PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Day the Earth Stood Still

Deberg_1990
12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Anyone going to check this out this weekend??

I havent seen one good review for it yet.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1193610-day_the_earth_stood_still/

Fish
12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
LMAO

'Klaatu barada crappo'

KCCHIEFS27
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Keanu Reeves hasn't done anything good since Bill and Ted..he is one of the top three worst actors of all time according to...me.

KCChiefsMan
12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Keanu Reeves hasn't done anything good since Bill and Ted..he is one of the top three worst actors of all time according to...me.

well the matrix kicked ass, I think his terrible acting actually contributed to that trilogy in a good way. But you are right, he is a terrible actor

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow night.

I'm expecting a high octane popcorn movie.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Guru
12-12-2008, 08:34 PM
it's a Keanu Reeves movie. What more do you want out of it?

chiefs1111
12-12-2008, 08:53 PM
The Devils Advocate was an alright movie. Not great but not bad either....

keg in kc
12-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Not a chance. I don't need to buy a ticket to know it's a piece of crap.

Guru
12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Not a chance. I don't need to buy a ticket to know it's a piece of crap.And yet you are still a Chiefs fan. :evil:

keg in kc
12-13-2008, 03:05 AM
And yet you are still a Chiefs fan. So much so that I haven't bought a ticket for a game since 2002, haven't bought any new gear since 2004 and haven't done more than fast-forward through a game since october.

PhillyChiefFan
12-13-2008, 07:34 AM

His accent was terrible, but it was a good movie

KCUnited
12-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I saw it yesterday. Don't expect high octane. It was entertaining and had some cool aspects, but fell to my expectations. Needed to see more of the big fella.

Buehler445
12-13-2008, 08:25 AM

I actually did like The Replacements. He didn't fuck that movie up too bad (though he tried mightily). Speed was OK, but very mindless.

On the whole though I agree with you. Reeves=ass. I have no idea why he is still getting hired for gigs. More importantly, the story on this one looks atrocious. It looks like good damn Fantastic 4 - 2 what ever that piece of shit was called. I have no intention of seeing this at all.

Sure-Oz
12-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Ive never seen the original so it may not spoil my fun to see this flick....

I may still go see it, plus i heard the Wolverine Trailer is on before it.

KCUnited
12-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Ive never seen the original so it may not spoil my fun to see this flick....

I may still go see it, plus i heard the Wolverine Trailer is on before it.

It is, and so is Watchmen, which looked equally as badass.

kcfanXIII
12-13-2008, 02:33 PM
constantine, and street kings both were good movies....

despite keenu's acting. he's up there with nick cage as far as "how do they keep getting work?" category.

kc rush
12-13-2008, 04:37 PM
constantine, and street kings both were good movies....

despite keenu's acting. he's up there with nick cage as far as "how do they keep getting work?" category.

Its all family conections and a couple of hits despite their efforts that keep them in pictures. I won't be seeing this though since I won't watch anything staring Kenanu.

googlegoogle
12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
didn't like the CGI look on TV trailers.. It was off.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Avoid at all costs.

Terrible script, horrible score (it was thankfully buried for most of the film), decent sound design, decent acting but a pitiful script. John Cleese was barely in the film, Jaden Smith was annoying for most of the film and at one point, I just wanted Klaatu to kill him, the government agents were predictable and the resolution weak.

None of the original intrigue, none of the original suspense, GORT sucked and the "message" was dumb.

.5 Stars.

Avoid until cable or free television.

googlegoogle
12-14-2008, 01:40 AM
OMG. Jaden Smith! LOL. Nepotism at its best. You knew it was going to be bad with big name hyped celebs. Always is. And Keanu is always in crap movies.

Library is where i will see it. Another sh** film was the horror,godzilla type film by JJ 'hack' Abrams.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Library is where i will see it. Another sh** film was the horror,godzilla type film by JJ 'hack' Abrams.

This was far worse than "Cloverfield".

I actually liked "Cloverfield" after the first 20 minutes (the shaky camera was obnoxious). Finally, an indestructible monster is, well, indestructible. I thought it was bad ass.

And Abrams only produced (i.e, funded). He had no creative input.

J Diddy
12-14-2008, 03:01 AM
So much so that I haven't bought a ticket for a game since 2002, haven't bought any new gear since 2004 and haven't done more than fast-forward through a game since october.

that's because you're cheap

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Can't be that bad. Cannot be worse than The Happening. That was a huge turd.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2008, 05:28 AM
he's up there with nick cage as far as "how do they keep getting work?" category.Cage has an Oscar...

Deberg_1990
12-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Avoid at all costs.

