PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dear, Vikings: Thanks for our quarterback; Sincerely, Chiefs

DaKCMan AP
12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Dear, Vikings: Thanks for our quarterback; Sincerely, Chiefs

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

I heard someone last week ask if there were any way the Minnesota Vikings could repay Kansas City for dropping star defensive end Jared Allen on their doorstep, and, yes, I said, there is. In fact, they've already done it.

Meet Tyler Thigpen.

He's the Chiefs' quarterback for now and maybe the future, but he wouldn't be in Kansas City if the Vikings hadn't cut him loose a year ago to make room for a reserve tight end.

The move was a gamble, and Minnesota knew it, but it figured it could re-sign Thigpen -- chosen by the Vikings in the seventh round of the 2007 draft -- to its practice squad after he cleared waivers.

Only he didn't clear. Kansas City claimed him.

Now he's playing so well that Chiefs coach Herman Edwards confessed he's considering scrapping the Chiefs' run-heavy offense next season and going with what works for Tyler Thigpen -- a more spread-out, wide-open, two-minute approach that usually has Thigpen operating out of the shotgun.

That can't be good news for someone like running back Larry Johnson, but it is for Thigpen. It means someone has a conviction about the guy, and that someone is Edwards -- with the coach considering a change next season from his offenses of the past just to suit his young quarterback.

If that happens, it means Edwards believes in Thigpen as his future starter. But he isn't there yet, and he emphasized that when I reached him Wednesday.

"We've got four games left," he said. "Let's see what he does. But one thing I do know: He's a No. 2. There is no doubt about that. That we know."

Others within the Kansas City hierarchy admit "cautious optimism" about Thigpen, who produced his first victory last weekend and who has played well for one of the league's bottom feeders. In fact, in a recent four-game stretch, he threw eight touchdown passes and one interception and took, in order, the Jets, Tampa Bay and San Diego to the mat, with all three games decided in the closing seconds.

Now, let's make something clear: Tyler Thigpen is not the next Eli or Peyton Manning. But he is a pleasant discovery in a not-so-pleasant season in Kansas City, and the Chiefs can address those "thank you" notes to 9520 Viking Drive, Eden Prairie, Minn. They wouldn't have Thigpen were it not for the Vikings' gamble.

The common perception is that Kansas City discovered Thigpen when the Chiefs and Vikings held a preseason scrimmage, but Edwards shot down that idea, saying Thigpen didn't play "that much" when the two teams practiced against each other. Instead, he said, Thigpen appeared on the Kansas City radar when he was a star quarterback at Coastal Carolina, with the Chiefs rating him a low fifth- or high sixth-round choice.

He could run. He had a strong arm. He was accurate. He was durable. And he won. Basically, he was everything you wanted from a quarterback, with a couple of drawbacks: 1) He didn't operate in a pro offense, working instead out of the shotgun, and 2) he played at a small school against lesser competition.

Nevertheless, when the team's vice president of player personnel, Bill Kuharich, watched him that summer in the fourth quarter of an exhibition game, he noticed something he liked.

"It was just the way he handled himself and the pressure," said Kuharich. "It reinforced what I had seen on tape. (Team president) Carl (Peterson), Herm and I decided if he ever became available we would claim him."

Which, of course, they did when Minnesota stuck with Tarvaris Jackson and acquired veteran backup Kelly Holcomb. Now, Holcomb is gone, Jackson is benched and Thigpen is playing for Kansas City. Hindsight is 20-20, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the Vikings erred when they let Thigpen go.

I came to that conclusion last weekend when Thigpen led Kansas City on a 16-play, 91-yard drive that broke a 10-10 deadlock against Oakland. He completed three of four passes and ran for two first downs on that series.

I came to that conclusion again that afternoon when, on third-and-3 with just over two minutes to play, he iced the game by hitting Dwayne Bowe with a 12-yard completion.

"We've got ourselves a pretty good quarterback," said Edwards.

That's as strong a statement as you get from the head coach, but it tells you what he will not: That Tyler Thigpen could be the quarterback the Chiefs envisioned when they drafted Brodie Croyle in 2006. Croyle was supposed to be the Chiefs' quarterback of the future, but those plans have been scrapped because he can't stay healthy.

Thigpen can. He can also win, with last weekend's defeat of Oakland a breakthrough. After close calls against four opponents -- including New Orleans -- he finally demonstrated that he can close a deal, and that's what the Chiefs have been missing the past year and a half.

But that's just the beginning. They rave about Thigpen's mobility. In fact, it was the first quality Edwards ticked off when he listed his quarterback's strengths. Thigpen can throw with accuracy, too, with a string of 161 passes without an interception and a third-down passer-rating higher than those of Brett Favre and Jay Cutler. Plus, he's an outstanding athlete -- the only quarterback in Kansas City history to score a touchdown by running, passing and receiving.

"The question now," said Edwards, "is how will he continue to play and do we want to change the offense? I have to talk to (offensive coordinator) Chan Gailey, but right now I'm thinking we would.

"We changed everything to build the offense around him. It's like we're operating with a three-page notebook, adding a little with each week. Now the question is: Do we stay with this? Because it means you would have to do some things differently, like look at a little different offensive linemen."

The Chiefs have four games to produce an answer, but that they are even considering a change in their offense tells me one thing: They may have found themselves a quarterback.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11149961

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
:popcorn:

Pestilence
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Now if only our defense wasn't complete shit.

Big Chief Homer
12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Dear Chiefs, Thanks for your entire pass rush.

Vikings

58-4ever
12-04-2008, 09:40 AM
First smart thing Herm has said in a while "He's a number 2. We know that for sure."

DeezNutz
12-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I think it's great that Herm and Carl have FINALLY located a true QBOTF.

Extensions are probably in order.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

I heard someone last week ask if there were any way the Minnesota Vikings could repay Kansas City for dropping star defensive end Jared Allen on their doorstep, and, yes, I said, there is. In fact, they've already done it.

Meet Tyler Thigpen.

He's the Chiefs' quarterback for now and maybe the future, but he wouldn't be in Kansas City if the Vikings hadn't cut him loose a year ago to make room for a reserve tight end.

The move was a gamble, and Minnesota knew it, but it figured it could re-sign Thigpen -- chosen by the Vikings in the seventh round of the 2007 draft -- to its practice squad after he cleared waivers.

Only he didn't clear. Kansas City claimed him.

Now he's playing so well that Chiefs coach Herman Edwards confessed he's considering scrapping the Chiefs' run-heavy offense next season and going with what works for Tyler Thigpen -- a more spread-out, wide-open, two-minute approach that usually has Thigpen operating out of the shotgun.

That can't be good news for someone like running back Larry Johnson, but it is for Thigpen. It means someone has a conviction about the guy, and that someone is Edwards -- with the coach considering a change next season from his offenses of the past just to suit his young quarterback.

If that happens, it means Edwards believes in Thigpen as his future starter. But he isn't there yet, and he emphasized that when I reached him Wednesday.

"We've got four games left," he said. "Let's see what he does. But one thing I do know: He's a No. 2. There is no doubt about that. That we know."

Others within the Kansas City hierarchy admit "cautious optimism" about Thigpen, who produced his first victory last weekend and who has played well for one of the league's bottom feeders. In fact, in a recent four-game stretch, he threw eight touchdown passes and one interception and took, in order, the Jets, Tampa Bay and San Diego to the mat, with all three games decided in the closing seconds.

Now, let's make something clear: Tyler Thigpen is not the next Eli or Peyton Manning. But he is a pleasant discovery in a not-so-pleasant season in Kansas City, and the Chiefs can address those "thank you" notes to 9520 Viking Drive, Eden Prairie, Minn. They wouldn't have Thigpen were it not for the Vikings' gamble.

The common perception is that Kansas City discovered Thigpen when the Chiefs and Vikings held a preseason scrimmage, but Edwards shot down that idea, saying Thigpen didn't play "that much" when the two teams practiced against each other. Instead, he said, Thigpen appeared on the Kansas City radar when he was a star quarterback at Coastal Carolina, with the Chiefs rating him a low fifth- or high sixth-round choice.

