PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Valkyrie - What's the word?

Buehler445
12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I saw some discussion on Valkyrie in another thread and thought it deserved some discussion.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? I am thinking this movie has the real potential to suck. I don't like Cruise, and the film isn't done in German.

This is one of the films that I think should be done in the native language. It is such a tremendously historical event, that reality needs to be maintained. The fact that it is not done in German, suggests that they didn't try too hard to stick to the actual situation. JMO.

Anyway, I love WWII, and the end of Hitler and cloaked government of Nazi Germany is wildly interesting, so there is tremendous potential, but there is also potential for them to blow it big time.

What do you guys think? Feel free to post any reviews or inside track information. Pretty much all I know about the movie is the previews that play at the theatre.

Ebolapox
12-19-2008, 11:09 PM
The word? Bird. Bird is the word.
http://martin.hinchliffe.googlepages.com/PeterGriffin3_edited.jpg/PeterGriffin3_edited-full.jpg

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a...
A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody's talking about the bird!
A-well-a bird...
Surfin' bird
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb... [retching noises]... aaah!
Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-
Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-oom-oom-oom
Oom-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-a-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Well don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!

Guru
12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I saw some discussion on Valkyrie in another thread and thought it deserved some discussion.

What are you guys' thoughts on this one? I am thinking this movie has the real potential to suck. I don't like Cruise, and the film isn't done in German.

This is one of the films that I think should be done in the native language. It is such a tremendously historical event, that reality needs to be maintained. The fact that it is not done in German, suggests that they didn't try too hard to stick to the actual situation. JMO.

Anyway, I love WWII, and the end of Hitler and cloaked government of Nazi Germany is wildly interesting, so there is tremendous potential, but there is also potential for them to blow it big time.

What do you guys think? Feel free to post any reviews or inside track information. Pretty much all I know about the movie is the previews that play at the theatre.Tom didn't want to learn German.

Buehler445
12-19-2008, 11:12 PM
The word? Bird. Bird is the word.

I'm going to stab you.

KcMizzou
12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Omar fucked Bird up with his testimony.

Guru
12-19-2008, 11:29 PM
European VAcation is on TNT

Count Alex's Losses
12-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Tom didn't want to learn German.

Copout. German accent would have sufficed.

Has Cruise ever effected an accent in any movie?

OVERRATED POS

Guru
12-20-2008, 12:51 AM

OVERRATED POS

Completely agree. The least he could have done was try to do a German accent.

Agent V
12-20-2008, 01:04 AM
If he's not playing a fat, foul-mouthed, dancing producer, I'm not interested.

beavis
12-20-2008, 01:25 AM
The fact that they let Cruise play this part is a travesity. It's much too important of story to be played by his worthless ass.

Guru
12-20-2008, 01:55 AM
The fact that they let Cruise play this part is a travesity. It's much too important of story to be played by his worthless ass.Too bad Tom hired Tom.

Ebolapox
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Too bad Tom hired Tom.

tom looking in the mirror, interviewing himself for the lead role in valkyrie:

Tom, Tom. GO!

Guru
12-20-2008, 02:00 AM
tom looking in the mirror, interviewing himself for the lead role in valkyrie:

Tom, Tom. GO!Something tells me Tom interviewing Tom would be entertaining in some way.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Something tells me Tom interviewing Tom would be entertaining in some way.

Much more entertaining than it should be.

Guru
12-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Much more entertaining than it should be.Probably. heh

CrazyPhuD
12-20-2008, 02:25 AM
This movie will suck more than Tom Cruise in the bathroom of a gay bar(in SD).

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:33 AM
I have to ask: Why the Tom Cruise hate?

I'm no apologist for the guy's personal life but he's the biggest movie star in the world. He's very professional on set and delivers $100 million dollar movies like a chicken passing eggs. He's passionate about the movie business, he's currently the head of United Artists and he majorly poked fun at the business and himself in "Tropic Thunder".

I'm curious because the opinions expressed in this thread are contradictory to his fame and success.

