PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV VHS to DVD

tmax63
12-07-2008, 11:00 AM
This has been discussed ad nauseum I'd assume but I will ask this question anyway. I have a couple hundred (original, not copies) VHS tapes that I'd would like to transfer to DVD. Is there an easy way to do it and does the copyright crap screw up the recording? I was also told by a sales guy in a store that VHS would last longer than a DVD would anyway. I don't know crap about consumer electronics and storage media so any advice would be appreciated. I do appreciate the many threads posted here on tv's and such since I will be buying one soon and the discussions here are entertaining and informative.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 11:23 AM
The sales guy is a fucking moron. VHS tapes will degrade over time. If you get decent DVD media, the dye will last far longer than VHS tapes.

Personally, what I would do if were you is get a TV tuner card for your PC. Hook your VCR up to the AV jack, and with your recording program, record the tape as an MPEG 2 file.

Once you are done with the tape, then you can use the DVD burner on your PC to burn a DVD that you can read in any DVD player. Use quality media, and you'll be fine for the long haul.

Boon
12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Hamas,
Do you have any recommendations for the card and software? Thanks.

tmax63
12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your input. I thought he was FOS but I don't know enough to call him out. I, too, would like suggestions for the hardware involved and try to remember, I'm a cheap bastard.

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Use Taiyo Yuden DVD's. Supermediastore.com has the best prices I've found.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your input. I thought he was FOS but I don't know enough to call him out. I, too, would like suggestions for the hardware involved and try to remember, I'm a cheap bastard.

If you are a cheap bastard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122221

If you need a DVD Burner, you have a couple of options (please respond w/ your computer specs, plz.)

For a newer comp (18 months or newer):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

For an older comp:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129023

And Taiyo media is good for archiving, but you'll probably be able to find Verbatim cheaper, and it's the best of the readily available media (they order all their discs from Mitsubishi, so they are of consistent quality).

tmax63
12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a Dell Dimension computer about 2 yrs. old.
Pentium 2.8 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM
140 GB hard drive, 100 GB free
DVD RW
I think that my computer has everything I need except the tuner card.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Yes, you have enough processing horsepower to easily do this.

pr_capone
12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I have a Dell Dimension computer about 2 yrs. old.
Pentium 2.8 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM
140 GB hard drive, 100 GB free
DVD RW
I think that my computer has everything I need except the tuner card.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE that I am no longer using.

I just finished copying over my wife's VHS tapes from about 10 years ago and am no longer recording Chiefs games to put up on torrents for the board.

All I had to do was hook up a VCR to the RCA jacks on the card, and with video editing software, I was easily able to make the transfer.

It uses a PCI slot (which you should have available).

$25 and its yours. I will pay for shipping.

ebay link to the only one of my model I could find. this one is new but the price tag is over $50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270313396706

google shopping:
http://www.google.com/products?q=WINTV-PVR-150MCE&oe=utf-8&scoring=p&show=dd&lnk=showlist

kpic
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I have an older Canopus internal card that I used for transfers. It was able to decode tapes with copy protection. Since you mentioned that you would be transferring tapes that are most likely macrovision protected - does anyone know if the internal tuner card can decode without issues?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I have an older Canopus internal card that I used for transfers. It was able to decode tapes with copy protection. Since you mentioned that you would be transferring tapes that are most likely macrovision protected - does anyone know if the internal tuner card can decode without issues?

I never had a problem doing it with any of the original ATI TV-Wonder cards.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Out of curiosity, doesn't it look like complete and utter dogshit after being transferred from an old VCR tape to DVD?

Pestilence
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Out of curiosity, doesn't it look like complete and utter dogshit after being transferred from an old VCR tape to DVD?

That's what I would think.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM

No worse than a standard TV broadcast.

I had to do it for a 14.5 hour long documentary for my thesis.

It was far better converting it to MPEG 2 and then burning it three times for the committee (on only 3 discs per person b/c the bitrate didn't have to be high) than it would have been dubbing 45 motherfucking hours of tape.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
No worse than a standard TV broadcast.

I had to do it for a 14.5 hour long documentary for my thesis.

It was far better converting it to MPEG 2 and then burning it three times for the committee (on only 3 discs per person b/c the bitrate didn't have to be high) than it would have been dubbing 45 motherfucking hours of tape.

Thanks