PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Brian Orakpo makes his case:

talastan
12-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I had already posted in the draftplanet forum but thought this would be something everyone would want to see here in the Lounge. Wow big, big man.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGUc3UL64f0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGUc3UL64f0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

unothadeal
12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
He's big and black. Sign em Carl, er Bill, er....

Bowser
12-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Is he nothing more than a workout warrior?

yeti
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
eh whatever he's frail

Ari Chi3fs
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
so is this who we pick? We need a DE. Im all for a strong bad ass DE... since we traded our drunken bad ass away.

aturnis
12-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, he's a capable pass rushing DE who can play the run. Sound solid enough.

KCChiefsMan
12-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him

mikey23545
12-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah, but they test for roids in the NFL...

Tribal Warfare
12-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Well, he's a capable pass rushing DE who can play the run. Sound solid enough.

Best case scenario would be Kevin Hardy clone worst case would be Patrick Kerney type of play

googlegoogle
12-19-2008, 01:45 AM
I like speed. I just don't know. He's gonna have to dominate the combine drills.

rrl308
12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0fudWpk2mU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0fudWpk2mU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

B_Ambuehl
12-19-2008, 02:52 AM
From a drafting standpoint that's not necessarily a positive thing because there's a lot less upside physically. Jared Allen was weaker then a lot of DBs coming out of college and the fact that he had a lot of room for physical improvemenet was a big part of his upside.

Braincase
12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Want.

the Talking Can
12-19-2008, 07:14 AM
don't know

Red Beans
12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
He looks good...

triple
12-19-2008, 07:22 AM
it might be smart to move down 5 picks or so and grab him along with a 2nd rounder.

the more first day draft picks we can inject into this team, the better chance we have to turn things around with so many holes, and obviously our pass rush is probably our greatest need

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 07:28 AM
it might be smart to move down 5 picks or so and grab him along with a 2nd rounder.

the more first day draft picks we can inject into this team, the better chance we have to turn things around with so many holes, and obviously our pass rush is probably our greatest need

How many first day picks do we have to inject into this DL before Herm finally gets it right?

triple
12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
How many first day picks do we have to inject into this DL before Herm finally gets it right?

depends on if Hali, Tyler, McBride develop. i think the defense and the defensive line are poorly coached.

but guys like Boone, Babin, and Edwards are still getting a lot of snaps. for injury or because vets are in there part of the time or for whatever reason the youngsters aren't developing

raybec 4
12-19-2008, 08:42 AM
From a drafting standpoint that's not necessarily a positive thing because there's a lot less upside physically. Jared Allen was weaker then a lot of DBs coming out of college and the fact that he had a lot of room for physical improvemenet was a big part of his upside.

So are you saying it wouldn't be good to draft him because he's too physically gifted?

talastan
12-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Yes, except that the kid is a proven playmaker and game changer. He has had several tackles for loss, double digit sacks against very mobile Big 12 QBs and if you watch some of his film highlights you can see he has good vision for where the ball is and getting there. I like him and hope he is there personally when we pick.

angelo
12-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I believe that Vernon Gholston was a work out warrior and described as a beast also.

I have some reservations.

Ang

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I listed him as our first overall pick-he reminds me alot of Michael Strahan.

MIAdragon
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM

LoL how much MORE "upside" do you want? If the guy is physically ready for the NFL its a bad thing?

Fish
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
It's hard to judge a college DLineman because of the big difference in opposing offensive lineman at the NFL level compared to college. You have to rely so much on judging potential, because all but the best once-a-decade college linemen have to relearn their position when they get to the pros. They find that they can't rely on raw talent anymore like they could in college. And lots of very talented guys can't take that last step needed to dominate at the NFL level.

Orakpo looks good now, but I'm still hesitant...

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
It's hard to judge a college DLineman because of the big difference in opposing offensive lineman at the NFL level compared to college. You have to rely so much on judging potential, because all but the best once-a-decade college linemen have to relearn their position when they get to the pros. They find that they can't rely on raw talent anymore like they could in college. And lots of very talented guys can't take that last step needed to dominate at the NFL level.

Orakpo looks good now, but I'm still hesitant...

Would you be hesitant with a new coaching staff from top to bottom?

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Orakpo looks good now, but I'm still hesitant...OU has some O-lineman that will be going in this year's draft-I would say that's a decent indicator of his skillset, going against those guys.

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
OU has some O-lineman that will be going in this year's draft-I would say that's a decent indicator of his skillset, going against those guys.

Looks like he raped thier OT on a many number of plays watching that vid earlier. Seems to be a mighty fine prospect.

Sully
12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, please.

Demonpenz
12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
what is his nfl equivilant Matthias kiwinuka?

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Looks like he raped thier OT on a many number of plays watching that vid earlier. Seems to be a mighty fine prospect.