He could run. He had a strong arm. He was accurate. He was durable. And he won. Basically, he was everything you wanted from a quarterback, with a couple of drawbacks: 1) He didn't operate in a pro offense, working instead out of the shotgun, and 2) he played at a small school against lesser competition.

Nevertheless, when the team's vice president of player personnel, Bill Kuharich, watched him that summer in the fourth quarter of an exhibition game, he noticed something he liked.

"It was just the way he handled himself and the pressure," said Kuharich. "It reinforced what I had seen on tape. (Team president) Carl (Peterson), Herm and I decided if he ever became available we would claim him."

Which, of course, they did when Minnesota stuck with Tarvaris Jackson and acquired veteran backup Kelly Holcomb. Now, Holcomb is gone, Jackson is benched and Thigpen is playing for Kansas City. Hindsight is 20-20, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the Vikings erred when they let Thigpen go.

I came to that conclusion last weekend when Thigpen led Kansas City on a 16-play, 91-yard drive that broke a 10-10 deadlock against Oakland. He completed three of four passes and ran for two first downs on that series.

I came to that conclusion again that afternoon when, on third-and-3 with just over two minutes to play, he iced the game by hitting Dwayne Bowe with a 12-yard completion.

"We've got ourselves a pretty good quarterback," said Edwards.

That's as strong a statement as you get from the head coach, but it tells you what he will not: That Tyler Thigpen could be the quarterback the Chiefs envisioned when they drafted Brodie Croyle in 2006. Croyle was supposed to be the Chiefs' quarterback of the future, but those plans have been scrapped because he can't stay healthy.

Thigpen can. He can also win, with last weekend's defeat of Oakland a breakthrough. After close calls against four opponents -- including New Orleans -- he finally demonstrated that he can close a deal, and that's what the Chiefs have been missing the past year and a half.

But that's just the beginning. They rave about Thigpen's mobility. In fact, it was the first quality Edwards ticked off when he listed his quarterback's strengths. Thigpen can throw with accuracy, too, with a string of 161 passes without an interception and a third-down passer-rating higher than those of Brett Favre and Jay Cutler. Plus, he's an outstanding athlete -- the only quarterback in Kansas City history to score a touchdown by running, passing and receiving.

"The question now," said Edwards, "is how will he continue to play and do we want to change the offense? I have to talk to (offensive coordinator) Chan Gailey, but right now I'm thinking we would.

"We changed everything to build the offense around him. It's like we're operating with a three-page notebook, adding a little with each week. Now the question is: Do we stay with this? Because it means you would have to do some things differently, like look at a little different offensive linemen."

The Chiefs have four games to produce an answer, but that they are even considering a change in their offense tells me one thing: They may have found themselves a quarterback.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11149961

Oh baby; that is one laundry list full of Wrong.

You can't handicap the running game by working out of the shotgun all day. I'm a fan of Thigpen, but this is just scary stupid.

Radar Chief
12-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Vikings

This.

dirk digler
12-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I like the fact that having Thigpen has forced Herm to change his offensive philosophy.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I like the fact that having Thigpen has forced Herm to change his offensive philosophy.

Yeah, but if the philosophy is a flawed pile of shit; there's nothing to be happy about.

talastan
12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Again, cautious optimism is a good place to be. However is Stafford or Bradford declare and fall to us in the draft then I could see us pulling the trigger. As for changing back the offense to Hermball, WHY? :mad:
The scoreboard shows the difference Herm! Would we really have to change our players that much? They seem to run this offense much better than Hermball RRPP.

Detoxing
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but if the philosophy is a flawed pile of shit; there's nothing to be happy about.

It works, obviously. Not only does it work for us, but it has worked for other teams in the past. Why are you complaining? If Herm says he is willing to change his offensive philosophy permanently, then that's cause for celebration

Mr. Flopnuts
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Dear Chiefs,

Thanks for the Hall of Famer.

The Vikings

Detoxing
12-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Again, cautious optimism is a good place to be. However is Stafford or Bradford declare and fall to us in the draft then I could see us pulling the trigger. As for changing back the offense to Hermball, WHY? :mad:
The scoreboard shows the difference Herm! Would we really have to change our players that much? They seem to run this offense much better than Hermball RRPP.

With Herm calling Tyler a #2, I have a good feeling that he will draft a Bradford or Stafford in the draft.

DaKCMan AP
12-04-2008, 09:55 AM

You can't handicap the running game by working out of the shotgun all day. I'm a fan of Thigpen, but this is just scary stupid.

You do realize that since we've gone spread we've rushed the ball more, gained more yards and have a higher yards per carry average?

Hog Farmer
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Shuddup Moron!

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
It works, obviously. Not only does it work for us, but it has worked for other teams in the past. Why are you complaining? If Herm says he is willing to change his offensive philosophy permanently, then that's cause for celebration

BECAUSE IT'S COMPLETE ABANDONMENT OF AN EFFECTIVE RUNNING GAME. :cuss:

God, somebody back me on this PLEASE!

If you stick with this current scheme; lining LJ or whoever up behind Thigpen in a shotgun formation, you've lost 3+ yards before the fucking ball is even snapped!

This is stupid, retarded, gay, D-D-DEE, Ass clown Offense.
If there were only ONE THING I could point to and say Herm needs to be fired; this would be the one.

the Talking Can
12-04-2008, 10:00 AM

now that is interesting stuff

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
You do realize that since we've gone spread we've rushed the ball more, gained more yards and have a higher yards per carry average?

Considering our total ground game, I wouldn't go counting that as a positive.

And if you DO, then know that those yards are coming from outside or near outside runs.

This is utter lunacy.

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
With Herm calling Tyler a #2, I have a good feeling that he will draft a Bradford or Stafford in the draft.

1) I think you're missing the implication here. He think's that Thigpen is AT LEAST a #2. Meaning, at worst, he knows he has a backup in place. He's displaying some cautious optimism that Thigpen can be the #1, and wants to see how he performs over the last 4 games before they make a decision to permanently change the offense for 2009.

2) And it's going to be hard to take a QB that is already gone (Stafford) and one that is still playing college ball. (Bradford)

DaKCMan AP
12-04-2008, 10:06 AM

And if you DO, then know that those yards are coming from outside or near outside runs.

This is utter lunacy.

You mean our total ground game that is ranked 12th in the NFL? The numbers aren't bad. Pre-spread we were averaging 4.4ypc. Since we switched to the spread we're getting 5.18ypc.

petegz28
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I may garner some shred of respect for Herm if he does change his offensive mindset to fit Thigy. That would be a step out of the play not to lose mentality I would think.

Fish
12-04-2008, 10:09 AM

If you stick with this current scheme; lining LJ or whoever up behind Thigpen in a shotgun formation, you've lost 3+ yards before the ****ing ball is even snapped!

If there were only ONE THING I could point to and say Herm needs to be fired; this would be the one.

The exact same thing was said about the West Coast Offense when teams started running it. Lots of people said "Yeah just wait till we play a real defense. Then this gimmick offense will fall apart." Well, we played some pretty good defenses, and we still had success with it. Obviously there is still some skepticism, but teams have had a chance to game plan for it, and it's still been successful.

Saying that this is the thing Herm should be fired over is straight stupid.

RedThat
12-04-2008, 10:12 AM

That could be possible. If Stafford or Bradford are the BPA when the Chiefs pick they just might pick either one?

But, I also think the Chiefs are looking at LBer as well. Moving DJ to the middle gives every indication of that.

We do know, the Chiefs hint to positions for sure:

-LB and QB

kcfanXIII
12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
why is it we can have R2P2, OR the spread? some people make it sound like those are the only two options. who's to say during the revamping of the offense, chan doesn't find some happy balance? let thigpen get a little more comfortable under center, and slowly get back to a more pro style offense. that being said, i'm wondering how this offense is going to run in december. (i'd like to see how it runs in january more, but thats not happening.)

