PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Carl's Death Throes

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2008, 01:04 AM
I want to puke.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/947620.html

Carl Peterson read a statistics sheet and chuckled to himself. He was sitting on a table after the Chiefs’ loss Sunday, their 38-31 home finale played in a cruel chill.

Peterson sat alone, the same way he does after most home games, and whispered to himself. He raised his eyebrows and nodded when Chiefs coach Herm Edwards discussed the precision of Miami quarterback Chad Pennington. Peterson mouthed, “Wow,” at a particular number on that sheet. Then he raised his eyes and looked toward Edwards to follow the coach’s summation of Peterson’s final home game as Chiefs president, general manager and chief executive.

There have been 20 years of games, some better and more satisfying than the one Peterson watched from his executive box Sunday. He was surrounded by trusted coworkers and family, a handful of confidantes at the center of a stadium looking toward life after Peterson.

“It’s bittersweet,” longtime public-relations man Bob Moore said. “He created so much of this thing in the last 20 years. That’s why it’s such a big deal.” :Lin:

Peterson would not answer questions for this story, but friends and coworkers say he did his best this week to keep things the way they always had been. He stuck to a routine that carried him through two decades. One friend said Sunday that Peterson left his condo on the Country Club Plaza around 8 a.m. and arrived at Arrowhead a half-hour later. His daughter and her family were in town from their home in Scotland, but other than that, Peterson tried to keep things as normal as possible — six days after team chairman Clark Hunt announced Peterson would resign after the Chiefs’ final game.

He didn’t divert from a regularly scheduled stroll through the Arrowhead parking lot. Later, he kept calling Moore in the Chiefs’ press box to check ball spots and confirm statistics. He maintained the same emotion that makes watching a Chiefs game near Peterson an experience filled with passion and perfectionism.

Peterson tried to keep this season normal, even when it was anything but. A few weeks ago, he called his old friend Floyd Reese, the former general manager at Tennessee. Reese said they talked about Tyler Thigpen and what waits in the Chiefs’ future; it was the same kind of conversation Reese could have recalled from a dozen other times. They talked football and not Peterson’s future, something Reese says now that he could have guessed was weighing on Peterson’s mind.

“You don’t go through tough seasons with it not taking a toll,” Reese said. “His entire adult life has been football.”

Sources said Sunday that Peterson’s departure didn’t come as a surprise to a man who’s run the gamut in Kansas City as hero and villain. He’s known for months that this would be his final season, and a friend said Sunday that Peterson walked the halls this season joking to some that he would soon be riding off into the sunset.

But as the season progressed, Peterson found himself more and more alone. His popularity hit an all-time low, sure, but employees at Arrowhead were moving into the team’s new practice facility. The marketing and ticket offices were among the last to be emptied two weeks ago, and the halls remained silent as the Chiefs moved into a new building a few blocks to the stadium’s west.

Peterson’s office at Arrowhead was one of two that remained occupied Sunday. Denny Thum is the longtime employee who was appointed interim president this week, and his and Peterson’s offices have yet to be deserted. Peterson, though, hadn’t even begun packing his things. He decorated his office with trinkets and mementos, trophies and photographs with U.S. presidents that Peterson was not ready to put away.

“That’s probably what he was considering all along; he probably wasn’t going to go down there,” one team employee said. “When he didn’t come down, I figured he wasn’t going to come back.”

Peterson has to remove his things this week. :loser:

Those offices have to be emptied so a construction crew can move in. The organization is moving toward a new era, and Peterson represents the past.

“It’s sort of symbolic,” the employee says.

The legend is that Peterson arrived in Kansas City in 1989, guaranteeing a Super Bowl championship within five years. It was a far-fetched notion for a team that couldn’t attract fans in the 1980s and was little more than an NFL laughingstock.

The Chiefs had success under Peterson, and he gave life to a stadium atmosphere envied in other NFL cities. But Peterson never reached the Super Bowl, and friends say Peterson didn’t talk much about that. The Chiefs reached the AFC title game after the 1993 season, but since then there have been more disappointments than celebrations. Peterson looked out from that box Sunday and saw a half-empty stadium and a losing team, a product that more closely resembled the one he found instead of the one he hoped to leave.

“For whatever reason,” former Chiefs quarterback Rich Gannon said, “it just hasn’t turned out.” :rolleyes:

Team sources have said that Peterson kept trying to chase that Super Bowl, even when others knew it was impossible. He goaded Edwards this season into signing veterans and chasing one last playoff appearance, one last chance for the old GM to ride off into the sunset the way he always hoped.