He's a damn good prospect, who has yet to hit his ceiling. Again, I think he has Michael Strahan type talent. He's also PASSIONATE about football. As of now, he's considered a top 5 prospect-we'll have to pull the trigger early, if this is who we want. I'd love to have the franchise QB, but Orakpo would make a nice addition, as well and I certainly won't be disappointed, In fact, I think Stafford drops some and we might be able to add BOTH players, if we get creative.

talastan
12-19-2008, 09:52 AM
He's a damn good prospect, who has yet to hit his ceiling. Again, I think he has Michael Strahan type talent. He's also PASSIONATE about football. As of now, he's considered a top 5 prospect-we'll have to pull the trigger early, if this is who we want. I'd love to have the franchise QB, but Orakpo would make a nice addition, as well and I certainly won't be disappointed, In fact, I think Stafford drops some and we might be able to add BOTH players, if we get creative.

Doubt it would happen, but if Stafford isn't there, and this guy is you have to pull the trigger IMO. Orakpo and Dorsey on the same line has the makings of a great one, like the Giants, IMO.

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-19-2008, 09:52 AM

I think it's a bit wishfull thinking that we could acquire both, but damn I like your idea of getting them :eek: That would be awesome.

talastan
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I think it's a bit wishfull thinking that we could acquire both, but damn I like your idea of getting them :eek: That would be awesome.

I agree talk about one helluva draft!! :D

Fish
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Would you be hesitant with a new coaching staff from top to bottom?

Of course I would..... excited about the possibilities, but very hesitant...

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I think it's a bit wishfull thinking that we could acquire both, but damn I like your idea of getting them :eek: That would be awesome.Thank you all. I just get the feeling that Stafford will go in the upper mid range of the first round, similiar to Roethlisberger. If that's the case, we might be able to trade up or even trade down a couple of spots and a make the move.

Hog Farmer
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
He'll never make it in the NFL.

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I hope he goes through all the tests at the combine, especially the speed ones. His strength is incredible, but he shouldn't have so much bulk that it hurts him in beating legit left tackles, instead of Phil Loadholt. He's also had some injury issues and this is his first big season even though he's a redshirt senior.

Basically there are some things I like and some things about him that concern me.

the Talking Can
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
if we can't get stafford, then DE is the next position of value

i think speed is more important than strength (see: allen), but well, i got nothing on this crop...cross my fingers and pray

talastan
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
if we can't get stafford, then DE is the next position of value

i think speed is more important than strength (see: allen), but well, i got nothing on this crop...cross my fingers and pray

I agree if Stafford isn't there then DE. I really believe Orakpo is our target. Johnson from GT is IMO VERY overrated and the only other comparable if you really want speed would probably be Everette Brown IIRC.

Chief77
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
If we dont go the free agent DE route, he should be one of our top candidates in the first. I hope we fill a few holes, just to give us great flexibility in the draft.

HemiEd
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
How many first day picks do we have to inject into this DL before Gunther finally gets it right?

FYP, and the good news, there is no doubt Gunther will be gone. No doubt.

Mr. Laz
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
what is his nfl equivilant Matthias kiwinuka?
hell no

he's much stronger and plays with more power than Kiwi

that said .... i would be happier if these sentence was reversed

"with all his great accomplishments on the field, his accomplishments in the weight room have been legendary"

this would be much better

"with all his great accomplishments in the weight room, his accomplishments on the field have been legendary"

talastan
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
hell no

he's much stronger and plays with more power than Kiwi

that said .... i would be happier if these sentence was reversed

"with all his great accomplishments on the field, his accomplishments in the weight room have been legendary"

this would be much better

"with all his great accomplishments in the weight room, his accomplishments on the field have been legendary"
Yes but you'd think that with his strength training being top notch that we should be able to coach him up to use that power to his advantage.(Provided we actually get a DL coach)

Mr. Laz
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes but you'd think that with his strength training being top notch that we should be able to coach him up to use that power to his advantage.(Provided we actually get a DL coach)
that's the 40 million dollar question

if we can, then we have our own Dwight Freeney/Derrick Thomas/Michael Strahan ...... who are worth virtually any draft pick and can change your entire defense.

if not ....... :(

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
that's the 40 million dollar question

if we can, then we have our own Dwight Freeney/Derrick Thomas/Michael Strahan ...... who are worth virtually any draft pick and can change your entire defense.

if not ....... :(

I don't think Orakpo has the potential to be a pass rushing terror in the mold of Freneey or DT. He's just not that quick.

On the other hand, I think he could be a greater asset in the running game than those two, and overall I see him as a solid DE that is good in a few areas but not really great at anything. Think Chris Long/Justin Smith/Grant Wistrom.

Mr. Laz
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't think Orakpo has the potential to be a pass rushing terror in the mold of Freneey or DT. He's just not that quick.

