PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Barry Richardson : Whats wrong with this guy ?

royr17
12-03-2008, 09:15 AM
What is wrong with Barry Richardson, he hasnt seen the field at all this year has he ?

This guy was once regarded as to being a high first round pick, what the hell happened to him ?

Deberg_1990
12-03-2008, 09:19 AM
A High First Round pick?? ROFL

|Zach|
12-03-2008, 09:20 AM
What?

royr17
Yea his junior year of college, he was considered to be a first round pick.

milkman
He's buried on the bench behind future HoFer Damion McIntosh.

evolve27
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
He's buried on the bench behind future HoFer Damion McIntosh.

McGinatosh is #77, what a shame to Roaf.

ChiefsCountry
12-03-2008, 09:26 AM
He is a fucking rookie who needs work. Damn people have some patience.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
What's wrong with him?

This is a left tackle at Clemson, a highly profiled football program, that slipped to the 6th round. Hell, if the Chiefs didn't draft him, he may not have been drafted at all.

I will never understand the hype surrounding this kid. This was a very heavily scouted player who most scouts agreed was not good enough to warrant a decent draft pick. It's not like a diamond in the rough like, say, a Herb Taylor or Tyler Thigpen who might disappear during the scouting process.

Richardson's slow. He regressed big time from his junior to senior year. And there were enormous question marks surrounding his motivation and love for the game. There's a reason the Chiefs immediately shifted Taylor to backup RT and moved Richardson to 3rd string--it's because he's not very good. God help us if this is the guy we want to rest our future on.

We need to see if Taylor's got what it takes to be a great RT. I'm not sure that's the best position for him. Either way, the Chiefs need to bring in some help.

milkman
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
What's wrong with him?

This is a left tackle at Clemson, a highly profiled football program, that slipped to the 6th round. Hell, if the Chiefs didn't draft him, he may not have been drafted at all.

I will never understand the hype surrounding this kid. This was a very heavily scouted player who most scouts agreed was not good enough to warrant a decent draft pick. It's not like a diamond in the rough like, say, a Herb Taylor or Tyler Thigpen who might disappear during the scouting process.

Richardson's slow. He regressed big time from his junior to senior year. And there were enormous question marks surrounding his motivation and love for the game. There's a reason the Chiefs immediately shifted Taylor to backup RT and moved Richardson to 3rd string--it's because he's not very good. God help us if this is the guy we want to rest our future on.

We need to see if Taylor's got what it takes to be a great RT. I'm not sure that's the best position for him. Either way, the Chiefs need to bring in some help. Jordan Gross sounds nice.

I just said this elsewhere, but Jordan Gross is going to demand LT money, and the Chiefs would be stupid to persue him in free agency.

royr17
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Well I dont know, but please I pray that our starting RT next year is not McIntosh. He has been a horrible acquisition, its no wonder why the Dolphins didnt resign him.

royr17
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
What about Vernon Carey is he any good ?

beach tribe
12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I just said this elsewhere, but Jordan Gross is going to demand LT money, and the Chiefs would be stupid to persue him in free agency.

Yep, and they will slide wasisname (Williams ? I forget)over to the left. I say this because zilla was argueing that the panthers took a RT in the 1st, but that's not true. They took a future LT. Only the Panthers look a little farther ahead than he does.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
What about Vernon Carey is he any good ?

No.

Micjones
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Richardson needs work, but hopefully he can get himself into the mix come next season.

suds79
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe this is possible or maybe it's not but if Richardson is a little on the slow side, which probably isn't a stretch at his size and/or talent, why not move him to RG? He has the build for it, there's less room to cover, and you'd figure he'd be good and mauling guys in the run game.

IMO both our O & D lines lack some size for my taste. I'm amazed when I see the draft ever year the size of O-linemen coming out now a days (6'5 and at least 320+ is common place). I'd hate to see us fall behind.

Micjones
12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Maybe this is possible or maybe it's not but if Richardson is a little on the slow side, which probably isn't a stretch at his size and/or talent, why not move him to RG? He has the build for it, there's less room to cover, and you'd figure he'd be good and mauling guys in the run game.

