PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Maualuga v. Laurinaitis suited for 4-3 or 3-4?

Direckshun
12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
There's a nasty rumor floating around out there that Maualuga is more suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3, and that Laurinaitis is closer to a 4-3 MLB rather than a 3-4 ILB.

Which is odd, because I actually see them the other way around.

Was wondering if anybody could expound one way or the other on this.

Ebolapox
12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I see it the way you do.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
There's a nasty rumor floating around out there that Maualuga is more suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3, and that Laurinaitis is closer to a 4-3 MLB rather than a 3-4 ILB.

Which is odd, because I actually see them the other way around.

Was wondering if anybody could expound one way or the other on this.

I think there's some truth in that. W
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=2995887

I think Laurinaitis is faster than Maualuga and far better in pass coverage which, as the story explains, is more ideal for a 4-3 LB. The downfall is you have to realize that he'll be a Donnie Edwards type LB--he's a guy that will often be outmatched/outsized on tackles and a guy who might not be that great at shedding blocks. Maualuga > Laurinaitis at power/run-stopping, Laurinaitis > Maualuga in pass coverage/sideline-to-sideline speed.

ohiobronco2
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM

I think Laurinaitis is faster than Maualuga and far better in pass coverage which, as the story explains, is more ideal for a 4-3 LB. The downfall is you have to realize that he'll be a Donnie Edwards type LB--he's a guy that will often be outmatched/outsized on tackles and a guy who might not be that great at shedding blocks. Maualuga > Laurinaitis at power/run-stopping, Laurinaitis > Maualuga in pass coverage/sideline-to-sideline speed.

Great Post.

suds79
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Not to make this overly simplistic but this happens every draft. The over analyzing of players.

They're both the top MLBers in this draft and will be fine which ever system they end up in. 3-4 or 4-3. Doesn't matter.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Not to make this overly simplistic but this happens every draft. The over analyzing of players.

They're both the top MLBers in this draft and will be fine which ever system they end up in. 3-4 or 4-3. Doesn't matter.

But I think a lot of that over-analyzing makes sense. It's the reason you project guys like Gholston to be a DE/OLB in a 3-4, because you don't think he has nearly as much potential with his hands on the ground on every down as opposed to playing more of a falcon type role. Same with Merriman and Ware. I don't know that Merriman or Ware would have seen half the same success if they were drafted in a 4-3.

Fruit Ninja
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
in the end, coaches/gm's/scouts just have to go with their gut and what their defense is trying to do. Sometimes, players just fit into the scheme well and good things happen.

Personally, i want Rey. I really hope we draft him. IF not, then some DE help. Our Defense ends are horrible. I Seen some push up the middle a little today, but absolutely nothing from the ends. Our ends are always 1 on 1 and our tackles have to eat double teams.

Mecca
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Maualuga is more suited for it than Laurinaitis is which may be why some say it, Maualuga is a good blitzer so he can play in a 3-4 and do those types of things so he projects to both systems where Lauranaitis projects to 4-3 much more favorable than 3-4.

And in a pure straight line JL may be a little faster but he's not close in size or his ability to deal with blockers.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
USC plays the closest to a prostyle defense in college football. I think Maualuga can play the 4-3 just fine.

cdcox
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM

What happened to MLBs like Willie Lanier who could run from one sideline to another and knock the ball carrier to the ground. I'm sick of looking for LB that can "get deep enough" to play the cover 2. Let your safeties cover the deep stuff and let your MLB just block passing lanes, run to the ball, and kill people.

Cornstock
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Maybe not first round material...Maybe not even coming out this year...But I've been watching Mark Herzlich from Boston College the last couple of weeks and that dude is everywhere. He especially has a nose for the ball having something like 6 ints this year and he had 2 fumble recoveries yesterday. Im very impressed by him.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
What happened to MLBs like Willie Lanier who could run from one sideline to another and knock the ball carrier to the ground. I'm sick of looking for LB that can "get deep enough" to play the cover 2. Let your safeties cover the deep stuff and let your MLB just block passing lanes, run to the ball, and kill people.

My guess is that as the speed and power of the game has increased, it becomes harder and harder and harder to find any LB that's the complete package. That's why RBs are usually either short, explosive, and shifty like LT or big and powerful like Brandon Jacobs. If not, they have half the size of a Jacobs and half of the shiftiness of LT making for a compromise, like LJ.

As players became faster and stronger, there has become a trade-off. You have to either go for the guy with speed or go with the guy who has power. That's pretty much what's going on here.

booger
12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Either for RM.

43 for JL. He might be more of a OLB to some teams as well. Depends on who those DT's are in front of him. But I don't see him as a fit for a 34

booger
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Quick ? for Mecca.

Your thoughts on Brian Cushing as a MLB in a 43.

booger
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Think Stewart Bradley of the Eagles

Mecca
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Quick ? for Mecca.

Your thoughts on Brian Cushing as a MLB in a 43.

Um he could do it, he did it for a game when Maualuga was injured this year and played fine but I prefer him as a outside backer because he's a good blitzer and has a very good all around game.

booger
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Um he could do it, he did it for a game when Maualuga was injured this year and played fine but I prefer him as a outside backer because he's a good blitzer and has a very good all around game.

Depends on where he winds up being picked but it might be something to look at.

You are right though more than likely he gets picked to play OLB.

milkman
12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I think Brandon Spikes might well end up being a more complete LB than both.

booger
12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Jasper Brinkley from that other USC school...........Who has seen S. carolina play or knows anything about this fella. 6'2 275 MLB.

Chiefnj2
12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I think Brandon Spikes might well end up being a more complete LB than both.

