PDA

View Full Version : Life Going on my first Cruise........with the Fam.

CoMoChief
12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Never been on one before. I'm going with the family over the New Years holiday, coming back the 10th. Cruising around St. Thomas. BVI area.

Should be fun. Got my own room, don't have to share with anyone which is great for getting with a lady or 2 while Im there.

Tips on what to do while, what to look out for? Going on a Carnival Cruiseship, apparantly its one of their newer ones.

One thing I've always wanted to do was swim with some dolphins

Donger
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Norovirus.

Saulbadguy
12-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Which Carnival ship? Where is it going?

Tip 1 - Don't take the "Bon Voyage" drink that ALL of the staff will be offering you when you board the ship. Its like 10 bucks for a foo foo drink in a crappy plastic "souveneir" glass.

Tip 2- don't overpack.

Dolphin swimming is pretty pricey. I'll think of more.

Iowanian
12-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Take a sword to fight off the pirates.

Monty
12-19-2008, 03:04 PM
We just went on a cruise last summer. St. Thomas was one of the stops. If you're looking for cheap liquor to take home, the Kmart has the best prices. Yes, Kmart. :) I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. Paradise Point is a great location too.

http://www.stthomasskyride.com/

healthpellets
12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
eat much. drink more. hang out on the dance floor and wait for the really drunk girls to show up at midnight. you'll be the class of the party.

CoMoChief
12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Take a sword to fight off the pirates.

Thought of that already.....but thanks.

CoMoChief
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Which Carnival ship? Where is it going?

Tip 1 - Don't take the "Bon Voyage" drink that ALL of the staff will be offering you when you board the ship. Its like 10 bucks for a foo foo drink in a crappy plastic "souveneir" glass.

Tip 2- don't overpack.

Dolphin swimming is pretty pricey. I'll think of more.

I think its called the Splendor. Leaves Ft Lauderdale, goes around BVI St Thomas area, then comes back to Ft Lauderdale. about a 8-9 day trip.

excessive
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Going on the same one. First time,too. Carnival Glory, leaving Port Canaveral on the 3rd, going to Nassau, St.Thomas, and St. Maarten.

What's the best way to smuggle booze on is the question that I have.

JimNasium
12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm happy for you but I can think of few things I'd rather not do. Being held hostage on a boat with people I don't know nor care for sounds like torture for the soul.

Saulbadguy
12-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Going on the same one. First time,too. Carnival Glory, leaving Port Canaveral on the 3rd, going to Nassau, St.Thomas, and St. Maarten.

You are allowed one bottle of wine upon embarkation.

healthpellets
12-19-2008, 03:18 PM

you can fly with it. so try it. the only thing you can't fly with is 151 and similar liquors. just load one of your two suitcases up and see if you get it on board. of course, don't let the luggage guys hear the bottle clinking.

excessive
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
You are allowed one bottle of wine upon embarkation.

That's a start.

Count Alex's Losses
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Wonder how often people hook up on boats.

excessive
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
you can fly with it. so try it. the only thing you can't fly with is 151 and similar liquors. just load one of your two suitcases up and see if you get it on board. of course, don't let the luggage guys hear the bottle clinking.

plastic bottles?

Fairplay
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Saulbadguy is that Dwight Yoakam in your avatar?

BigChiefFan
12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Wonder how often people hook up on boats.The Love Boat...soon you'll be making love...the Love Boat...

healthpellets
12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
plastic bottles?

it's been a while since i've been on one. don't know if they search all the bags prior to boarding or not. i can see random checks, but i'd be somewhat surprised if they searched every single bag. just take a few bottles and if they confiscate them, worst that will happen is that you'll get them back upon disembarkment. and if they do take them, purchase some fantastic rum at one of your destinations and sneak it back on board.

healthpellets
12-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Wonder how often people hook up on boats.

often. very very often. some people hook up on the main deck in lawn chairs at the back of the boat.

Fairplay
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWyxZR69CI0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWyxZR69CI0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fritz88
12-19-2008, 03:54 PM
sexually harass the dolphins..see what they do..and record it for us..

Delano
12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't wander around drunk and alone or you may find yourself treading water in the ocean watching the cruiseliner carry on.

Donger
12-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I actually admire people who can go on a cruise and not get arrested for multiple murders when they reach port. I can do a few hours on a plane without going a bit off, but I think I'd go crazy on a boat with a few thousand strangers.

Radar Chief
12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
sexually harass the dolphins..see what they do..and record it for us..

I will now attempt to stick my thumb up his but.
Oh yea, hes pissed.

jidar
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Is it Tom... Cruise?

