PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft That's it, I'm officially on the Brian Orakpo bandwagon

ILChief
12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Pay no attention to my avatar. Maualuga or Oher would be nice but this zero pass rush must stop.

Bowser
12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Who is better - Orakpo or that Johnson kid from Georgia Tech?

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
QB is still our #1 need.

Smed1065
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
New DC and Line coach?

milkman
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Who is better - Orakpo or that Johnson kid from Georgia Tech?

Orakpo has produced at a high level.
Johnson is all about untapped potential.

Johnson could conceivably be better if he ever played to the level of his talent, but for now, Orakpo is head and shoulders above him.

milkman
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
New DC and Line coach?

Yep.

Give me a DC and line coach that can teach, and know what a stunt is, and we might actually be able to produce some sacks.

Bowser
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Johnson could conceivably be better if he ever played to the level of his talent, but for now, Orakpo is head and shoulders above him.

On paper, Orakpo and Dorsey playing side by side would be outstanding. This is, of course, provided that Herm, Krummie, and Guhn are gone.

Direckshun
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM

That's about right.

Personally, I'm not sold on either with a Top 5 pick.

Darth CarlSatan
12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
QB is still our #1 need.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Fuck me; is it too late in life to renounce football and take up needle-point?

BigChiefFan
12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
We definitely need a pass rush. I like Orakpo, but we need more than just Dorsey and Orakpo to become competitive. The D-line is one of the worst I've ever seen. We can't stop the run or rush the passer. Herm dug us so far into a hole, we may be another couple of years before we are even competitive. Shit can the Tampa Two, as well.

milkman
12-07-2008, 08:14 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

**** me; is it too late in life to renounce football and take up needle-point?

No, it's not too late.

We won't stop ya.

Darth CarlSatan
12-07-2008, 08:17 PM
No, it's not too late.

We won't stop ya.

You won't help our defense either apparently.:rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
After watching Horseface, Marino, and Kelly bitchslap our great defenses in the 90s you would think you guys would learn what position is the most important.

Silock
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
QB is still our #1 need.

Assuming not much changes negatively about the offense we currently run, I don't see why QB is still number 1 need when we haven't had a sack since the stone age. I'm not saying QB isn't a need, but Thigpen has been doing decently so far. There are much worse places on this team than QB. It's not like we can't move the ball. What we CAN'T do, however, is STOP ANYONE.

Darth CarlSatan
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
After watching Horseface, Marino, and Kelly bitchslap our great defenses in the 90s you would think you guys would learn what position is the most important.

I'm not even going to touch that colossal statement of utter bullshit.

Clicking unsubscribe.

kcchiefsus
12-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Well considering we likely don't have a chance at Stafford it really doesn't matter. We will have to look elsewhere in the first round.

Thig Lyfe
12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
QB is still our #1 need.

No.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Assuming not much changes negatively about the offense we currently run, I don't see why QB is still number 1 need when we haven't had a sack since the stone age. I'm not saying QB isn't a need, but Thigpen has been doing decently so far. There are much worse places on this team than QB. It's not like we can't move the ball. What we CAN'T do, however, is STOP ANYONE.

yup agreed 100%, its bad when Gregg Robinson is laughing his ass off on how bad this chief defense is.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
No.

Thigpen isn't the answer either

Thig Lyfe
12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Thigpen isn't the answer either

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean QB is our #1 need.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not even going to touch that colossal statement of utter bullshit.

Clicking unsubscribe.

What teams beat us in the playoffs with our great defense? Miami, Denver, Buffalo.

kcchiefsus
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
So does anybody know enough about Orakpo to give a good evaluation of him? How does his game translate to the NFL? How is his first step/burst off the line? People compare him to Gholston in that he is a workout warrior but the difference I would hope to see between them is that Gholston has been labeled as lazy and as a player that took plays off. I would hope Orakpo gives it his all each and every play which would be a huge difference between him and Gholston. Also, Orakpo is not making a position change at this level.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM

If the BPA is a QB take him, it's as simple as that. Samething with OT, Albert may be good but he was having lapses in the 4th quarter so using the pick as the BPA is always ideal.

suds79
12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
If we go Orakpo, does that mean we'd be expecting him to have double digits sacks next year to save our horrid pass rush?

That's asking a lot IMO.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 08:44 PM
If the BPA is a QB take him, it's as simple as that. Samething with OT, Albert may be good but he was having lapses in the 4th quarter so using the pick as the BPA is always ideal.

Taking BPA isn't always ideal.