Guru
12-20-2008, 02:34 AM

I'm no apologist for the guy's personal life but he's the biggest movie star in the world. He's very professional on set and delivers $100 million dollar movies like a chicken passing eggs. He's passionate about the movie business, he's currently the head of United Artists and he majorly poked fun at the business and himself in "Tropic Thunder".

I'm curious because the opinions expressed in this thread are contradictory to his fame and success.

I'm just tired of him. Ever since the whole Katie storm and the Scientology rush.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm just tired of him. Ever since the whole Katie storm and the Scientology rush.

I get that and I alluded to that. I thought that was ridiculous as well, especially his attack of poor Brooke Shields. The 24-hour media is a detriment to nearly every entertainer.

But that being said, I was totally impressed with his performance in "War of the Worlds" (the movie he was out promoting during that "phase") and I'd be shocked if "Valkryie" isn't a good (if not excellent) movie.

Guru
12-20-2008, 02:43 AM
I get that and I alluded to that. I thought that was ridiculous as well, especially his attack of poor Brooke Shields. The 24-hour media is a detriment to nearly every entertainer.

But that being said, I was totally impressed with his performance in "War of the Worlds" (the movie he was out promoting during that "phase") and I'd be shocked if "Valkryie" isn't a good (if not excellent) movie.
I didn't care for War at all. Partly because of the timing. Ironically, I felt the movie was too short though.

ONe thing I will say about Cruise, he throws himself into every role he takes on.

CrazyPhuD
12-20-2008, 02:46 AM

The problem is his high profile personal crap. I used to like his material, but honestly considering all the negative personal foo that's come out in the past 5 years or so I just don't have any interest in watching his productions any more. I'm never going to claim that he was a great actor but he used to create a bunch of fun enjoyable flicks. Now I just have no interest in supporting his movies. Before the fact that Tom Cruise was in a movie was a marketing draw. Now he's become a marketing liability. The fact that he's in a movie will cause some people to not watch something they otherwise might.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:46 AM
I didn't care for War at all. Partly because of the timing. Ironically, I felt the movie was too short though.

ONe thing I will say about Cruise, he throws himself into every role he takes on.

It was "okay" IMO. Much better than the original IMHO and the "twist" was interesting.

All in all, much better than I was expecting but nothing near "Vanilla Sky" or "Eyes Wide Shut" (which I thought was crazy-ass but cool).

Guru
12-20-2008, 02:51 AM
It was "okay" IMO. Much better than the original IMHO and the "twist" was interesting.

All in all, much better than I was expecting but nothing near "Vanilla Sky" or "Eyes Wide Shut" (which I thought was crazy-ass but cool).I really enjoyed Vanilla Sky. I think it was the last Cruise flick I did enjoy. A lot of people really dogged on it too.

Personally, I would like to see him just stay out of the spotlight for a while. Make movies but just don't do the publicity runs.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:54 AM
I really enjoyed Vanilla Sky. I think it was the last Cruise flick I did enjoy. A lot of people really dogged on it too.

Personally, I would like to see him just stay out of the spotlight for a while. Make movies but just don't do the publicity runs.

I get that.

But if you don't do the publicity, most people don't know it exists.

Take the new "Guns 'N' Roses" record; Axl refused to do any interviews or pub and after the first week (the hardcore fans), the album dropped 70%.

It's a necessary evil.

BWillie
12-20-2008, 02:58 AM

I honestly don't think they believe in this Scientology shit. I think it's just a way to bury a bunch of money and write it off on taxes. Nobody could actually believe in that stupid crap. It's dumber than Mormonism

CrazyPhuD
12-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I get that.

Take the new "Guns 'N' Roses" record; Axl refused to do any interviews or pub and after the first week (the hardcore fans), the album dropped 70%.

It's a necessary evil.

Actually if Tom want's to do pub that's fine...I don't have a problem with that...but he really needs to turn down the personal side. Yes the paparazi crap can't be affected, but you're a fricking movie star, don't be pretending you are holier than thou or preaching religion when something like 80-90+% of the US populace doesn't agree with you. It's just pissing people off that will have an impact on your bottom line. As a studio head he should know better. Unfortunately his personal life will affect the bottom line of his movies.

Guru
12-20-2008, 03:02 AM
I get that.