Pestilence
12-04-2008, 10:16 AM

If you stick with this current scheme; lining LJ or whoever up behind Thigpen in a shotgun formation, you've lost 3+ yards before the fucking ball is even snapped!

Holy fucking crap dude. You probably bitched about R2P2 as well huh? Is there an offense that we can run that would make you happy?

Radar Chief
12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
The exact same thing was said about the West Coast Offense when teams started running it. Lots of people said "Yeah just wait till we play a real defense. Then this gimmick offense will fall apart." Well, we played some pretty good defenses, and we still had success with it. Obviously there is still some skepticism, but teams have had a chance to game plan for it, and it's still been successful.

Saying that this is the thing Herm should be fired over is straight stupid.

Good point. I never have understood the argument that the spread offense wonít work in the NFL. Maybe thatís because Iíve never heard, or read, a reasonable argument for why. :shrug:

kepp
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Another piece to this puzzle that needs to be looked at is how the college game is moving more and more to the spread. It may become difficult to find enough "true" pro-style players - especially QBs - after a while.

Micjones
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't think we'd necessarily have to sell the run out to adopt this offense next season.

Currently it's about a 60/40 split in favor of the pass.

I'm not looking at the numbers at the moment, but I'd imagine that we've been fairly effective running the ball since the Spread was installed.

And remember, we're not fully operational with it.
Herm said as much in the article.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Holy fucking crap dude. You probably bitched about R2P2 as well huh? Is there an offense that we can run that would make you happy?

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Prior to this thread, I thought that overall we had some really good students of the game in here.

Unbelieveable.

Micjones
12-04-2008, 10:23 AM
1) I think you're missing the implication here. He think's that Thigpen is AT LEAST a #2. Meaning, at worst, he knows he has a backup in place. He's displaying some cautious optimism that Thigpen can be the #1, and wants to see how he performs over the last 4 games before they make a decision to permanently change the offense for 2009.

Spot on.

He has a chance to play a bigger role next year, but that will depend on his numbers over the final quarter of the season.

I think if he can minimize turnovers he'll win the job.

I'm looking for something like 6-8 TD's with 1-2 picks.
I think that would do it.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Although i didnt notice it last week,

Thiggy has ran a few plays from behind center. He doesnt take 100% shotgun snaps.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Good point. I never have understood the argument that the spread offense wonít work in the NFL. Maybe thatís because Iíve never heard, or read, a reasonable argument for why. :shrug:

Time may prove me wrong, but I'm betting it won't.

Let's find out some numbers that relate to those "pretty good" defenses we've played.

Pestilence
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow. Wow wow wow.

Prior to this thread, I thought that overall we had some really good students of the game in here.

Unbelieveable.

I have never claimed to be a student of the game but your constant bitching is retarded.

TrickyNicky
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I can almost guarantee our spread is going to be dogshit without Tony catching 10 balls a game.

CoMoChief
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM

:clap:

Darth CarlSatan
I have never claimed to be a student of the game but your constant bitching is retarded.

And your bandwagon-jumpery is equaly comical. Let's keep this about the fucking game, okay Sherlock?

Darth CarlSatan
I can almost guarantee our spread is going to be dogshit without Tony catching 10 balls a game.

Excellent point.

Pestilence
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
And your bandwagon-jumpery is equaly comical. Let's keep this about the fucking game, okay Sherlock?

Band-wagon jumping? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm just happy that Herm has pulled his head out of his ass and let Thigpen run something that he can. Do I think it will work next season? I don't know. I'm not going to bash the fact that it seems to be working right now.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM

True, but sadly enough Herm isnt a forward enough thinker to maximize his talent until he is forced into doing something he didnt want to do.

Its not like Herm come out and said you know what guys? This team can not run my historically bad buttsexs offense, we need to look at this type of offense to best maximize our potential... It came out of desperation...

IF Herm was such a prodigy, then the Tampon 2 wouldnt be used, when our LB's and Safetys are blah....

kcfanXIII
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
any offense the chiefs will be running will be dogshit with out tony. especially a tony g that is on fire.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Band-wagon jumping? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'm just happy that Herm has pulled his head out of his ass and let Thigpen run something that he can. Do I think it will work next season? I don't know. I'm not going to bash the fact that it seems to be working right now.

Nice Post, but I dont think Herm has the full head out though.... The defense is still bad enough to make GROB look like Buddy Ryan...

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
any offense the chiefs will be running will be dogshit with out tony. especially a tony g that is on fire.

:shrug:
http://www.stayingalive.ca/images/fire_extinguisher1.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I won't deny that the scheme is working well right now. But the level of play on the part of EVERYONE involved in it needs to up, up, UP Big Time in order to make it work against a Pro Bowl defense.

I'll be plowing through the numbers here shortly, as I want to see how this is truly playing out.

mikey23545
12-04-2008, 11:02 AM

This is utter lunacy.

You're a fucking idiot, and can't see shit right in front of your clown face.

HemiEd
12-04-2008, 11:05 AM

It is good to see, but I think the losing streak may have brought some pressure to bear on Herm.

It is good to see one of these claims go the Chiefs way, many of us have been upset over the Colts claim of Ryan Lilja for quite a while.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
You're a fucking idiot, and can't see shit right in front of your clown face.

And fuck you too, motherfucker! Back it up with numbers instead of being an asshole( If you can ).

blueballs
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
if r2p2 scores you 17 points and the other team 24
or the spread scores you 27 and the other team 34
the outcome is just the same -sav perhaps a little more entertaining

FringeNC
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Have you watched the Chiefs play this year? Old offense = worst in league history. Spread = at a minimum, league average. Yeah, let's go back to Herm's vaunted power running game.

dj56dt58
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM

If you stick with this current scheme; lining LJ or whoever up behind Thigpen in a shotgun formation, you've lost 3+ yards before the ****ing ball is even snapped!

yeah..your right. Damn, thought we had something. Back to rrp2

mikey23545
12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
And your bandwagon-jumpery is equaly comical. Let's keep this about the ****ing game, okay Sherlock?

Look, GoSuck, using a different user name does not make you a football genius. You are the same pillow-biting moron no matter what name you sign on with.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Have you watched the Chiefs play this year? Old offense = worst in league history. Spread = at a minimum, league average. Yeah, let's go back to Herm's vaunted power running game.

Herm had a vaunted power running game? :D

Mr. Plow
12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
And fuck you too, motherfucker! Back it up with numbers instead of being an asshole( If you can ).

We scored 27 points, had 384 yards of total offense, 201 yards passing, 183 yards rushing against Tampa Bay....and their ranks:

Total Defense: #4
Pass Defense: #3
Rush Defense: #9
Scoring: #4

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:20 AM
We scored 27 points, had 384 yards of total offense, 201 yards passing, 183 yards rushing against Tampa Bay....and their ranks:

So your saying we are going to the Big Bowl? Or we might as just as well go Demonpenz and smoke a Big Bowl?

FringeNC
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Herm had a vaunted power running game? :D

In Herm, Carl, and CarlSatan's minds, he did.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
These are the current rankings of our opponents for overall NFL defense:

Tampa Bay: 4th. This was the game where we really opened up the playbook, and had better performance from the Offense after the NYJ and two solid weeks of practicing the scheme. The Tampa D however did what a good D is supposed to do; they made adjustments at the half, and shut the Offense down in the 2nd half of the game.

Tennessee: 5th. Doesn't really count, but WTF.

New England: 9th. Again; doesn't count.

Carolina: 11th. No Count.

Buffalo: 12th. Interesting...

Miami: 18th.

New Orleans: 20th.

Atlanta: 22nd. Shits and giggles only; no count.

Cincinnati: 24th.

Oakland: 25th.

San Diego: 27th.

Denver: 28th.

If I'm wrong, and this scheme becomes the Holy of Holies; great. But until I see a 'W' against a top 10 defense, I will NOT be convinced.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
In Herm, Carl, and CarlSatan's minds, he did.

