PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Classic Whitlock column: WE'RE GOING 16-0

BigRock
12-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you've never seen it, here you go.

I believe this was scanned straight from an old newspaper, so the text was a little choppy in parts since that kind of thing isn't always accurate. I tried to fix the bad parts, but in case there's any weird or glaring errors, you know why.

It's not really a funny column except for how wrong it ended up being. And that's more sad than funny. If anything, it's just a cool look back at DT.

OK, I’m coming down from my Chester McGlockton high. The Chiefs aren’t going to shut out all of their opponents. Dale Carter and James Hasty won’t intercept every pass. Derrick Thomas and Leslie O’Neal won’t beat the quarterback to the pocket on every play.

But perfection – a 16-0 regular season – is a real possibility.

I’ve been saying that to people ever since the Chiefs signed McGlockton, the Notorious D.F.T. (defensive tackle). He loves it when you call him Big Whoppa.

But everyone looks at me strangely or walks away laughing when I mention 16-0.

Everyone except Thomas, the Chiefs’ Pro Bowl pass rusher.

“I’m realistically looking at 16-0,” Thomas said Monday. “There’s no reason why we can’t be 16-0. Witht his kind of lineup, you’ve got to look at that. You can’t look any other way.”

I caught up with Thomas on Monday afternoon at the Lucile H. Bluford Library on 31st and Prospect.

Thomas had handed over a check to the Kansas City Public Library for more than $61,000 to repay the delinquent fines of kids across Kansas City. Thomas plans to raise another $58,000 by selling a limited edition football that commemorates his 100th NFL sack. Fifty-eight footballs signed by Thomas and Denver quarterback John Elway, whom Thomas sacked for No. 100, will be sold for $1000 each. The money will be used to buy children’s books for the libraries.

D.T. deserves mad props and much love for keepin’ it real and sprinklin’ the Benjis in the hoody (ask your kid to decipher that sentence). He’s not the only Chief to give back to the community, but he might be the most consistent giver.

Anyway, leave it up to a sports writer such as yours truly to show up at a charity function and start talking football. But the additions of McGlockton, Derrick Alexander, and O’Neal have made me fantasize about covering a team that will go down in history.

The Chiefs were 13-3 and had the league’s best defense last year despite an inexperienced team and several weaknesses. What should we expect now that the personnel of the team has improved so obviously?

“When you come with most of the talent, you can say we should be 12-4, 11-5,” Thomas said. “But when you’ve got all the talent, there’s no reason you can’t say 16-0. I know that back in the day the Dolphins said they could win ‘em all.”

The 1972 Dolphins are the only NFL team to complete the regular season undefeated. They went on and won the Super Bowl, finishing the season 17-0. The 1985 Bears finished the regular season 15-1, losing only to the Dolphins. The Bears also won the Super Bowl.

The Dolphins and Bears were led by extraordinary defenses. The Chiefs have an extraordinary defense.

“On paper we do,” Thomas said. “But paper doesn’t mean anything. You have to avoid injury and all that other stuff to end up on top. But if I had to put a defense on paper, it would be ours.”

It’s a defense so good that McGlockton said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs shut out half of their opponents.

“That’s realistic,” Thomas said. “Last season we went 10 games without giving up a touchdown in the second half.”

That was an NFL record. Thomas has another NFL record in mind for this season. He wants to top Mark Gastineau’s sack record of 22 in a season.

“You can’t look at any other goal than establishing a new mark in the league,” Thomas said. “Gastineau’s mark has stood for many, many years. When he got it, there were other factors in the game that aren’t in the game now. Everybody lined up in the shotgun back then. People used to drop back and throw the ball deep back then. Now, they’ve gone to the West Coast form of passing, and it’s all quick stuff and timing.”

“But this line up we have should even out the playing field.”

And could lay out all 16 Chiefs opponents.

DMAC
12-03-2008, 07:30 AM
The beginning of the end.

oldandslow
12-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I actually remember reading that at the time...

In hindsight, Chester donut was the snowball that caused the avalanche. It's Karma for Marcus Allen.

Deberg_1990
12-03-2008, 08:10 AM
If i remember right, we did start off 4-0 that year....

Didnt it all come apart with the New England game that year? The one where JWhit flipped the bird to some Pats fans?

Bowser
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
If i remember right, we did start off 4-0 that year....

Didnt it all come apart with the New England game that year? The one where JWhit flipped the bird to some Pats fans?

No, he made a big sign saying Bledsoe was gay, and was showing it to all the fans.

Bowser
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
And really, back then, you could argue we were the best team "on paper", but we all saw what that can get you.

Buck
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
lol, what year was this?

Agent V
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Whitlock used to be such a happy man.

Bowser
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
lol, what year was this?

DeezNutz
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
No, he made a big sign saying Bledsoe was gay, and was showing it to all the fans.

So that's what almost got him fired from the Star, huh? Given his job, it's amazing that he could have thought making a sign like that would be ok in any sense...

Buck
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
This reminds me of my co-worker who kept saying we were going to go 16-0 when the Chargers schedule came out this year.

I told him he was and idiot.