IMO both our O & D lines lack some size for my taste. I'm amazed when I see the draft ever year the size of O-linemen coming out now a days (6'5 and at least 320+ is common place). I'd hate to see us fall behind.

I was thinking along the same lines.
He should placed behind Niswanger at Right Guard, on the depth chart, next year.

blueballs
12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
has the hair on your ass been singed
dammit carl

milkman
12-03-2008, 11:29 AM
What's wrong with him?

We need to see if Taylor's got what it takes to be a great RT. I'm not sure that's the best position for him. Either way, the Chiefs need to bring in some help.

The skinny on Richardson is that he moved well, had surprising mobility and athleticism for a man his size, but that he lacked motivation.

Having seen him play at Clemson, I would say that he is not only quick enough to play RT, he has the size and athleticism to be a dominating RT.

His problems all stem from the fact that he doesn't have the passion for the game that you would hope for so he lacks motivation.

If you could get him motivated, you'd have monster RT that could pass protect very effectively, and simply maul as a run blocker.

Chiefnj2
12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
The Chiefs aren't very good at coaching up good to average players.

milkman
12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Yep, and they will slide wasisname (Williams ? I forget)over to the left. I say this because zilla was argueing that the panthers took a RT in the 1st, but that's not true. They took a future LT. Only the Panthers look a little farther ahead than he does.

Jeff Otah.

If I were the Panthers, I'd would make every effort to re-sign Gross, because I don't think that Otah has what it takes to be a good LT.

Short Leash Hootie
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm ok with overpaying a player or two...

Pitt Gorilla
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
As I mentioned prior to the draft, KC could/should have had Brandon Keith, who is backing up both tackle spots for Arizona. I think he was a 7th round pick.

milkman
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm ok with overpaying a player or two...

So am I, for the right players in the right positions.

RT is not one of those positions.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
The Chiefs aren't very good at coaching up good to average players.

You can't coach up guys that don't want to play

BigCatDaddy
12-03-2008, 12:26 PM

They have no intention of moving him over to RT. The wanted to lock up Gross, but ended up having to franchise him when a deal couldn't be reached.

Short Leash Hootie
12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
So am I, for the right players in the right positions.

RT is not one of those positions.
Yeah, probably...but I wouldn't mind having something comparable to Roaf/Waters/Weigmann/Shields/Tait again =)

CupidStunt
12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Slow-footed oaf.

kcchiefsus
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah, and any other player that could significantly improve this team is going to demand alot of money as well. But let's just sit on top of $30 million in cap room.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, and any other player that could significantly improve this team is going to demand alot of money as well. But let's just sit on top of $30 million in cap room.

Julius Peppers
Albert Haynesworth
Karlos Dansby
Jonathan Vilma
Mark Colombo

These are players I would overpay for to bring in KC. Peppers can be had for a huge contract. Haynesworth is a longshot. I see no reason why we couldn't get Dansby or Vilma or both. And I see no reason why we couldn't get a guy like Colombo.

If this team commits to spending cash, imagine what that does for the draft. If you bring in a guy like Peppers, you don't have to panic about reaching for a DE in the draft. If you bring in a guy like Vilma to be MLB, you don't have to worry about a guy like Maualuga or Laurainitis.

Free agency is a great way for us to limit the amount of dire needs we have in the draft.

Problem is, Carl Peterson will probably look at all these guys and then lowball the hell out of them. That's how he rolls.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
The goal isn't to win next year.

Why is this so hard to understand? It's not like anyone is asking you to build a fucking Calutron.

HemiEd
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
The goal isn't to win next year.

Why is this so hard to understand? It's not like anyone is asking you to build a ****ing Calutron.

Speak for yourself n00b! I am sick of this losing shit, already.

ChiefsCountry
12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Speak for yourself n00b! I am sick of this losing shit, already.

:shake:

HemiEd
12-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Don't shake your head at me, I didn't call you a n00b!