Were you really impressed with Spikes on Saturday?

Buehler445
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
USC runs a 4-3 right?

booger
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
no 4-3 left

'Hamas' Jenkins
USC runs a 4-3 right?

They basically run the Tampa 2. Maualuga can play in any system. Laurinaitis can't.

milkman
Were you really impressed with Spikes on Saturday?

I didn't get to see much of yesterday's game.

I've just been impressed by his play throughout the season.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2008, 10:07 PM
They basically run the Tampa 2. Maualuga can play in any system. Laurinaitis can't.

While that's true, Maualuga will thrive more in a defense where he won't be asked too do too much coverage and Laurinaitis will thrive in a system that will ask him to do a lot of coverage. If we're talking about a 4-3, the preference for the LB depends on what kind of defense you want to run and what you want your LB to do within that defense.

Brock
12-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't think 4-3 vs. 3-4 will make any difference at all to Maulauga.

blaise
12-08-2008, 07:39 AM
The Chiefs need a guy like Maualuga to give them some identity on defense. I think he would almost instantly be the leader on D if he was here.

mylittlepony
12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I love Maualuga and I would get him just for his pure athletic talent and attitude but I dont think he is fast enough to play mike in a cover 2 in the pros. Laurenitis is. Now dont bash me Im no Laurenitis fan (in fact I think he might drop out of the first), I just dont see Maualuga having the speed required to really prosper. I think if we draft a player we want to put him in the best possible situation to use his talents and Cover 2 MLB is not it for Maualuga.

CoMoChief
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
USC plays the closest to a prostyle defense in college football. I think Maualuga can play the 4-3 just fine.

:spock:

Define what a prostyle defense is please.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
i don't think Maualuga is a cover 2 MLB

money that if we do draft him that he gets move to strong side and DJ stays in the middle.

a cover 2 MLB basically needs to be a oversized strong safety.

has to stay at home long enough to read run/pass and then still fast enough to drop to the deep 1/3 to cover a tightend running down the seam.

that's why they move DJ to middle imo

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
i don't think Maualuga is a cover 2 MLB

That is what USC plays.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
That is what USC plays.
so .... there's a completely different level of speed needed to run a cover 2 in college vs NFL

he'd be a strong side linebacker for us imo

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
so .... there's a completely different level of speed needed to run a cover 2 in college vs NFL

he'd be a strong side linebacker for us imo

So you want him to cover the tight end now? :shake: He is a natural middle linebacker and will play it in the pros.

CoMoChief
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
So you want him to cover the tight end now? :shake: He is a natural middle linebacker and will play it in the pros.

This is the same problem we had with Kendrelll Bell.

blaise
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
You know what he is though? A Football Player, something the Chiefs don't have enough of.

mylittlepony
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM

Absolutly, just hopefully not in a cover 2 system.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I love Maualuga and I would get him just for his pure athletic talent and attitude but I dont think he is fast enough to play mike in a cover 2 in the pros. Laurenitis is. Now dont bash me Im no Laurenitis fan (in fact I think he might drop out of the first), I just dont see Maualuga having the speed required to really prosper. I think if we draft a player we want to put him in the best possible situation to use his talents and Cover 2 MLB is not it for Maualuga.

Well perhaps if we dropped this utter nonsense that Herm likes to call defense, and get back to playing Chiefs Defense, many of these points will be moot due to actually producing results and winning games.

C2, in all it's horrid and useless variations, is the King Supreme Pile Of Shit of NFL Defense.

mylittlepony
12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Well perhaps if we dropped this utter nonsense that Herm likes to call defense, and get back to playing Chiefs Defense, many of these points will be moot due to actually producing results and winning games.

C2, in all it's horrid and useless variations, is the King Supreme Pile Of Shit of NFL Defense.

Where do I sign on?

Im mearly saying I want to see the chiefs put their players in the best positions to become great. C2 isnt it for Ray. I would love to have him play in the middle of this D, but then like you say we need to scrap the C2 or use it alot less.

Brock
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
You can run whatever system you want, if there is no pass rush it's going to suck.

Cornstock
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
You can run whatever system you want, if there is no pass rush it's going to suck.

amen

RedThat
12-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Nah...Really?

Are you serious? you must be joking..cmon man i didnt know that?

can a car run without an engine? can a building stand without a foundation?

Brock
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Nah...Really?

Are you serious? you must be joking..cmon man i didnt know that?

can a car run without an engine? can a building stand without a foundation?

It's just my response to all of this "we should stop running whatever system this is" BS. Don't allow it to stop your simple-minded arguments, though.

RedThat
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
It's just my response to all of this "we should stop running whatever system this is" BS. Don't allow it to stop your simple-minded arguments, though.

lol i know..im just in smart ass mood;)

but i agree with ya

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
USC plays freaking cover 2 and Maualuga plays it fine. USC is the best linebacking producing school in the nation right now. He will be fine at that position in the NFL. Good grief people get a clue.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. And if that pass-rush is NOT coming up the middle; even better.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Why is this board so obsessed with Maualuga and Laurinaitis? They're both going to be middle to late 1st round picks and are ridiculous reaches for a top 3/5 pick.

Aaron Curry is miles ahead of both, and is the only LB that should be talked about as a realistic option for us at this point.

El Jefe
12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
USC plays freaking cover 2 and Maualuga plays it fine. USC is the best linebacking producing school in the nation right now. He will be fine at that position in the NFL. Good grief people get a clue.

