PDA

View Full Version : Computers Help - New Vista laptop won't connect to my wireless network

Lzen
12-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Just got a new laptop with Vista on it. I have had no problems connecting to my wireless network with my XP machine. Yes, I use MAC filtering and encryption. I even tried turning off the MAC filtering. Still no connectinon. I was able to connect to my neighbor's unsecured network. Why is that? Any network gurus know how to fix this issue.

BTW, my router is a Linksys WRT54GL and I am running Tomato Firmware v1.21.1515. Any help would be appreciated.

Lzen
12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I should also point out that I just turned off my encryption and I was able to connect. WTF?

Mosbonian
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I connected my son's Vista-based desktop to my wireless network....my computer is XP....I ended up having to download a patch that I loaded onto my son's computer that made it work fine.

mmaddog

Lzen
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
A patch for what? Vista? The wireless card? What? I just did a search for an update to he wireless card driver and Vista says it is using the latest.

J Diddy
12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
A patch for what? Vista? The wireless card? What? I just did a search for an update to he wireless card driver and Vista says it is using the latest.

sounds more like the passwords aren't matching up then anything else.

Lzen
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I am positive that the passwords are matched.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome to Vista-XP hell. This was a pretty well known problem they were supposed to address with SP1. I don't have any personal experience with it, I'd probably recommend that you PM KC Fish about it.

Donger
12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
What's the encryption on your router? I just did the same with my wife's new laptop running Vista and I had to change everything to WPA2.

DaFace
12-11-2008, 09:37 PM
What's the encryption on your router? I just did the same with my wife's new laptop running Vista and I had to change everything to WPA2.

I've never had an issue with any of our 8 Vista laptops at work, all going through WPA.

Donger
12-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I've never had an issue with any of our 8 Vista laptops at work, all going through WPA.

WPA2. I had to upgrade the wireless card on the kids' laptop, too, because it would only do WPA. I have no idea how or why a new OS would require that, but I'm just glad it's working now. Beats the "Honey!? The computer won't check email!?!!!" problems.

Mosbonian
12-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Lzen:

The patch is for the Vista laptop....if your wireless router is attached to a computer running Windows XP and you try to connect any computer that is Windows Vista you will need a patch that allows the signal from the XP to be recognized on your Vista laptop

It's the same problem I had when setting up my son's computer on my wireless connection.

mmaddog

QuikSsurfer
12-11-2008, 10:07 PM
If you can connect without security, you could keep the network open and just not broadcast your SSID.
Not familiar with Vista..

Lzen
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
What really sucks is that pretty much all new PCs are loaded with Vista. Why the @#$% can they not get something like this taken care of? This seems to me to be an obvious foreseeable issue that they should have fixed before even releasing Vista. I'll try WPA2, Donger. I will have to get a new wireless adapter for the PC upstairs, though. Oh well, that will be no biggie if this fixes the problem. I will let you know.

Oh, and in regards to your comments, mmaddog, I have my router hooked up to my Xbox 360 via ethernet cable. Everything else is wireless.

Lzen
12-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, switching to WPA2 did no good, either. This is ridiculous.

Fish
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing you're seeing the wireless signal, but can only get local access and no internet?

Router:
Did you try the latest Linksys firmware before loading Tomato? Check HERE. (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859837401&packedargs=sku%3D1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3740100349B03&displaypage=download)
Do you have SPI turned on? Because I've seen it fight with Vista pretty badly... the "new and improved" TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista sometimes shits itself when it tries to connect with an SPI-enabled router. It's less secure with SPI turned off, but you might check it to see if that's the problem.
Do you have UPnP on? Turn it off, see if that changes anything.

