PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anybody help me out with my Sprint issue?

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok....this might be a little long but here we go.

My fiance and I are under the Everything Family Data plan for Sprint. She has the Palm Centro and I have Samsung Instinct (not that this matters). Anyways....I work for the local government here and I had a business phone through them (Blackberry). They are going to a new cell phone plan where they will pay me $105 a month if I use my personal phone as a business phone. Everything sounds great....but here is the problem.

1. The blackberry that I had with them is through Verizon. Therefore I can't transfer it over to Sprint.
2. The Samsung Instinct that I have won't allow me to connect to my work e-mail. Therefore I can't use this for work purposes.

There are only two options that I have right now.

If I upgrade my Instinct....I have to pay $500-$600 for a Blackberry because I'm not eligible for an upgrade. My other option is to add a line to my plan and get a Blackberry at $200. This is obviously going to cost me more than what I want to spend.

I know there are some people here that either work for Sprint or used too. Do you have any other options that I can do?

Yes....anti-freeze....REPOST and all that other "Kill Yourself" type stuff.

phisherman
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
what kind of e-mail provider does your work have?

the instinct's e-mail application will work with Exchange, even will do calendaring after the latest e-mail software update. as long as your work e-mail has Outlook Web Access enabled, it will work.

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I had my IT guys take a look and they couldn't get it work.

Do you know what OS the Instinct uses?

SLAG
12-15-2008, 05:37 PM
the Instinct uses a Proprietary O.S.
They more than likely require a Blackberry since they are running a BES with either a Ms Exchange or Lotus Domino Server, My guess is that is a Lotus Domino Server.

My suggestion:

Sell the Instinct on craigslist/ebay and buy a blackberry from Craigslist you can find a good one for $150-200

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
If I buy a Blackberry off of Craigslist.....do I just call into Sprint and tell them I have a new phone to activate and then have them deactivate my Instinct?

Bob Dole
12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I had my IT guys take a look and they couldn't get it work.

Do you know what OS the Instinct uses?

Make sure your IT guy entered the OWA address and not the regular mail.domain.com address.

SLAG
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
If I buy a Blackberry off of Craigslist.....do I just call into Sprint and tell them I have a new phone to activate and then have them deactivate my Instinct?

You can do it that way, or you can do it online yourself, once you log in to your account choose "Activate a new phone"

Once the new phone is activated then the old one is automatically deactivated

and for anyone that cares...

Sprint Blackberry Curves are Free at Best buy for now w/ 2 yr contract

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
You can do it that way, or you can do it online yourself, once you log in to your account choose "Activate a new phone"

Once the new phone is activated then the old one is automatically deactivated

and for anyone that cares...

Sprint Blackberry Curves are Free at Best buy for now w/ 2 yr contract

Must be nice...if I want one I have to pay $500 from Sprint.

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Make sure your IT guy entered the OWA address and not the regular mail.domain.com address.

Anywhere I can find this without getting my IT guys into it? Like can I find it in Outlook somewhere?

SLAG
12-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Must be nice...if I want one I have to pay $500 from Sprint.

unless u opened a new line of service..

then sold your instinct for $200
then cancel the 2nd line and use the $200 to pay the ETF

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
unless u opened a new line of service..

then sold your instinct for $200
then cancel the 2nd line and use the $200 to pay the ETF

Which I would be fine with but my fiance is under the same plan as me....so that's out the window.

SLAG
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Anywhere I can find this without getting my IT guys into it? Like can I find it in Outlook somewhere?

OWA= Outlook web access

so whatever address you use to check the outlook online through the web

SLAG
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Which I would be fine with but my fiance is under the same plan as me....so that's out the window.

it would have nothing to do with your current plan

Go into best buy.. act like you don't have any sprint account

set up a brand new one with the blackberry

leave..

go to a sprint store
have then switch the phones.. put the black berry on the old account, the instinct on the new one

wait 30 days

go home
call sprint
cancel new account

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
OWA= Outlook web access

so whatever address you use to check the outlook online through the web

I don't ever check my outlook online. And I just checked and off of our intranet it's http://outlook/exchange/ but that's not going to work. Man I'm an IT idiot.

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
it would have nothing to do with your current plan

Go into best buy.. act like you don't have any sprint account

set up a brand new one with the blackberry

leave..

go to a sprint store
have then switch the phones.. put the black berry on the old account, the instinct on the new one

wait 30 days

go home
call sprint
cancel new account

What would happen if I cancelled the new plan before the 30 days?

And would they switch the Blackberry over if it was activated on a different plan? I mean...don't they activate it there at Bestbuy?

The Franchise
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
And why do I have a feeling that I would be getting dicked over by doing that? lol

phisherman
12-15-2008, 07:05 PM
here's the main question, can you check your e-mail from anywhere?

if you have the ability to check your e-mail from anywhere on the internet (through MS exchange that is), the instinct will work for you.

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Has anybody bought an unlocked phone off of Craigslist or E-bay before?

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
here's the main question, can you check your e-mail from anywhere?

if you have the ability to check your e-mail from anywhere on the internet (through MS exchange that is), the instinct will work for you.

My IT guys gave me mail.solanocounty.com

and I get this error.

An unsupported request has been made of the server. If the problem persists, please contact support.

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm just full of questions today.

If I do buy a phone off of E-bay or Craigslist......will Sprint allow me to get the insurance for it and will they cover it?

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Bump.

SithCeNtZ
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm just full of questions today.

If I do buy a phone off of E-bay or Craigslist......will Sprint allow me to get the insurance for it and will they cover it?

Depends. If you already have insurance on your plan it will switch over to the new phone but if you don't you can't add it. Don't do Slag's idea either, because it wont work and you will probably end up with a blackberry that is locked out of the sprint network.

SLAG
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Depends. If you already have insurance on your plan it will switch over to the new phone but if you don't you can't add it. Don't do Slag's idea either, because it wont work and you will probably end up with a blackberry that is locked out of the sprint network.

My main suggestion was to buy one off of Craigslist- a Sprint Branded one

You can always add insurance when Adding a new phone to your account, you just have to call customer service and add it

and if he WAS to do my idea how the HELL would it NOT work and howcould it get locked out of the sprint network?

Pest-

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

for all things sprint - enjoy

SithCeNtZ
12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
My main suggestion was to buy one off of Craigslist- a Sprint Branded one

You can always add insurance when Adding a new phone to your account, you just have to call customer service and add it

and if he WAS to do my idea how the HELL would it NOT work and howcould it get locked out of the sprint network?

Pest-

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

for all things sprint - enjoy

I work for sprint while going to school so I have first hand accounts of how this sometimes goes down. People do the whole buy a phone with another name then cancel and try and activate it on another line of service....well everything is tracked in the servers and sometimes best buy, if they feel for whatever reason that you just cheated them out of money, will flag the phone and wont let that phone be activated on the network for like 3 months after you cut your line of service. So if he wants to risk it he can. I guess I can't say for sure that it won't work, but I think it would just be easier for him to buy one on ebay or whatever and use that. Cheaper and without all of the risks.