Ari Chi3fs
12-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I went on one in 1997, when I was 185, ripped and single. Oh my.

I was juggling 4 different women on the boat... and it completely backfired on me.

The recommendation... find ONE and play with her all weekend. Don't get greedy, it will backfire.

Fish
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I actually admire people who can go on a cruise and not get arrested for multiple murders when they reach port. I can do a few hours on a plane without going a bit off, but I think I'd go crazy on a boat with a few thousand strangers.

I agree. I can't see anything remotely entertaining about a vacation in which I'm confined to a cramped floating hotel in the middle of the ocean and a planned itinerary of "fun events" with total strangers. I'd be bored senseless within a matter of hours.

Chief Henry
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
They have great comedians on cruises :) They usually have two shows nightly, one about 9:30 that's the PG 13 show and the midnight show that's the strong R rated show.

The alcoholic beverages are NOT cheap, around $5.00 to $7.00 each. Go to the captains party, they give free drinks out at that party. Slam a few while your at that one.

If eating is your thing, then you'll be in heaven. My family and I have had the late dining experience and the early seating too. I personally like the late dinning myself. The casual dining areas where they serve the pizza has a great grill area too with cheese burgers and fries
too. Lots of stir fry types of food in that grill area. Just plan on gaining 5 lbs while your on the ship !!!

The shows are usually very good with the Vegas style dancing and costumes.

We've been to all the islands in the Caribbean and have done numerous off shore excursions.
They're not cheap, typically $80 to $150 each. About ten years ago at our stop in St. Thomas one of there off shore excursions was a boat trip on the "Wild Thing" If I recall it had
two HUGE ENGINES with a large stabilizer bar across the back. That boat just screamed around the island. They gave you free Rum punch too :) They stopped at a beach for about
two hours and then brought you back to the pick up spot. My wife and I both said we'd do that again. They have many "Booze Cruz's" available for off shore excursions. Since your' going with family I don't know if that fits your style or not. Swimming with the dolphins
off shore excursions are not CHEAP but what ever floats your boat man.

The swimming pools on the boat are NOT filled w/ fresh water !!!!

After you pack your suit case, do it again and this time take out 1/2 of the clothes you pack (seriously)... sun screen is a must, pepto bismal is a must because you just never know.

You don't need cash on the boat. They give you a (sail and sign card)...its just like a credit card that you also use to open your room with. Don't loose that thing. You can put a $$$ limit on each card. It protects you from (getting carried away while your drunk). You pay it off at the end of the cruise. Don't buy any thing on the boat like pics or jewelry or bottle of booze until the last day of the trip. They cut prices substantially. You'll need cash in the ports of call. If you like to haggle with the natives about prices, you'll enjoy the ports of call.

They usually have a meeting for all guest in the big entertainment room early on in the cruise,
usually the first several hours while you float away from the dock. I would highly recommend you go to that. The cruise director goes over many items of interest in that meeting. They tell you about all ports you'll be stopping at. Usually they go over what stores in each port to go to if you want "special deals" on jewelry. Every cruise we've been on (6 or 7 now) the
jewelry stores like to sell tanzanite...Every port has dozens and dozens of t-shirt souvenirs shops. They're all about the same after awhile...so are the jewelry stores. If you want to buy a watch, the boat and the jewelry shops will have cheap ones and expensive ones--many of each to pick from.

When in port, as soon as you get off the boat you will be blitzed by taxi drivers wanting to give you a ride. Be Careful when in port....if you get off the main streets, those islands get very
dirty looking FAST, becareful.

I hope your near the top of the boat. It will make departing much easier. If your on a bottom deck, you'll be the last to get off. That can be a drag...... Don't try and smuggle ANYTHING on or off the boat. It isn't worth the $$$ savings. If you buy booze on the ship, they won't let you take it back to your room. They'll put it outside your room the night before you leave.

The night before you depart the ship they'll want you to put your suit cases outside the room so they can pack it up while your asleep. They are very serious about drugs. They bring drug sniffing dogs on to the ship the night before you get off the ship while all the luggage is in the hall way. The dogs sniff the luggage for STUFF.

When you get on the ship, your luggage might not arrive at your room for hours. Just wear something comfortable boarding the ship and you'll be fine.

Once everyone is on the ship, you have to go to your "Mustar Station". Listen for the announcements. beofre each announcement the a Bell or DING will sound. You'll understand once your on the ship. They have to do an emergency evacuation plan before they can depart the dock. They make your wear the orange life vest and tie around your waist. That can be a drag for awhile. Find a shady spot for this evacuation plan. After that's over. Get to the top of the deck and watch the ship depart the port area. I think its pretty cool thing to do. This is a good time to explore the ship up top too.