New Vista Laptop:
What type of wireless card is in your new Vista lappy?
Is there a BIOS setting for the wireless card to set B, G, or N connection states? Is it configured correctly in the BIOS?
Have you downloaded new firmware/drivers for the wireless card?
What protocols are turned on for the wireless card? Did you try turning off all protocols except IPv4 and test it?
IPv6 can cause issues sometimes. Here's how to disable IPv6. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852)
Did you try to set a manual IP instead of using DHCP? Vista DHCP uses broadcast flags that give some routers problems. First follow these instructions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us) to turn of broadcast flags in Vista. If that doesn't work, try setting a manual IP.

If none of that works, try M$'s Connectivity tool (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx). Run it from your Vista lappy. It should tell you what type of connection you're getting and what protocols are/aren't working.

Lzen
12-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Fish,

The mfg. firmware on my router was updated to the latest a few months ago. Unless they have updated since then, it was the latest before I put tomato on it. I saw someone mention SPI on a tech forum saying basically the same thing you're saying. I will have to check it when I get home. Don't know about UPnP. I don't have any need for something like that so it would be in whatever the default state of tomato 1.21. I'll check that later, too.

I believe the wireless card is a Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN. The thing about the driver for the card is that I let Vista check to see if there was an update. Vista said it was up to date. I am planning to go to that mfg website and check for myself this evening.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, too. I will check on those things later today.

BTW, should I not run MS's connectivity tool first, since it woudd tell me what is not working?

Fish
12-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Your firmware should be fine then.

I wouldn't trust Vista to choose which driver is the best for your card(as odd as that sounds). I'd stick with the most recent manufacturer's driver. Most times Vista will choose the most compatible driver, and not necessarily the one that will have the best results.

You can run M$'s connectivity tool whenever you want. You don't necessarily need to troubleshoot in the order I listed. But the connectivity tool may tell you that the connection is fine, so don't expect it to be foolproof. It may give you a good hint as to what to turn off/on though.

Just remember the best way to troubleshoot these types of things is to turn off everything you can except what's necessary to get a connection, security be damned. And once you've got a workable connection, start turning on security/etc. one by one until it's secure enough to suit you. Disabling SPI would be a good start...

Lzen
12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is what MS's internet connectivity tool says.
Network Address Translator Type (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29) Not supported
<description>One primary function of most home Internet routers is Network Address Translation (NAT). Routers providing NAT support assign private IP addresses on the local network. NAT maps these private addresses on the inside network to a public IP address on the outside network so that computers behind the Internet router can communicate with the rest of the Internet. Since Network Address Translators can work in different ways, this test uses Microsoft servers to identify your router's NAT type. Some protocols work better through routers that act as cone-type NATs than routers that act as symmetric-type NATs. </description>

A result of "Not supported" in this test does not impact your basic Internet connectivity. One possible reason for this result may be that your computer is connecting through an Internet router that acts as a symmetric NAT (view the detailed report to determine if this is the case). Microsoft has determined that symmetric NATs can block the traffic of programs that use IPv6 tunneling over IPv4 (see Teredo Overview (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/teredo.mspx) for details of how this works). Failure to connect using IPv6 may cause these programs to not run or to have a degraded experience. It is also possible that the servers used to determine the NAT type are temporarily unreachable, in which case running the test again later will give a more accurate result.

Lzen
12-12-2008, 06:08 PM
But remember, the only way I am able to get his new laptop on my network is to take encryption of. The only way to get online to use the internet connectivity tool is to get online.

Lzen
12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
BTW, I did update my driver through Intel's website.

Mosbonian
12-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow...all this trouble...

Lzen:

My wireless is thru 2 desktops, one laptop and the XBOX 360. One laptop and 1 desktop run on Vista and one desktop runs on XP (the router is hooked to this PC). The only problem I encountered when connecting was when I added my son's desktop. It was solved with the patch.

mmaddog

Fish
12-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Did you try turning off broadcast flags in Vista?
Did you try assigning a manual IP?
Switch between IPv4 and IPv6?

Lzen
12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Did you try turning off broadcast flags in Vista?
Did you try assigning a manual IP?
Switch between IPv4 and IPv6?

Yes
By manual IP, do you mean static IP? If so, no I have not.
Yes