I never said that. What I said, is that the running game in this scheme will fail miserably against an Elite Defense.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
CarlSatan, do you really think the Chiefs had a power running game?

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:25 AM

See my post above; I knew this was the "ace" everyone was going to attempt to pull.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
CarlSatan, do you really think the Chiefs had a power running game?

See #57.

FringeNC
These are the current rankings of our opponents for overall NFL defense:

Tampa Bay: 4th. This was the game where we really opened up the playbook, and had better performance from the Offense after the NYJ and two solid weeks of practicing the scheme. The Tampa D however did what a good D is supposed to do; they made adjustments at the half, and shut the Offense down in the 2nd half of the game.

Tennessee: 5th. Doesn't really count, but WTF.

New England: 9th. Again; doesn't count.

Carolina: 11th. No Count.

Buffalo: 12th. Interesting...

Miami: 18th.

New Orleans: 20th.

Atlanta: 22nd. Shits and giggles only; no count.

Cincinnati: 24th.

Oakland: 25th.

San Diego: 27th.

Denver: 28th.

If I'm wrong, and this scheme becomes the Holy of Holies; great. But until I see a 'W' against a top 10 defense, I will NOT be convinced.

And I guess it was because of the offense that we lost to Indy in 2003? You're th type of guy who would claim a pitcher sucks if he had 1.50 ERA and had a losing record because of a league-worst offense. Your argument is a joke.

El Jefe
You're a ****ing idiot, and can't see shit right in front of your clown face.

LMAO. This.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
And I guess it was because of the offense that we lost to Indy in 2003? You're th type of guy who would claim a pitcher sucks if he had 1.50 ERA and had a losing record because of a league-worst offense. Your argument is a joke.

Hey wait one minute FringeNC, Didnt Herm say that we are losing games because of our circus offense as well? That we needed to control the clock and TOP?

Sure-Oz
12-04-2008, 11:29 AM
The vikings would be worlds better if they had thigpen starting

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow. Wow wow wow.

Unbelieveable.
Dude...

You're a fucking idiot.

The offense we're running now is far better and much more effective than the offense that led us to the playoffs in 2006.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Although i didnt notice it last week,

Thiggy has ran a few plays from behind center. He doesnt take 100% shotgun snaps.

The Tampa Bay game he spent the majority of the first half behind center and we had three straight TD drives.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Good thing we have Tony then?

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:31 AM

What the fuck does a loss from 2003, with a completely different roster have to with this?

The argument is valid; run this Quasi-Spread against a Top 10, and SHOW ME THE FUCKING WIN!!!
:cuss:

FringeNC
Hey wait one minute FringeNC, Didnt Herm say that we are losing games because of our circus offense as well? That we needed to control the clock and TOP?

He most certainly did, and all the Herm lover's conveniently ignore that. This offense has only had success because we have scrapped Herm's power running bullshit, and started throwing the ball again.

mikey23545
See my post above; I knew this was the "ace" everyone was going to attempt to pull.

And so ignoring it proves your point?!?!?

Gochiefs, you are such an idiot...ROFL

Sure-Oz
Dude...

You're a ****ing idiot.

The offense we're running now is far better and much more effective than the offense that led us to the playoffs in 2006.

IF we had an average defense we wouldve won most of these games

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I won't deny that the scheme is working well right now. But the level of play on the part of EVERYONE involved in it needs to up, up, UP Big Time in order to make it work against a Pro Bowl defense.

I'll be plowing through the numbers here shortly, as I want to see how this is truly playing out.

well it's a good thing the Chiefs aren't going to Hawaii to play that pro bowl defense any time soon

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Dude...

You're a ****ing idiot.

but Hootie, you were so in love with that 2006 offense with Huard at the Helm..

Divorce can be a nasty thing, if you need to talk, I will listen...

Pestilence
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
IF we had an average defense we wouldve won most of these games

This.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:34 AM
We went to the playoffs in 2006 with an offense half as effective as the one we've ran the last 6 weeks with Thigpen.

This offense has been playoff caliber lately...too bad we have NOTHING on defense.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
What the **** does a loss from 2003, with a completely different roster have to with this?

The argument is valid; run this Quasi-Spread against a Top 10, and SHOW ME THE ****ING WIN!!!

Right now we just have to take improvment and player development despite certain members of our coaching staff...

It cant be judged on W's and L's when your HC is a proven loser over the course of his pathetic career...

Next year is more of the same as well. All we can hope for is that we have enough of a foundation from Mr Keen Eye for the next GM and staff to work with...

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
He most certainly did, and all the Herm lover's conveniently ignore that. This offense has only had success because we have scrapped Herm's power running bullshit, and started throwing the ball again.

Are we all now going to start defending that article outlining putting LJ behind Tyler in a shotgun, that we were all TRASHING BEFORE?!?!?

Fickle. Will O' The Wisp. As The Wind Blows; these are but a few of the descriptives I can apply to certain members who have now turned a 180 on this.

Or do you just like arguing with me for shits and giggles?:rolleyes:

FringeNC
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
What the **** does a loss from 2003, with a completely different roster have to with this?

The argument is valid; run this Quasi-Spread against a Top 10, and SHOW ME THE ****ING WIN!!!

Supposed Thigpen was 30-40 for 375 yards and 4 TDs and 0 ints against a top 10 defense and we LOST

or Suppose Thigpen was 12-33 for 177 yards, 0 TDs and 3 ints and we WON because the other team had a bunch of fluked turnovers.

This is my last response to this idiocy. Everyone who watches football understands QBs can play well and lose and play poorly and win -- everyone but you evidently.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:37 AM
but Hootie, you were so in love with that 2006 offense with Huard at the Helm..

Divorce can be a nasty thing, if you need to talk, I will listen...

Jesus Christ...

I liked the Chiefs winning games...and we were better in 2006 with Huard than we were with Green...that was my point at the time...I don't know how people still don't realize this.

Huard is the best QB in the R2P2...that's not a compliment, it's just a fact. I never ONE TIME claimed Huard was a starting caliber QB with starting caliber QB qualities.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Right now we just have to take improvment and player development despite certain members of our coaching staff...

It cant be judged on W's and L's when your HC is a proven loser over the course of his pathetic career...

Next year is more of the same as well. All we can hope for is that we have enough of a foundation from Mr Keen Eye for the next GM and staff to work with...

Get this team a premium O-Line, and I will be more than ready to buy in to the potential success of this system.

Short Leash Hootie
LJ has looked better the last three games than he has since Herm arrived IMO...he's running like he did in 2005...last game he finished every run and looked terrific. Yeah, our running game is really suffering LMAO

Pablo
Dear Chiefs,

Thanks for the Hall of Famer.

The VikingsLOL.

He's a good DE and all...but HOF...let's see what he's got the next 5 or 6 seasons before we go all Canton on him.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
We went to the playoffs in 2006 with an offense half as effective as the one we've ran the last 6 weeks with Thigpen.

This offense has been playoff caliber lately...too bad we have NOTHING on defense.

And why is that? we have spent many picks on the D line and the D as a whole over the last 3 years. We have a coach that is supposed to be a D mined Guru and promised to fix this defense when he smuggly bashed DV and his tenure at his hiring...

At somepoint he needs to be held accountable for the injuries and the lack of progression of the Defense. This should be a Top 5 defense anything less is a failure when your HC was part of the Buc Ball Glory years...

So now is Herm an Offensive guru now?

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Supposed Thigpen was 30-40 for 375 yards and 4 TDs and 0 ints against a top 10 defense and we LOST

or Suppose Thigpen was 12-33 for 177 yards, 0 TDs and 3 ints and we WON because the other team had a bunch of fluked turnovers.

This is my last response to this idiocy. Everyone who watches football understands QBs can play well and lose and play poorly and win -- everyone but you evidently.

Ben Roethlisberger won a Super Bowl game in which he posted a QB rating of 22.6.