It's a necessary evil.I'll probably end up seeing this when it gets to the $2 theater here as the story itself interests me. The non German thing will bug me though.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Actually if Tom want's to do pub that's fine...I don't have a problem with that...but he really needs to turn down the personal side. Yes the paparazi crap can't be affected, but you're a fricking movie star, don't be pretending you are holier than thou or preaching religion when something like 80-90+% of the US populace doesn't agree with you. It's just pissing people off that will have an impact on your bottom line. As a studio head he should know better. Unfortunately his personal life will affect the bottom line of his movies.

I get that and mentioned it in my post. He's been on a few shows lately apologizing for his behavior but I don't think people are ready to forgive and forget so soon. It'll probably take another 5 years.

As for his B.O. numbers, WotW wasn't affected in the least.

Valkryie may be very different though. That's a tough sell for anyone.

CrazyPhuD
12-20-2008, 03:12 AM
I get that and mentioned it in my post. He's been on a few shows lately apologizing for his behavior but I don't think people are ready to forgive and forget so soon. It'll probably take another 5 years.

As for his B.O. numbers, WotW wasn't affected in the least.

Valkryie may be very different though. That's a tough sell for anyone.

And actually this is where things like Tropic Thunder is great for him. THe movie isn't about him he had a supporting role and made fun of himself. It lets the audience get back to the 'fun' tom without the movie having the controversy. I wonder if what might be best is for him to do some 'bubblegum' flicks. Nothing serious or controversial, just back to fun tom. That combined with the toned down personal life could endear him to the populace again.

Go back to his early days when he was paired with a strong second lead, things like rain man, cocktail, a few good men, etc...

Count Alex's Losses
12-20-2008, 03:54 AM

All that is true but it's still kind of dumb to play a nazi with an american accent.

Did you like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood?

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 04:57 AM

OVERRATED POS

GREAT POINT! I had NEVER thought of that.

On another note; if I believed in the End Times, I would surely view this as a sign( or at least the end of sexuality ):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_z13XymWVU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_z13XymWVU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 04:59 AM
I honestly don't think they believe in this Scientology shit. I think it's just a way to bury a bunch of money and write it off on taxes. Nobody could actually believe in that stupid crap. It's dumber than Mormonism

Or as I like to call them; the "Two Steps Removed From Scientology Contingent".

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 05:12 AM

His greatest flaw is that he is such a caricature of himself. He doesn't do character anymore; he takes the character and defines it with a 20/80 mix of the role as intended, and the other half is "Hey, I'm Tom Cruise"!

His intensity and facial expressions are the same god damned recepie, film to film, regardless of movie. That goes for vocal inflection too.

The guy has lost his way, if in fact he ever had one.

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 05:21 AM
oh I've been entertained by a lot of Tom Cruise's movies prior to the year 2000: Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Rain Man, Cocktail, Risky Business. Is he a great actor? no. I read something that he's actually the most overpayed actor ever, since most of his movies don't make much compared to what they pay him or something like that.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 05:31 AM
oh I've been entertained by a lot of Tom Cruise's movies prior to the year 2000: Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Rain Man, Cocktail, Risky Business. Is he a great actor? no. I read something that he's actually the most overpayed actor ever, since most of his movies don't make much compared to what they pay him or something like that.

The last great character-gig in which he went outside of himself( though not to an amazing degree )was his role in 'Interview'. After that, it just became the 'Tom Cruise' show.

By the by, fuck Brad Pitt and his bitching about the character of 'Louis'. What, you didn't read the script there, fuck-tard? I know you sure as hell didn't read the book. Fascist.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 09:24 AM

I don't know Dane, I'm not really hating on Cruise, I just don't think Cruise will be a good fit for the role. I guess my biggest concern is that he never plays someone I can relate to. In a lot of his movies, something is over the top, his emotion, his suaveness or whatever the hell he has going for him. In all his movies, he's some extraordinary personality - at least his most memorable movies for me. I will admit that I don't have his entire body of work on the top of my mind. Anyway, most of the time his extraordinary characters worked, (Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Jerry McGuire) but I don't think it will in this case.

