PDA

View Full Version : Football Which players do you think are worth a top 5 draft pick?

Chiefnj2
12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I see a lot of talk about how you don't take OLB's, MLB's, S, OG, C, etc., with a top 5 pick for varying reasons. This years draft happens to have a lot of quality players at those positions. Guys that could anchor a team at a Pro Bowl level for the next 8 years, but at a position that some don't want to draft so early because of a percieved lack of value and/or "you can always get a [insert position] in the later rounds".

So, I'm wondering which players people feel are really worthy of a top 5 pick. I'd assume Stafford and Orakpo would be on most peoples list.

My own feeling at the moment is that if a franchise QB, DE or LOT is available in the top 5 and you don't have the position secured, you take them. After that, I'm personally open to taking just about any position other than K, P or FB but I'm not sure I'd classify them as "worthy" of a top 5 pick.

Right now with a few more games left to watch, I think Stafford, Monroe and maybe Oher are the only legitimate top 5 guys. What does everyone else think?

Dicky McElephant
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
1st tier - QB, DE, LT
2nd tier - MLB, DT, WR

CoMoChief
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Oher, Orakpo, Bradford, Smith, Crabtree (who I think will be better than Calvin Johnson)

I dont know why people are so high on Stafford. I really don't.

PhillyChiefFan
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Maualuga, Orakpo, Oher, Monroe, A. Smith

No particular order.

tyton75
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman, Ziggy Hood, William Morris!

CoMoChief
12-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman, Ziggy Hood, William Morris!

To be honest, Ziggy Hood isn't as good when Zo Williams isn't there.

And I think you mean William Moore.......;)

OnTheWarpath58
12-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Right now?

Oher and Smith.

Rain Man
12-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a real-world scenario when no individual players would be worth a top-five pick, which would mean that the team couldn't trade down, and so they would just let the clock run out and slide down to save salary cap money?

And if the next team didn't want to move up, they would do the same thing, and so on, and the entire NFL draft would be a bunch of teams sitting at tables waiting for someone to make the #1 pick when nobody wants to do it?

Chiefnj2
12-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a real-world scenario when no individual players would be worth a top-five pick, which would mean that the team couldn't trade down, and so they would just let the clock run out and slide down to save salary cap money?

And if the next team didn't want to move up, they would do the same thing, and so on, and the entire NFL draft would be a bunch of teams sitting at tables waiting for someone to make the #1 pick when nobody wants to do it?

I think it happened a few years ago when one team purposefully didn't make a pick for that reason. You end up with a protracted negotiation because the agent argues his client is worth the original slot anyway.

Rooster
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Crabtree would kick so much ass IMO. I know the Chiefs have other very important needs but the thought of Bowe and Crabtree lining up for the Chiefs makes my nipples hard.

penguinz
12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Oher, Orakpo, Bradford, Smith, Crabtree (who I think will be better than Calvin Johnson)

I dont know why people are so high on Stafford. I really don't.45+ TD throws and less than 10 INT's.

ChiefsCountry
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Stafford, Bradford (just bc of the money a QB demands), Oher, Smith, Orakpo, and Mays.

Chiefnj2
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Right now?

Oher and Smith.

When I watched Oher go against Smith it reminded me of last year watching Long and Clady. Clady was much more natural in pass protection and Long in the run game. Oher seems much smoother with his footwork than Smith.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 01:36 PM
First, let me just say that the only guy I've seen play, or read about, who is truly top-5 worthy is Crabtree out of Texas Tech. The dude is just one of those truly special athletes that come around once a generation.

Sadly, the Chiefs need a helluva lot more than a WR.

Other than that, I'm just not sure there are that many players in this draft truly worth it. There are a ton of low-first and second rounders, but not many top 5 guys.

Second, the whole love of Stafford really baffles me. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not sold on Thigpen quite yet, and none of the other QBs that are -- or may -- come out impresses me, either.

But having seen Georgia 5 times this year, almost all the way through every game, I have yet to see a single thing that's impressed me. His arm is decent, but he seems unable to read defenses all that well. He hasn't been able to put a talent-rich team on his shoulders and lead them to big game wins, and there's little about his physical skills that makes him standout.

So why do so many seem so high on the guy?

I'm NOT trying to start an argument, nor do I have anyone necessarily better in mind. I just don't see why KC should risk a top-five pick on him. What is it that makes him worthy of it? I'd love to read it.