A few moments after the Chiefs lost Sunday, Peterson boarded a crowded elevator and headed for the last time toward the home locker room. There was something different about the man known for his intensity, shrewd nature and coldness. On this day, he smiled and introduced friends and a former challenger to his family, saying something about how good the years have been.

“There are a lot of memories he’ll have to pack up,” Moore said.

Peterson looked more relaxed than usual Sunday. Maybe it was because he was surrounded by family. Or maybe he was relieved his long and chaotic ride was over. He was still smiling when he kissed his daughter, a moment before the elevator door closed with Carl Peterson on the other side.

kc rush
12-22-2008, 03:36 AM
Carl is beloved. CBS told me so.

KCChiefsFan88
12-22-2008, 04:27 AM
I'm sure Bob Moore's life is going to be quite different after his 20 year stay in Dictator Carl's ass

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Claythan has no idea other than what he has read about regarding the rise of the Chiefs under CP from a perennial loser to the team with the 2nd most wins in the NFL in the 1990s (only Buffalo won more games - barely). Carl Peterson didn't get knocked out of the game in the 1993 AFC Championship Game. Carl Peterson didn't miss 3 FGs in the 1995 AFC Divisional playoff game. Carl Peterson didn't have 10 points taken off the scoreboard in the 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game. Carl Peterson wasn't the one who couldn't force a single punt in the 2003 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game.

The Chiefs were a contender for the SB for a decade, and then again in 2003. Peterson has clearly worn out his welcome in Kansas City. But Wendler and any others espousing the POV that CP wasn't the primary reason the pride returned to KC is mistaken.

Its easy to argue that Marty deserves credit for that decade of success (101-58-1). And surely he deserves credit, maybe even more than Carl. But Carl Peterson will be remembered around the league and in KC as a winner, a leader, and restorer of the pride that was lost in the late 1970s. Its time for him to go, but Mr. Wendler being the youth that he is cannot fully appreciate the Carl Peterson years by looking back in history. Ya had ta be there.

King_Chief_Fan
12-22-2008, 07:49 AM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....he talks football with Reese.
Which one screwed up the other one. I don't think anyone should listen to Reese about Thigpen and his future. If Carl can't figure that out on his own, well, no wonder he is fired!!

King_Chief_Fan
12-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Its easy to argue that Marty deserves credit for that decade of success (101-58-1). And surely he deserves credit, maybe even more than carl. But Carl Peterson will be remembered around the league and in KC as a winner, a leader, and restorer of the pride that was lost in the late 1970s.

I remember those years, but, I now will remember him as the moron who hired Herm Edwards that helped lead to his (Carl's) firing.

Braincase
12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Like any sport outside of college football, at the end of the season there can be only one. Like a 20-year run of the series "Highlander", Carl has been a bit player, getting his head cutoff each and every season before the finale. Sometimes he was a significant storyline, other times he was an extra who's demise played out in the first few weeks of the season.

His role is being written out of the script, and he's being replaced by a younger, more hip version with a higher "Q" rating.

cabletech94
12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
I remember those years, but, I now will remember him as the moron who hired Herm Edwards that helped lead to his (Carl's) firing.

Couldn't say it any better if I tried. Nice post!!!

kc rush
12-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Claythan has no idea other than what he has read about regarding the rise of the Chiefs under CP from a perennial loser to the team with the 2nd most wins in the NFL in the 1990s (only Buffalo won more games - barely). Carl Peterson didn't get knocked out of the game in the 1993 AFC Championship Game. Carl Peterson didn't miss 3 FGs in the 1995 AFC Divisional playoff game. Carl Peterson didn't have 10 points taken off the scoreboard in the 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game. Carl Peterson wasn't the one who couldn't force a single punt in the 2003 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game.

The Chiefs were a contender for the SB for a decade, and then again in 2003. Peterson has clearly worn out his welcome in Kansas City. But Wendler and any others espousing the POV that CP wasn't the primary reason the pride returned to KC is mistaken.

Its easy to argue that Marty deserves credit for that decade of success (101-58-1). And surely he deserves credit, maybe even more than Carl. But Carl Peterson will be remembered around the league and in KC as a winner, a leader, and restorer of the pride that was lost in the late 1970s. Its time for him to go, but Mr. Wendler being the youth that he is cannot fully appreciate the Carl Peterson years by looking back in history. Ya had ta be there.