This movie from what I gather is about regular men put in an extraordinary situation. I think it is critical that the audience can relate to the character, because it being a film about German history, there isn't much else for the audience to relate to. That really doesn't play well into what he has done IMO.

I maybe completely off base, I'm certainly not a movie guru, but based on his roles that come to the top of my mind, he doesn't seem to be a good fit.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
The last great character-gig in which he went outside of himself( though not to an amazing degree )was his role in 'Interview'. After that, it just became the 'Tom Cruise' show.

By the by, fuck Brad Pitt and his bitching about the character of 'Louis'. What, you didn't read the script there, fuck-tard? I know you sure as hell didn't read the book. Fascist.

What did Pitt have to say about his character? I don't remember...

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I read something that he's actually the most overpayed actor ever, since most of his movies don't make much compared to what they pay him or something like that.

That's complete and utter nonsense. His last movie made nearly $600 million worldwide and that's not including DVD sales.

Cruise's quote is somewhere around $20 million per film with a share of the back end (a few percentage points at most) which is far, far shy from $600 million!!!

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I maybe completely off base, I'm certainly not a movie guru, but based on his roles that come to the top of my mind, he doesn't seem to be a good fit.

We shall see.

He's 47 now and it's time for him to begin the next phase of his career. He's no longer the "pretty boy" that has all the teenage and 20 year old girl crowd. I have absolutely no idea whether or not he'll pull this off but I give him props for trying.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 11:36 AM
All that is true but it's still kind of dumb to play a nazi with an american accent.

Did you like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood?

Personally, I think it's stupid when actors use "accents" to portray people who speak a different language.

It's almost as dumb as Charlton Heston crash landing on a planet of English speaking apes.

Hello?

Baby Lee
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM

I don't hate him, but he's gone into a cringe inducing era.
Offscreen it's the antics, and berating others, and the condescenscion [that whole, when I pass an auto accident it's different for me, I HAVE to do something with all my knowledge and powers, thing]. And whenever it comes to addressing controversy in his life, it seems like his responses are a riff on Sarah Palin's 'in what sense Charlie' air of repressed panic and refusal to admit humanity.
Onscreen it's that he has trouble breaking out of 'hey that's Tom Cruise' mode. Will Smith struggles with it, but he's so cheery and tries to break out of it so earnestly that he's forgiven. His best job of recent was Magnolia.
The only role that really cheesed me off, as opposed to being mildly distracting, was Born on the Fourth of July, and even then I don't know if it was his performance or the way the role was written [or perhaps real life happened]. I could never get the love for that movie. He starts out a stalwart war supporter who rags on everyone who says a bad word about the military, then [aside from the injury] his total conversion goes totally unexplained, and from then on he's the same stalwart ragging a-hole, only for the exact opposite premises.

Reaper16
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Methinks you forgot Magnolia and Tropic Thunder.

Frazod
12-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't hate Cruise, but I think he's a giant douche. I have enjoyed many of his movies and think he is a very good actor. But I can't deal with the Scientology crap. He's either (a) a complete religious freak, or (b) knows that stuff is bullshit, but pimps it anyway for monetary gain, and neither option is very appealing.

Leonardo Dicaprio may be a bush-worshiping druid for all I know, but if he is, he keeps it to himself, and that's the way it should be.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't hate Cruise, but I think he's a giant douche. I have enjoyed many of his movies and think he is a very good actor. But I can't deal with the Scientology crap. He's either (a) a complete religious freak, or (b) knows that stuff is bullshit, but pimps it anyway for monetary gain, and neither option is very appealing.

Leonardo Dicaprio may be a bush-worshiping druid for all I know, but if he is, he keeps it to himself, and that's the way it should be.

I find it ironic that you pick Leonardo to compare him due to his environmental and social activism...same cake, different flavor.

Frazod
12-20-2008, 01:19 PM
I find it ironic that you pick Leonardo to compare him due to his environmental and social activism...same cake, different flavor.

No offense to Leonardo whatsoever; I just picked that celebrity name out of the air - I was just making the point that I have no idea what his religious leanings are, and that's the way it should be.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Who is in your avy fraz?

Frazod
12-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Who is in your avy fraz?

