PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Suspends Six players for rest of the regular season.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
NFL suspended Deuce McAllister, Saints DE Charles Grant, Saints DE Will Smith, Vikings DT Kevin Williams, Vikings DT Pat Williams, and Texans LS Brian Pittman for the final four games of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Good thing Deuce already set the franchise record for scores because his NFL career may sadly be over. Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush will continue to carry the load for New Orleans. The news primarily effects opposing rushers of Minnesota: Kevin Smith, Tim Hightower, and Michael Turner the next three weeks. Hugely upgrade their matchups. Dec. 2 - 5:09 pm et

Per rotoworld

The Vikings are hurting...

Rausch
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow.

Honestly, I'm let down by the Deuce. I've followed his whole career since the argument was James/McAlister on draft day.

He was always class. Shock and fucking disappointment there...

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Alright, come on Detroit win against those fuckers

MagicHef
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm glad they got the long snapper. That certainly would have been a competitive advantage.

Rausch
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
You can NOT afford to drop a Deuce in week 14....

Buck
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Goodbye Minnesota...

Deberg_1990
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I've followed his whole career since the argument was James/McAlister on draft day.

Do you mean Tomlinson/McCallister??

Deuce came out two years after James in 01:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NFL_Draft

Rausch
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Do you mean Tomlinson/McCallister??

Deuce came out two years after James in 01:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NFL_Draft

Yep.

I drafted James, Tomlinson, McCalister, Dayne, and Eddie George in my old FFL.

Back before I had me some grey chest hair and...well...hair...

Shaid
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Can't they just appeal and still play? I remember Roidman did that a few years ago.

MIAdragon
12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow.

Honestly, I'm let down by the Deuce. I've followed his whole career since the argument was James/McAlister on draft day.

He was always class. Shock and ****ing disappointment there...

Wasnít he supposedly taking weight control pills or something?

Rausch
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Wasnít he supposedly taking weight control pills or something?

Water pills.

My grandfather took them after a tripple bypass.

Apparently they make the body/muscles retain water and hold weight...

CrazyPhuD
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL will never get enforced....there will be a legal challenge and a stay issued before the end of the week.

Count Zarth
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Alright, come on Detroit win against those fuckers

God, wouldn't that be nice?

ExtremeChief
12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Guess I'll start Jets defense instead of Minnesota next week...

kcchiefsus
12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Can't they just appeal and still play? I remember Roidman did that a few years ago.

They already appealed and they just lost their appeal. But I read on rotoworld that they might take it to the courts now so that could still extend this further.

kcchiefsus
12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
LOL will never get enforced....there will be a legal challenge and a stay issued before the end of the week.

What do you mean it will never get enforced? A legal challenge will just delay the inevitable unless of course they actually have evidence that points against them having used the substances they tested positive for. They likely will pursue a legal challenge but like I said, it is only delaying the inevitable.

Mecca
12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Get me my damn steroids.

Chiefnj2
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
What do you mean it will never get enforced? A legal challenge will just delay the inevitable unless of course they actually have evidence that points against them having used the substances they tested positive for. They likely will pursue a legal challenge but like I said, it is only delaying the inevitable.

They took a diet pill that unbeknown to them contained not steroids, but a banned masking agent. Someone representing some of the players is alleging that a few higher ups in the NFL knew the pills contained the agent but never disclosed it to the players/teams. It's rumored they are looking for a friendly court in Louisiana to seek a temporary injunction that would allow them to keep playing for the time being. They have also filed a class action suit against the pill maker for not disclosing the ingredient.

luv
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Football players taking diet pills?

MahiMike
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
You can NOT afford to drop a Deuce in week 14....

:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
If Detroit wins the Minnesota game, and we finish 2-14 because of that Raider game....God fuck.

Brock
12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
If Detroit wins the Minnesota game, and we finish 2-14 because of that Raider game....God ****.

Let it go, it's over.

jjchieffan
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I heard them discussing this on Sirius NFL network. They say that the league issues a list of banned substances every year, and that the product they got busted for has been on that list since 2006. If that is the case, they are all screwed.

Count Zarth
12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
If Detroit wins the Minnesota game, and we finish 2-14 because of that Raider game....God fuck.

I wonder what the tie breaker would have been...

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Their's also the Saints game that Detroit can win.

Guru
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Alright, come on Detroit win against those ****ersUhhh, we need them to win two games now. Ain't happening.

notorious
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I wonder what the tie breaker would have been...

Remember last year? We got F***** on the tie breaker, which would have probably happened again.

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Uhhh, we need them to win two games now. Ain't happening.

Saints and Vikings are in their remaining schedule

Brock
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Their's also the Saints game that Detroit can win.

