PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs rookie Albert is making himself heard

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Chiefs rookie Albert is making himself heard (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/943913.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

It wasn’t long ago that Branden Albert was a shy, quiet rookie who slipped into and out of the Chiefs’ locker room without being noticed, difficult as it might be to hide a 316-pound left tackle.

It wasn’t long ago that Albert was another name on the injury list, a foot and then an ankle and then an elbow, another player who seemed destined to carry that dreaded tag: “injury-prone.”

Now in struts Albert, bellowing across the Chiefs’ locker room toward a teammate or serenading a few dozen unlucky souls with his falsetto rendition of an R&B song. In walks a new man, a confident man, who carries a team’s expectations on his broad shoulders.

“We told him: ‘Hey, it’s OK to be you,’ ” says veteran guard Brian Waters, Albert’s mentor and former training camp roommate.

That’s not a problem anymore. Albert is confident and outgoing, and he says that comes with settling into the comfort of a new position and the end of a 16-game adjustment period. A writer asked Albert this week about how satisfied he is with his rookie season. It’s been solid, coaches and teammates will say. And the fact that Albert’s name doesn’t come in news conferences or team meetings is a good thing for a left tackle.

“What,” Albert says, his eyes wide, “do you think I should’ve made the Pro Bowl?”

He’s kidding, but coaches say that could be possible in Albert’s future. He was a first-round pick this season, and his rookie year has been one of a few bright spots for the 2-12 Chiefs. Albert is expected to finish this season as one of a handful of rookies to match performance with hype.

His road hasn’t been easy, of course. Weeks after injuring his ankle during offseason practice, Albert hurt his foot during training camp. He missed the preseason. Coaches expected him to play part of the Chiefs’ opener at New England, but sure enough, he played all but a few snaps. Didn’t even look winded afterward.

A few weeks later, he dislocated his elbow, causing the big man to miss a game. He said watching his teammates practice and play was torture to him, and it made him question whether he really was cut out for the NFL’s grueling demands and schedule.

“I was like: ‘How can this happen to me again?’” he says. “Everybody is saying, ‘Well, he’s hurt again. How can he stay on the field if he’s always hurt? You drafted a left tackle who’s always hurting.’ That was on my mind. You can’t walk out there with your teammates. You’re a rookie, and you can’t battle with your teammates each week.

“You kind of start second-guessing yourself. I really thought: ‘Maybe this is going to be how my career goes.’ ”

He was quiet during those weeks, slipping out of the locker room and into the training room without much fanfare. But it was during that time that he made an impression on coaches and teammates. He didn’t beg out of obligations or skip workouts. Instead, he kept showing up and kept staying awake. That’s what Waters noticed.

“When he was hurt,” Waters says, “he was watching more film than anybody. He didn’t go to sleep like some guys do. ‘I’m not playing for a couple weeks, not practicing; I might as well relax.’ He wasn’t like that. He was very uptight about the fact that he wasn’t practicing. That type of character and that type of motivation, you rarely see it in young guys.”

Waters says there was something he liked immediately about Albert when he met him at training camp. Albert was focused and determined; he played guard at the University of Virginia and wasn’t taking his move to left tackle as too simple or too difficult. He was willing to work and learn from the veterans around him.

Waters took an interest in Albert and made it a point to keep him grounded. It might have been the easiest job Waters ever had.

“For a guy who’s a first-round draft pick; for a guy with all the ability,” Waters says, “normally those guys come in with a little bit of an air of confidence — overconfidence, to be exact — and he never has, ever, showed that. He’s as long-term as they get.”

Waters should know. He was selected this week for his fourth Pro Bowl in five seasons. Albert noticed and congratulated his friend and teammate.

Albert says he wants to be at that level someday, too. Coaches say they’d like him to be the Chiefs’ left tackle for a long time and if he keeps developing as he has this season, he’ll be headed to some of those Pro Bowls.

Albert says that he’s healthy now, and he’s finally comfortable in where this season has taken him.

“If they’ve penciled me in,” he says, “I want that to be in pen. In magic marker – they can’t erase that.”

Albert says he has learned when to be serious and when to be playful. Waters helped him with that, too. Albert says there are a few more things he’d like to learn from Waters during the next few seasons.

“I want to make the Pro Bowl along with him,” Albert says.

“That right there motivates me to be a better player. It shows me that now it’s time for me to be serious and work.”

Count Zarth
12-18-2008, 11:18 PM
If you watch this guy on the field, he's very demonstrative and "into it" after big plays. Seems like someone who might be a future leader.