You aren't reading what people are saying. It doesn't matter if he plays a cover 2 now, people are saying they think he will be too slow to play a cover 2 in the pro's. Mecca said JL is more straight line fast than Rey, that is putting it way to optimistically. JL is twice as fast as Rey, in side line to side line, and in straight 40 yard dash speed. I like both of them, but I have no doubt's in JL's game. It all depends on what's your flavor with those two guys, both very good players. I would rather have JL, but that's me.

El Jefe
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Why is this board so obsessed with Maualuga and Laurinaitis? They're both going to be middle to late 1st round picks and are ridiculous reaches for a top 3/5 pick.

Aaron Curry is miles ahead of both, and is the only LB that should be talked about as a realistic option for us at this point.

OMG dude, seriously I have read some dumb stuff, but come on. JL is a three time All-American, Rey is an absolute beast. JL and Rey are the two best LB's in the country, period. Both will go before 15, Curry at 3-5 LMAO LMAO.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
OMG dude, seriously I have read some dumb stuff, but come on. JL is a three time All-American, Rey is an absolute beast. JL and Rey are the two best LB's in the country, period. Both will go before 15, Curry at 3-5 LMAO LMAO.

Jesus you're a moron.

El Jefe
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Jesus you're a moron.

That's what Im saying. Curry is not on JL and Rey's level.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
That's what Im saying. Curry is not on JL and Rey's level.

Good for you. People that actually follow the draft for a living disagree with you.

El Jefe
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Good for you. People that actually follow the draft for a living disagree with you.

Oh, that's hilarious. I'd rather go with a proven commodity on a real defense than a 3 year starter on a mediocre defense. Curry wouldn't start on either OSU or USC's defense. But you are the all knowing draft god, so you'll just say something sarcastic, and say I don't know what I'm talking about. Curry is good I'm not denying that, but better than Rey Rey, and JL, bitch please.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh, that's hilarious. I'd rather go with a proven commodity on a real defense than a 3 year starter on a mediocre defense. Curry wouldn't start on either OSU or USC's defense. But you are the all knowing draft god, so you'll just say something sarcastic, and say I don't know what I'm talking about. Curry is good I'm not denying that, but better than Rey Rey, and JL, bitch please.

Yes, because we all know the most well-known players that play on high-profile college teams always end up being the best NFL players. ROFL

Scott Wright currently has Aaron Curry as the #2 overall player on his board - not #2 LB, but the #2 overall player. He's higher than Rey and Laurinaitis on almost every other respectable draft board as well.

RustShack
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Doesn't Curry have a lot of tackles? He has to be the best! :)

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, because we all know the most well-known players that play on high-profile college teams always end up being the best NFL players. ROFL

Scott Wright currently has Aaron Curry as the #2 overall player on his board - not #2 LB, but the #2 overall player. He's higher than Rey and Laurinaitis on almost every other respectable draft board as well.

In the interest of full disclosure:

The Scott Wright board you're speaking of is for Seniors only.

And honestly, as big a fan as I am of Wright's work, I have a hard time taking his rankings serious when he has Malcolm Jenkins ranked 1st...

Mr. Laz
12-08-2008, 04:36 PM
go fuck yourself

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 04:50 PM
In the interest of full disclosure:

The Scott Wright board you're speaking of is for Seniors only.

Sure, but that is irrelevant in a discussion about Curry, Laurinaitis, and Maualuga, as all three are seniors.

And honestly, as big a fan as I am of Wright's work, I have a hard time taking his rankings serious when he has Malcolm Jenkins ranked 1st...

I think Jenkins is a damn good CB prospect, and Scott Wright is one of the most respected draft gurus outside of Kiper and Mayock.

My whole point here is that Maualuga and Laurinaitis are not the be all, end all of LB prospects this board tends to make them out to be. They will both be mid to late 1st round picks.

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Sure, but that is irrelevant in a discussion about Curry, Laurinaitis, and Maualuga, as all three are seniors.

I think Jenkins is a damn good CB prospect, and Scott Wright is one of the most respected draft gurus outside of Kiper and Mayock.

My whole point here is that Maualuga and Laurinaitis are not the be all, end all of LB prospects this board tends to make them out to be. They will both be mid to late 1st round picks.

Even as a Buckeye fan, I have to disagree. I think he will be playing safety on Sundays.

KChiefs1
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd take Orakpo or Maualuga in the first round.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd take Maualuga in the first round.

FYP.

LiL stumppy
12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Laurinaitis would be a decent Cover 2 LB IMO. Whereas Rey could struggle some more.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Laurinaitis would be a decent Cover 2 LB IMO. Whereas Rey could struggle some more.
get a clue /chiefscountry

Mecca
12-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Maualuga playing strong side.....you are aware that he weighs about 260lbs right? And Lauarinaitis can be faster all he wants that doesn't change that he isn't nearly as physical and I think will have a much harder time dealing with the run blocking schemes in the NFL...I expect to see him get completely blown out of alot of plays just due to his smaller size.

Rey Maualuga is not lasting until the last 1st round...he can play in 4-3 and 3-4 teams aren't just going to let him pass on by, San Diego would take him if he dropped very much.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Maualuga playing strong side.....you are aware that he weighs about 260lbs right? And Lauarinaitis can be faster all he wants that doesn't change that he isn't nearly as physical and I think will have a much harder time dealing with the run blocking schemes in the NFL...I expect to see him get completely blown out of alot of plays just due to his smaller size.

Rey Maualuga is not lasting until the last 1st round...he can play in 4-3 and 3-4 teams aren't just going to let him pass on by, San Diego would take him if he dropped very much.And I would vomit my soul up if the Chiefs allow that to happen.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't understand this Aaron Curry obsession you should be able to get a LB like him in the middle rounds.....

