PDA

View Full Version : Football Tattletale Strategy: NFL would like you to stop being a douche at games

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Drunk and unruly fans are a huge problem in NFL stadiums. Between the drinking, the cursing, the fights, the cursing, the stumbling and the cursing, NFL games provide as much of a kid-friendly atmosphere as a night out with Plaxico Burress. But now, NFL teams think they have developed a technique to curb boorish, abusive behavior at games: tattling.

At 29 of the NFL's 32 stadiums, fans can now send a text message to report disorderly conduct of nearby fans. The texts are received by stadium security, who address the situation and determine if the offending fan should receive a warning or ejection.

It's an interesting idea, albeit one with a number of flaws and questionable ethical application. There's no doubt something needs to be done about drunken behavior at games, lest older fans (who tend to have the most disposable income and buy the best seats) decide that they'd rather not spend $10,000 a year on tickets just to end up listening to a hammered college student screaming expletive-laden compound adjectives at opposing players. But text-narcing isn't the answer to this problem.

Putting up a text-message number on the Jumbotron is an invitation for people to abuse the system with pranks, jokes and reports about patrons who are being only mildly annoying. Plus, stadium personnel can only be in so many places at once. By the time one situation has been resolved, there could likely be five more that have developed.

The text-narcing seems to be less about controlling fan behavior and more about mollifying fans who complain about fan behavior. Teams can point to the system and say "hey, we're trying!" instead of taking actual preventative steps like hiring more security (which would cost more money) or curbing alcohol sales (which would cut revenues at both the concession stand and through advertising dollars from beer companies).

Each team has a different hotline number, some with clever mnemonic devices like "ASSIST" (Ravens) or "INDY" (Colts). The best narc number, however, belongs to Cincinnati. To report unruly behavior, Bengals fans should text 513-381-JERK.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tattletales-NFL-teams-ask-for-text-messages-abo?urn=nfl,130422

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 04:47 PM
love the pic on the article

Baconeater
12-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I think this was already posted here...like a year ago.

Der Flöprer
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Chiefs fans text your complaints to HERM

KCChiefsMan
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I think this was already posted here...like a year ago.

that was the Chiefs new policy for texting about standing

Baconeater
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
that was the Chiefs new policy for texting about standing

Ah, that's right, I remembered hearing something similar to this.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I bet they only come out if they get several people texting in one area.

Stupid Bronco fan.

JuicesFlowing
12-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Is he wearing pajamas? Silly Donkey!

JuicesFlowing
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I've been to about 10 Chiefs games, and the most unruly, disruptive fans have been the opposing team's fans 90% of the time. Chiefs fans are usually pretty good in my experiences.

BWillie
12-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Gay. That is the whole point. I thought this was america, where you have the legal right to be a douchebag? F*ck you Roger. Damn you roger, Damn it

kstater
12-20-2008, 05:19 PM
What's douchey about cussing out the opponents?

eazyb81
12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I've been to about 10 Chiefs games, and the most unruly, disruptive fans have been the opposing team's fans 90% of the time. Chiefs fans are usually pretty good in my experiences.

It might seem that way because your a Chiefs fan. I've seen a few instances of our fans acting pretty rude to opposing fans. One game in particular was the season opener against the Jets a few years ago. We were crushing them and these drunk people kept messing with these Jets fans in front of them until the Jets fans finally said F it and left at halftime.

kswheels
12-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Gay. That is the whole point. I thought this was america, where you have the legal right to be a douchebag? F*ck you Roger. Damn you roger, Damn it

Not on someone else's property you don't. Stay home and watch on TV and douche away all you want.

JuicesFlowing
12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
It might seem that way because your a Chiefs fan. I've seen a few instances of our fans acting pretty rude to opposing fans. One game in particular was the season opener against the Jets a few years ago. We were crushing them and these drunk people kept messing with these Jets fans in front of them until the Jets fans finally said F it and left at halftime.

I believe you. I know there are a few Chiefs fans that are a**holes, I just haven't been around any.

Sully
12-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Last season, playing the Packers, we were sitting next to a Packers fan. He was a nice guy, and only stood and cheered when his team did something good...and not even in a taunting way, just a hands in the air, "whoo hoo" type of manner.
This drunk-ass gangsta wannabe Chiefs fan sitting right in front of us was mouthing off at him all day, and when Favre hit that long pass later in the game, turned around and started cussing him that he was being a dick for cheering, and he was going to kick his ass...and had 79,000 fans that would back him up.
I stood up and looked at the guy, told him to STFD and STFU, and that he was making Chiefs fans look bad, and if anything were to happen, he'd have one less guy backing him up than he thought. I outweigh the guy by at least 90 lbs...and after trying to argue his case for a minute or so, and me telling him to STFU, he finally turned around and sat down...not another peep for the rest of the game.

