PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Another 'Pioli to Chiefs' rumor

bowener
12-21-2008, 02:53 AM
LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8972332/Countdown:-Previewing-Sunday%27s-Week-16-games?MSNHPHMA)

CZAR'S SCOOP: Owner William Clay Ford is going to have to make a decision pretty soon on whether he is going to pursue New England's Scott Pioli or potentially lose him to the Kansas City Chiefs. Pioli will be in play this offseason for the first time but he needs total control in order to pry him loose from New England owner Bob Kraft. Brees needs 752 passing yards in the next two games to match Dan Marino's 5,084 yards, the record he set in 1984. Saints owner Tom Benson, 81, had cancer surgery last week to remove a three-centimeter malignant mass from his left kidney. He's expected to make a full recovery and has already been released from the hospital. This marks the fifth blacked-out game of the season for the Lions, who are struggling in one of America's most depressed economic markets. The Lions have had only one Pro Bowl player in Rod Marinelli's three season WR Roy Williams, who is now a Cowboy.

Is there something to this rumor? I really wouldn't mind to get a guy with his winning pedigree coming from New England. Would this mean we would get their OC as head coach and Matt Cassell as a QB candidate as well?

This is further on down the article:

Miami at Kansas City: The weather is going to be freezing and the Dolphins, who need a win, haven't played in such bad weather this season. Remember, they played Buffalo in a Toronto dome. But the story in Kansas City is that coach Herm Edwards wasn't told by owner Clark Hunt that he was dismissing GM Carl Peterson and that the new GM will decide the fate of the head coach. That makes sense to everyone but Edwards, who has one year left on his contract. You have to figure that the Dolphins will come out running in the 20-degree weather, knowing how poor K.C. is defending the run.

I hadn't realized that. I thought that Clark had informed everyone... If that is the case I think it is safe to say that Clark is only being polite by saying that Herm's fate is all but decided.

ChiefJustice
12-21-2008, 03:02 AM
It's all speculation.

Until a contract is signed...I don't give a rat's ass about what might be in the works.

OnTheWarpath58
12-21-2008, 03:04 AM
The first part is complete speculation.

The second part, according to Clark Hunt, is an outright lie. According to Clark, after speaking with Carl, his next stop was Herm's office, and they spoke.

bowener
12-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Well this article is a pile of shit then.

Extra Point
12-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Remember, it's not official unless Jack Harry announces it.

wazu
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM

But thanks for posting it anyway!

tmax63
12-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Kinda like others, throw enough poop against the wall or be vague enough and something will eventually stick.

JuicesFlowing
12-21-2008, 06:56 AM
My suspicion is that if it sounds too good to be true with the Chiefs, it is.

Jerm
12-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Concerning Pioli, would he really choose the Lions' job over Kansas City if money, control, etc. is equal??? Come on now.

Our G.M. job is very appealing and I think if the money is right, he'd jump all over it.

Who the hell would want to go to Detroit right now?

Mojo Jojo
12-21-2008, 08:39 AM
The one thing that rings true is that Pioli will want total control, and who will or won't give it to him. If you look around the NFL when the titles GM and President are two separate positions the GM reports to the President who then reports to the Chairman of the Board/Owner. That is the current situation in New England.

If you remember when Carl arrived his original title was GM/COO. Jack Stedman still held the title of President as was a part of all Carl/Lamar meetings. When Carl added the titles President and CEO Jack was kicked to Chairman of the Board. Clark didn't become Chairman of the Board until 4 years ago when Jack officially retired. Clark's first job as Chairman of the Board was give Carl a five year extension.

Clark has yet to publicly outline the new organizational flow chart and that will go along way to determining who would be willing to come to KC. In Detroit Matt M. reported to the team President who also happened to be a Ford, so he was always talking to the ownership group.

Big Chief Homer
12-21-2008, 08:56 AM

I think what they are saying is Herm was informed but it didnt go down the way he says.

He keeps telling everyone who will listen that hes known all season Carl would not be back. Someone finally called BullS*** and found out Herm was just as surprised as Carl was.

FringeNC
12-21-2008, 09:06 AM
According to Clark, after speaking with Carl, his next stop was Herm's office, and they spoke.

That is not inconsistent with the claims of the article. Herm was told AFTER, not BEFORE the shitcanning of Carl.

eazyb81
12-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Mort just reported on Countdown that there's talk Pioli is eyeing a GM job, and he mentioned the Chiefs and Lions as possible suitors.

FringeNC
12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Mort just reported on Countdown that there's talk Pioli is eyeing a GM job, and he mentioned the Chiefs and Lions as possible suitors.

Mort's really going out on a limb there.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2008, 09:50 AM
On the Chiefs insider the espn.com guy they had on there said that if they want Pioli, Herm is gone, and that their list of GMs got longer because Clark has realized that most GMs will want their own guy.

eazyb81
12-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Mort's really going out on a limb there.

LMAO

Yeah, he usually does.

FringeNC
12-21-2008, 09:58 AM
How much money will it take to get Pioli? $6 million per year? 10 mill? Any guesses?

Mr. Laz
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
meh .... all just guessing

Pioli SHOULD be considered and pursued by KC

we often don't do what we SHOULD

bowener
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
But thanks for posting it anyway!

Hey, I figure it doesn't cost us $99 for this premium 'info' we can read about next week in WPI....

bowener
12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Concerning Pioli, would he really choose the Lions' job over Kansas City if money, control, etc. is equal??? Come on now.

Our G.M. job is very appealing and I think if the money is right, he'd jump all over it.

Who the hell would want to go to Detroit right now?

In all honesty, after reading about the financial outlook in Detriot, automaker's aside, the local economy is falling apart up there. That does not bode well for ticket sales or merchandise. The economy is supposed to continue nationally to decline for at least another year, but realistically wont start to look better till into the 2010 year. So, looking at it from that perspective, Detriot doesn't look to appetizing, plus, hey, it's ****ing Detriot!!
KC probably isn't one of the wealthier NFL cities, but KC is pumping money into its local shops and districts and trying to improve itself, making it at least that much more appealing.

I think what they are saying is Herm was informed but it didnt go down the way he says.

He keeps telling everyone who will listen that hes known all season Carl would not be back. Someone finally called BullS*** and found out Herm was just as surprised as Carl was.

That is kind of what I got from everything to date, if all things are considered. I think it probably has come up in discussions, but I am not sure that Clark made an outright attempt to reach Herm personally. Probably more like an office wide memo that went out 5 minutes after the meeting between Clark and Carl, or the shrill rantings from Carl could be heard through the door and down the halls,

"You can't fire ME! I am King ****ing Carl! King Kong ain't got shit on me! I am the Kansas City Chiefs, I made them! I have been here sine you have been shitting in your $400 drawers that your daddy tied on you, you little ****ing punk! I remember when you would call your Daddy bawling from Cabo after blowing all your cash on cheap women and mounds of blow. I am the king, and it is good to be the King!!!"

On the Chiefs insider the espn.com guy they had on there said that if they want Pioli, Herm is gone, and that their list of GMs got longer because Clark has realized that most GMs will want their own guy.

Yeah, I think Clark was just paying public lip service to Herm all along. I cant imagine that Clark believed that most GM's would allow him to keep Herm around, unless that was one last pearl of wisdom that Carl gave before stepping out the door.