If anyone takes a traditional outsider backer like that with a top 15 pick people are going to snicker. LB's like him are a devalued position, he's not a special freak that warrants special consideration.

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Rey Maualuga is not lasting until the last 1st round...he can play in 4-3 and 3-4 teams aren't just going to let him pass on by, San Diego would take him if he dropped very much.

240 LBS isn't small. Sure he isn't as big as Rey, but James would be nearly as big as any LB on your team. The great Patrick Willis is of similar build. They both have valuable skill set. Frankly, I know that the team that drafts James is going to get a very solid athlete, who is dedicated to his profession, has great instincts and will never get into trouble off of the field. He will be better in coverage, rarely gamble and will make sound plays.. He does have trouble shedding blocks. Rey is very physical, but I've seen him overpursue and be over aggressive at times when I've watched him play. He does put the fear of God into opposing QB's however. You won't go wrong either way.

Direckshun
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Growing more comfortable with Maualuga with a #5ish pick...

My preferences at this juncture... these are the only people I would conceivably want right now at #5:

1. Stafford
2. Oher
3. Monroe
4. Maualuga
5. Smith
6. Mays

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't understand this Aaron Curry obsession you should be able to get a LB like him in the middle rounds.....

If anyone takes a traditional outsider backer like that with a top 15 pick people are going to snicker. LB's like him are a devalued position, he's not a special freak that warrants special consideration.

Well then I just lost a lot of respect for your knowledge on the draft, as someone like you should realize that a LB with his combination of size and speed is very rare. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you either haven't watched much of him or are just uninformed.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Well then I just lost a lot of respect for your knowledge on the draft, as someone like you should realize that a LB with his combination of size and speed is very rare. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you either haven't watched much of him or are just uninformed.

You do understand that traditional OLB's are devalued right? Unless the guy is a pass rusher they tend to fall....

It's the case because for every player like Derrick Johnson that went in the top 15, there are late 1st rounders like Keith Bulluck and mid round picks like Lance Briggs.

Start going through and see how often a traditional OLB goes high it's rare..and Aaron Curry isn't the college player AJ Hawk was.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Growing more comfortable with Maualuga with a #5ish pick...

My preferences at this juncture... these are the only people I would conceivably want right now at #5:

1. Stafford
2. Oher
3. Monroe
4. Maualuga
5. Smith
6. Mays

Yes; let the comfort sink in. Let it take you away to a happy place where KC has a real defense again, Playboy Bunnies bring you free micro-brew to your seat in the stands, and demand that you inspect their goods before drinking.
Let it sink in, and spread the word. We can do this; we can live the dream!

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 07:22 PM
You do understand that traditional OLB's are devalued right? Unless the guy is a pass rusher they tend to fall....

It's the case because for every player like Derrick Johnson that went in the top 15, there are late 1st rounders like Keith Bulluck and mid round picks like Lance Briggs.

Start going through and see how often a traditional OLB goes high it's rare..and Aaron Curry isn't the college player AJ Hawk was.

He's damn close to AJ Hawk, and you would know that if you ever took the time to watch him, which you obviously haven't. He's faster than both Rey and JL and has the frame to be bigger and stronger than them too. People aren't talking about him much because he plays on a crap team in a crap conference, but his playmaking ability is exactly what NFL teams want in a LB.

Curry is going to really explode at the combine, and I'm going to bump this thread and laugh when he is drafted ahead of both Maualuga and Laurinaitis.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I'd hope he's faster since he's on the outside.....that'll be nice that he goes higher than them, I'll still laugh at the team that does it because I don't even think he's the same prospect as Keith Rivers who went at 9.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
You're right, they're not the same, considering Curry is bigger, faster, and stronger than Rivers. You'd have more credibility on here if you weren't such an obvious USC homer.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes I just love every player who ever attended SC and think they'll all be superstars!

It just makes me laugh that we're having a conversation about Aaron Fucking Curry, teams that need core players shouldn't be drafting guys who play complimentary positions with their first pick.

eazyb81
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
And it makes me laugh that you tout yourself as some sort of a draft guru and you seriously don't know how good Aaron Curry is. But I guaran f'n tee that once Kiper, Mayock, McShay, and everyone else start hyping him and moving him up their board, you will be on here acting like you have loved him the whole time.

Curry is a complete LB - he has the size, speed, strength, and instincts to be a playmaker on the outside or inside. He's definitely going to end up being the consensus #1 LB and most will have him as the #1 defensive player on the board.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
That's great I wouldn't take a OLB with a top 10 pick unless he was DeMarcus Ware who wouldn't be a LB in a 4-3.

I'd take Vontae Davis before I took Aaron Curry.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
You're right, they're not the same, considering Curry is bigger, faster, and stronger than Rivers. You'd have more credibility on here if you weren't such an obvious USC homer.

Mecca is NOT a USC homer; trust me. I can't even get him to entertain the possibility of Sanchez as a Chief( which I feel is extremely short-sighted ).

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Mecca is NOT a USC homer; trust me. I can't even get him to entertain the possibility of Sanchez as a Chief( which I feel is extremely short-sighted ).

I don't think Mark is coming out this year so I don't really discuss that realistically, I think he is the longest shot of any of the underclassmen to come out.

chief52
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Sanchez will not come out this year...

Hey Mecca...see Rey's hair? Like I told you before, he is keeping it much shorter. Nothing like his first couple of years.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Sanchez will not come out this year...

Hey Mecca...see Rey's hair? Like I told you before, he is keeping it much shorter. Nothing like his first couple of years.