Reerun_KC
Jesus Christ...

I liked the Chiefs winning games...and we were better in 2006 with Huard than we were with Green...that was my point at the time...I don't know how people still don't realize this.

Huard is the best QB in the R2P2...that's not a compliment, it's just a fact. I never ONE TIME claimed Huard was a starting caliber QB with starting caliber QB qualities.

Its okay Hootie, I was just picking on you. It was nothing personal about your post..

Just a little old time fun...

Darth CarlSatan

THIS ISN'T ABOUT THIGPEN, GOD DAMN YOU; IT'S ABOUT THE RUN!!!

THE RUN,
THE RUN,
THE MOTHERFUCKING RUN!!!!
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
And why is that? we have spent many picks on the D line and the D as a whole over the last 3 years. We have a coach that is supposed to be a D mined Guru and promised to fix this defense when he smuggly bashed DV and his tenure at his hiring...

At somepoint he needs to be held accountable for the injuries and the lack of progression of the Defense. This should be a Top 5 defense anything less is a failure when your HC was part of the Buc Ball Glory years...

So now is Herm an Offensive guru now?

Don't know where I ever said that...I think Herm SHOULD be held accountable for the defense...this should never have happened...rebuilding or not...it is unacceptable that Herm has fielded this bad of a defense.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Or do you just like arguing with me for shits and giggles?:rolleyes:

This....

This is one of the reasons I like this board, I agrue with people just to get them bent out of shape.... Its fun...

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Get this team a premium O-Line, and I will be more than ready to buy in to the potential success of this system.

Great.

So we'll score 26 points per game instead of 23, but the defense will continue to give up 30.

Brilliant.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Don't know where I ever said that...I think Herm SHOULD be held accountable for the defense...this should never have happened...rebuilding or not...it is unacceptable that Herm has fielded this bad of a defense.

You didnt say that nor was I implying you said that, I was just asking a question about offensive guru and your 100% correct on the D....

seclark

THE RUN,
THE RUN,
THE MOTHER****ING RUN!!!!

looks like somebody's morphing into dick mode...chill out little cowboy.
sec

Short Leash Hootie
Darth CarlSatan is a moron...

LJ has looked really good running the football the last three weeks...he looks like the LJ of old...

Even the few 2 yard runs he had were impressive...he ran hard and finished every run.

I am willing to bet LJ will be a monster down the stretch...he's going to average 100 yards per game to finish out the season...and he'll be a 1000 yard back. I'd bet on it.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM

THE RUN,
THE RUN,

http://lc-capslock.org/images/capslock.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
Great.

So we'll score 26 points per game instead of 23, but the defense will continue to give up 30.

Brilliant.

A hypothetical Warpath, a hypothetical. Of course the Defense requires personnel.

This isn't about DRAFT! It's about Game Science.

FringeNC

THE RUN,
THE RUN,

I thought it was about a W versus a top 10 D? Doesn't matter, substitute in offense for Thigpen and nothing in the argument changes.

Sure-Oz
Great.

Brilliant.

You'd think this franchise and some of its fans would learn that we wasted one of the best offenses in the NFL in the last decade cause of the worst defense ever. You need atleast a top 15 defense

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
http://lc-capslock.org/images/capslock.jpg

ROFLROFLROFL

Well fuck me, man; it's like "We're working here, people; try and keep the fuck up"!
ROFL

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM

LJ has looked really good running the football the last three weeks...he looks like the LJ of old...

Even the few 2 yard runs he had were impressive...he ran hard and finished every run.

I am willing to bet LJ will be a monster down the stretch...he's going to average 100 yards per game to finish out the season...and he'll be a 1000 yard back. I'd bet on it.

He could run for 2000 and I still wont root for him anymore... Too many domestic issues, spitting, gun pointing, etc....

Its past time for LJ to move on....

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I thought it was about a W versus a top 10 D? Doesn't matter, substitute in offense for Thigpen and nothing in the argument changes.

There simply isn't an emoticon available to express what I'm feeling at this moment.

Mr. Plow

Whatever dumbass. You asked for stats to back it up, I presented them to you. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Short Leash Hootie
You'd think this franchise and some of its fans would learn that we wasted one of the best offenses in the NFL in the last decade cause of the worst defense ever. You need atleast a top 15 defense

I agree, it's about balance.

Right now I'm just happy that this season wasn't a total waste, and perhaps we might have found an offense.

Next year we better have a vastly improved defense or it's bye bye to Herm...anything less than 8-8 and a revamped defensive line in 2009 equals failure in my mind.

We were suppose to be bad this year...I figured we'd be better on defense than we would be on offense...the fact that we have 6 sacks on the year means Herm isn't doing his job, plain and simple. I'm willing to waste one more year on Herm because the players continue to play hard for him...which isn't the case for the other teams that have similar records to Kansas City. We are a pretty competitive 2-10 team.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Well it looks like we might waste another Offense, because our defense is worse than anything GROB put on the field and they were historically bad..

This is a complete EPIC fail by Herm and Gun...

DaKCMan AP
As stated on page 1 of this thread, our run offense is ranked #12 in the NFL. Since we've gone spread we've rushed the ball more, gained more yards and have a higher yards per carry average.

beach tribe

It cracks me up when people bring up having a dominant O-line, and someone says "look what that got us" like it was their fault we couldn't force ONE punt.

Wait. Where did that come from?

Short Leash Hootie
He could run for 2000 and I still wont root for him anymore... Too many domestic issues, spitting, gun pointing, etc....

Its past time for LJ to move on....

Meh.

It just doesn't bother me...one more incident and he's done, that's for sure...but until then as long as he produces he's ok in my book. Lets face it, 50% of professional athletes are scum these days.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Exactly. LJ has looked so much better the last 3 weeks in this offense than he ever did running his head into the centers ass.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Meh.

It just doesn't bother me...one more incident and he's done, that's for sure...but until then as long as he produces he's ok in my book. Lets face it, 50% of professional athletes are scum these days.

Fair Enough... Cant argue that...

Sure-Oz
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
LJ actually has had space to run, he's had some good hard nosed runs and is actually part of the offense again

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Here's why I wouldn't mind having a great offense and a horrible defense next season...

During the DV years, we knew with the age of our OL and skill players, there was a small window for our defense to come around and get us that trophy.

Now, we're so young it wouldn't be such a big deal because we'd have a much larger window.

That being said, even a vast improvement to the defense next year could still mean it would be shitty as hell...because right now our defense has been a complete abortion. You have to be able to pressure the QB...and no one on our defense is remotely capable.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
As stated on page 1 of this thread, our run offense is ranked #12 in the NFL. Since we've gone spread we've rushed the ball more, gained more yards and have a higher yards per carry average.

But but but.....we can't run out of this offense.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree, it's about balance.

Right now I'm just happy that this season wasn't a total waste, and perhaps we might have found an offense.

Next year we better have a vastly improved defense or it's bye bye to Herm...anything less than 8-8 and a revamped defensive line in 2009 equals failure in my mind.

We were suppose to be bad this year...I figured we'd be better on defense than we would be on offense...the fact that we have 6 sacks on the year means Herm isn't doing his job, plain and simple. I'm willing to waste one more year on Herm because the players continue to play hard for him...which isn't the case for the other teams that have similar records to Kansas City. We are a pretty competitive 2-10 team.

Its going to be hard to get 8 wins next year. The coaches Herm has to go up against are far head and shoulders above Herm...

So with Herms usual 2 game collaspe with his spineless approach to coaching and probably 2-3 games where Herm will just be out coached, I can see this team going between 4-12 and 6-10, and give just a maricle of a season and coaching job from Herm 7-9 at best...

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Exactly. LJ has looked so much better the last 3 weeks in this offense than he ever did running his head into the centers ass.

Okay, so let's call it "The Missouri Compromise" then; as long as we run to the outside, we're fine.