Terrible script, horrible score (it was thankfully buried for most of the film), decent sound design, decent acting but a pitiful script. John Cleese was barely in the film, Jaden Smith was annoying for most of the film and at one point, I just wanted Klaatu to kill him, the government agents were predictable and the resolution weak.

None of the original intrigue, none of the original suspense, GORT sucked and the "message" was dumb.

.5 Stars.

Thanks for saving me some money Dane. I was actually thinking about checking out the IMAX version. But ill pass now.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Avoid at all costs.

I'll still rent it. I don't care what other people say, I'll decide for myself.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for saving me some money Dane. I was actually thinking about checking out the IMAX version. But ill pass now.Since when did Dane become the official Chiefsplanet movie critic? To each his own...

Sure-Oz
12-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Worst. Movie. Ever.

Avoid at all costs.

.5 Stars.

If this gets .5 stars than The Crappening must be a -10 stars ROFL

I was hoping the flick would be decent, that sucks

alanm
12-14-2008, 09:31 AM
well the matrix kicked ass, I think his terrible acting actually contributed to that trilogy in a good way. But you are right, he is a terrible actor
I liked Constantine as well.

ragedogg69
12-14-2008, 09:56 AM
If this gets .5 stars than The Crappening must be a -10 stars ROFL

I was hoping the flick would be decent, that sucks

the happening was pretty good... when listening to rifftrax with it. I couldnt imagine watching it without it.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll still rent it. I don't care what other people say, I'll decide for myself.

By all means, rent it and decide for yourself.

Just don't spend $56 dollars (plus two dollars parking) for four people to see at theater like we did last night.

And that's not including $33 on a babysitter.

keg in kc
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
that's because you're cheapPoor and cheap are different beasts.

googlegoogle
12-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Just don't spend $56 dollars (plus two dollars parking) for four people to see at theater like we did last night.

:doh!:

thats how they get you!

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2008, 03:31 PM

And that's not including $33 on a babysitter.Holy crap.

Midnight_Vulture
12-14-2008, 04:09 PM
LMAO at all the suckers actually paying to see this crap. You know it was starring Keanu Reeves in it right???
And it wasnt a Matrix film so...what were you morons thinking?

Sure-Oz
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
LMAO at all the suckers actually paying to see this crap. You know it was starring Keanu Reeves in it right???

God you are a fucking genious

DMAC
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM

:stupid:

googlegoogle
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
remakes suck

Midnight_Vulture
12-14-2008, 05:05 PM
^^^
Not all of them. The Departed was a remake and it kicked all kinds of ass.

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2008, 11:12 PM
what were you morons thinking?

I was thinking that my nearly 66 year old father (who I only see once or twice a year) wanted to see the movie, so I took he and my mother (along with my wife).

The movie sucked but being with them was a blast.

Guru
12-14-2008, 11:19 PM

JFC:eek:

Darth CarlSatan
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM

The Devils Advocate had Al Pacino. You could put a monkey next to Pacino and make hay; and they did.

In other news, HBO's "House of Saddam" is a winner.

Darth CarlSatan
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
This was far worse than "Cloverfield".

I actually liked "Cloverfield" after the first 20 minutes (the shaky camera was obnoxious). Finally, an indestructible monster is, well, indestructible. I thought it was bad ass.

And Abrams only produced (i.e, funded). He had no creative input.

Wha????

Darth CarlSatan
12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
God you are a fucking genious

And we're so lucky he pops his super-fly sideways cap in now and again to share said genius. Yes, so lucky.

DaneMcCloud
12-15-2008, 12:37 AM
[/b]Wha????

I think my explanation was clear enough about the process.

He didn't write the script.

He didn't direct.

He wasn't 2nd unit director.

He wasn't the costume designer.

He basically funded the movie and acted as producer.

If you have more information, by all means, please share.

FWIW, Hollywood is the biggest pyramid scheme of all time.

Guru
12-15-2008, 12:41 AM

He didn't direct.

Super Amway huh

Darth CarlSatan
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM

He didn't direct.

No no; no criticism of you here at all. I literally had no idea he wasn't truly involved. I just find it kind of funny that at least one Actress signed up on his name alone( and hated the whole experience! ).
I hated the characters, and I was super-happy when they died! I don't watch 'Lost' or any of his stuff, so I can't say if he's worth a shit or not.

DaneMcCloud
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Amway huh

Pretty much.

One of these days, we'll spend a night boozing and discussing Hollywood nonsense, then 6 days of fun with the kids.

Plus, we have children nearly the same age!