Don't worry once he gets to the NFL he'll look like Polamalu...oh wait, now I know the Chiefs won't draft Maualuga they were the team bitching about Polamalu's hair.

chief52
12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Don't worry once he gets to the NFL he'll look like Polamalu...oh wait, now I know the Chiefs won't draft Maualuga they were the team bitching about Polamalu's hair.

Who knows. I would love to see him as a Chief though. But the Chief's #1 will be too high and he will not be there when their #2 rolls around. They would have to trade up...and that is scary.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM

They had all those douchebag corners with long hair and Wesley.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I could actually see the Chiefs moving Maualuga down their board saying his hair is unprofessional after that shit they pulled last year.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
They had all those douchebag corners with long hair and Wesley.

Wesleys hair touched his jersey kind of like Bowes does...they were bitching that Polamalu's hair covers his name...Reys likely would too...

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't think Mark is coming out this year so I don't really discuss that realistically, I think he is the longest shot of any of the underclassmen to come out.

I'll take Rey and Defensive Upgrades, and O-Linemen today, and pick up Mark tomorrow.

I'll wait for Sanchez because every time I see film of the guy, his fundamentals and technique are ALWAYS on.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll take Rey and Defensive Upgrades, and O-Linemen today, and pick up Mark tomorrow.

I'll wait for Sanchez because every time I see film of the guy, his fundamentals and technique are ALWAYS on.

Nah Mark sucks, dudes here on the planet told me so.

I will admit I think it is a bit embarrassing when the QB of my college team takes more snap from under center, has better footwork and runs a more pro style offense than my pro team does...

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Nah Mark sucks, dudes here on the planet told me so.

I will admit I think it is a bit embarrassing when the QB of my college team takes more snap from under center, has better footwork and runs a more pro style offense than my pro team does...

I know this pretty silly, but he's the only college QB I've seen, that I can actually get a picture in my minds eye of him playing on an NFL field and getting something done.

Glad you mentioned the footwork; I was getting ready to go there myself. I think he'll be great no matter where he goes.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Marks tough stands in, takes hits to make his throws, is elusive in the pocket to avoid guys. His footwork is very good, he's excellent in 5 and 7 step drops..all the little things are there.

He won't get any major hype around here cause he's on SC so obviously he's "overrated" and he doesn't have a bunch of pretty Bradford stats. I'm sure any OU fan would be pissed if I said Sanchez was a better prospect.

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I know this pretty silly, but he's the only college QB I've seen, that I can actually get a picture in my minds eye of him playing on an NFL field and getting something done.

Glad you mentioned the footwork; I was getting ready to go there myself. I think he'll be great no matter where he goes.

For once, we're in complete agreement.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Is this because USC runs a pro offense so he's about the only QB at a major program you see throwing routes and doing things you see done in the NFL?

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Marks tough stands in, takes hits to make his throws, is elusive in the pocket to avoid guys. His footwork is very good, he's excellent in 5 and 7 step drops..all the little things are there.

He won't get any major hype around here cause he's on SC so obviously he's "overrated" and he doesn't have a bunch of pretty Bradford stats. I'm sure any OU fan would be pissed if I said Sanchez was a better prospect.

Having worked for, and stood toe to toe with Bobby Bell and Neil Smith, I can tell you without a doubt that Bradford won't even be lunch for NFL Linebackers; he'll be a snack.
:toast:

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I hope we don't draft Sanchez, that would make the Leinart pick look good.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I hope we don't draft Sanchez, that would make the Leinart pick look good.

Well see unlike Leinart, Sanchez has a plus arm.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry Mecca, another overhyped SC QB.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry Mecca, another overhyped SC QB.

Yea just like Carson Palmer right.....I love hearing "another" 50/50 is better than most schools can boast.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Is this because USC runs a pro offense so he's about the only QB at a major program you see throwing routes and doing things you see done in the NFL?

It's that, and just a gut-feeling I get with him that I don't get elsewhere. An intangible to be sure, but there nonetheless.

L.A. Chieffan
Yea just like Carson Palmer right.....I love hearing "another" 50/50 is better than most schools can boast.

Todd Marinovich and Rob Johnson FTW

OnTheWarpath58

Hypothetical:

If he came out, (which we know he's not likely to) where would you project him this year?

Mecca
Todd Marinovich and Rob Johnson FTW

Guys from the 80s don't count that's so far removed from this current staff..and for the record, Rob Johnson was drafted in the 4th round.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
And Carson Palmer can die of gonerhea and burn in hell, he fucked up my fantasy team big time this year.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Hypothetical:

If he came out, (which we know he's not likely to) where would you project him this year?

I think he'd be projected after Stafford because he's only started 1 year but he has much better tools than Bradford does I think he'd be the 2nd best QB and projected anywhere from 2-10.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Guys from the 80s don't count that's so far removed from this current staff..and for the record, Rob Johnson was drafted in the 4th round.

Marinovich was an overhyped QB that "attended" SC. Am I wrong? And Rob Johnson may have been drafted in the 4th or whatever but the Bills gave him a zillion dollars pretty much because of his college pedigree, certainly not for what he did in the NFL

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Matt Cassel was drafted STRICTLY because he went to SC. How many BACKUP QBs get drafted in the NFL?

Whoever pays Cassel Rob Johnson money this offseason is gonna be in for a fucking rude awakening.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Matt Cassel was drafted STRICTLY because he went to SC. How many BACKUP QBs get drafted in the NFL?

Whoever pays Cassel Rob Johnson money this offseason is gonna be in for a fucking rude awakening.

Ok so everyone from SC sucks now then.