He also overstayed his welcome and tarnished his image in doing so. He has no one but himself to blame for the image he now has unless you want to blame Lamar for extending Carl's contract.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Well, I respect that POV, but Herm would not have been necssary had Carl not hired DV and initiated Ramifization. Carl should have retired when DV did. Carl has not been fired. He is resigning.

kc rush
12-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, I respect that POV, but Herm would not have been necssary had Carl not hired DV and initiated Ramifization. Carl should have retired when DV did. Carl has not been fired. He is resigning.

Of course he is "resigning", so did Nixon.

Brock
12-22-2008, 08:22 AM

Herm was not "necessary" either way.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Herm was not "necessary" either way.

Well, DV was the "win now" with FA coach that handed an aging team to the next KC head coach necessitating that a HC with the ability to develop young players was called for.

Rausch
12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, DV was the "win now" with FA coach that handed an aging team to the next KC head coach necessitating that a HC with the ability to develop young players was called for.

There is nothing wrong with "win now."

If we'd even made a super bowl no one would care that we're rebuilding and look to suck for a few years.

But we didn't. We didn't win (postseason) AND we got old.

beach tribe
12-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Clark let Carl resign to save him face. Do you really not understand that?

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with "win now."

If we'd even made a super bowl no one would care that we're rebuilding and look to suck for a few years.

But we didn't. We didn't win (postseason) AND we got old.

Hey Brad, you're talking to "MR WIN NOW". SEE: Post #4.

Rausch
12-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Hey Brad, you're talking to "MR WIN NOW". SEE: Post #4.

I don't disagree on the strategies Carl used during his time here. His implementation and effectiveness I do question.

Our drafts have sucked for years. Yes, I understand he gave the say in most cases to his HC but if the HC is sucking arse in the draft it's YOUR job to see that and corret it.

While I'll just count Marty as a success (debatable) Gun, DV, and Herm were all clear failures. Carl's teams sucked as much as they were successful when you consider his entire time here.

The longer he was here the worse the franchise got...

King_Chief_Fan
12-22-2008, 08:58 AM

I am in HR, everyone that walks out the door resigns...we didn't fire anyone:thumb:
that way the employee saves some face.

Darth CarlSatan
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
He maintained the same emotion that makes watching a Chiefs game near Peterson an experience filled with passion and perfectionism.

Ultra-Power Vomit on that one...:rolleyes:

Rausch
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I am in HR, everyone that walks out the door resigns...we didn't fire anyone:thumb:

Well, yeah.

You do it to save on unemployment, they're in the eye of the media. They (well, Carl did) to save face and live to fight another day...

Stryker
12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Of course he is "resigning", so did Nixon.

ROFLROFLROFL

AWESOME!

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Here's the picture that accompanied this article in the Star. What's funny as hell about it, is that we were sitting in the front row, right where he gave that wave.

No one, and I mean NO ONE said a word to him.

So he waves for the camera...

ROFL

gblowfish
12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Bob Moore is a toady little grease stain of a brown nosing butt licker.
He's Goebbles to King Carl's Hitler.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
If anyone doubts Carl's "desire" to win, they are an idiot. I, however, doubt his ability to put together a winning team, as evidenced by 3 playoff wins in 20 years. TWENTY years. Accountability finally caught up with Carl, and that was about eight years too late. Carl had the fortune of working for one of the most forgiving bosses ever, anywhere.

King_Chief_Fan
12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, yeah.

You do it to save on unemployment, they're in the eye of the media. They (well, Carl did) to save face and live to fight another day...

Nope, we don't contest the unemployment...we pay it.

DeezNutz
12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Here's the picture that accompanied this article in the Star. What's funny as hell about it, is that we were sitting in the front row, right where he gave that wave.

No one, and I mean NO ONE said a word to him.

So he waves for the camera...

ROFL

I wondered about that when I first saw the picture. Acknowledging the crowd, huh? My first thought was that he was holding up his hand to try to silence the jeers.

If anyone had said something, I can imagine the creativity that would have infused the comment.

kc rush
12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
If anyone doubts Carl's "desire" to win, they are an idiot. I, however, doubt his ability to put together a winning team, as evidenced by 3 playoff wins in 20 years. TWENTY years. Accountability finally caught up with Carl, and that was about eight years too late. Carl had the fortune of working for one of the most forgiving bosses ever, anywhere.

Agreed completely.

KCChiefsFan88
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Carl Peterson didn't get knocked out of the game in the 1993 AFC Championship Game. Carl Peterson didn't miss 3 FGs in the 1995 AFC Divisional playoff game. Carl Peterson didn't have 10 points taken off the scoreboard in the 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game. Carl Peterson wasn't the one who couldn't force a single punt in the 2003 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Game. be there.