(Oh, and if this has been discussed in another thread -- one I can preferably read through in a short amount of time -- please point me to it.)

Anyway, just my 2 ... keep the change.

MM
~~:shrug:

Mark M
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
45+ TD throws and less than 10 INT's.

I think you're quoting Bradford's stats. Stafford only has 48TDs in his whole GA career.

MM
~~:)

Direckshun
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Top 5ers, in my eyes: Stafford, Oher, Smith, Monroe.

Mays and Maualuga are a small, forgivable reaches at #5.

Jenkins, Orakpo, Laurinaitis, and a healthy Wells are players I see in the Top 10.

I think Johnson and Davis are reaches in the Top 10.

Chiefnj2
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Second, the whole love of Stafford really baffles me. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not sold on Thigpen quite yet, and none of the other QBs that are -- or may -- come out impresses me, either.

But having seen Georgia 5 times this year, almost all the way through every game, I have yet to see a single thing that's impressed me. His arm is decent, but he seems unable to read defenses all that well. He hasn't been able to put a talent-rich team on his shoulders and lead them to big game wins, and there's little about his physical skills that makes him standout.

So why do so many seem so high on the guy?

I think most people would disagree with the assessment that it is a talent rich team. Stafford faces lots of QB pressure and doesn't have many receiving weapons. A guy like Bradford sits in the pocket and has all the time in the world before throwing to wide open receivers. Stafford doesn't have that luxury. McCoy is the only other guy who has impressed me under pressure and his arm isn't as good.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I think most people would disagree with the assessment that it is a talent rich team. Stafford faces lots of QB pressure and doesn't have many receiving weapons. A guy like Bradford sits in the pocket and has all the time in the world before throwing to wide open receivers. Stafford doesn't have that luxury. McCoy is the only other guy who has impressed me under pressure and his arm isn't as good.

Well, they were ranked #1 at the beginning of the season, and several of the articles I read back then talked about what a balanced, talented team GA was and how the Stafford/Moreno tandem was going to carry them to the promised land.

Or something.

So again, I still want to know why Stafford is considered by some to be a worthy top-5 pick. A mid- to late-first rounder I can understand, but not top 5.

And Bradford I 100% agree with -- I could throw 30+ TDs with that team. Not. Sold. At. All.

MM

CoMoChief
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM

This argument really doesn't mean that Stafford is better though.

the Talking Can
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM

then the answer is simple, you don't know what a good QB looks like....not trying to be harsh, just honest...

the lengths kc fans will go to avoid QBs is nigh amazing....Stafford, apparently, isn't even good enough to do a single impressive thing....

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Stafford is the only QB, I've seen that looks like a top tier prospect.

Seriously what are you guys looking at when you watch him. Big, accurate, huge arm, good decisions, and puts the ball in spots that Bradford had never had to. I just think guys watch Bradford hit wide open receivers with little pressure in his face, and say WOW at the production. The two don't even compare from what I've seen. One looks like Farve, and one looks like Pennington.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
then the answer is simple, you don't know what a good QB looks like....not trying to be harsh, just honest...

Well, there is a reason I'm not a scout or GM ...

:D

the lengths kc fans will go to avoid QBs is nigh amazing....Stafford, apparently, isn't even good enough to do a single impressive thing....

Yet you didn't bring up a single reason Stafford is worth a top-5 pick. Just insulted anyone who happens to disagree.

So again, what makes him worthy of being a top-5 pick.

MM
~~:hmmm:

beach tribe
12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
This argument really doesn't mean that Stafford is better though.
He is:D

the Talking Can
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, there is a reason I'm not a scout or GM ...

:D

Yet you didn't bring up a single reason Stafford is worth a top-5 pick. Just insulted anyone who happens to disagree.

So again, what makes him worthy of being a top-5 pick.

MM
~~:hmmm:

there is nothing I can say...you watched him and don't think he did a single impressive thing...i don't speak Martian...

Pitt Gorilla
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM

And if the next team didn't want to move up, they would do the same thing, and so on, and the entire NFL draft would be a bunch of teams sitting at tables waiting for someone to make the #1 pick when nobody wants to do it?The Niners should have done that with Alex Smith.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Stafford is the only QB, I've seen that looks like a top tier prospect.

Seriously what are you guys looking at when you watch him. Big, accurate, huge arm, good decisions, and puts the ball in spots that Bradford had never had to.