Kevin Kline, as Otto from A Fish Called Wanda.

It's sort of in honor of Shitsprayer. :D

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Methinks you forgot Magnolia and Tropic Thunder.

I forgot nothing, and I will be dead and damned before I pay money to watch Ben Stiller do anything.

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
That's complete and utter nonsense. His last movie made nearly $600 million worldwide and that's not including DVD sales.

Cruise's quote is somewhere around $20 million per film with a share of the back end (a few percentage points at most) which is far, far shy from $600 million!!!

maybe it is, but the article said that the films only grossed like $3 for every $1 he was paid, and I guess thats not good. I don't have the link though

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:27 PM
maybe it is, but the article said that the films only grossed like $3 for every $1 he was paid, and I guess thats not good. I don't have the link though

That "article" couldn't be more wrong.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I forgot nothing, and I will be dead and damned before I pay money to watch Ben Stiller do anything.

You don't like Stiller?

Wow, that's a first for me. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they dislike Ben Stiller.

unothadeal
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Personally, I think it's stupid when actors use "accents" to portray people who speak a different language.

It's almost as dumb as Charlton Heston crash landing on a planet of English speaking apes.

Hello?

You had me at "Hello"

mikeyis4dcats.
12-20-2008, 02:41 PM

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/03/celebrities-hollywood-movies-biz-cz_dp_0806starpayback.html

Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, and Will Smith all clock in at $12 gross income per dollar of salary.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
You don't like Stiller?

Wow, that's a first for me. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they dislike Ben Stiller.

He's total 'Strip Mall Comedy'. I can not name one thing he's ever done that made me genuinely laugh.

My kind of comedy is Undercover Brother, Hollywood Shuffle, Harold and Kumar, Carlin, Smith and Mewes etc.

I can't STAND Stiller's rated G bullshit.

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/03/celebrities-hollywood-movies-biz-cz_dp_0806starpayback.html

Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, and Will Smith all clock in at $12 gross income per dollar of salary.

right on, it was probably a BS article. It was one of those ones that pop up on yahoo's front page

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:47 PM

And that includes "back end" credit, not just upfront money.

Tom Hanks made more than $40 million from Forrest Gump by eschewing an upfront fee and taking a percentage of the back end.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 02:49 PM
He's total 'Strip Mall Comedy'. I can not name one thing he's ever done that made me genuinely laugh.

My kind of comedy is Undercover Brother, Hollywood Shuffle, Harold and Kumar, Carlin, Smith and Mewes etc.

That's cool.

It's just hard for me to believe that you couldn't enjoy "Dodgeball".

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 02:51 PM
That's cool.

It's just hard for me to believe that you couldn't enjoy "Dodgeball".

I love Dodgeball; there's enough talent in a large cast there to focus attention away from Stiller.

unothadeal
12-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Eddie Griffin is to comedy what Mariah Carey is to comedy.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
I love Dodgeball; there's enough talent in a large cast there to focus attention away from Stiller.

Ah, so you don't like it when he's the sole star, like "The Heartbreak Kid" or "Along Came Polly"?

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Eddie Griffin is to comedy what Mariah Carey is to comedy.

I never said his stand-up was great, but UCB IS.

I'm going to guess that you're a Ferrell/Sandler fan .

Those two are to comedy what muzak is to music.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Ah, so you don't like it when he's the sole star, like "The Heartbreak Kid" or "Along Came Polly"?

Bingo. The only thing I like about that guy is his fairly hot, quasi-Marsha Brady-looking wife.

unothadeal
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I never said his stand-up was great, but UCB IS.

I'm going to guess that you're a Ferrell/Sandler fan .

Those two are to comedy what muzak is to music.

That was a really bad guess. :p

Baby Lee
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Bingo. The only thing I like about that guy is his fairly hot, quasi-Marsha Brady-looking wife.

Who convinced NPH he preferred man ass.

Reaper16
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Dude, you should watch those movies. They are very good, and Cruise is awesome in them.

Adept Havelock
12-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm sure I will enjoy the end of this Tom Cruise character as much as I enjoyed his demise in TAPS. :)

I'm not convinced Cruise is a good choice to play Col. Stauffenberg, but I am looking forward to the film.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Who convinced NPH he preferred man ass.

