Dude put a bite block in my mouth and I actually fell asleep. Wasn't even sore the next day. He did show me X-rays where he had been doing the procedure and had actually broken a bit off in one of the roots so it's still in there now (two years later).

In short, like someone else said, "As long as you have a good dentist, you 've nothing to worry about".

How in the hell did it not get infected?

Old Dog
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't know how/why it has never caused me any problems though (knocking on wood now).
I do know that he made several phone calls to other endodontists (I know this only because I completely trust the guy. I played softball with him for four years) wondering WTF to do about it.
He said he'd never had it happen before.

tooge
12-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Correct, cant get a dry socket in a root canal, that is an extraction thing, and very rare except in wisdom teeth. Also correct, in that the upper tooth will tend to drop down, rendering it useless, so you end up ultimately losing 2 teeth. Finally, your teeth are like most other parts of the body in that they work in accordance with each other for optimal function. If you lose one, then the teeth around it end up being subjected to more external forces than they are designed to handle and ultimately they will fail faster than they would if you hadn't lost the first one, and so on and so on. Keep your teeth whenever possible. When you are 80 years old and all you have to enjoy is sitting down and eating, you will be happy you did.

Dartgod
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Correct, cant get a dry socket in a root canal, that is an extraction thing, and very rare except in wisdom teeth. Also correct, in that the upper tooth will tend to drop down, rendering it useless, so you end up ultimately losing 2 teeth. Finally, your teeth are like most other parts of the body in that they work in accordance with each other for optimal function. If you lose one, then the teeth around it end up being subjected to more external forces than they are designed to handle and ultimately they will fail faster than they would if you hadn't lost the first one, and so on and so on. Keep your teeth whenever possible. When you are 80 years old and all you have to enjoy is sitting down and eating, you will be happy you did.
My dad has had a couple or so teeth removed instead of going the root canal/crown route and now he has a gap between his two front teeth that would make Michael Strahan go, "DAYUM!"

tooge
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
true story. I had a gal ask me if I could remove her " upper and lower 6 teefs to make a love groove" I guess her man was gettin out of the hoosegow in a few weeks or something like that. I declined.

OnTheWarpath58
12-03-2008, 04:05 PM
true story. I had a gal ask me if I could remove her " upper and lower 6 teefs to make a love groove" I guess her man was gettin out of the hoosegow in a few weeks or something like that. I declined.

ROFL

So...

How do I know if I actually NEED this, or if this guy is just trying to make a few extra bucks in a shitty economy?

I really don't have the extra cash to run all over town getting extra opinions.

He did say that I have a cavity on the "face" of the tooth - I'm assuming he means the outside of the tooth - and that he's surprised I'm not bothered by it.

luv
12-03-2008, 08:20 PM

What if the two you're getting pulled are the back molar on top and the back molar on bottom? I have to get the top one pulled. It broke, and there's not enough left to save it. I need a root canal in the one located below it on the bottom. My dentist gave me the option of pulling it, too. I keep checking it out in the mirror, and neither of these teeth show up when I smile. Along with these two, I am getting a wisdom tooth removed next to the one on the bottom. After insurance, the difference in getting all three extracted and getting the two extracted with a root canal and crown for the other one is $118 and $830. I'm still thinking it over, but I'm leaning towards just having them all removed (this would be teeth 2, 31, and 32, I believe). What would you recommend?

chasedude
12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hope your Dentist isn't this guy!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/ultimateflash/little-shop-of-horrors.jpg

KChiefsQT
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Boobies!!!:drool:

DeezNutz
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM

A love groove? LMAO