I'm not comparing the two. Never have. So I'm not sure why you think it has to be an either/or situation.

When I look at Stafford's production against top-flight teams (as compared to the Central Michigan's of the world), they're not that great. I sat there and watched him against Alabama and then against Florida. The first was a team defeat, to be sure, but against Florida the dude looked horrific. Just not the top of performance I would expect from a guy some think is the savior of Chiefs football.

MM

Mark M
12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
there is nothing I can say...you watched him and don't think he did a single impressive thing...i don't speak Martian...

Translation: I can't think of anything, either.

:p

If he's so great, there'd be something you could point to: A set of stats, a particular game where he showed why he should be picked so high, something.

Please ... prove to me that my eyes deceived me.

MM
~~:grovel:

BigRedChief
12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Detriot
Cincy
Seattle
Rams are all in front of us. We pick 5th again. Who's going to be the best 5th pick?

CoMoChief
12-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Bradford has played well in big games, Stafford hasn't.

ChiefsCountry
12-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Detriot
Cincy
Seattle
Rams are all in front of us. We pick 5th again. Who's going to be the best 5th pick?

Rams and Seahawks play each other so we move up.

BigRedChief
12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Rams and Seahawks play each other so we move up.
And we can some how let Cincy win against us we can move up to #3.:clap:

talastan
12-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Bradford (More worthy IMO than Stafford), Stafford (Maybe, the jury is still out on him.), Orakpo (My personal preference for the Chiefs), Oher (Though I'd trade down if offered the right deal for him), A. Smith (same as Oher). We don't really need a top tackle, when we can trade down and get a good MLB (Rey Rey, please), or a good DE.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Have you watched any of these games?

Bradford never faces any pressure, nor does he ever have to throw the ball down the field to a tightly covered receiver. Look at every throw he had against TT and OSU. He's under no pressure, gets to set up with all the time in the world, and gets to lob the ball to a wide open receiver who makes 3/4 of the yardage after the catch.

Fucking box score whores make me sick.

BigRedChief
12-05-2008, 02:16 PM

Bradford never faces any pressure, nor does he ever have to throw the ball down the field to a tightly covered receiver. Look at every throw he had against TT and OSU. He's under no pressure, gets to set up with all the time in the world, and gets to lob the ball to a wide open receiver who makes 3/4 of the yardage after the catch.

****ing box score whores make me sick.
But it's not his fault the OU line is sic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
1. Stafford
2. Oher
3. Orakpo
4. Monroe
5. Mays
6. Smith
7. Mauluga
8. Jenkins
9. Curry
10. Vontae Davis

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:19 PM
But it's not his fault the OU line is sic.

But it is his fault that the only time he faced pressure (the Texas game) he crapped the bed in the second half.

It also will affect his projection when you consider that only 1 spread QB has had any form of success in the NFL.

You'd think people would realize that QBs from a glorified run and shoot bust basically every time.

Chris Meck
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
The weakest position on the team at the moment would appear to be RDE. Those are worth a top 5 IF they're a dominant (note the correct spelling of dominant) player. A dominant player dominates, by the way. Just saying.

I really think Albert is doing just fine and I don't think it's smart to draft a LT and move one of them to a position that they may or may not excel at. I don't think any other offensive line position is worthy of that high a pick. I would CONSIDER a RT only if he was a multi-year starter with no questions and a physical marvel. And even then, it'd be a reach, but one I could live with just because it solves our second most obvious hole.

MLB maybe...if they're unquestionably a dominant player...

I don't think it's wise for KC to take a QB or CB there.

Just my opinion.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 02:25 PM

****ing box score whores make me sick.

Yeah, I don't get the Bradford love, either.

The only reason he's not immediately discounted with the likes of Harrell is because he plays at OU ... which some must think runs a traditional offense, rather than the spread.

Bradford, like Heupple (sp?) before him, is a product of a talent-rich team and dominating offensive line.

Which is one positive I can say for Stafford: GA's oline and receivers aren't really great, yet he's done fairly well.

MM

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I don't get the Bradford love, either.

The only reason he's not immediately discounted with the likes of Harrell is because he plays at OU ... which some must think runs a traditional offense, rather than the spread.

Bradford, like Heupple (sp?) before him, is a product of a talent-rich team and dominating offensive line.

Which is one positive I can say for Stafford: GA's oline and receivers aren't really great, yet he's done fairly well.