If you draft a left tackle that is only slightly better than Albert and you move Albert to Guard or Right Tackle, then you are basically using a top 5 pick on a guard or a right tackle.

It's as much about "value-add" as it is about drafting BPA. If the Patriots hypothetically went 0-16 this season without Brady, BPA would tell the Pats that they should use their #1 pick on Stafford. And that's just ridiculous.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
we can take a number of positions and be just fine ..... it's not like our talent cup runneth over anywhere.

QB
entire right side of our OLine
speed receiver

entire front 7 on defense
either safety position
a true #1 cornerback would even work

i'd say that only our kickers are really set

chiefzilla1501
If we go Orakpo, does that mean we'd be expecting him to have double digits sacks next year to save our horrid pass rush?

That's asking a lot IMO.

Yup. It's going to take more than just one guy. That's one of the main reasons I'm pushing for Peppers as a stopgap until we find two DEs that we believe can consistently bring pressure. That's what the Giants did. They knew they had two studs in Strahan and Umienyora, but they still drafted Tuck and Kiwanuka and both flourished in a rotational role. Now both are very solid starters at DE.

KCUnited
It's the offenses fault. /Week 6

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM

If you don't have a franchise QB, QB is always your #1 need.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Taking BPA isn't always ideal.

If you draft a left tackle that is only slightly better than Albert and you move Albert to Guard or Right Tackle, then you are basically using a top 5 pick on a guard or a right tackle.

No your using a LT for the BPA so a QB won't get killed, and one could say The #15 spot was used for a RT or OG.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
we can take a number of positions and be just fine ..... it's not like our talent cup runneth over anywhere.

QB
entire right side of our OLine
speed receiver

entire front 7 on defense
either safety position
a true #1 cornerback would even work

i'd say that only our kickers are really set

You should never take anyone who plays on on the right 3/5 of the line with a top 25, let alone a top 5 pick, and with our defense, we shouldn't take corners high either. Mays would be the only safety worthy of a top 12 pick in this year's draft, and there aren't any impact DTs this year.

suds79
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Yup. And we still don't have a franchise QB.

royr17
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Here's the thing. I'd love if the Chiefs could get Stafford but there's no way he is getting past Detroit. Forget it. After that who do you really have options for a QB. Really I could see Tim Tebow coming out to enter the draft but I see Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy staying in college. In order for KC to draft Tebow they have to have a pretty good RT and they just dont have that in McIntosh, so I dont think drafting Tebow would be the smartest decision for the Chiefs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
No your using a LT for the BPA so a QB won't get killed, and one could say The #15 spot was used for a RT or OG.

Which is retarded in and of itself.

Albert is playing a new position and has given up 3 sacks this year. 3. What in the name of fuck would make you think we need a left tackle, when the positions that we do need on the line can be found in the middle rounds?

royr17
Not having good Offensive Line ruins rookie QB's. Just ask David Carr.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's the thing. I'd love if the Chiefs could get Stafford but there's no way he is getting past Detroit. Forget it. After that who do you really have options for a QB. Really I could see Tim Tebow coming out to enter the draft but I see Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy staying in college. In order for KC to draft Tebow they have to have a pretty good RT and they just dont have that in McIntosh, so I dont think drafting Tebow would be the smartest decision for the Chiefs.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Your best tackle will always protect the QBs blindside. It's why Roaf moved to RT when Brooks was in New Orleans.

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Which is retarded in and of itself.

Albert is playing a new position and has given up 3 sacks this year. 3. What in the name of fuck would make you think we need a left tackle, when the positions that we do need on the line can be found in the middle rounds?

Why is it retarded, To secure the line with the BPA? We should we hope for on our lucky stars that a project will work out when we reach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM

Do you really think their line is all that much better? He was still a sack machine in Carolina. Carr held on to the ball too goddamned long. He couldn't read a defense. He was a horrible quarterback.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 08:53 PM

It ruined Peyton Manning eh......or Matt Ryan man he's blowing too....99% of the time you don't get to drop a QB into a perfect situation they either sink or swim....

suds79
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Maybe David Carr just wasn't good enough to cut it in the NFL?

wazu
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Yep. I have to admit I really didn't want us to draft Matt Ryan. He just felt like a reach as a top-5 pick. Lesson learned.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Some people need to learn, you start with the QB, you don't build the rest of your team then drop him in at the end.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 08:55 PM

No it wouldn't. You have a player already on the roster who can play just fine at LT. Therefore, it doesn't matter where he was drafted in 2007. It's a sunk cost.