Ultra Peanut
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
McGinatosh is #77, what a shame to Roaf.They knew they couldn't replace him, so they didn't even try.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Julius Peppers
Albert Haynesworth - No
Karlos Dansby - No
Jonathan Vilma - Maybe
Mark Colombo - Absolutely NO

Colombo? He's 30 right now and will be 31 going into next season. Why??

Draft a RT. JFC.

Peppers? He'll be 29 next season. Again, why?

NO to anyone on their third contract.

royr17
12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
How about :

QB J.P. Losman
OT Khalif Barnes
OG Elton Brown
OC Richie Incognito
DE Victor Adeyanju (RFA)
DT Ryan Sims (just kidding, hehe)
DT Gabe Watson
DT Jimmy Kennedy
LB Jonathan Vilma
CB Jabari Greer

Just some guys that might be available, you could pick who you wouldnt mind having.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
How about :

QB J.P. Losman
OT Khalif Barnes
OG Elton Brown
OC Richie Incognito
DE Victor Adeyanju (RFA)
DT Ryan Sims (just kidding, hehe)
DT Gabe Watson
DT Jimmy Kennedy
LB Jonathan Vilma
CB Jabari Greer

Just some guys that might be available, you could pick who you wouldnt mind having.

No to everyone but possibly Vilma.

Didn't you read the post just above yours?

The Chiefs should not sign anyone on their third contract. PERIOD.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Colombo? He's 30 right now and will be 31 going into next season. Why??

Draft a RT. JFC.

Peppers? He'll be 29 next season. Again, why?

NO to anyone on their third contract.

Colombo is a RT, a position where more and more linemen are playing up to 35.

Peppers reminds me a lot of Strahan and DE is another position where players seem to continue to creep over 30 and play at a very high level. DE is a perfect position to invest a ton of money in because 1) you can never have too many DEs; 2) it's a position where you can still get young players valuable reps, even if they're not starting. Much like the Giants groomed Tuck and Kiwanuka behind Strahan and Umenyiora. Sign Peppers to a huge deal and then draft a DE to back him up and to be groomed to be his replacement.

These are both players who could play well beyond 30. The Chiefs need to bring in some veterans. Teams have a lot more cap room these days, so you either get a young guy who's not any good or a veteran on a 3rd contract. You can't afford to be choosy about age.

I don't really see any compelling reason not to sign him, especially given the insane amount of cash they have to burn.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Colombo is a RT, a position where more and more linemen are playing up to 35.

Peppers reminds me a lot of Strahan and DE is another position where players seem to continue to creep over 30 and play at a very high level. DE is a perfect position to invest a ton of money in because 1) you can never have too many DEs; 2) it's a position where you can still get young players valuable reps, even if they're not starting. Much like the Giants groomed Tuck and Kiwanuka behind Strahan and Umenyiora. Sign Peppers to a huge deal and then draft a DE to back him up and to be groomed to be his replacement.

These are both players who could play well beyond 30. The Chiefs need to bring in some veterans. Teams have a lot more cap room these days, so you either get a young guy who's not any good or a veteran on a 3rd contract. You can't afford to be choosy about age.

I don't really see any compelling reason not to sign him, especially given the insane amount of cash they have to burn.

I absolutely disagree.

The Chiefs need to continue to build through the draft. Vilma is the only free-agent that the Chiefs should even consider.

And furthermore, NO PLAYERS ON THEIR THIRD CONTRACT.

Haven't you had ENOUGH of the stop-gap bullshit? We have that NOW with McIntosh and Jones.

ENOUGH.

Count Zarth
12-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Vilma would be on his third contract...

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Vilma would be on his third contract...

By third contract I mean players over the age of 29.

Vilma's only 26 so he doesn't qualify. He's still on his rookie contract in his fifth year.

Short Leash Hootie
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I absolutely disagree.

The Chiefs need to continue to build through the draft. Vilma is the only free-agent that the Chiefs should even consider.