MM

Some dumbass earlier this week said Stafford's line (which has 3 freshmen on it) was the best in the SEC.

:rolleyes:

Bradford is a West Coast QB only in the NFL.

POND_OF_RED
12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Only players from the SEC deserve to go top 5.

ChiefsCountry
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Well Bradford isnt Heupel or White at all. Think about this him and Bomar are both draft prospects in the top 3 rounds. Stoops is getting some talent at QB.

chiefsfan4life1978
12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Other than the perception that a LB can't be taken in the top five, I would love to hear a good reason from someone who has watched the guy play, why Rey Maualuga shouldn't be taken with a top five pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Well Bradford isnt Heupel or White at all. Think about this him and Bomar are both draft prospects in the top 3 rounds. Stoops is getting some talent at QB.

And if Bomar didn't get pinched for what about every recruit does, Bradford is trying to score ass from 2nd rate Sooner cheerleaders.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Other than the perception that a LB can't be taken in the top five, I would love to hear a good reason from someone who has watched the guy play, why Rey Maualuga shouldn't be taken with a top five pick.

Because you can find impact middle linebackers much later in the draft, and despite what people want to believe, it's the third most important position on the defense, behind RDE and undertackle/3 technique.

Pitt Gorilla
12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
The weakest position on the team at the moment would appear to be RDE. Those are worth a top 5 IF they're a dominant (note the correct spelling of dominant) player. A dominant player dominates, by the way. Just saying.

I really think Albert is doing just fine and I don't think it's smart to draft a LT and move one of them to a position that they may or may not excel at. I don't think any other offensive line position is worthy of that high a pick. I would CONSIDER a RT only if he was a multi-year starter with no questions and a physical marvel. And even then, it'd be a reach, but one I could live with just because it solves our second most obvious hole.

MLB maybe...if they're unquestionably a dominant player...

I don't think it's wise for KC to take a QB or CB there.

Just my opinion.I've maintained that DE, OL, and LB are where we should initially focus. QB and WR are the next tier.

chiefsfan4life1978
12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Because you can find impact middle linebackers much later in the draft, and despite what people want to believe, it's the third most important position on the defense, behind RDE and undertackle/3 technique.

I understand your point but I think Maualuga is one of those "once every ten year guys" that if you have a need at his position, you have to take him because you have a real good chance to have a star at the MLB position, which is a beautiful thing for a defense

sedated
12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
based on chiefsplanet's past draft evaluations, I now hope the chiefs avoid every player listed on this thread.

the Talking Can
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Translation: I can't think of anything, either.

:p

If he's so great, there'd be something you could point to: A set of stats, a particular game where he showed why he should be picked so high, something.

Please ... prove to me that my eyes deceived me.

MM
~~:grovel:

i can point to lots of things, i can show his stats and how they've progressed each year, the 10 wins over ranked teams, the audibles he routinely calls, the throws he makes on the run into keyhole sized spaces, his 160 QB rating, his 5tds performance against GT, and on and on and on...i, and others, have done this in detail and ad nausaem...he's made great plays in every game this season, in numbers that far exceed the mistakes he has made...that's an objective fact...subjectively one only has to watch him to understand...

if you watched him this season and didn't see him do "a single impressive thing" then I don't have any hope, or reason, to convince you otherwise...

i'm happy for you to continue with such a lazy, uninformed opinion...and happy to have one less opinion to pay attention to on this board...

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I understand your point but I think Maualuga is one of those "once every ten year guys" that if you have a need at his position, you have to take him because you have a real good chance to have a star at the MLB position, which is a beautiful thing for a defense

I don't think he is. I don't even know if he's as good as Patrick Willis.

A lot of time LBs are only as good as the tackles in front of them. Ray Lewis was a pretty damned average player without Adams, Siragusa, or Haloti Ngata.

For all of his mouth running, Lewis is nowhere near the most important person on that D--Ngata is, and Urlacher is less important to the Bears than Harris, but that's a different argument.

A MLB will lose against a guard basically every time. We are overrating the importance of Mike backers because ours are so bad, just the way we overrated corners when we had Burntee and Warfield.

chiefsfan4life1978
12-05-2008, 03:12 PM

A lot of time LBs are only as good as the tackles in front of them. Ray Lewis was a pretty damned average player without Adams, Siragusa, or Haloti Ngata.