Since LT is not a need in the 2009 draft, then drafting Oher would only be a function of filling another need on the o-line which woudl be guard or right tackle. Therefore, drafting Oher would be using a top 5 pick on a guard or right tackle.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
You should never take anyone who plays on on the right 3/5 of the line with a top 25, let alone a top 5 pick, and with our defense, we shouldn't take corners high either. Mays would be the only safety worthy of a top 12 pick in this year's draft, and there aren't any impact DTs this year.
did i say that ... did i say we should draft a RT at #5?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Why is it retarded, To secure the line with the BPA?

How many fucking times do people have to drill this into your skull. You don't even understand the concept of BPA. It doesn't apply in the top 5 because there are going to be a handful of elite prospects all of which are going to have remarkably similar draft grades. We have a LT. If we are picking top 3 (and we will) there are going to be other players who play positions just as valuable as LT that are more of a need for this team. We don't need to spend a top 5 pick on a LT for the same reason that we shouldn't be blowing picks on 3-4 nose tackles and ILBs regardless of whether or not they have the highest grade.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
did i say that ... did i say we should draft a RT at #5?

"We can take a number of positions and be fine".

Mr. Laz
12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Some people need to learn, you start with the QB, you don't build the rest of your team then drop him in at the end.

i think Mecca should be named emperor of the world so that everyone could learn from his greatness

Mecca
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
i think Mecca should be named emperor of the world so that everyone could learn from his greatness

It would help wouldn't it?

I just want to know why everyone is so gungho about trying to build the team in the image that never won us shit.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
"We can take a number of positions and be fine".
yes ....... we can take a number of positions in the draft and be just fine

save your lectures for someone who wants to hear it

'Hamas' Jenkins

I think people should realize that the only quarterbacks to have led this team to more than 1 win in the playoffs are Joe Montana and Len Dawson. But no, we are a fanbase of fucktards.

suds79
How many ****ing times do people have to drill this into your skull. You don't even understand the concept of BPA. It doesn't apply in the top 5 because there are going to be a handful of elite prospects all of which are going to have remarkably similar draft grades. We have a LT. If we are picking top 3 (and we will) there are going to be other players who play positions just as valuable as LT that are more of a need for this team. We don't need to spend a top 5 pick on a LT for the same reason that we shouldn't be blowing picks on 3-4 nose tackles and ILBs regardless of whether or not they have the highest grade.

Ah just give up. You're trying to argue with someone who's rally call is BPA and can't admit that some positions have greater value than others.

It's ridiculous and a waste of time.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I think people should realize that the only quarterbacks to have led this team to more than 1 win in the playoffs are Joe Montana and Len Dawson. But no, we are a fanbase of fucktards.

Yet these are the same people who laud the Titans who are everything the Chiefs were when they couldn't win....

milkman
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM

I can never, ever, stress enough that you are a fucking idiot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I can never, ever, stress enough that you are a fucking idiot.

You cannot give reputation to the same post twice.

ChiefsCountry
Marino - 2
Kelly - 2
Elway - 1
Manning - 2

Plus Harbaugh and Humphries (who led the Dolts to the Super Bowl somehow) that is who has beaten us in the playoffs. And other than the Manning years that was with our stud defense. Yet QB doesnt mean jack.

the Talking Can
QB is still our #1 need.

it absolutely is....but it doesn't matter, we both know where this train is headed....

the Talking Can
12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I think people should realize that the only quarterbacks to have led this team to more than 1 win in the playoffs are Joe Montana and Len Dawson. But no, we are a fanbase of ****tards.

THIS

kcchiefsus
12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd be absolutely fine with Stafford in the first but unless you want to give up our entire draft to get him I don't see it happening with him. So I don't see what the problem with Orakpo is.

I agree that QB likely should be our #1 need but unless Stafford falls to us what would you suggest we do? I don't see anybody else worth that pick at QB.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
The DE position this year reminds me of OT last year, lots of depth but no clear cut top guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I'd be absolutely fine with Stafford in the first but unless you want to give up our entire draft to get him I don't see it happening with him. So I don't see what the problem with Orakpo is.

I agree that QB likely should be our #1 need but unless Stafford falls to us what would you suggest we do? I don't see anybody else worth that pick at QB.

Funny enough, one of the guys that I know who is a Lions STH keeps talking about how all of their fans want Oher.