Persuasive woman; good for her!

Now, if she can just convince her husband that he isn't funny, the circle will be complete.

KcMizzou
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Persuasive woman; good for her!

Now, if she can just convince her husband that he isn't funny, the circle will be complete.Ya know... At first I was a little sad when I found out NPH was gay. (I don't really wanna fret about what that may, or may not say about me.)

But damn... gay or not, that dude's entertaining. He's completely destroyed the "type casting" thing.

You see him now, in film or TV, you're not thinkin' "Doogie".... unless you haven't been payin' attention for about 20 years.

I'm a fan.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Ya know... At first I was a little sad when I found out NPH was gay. (I don't really wanna fret about what that may, or may not say about me.)

But damn... gay or not, that dude's entertaining. He's completely destroyed the "type casting" thing.

You see him now, in film or TV, you're not thinkin' "Doogie".... unless you haven't been payin' attention for about 20 years.

I'm a fan.

He's a new phenomenon again; he's NPH, and he's bad to the bone. He adds to everything he does, and he should seriously be hosting SNL if he hasn't already.
I might actually watch the show if he did.

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Ya know... At first I was a little sad when I found out NPH was gay. (I don't really wanna fret about what that may, or may not say about me.)

I'm a fan.

Who is NPH? I tried to figure it out from the Ben Stiller conversation. But I'm completely freaking lost.

Maybe I'm retarded.

Darth CarlSatan
12-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Who is NPH? I tried to figure it out from the Ben Stiller conversation. But I'm completely freaking lost.

Maybe I'm retarded.

Neil Patrick Harris.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Maybe I'm retarded.

Neil Patrick Harris.

And FWIW, Barney Stinson is LEGENDARY!

Buehler445
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Ahhh IC. Thanks guys.

KcMizzou
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Maybe I'm retarded.Neil Patrick Harris. Played Doogie Howser back in the day.

He's badass in the Harold and Kumar flicks... and the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother".

DeezNutz
12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Neil Patrick Harris. Played Doogie Howser back in the day.

He's badass in the Harold and Kumar flicks... and the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother".

The "I wish I could see you naked, I wish I could see you naked" seems pretty forced now.

Strange.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
The "I wish I could see you naked, I wish I could see you naked" seems pretty forced now.

Strange.

You didn't know?

DeezNutz
12-21-2008, 12:12 AM
You didn't know?

No, I knew (since this summer--I believe this is when he went public), and now some of his lines/scenes seem really awkward and forced. Not sure if I'm being more attentive to his mannerisms or if it's just me.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
No, I knew (since this summer--I believe this is when he went public), and now some of his lines/scenes seem really awkward and forced. Not sure if I'm being more attentive to his mannerisms or if it's just me.

With all due respect, I think it's just you, Bro (or is it Brah or Brough?).

He's Barney Stinson to a T and perfect in that role.

His personal life should have no bearing on his professional life and for tens of millions of Americans, it doesn't.

If you watched this show 20 years in the future with no knowledge of the actors (much like we watched the Brady Bunch, not knowing that Mike Brady was gay in real life), all we'd take notice of is the AWESOMENESS of Barney Stinson.

DeezNutz
12-21-2008, 12:34 AM
With all due respect, I think it's just you, Bro (or is it Brah or Brough?).

He's Barney Stinson to a T and perfect in that role.

His personal life should have no bearing on his professional life and for tens of millions of Americans, it doesn't.

If you watched this show 20 years in the future with no knowledge of the actors (much like we watched the Brady Bunch, not knowing that Mike Brady was gay in real life), all we'd take notice of is the AWESOMENESS of Barney Stinson.

It could be. You're probably right.

For the record, I could care less if he's gay or not. In truth, I was kind of comparing his acting to the two guys on Will and Grace.

You'd still say NPH does a better job? Comparitively speaking.

Reaper16
12-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog FTW

KcMizzou
12-21-2008, 12:39 AM
It could be. You're probably right.

For the record, I could care less if he's gay or not. In truth, I was kind of comparing his acting to the two guys on Will and Grace.