And that's cool with me, because in those instances I watched LJ trying to get up the middle, instances where his OWN LINEMEN were causing him to stop and stutter; it looked like total shit and achieved the yardage equivalent of said shit.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
here's my take on LJ...

I think he's a smart guy. I really think this latest incident and the negative media he has received nationally and from Goodell has humbled him. He realizes that he's not untouchable and that Herm and the Chiefs won't take his shit anymore.

This is his last shot to create a legacy for himself after his time in the NFL is over...and I think he's willing to be a better teammate now. I have seen a huge difference out of LJ since his return from suspension/deactivation. I think he wants to win badly, and that the R2P2 is a big reason for the way he conducted himself the past two years.

I'm willing to give him ONE more chance.

R&GHomer
12-04-2008, 11:56 AM

For now, I'm going to trust that Gaily will be able to adapt the offense into something a tad more conventional.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:56 AM
the spread has allowed LJ to get a little space...and that's when he's at his best...give him a crease and he's one cut and in the open field...where he's REALLY dangerous.

He's had SEVERAL long runs this year...something he didn't see last season before his injury. The explosion is still there...he's still in his prime...it was just hidden behind the R2P2.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I hope so too. It's a shame to see a player with that much talent make such horrid personal decisions, decisions that could lead not just to the end of his career, but possibly even worse.

I hope you're right; I really do.

Short Leash Hootie
12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
defenses can't really even prepare because every week we do something a lot different...we ran the spread 90% of the game against the Jets...something we've never done...so obviously they were off balance...

Then, against Tampa, Thigpen operated under center for the majority of the 1st half...where we scored 24 points and had 3 straight TD drives...

Then, when LJ returned we started running out of the pistol...

At least the offensive creativity displayed saved the season from being a total disaster and made some games entertaining...which is something I didn't see possible two months ago.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I hope so too. It's a shame to see a player with that much talent make such horrid personal decisions, decisions that could lead not just to the end of his career, but possibly even worse.

I hope you're right; I really do.

See Plexiglass Burress!

Sure-Oz
12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I love how Plax may lose his career and freedom but pacman has had a million chances, that dude deserves to be in jail more than plax's dumbass

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 12:05 PM
For now, I'm going to trust that Gaily will be able to adapt the offense into something a tad more conventional.

I hope so, because we've all seen it; running that scheme against anyone other than Oakland may put us in a dog fight or even keep it close, but it's success at "closing the deal" hasn't been what I would call stellar.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
defenses can't really even prepare because every week we do something a lot different...we ran the spread 90% of the game against the Jets...something we've never done...so obviously they were off balance...

Then, against Tampa, Thigpen operated under center for the majority of the 1st half...where we scored 24 points and had 3 straight TD drives...

Then, when LJ returned we started running out of the pistol...

At least the offensive creativity displayed saved the season from being a total disaster and made some games entertaining...which is something I didn't see possible two months ago.

I'm no fan of R2P2, and I DO like the creativity that Gailey has brought to the table with Thigpen.
I just believe that you're not going to get to the playoffs running the football out of a shotgun.

Micjones
12-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm no fan of R2P2, and I DO like the creativity that Gailey has brought to the table with Thigpen.
I just believe that you're not going to get to the playoffs running the football out of a shotgun.

I don't believe they'll have to.
I think Gailey will have time to really flesh out the playbook and add more wrinkles to the philosophy in the off-season. There's only so much you can do when you're gameplanning on a weekly basis.

I think you can tweak this offense just like Saunders tailored the Air Coryell offense to his offensive weapons.
Remember...In the early-going they didn't exactly know what to do with Priest.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I think Gailey will have time to really flesh out the playbook and add more wrinkles to the philosophy in the off-season. There's only so much you can do when you're gameplanning on a weekly basis.

I think you can tweak this offense just like Saunders tailored the Air Coryell offense to his offensive weapons.

True enough!

kcchiefsus
12-04-2008, 12:57 PM

That's not what he meant. He is saying Tyler is at the very least a #2. These last 4 games will go a ways towards deciding if he is more than that.

CoMoChief
12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Yet still Priest led the NFL in rushing that season. It hink they had a pretty good idea what to do with him.

Kerberos
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
And so ignoring it proves your point?!?!?

Gochiefs, you are such an idiot...ROFL

Yup

I'm pretty sure you are dead on with the Goat Cheeze alias.

kcchiefsus
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I think what will determine if Tyler can be our QBOTF, or at least for the near future until we find somebody better, is whether he can learn to play under center about 50% of the time. If he can play out of both the shotgun and under center and be successful then I think we might have a keeper. We'll see how he does in the offseason when they have time to form the offense around him.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Um, have you ever watched the New England Patriots with Tom Brady?

How about the Philadelphia Eagles this decade?

60/40 Pass to Run ratio.

This team is a few offensive lineman away from dominance. I truly believe that will happen in the 2009 off-season.

Herm even mentioned the O-line in this article.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Its going to be hard to get 8 wins next year. The coaches Herm has to go up against are far head and shoulders above Herm...

So with Herms usual 2 game collaspe with his spineless approach to coaching and probably 2-3 games where Herm will just be out coached, I can see this team going between 4-12 and 6-10, and give just a maricle of a season and coaching job from Herm 7-9 at best...

If the Chiefs go 7-9 next year with another batch of successful draft choices added to the current youngest team in the NFL, he'll get at least a three year extension.

BigChiefFan
12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Brilliant. Herm was Hell Bent on scrap heaping a potent offense for 40 plus games and now all the sudden, he's had a revelation? Bullshit. This is, save your own ass, coach speak and I'm not buying it. Herm will be right back to his conservative ways, when ever the heat is off. Besides that, who in the Hell actually buys that Thigpen was Herm's starter form day one? Two-Face is full of shit.

HemiEd
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Yup

I'm pretty sure you are dead on with the Goat Cheeze alias.

I called it on his first few posts.

Brock
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, if only we had kept Willie Roaf, Priest Holmes and Trent Green.

BigChiefFan
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, if only we had kept Willie Roaf, Priest Holmes and Trent Green.
I know-they are the only Players that can run the Air Coreyell, right?:D

Chieftain58
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Let's see how he finishes out the season. How many years left on his contract?

Chieftain58
12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I think what will determine if Tyler can be our QBOTF, or at least for the near future until we find somebody better, is whether he can learn to play under center about 50% of the time. If he can play out of both the shotgun and under center and be successful then I think we might have a keeper. We'll see how he does in the offseason when they have time to form the offense around him.

I think you have said it perfectly... can he play under center?

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you have said it perfectly... can he play under center?

Motion seconded, and that's all I've been trying to say here.

BCD
12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I never said that. What I said, is that the running game in this scheme will fail miserably against an Elite Defense.:spock: Most running games will fail against an elite D.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
:spock: Most running games will fail against an elite D.

Ohhhhhhh.......

NO MAS! NO MAS!

You and everybody else WINS!
I cede all points, due to the fact that I can NOT endure one more minute of this debate.

Congratulations; you win! Please take this case of Turtle Wax and copy of the Home Edition as an extra bonus!

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
If the Chiefs go 7-9 next year with another batch of successful draft choices added to the current youngest team in the NFL, he'll get at least a three year extension.

Yep your right, and the true fans will rejoice, as we are setup to wallow in mediocrity for years to come....

I never thought a coach that is this porous on gamedays, draft picks and development of players could continue to flounder in ass, would still get the approval of the ownership..

Only in KC where mediocrity is supreme and moral victories are as important as superbowls....

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Yep your right, and the true fans will rejoice, as we are setup to wallow in mediocrity for years to come....

I never thought a coach that is this porous on gamedays, draft picks and development of players could continue to flounder in ass, would still get the approval of the ownership..

Only in KC where mediocrity is supreme and moral victories are as important as superbowls....

I'd like you to explain to us how a coach with the youngest team in the league, dominated by first and second year players, would suck if his team went 7-9.

:eek:

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I'd like you to explain to us how a coach with the youngest team in the league, dominated by first and second year players, would suck if his team went 7-9.