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I think he'd be projected after Stafford because he's only started 1 year but he has much better tools than Bradford does I think he'd be the 2nd best QB and projected anywhere from 2-10.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I almost asked you if he did declare, would you take him at 5 instead...

You can say I'm against drafting a QB high all you want, but if Sanchez declared, I'd be pimping him the way you and Hamas are pimping Stafford.

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok so everyone from SC sucks now then.

HAHA fucking with Mecca rules

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM

You can say I'm against drafting a QB high all you want, but if Sanchez declared, I'd be pimping him the way you and Hamas are pimping Stafford.

I mean I guess he could declare but it would completely shock me if it happened. If he goes back he'll have a shot to be the #1 pick next year.

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Frankly, Carson Palmer hasn't been THAT great. I know he's been bitten by the injury bug, but he has only had 1 great season. He also has great weapons on his team. Hopefully he has a better 2nd half of his career.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
You know I actually had a friend of mine turn to me during an SC game and say "I know you're an SC fan but do you think this guy has any shot in the NFL he throws like a girl and has a shit arm"

I was floored by this mans retardation.

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I mean I guess he could declare but it would completely shock me if it happened. If he goes back he'll have a shot to be the #1 pick next year.

Nah, I'm not expecting him to declare at all. I'd actually be shocked.

Well, and thrilled.

Just wanted to see if we were on the same page regarding his value.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
You know I actually had a friend of mine turn to me during an SC game and say "I know you're an SC fan but do you think this guy has any shot in the NFL he throws like a girl and has a shit arm"

I was floored by this mans retardation.

ROFL

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Frankly, Carson Palmer hasn't been THAT great. I know he's been bitten by the injury bug, but he has only had 1 great season. He also has great weapons on his team. Hopefully he has a better 2nd half of his career.

chief52
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM

I agree with you on statement one...he will not come out this year.

On statement two...I do not see him having a shot at the #1 selection. He is very good, but not that good in my mind. I watch a lot of SC games and have kept an eye on Sanchez and Rey since they played together in the Army All Star game. I think Sanchez will definitely have a shot in the NFL, but surely do not see him as a #1 pick.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I agree with you on statement one...he will not come out this year.

On statement two...I do not see him having a shot at the #1 selection. He is very good, but not that good in my mind. I watch a lot of SC games and have kept an eye on Sanchez and Rey since they played together in the Army All Star game. I think Sanchez will definitely have a shot in the NFL, but surely do not see him as a #1 pick.

He will almost assuredly be the #1 QB in next years class...USC will once again be a national title contender he should improve in his 2nd year starting..

He does have a legit shot at being the 1st pick.

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Trust me, I consulted that before I posted what I did above. I watched Cincy play for years, since I grew up there. Carson had an amazing season in 2005 and a pretty solid season in 2006. Obviously you throw out his rookie season. Unfortunately 2007 he was recovering a serious injury and he hasn't been able to stay healthy this year. He's had some bad luck and unfortunately plays on a team with problems from top to bottom. All these factors are keeping him from the greatness that he could have. Not saying it is his fault, but I don't put him in the category of Manning, Brees, or Brady. Just like I don't put TD on a pedistal with Payton, Smith or Sanders, because he was only great for a few years.

chiefzilla1501
12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Trust me, I consulted that before I posted what I did above. I watched Cincy play for years, since I grew up there. Carson had an amazing season in 2005 and a pretty solid season in 2006. Obviously you throw out his rookie season. Unfortunately 2007 he was recovering a serious injury and he hasn't been able to stay healthy this year. He's had some bad luck and unfortunately plays on a team with problems from top to bottom. All these factors are keeping him from the greatness that he could have. Not saying it is his fault, but I don't put him in the category of Manning, Brees, or Brady. Just like I don't put TD on a pedistal with Payton, Smith or Sanders, because he was only great for a few years.

The one thing Palmer doesn't have that the others do is pocket recognition. Palmer has to have blocking up-front or else he's screwed. He's a less extreme version of Bledsoe.

While Brady and Manning were largely blessed with great offensive lines, they are also really outstanding at knowing how to move around the pocket--there's a misconception that you have to be fast to move well in the pocket. Not true, and those two guys are a great example of that.

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM

2006 was just solid?

Uh, OK.

62% completion, 4000+ yards, 28TD/13INT - all playing behind a porous OL that allowed 36 sacks that year - the most in Palmer's career.

Darth CarlSatan
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Somebody just chucked a beer cup at Steve Young; AWESOME!
ROFL

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 09:59 PM
2006 was just solid?

Uh, OK.

62% completion, 4000+ yards, 28TD/13INT - all playing behind a porous OL that allowed 36 sacks that year - the most in Palmer's career.

Jay Cutler has put up similar numbers this year, do you consider him great? The reason why Palmer took so many sacks, is because he is almost as immobile as Peyton Manning. Willie Anderson, Levi Jones and Eric Steinbach provided decent protection, from what I saw with my own two eyes on every Sunday (note I watched every week) was Palmers inability to avoid sacks and hold the ball to long.

OnTheWarpath58
12-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Jay Cutler has put up similar numbers this year, do you consider him great?

Cutler has been a starter for not even 2 full years. If he puts up 4000+, 28TD/13 INT, etc - then yeah, I'd consider him an elite QB. He's well on his way.

The reason why Palmer took so many sacks, is because he is almost as immobile as Peyton Manning. Willie Anderson, Levi Jones and Eric Steinbach provided decent protection, from what I saw with my own two eyes on every Sunday (note I watched every week) was Palmers inability to avoid sacks and hold the ball to long.

So, why was he holding the ball so long THAT season, but not in the others?

