PDA

View Full Version : Life Question for the Springfieldanians.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Anyone know a good restaurant where a fella could get a gift certificate for his parents for Christmas?

My folks have very classic American tastes. If you can identify a foreign country where the food originated, they don't want it. It must be a restaurant that serves foods cleaved from animals that one would normally find in a 1950s American barnyard - cows, pigs, or chickens, for example. Maybe fish, but that's dicey.

Also, my parents don't like fancy things like wine lists and pepper grinders and arugula, so I'm looking for something that is not fast food, but not overly fancy. Maybe two-thirds of the way in between. I gave them an Outback Steakhouse certificate one year and they liked that, so something at that level or preferably the next level higher would be preferred.

Any ideas?

LiL stumppy
12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
If they like Pizza, Garbo's is a good little place. Fudruckers has some of the best burgers around.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Pizza is identifiable as coming from Italy, so they won't do that. Fuddrucker's is a good idea, though. A very good idea.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
They do have some pretty damn good burgers.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
It just may be Fuddruckers. Lil Stumppy saved Christmas! (If that was the title of a Christmas cartoon, I'd watch it.)

Anyone else, before I make the call? Any other suggestion?

What does a Fuddrucker's outing cost? I've been there before, but it's been ages.

philfree
12-20-2008, 04:11 PM
You know it seems like all the basic steak houes don't exit anymore. No Steak & Ale and the Shady Inn has been closed for a while now. There's things like Cheddars and Fridays and Applebees. There's a Steak house called Doe's that has huge steaks and of all things tamales. The Outback is still here of course. It's tough because if they don't like fancy......There's lot's of good places to eat in Springfield. hmmmm...Argentine Steak house...how bout The Road House....Macaroni Grill........Uhhh.......mmmm...I know there's alot more. The Metropolitan Grill is a really good place.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
What kind of food does the Metropolitan Grill serve?

Iowanian
12-20-2008, 04:16 PM
A little south of Springfield...Home of the Throw'd Roll.

Thats American Dining.

LiL stumppy
12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually, Lonestar would be a good choice. Nice place to eat with burgers and steaks and it's all pretty good.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Hmm. The Metropolitan is fancier than they would like. What's the pricing for Doe's and the Argentine? I can't find their menus online.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
A little south of Springfield...Home of the Throw'd Roll.

Thats American Dining.

I've seen the billboards for that place. Don't know where it's at, though.

philfree
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
What kind of food does the Metropolitan Grill serve?

Steaks and some Sea Food. It's a little fancy but not too. They have a selection of steaks they prepare in a variety of ways. I preferv what they call The John. It's a steak with a kind of caramized onion sauce on it. Not so much sauce either. It's nice but they could get some good basic food there. It has a nice location on E Battlefield.

Skip Towne
12-20-2008, 04:22 PM
That throw'd roll place sounds like a winner.

LiL stumppy
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM

South of Springfield, right by Ozark.

philfree
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
http://metropolitan-grill.com/

philfree
12-20-2008, 04:24 PM
That throw'd roll place sounds like a winner.

They'll be a long line to get in that place.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Actually, Lonestar would be a good choice. Nice place to eat with burgers and steaks and it's all pretty good.

Oh. Bingo. They've got those here, and that's the heart of my parents' market. I'd generally prefer an independent to a chain, but this is good.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I think Lone Star it shall be. I actually think the Argentina and Doe's look really good, but my folks would like the Lone Star better. Thanks, all.

Count Zarth
12-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Lambert's. Home of the Throwed Rolls. Most popular restaurant in Springfield.

Lone Star is a joke.

LiL stumppy
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM

Lone Star is a joke.

Kind of like your writing

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Lone Star is a joke.

I can't remember if Lambert's is a place they like or not. I think they've commented on the lines.

Lone Star may be a joke, but it's a tasty joke and they just got a gift certificate from there. It's a Lone Star Christmas in East Springfield.

Count Zarth
12-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I can't remember if Lambert's is a place they like or not. I think they've commented on the lines.

Lone Star may be a joke, but it's a tasty joke and they just got a gift certificate from there. It's a Lone Star Christmas in East Springfield.

BOOOOO!

There are only lines at Lambert's on the weekend.

Rain Man
12-20-2008, 04:47 PM
BOOOOO!

There are only lines at Lambert's on the weekend.

I'm sorry. I didn't know.

Count Zarth
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Lone Star is OK...you get to throw peanut shells on the ground. At least you used to.

As steakhouses go it's pretty mediocre.

Ebolapox
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM

ozark, about 20 min. south of springtown south on 65.

Ebolapox
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
They'll be a long line to get in that place.

depending on when they go, really. when I take the folks there (oh, MAYBE once a year of so), it's best to go early bird or right before they close. it's easy to avoid the lines if you know what you're doing.

Ebolapox
12-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Lone Star is a joke.

'cept it's not in springfield, genious

luv
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
There's an Old Chicago that's new to town. I like it. Also, if you're thinking steak, Colton's is good. Italian, I would suggest Zio's. Mexican, Carlos O'Kelly's.