You'd still say NFH does a better job? Comparitively speaking.Nah, NFH sucks arse.

Fruit Ninja
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Barney Stinson is one of the best TV characters ever. Like they said above, Legendary.

Darth CarlSatan
12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Nah, NFH sucks arse.

Who the fuck is "NFH"?

KcMizzou
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Who the fuck is "NFH"?Exactly.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Who the fuck is "NFH"?

Neil Fucking Harris

Darth CarlSatan
12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Neil Fucking Harris

Is that supposed to be an ultra-lame, unimaginative rip on NPH being gay?

Because if so, it has succeeded in stellar proportions...

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Is that supposed to be an ultra-lame, unimaginative rip on NPH being gay?

Because if so, it has succeeded in stellar proportions...

It's a joke.

:shake:

Someone mis-typed NPH (Neil Patrick Harris) as NFH.

:spock:

Furthermore:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5314696&postcount=78

Darth CarlSatan
12-21-2008, 04:01 PM
It's a joke.

:shake:

Someone mis-typed NPH (Neil Patrick Harris) as NFH.

:spock:

Furthermore:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5314696&postcount=78

Got it. Thanks!

KcMizzou
12-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Damn, Darth.

Take the time to read a few posts before you assume. :D I'm a NPH fan... said so in this very thread.

Thanks for providing the explanation, Dane. :toast:

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Damn, Darth.

Take the time to read a few posts before you assume. :D I'm a NPH fan... said so in this very thread.

Cheers to you as well, my friend!

Darth CarlSatan
12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Damn, Darth.

Apologies.

KcMizzou
12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Apologies.Meh, no problem. :toast:

Darth CarlSatan
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Meh, no problem. :toast:

Back at ya'. :toast:

Buehler445
12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
There's almost 100 posts here, and really, very little discussion on Valkyrie.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-21-2008, 08:52 PM
There's almost 100 posts here, and really, very little discussion on Valkyrie.

it's not out yet, so very very few have seen it.

Buehler445
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
The intention was to see if people WANTED to see it.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
The intention was to see if people WANTED to see it.

I do. The wife and I will probably see Benjamin Button on Thursday, and hopefully Valkyrie on Friday.

Stryker
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_en_ot/film_review_valkyrie_1

Review: Cruise distractingly bad in `Valkyrie'
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire, Ap Movie Critic Mon Dec 22, 8:45 am ET AP In this image released by MGM, Tom Cruise portrays Claus von Stauffenberg in 'Valkyrie.' (AP Photo/MGM,
Play Video Video: Cruise confronts 'Valkyrie' controversy AP Play Video Movies Video: Celebs dish on holiday plans AP Play Video Movies Video: New in theaters this week KING5 Seattle Much ado has been made about "Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise as would-be Hitler assassin Col. Claus von Stauffenberg.

There is the release date, which has been moved around several times until finally being set for Christmas, the perfect time for a feel-good movie about killing Nazis. There's the marketing of the film: Is it a historical thriller featuring Cruise in an eye patch, or is it a straight-up action picture full of explosions? And then, of course, there is the Cruise factor itself the fact that his very presence adds a layer of tabloid-friendly fascination.

Turns out Cruise is both the central figure in "Valkyrie" and its weakest link. He's distractingly bad in this, the iconography of his celebrity so strongly overshadowing his performance. He's just too powerfully contemporary. With his hard, flat American accent, he stands out in every single scene. And he's not a good enough actor to immerse himself in this kind of period piece, or allow us to do the same. (Then again, if he had affected a German accent or a British one to blend in among his co-stars he would have invited derision for that, too. Maybe the guy just can't win.)

Darth CarlSatan
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Review: Cruise distractingly bad in `Valkyrie'
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire, Ap Movie Critic Mon Dec 22, 8:45 am ET AP In this image released by MGM, Tom Cruise portrays Claus von Stauffenberg in 'Valkyrie.' (AP Photo/MGM,
Play Video Video: Cruise confronts 'Valkyrie' controversy AP Play Video Movies Video: Celebs dish on holiday plans AP Play Video Movies Video: New in theaters this week KING5 Seattle Much ado has been made about "Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise as would-be Hitler assassin Col. Claus von Stauffenberg.

