PDA

View Full Version : Misc Fedex delivery routes

Guru
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM
OK, I placed an online order and received my tracking number. This one baffles me. Left Denver, CO Tuesday and tonight it is in....

Memphis, TN?

WTF?

You know it went down I-70 right through Topeka AND Kansas City since it is Ground delivery.

I'll never understand these shipping companies.

DaFace
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
FedEx hubs nearly everything through Memphis. It's a lot easier to deal with routes that all go to a central point than having to deal with a ton of substations where everything has to be re-sorted. So, it's certainly not the shortest route from point A to point B for a given package, but it's the most efficient in the long run.

doomy3
12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
FedEx hubs nearly everything through Memphis. It's a lot easier to deal with routes that all go to a central point than having to deal with a ton of substations where everything has to be re-sorted. So, it's certainly not the shortest route from point A to point B for a given package, but it's the most efficient in the long run.

Yep.

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Memphis is FedEx central hub for the US, all packeges most likely are sorted through there... Just like Lexington Kentucky, I think is UPS Americas sorting hub...

Guru
12-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Well. OK.

Makes no sense to me but I admittedly don't have a clue about the shipping business.

Guru
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Memphis is FedEx central hub for the US, all packeges most likely are sorted through there... Just like Lexington Kentucky, I think is UPS Americas sorting hub...I'll never forget the time I had a UPS package from Buy.com that actually left Topeka, KS just to go to Dallas or something and then come back to Topeka, KS. Made tons of sense to me.:doh!:

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I'll never forget the time I had a UPS package from Buy.com that actually left Topeka, KS just to go to Dallas or something and then come back to Topeka, KS. Made tons of sense to me.:doh!:

Yeah right, but it has to go through the system for the sorting process... Its is strange to say the least, but UPS and Fedex are da bombs...

Those and Southwest are the premium flying jobs in the world... Those 3 are my goals someday...

Guru
12-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah right, but it has to go through the system for the sorting process... Its is strange to say the least, but UPS and Fedex are da bombs...

Those and Southwest are the premium flying jobs in the world... Those 3 are my goals someday...Like I said, I don't have a clue when it comes to shipping. Just seems odd. I know there are reasons for everything but I may never understand how it is efficient. heh

Not a biggie. Just wanted to vent. :thumb:

Reerun_KC
12-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Like I said, I don't have a clue when it comes to shipping. Just seems odd. I know there are reasons for everything but I may never understand how it is efficient. heh

Not a biggie. Just wanted to vent. :thumb:

Just imagine me flying your package for you....

The m'fer will end up in Bangladash!

Guru
12-18-2008, 11:56 PM

The m'fer will end up in Bangladash!Better than Yemen.

veist
12-19-2008, 12:08 AM
When I buy shirts from Woot they go from Woot's warehouse in Texas to New Berlin, WI which is basically Milwaukee before coming to me in Chicago. I've had packages go from Cali to Indianapolis to get to me in Lawrence when I lived there. Plenty of seemingly bizarre routes which I assume are more dictated by maximum large scale efficiency and not getting my package to me specifically the fastest.

dj56dt58
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
maybe their gps systems really suck?

Guru
12-19-2008, 12:12 AM
maybe their gps systems really suck?Gotta getta Garmin

BWillie
12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
How come you can't send booze in the mail? I tried to send me friend a 30 pack of Keystone Ice for his birthday and they wouldn't let me.

Guru
12-19-2008, 01:04 AM
How come you can't send booze in the mail? I tried to send me friend a 30 pack of Keystone Ice for his birthday and they wouldn't let me.I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and take it and drink it. It's insured after all.

J Diddy
12-19-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and take it and drink it. It's insured after all.

have you ever drank keystone ice?

Guru
12-19-2008, 01:49 AM
have you ever drank keystone ice?Good point. And no, I haven't. I have had Keystone Light though.

J Diddy
12-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Good point. And no, I haven't. I have had Keystone Light though.

keystone ice is keystone light with rubbing alcohol poured in it

Guru
12-19-2008, 02:14 AM
keystone ice is keystone light with rubbing alcohol poured in itAhhhh, reminds me of the old days. Buying the cheapest beer you can afford that actually had a picture on the can.:thumb:

J Diddy
12-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Ahhhh, reminds me of the old days. Buying the cheapest beer you can afford that actually had a picture on the can.:thumb:

been down the hamms and schlitz road myself

compared to that keystone Ice is goldschlager

Guru
12-19-2008, 02:20 AM
been down the hamms and schlitz road myself

compared to that keystone Ice is goldschlagerI remember my first schlitz. It was also my last.:Lin:

J Diddy
12-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I remember my first schlitz. It was also my last.:Lin:

that's why they don't sell it by the can

cookster50
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Did you just say you want to fly his package? So you are going to take his package for a ride?

Lzen
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM
I'll never forget the time I had a UPS package from Buy.com that actually left Topeka, KS just to go to Dallas or something and then come back to Topeka, KS. Made tons of sense to me.:doh!:

You bought something from Buy.com that originated in Topeka? That doesn't make much sense. Where is Buy.com's warehouse?

