PDA

View Full Version : Computers HP Customer Service...some props!

Short Leash Hootie
12-17-2008, 07:08 AM
A few weeks ago, I was in class...and I got the wretched 'operating system not found' upon booting up my computer. Now, I knew right away...my hard drive had crashed...done...needed to be replaced...brand new, two month old laptop set up EXACTLY how I wanted with all of my settings, Office 2007, etc...

So obviously I'm still under warranty (and this is during finals by the way) so I call HP and the mother fuckers want me to take a screwdriver to my laptop to verify the hard drive is indeed defective.

Now I cause a shit storm...finally I get transferred all the way to the corporate office, talk to an AMERICAN (thank God) and within two minutes they have a shipment box set up to repair my laptop (I'm under god damn warranty I'm not doing ANYTHING for something that failed that had nothing to do with me...)

I learned a thing or two working in the customer service industry...and I'd never take advantage of this but if you get to corporate they are going to do whatever you tell them and bring the hammer down on the people that caused it to get that far (and these people deserved it)...

Now I have another computer and all of my files are backed up on my external, so this isn't a HUGE deal...just very, very, very annoying...and I didn't want to go through the 10 hour process it takes me to tweak all of my settings all over again, but whatever...

Anyways the shipment box arrives and they provide a form to elaborate on the problem, etc...whatever...

So I decide I'm going to add my 'sob' story and try to bleed them for all I can get...after all, this was THEIR fault...so I tell them about a few things I'm going to lose because of this and the extra expenses it is going to cause...

I get my laptop back yesterday (a week early) and it has a 750 GB hard drive (instead of a 200 GB hard drive) 4 GB of RAM (instead of 3), a better video card, and Office 2007 installed (didn't originally come with my laptop).

So yeah, I'm going to have to give props to HP for this one...definitely worth the two weeks without a laptop...

Happy guy right here.

Lzen
12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow, that is awesome. I have never heard of a repair center giving your item back to you with upgrades like that. Hell, MS could learn a thing or two. Every time they have repaired my 360, I get a different one that I am afraid might have other issues.

Short Leash Hootie
12-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Wow, that is awesome. I have never heard of a repair center giving your item back to you with upgrades like that. Hell, MS could learn a thing or two. Every time they have repaired my 360, I get a different one that I am afraid might have other issues.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I was setting up my laptop and noticed all of the upgraded shit under my system information...

I went to activate my office with my torrent product # and sure enough, they had already given me Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007...

It's been a good computer week for me...

88TG88
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Same thing happened to my sister, HP fixed her laptop and sent it back really quick.

HC_Chief
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
HP's CS blows UNLESS you do what the original post said: raise holy hell and force them to transfer you out of accent land.

BTW, don't buy HP laptops. They are total shit.

StcChief
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
it's back on shore? only way it get's props?

Coach
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
HP's CS blows UNLESS you do what the original post said: raise holy hell and force them to transfer you out of accent land.

Agreed.

L.A. Chieffan
12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Whats with the chargers on HP laptops? Ive had to buy two of them and now this ones bad as well WTF

Short Leash Hootie
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Whats with the chargers on HP laptops? Ive had to buy two of them and now this ones bad as well WTF

Yikes...mine was working kind of slow today...I'm going to be pretty angry if anything else happens to this laptop...when I bought it from newegg it had 6 customer reviews...5 with 5 eggs and 1 with 4 eggs...I really like the thing when it's working.

L.A. Chieffan
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Its a cool computer other than the chargers, those fucking things are bank

Buck
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Its a cool computer other than the chargers, those ****ing things are bank

Bank? You mean bunk?

Anyways, I bought a Toshiba.

Its bad-ass.

It doesn't get hot at all even if its on for 4 hours.

DJJasonp
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I have to send my HP laptop in.....apparently with the dv6000 and 7000 series laptops...at some point the laptop fails to recognize the wireless network card....and therefore, you cant get wireless..

Device manager - no show there....so the troubleshooting tells you "install network card".

Supposedly it's a motherboard connection issue.

Bright side is - they're going to fix it for free and free shipping....so we'll see.

Short Leash Hootie
12-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I have to send my HP laptop in.....apparently with the dv6000 and 7000 series laptops...at some point the laptop fails to recognize the wireless network card....and therefore, you cant get wireless..

Device manager - no show there....so the troubleshooting tells you "install network card".

Supposedly it's a motherboard connection issue.

Bright side is - they're going to fix it for free and free shipping....so we'll see.
great, I have the dv6000...god damnit

DJJasonp
12-17-2008, 07:10 PM
great, I have the dv6000...god damnit

Mine worked for about a year before this problem popped up....

I'll look for the link for you where it tells how to go about getting it fixed for free (just in case)...

DJJasonp
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Here you go:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=3259108

L.A. Chieffan
12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Bank? You mean bunk?

Anyways, I bought a Toshiba.

Its bad-ass.

It doesn't get hot at all even if its on for 4 hours.

bank. as in expensive. bunk too

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
HP lost me as a customer a while back when my wife's laptop screen bezel began separating from itself one week after the warranty expired. Turns out, there was a pending class action lawsuit on that particular model and the screen bezel cracking after a year or so of use and HP refusing to issue a recall or do anything about it.

It was obviously a manufacturing flaw that HP wouldn't take credit for, and wanted some $300 to fix. As such, I'll not buy their products anymore.

Lzen
12-18-2008, 08:20 AM

What do you think about Acer laptops?

Mojo Rising
12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I had major problems with HP on a desktop earlier this year. It was in warranty and would just restart for no reason. I spent about 30 hours on tech support and reloading the OS (and updating settings and files every time.)

I finally tried to get the issue escalated. They sent me to a US based customer service rep who was a bitch. I think I raised too much shit in my attempt to get escalated and they flagged my file as a trouble maker (like Elaines Dr on Seinfeld.)

I sent the PC in and they sent it back to me with another problem. The CSR said that they had to have 3 attempts at fixing before sending me a new 1. I then sent an email to the CEO and VP of Home Products (or something like that) and I received 2 emails the next day from their customer service swat teams (1 from the vp and 1 from the ceo.)

These guys were awesome. They sent me a new PC the next week.

The new PC would not accept the memory I bought for the old PC so I called the US customer service to send me new memory. She basically told me to pound salt. I then called my swat contact and he sent me the additional memory immediately.

He even said to contact him if I ever have problems with HP products.

The net net for me was to send emails to the ceo and vp of products. They got things done. It probably is dependant on the company you buy from though.