If your worried about your hair on the cruise, bring some spray or moose because it will be windy when your up top.

We love to cruise. We were on one this past March. You can be as active as you want or you can just relax and veg out and watch people. There is no way you can be bored on a cruise.

The departing meeting is important too. I would suggest that you DON'T miss that meeting.

They have tight security when you get on and off the boat at each port of call. Your sail and sign card will have your picture on it and you'll need that to get on and off the ship at each port of call.

Have some fun. You will create many memories while you are treaty like royalty.

Merry Christmas.

KCCHIEFS27
12-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Went on one last year, the worst time of my life. Of course, I'm afraid of the ocean, floating in the middle of nowhere, sharks, rouge waves and dolphins..yes I said it, dolphins are sneaky little bastards..anyways, you'll have a great time I'm sure. Any problems with motion sickness?

Donger
12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
The swimming pools on the boat are NOT filled w/ fresh water !!!!

Pee?

Fairplay
12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't try and smuggle ANYTHING on or off the boat. It isn't worth the $$$ savings.

Dude, i just want a pound of Jamaican's finest ganja, that's all.

Saulbadguy
12-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Saulbadguy is that Dwight Yoakam in your avatar?

Yes.

Gracie Dean
12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
we cruise every year. They are getting more picky about sneaking alcohol on. Last year hubby lost his bottle.

try googling rum runners

excessive
12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Chief Henry;5311846]
I hope your near the top of the boat. It will make departing much easier. If your on a bottom deck, you'll be the last to get off. That can be a drag...... Don't try and smuggle ANYTHING on or off the boat. It isn't worth the $$$ savings. If you buy booze on the ship, they won't let you take it back to your room. They'll put it outside your room the night before you leave.

Thanks for the info, Chief Henry. I'll take your advice and not smuggle anything.
What about the bottle of wine they let you carry on? Is that for dining only or can you take it to your room?

Buehler445
12-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I went on one with the wifey for our honeymoon. Every word Chief Henry said is true.

Here are my tips.

Alcohol costs money. If you're gonna drink, get fucked up. If you just want one, its typically not worth it.

Shore excursions are pretty fun. Depending on what you like to do, I liked the ones that just let me chill on the beach with the wife. Some other others would have been fun too though. Try to catch some local cuisine. The tour guide folks can usually hook you up with some good grub. DO NOT BE LATE. The bitch ass boat will leave you and laugh all the way to the bank.

If you don't do anything else, go to the dinner every night. Don't dress like a douchenozzle, but you don't need to wear a tie or anything. The food at the dinners is FAR superior to the rest of the food on the boat (which is pretty damn good in and of itself). But the food is amazing and the service is better. It is a drag making yourself look decent, but it is well worth it. Don't worry if you're drunk. The couple we were with were drunk as fuck every day. They won't kick you out unless you're an ass.

Eat everything in sight. It's free. If you don't like something, fuck it, go get something else. Try to eat as many different things as you can. It's pretty good. Eat desert. Exercise when you get back.

Go to the evening entertainment (unless you're getting ass). It is good.

Be nice to the staff. They really bust their asses for their jobs. They're also very helpful if you have questions. Carnival really does a fantastic job.

Stinger
12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Lot of good information on Cruising at this board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Don't be afraid to make your own itinerary when at the ports. Do your research and go off with your friends on your own excursions and not the ships. You will save tons of money.

Also my family loves St. Thomas one the most beautiful beaches is there Megans Bay. Been in the 10 of most beautiful beaches in the world.
http://images.travelpod.com/users/smachim/cruise_2005.1133364300.stthomas25.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/333662218_a850ee1202.jpg

If you would like a beach that has more snorkeling go to Sapphire Beach.

Ebolapox
12-19-2008, 09:47 PM
the wife and I went on a cruise as part of our honeymoon. it was a great experience--she wanted to go on one, I didn't (not a fan of the water)--glad she convinced me, it was fantastic.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I think its called the Splendor. Leaves Ft Lauderdale, goes around BVI St Thomas area, then comes back to Ft Lauderdale. about a 8-9 day trip.

Oh thank god! I'll be on a cruise over new years also on Carnival, but not the Splendor. It'll be my first cruise in 8 years and the first time on Carnival. I've been on 6 Royal Caribbean cruises.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Oh thank god! I'll be on a cruise over new years also on Carnival, but not the Splendor. It'll be my first cruise in 8 years and the first time on Carnival. I've been on 6 Royal Caribbean cruises.

Carnival does a very nice job IMO. I had zero complaints about the service I received from Carnival.