Your head is so far up Dictator Carl's ass you can't comprehend reality...

Who was responsible for not bringing in another kicker when Lin Elliott began missing 30 yard field goals during the regular season before that fateful playoff game against the Colts? Dictator Carl

Who was responsible for not addressing the glaring problems with the Chiefs offense after the playoff loss to the Colts in '95 that led to the complete collapse of the Chiefs offense the following season and no playoffs? Dictator Carl

Who was responsible for keeping Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon and making sure that any head coach who was hired to replace Marty, followed that same dogma? Dictator Carl

Who was responsible for failing to aggressively upgrade the Chiefs defense following the 2004 playoff debacle against the Colts, during an offseason that saw the entire front office go on vacation during the first days of the free agency signing period? Dictator Carl

The fact that you continue to defend a worthless pile of garbage such as Dictator Carl exposes you to be nothing more than a Bob Gretz wannabe.

RINGLEADER
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I give Carl plenty of credit during his early term for making the Chiefs a viable franchise. He built a team that had a real shot in the early/mid-90s. Even did enough to warrant extending his "5-year plan". If he had given the reigns to Rich Gannon after Joe Montana left he may have even delivered a Super Bowl. But he really should have gone when Marty left. His continued presence the last 10 years has done little except provide a single year of hope that was more vapor than real team management/building.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I give Carl plenty of credit during his early term for making the Chiefs a viable franchise. He built a team that had a real shot in the early/mid-90s. Even did enough to warrant extending his "5-year plan". If he had given the reigns to Rich Gannon after Joe Montana left he may have even delivered a Super Bowl. But he really should have gone when Marty left. His continued presence the last 10 years has done little except provide a single year of hope that was more vapor than real team management/building.

Good take. I'm of the opinion that he should have left with Gunther, but that's the beauty of hindsight.

Otter
12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
He's also the dip shit who didn't draft a QB to have a chance to LEARN UNDER JOE FRICKIN MONTANA when he was in KC but then proceeded to pay other teams draft picks and money for the last two quarterbacks drafted in 1993, Joe's first year here, (Trent Green & Elvis Grbac) years down the road when the team needed a QB.

Good riddence CP, just get out.

CupidStunt
12-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The fact that you continue to defend a worthless pile of garbage such as Dictator Carl exposes you to be nothing more than a Bob Gretz wannabe.

:LOL:

Darth CarlSatan
12-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Good take. I'm of the opinion that he should have left with Gunther, but that's the beauty of hindsight.

Marty should have stayed( and the cold-hard fact is that he has said as much, and regrets his decision to leave ), and CARL should have been given the fucking axe.

And Gunther should have been given Valium in his morning coffee every day by the Team Doctor.

MahiMike
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
It's pretty funny that everyone else is moving to the new offices and leaving him there. Reminds me of the joke where the family goes on vacation and never comes back. Little Johnny is left all alone.

Except in this case it's evil Carl and it's more like last year's Favre story where they actually cut his locker out and sent it to him so he couldn't come back. Classic!

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Hey you jesus-loving fucktard...I've been watching the Chiefs since 92, so I know full well.

Go fuck yourself.

Darth CarlSatan
12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey you jesus-loving fucktard...I've been watching the Chiefs since 92, so I know full well.

Go fuck yourself.

:popcorn:

whoman69
12-22-2008, 10:34 PM

I wouldn't put it that way at all. DV just did not place his faith in younger players. With the younger players we brought in I hardly blame him. Its impossible for us to say how much of the decision making for the draft was done by CP and how much was at DV's suggestion. I would tend to think that with the info about the LJ choice that it was more Carl as final arbiter.

Its one thing to suggest that DV had so much power to wreck the organization and Herm had no power to fix it. Herm took DV's system and blew it up from day 1. For a time gradual success was made on defense, but that has totally regressed. Our success on offense right now is more a system necessitated by the talent on the field. They certainly aren't as successful or diverse as the offense that Vermeil put on the field. Herm has had three years to replace Roaf, Weigman and Shields, but hasn't replaced either. For a defensive coach, Herm certainly hasn't improved on that part of the field.

As far as developing young players, so far the only ones to bear fruit are Carr and Flowers. Bowe has dropped off, Hali has regressed, DJ was never brought to potential, Albert is not the worst on our Oline but neither is he a strength. I just don't see that development that you talk about.