On the other hand, I think he could be a greater asset in the running game than those two, and overall I see him as a solid DE that is good in a few areas but not really great at anything. Think Chris Long/Justin Smith/Grant Wistrom.
then he is NOT worth a top 10 pick in your opinion

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM

On the other hand, I think he could be a greater asset in the running game than those two, and overall I see him as a solid DE that is good in a few areas but not really great at anything. Think Chris Long/Justin Smith/Grant Wistrom.I agree that Orakpo has alot more upside as being an everydown DE, because he can contain the run, but I see him more in the role of a Michael Strahan, in that his game speed is quicker than his TIMED speed and his strength can overpower LTs. You are right in that he won't be a speed rusher, but I believe he will still definitely get after the QB more than some may think.

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 11:58 AM
then he is NOT worth a top 10 pick in your opinion

The three guys I mentioned were all drafted in the top ten, so I don't know why he shouldn't be, especially in a weak draft like this year. I'm just saying at this point I don't see him as a sack machine like DT or Freeney. He seems like more of a solid, all-around DE. That said, I really want to see how he runs at the combine. If he puts on a show then I reserve the right to change my opinion. :)

the Talking Can
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
oh, and can we fire our DL coach?

talastan
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
oh, and can we fire our DL coach?

This especially!!:clap:

talastan
12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
The three guys I mentioned were all drafted in the top ten, so I don't know why he shouldn't be, especially in a weak draft like this year. I'm just saying at this point I don't see him as a sack machine like DT or Freeney. He seems like more of a solid, all-around DE. That said, I really want to see how he runs at the combine. If he puts on a show then I reserve the right to change my opinion. :)

Which I think is the best way to start. We have to have someone who can contain LT/Sproles, Any of the Dungver RB, Fargas/McFadden. The sacks will come if we can keep teams at third and long.

Mr. Laz
12-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Flip-Flopper!!!!!!!!

:D

Mr. Laz
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Which I think is the best way to start. We have to have someone who can contain LT/Sproles, Any of the Dungver RB, Fargas/McFadden. The sacks will come if we can keep teams at third and long.
actually we get offenses into 3rd and long all the freaking time ... we just can't generate a natural enough pass rush to ever stop them even on 3rd and 20.

talastan
12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I think that by having the basis of a good DE, then this guy will set himself up for getting sacks. It'll be hard to sack a QB if the other team can just run the ball for a first down. The D keeps the opposition at third and long, then Orakpo, DJ, Dorsey, or whoever can pin their ears back and kill the QB. He has proven at Texas he is very versatile in a pass rush and at protecting the edges. I think he is our guy. Legit pass rush (like Allen, or ol' Neil Smith), with the ability to stop the run if needed.

Iowanian
12-19-2008, 12:37 PM
One thing that would make me nervous about that dude is how much muscle he's added.

Guys with that much strength and muscle often end up with tendonitis, joint problems etc.....the muscles are too strong for the tendons and ligaments.

Where is his flexibility?

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
One thing that would make me nervous about that dude is how much muscle he's added.

Guys with that much strength and muscle often end up with tendonitis, joint problems etc.....the muscles are too strong for the tendons and ligaments.

Where is his flexibility?...while MAINTAINING 8% BODY FAT.

googlegoogle
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I need to hear more experts like Mayock talk about him to persuade me.

If there are negative things about his speed at the combines then forget it.

If he is a legit Strahan type then take him.

Silock
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Where is his flexibility?

Relax. He's on 'roids. His ligaments and tendons are fine.

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I need to hear more experts like Mayock talk about him to persuade me.

If there are negative things about his speed at the combines then forget it.

If he is a legit Strahan type then take him.
Here's Mayock's top 20 list of seniors...

1. Aaron Curry - LB - Wake Forest
2. Malcolm Jenkins - CB - Ohio St
3. Eugene Monroe - T - Hoos (said teams who want a pass blocker would like him)
4. Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Okie St
5. Jason Smith - T - Baylor (same for him as Monroe. Mayock never seen this guy line up in 3 point stance and run block due to Baylors scheme)
6. Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas
7. Rey Maulauga - LB - USC
8. BJ Raji - DT - Boston College
9. Brian Cushing - LB - USC
10. Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
11. Michael Oher - T - Ole Miss (Doesnt think he is very consistent, but very talented)
12. Larry English - DE/LB - Northern Illinois
13. James Laurinitaus - LB - Ohio St
14. William Moore - S - Mizzou
15. Clint Sintim - LB - Hoos
16. Alphonso Smith - CB - Muck City
17. Max Unger - C - Oregon
18. Rashad Johnson - S - Alabama
19. Michael Johnson - DE - GaTech
20. Louis Delmas - S - Western Michigan

Funny- people laughed at my 2nd round selection of BJ Raji, too. Who's laughing now? The top seniors at their positions according to Mayock.