Rooster
12-19-2008, 07:33 AM

This

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Did you just say you want to fly his package? So you are going to take his package for a ride?

:LOL:

ROFL

Dude! You better tighten up that package, were going for a RIDE!

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Better than Yemen.

Be thanful they didnt call you and say you have to pick it up...

Skip Towne
12-19-2008, 07:39 AM

The m'fer will end up in Bangladash!

Where?

Reerun_KC
12-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Where?

Tulsa

MOhillbilly
12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
How come you can't send booze in the mail? I tried to send me friend a 30 pack of Keystone Ice for his birthday and they wouldn't let me.

i sent delt 3/4 of a half gallon of jim beam about 5 years ago. id sworn off drinkin for my woman. then i said f that and got a new woman.

seclark
12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
i sent delt 3/4 of a half gallon of jim beam about 5 years ago. id sworn off drinkin for my woman. then i said f that and got a new woman.

booze will get you through times with no woman better than a woman can get you through times with no booze.
sec

Demonpenz
12-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I bought a shirt one time from old navy. hahahaha

mikeyis4dcats.
12-19-2008, 08:36 AM

you can't send hazardous materials through the mail.

Guru
12-19-2008, 05:02 PM
It has been at the Topeka facility now since 9am this morning and even though they deliver on Saturdays they WILL NOT deliver it until Monday because they have until then to meet the "estimated" delivery time.

God this shit is comical.

It is literally 2 miles from my house and I am not even allowed to drive to the facility to pick it up. Good thing this wasn't my game tickets.

blueballs
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
they hire people off the street during Christmas rush
Arnie thanks you for the Christmas bonus

DaFace
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
It has been at the Topeka facility now since 9am this morning and even though they deliver on Saturdays they WILL NOT deliver it until Monday because they have until then to meet the "estimated" delivery time.

God this shit is comical.

It is literally 2 miles from my house and I am not even allowed to drive to the facility to pick it up. Good thing this wasn't my game tickets.

I know it sounds crazy, but it's all about centralized distribution. My guess is that all of the trucks leave your local distro at 6 in the morning and don't come back until they're done for the day. So, anything that arrives later than that doesn't go out until the next day. I'm not 100% about the exact process, but I track UPS and FedEx packages all the time, and that's a pretty common occurrence.

And you have to pay extra for Saturday delivery typically.

Rain Man
12-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I tried to ship a proposal out on Monday, and when I showed up at the Fedex place ahead of the deadline for shipping, they informed me that they sent the shipments early because of the weather. My proposal thus arrived a day late and was rejected. There were a lot of unhappy people in that office, particularly since the weather wasn't bad other than being really cold.

Guru
12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but it's all about centralized distribution. My guess is that all of the trucks leave your local distro at 6 in the morning and don't come back until they're done for the day. So, anything that arrives later than that doesn't go out until the next day. I'm not 100% about the exact process, but I track UPS and FedEx packages all the time, and that's a pretty common occurrence.

And you have to pay extra for Saturday delivery typically.Oh, I wasn't upset it didn't get shipped to my house today. Just that I wasn't allowed to drive over and pick it up today.

I have received several Fedex deliveries on Saturdays though.

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke-hub_distribution_paradigm

eazyb81
12-19-2008, 05:17 PM

Those and Southwest are the premium flying jobs in the world... Those 3 are my goals someday...

I can understand UPS and FedEx, but Southwest? The legacy carriers pay their pilots much more than Southwest does.

Cooter
12-19-2008, 05:21 PM

I learned that by watching the movie Castaway.

DaFace
12-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh, I wasn't upset it didn't get shipped to my house today. Just that I wasn't allowed to drive over and pick it up today.

I have received several Fedex deliveries on Saturdays though.

Ah, yeah, I'll agree with that. I do miss living in a relatively small town for that reason. In Emporia, if a package got to the little UPS disto there, they'd let you come and pick it up with ID. I've tried out here, and they won't let you do that unless they've tried to deliver it once.

Guru
12-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Ah, yeah, I'll agree with that. I do miss living in a relatively small town for that reason. In Emporia, if a package got to the little UPS disto there, they'd let you come and pick it up with ID. I've tried out here, and they won't let you do that unless they've tried to deliver it once.I worked in that little hole in the wall for about 2 months.

Bowser
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
That's what you get for using Fed-Ex, dummy. ;)

Guru
12-19-2008, 07:19 PM
That's what you get for using Fed-Ex, dummy. ;)ROFL

Iowanian
12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Just be glad your package wasn't with Chuck Noland somewhere in the South Pacific.

If it is, I hope your package is a volleyball or ice skates.

Guru
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Just be glad your package wasn't with Chuck Noland somewhere in the South Pacific.

If it is, I hope your package is a volleyball or ice skates.http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/cast_away_movie_Wilson_football.jpg

Iowanian
12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!

Guru
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Don't worry Wilson, I'll do all the paddling. You just hang on.