And furthermore, NO PLAYERS ON THEIR THIRD CONTRACT.

Haven't you had ENOUGH of the stop-gap bullshit? We have that NOW with McIntosh and Jones.

ENOUGH.

We have to bring in free agents this year...plain and simple...and ones that are established NFL players.

We can build the right side of our line through free agency and use our draft picks on defense.

Short Leash Hootie
12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
and what's the difference between an injury riddled 26 year old Vilma and a 29 year old Julius Peppers? I bet Peppers is in the NFL longer than Vilma.

Peppers is a pipe dream, but Vilma is vastly overrated.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
and what's the difference between an injury riddled 26 year old Vilma and a 29 year old Julius Peppers? I bet Peppers is in the NFL longer than Vilma.

Peppers is a pipe dream, but Vilma is vastly overrated.

Agreed on Vilma, but Peppers disappeared before hitting his "contract year".

Fuck him.

And we are going to suck next year. There's no point in signing FA's when you are going to chug cock anyway. Stick to the draft.

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
That's a risk you have to take. Rarely do players of Peppers' calibre hit the open market. Most free agents who hit the open market are flawed in one respect. Peppers is an extremely, extremely rare breed of DEs who is outstanding at all 3 elements of the game: rushing the passer, stopping the run, and dropping into coverage. It is tough to find DEs who do one of those things, it is very difficult to find DEs who do two, it is extremely, extremely difficult to find DEs who can do all three.

This is a chance worth taking. 1) Peppers had only one lousy season out of a pretty good career. 2) he turned his career around because he changed his conditioning and because he moved from the left side to the right side; 3) he is a professional who typically has a very good work ethic--I'd have to think it killed him inside to know that he was playing as badly as he did in 2007.

Worst case, you blow cap money that you have a lot of and you still have a valuable depth player. Best case, you have an absolute difference maker at a very key position.

There is no move that makes better sense than to get Julius Peppers. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a real difference maker at the DE position. This move would make the Jared Allen loss completely disappear.

Agreed on Vilma, but Peppers disappeared before hitting his "contract year".

**** him.

And we are going to suck next year. There's no point in signing FA's when you are going to chug cock anyway. Stick to the draft.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
We have to bring in free agents this year...plain and simple...and ones that are established NFL players.

We can build the right side of our line through free agency and use our draft picks on defense.

No, "we" don't.

The Chiefs aren't going to win in 2009 and there's no reason to bring in any high priced free-agents.

Build through the draft.

Count Zarth
12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
No, "we" don't.

The Chiefs aren't going to win in 2009 and there's no reason to bring in any high priced free-agents.

Build through the draft.

You don't see it as absolutely imperative to Herm's job security that he field a winning team next year?

ChiefsCountry
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
The only player I would throw big money at and see if it sticks is Suggs. He is young enough (26) to be the franchise for a while. Other than I wouldnt touch it, sign some second and third tier guys like this year and hope something happens. Now 2010 is when the checkbook should start to open.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
You don't see it as absolutely imperative to Herm's job security that he field a winning team next year?

Nope.

If the Chiefs go 7-9 next year with more than 75% of the players in their first four years, Herm is definitely safe.

If the Chiefs win 4 games next year, he's a goner.

Mecca
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think there's anyway they can win 7...you know the AFC West plays the NFC East next year right.

Direckshun
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
The only player I would throw big money at and see if it sticks is Suggs.

Absolutely. But I seriously doubt he makes it to the market.

If he does, we will definitely be outbid.

Mecca
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Absolutely. But I seriously doubt he makes it to the market.

If he does, we will definitely be outbid.

This team will have a serious problem signing any kind of premier FA, premier FA's get big offers from good teams so why would they wanna play for a bad one?

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't think there's anyway they can win 7...you know the AFC West plays the NFC East next year right.

They also play the AFC West.

I certainly think the Chiefs will have improved enough to win at least 4 games within the division. That just leaves 3 games outside of the division to go 7-9.

With a little defense, this team could be sitting at 5-7 right now.

It's definitely not impossible.