Count Zarth
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
'cept it's not in springfield, genious

Close enough. I go every time I visit. Mmmmmm fried okra! Fixins'!

DaFace
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
There's an Old Chicago that's new to town. I like it. Also, if you're thinking steak, Colton's is good. Italian, I would suggest Zio's. Mexican, Carlos O'Kelly's.

I miss Carlos O'Kelly's. They need to expand to Denver.

Mr. Flopnuts

Sounds like Carlos' daddy was kissin the blarney stone.

Ebolapox

JESUS, did you even READ the opening post?!? no foreigner shizit!

luv
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
JESUS, did you even READ the opening post?!? no foreigner shizit!

Oops. Old Chicago, Colton's, Logan's Roadhouse, Texas Roadhouse....

Sports bars (and grill)....Indigo Joe's, Rivals....

Count Zarth
12-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Carlos O'Kelly's is fucking terrible.

Cielito Lindo's FTW

luv
12-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Carlos O'Kelly's is fucking terrible.

Cielito Lindo's FTW

Completely agree that Cielito Lindo's is more authentic. Carlos O'Kelly's is a "nicer" atmosphere.

DMAC
12-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Lone Star really sucks. It used to be good 10 years ago, then someone slipped on a peanut shell, sued, and the food has sucked ever since.

Try These:
Logans
Mexican Villa
Doe's
Flame
Nakatos

thurman merman
12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
TEXAS ROADHOUSE

MVChiefFan
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Lone Star really sucks. It used to be good 10 years ago, then someone slipped on a peanut shell, sued, and the food has sucked ever since.

Try These:
Logans
Mexican Villa
Doe's
Flame
Nakatos

I vote Doe's rainman...steaks are HUGE and pretty darn good. They also have really good tamales that make good appetizers and I really don't even like tamales.

DaFace
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Completely agree that Cielito Lindo's is more authentic. Carlos O'Kelly's is a "nicer" atmosphere.

There are hundreds of "authentic" places out here. Give me the Americanized crap, thanks.

Iowanian
12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Hands down, for food and experience, if they have never been.......Lambert's is your choice.

its a winner.

Ozark is close, just south of town.

jjchieffan
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Anyone have any comments on Trolleys or J Bucks? Restaurants.com has $25 gift certificates for them for $10.

Stinger
12-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Cheddar's in Springfield. Great food at a decent price, good atmosphere. Also a lot of good restaurant downtown, but not there enough to say where to go.

Carlos O'Kelly's is ****ing terrible.

Cielito Lindo's FTW

Carlos O'kelly's is more Tex-Mex --- Cielito's more authentic Mexican.

SPchief
12-20-2008, 10:13 PM
:Lin:Mexican Villa

Kraus
12-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Cheddar's in Springfield. Great food at a decent price, good atmosphere. Also a lot of good restaurant downtown, but not there enough to say where to go.

Cheddar's rocks. Great prices, great food.

Cielito Lindo's FTW

I agree, I ate there tonight during my break from the TV station.

Captain Obvious
12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
TEXAS ROADHOUSE

Amen to that.

Groves
12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Cheddar's in Springfield. Great food at a decent price, good atmosphere.

This.

philfree
12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Amen to that.

Never been there. It looks like just another chain to me though. I guess maybe I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Groves
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
For Lamberts, it's already been said, but if you just show up at 4pm, you'll not have much of a wait. It stays pretty busy til after Christmas, then it's a ghost town.

If you want a high end place with outstanding food, have them go to Touch. They've got a 3 course meal plus wine and dessert for $16 before 5:30pm or something like that. I haven't had that special, but their regular meal was really good. It's high end.

patteeu
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM

Post 6:

You know it seems like all the basic steak houes don't exit anymore. No Steak & Ale and the Shady Inn has been closed for a while now. There's things like Cheddars and Fridays and Applebees. There's a Steak house called Doe's that has huge steaks and of all things tamales. The Outback is still here of course. It's tough because if they don't like fancy......There's lot's of good places to eat in Springfield. hmmmm...Argentine Steak house...how bout The Road House....Macaroni Grill........Uhhh.......mmmm...I know there's alot more. The Metropolitan Grill is a really good place.

patteeu
12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
I realize that Lone Star got the nod for Christmas 2008, but assuming your parents don't become foreign food aficionados sometime next year or go on some kind of anti-American low-fat, no-fried-foods diet, I endorse the Lambert's idea for Christmas 2009. I've only eaten at the one in Sikeston (south of St. Louis), but their food is excellent and I assume it's the same at the Springfield location. The lines can be bad, but that's because the food is so good.

BigRedChief
12-21-2008, 07:53 AM
:shake: It's so sad that most people are mentioning chains.

I also endorse the Lamberts idea. But besides the regular long waits there is also the drive to consider.

I'd also recommend Ebbets Field as a backup plan. It's not an all college crowd if you go at 5:00 or 6:00. Best burgers in town.

But if you go to Springfield and eat out as a visitor you must have the cashew chicken. But since they are local I'm sure they would'nt want that,

Skip Towne
12-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Decisions, decisions. Just get them one of each.