Chiefs fans can act like douches as well as opposing fans. I'd prefer we self-police ourselves. Let the Raiders fans have the rep as being complete douchebags.

Skip Towne
12-20-2008, 05:32 PM
love the pic on the article

This guy looks like the "King of Queens" guy.

JuicesFlowing
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=72E1BCG525o

triple
12-20-2008, 05:47 PM
there is a difference between being obscenely drunk, and being drunk and obscene.

there are some people who are well balanced and can get so drunk they can't even stand still but are still not going to bother anyone. others have the a**hole gene and only require a moderate amount of sauce to become saucy.

get as drunk as you want but don't get out of control. don't get out of control sober either.

in my opinion this isn't about alcohol, it's about a**holes. being drunk is no excuse for being an a**hole

JuicesFlowing
12-20-2008, 05:53 PM
there is a difference between being obscenely drunk, and being drunk and obscene.

there are some people who are well balanced and can get so drunk they can't even stand still but are still not going to bother anyone. others have the a**hole gene and only require a moderate amount of sauce to become saucy.

get as drunk as you want but don't get out of control. don't get out of control sober either.

in my opinion this isn't about alcohol, it's about a**holes. being drunk is no excuse for being an a**hole

Well said.

Ari Chi3fs
12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
NFL - Wine and Cheese, Please and Thank you, League.

Sure-Oz
12-20-2008, 06:22 PM
NFL can stop being a douch and let cable companies have NFL network...

im so poed i wont be able to watch tonights game

boogblaster
12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Don't douche at games ... just before and after sex ....

Bowser
12-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Please sit quietly in your seats and talk at low volumes while these oversized men try to dismember one another. Thank you for your cooperation.

bowener
12-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Can a fan text in to the security something similar to the following:

'Plz send help 2 stop complete ass-raping on field lvl... & more beer 2.'

Or does the result in a false report filed or something?

dirk digler
12-20-2008, 09:42 PM
NFL can stop being a douch and let cable companies have NFL network...

im so poed i wont be able to watch tonights game

I hear ya. I was excited to watch NFL football tonight only come to find out it was on the fuggin stupid NFL network.

The NFL should implement a Pay-Per- View service if they are going to keep games on NFL Network and the cable companies refuse to get the channel. Charge like $5 a game so people on cable can watch them.

Skip Towne
12-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I hear ya. I was excited to watch NFL football tonight only come to find out it was on the fuggin stupid NFL network.

The NFL should implement a Pay-Per- View service if they are going to keep games on NFL Network and the cable companies refuse to get the channel. Charge like $5 a game so people on cable can watch them.

They will just tell you to get a satellite dish. They don't have to cater to the cable fucks.

bowener
12-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Please sit quietly in your seats and talk at low volumes while these oversized men try to dismember one another. Thank you for your cooperation.

Makes me chuckle. Something else that always makes me laugh is when parents try to make the argument that we live in the most violent times, and video games are the cause. I like to think of the good ole' days when mass hangings took place in the city squares of London where it was common practice to take the whole family to spit and hurl rocks at the accused and soon-to-be deceased.

bowener
12-20-2008, 09:56 PM

They should just offer the whole damn broadcast on NFL.com. They already show parts of the game between terrible commentary in the studio.

Baconeater
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
They will just tell you to get a satellite dish. They don't have to cater to the cable ****s.

The NFL and the satellite companies can suck my cable, I watch it on the internet for free.

MikeMaslowski
12-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Last season, playing the Packers, we were sitting next to a Packers fan. He was a nice guy, and only stood and cheered when his team did something good...and not even in a taunting way, just a hands in the air, "whoo hoo" type of manner.
This drunk-ass gangsta wannabe Chiefs fan sitting right in front of us was mouthing off at him all day, and when Favre hit that long pass later in the game, turned around and started cussing him that he was being a dick for cheering, and he was going to kick his ass...and had 79,000 fans that would back him up.
I stood up and looked at the guy, told him to STFD and STFU, and that he was making Chiefs fans look bad, and if anything were to happen, he'd have one less guy backing him up than he thought. I outweigh the guy by at least 90 lbs...and after trying to argue his case for a minute or so, and me telling him to STFU, he finally turned around and sat down...not another peep for the rest of the game.

Chiefs fans can act like douches as well as opposing fans. I'd prefer we self-police ourselves. Let the Raiders fans have the rep as being complete douchebags.

I hope you told him to pull his effing pants up too......

bango
12-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I hope you told him to pull his effing pants up too......

I hope that he did not tell him to pull his pants down.