Darth CarlSatan
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Amway huh

ROFLROFLROFL

DaneMcCloud
12-15-2008, 12:49 AM
No no; no criticism of you here at all. I literally had no idea he wasn't truly involved. I just find it kind of funny that at least one Actress signed up on his name alone( and hated the whole experience! ).
I hated the characters, and I was super-happy when they died! I don't watch 'Lost' or any of his stuff, so I can't say if he's worth a shit or not.

Mr. Darth Carl Satan,

Welcome to the Media Center!

Dane McCloud is privy to quite a bit of Hollywood info (not all, of course) and tries to share as much as possible, without giving out his identity and the identity of other peeps in the entertainment business from whom he gathers his information.

He is not well liked among several.

I hope you enjoy the insight!

Darth CarlSatan
12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Mr. Darth Carl Satan,

Welcome to the Media Center!

Dane McCloud is privy to quite a bit of Hollywood info (not all, of course) and tries to share as much as possible, without giving out his identity and the identity of other peeps in the entertainment business from whom he gathers his information.

He is not well liked among several.

I hope you enjoy the insight!

Tease.:D

Darth CarlSatan
12-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Tease.:D

And it's Darth CarlSatan; NO spaces! My agent will have your ass!:evil:

Guru
12-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Pretty much.

One of these days, we'll spend a night boozing and discussing Hollywood nonsense, then 6 days of fun with the kids.

Plus, we have children nearly the same age!

Some day my friend. Some day.:)

May wife has already mentioned I should just take my oldest somewhere on my next vacation. Family vacations are just too hard with a newborn right now. Plus, it would be fun for just the two of us to get out of Kansas at some point. 12, 7, 4(years), and 8 months is just a bad mix for vacations. heh

DeepPurple
12-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Here's a funny story about Keanu Reeves, I don't know how true it is. The other day the morning guys on 98 Rock here in Baltimore were talking about Keanu back when he was in town filming The Replacements. He was here for a few weeks and one day stopped by the radio station and apparently began paying a lot of attention to one of the young male interns working there. They didn't go into details, they were mostly just making fun of the intern since he was straight and apparently was freaked out by the situation.

googlegoogle
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Here's a funny story about Keanu Reeves, I don't know how true it is. The other day the morning guys on 98 Rock here in Baltimore were talking about Keanu back when he was in town filming The Replacements. He was here for a few weeks and one day stopped by the radio station and apparently began paying a lot of attention to one of the young male interns working there. They didn't go into details, they were mostly just making fun of the intern since he was straight and apparently was freaked out by the situation.

does that confirm gayness?

Guru
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Ever seen someone you were certain you had seen before but couldn't place them and didn't want to ask them about it? Could be that simple.

Adept Havelock
12-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I recently saw this, and was left with a nagging thought.

At the end of the movie, Keanu-Klaatu has disrupted power on the Earth by something very much like the "Change" in S.M. Stirling's book "Dies the Fire" and the sequels.

Given this, do you think Jennifer Connolly and Will Smith's kid will be thinking well of him?

Say, a month after the end of the film when they are hiding in a basement in terror of roving bands of "Eaters"? No power for transport, a city of 18 million...you do the math. :shrug:

Lzen
12-24-2008, 08:04 PM
I recently watched the original on Netflix instant viewing. For a 50s flick, it was actually pretty darn good. Yeah, the special effects were cheesy and dated. But the story was solid and the movie was well done with good production and the acting was very good.

Adept Havelock
12-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I recently watched the original on Netflix instant viewing. For a 50s flick, it was actually pretty darn good. Yeah, the special effects were cheesy and dated. But the story was solid and the movie was well done with good production and the acting was very good.

The original is a classic. The sequel is a borderline crime against humanity.

Lzen
12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
The original is a classic. The sequel is a borderline crime against humanity.

I have never been much into old movies. But I definitely enjoyed this one. I fully expect them to screw up the new one. I will probably wait until it is on DVD to watch on Netflix.

tk13
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
I got to see this today. I personally thought it was a terrible idea from the moment they said they were going to do this movie. The original is a classic and this is just one of the rare movies you don't remake. But they did.

I honestly think if you haven't seen the original you probably won't mind it, I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people really like the movie. If you've seen the original, I think you're going to have a difficult time. It is different, there are several things this movie does way differently. I think it's just hard to capture the suspense of the original if that's what you're comparing it to.

The thing that really bothered me, and I was glad to see several of the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes say the same thing... product placement in this movie is horrible. About as bad as I've ever seen in a movie, but maybe I don't watch enough movies. Not subtle at all.

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh hell, I really liked it. I never saw the original though.
Thought the robot was awesomely done too.