PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV PS3 Question....

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I hook my ps3 via HDMI on my tv and my parents tv via HDMI....they are both 1080p tv's and it works fine.

My friends tv i think is a 720p tv, but when i hook it up via HDMI there is no picture, what's the deal? Do i have to use the component wire on his tv/reciever for it to show up? We just want to watch a movie, and i forgot wtf i have to do, i think i remember initially you had to set up the tv for what resolution mine was which was 1080p.

Guru
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I hook my ps3 via HDMI on my tv and my parents tv via HDMI....they are both 1080p tv's and it works fine.

My friends tv i think is a 720p tv, but when i hook it up via HDMI there is no picture, what's the deal? Do i have to use the component wire on his tv/reciever for it to show up? We just want to watch a movie, and i forgot wtf i have to do, i think i remember initially you had to set up the tv for what resolution mine was which was 1080p.So your PS3 was set up to only play on a 1080p TV? Did you go into the display settings and turn off 720p support or something? Thats all I can think of.

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
So your PS3 was set up to only play on a 1080p TV? Did you go into the display settings and turn off 720p support or something? Thats all I can think of.

No idea...i will have to go check, i think i just set it to whatever my tv's highest resolution was and that it was HDMI input.

I just found this though on the web shortly after posting this...

Reset your PS3 video settings
If you have a Sony PS3 that you move from place to place, you may run into the issue where you connect it to a new TV or monitor and you can't see anything because the video settings are different than what your PS3 is configured for. When this happens, you can't even get to the screen that allows you to set the video settings, so you are basically screwed. If this happens to you, there is a fix. Turn off the power to your PS3 and then turn it back on again. But when you turn it on, hold down the power button until you see something on the screen. When you hold down the power button of the PS3 when you are turning it on, it completely resets the video settings to the most basic settings (480p I think) so that it'll work on any TV or monitor. Once you can then get something on the screen, you can configure the video settings to match the TV you are hooking up to. You'll probably have to do the same thing when you take it back to your original location. But at least with this trick you can now move your PS3 around if you want.

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
So your PS3 was set up to only play on a 1080p TV? Did you go into the display settings and turn off 720p support or something? Thats all I can think of.

I don't have access to my ps3 right now but i assume if i did shut that off and turn it back on, it will be ok for either tv and use the highest output available right? I just don't want it to do less on a 1080p tv esp since im connecting via HDMI.

Guru
12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't have access to my ps3 right now but i assume if i did shut that off and turn it back on, it will be ok for either tv and use the highest output available right? I just don't want it to do less on a 1080p tv esp since im connecting via HDMI.I would assume that if you select both 1080p and 720p it should work on every HDTV out there. That is however, an assumption.

Sure-Oz
12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I would assume that if you select both 1080p and 720p it should work on every HDTV out there. That is however, an assumption.

Yeah it has worked on every 1080p tv ive tried and this the first 720p tv i tried and the screen was black, so that has to be the problem. I will just check the settings tomorrow and make it compatible to 720p as well. No idea why i'd shut that off, but i guess i didnt think id have to use 720p as an option anyway.

The Bad Guy
12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
You need to check the display settings on your PS3. It is set up for 1080p, and you have to switch it to 720p.

Demonpenz
12-19-2008, 08:23 AM
shit like this is why ps3 sucks. Neo Geo 4 lyfe

Buck
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Not sure if this has been addressed, but hold down the power button when you turn it on until you hear it beep twice.

Mr. Plow
12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
I hooked up my 360 to HDMI before I had to send it in.....and now have my other 360 hooked up through the high def cables - I am AMAZED at the difference between the standard high def cables & HDMI. Amazing.

Sorry...I know off topic....kill myself.

Buck
12-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I hooked up my 360 to HDMI before I had to send it in.....and now have my other 360 hooked up through the high def cables - I am AMAZED at the difference between the standard high def cables & HDMI. Amazing.

Sorry...I know off topic....kill myself.

You mean HDMI vs. Component?

Is it really that big of a difference?

I tried hooking my PS3 up to component one time because I was having a Reciever issue and the Component caused my TV to ghost when playing the PS3, but I figured that was a Reciever issue.

I thought Component and HDMI output the same resolution...

Mr. Plow
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't know. Maybe it's my new TV as well. But the HDMI looks tons better on my new 1080p TV than the standard component cables.

Mr. Plow
12-19-2008, 12:08 PM
The HDMI just looks more crisp on the new tv than the cables.

Buck
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
The HDMI just looks more crisp on the new tv than the cables.

Makes sense.

Only 1 cable, makes less opportunity for error.

UteChief
12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
HDMI allows for a true 1080p picture. Component cables display 1080i. Although it is said you won't notice anything on a tv unless it's 50 inches or more. Now if you had composite, they only display a 480p. You Would see a huge difference.

Buck
12-20-2008, 10:13 AM
HDMI allows for a true 1080p picture. Component cables display 1080i. Although it is said you won't notice anything on a tv unless it's 50 inches or more. Now if you had composite, they only display a 480p. You Would see a huge difference.

Most component cables can carry a 1080p signal, it just depends on if your TV accepts a 1080p signal from Component Cables or not.