You guys are smoking crack. Detroit isn't going to win a game, much less against 2 fairly good teams like those.

Joe Seahawk
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I have Plaxico Burress and the Vikings defense on my fantasy team.. :rolleyes:

LiL stumppy
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow.

He was always class. Shock and fucking disappointment there...

Nearly athlete has or will take some type of "booster" to help their career. He is not the only one, just one of the few that got caught.

boogblaster
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
The trainer said they were aspirin ...

StcChief
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Vikings D is now a bust.

jjchieffan
12-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I bet JA doesn't have anymore 3 sack games this season. Hell, he may not even get 3 more sacks the rest of the season with no inside push.

Ebolapox
12-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Yep.

I drafted James, Tomlinson, McCalister, Dayne, and Eddie George in my old FFL.

Back before I had me some grey chest hair and...well...hair...

james? jog my memory, please. I can't recall a good RB with the last name of james off the top of my head.

Ebolapox
12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I bet JA doesn't have anymore 3 sack games this season. Hell, he may not even get 3 more sacks the rest of the season with no inside push.

shit, he did here.

orange
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
james? jog my memory, please. I can't recall a good RB with the last name of james off the top of my head.

There was Craig James - but that was a long time ago.

[edit] The Edge.

Ebolapox
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
There was Craig James - but that was a long time ago.

yeah, he came to mind. but he was WAY before the days of fantasy football.

Ebolapox
12-02-2008, 11:47 PM
maybe he's going by first name--james stewart?

shit. edgerrin james. that's the one.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 12:47 AM
You know what thinking about this is funny....ok so these guys are suspended for water pills...

Matt Light ripped off Channing Crowders helmet and punched him in the head and got..nothing..somehow Crowder was ejected and fined for basically backing away..that makes some sense.

You know what I love more, how Nick Kaczur had 200 oxy cotin pills but nothing happened to him and these guys are suspended for water pills...

Maybe Vince Wilforks wife can send them some tapes.

Chiefnj2
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
This is getting interesting:

Judge issues temporary restraining order, blocking suspensions
NFL.com Wire Reports

A Minneapolis judge issued a temporary restraining order on the behalf of Minnesota Vikings' Kevin and Pat Williams on Wednesday, blocking the NFL's four-game suspension of the defensive tackles for violating the league's anti-doping policy.

The status of the players for Sunday's game in Detroit is uncertain.

Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson issued the temporary restraining order at the players' request, saying he wanted more time to hear arguments in the case. No further hearing date immediately was set.

On Tuesday, the Williamses, who aren't related, were among six players suspended four games each by the NFL. All six were punished for using a diuretic that can serve as a masking agent for steroids.

They have argued that the substance containing the diuretic Bumetanide didn't list all its ingredients, and that league scientists and lawyers had information about the substance but withheld it from players.

The NFL issued a statement Wednesday stating the lawsuit held no merit and the league will seek to have the order reversed.

"The NFL Policy on Steroids and Related Substances is a collectively bargained program between the league and the NFL Players Association," said league spokesman Greg Aiello. "The program and the Collective Bargaining Agreement expressly bar precisely this kind of lawsuit. All of the steroid program's rules and procedures are established in agreement with the players' union. In other words, the players have agreed to the rules and the procedures that they are now challenging."

Larson said he would make himself available to reconsider the issue "as quickly as you'd like me to hear it." He also said he expected lawyers for the NFL, who participated in the hearing by phone, would take the issue to federal court in Minneapolis to get the suspensions reinstated.

"This is one of the more difficult cases I've had in 23 years," Larson said before signing the order. "If I make a mistake, I've got to decide on a temporary basis which side I'm able to make the mistake on."

Both Kevin and Pat Williams sat in the courtroom with their lawyers for Wednesday's hearing, which lasted more than two hours. Both declined comment afterward.

Their attorney, Peter Ginsberg, didn't claim victory, instead saying, "It's a long hard road. It's going to take a long time for them to reclaim their reputations."

A message left by The Associated Press seeking reaction from the Vikings was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Dan Nash, an attorney for the NFL, told Larson before he issued the order that granting it would be unprecedented and create a sideshow, disrupting the Vikings team and sending a message to other suspended players that they could file similar lawsuits.

"This program (governing banned substances) would be thrown into disarray," Nash said.

But Ginsberg said his clients' case is unique and they should be given the benefit of the doubt and continue playing until the issues are fully addressed in court.

The other players suspended by the league were running back Deuce McAllister and defensive linemen Charles Grant and Will Smith of New Orleans, along with long snapper Bryan Pittman of Houston.

A seventh player, Atlanta's Grady Jackson, was not suspended. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Jeff Pash, the league's chief counsel, had asked for additional information regarding his appeal. The Falcons expect to have Jackson available on Sunday.