For all of his mouth running, Lewis is nowhere near the most important person on that D--Ngata is, and Urlacher is less important to the Bears than Harris, but that's a different argument.

A MLB will lose against a guard basically every time. We are overrating the importance of Mike backers because ours are so bad, just the way we overrated corners when we had Burntee and Warfield.

All very good points. I still think that Rey is the best college MLB I've ever seen, for what it's worth.

Mark M
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
i can point to lots of things, i can show his stats and how they've progressed each year, the 10 wins over ranked teams, the audibles he routinely calls, the throws he makes on the run into keyhole sized spaces, his 160 QB rating, his 5tds performance against GT, and on and on and on...i, and others, have done this in detail and ad nausaem...he's made great plays in every game this season, in numbers that far exceed the mistakes he has made...that's an objective fact...subjectively one only has to watch him to understand...

if you watched him this season and didn't see him do "a single impressive thing" then I don't have any hope, or reason, to convince you otherwise...

And I can point to his 3 INT game against Florida, his horrifically inconsistent game against Alabama, his losses against top ten teams throughout his three years, his inability to lead the pre-season #1 team to its conference championship, etc.

All I'm saying is that while he's a decent QB, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick. And for every stat you throw out, another one goes against him.

Seems to me that he's a top-tier pick because of a weak class this year -- when compared to other QBs coming out, his running of a pro-style offense pushes him over the top of the others. But other than that ... :shrug:

i'm happy for you to continue with such a lazy, uninformed opinion...and happy to have one less opinion to pay attention to on this board...
So anyone who dares to disagree with you is lazy and uninformed?

Good to see you have the maturity to disagree with someone without being a complete ****ing asshole about it.

Oh, wait ...

MM
~~:shake:

El Jefe
12-05-2008, 03:39 PM
All very good points. I still think that Rey is the best college MLB I've ever seen, for what it's worth.

Wow, I'm sorry you have had to watch such terrible players. Rey Rey is not that good. I would take AJ Hawk over him 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

milkman
12-06-2008, 07:55 AM

He made bad throws and bad decisions the one and only time he has ever faced any kind of pressure.

The one time he had a chance to show that he could perform under pressure, he choked.

milkman
12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
And I can point to his 3 INT game against Florida, his horrifically inconsistent game against Alabama, his losses against top ten teams throughout his three years, his inability to lead the pre-season #1 team to its conference championship, etc.

All I'm saying is that while he's a decent QB, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick. And for every stat you throw out, another one goes against him.

Seems to me that he's a top-tier pick because of a weak class this year -- when compared to other QBs coming out, his running of a pro-style offense pushes him over the top of the others. But other than that ... :shrug:

Good to see you have the maturity to disagree with someone without being a complete ****ing asshole about it.

Oh, wait ...

MM

Here's the thing.

Even Joe Montana, John Elway and Johnny Unitas (the three greatest pressure QBs ever, IMO) had their struggles against dominating defenses.

But they were guys who you knew could perform under pressure.

Matt Stafford, on the college level has shown that he also has that ability to make plays under pressure.

Yeah, he struggled against a couple of dominating defensive teams.
It's going to happen.

But he is a guy that has consistently shown he has that ability to make plays under pressure.

Hell, he's a guy that was consistently under pressure all season long.

And the fact that the Bulldogs were the preseason #1 team just illustrates how stupid the rankings are.

This was a team with freshmen O-Lineman, who then also lost their starting LT before the first game.

Early in the season, Knowshon Moreno had trouble getting into gear (I think he had one 100 yard game in the first 5 or 6).
He had inconsistent receivers.

Yet he carried that team through the first half.

milkman
12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Just checked.

Moreno had two 100 yard games in the first 5.

the Talking Can
12-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Oh, wait ...

MM

he is the team....how can you have watched them and claim otherwise?

use your own god damned eyes for **** sakes...you've seen their defense, you've seen their OL...so you claim...and you're complaining that they didn't win the SEC?

are you aware of the players they lost to injury?

This week, Georgia (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/24/AR2008102403278.html)squares off against Louisiana State, which is No. 16 in the nation in rushing defense. The Bulldogs, who have used four starting combinations this season, will go with the same group as last week: sophomore Clint Boling, at left tackle, freshman Cordy Glenn at left guard, freshman Ben Jones at center, redshirt sophomore Chris Davis at right guard and redshirt freshman Justin Anderson at right tackle. Seven of LSU's top eight defensive linemen are upperclassmen.

