PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why did Clark have to fire Carl

Mr. Laz
12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
before he could start developing a list for his potential replacements.

i mean shouldn't he of started looking months ago?

i'm not saying he should pull a "King Carl" and actually bring in a replacement BEFORE firing him .... or fire him via the internet. I'm just saying you can start doing your due diligence anytime you want.

:shrug:

unothadeal
12-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I thought that's what he did.

L.A. Chieffan
12-21-2008, 11:01 AM
It's not like the list is that big.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Why would you think Clark hasn't had a list in mind for a long time? He said he's been talking to Carl about this much of the season. I wager Clark has been ready for this move for a good while. It's not like he's going to tell us all that.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I thought that's what he did.

according to Clark is starting NOW

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Like Clark is going to say he's been looking... when he technically can't interview any candidates from playoff teams until they're done anyway. Chill Laz.

Buehler445
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM

According to Clark, the team was doing a nice job.

Delano
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Clark had a big list of potential candidates and he didn't think he could filter it without proper contacts and interviews.

gblowfish
12-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I think BO should make King Carl our ambassador to Iran.
Carl is a tough negotiator.

bowener
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
From several articles it sounds like Clark let everybody that has an office know that Carl was on the way out long ago. Hell, CP might even be helping him to replace himself. The long and short of it is that it had to be done in order to have a shot at filling the vacancy with somebody you want before they escape to Detroit, or somewhere else that will inevitably have an opening. We also can't replace CP while the season is still ongoing if Clark's candidate is working for a playoff team (Clark said that is where he is looking), and CP isn't officially relieved of duties until the end of the season.

Also, Charles just had a sweet screen, but if he is so fast, how they hell did Bell catch up to him so easily? Fuck, Bell is fast!

PastorMikH
12-21-2008, 12:58 PM
First off, we don't know what went on behind the scenes. We don't know how Carl acted towards Clark in private.

Secondly, Clark made it clear at the end of last season what his expectations were for this season. Carl should have been well aware that it was EXPECTED for the Chiefs to be better than last year - and we aren't. Ultimately, Carl is the GM, Clark pays him A LOT of $$$ to make sure his wishes are carried out. They weren't.

Add in the number of empty seats at Arrowhead and decreasing sales from Chiefs licensed products that come from losing all the time, changes have to be made. If Clark waited for another year, and sales kept dropping off like they did this season, how much $ might have to come out of his pocket to finance expenses next season? Yeah, it's a sports team, but its also a business.

Clark did what he felt he had to do - many fans think it was about 10 years too late.

bowener
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I also feel that he has plenty of time before a choice needs to be made. If we get another coach, he is most likely on another team. The team he is on is most likely going to be in the playoffs (hopefully). That gives us almost another month at least. The same can be said for the GM. So I think Clark just wanted to make it clear that Carl was going to be gone from ALL of his positions. That makes a huge difference. Nobody wants to work under a dick like that, well except for his 2 nuts, Herm and Gunther. Hopefully this dethroning comes with a free castration too.

whoman69
12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
First off, we don't know what went on behind the scenes. We don't know how Carl acted towards Clark in private.

Secondly, Clark made it clear at the end of last season what his expectations were for this season. Carl should have been well aware that it was EXPECTED for the Chiefs to be better than last year - and we aren't. Ultimately, Carl is the GM, Clark pays him A LOT of $$$ to make sure his wishes are carried out. They weren't.

Add in the number of empty seats at Arrowhead and decreasing sales from Chiefs licensed products that come from losing all the time, changes have to be made. If Clark waited for another year, and sales kept dropping off like they did this season, how much $ might have to come out of his pocket to finance expenses next season? Yeah, it's a sports team, but its also a business.

Clark did what he felt he had to do - many fans think it was about 10 years too late.

We also don't know whose idea it was to bring in the fill-in, bargain basement castoffs from other horrible teams. There wasn't any rebuilding done this year, just young players brought in. There are three possibilities, perhaps a bit of crossover from all, and maybe truth in all three scenarios:
1. Clark went on the cheap.
2. CP brought in cheap players for his bottom line because he thought it would impress his boss.
3. Herm only wanted young players and thought he could win with this cast.

beach tribe
12-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I think his endorsements of Herm are just from a PR standpoint too. You're not gonna come out and say that your not behind your coach during the season.

KCUnited
12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
I can't believe we didn't win this one for Carl, last home game and all.

banyon
12-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't think Carl should have anything to do with picking his successor.

I sure as f*ck hope he doesn't get to draw up the list.

Over-Head
12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Do any of you honestly think Carl was surprised?:spock:

blueballs
12-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I think BO should make King Carl our ambassador to Iran.
Carl is a tough negotiator.

no excuse for not doing a ten things thread

jlscorpio
12-21-2008, 03:37 PM
We lost this one for Carl

Mr. Laz
12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Like Clark is going to say he's been looking... when he technically can't interview any candidates from playoff teams until they're done anyway. Chill Laz.
i'm plenty chilled ... just wondering

Carl is gone, i'm happily chilled :D

But ...

if he already had a list then why fire Carl right now

if he didn't have a list then why did he need to fire Carl to start one

doesn't matter i suppose ... but there isn't any real reason to fire Carl in the middle of the season other than just a PR move or because Carl and him got into a fight or something.

timing was weird is all :shrug:

beavis
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I think Clark already has a good idea of who he wants.

PastorMikH
12-21-2008, 08:18 PM
We also don't know whose idea it was to bring in the fill-in, bargain basement castoffs from other horrible teams. There wasn't any rebuilding done this year, just young players brought in. There are three possibilities, perhaps a bit of crossover from all, and maybe truth in all three scenarios:
2. CP brought in cheap players for his bottom line because he thought it would impress his boss.

The plan as vocalized by the HC and others in interviews over the last couple of years was to build with young players so I'd guess #3 is the biggest possibility.

greg63
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Someone brought a sign that read: "Thanks for ten good years"

crossbow
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
If you look at it from Lamar Hunt's perspecive, Carl did a masterful job. He put the fannies in the seats and made the Hunt family lots of money. Thats realy all Lamar caired about. Carl could have been a great GM if he hadn't played mind games with the players and local media. I guess Carl figured Lamar had his back so he was untouchable. Clark wants a solid organization without all the drama so Carl is gone.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2008, 01:13 AM

The decision to build from scratch and blow up the team was the right one. And there's definitely a good foundation for the next GM and probably new head coach to work with.

We entered the season with about 18 needs (QB, LT, 3 CBs, FB, 2 LBs, 1 DE, 2 DTs, C, RG, RT, K, KR/PR, 2 WR). This season, we'll probably only need 7 as top priority needs (QB, MLB, DE, C, RG, RT, 1 WR). The rebuild wasn't going to happen overnight. The Chiefs are definitely moving in the wrong direction.

It's a homeristic thing to say, but I'd much rather be in the Chiefs' situation than the Jets'. The Jets spent a ton of money to quickly revamp the roster and they left the window open for about 2-3 years to win a Super Bowl. They've already wasted one. Now the urgency for them to win in the next 1-2 years is high.

Fruit Ninja
12-22-2008, 01:42 AM
I am sure he's had some idea now who he really wants, but who he wants doesnt mean he can get. So they just say they are searching now.