:grovel:

Oh, if only they were that stupid.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
We need Detroit to hire McDaniels and sign Cassel.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
if Stafford or Bradford are there when we pick i just don't see how we can afford to pass on them at this point.

:shrug:

it's sad because Carl,Herm and Dick are all still gonna be here to kill the kid too.

milkman
12-07-2008, 09:08 PM

I think you might need to rethink that somewhat.

Ideally, you would like to start at QB, but the fact is, there might not be a QB available.

If, however, a franchise QB is available you do whatever you can, within some reason, to get that QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
if Stafford or Bradford are there when we pick i just don't see how we can afford to pass on them at this point.

:shrug:

it's sad because Carl,Herm and Dick are all still gonna be here to kill the kid too.

I would absolutely pass on Sam Bradford.

royr17
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Jesus fucking Christ.

Your best tackle will always protect the QBs blindside. It's why Roaf moved to RT when Brooks was in New Orleans.

Hey man. Willie Roaf was the LT in New Orleans and Brooks was a right handed QB. Basically what im saying is. You dont move your starting LT to RT for a left handed QB, especially when they are used to playing LT. The case with Damion McIntosh is completely different then it is with Branden Albert. Albert is the teams LT, if the Chiefs are going to draft a left handed QB then need a very good RT to block for his blind side, which they need a very good RT anyways.

Tribal Warfare
Funny enough, one of the guys that I know who is a Lions STH keeps talking about how all of their fans want Oher.

Yep, that's what I've been hearing too, which is why I believe Stafford could fall because he will be over analyzed to death. Which would be awesome if that happened and Clark issuing the executive order to draft a QB.

Mecca

Ideally, you would like to start at QB, but the fact is, there might not be a QB available.

If, however, a franchise QB is available you do whatever you can, within some reason, to get that QB.

Well generally that's how it's gonna work, if you build it the other way you're going for game manager vet type of QB.

milkman
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM

This

chiefs1111
12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Well if Matt Millen was still there they would be that stupid...

RedThat
12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I find it amusing and funny how people on this board make it seem like it's "easy" to find RT. Like as if they know everything and the only thing that matters is their opinion and nobody elses.

you shouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a RT. Let alone a top 5 pick. Thats a bunch of bologny. Well, what if that RT turns out to be a hall of famer? Then what would you say? Gee it was stupid to waste a top 5 pick on that damn good RT.

Do you guys know there are some damn good RT's in this league that were 1st round picks? Heck some of them were even top 10 picks?

Let us not upgrade a position of importance because you know you shouldn't waste a top 5 pick on a RT and coincedentally we haven't a good one in like 5 years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I find it amusing and funny how people on this board make it seem like it's "easy" to find RT. Like as if they know everything and the only thing that matters is their opinion and nobody elses.

you shouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a RT. Let alone a top 5 pick. Thats a bunch of bologny. Well, what if that RT turns out to be a hall of famer? Then what would you say? Gee it was stupid to waste a top 5 pick on that damn good RT.

Do you guys know there are some damn good RT's in this league that were 1st round picks? Heck some of them were even top 10 picks?

Let us not upgrade a position of importance because you know you shouldn't waste a top 5 pick on a RT and coincedentally we haven't a good one in like 5 years.

When I think of the great teams in NFL history, the first thing that always comes to mind is play at right tackle. Far more so than quarterback, left tackle, RDE, or DT.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The only way I'd take a RT with a top 20 pick would be if I had a great QB and my offense was running 5 guys into routes every time and leaving the Oline alone with no help and I passed it 40 times a game.

kcchiefsus
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
The DE position this year reminds me of OT last year, lots of depth but no clear cut top guy.

Of course as it turns out last years OT class has been VERY good. Branden Albert, Ryan Clady, Jake Long, Sam Baker, and Duane Brown are all starting at left tackle for their franchises or at least started when healthy in the case of Baker. I believe most have done a pretty solid job.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 10:10 PM

From what I've seen, I would have to agree. Not with a top 5 pick, at least.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Because if a right tackle was a hall-of-famer, he would have been moved to left tackle at some point in his career.

Silock
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM

I'll agree with that. However, I think Trent Green proved that a slightly above average QB can work very well in a system where the O-line dominates the opposing team. The Chiefs D proves that week in and week out.

If the QBs are there, you take one. You don't reach for one simply because you penciled in QB as need #1.

We have plenty of holes to fill. And for me, the offense just isn't a problem right now. I think the defense is a much, much, MUCH bigger problem. And it's not even close in my mind.

Rigodan
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
So nobody knows anything about Orakpo then?