"When you look at it on paper," Georgia Coach Mark Richt told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution earlier this week, "it is pretty scary, to say the least."

The Bulldogs' front line has been decimated by injuries this season. Georgia lost its best offensive lineman, left tackle Trinton Sturdivant, in August to a season-ending knee injury. A knee injury also claimed the rest of tackle Vince Vance's season on Oct. 11.

Georgia's defense is 9th in the SEC against the pass, 7th against the run, and 10th in points allowed at 25.6 per game

fug, we can only draft QB that don't lose games or ever throw ints....

people just want excuses to not draft a QB...if Stafford isn't good enough then no one is..i mean this is crazy

again, if you haven't seen him do "a single impressive thing" then you're hopeless....even if all you did was look at his stats (which is all the true fans do) you'd have to be impressed..

i can't make you see what you refuse to see...he runs a pro-style offense, calls his own audibles, completes over 60% of his passes, averages almost 10 yards per pass, has 22tds to 9ints, and leads the SEC in passing yards per game at 280 while leading an offense that scores 32pts a game with 3 freshman on the OL...he's won 2 bowl games, beat 10 ranked teams, and on and on...

but, because he played 1 bad game this year against Florida, well, he sucks and isn't impressive....

it's just ****ing crazy

Brock
12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
"Matt Ryan isn't a franchise QB" /chiefsplanet

chiefzilla1501
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree. And that's why I think it's unfair that a lot of people have ripped on James Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis has had wildly inconsistent play from the DTs in front of him. Like Ray Lewis, he isn't nearly as effective when his tackles play poorly.

I've watched Laurinaitis quite a bit, and here's what I will tell you about him--he doesn't hit hard, but he knows how to wrap up and tackle. He is extremely smart and any time you see a tackle, you will always see him at least within 5 yards of the ball because he has a nose for the ball. He's got terrific sideline-to-sideline speed. And he's pretty good in coverage.

I think Maualuga would be a better fit because the Chiefs need the most help on run D, but you're absolutely right about not overevaluating MLBs who have great DTs in front and not underevaluating MLBs who have poor DTs in front. The one thing that really concerns me is that it sounds like Maualuga goes to the Bernard Pollard school of hard knocks. I don't give a shit about a MLB knocking the crap out of players. I just want to see our players wrap up and tackle. Guarantee a lot of guys Maualuga tries to hit hard with a kill shot will amount to him bouncing off bigger RBs like a pinball. If Gun is still our coach, I don't have any confidence that he can coach him out of those kinds of bad habits.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

We can agree to disagree on that. Different people will have different evaluations of players. As long as you can back up your claims with evidence, it's all cool.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree. And that's why I think it's unfair that a lot of people have ripped on James Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis has had wildly inconsistent play from the DTs in front of him. Like Ray Lewis, he isn't nearly as effective when his tackles play poorly.

I've watched Laurinaitis quite a bit, and here's what I will tell you about him--he doesn't hit hard, but he knows how to wrap up and tackle. He is extremely smart and any time you see a tackle, you will always see him at least within 5 yards of the ball because he has a nose for the ball. He's got terrific sideline-to-sideline speed. And he's pretty good in coverage.

I think Maualuga would be a better fit because the Chiefs need the most help on run D, but you're absolutely right about not overevaluating MLBs who have great DTs in front and not underevaluating MLBs who have poor DTs in front. The one thing that really concerns me is that it sounds like Maualuga goes to the Bernard Pollard school of hard knocks. I don't give a shit about a MLB knocking the crap out of players. I just want to see our players wrap up and tackle. Guarantee a lot of guys Maualuga tries to hit hard with a kill shot will amount to him bouncing off bigger RBs like a pinball. If Gun is still our coach, I don't have any confidence that he can coach him out of those kinds of bad habits.

With that being said, Laurinaitis didn't get the name "pile jumper" for nothing. I think he'll get eaten alive at the next level.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you have had to watch such terrible players. Rey Rey is not that good. I would take AJ Hawk over him 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

I would take AJ Hawk over him 0 days week and -8 times on Sunday.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Oh, wait ...

MM

Only one of his picks in the Florida game was even his fault (the short pass over the middle just past the 50 in the third quarter). The pick that broke Georgia's back, where Florida returned it to the 1 inch line was blatant PI that wasn't called.