Hoover
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Probably one of our best 1st rounders. Love this kid.

KcMizzou
12-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Excellent.

He's already got Water's respect... and that's good enough for me.

Keep up the good work, Brandon.

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Well their were two this year :D

Pitt Gorilla
12-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I still like the Dorsey pick long term, but Clady and Albert would have made nice bookends.

KcMizzou
12-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I still like the Dorsey pick long term, but Clady and Albert would have made nice bookends.People are down on Dorsey way too early.

And really, everyone who was anyone liked that pick.

Mecca
12-18-2008, 11:36 PM
People are down on Dorsey way too early.

And really, everyone who was anyone liked that pick.

It will probably help when Tim Krumrie gets fired.

InChiefsHell
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
It will probably help when Tim Krumrie gets fired.

DINGDINGDING!!! Exactly...

Extra Point
12-18-2008, 11:55 PM
I still like the Dorsey pick long term, but Clady and Albert would have made nice bookends.

Denver's coached Clady well: saw him deliver a great chop block out of the box this past Sunday.

HypnotizedMonkey
12-19-2008, 03:26 AM
this kid is awesome. Future pro-bowler.

J Diddy
12-19-2008, 03:27 AM
this kid is awesome. Future pro-bowler.

:thumb:

Ari Chi3fs
12-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Excellent.

Most people named Brandon suck... but Albert seems like one of the good ones.
:evil:

the Talking Can
12-19-2008, 04:36 AM

yup

Chiefs=Good
12-19-2008, 05:20 AM
If you watch this guy on the field, he's very demonstrative and "into it" after big plays. Seems like someone who might be a future leader.

yer ive noticed that.. hes always the first one there celebrating touchdowns...

triple
12-19-2008, 06:17 AM
noooooo the franchise will never recover from trading jared allen noooooooo

MikeMaslowski
12-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Excellent.

You know Waters is a Herm guy too tho right?

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
You know Waters is a Herm guy too tho right?

Waters says Herms short and curlies tickle his nose...

MikeMaslowski
12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
noooooo the franchise will never recover from trading jared allen noooooooo

We should have sold the team to Fargo, ND to be closer to him.

MikeMaslowski
12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Waters says Herms short and curlies tickle his nose...

DeJa Vu?

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
DeJa Vu?

you are now entering the twilight zone...

PhillyChiefFan
12-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Good Read.

I'm happy we got this kid, he seems like a leader with great character. I hope he is with the Chiefs for a long long time.

It gives me hope.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2008, 07:20 AM

Well.. his name is Branden, not Brandon. Although, that Flowers guy is pretty good too.

Skip Towne
12-19-2008, 07:26 AM

How many Brandons do we have now?

Rausch
12-19-2008, 07:26 AM

Right now I'm liking the Abert pick more.

And people were worried we'd reach for Albert...

alpha_omega
12-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Nice job...now, could we please get somebody on the right side!?!?!?!?

Rausch
12-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Nice job...now, could we please get somebody on the right side!?!?!?!?

We can, but that requires keeping Herm for one more year.

Apparently only Herm can draft and develop talent...

MOhillbilly
12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
i hate articles like this. ya alberts been good this year but i dont need fluff and filler. i mean who the **** knows if this guy is really gonna be game enough to anchor this line for the next 13 years like Mr.68 did.
i dont care if hes a rook or not injuried 3 times in one season doesnt sound good. you need to be a Machine to play in the NFL.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
How many Brandons do we have now?

Two. Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers.

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
We can, but that requires keeping Herm for one more year.

Apparently only Herm can draft and develop talent...

:clap:

True, without Herm your franchise is set up for FAIL...

chiefsngop
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
i hate articles like this. ya alberts been good this year but i dont need fluff and filler. i mean who the **** knows if this guy is really gonna be game enough to anchor this line for the next 13 years like Mr.68 did.
i dont care if hes a rook or not injuried 3 times in one season doesnt sound good. you need to be a Machine to play in the NFL.

None of his injuries should be nagging. And he's proved he can recover from and play through injuries, which is even more important in the NFL. Most those guys on the field are hurt, in some way, by week 5. You just can't tell.

Why do you hate articles like this ? We're 2-12, negative articles are cookie cutter by this point.

chiefsngop
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
yer ive noticed that.. hes always the first one there celebrating touchdowns...

I'm just glad he didn't take his cues from McIntosh. McIntosh is an A**hole that walks off the field after giving up a sack with his back turned, and doesn't even help his QB up, that he just got killed.

CoMoChief
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Jesus guys he's a fuckin rookie. IMO he's done a hell of a job. Just stay healthy and he will be fine. Sky's the limit for this guy.