There is the release date, which has been moved around several times until finally being set for Christmas, the perfect time for a feel-good movie about killing Nazis. There's the marketing of the film: Is it a historical thriller featuring Cruise in an eye patch, or is it a straight-up action picture full of explosions? And then, of course, there is the Cruise factor itself the fact that his very presence adds a layer of tabloid-friendly fascination.

Turns out Cruise is both the central figure in "Valkyrie" and its weakest link. He's distractingly bad in this, the iconography of his celebrity so strongly overshadowing his performance. He's just too powerfully contemporary. With his hard, flat American accent, he stands out in every single scene. And he's not a good enough actor to immerse himself in this kind of period piece, or allow us to do the same. (Then again, if he had affected a German accent or a British one to blend in among his co-stars he would have invited derision for that, too. Maybe the guy just can't win.)

And there...it...was. It's just like I said; the guy has become a caricature of himself, and can not escape himself when it's time to roll film.

beach tribe
12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
If he's not playing a fat, foul-mouthed, dancing producer, I'm not interested.

Best role he ever played.

DJay23
12-22-2008, 06:42 PM

I didn't read through all of the posts so I don't know if this was said, but I don't like Tom Cruise for the same reason I don't like Keanu Reeves, for the same reason I don't like a lot of actors/actresses...Tom Cruise can only play one character: Tom Cruise. I've never seen him transform into a different person, he's always Tom Cruise, with the same speech patterns, same demeanor, same accent...same person.

DJay23
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Turns out Cruise is both the central figure in "Valkyrie" and its weakest link. He's distractingly bad in this, the iconography of his celebrity so strongly overshadowing his performance.

Turns out someone beat me to it.

Fruit Ninja
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Tom is a strange one no doubt, but i cant support anything that is Scientology. I have done quite a bit of research on it, and they are nothing but tax evading assholes that prey on the weak and take all their money.

People can say what they want about regular religions, it has its faults no doubt, but i can go up into any church right now and talk to someone for free and i dont have to empty out all my savings to be a part of them.

So no Tom for me.

Sure-Oz
12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
I think Cruise is pretty weird but ive liked alot of his movies, hell he was freakin hilarious in that recent comedy, im not going to spoil for those who havent seen it...

But this may be a good reason he was cast for this role, or atleast 1 besides being a solid actor....and yeah no accent or even trying is stupid, but ill wait till i see it.

Basically Cruise looks just like the real Claus von Stauffenberg.

http://valkyriemovie.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/valkyriecompare.jpg

mikeyis4dcats.
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Tom is a strange one no doubt, but i cant support anything that is Scientology. I have done quite a bit of research on it, and they are nothing but tax evading assholes that prey on the weak and take all their money.

People can say what they want about regular religions, it has its faults no doubt, but i can go up into any church right now and talk to someone for free and i dont have to empty out all my savings to be a part of them.

So no Tom for me.

actually there are quite a few churches that won't allow you to participate without tithing a good portion of your income to them. It shouldn't be that way, but there are some that do that very thing.

Sam Hall
12-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Top Gun is my all-time favorite movie.

Coach
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I do want to see this movie, despite the fact that it is Tom Fucking Cruise.

I think this movie would have stronger reviews if they went someone away from Cruise.

Fruit Ninja
12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
actually there are quite a few churches that won't allow you to participate without tithing a good portion of your income to them. It shouldn't be that way, but there are some that do that very thing.

ahh, maybe. I know i have been to catholic churches and christian churches and i have not experienced that. I just know i wouldnt be a part of anything like that.

Donger
12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I hate Tom Cruise for one reason, and one reason only: he runs in every movie he's ever made.

Deberg_1990
12-23-2008, 02:40 PM

G rated?? hahah

Obviously you havent seen Tropic Thunder.

Frazod
12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Ebert gave it a good review; said it was a decent thriller and that Cruise does a good job.

Of course, I've noticed that Ebert's mellowed a great deal since his cancer, and he's given good reviews to some movies that have IMO really sucked.