You mean to you and not "us" Most of the planet think Herm is a lame duck coach. There are only a select few, that are rallying behind...

It wouldnt suck homie, if you had a coach that has proven over the course of his tenure he knew what the hell he was doing in developing that said team with the "youngest players" in the league.

We could sit here for the next 10 minutes and debate Herms accomplishments and then spend the rest of the day discussing his failures and shortcomings as a coach...

But over all, I would be thrilled "monkey freaking a football" thrilled if this was a team being developed by a coach that has a NFL mindset and a coaching philosophy that isnt dated pre WWII....

I am thrilled at the prospect of this rebuilding excuse! I love the youth, but I am not going to support the clown in charge... Never have and sure the freak never will....

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I am thrilled at the prospect of this rebuilding excuse! I love the youth, but I am not going to support the clown in charge... Never have and sure the freak never will....

If that's the way you feel, why even bother posting?

If they do improve to 7-9 or better next year, you're going to be stuck with him for a long, long time.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 03:11 PM

If they do improve to 7-9 or better next year, you're going to be stuck with him for a long, long time.

Yep.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Because I have been a Chiefs fan before and will be after Herm is long gone...

And it gives you something to reply to! :D

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Fine, if that is what the Chiefs ownership wants, I just know that I wont have to worry about the playoffs, AFC Championships or Superbowls...

It just makes the fan investment that much less... No skin off my back, I get to save money and travel less to games... There are plenty of "true fans" that will swing from the sack and keep Herms balls warm...

talastan

:popcorn: This will be good.....

Reerun_KC
Yep.

Better Keep Carl as well...

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Fine, if that is what the Chiefs ownership wants, I just know that I wont have to worry about the playoffs, AFC Championships or Superbowls...

It just makes the fan investment that much less... No skin off my back, I get to save money and travel less to games... There are plenty of "true fans" that will swing from the sack and keep Herms balls warm...

You don't get it, do you?

If the Chiefs improve to 7-9 next year with more than 75% of the team still in their first contract (and the majority in the first and second years), what makes you think this team won't make a huge leap forward in 2010?

Like a playoff win and maybe beyond?

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
:popcorn: This will be good.....

Why?

He just avoids this question when confronted.

"Herm sucks".

Right. :rolleyes:

Chiefnj2
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM

If the Chiefs improve to 7-9 next year with more than 75% of the team still in their first contract (and the majority in the first and second years), what makes you think this team won't make a huge leap forward in 2010?

7 wins would be tough next year playing the NFC East. Plus the 4th place Bills and Jags would be tough games as well (for playing last place teams).

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Better Keep Carl as well...

That's bullshit and you KNOW IT. Carl will NOT be here after the 2009 season. PERIOD.

Get out of the batters box, put that weak shit to bed, and step back up to the plate.

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Well the same reason a lot of people including myself "just don’t get it".

I think you and I are debating two different issues here... Yes I feel the team is capable of 7-9 next year or better, but as I stated in a previous post, Herms game time decisions will cost us 1-3 games, Hell already cost us 2 games this year. The teams we have to face next year have coaches that understand the NFL and are miles ahead of Herm. So take that and factor in another 1-3 games and I can see the Chiefs going between 4-12 and 6-10 relatively easy... Its not hate or fact, its just an opinion.

I feel the talent is "at places" there Dane, but coaching is not. We have 6 sacks on the year... That is 6! Gun and Herm are to blame; these are Herms DL'men, Herms Tampon 2 and Gunthers, whatever the freak he is good for defense. Yet we can only muster up 6 sacks... We play so passive on _efense it is scary....

So are we going to debate the talent we have at certain positions and a team that could be middle of the pack next year? Or are we going to debate the coach that will ultimately keep them from reaching their goals???

Because with all the talent Mr. Keen eye has drafted over the years, all the holes he has fixed, all the players he has developed, IF he was so freaking great, why the freak is his record so bad, his teams always start the seasons slow, unprepared and injuries run through it like a Hurricane? The guy just doesn’t have "it" and it shows not only in his record, but his decisions when the stakes are the highest.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Because with all the talent Mr. Keen eye has drafted over the years, all the holes he has fixed, all the players he has developed, IF he was so freaking great, why the freak is his record so bad, his teams always start the seasons slow, unprepared and injuries run through it like a Hurricane? The guy just doesn’t have "it" and it shows not only in his record, but his decisions when the stakes are the highest.

Herm and Kuharich took control of personnel in 2008. The draft and the signings of undrafted free agents (Mike Cox, Maurice Leggett, etc.) along with waiver wire acquisitions such as Bradley have been among the best talent acquisitions the Chiefs have had in nearly 20 years.

This team had been built through free agency. Herm was given what he was given in 2006 and 2007. He went to the owner and asked that he have control over personnel. There's nothing else he could with the old philosophy.

Furthermore, if he didn't have "It", how was he able to get to the playoffs 3 out of 5 years in New York and in his first year in KC? Especially without the services of Trent Green and Willie Roaf?

Who would have thought that was possible in 2005, when the Chiefs had won on 7 games in 2004?

Back to Herm: Are you really not seeing improvement in this squad from week to week? Do you actually WATCH each and every game or are you going by reports on Chiefsplanet or the radio?

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Herm and Kuharich took control of personnel in 2008. The draft and the signings of undrafted free agents (Mike Cox, Maurice Leggett, etc.) along with waiver wire acquisitions such as Bradley have been among the best talent acquisitions the Chiefs have had in nearly 20 years.

This team had been built through free agency. Herm was given what he was given in 2006 and 2007. He went to the owner and asked that he have control over personnel. There's nothing else he could with the old philosophy.

Furthermore, if he didn't have "It", how was he able to get to the playoffs 3 out of 5 years in New York and in his first year in KC? Especially without the services of Trent Green and Willie Roaf?

Who would have thought that was possible in 2005, when the Chiefs had won on 7 games in 2004?

Back to Herm: Are you really not seeing improvement in this squad from week to week? Do you actually WATCH each and every game or are you going by reports on Chiefsplanet or the radio?

There is a post around here that explains Herms coaching tenure in NYJ including his playoffs, if you havent read it, you should. Its pretty telling.

In 2005 the chiefs went 10-6 with DV, was strong at the end of the year, but the Dallas, Philly and NYG games cost them, I am not sure what Herm had to do with that, but okay?

In 2006, it was one of the biggest miracles in history, we needed what? 3 teams to lose and it came down to Denver and SF in overtime at Denver for us to make the playoffs. Yes we won an ugly home game, but by no means did we make the playoffs without the Lord Jesus himselfs help.

So his time in NYJ and the last two years are not Herms only drafts? So all that talent he drafted and developed was not his? Okay now I am confused? So we can only judge Herm on 2008 and not his previous drafts/tenures, unless we are looking at things that make him look good, like beating the Colts in the playoffs, but not anything else right?

Would be nice if the coach had a backbone in 2006 and 2007, instead of being a foot suffling porter to the King...

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Dane, its been fun, but have to go for now...

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 04:05 PM
So his time in NYJ and the last two years are not Herms only drafts? So all that talent he drafted and developed was not his? Okay now I am confused? So we can only judge Herm on 2008 and not his previous drafts/tenures, unless we are looking at things that make him look good, like beating the Colts in the playoffs, but not anything else right?

Would be nice if the coach had a backbone in 2006 and 2007, instead of being a foot suffling porter to the King...

You never responded to thread that showed all of the talent drafted by Herm and Bradway. There was a shit-ton, many of those players still with the team and guys like Abraham still out there kicking ass.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Dane, a serious question for you. You've been talking, in this thread & others, about the improvements the Chiefs have made this year & week to week. Over the first 6 games, would you have said the same things? Were they showing improvement? Also, were the FA's & draft picks looking good through the first 6 games or have they just started to come on?

PS....yes, I know that there is a transition period for FA & draft picks.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
PS....yes, I know that there is a transition period for FA & draft picks.