Frosty
12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm just glad he didn't take his cues from McIntosh.

So how is that the year most of would like to see McIntosh off of the field, he stays perfectly healthy all season?

I guess not blocking anyone prolongs your career. :rolleyes:

Hydrae
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I am impressed with how well he has transitioned to the tackle position. Whichever scout saw this potential should be selecting our new RT in this draft.

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I still don't understand why anyone on here even brings up OT as a potential position for us to draft in the 1st round this year. If you watch Albert play, it's obvious that he's a future Pro Bowler at left tackle - the kid is legit. Moving him to guard would be a total waste of his talent and using a top 3 pick on a right tackle would be moronic.

HemiEd
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I gotta give milkman his props on this guy. I had never heard of him, and milkman kept pimping him on here, long before the draft.
Nobody else was talking about him that I had noticed.

MOhillbilly
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
None of his injuries should be nagging. And he's proved he can recover from and play through injuries, which is even more important in the NFL. Most those guys on the field are hurt, in some way, by week 5. You just can't tell.

Why do you hate articles like this ? We're 2-12, negative articles are cookie cutter by this point.

cart before the horse syndrome. does he have potential? ya. but i dont give two shits about potential kinda like i dont give a shit about speculation threads about what the seasons gonna be like, whos gettin drafted or whos gettin fired/ hired. Im from Missouri, you gotta show me. there was a time when i gave a shit but as the years have gone by i just care about what the players do on the field come sunday.
life as a KC fan seems easier.

milkman
12-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Two. Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers.

If we could Brandon Spikes to the mix, we could have the inside track on the all Brandon Team.

milkman
12-20-2008, 09:21 AM
cart before the horse syndrome. does he have potential? ya. but i dont give two shits about potential kinda like i dont give a shit about speculation threads about what the seasons gonna be like, whos gettin drafted or whos gettin fired/ hired. Im from Missouri, you gotta show me. there was a time when i gave a shit but as the years have gone by i just care about what the players do on the field come sunday.

What hasn't he shown you?

He's played extremely well for a rookie transitioning from guard to LT, and shown that he has the ability to play through pain, and that he has the desire to be the best.

BigChiefFan
12-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I am impressed with how well he has transitioned to the tackle position. Whichever scout saw this potential should be selecting our new RT in this draft.Actually if you watched the game tape of him, it was clear he was dominant and could move down the field in a hurry for a big man. I'm still not sold he's going to be a perenial PBer, but many contested he would be a solid contributer to the O-line.

Agent V
12-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm so relieved Albert is developing this well. Let's hope we have the same luck with a defensive end in the draft.

Agent V
12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
What hasn't he shown you?

He's played extremely well for a rookie transitioning from guard to LT, and shown that he has the ability to play through pain, and that he has the desire to be the best.

I still think that's awesome. The rookie moves from guard to left tackle his first year and completely shows up McIntosh, who can't handle moving from one side to the other (hell, he used it as an excuse).

milkman
12-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Actually if you watched the game tape of him, it was clear he was dominant and could move down the field in a hurry for a big man. I'm still not sold he's going to be a perenial PBer, but many contested he would be a solid contributer to the O-line.

I think he does have mulitple pro bowls in him.

He has what Mayock call "Dancer's feet", a huge wing span, and the frame to get bigger and stronger without losing that athleticism and gracefulness.

He has all the physical tools.

Now it's just a question of getting comfortable with the new position.

cabletech94
12-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm just glad he didn't take his cues from McIntosh. McIntosh is an A**hole that walks off the field after giving up a sack with his back turned, and doesn't even help his QB up, that he just got killed.

This.

We need to cannonize McInDouche. As in shoot his stupid ass out of KC in a cannon.

Also IIRC, we have 3 Brandons: Albert, Flowers, Carr.

milkman
12-20-2008, 10:10 AM
This.

We need to cannonize McInDouche. As in shoot his stupid ass out of KC in a cannon.

Also IIRC, we have 3 Brandons: Albert, Flowers, Carr.

Albert is "Branden". so technically not "Brandon".

cabletech94
12-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Dammit, I'm the one who hates spelling mistakes.

My bad Milkman!!

I thought I was cool, for just a minute.

Mosbonian
12-20-2008, 11:03 AM

I remember this kid we drafted in Rnd 1 at the 21st pick in '84....most people said "wtf" even though we desperately needed him at Left Tackle. His first year everyone raved about his work ethic and "potential".....

He did a pretty good job for 13 years.

mmaddog