He took half the number of sacks in the year previous, and the year after.

chief52
12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
He will almost assuredly be the #1 QB in next years class...USC will once again be a national title contender he should improve in his 2nd year starting..

He does have a legit shot at being the 1st pick.

What do you see in him that makes you feel this way? I think he is very solid...do not get me wrong. But not what I would call "special". Of course SC will be strong again. But that is not the point.

Time will tell. I just see if differently. I have not been all that impressed with Sanchez. I do rate him much better than Leinhart. I never saw that "special' thing with him.

Mecca
12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Being the #1 QB in a class alone is enough to get you rated top 10...I think he's a lock top 10 guy...

Then factor this in...big arm...good mechanics, footwork is there and then on top of that he has the thing most QB's don't he's in a pro style system taking nearly all of his snaps from under center..

He has better physical traits than Matt Ryan does and is also coming from a pro style system, if he has a big year in his 2nd season starting he can be the 1st pick.

chief52
12-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Being the #1 QB in a class alone is enough to get you rated top 10...I think he's a lock top 10 guy...

Then factor this in...big arm...good mechanics, footwork is there and then on top of that he has the thing most QB's don't he's in a pro style system taking nearly all of his snaps from under center..

He has better physical traits than Matt Ryan does and is also coming from a pro style system, if he has a big year in his 2nd season starting he can be the 1st pick.

We will see. Hell yes if he has a great year and SC is a national contender he "could" be the top pick. I just am not seeing it. We will have to take this up a year from now. Like you say, he will not declare this season.

Where do you see Rey going? I think he will be a total stud in the NFL.

ohiobronco2
12-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Cutler has been a starter for not even 2 full years. If he puts up 4000+, 28TD/13 INT, etc - then yeah, I'd consider him an elite QB. He's well on his way.

So, why was he holding the ball so long THAT season, but not in the others?

He took half the number of sacks in the year previous, and the year after.

That was the year he was recovering from Kimo diving at his knees. I'm guessing his mobility was worse and had even more trouble avoiding sacks. Half of those sacks came in the first 5 games, when he was probably adjusting.

ChiefsCountry
12-09-2008, 12:39 AM

A bigger stronger Troy Aikman is what I see Sanchez. Very very good prospect.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM

QFT for truth. Eazyb81 thinks that he knows everything, I find it funny to see the biggest draft guru on here doesn't agree with him. I just told him what you basically said, but since it was from me and I'm not a draft god it has to be wrong.

Darth CarlSatan
12-09-2008, 01:12 PM

Man, I'm telling you; everything in my bones says "get Maualuga, get a DE, get another top-tier draft for the O-Line, shore-up the rest of the house through FA, let Thigpen develop, and be ready to grab Mark next year if he doesn't declare this year".

We're stuck with Carl and Herm for one more round. Gun? I'm thinking not. If we get a better D-Coord and support staff on that side of the ball; let's overhaul the house and get it ready for the franchise QB.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM

This is funny, I told him the same thing, but his rebuttal was that his vast superior knowledge of all things dealing with the draft, completely over shadows the draft thoughts of us peasants.

eazyb81
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
QFT for truth. Eazyb81 thinks that he knows everything, I find it funny to see the biggest draft guru on here doesn't agree with him. I just told him what you basically said, but since it was from me and I'm not a draft god it has to be wrong.

Not everything, just much, MUCH more than you.

Again, when Curry starts getting hyped up by the big draftniks and this board starts creaming their pants over him, I'm going to bump this and LAWL at both of you doofuses.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Not everything, just much, MUCH more than you.

Again, when Curry starts getting hyped up by the big draftniks and this board starts creaming their pants over him, I'm going to bump this and LAWL at both of you doofuses.

Ok, I will agree that you probably know more than me regarding the draft prospects and what not. You think you know more than Mecca? LMAO, that guy is like a draft magazine, he knows anything about everyone. At our spot If we even looked at Curry, I wouldn't be creaming my pants, I would be slitting my wrists.......With a plastic spoon.

eazyb81
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, I will agree that you probably know more than me regarding the draft prospects and what not. You think you know more than Mecca? LMAO, that guy is like a draft magazine, he knows anything about everyone. At our spot If we even looked at Curry, I wouldn't be creaming my pants, I would be slitting my wrists.......With a plastic spoon.

I think it's hilarious that anyone on a message board would idolize another message board poster like you do for mecca. There are lots of people on here that know about the draft, and many, many that know more than mecca on other sites I frequent. You need to get out more.

Also, thanks for the cute PMs about Curry winning the Butkus. Very odd that he won; do the voters not realize that he doesn't go to a great football school like OSU or USC?!

Brock
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I think it's hilarious that anyone on a message board would idolize another message board poster like you do for mecca. There are lots of people on here that know about the draft, and many, many that know more than mecca on other sites I frequent. You need to get out more.

Also, thanks for the cute PMs about Curry winning the Butkus. Very odd that he won; do the voters not realize that he doesn't go to a great football school like OSU or USC?!

I agree, Mecca is just as ridiculously and unjustifiably arrogant with his draft opinions as anyone else.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm not saying Aaron Curry sucks, I'm telling you any team shitty enough to pick in the top 10 that more than likely lacks players at core positions considering taking a non pass rush OLB which is a complimentary position is retarded.

Position value...repeat it, Aaron Curry does not have good positional value to teams picking in the top 10.

Brock
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Jerod Mayo isn't a pass rushing LB.

OnTheWarpath58
12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Jerod Mayo isn't a pass rushing LB.

Neither was/is Keith Rivers.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Neither was/is Keith Rivers.