Then why are you asking this question?

Did you expect the Chiefs to win more than 3 games this season?

Mr. Plow
12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Then why are you asking this question?

Did you expect the Chiefs to win more than 3 games this season?

No. I didn't. Don't answer it. It's no biggie, just thought I'd ask.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
You never responded to thread that showed all of the talent drafted by Herm and Bradway. There was a shit-ton, many of those players still with the team and guys like Abraham still out there kicking ass.

I'm 99% certain that Abraham was taken before Herm got there...

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Yep.

The year before.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 04:40 PM
No. I didn't. Don't answer it. It's no biggie, just thought I'd ask.

There was individual improvement over the course of the first six games. Albert, Carr, Flowers, Charles, etc. While the team didn't necessarily improve, those players and others did improve.

With the addition of Bradley after the bye week and the change to the spread offense, the Chiefs offense matured and improved considerably.

It's a damn shame that the Chiefs front office and coaching staff weren't able to identify Thigpen as THE QBOTF in the off-season because it's possible that this team might be further ahead right now. But then again, they might not.

Mecca
12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Yep.

The year before.

Herms draft record with the Jets is like it is here..up and down so pretty average when you balance it out.

ArrowheadHawk
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Herms draft record with the Jets is like it is here..up and down so pretty average when you balance it out.

The draft is a crapshoot for any team.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Yes, he was.

But those who would argue that Herm and his staff can't develop talent are just plain dumb because there's no way you're going to convince me that Abraham was "developed" by Al Groh in one year.

The thing that all these people who play the "development" card are missing is that you can't get blood from a turnip.

And the Chiefs have drafted a lot of turnips on the defensive side of the ball for the past decade.

Fish
12-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Brilliant. Herm was Hell Bent on scrap heaping a potent offense for 40 plus games and now all the sudden, he's had a revelation? Bullshit. This is, save your own ass, coach speak and I'm not buying it. Herm will be right back to his conservative ways, when ever the heat is off. Besides that, who in the Hell actually buys that Thigpen was Herm's starter form day one? Two-Face is full of shit.

This excuse just makes no sense at all.... Save his own ass? Herm will go conservative when the heat is off?

What heat? What pressure? Clark hasn't said or done shit. Everybody knew we were going to suck this year. Herm's job was never on the line, and it's not on the line now. If it was ever on the line, he would have been fired after the home opener. To say that Herm changed the offense "to save his job" is just stupid. He's proving the majority wrong with the offense, and some people are butthurt. The same people who said he'd never deviate from the R2P2 offense. He'll never pass the ball. He hates TDs. Nothing but fieldgoals. Up the centers ass and punt. Well BS.....

KChiefsQT
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Vikings

EXACTLY!! I miss that fucking monkey!!!!

JohnnyV13
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Aw heck...we don't need Jared Allen when we have Tamba Hali.

Thig Lyfe
12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Jesus fucking Christ, do they even have a copyeditor at CBSSports.com? It's like they just vomited a bunch of commas, colons and semicolons all over that sentence.

MahiMike
12-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Dude, what r u spewing about? The change to the offense is the ONLY good thing Herm has done this year. The O is coming around. Don't complain about it.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
EXACTLY!! I miss that fucking monkey!!!!

MAS-TER OF MUL-LET; HEAR HIS MIGHTY ROAR. . .

Dude; what's up with "Shaak-Ti" in the avatar?

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Dude, what r u spewing about? The change to the offense is the ONLY good thing Chan has done this year. The O is coming around. Don't complain about it.

FYP.

You're a day late and a dollar short; we've already been through this and reached a consensus.

TEX
12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Man I HATE Herm as the HC of my favorite football team. I keep holding out hope that he'll get shit canned after the season, but that doesn't seem to be the case. :shake:

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Man I HATE Herm as the HC of my favorite football team. I keep holding out hope that he'll get shit canned after the season, but that doesn't seem to be the case. :shake:

This always cheers me up when I have Herm-Rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Chaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjxb9m5edI&feature=related

Valiant
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM

IF done correctly you can set up the run from passing in the spread, tweak what the PATS and Eagles did in the past.. The problem is I don't see them sticking with the style they are playing right now next year.. It is not Herm or Carl's m.o. to do it..

But we still need to fix the defense..

KChiefsQT
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
MAS-TER OF MUL-LET; HEAR HIS MIGHTY ROAR. . .

Dude; what's up with "Shaak-Ti" in the avatar?

"Shaak-Ti" ???

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
IF done correctly you can set up the run from passing in the spread, tweak what the PATS and Eagles did in the past.. The problem is I don't see them sticking with the style they are playing right now next year.. It is not Herm or Carl's m.o. to do it..

But we still need to fix the defense..

Agreed.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 08:59 PM
"Shaak-Ti" ???

http://www.rabittooth.com/800x600StarWarsWallpapers2/ShaakTiV2Wallpaper.jpg

beer bacon
12-04-2008, 09:44 PM

There is a very simple way to get to the playoffs running the football out of the shotgun. It is called a top ten defense.

Since Thigpen took over at QB, we have scored over 23 ppg and ran for over 120 ypg at over 5 ypc. None of this matters. We are giving up 30 ppg. No team will win more then three or four games giving up 30 ppg.

KChiefsQT
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.rabittooth.com/800x600StarWarsWallpapers2/ShaakTiV2Wallpaper.jpg

Ewww WTF is that?

Cormac
12-04-2008, 10:12 PM

Best post of the thread.

It seems weird that he'd change his offensive philosophy (which so far has been to destroy any vestige of a functional unit) and rebuild it with Tyler Thigpen as the center-piece. He's done a good job but, come on! He's an NFL Europe version of Derek Anderson.

That might be harsh but Herm is definitely an NFL Europe version of Rich Kotite.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
There is a very simple way to get to the playoffs running the football out of the shotgun. It is called a top ten defense.

Since Thigpen took over at QB, we have scored over 23 ppg and ran for over 120 ypg at over 5 ypc. None of this matters. We are giving up 30 ppg. No team will win more then three or four games giving up 30 ppg.

If that's where we're headed, then it is QUITE safe to say that our Draft Day QB pick need not be "Old School Pure Pocket", and that our possibilities/choices increase considerably.

This makes a guy like Stafford not nearly as deathly important to the Chiefs, and it opens the door for Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, and Tebow*, yes?

*See the Panda:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/89a0306c.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Ewww WTF is that?

I can't recall the species name, but the two-tone color pattern around the eyes look somewhat similar to your lady-friend there.

Post beach? Tanning Bed? Inquiring minds want to know!

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 10:31 PM

We should have one soon, We have Herm and he is a defense fixer...

Reerun_KC
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Best post of the thread.

It seems weird that he'd change his offensive philosophy (which so far has been to destroy any vestige of a functional unit) and rebuild it with Tyler Thigpen as the center-piece. He's done a good job but, come on! He's an NFL Europe version of Derek Anderson.

That might be harsh but Herm is definitely an NFL Europe version of Rich Kotite.

Agree 100%, Very solid post!

cdcox
12-04-2008, 10:37 PM
"..like look at a little different offensive linemen."

What kind of trade value do you guys think Albert has?

alanm
12-04-2008, 10:48 PM

The flaw in your logic is not accounting for the play of the Chiefs defense. So your argument is invalid.

alanm
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM
well it's a good thing the Chiefs aren't going to Hawaii to play that pro bowl defense any time soon I figured it was a brain fart on his part.

Darth CarlSatan
12-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't recall the Buffalo Offense as being the party responsible for the Ultra-Bitch Slap our own offense enjoyed at Arrowhead 2 weeks ago.

Argument = VALID.

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2008, 12:39 AM

And you're the Dick Macpherson of Chiefsplanet.

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Agree 100%, Very solid post!

I hope you know you're agreeing with a lead paint eating Drano baby

Darth CarlSatan
12-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I hope you know you're agreeing with a lead paint eating Drano baby

Mmm...Lead Paint; the gift that keeps on giving!