And I didn't think that was a good pick.....but they got jolted when the Jags got in front of them to take Harvey and had to react.

As far as Mayo, the Patriots aren't a typical top 10 draft pick team. I don't personally think it's a good idea to take LB's like that with top 10 picks, can it work out sure, but it isn't an approach that I'm in favor of.

LB is a devalued position in the league I don't really see any dispute to that.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree, Mecca is just as ridiculously and unjustifiably arrogant with his draft opinions as anyone else.

While I agree with you somewhat, I have butted heads with Mecca more than a few times. He seems like a really cool guy, a little pessimistic IMO, but we all have short comings. I don't idolize him by any means, but he knows his crap. I don't care if you don't agree with him, hell there are plenty of times I don't agree with him. Any expert is going to be biased against certain players, it's impossible not to be. Everyone considers themselves experts in certain areas, now draft wise, I do not consider myself an expert. I would say I know more than the average, but I won't talk about players I don't know about, and I will admit there are a lot of players I don't know. Eazyb81, this board is great because of other peoples thoughts and opinions, if you want to act like you know everything and disspell thoughts that don't match your own, then I am sorry.

Brock
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
And I didn't think that was a good pick.....but they got jolted when the Jags got in front of them to take Harvey and had to react.

As far as Mayo, the Patriots aren't a typical top 10 draft pick team. I don't personally think it's a good idea to take LB's like that with top 10 picks, can it work out sure, but it isn't an approach that I'm in favor of.

LB is a devalued position in the league I don't really see any dispute to that.

Mayo has been very much worth his draft position. Your thinking is tracked.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Unless Maualuga or Laurinaitis are going to be Brian Urlacher, it's a reach to pick either in the top 10, IMO.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm not saying Aaron Curry sucks, I'm telling you any team shitty enough to pick in the top 10 that more than likely lacks players at core positions considering taking a non pass rush OLB which is a complimentary position is retarded.

Position value...repeat it, Aaron Curry does not have good positional value to teams picking in the top 10.

Quiet down you........Who do you think you are, Mel Kiper? ;)

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Mayo has been very much worth his draft position. Your thinking is tracked.

He's on the Patriots who I just told you aren't a typical top 10 draft pick team...do you have a reading problem?

You could make an argument they'd be better off if they had taken McKelvin instead of him...

RustShack
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
DE and LB seems like the most logical choices to me. BUT given who our HC is, who our DC coach is, who our LB coach is, and who our DL coach is, AND our recent history of defensive picks... I say draft all offense and give Gailey anything and anyone he wants. NOW if defensive coaching staff changes are made, then DE and/or LB is the way to go. We still have a lot of young and injured talent on defense though, maybe health and a coaching change is what we need the most.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
DE and LB seems like the most logical choices to me. BUT given who our HC is, who our DC coach is, who our LB coach is, and who our DL coach is, AND our recent history of defensive picks... I say draft all offense and give Gailey anything and anyone he wants. NOW if defensive coaching staff changes are made, then DE and/or LB is the way to go. We still have a lot of young and injured talent on defense though, maybe health and a coaching change is what we need the most.

It's honestly really hard to justify taking a LB in the top 10 when you look at this teams roster...

Brock
He's on the Patriots who I just told you aren't a typical top 10 draft pick team...do you have a reading problem?

You could make an argument they'd be better off if they had taken McKelvin instead of him...

He'd be kicking ass if he played for KC or any other team too. I can read what you write just fine, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

El Jefe
Unless Maualuga or Laurinaitis are going to be Brian Urlacher, it's a reach to pick either in the top 10, IMO.

I'll agree with you, I said I expected both to go before 15. The Bills picked Donte Whitner from OSU 8th a few years back, and he was a safety. It just depends on who they fall in love with. I can see Mays being grabbed up like Donte was in the top 10. I honestly think both JL and Rey Rey will be corner stones at MLB for years to come in the NFL.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
You can have the 3 best LB's in football if your line sucks and your secondary sucks your defense is going to suck...

That's why it's a devalued position..the Patriots could use a top 10 pick on a LB because they are a ready made team that doesn't have many holes.

There's a reason teams value DL, CB, and special safeties over LB's that aren't pass rushers.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll agree with you, I said I expected both to go before 15. The Bills picked Donte Whitner from OSU 8th a few years back, and he was a safety. It just depends on who they fall in love with. I can see Mays being grabbed up like Donte was in the top 10. I honestly think both JL and Rey Rey will be corner stones at MLB for years to come in the NFL.

Donte Whitner turned out to be a good pick but he was a freak posting CB 40 times.

El Jefe
12-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Donte Whitner turned out to be a good pick but he was a freak posting CB 40 times.

I know he was, I loved him at OSU. I think Mays will be similar to Donte, they are both freaks.

RustShack
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I think if we go DE first and LB second, or LB first DE second we could easily be in a good position, especially if we make a few coaching changes. Now that depends on who falls, but I think the chances of us being able to fill both those needs in the first two rounds are very good this year.

OnTheWarpath58
12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
It's honestly really hard to justify taking a LB in the top 10 when you look at this teams roster...

Yet you've advocated taking a safety with the same pick...

I've noticed that if it's a player you're high on, you have no problem flip-flopping your opinion of positional value.

Mecca
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Yet you've advocated taking a safety with the same pick...

I've noticed that if it's a player you're high on, you have no problem flip-flopping your opinion of positional value.

Like I said special player...sometimes a safety can be worth that pick just like sometimes a LB can but no one here is Urlacher.

Taylor Mays on the other hand is an extremely freakish player.