PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some Numbers to Think About...

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 06:56 AM
498: Number of total yards gained by the Chiefs Sunday.
31: Number of points scored against a D that had not allowed a TD in 13 quarters.
1: Tyler Thigpen's ranking in QB rushing yards.
8: Games Chiefs lost by 7 points or less in 2008.
32: Rank of the Chiefs in total defense.
-12: Temperature on the field with windchill factored in.
10: Total number of games Thigpen has started in the NFL.
18: Number of rookies on the Chiefs roster.
32,000,000: Amount of dollars Chiefs were under the salary cap by in 2008.

Can anyone hang this on Thigpen?
<!-- / message -->

Hoover
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Yet we refuse to look at his w/l number or how he preforms quarter by quarter.

I can't believe some fans really want to see Herm retained and Thigpen be named the starter for the 2009 season.

Christ, if you were a CEO of Chrysler you would probably refuse to go to DC to beg for taxpayer money because everything is great because people like your trucks, people just can't afford them...

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Yet we refuse to look at his w/l number or how he preforms quarter by quarter.

I can't believe some fans really want to see Herm retained and Thigpen be named the starter for the 2009 season.

Christ, if you were a CEO of Chrysler you would probably refuse to go to DC to beg for taxpayer money because everything is great because people like your trucks, people just can't afford them...

C'mon Hoover, W/L??? What (virtual) rookie QB playing with the NFL's worst defense and inheriting a #32 ranked 2007 offense is going to do better than Thiggy with 1 out of every 3 players on the roster being a first year pro?

Hoover
12-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Look if he's so great you have to feel confident that the new GM and HC will see alll that he brings and sign him long term right? Thigpen has been a bright spot on a 2-13 team, lets not get too excited.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Look if he's so great you have to feel confident that the new GM and HC will see alll that he brings and sign him long term right? Thigpen has been a bright spot on a 2-13 team, lets not get too excited.

You might be right but every announcer and commentator I have heard call a Chiefs game or report on a Chiefs game have said that they believe Thigpen is the Chiefs QBotF. Maybe he won't be, but he deserves a LOT of credit for the progress of the 2008 $32 mil-under-the-cap Chiefs.

Hoover
12-22-2008, 07:17 AM
I would argue that the Chiefs being $32 mil under the cap is what provided Thigpen his opportunity to play. Many on this board thought we should have had a better, younger, more durable backup QB than Haurd.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Could be! But Thiggy is set as an NFL QB prospect for the foreseeable future, whether in KC or somewhere else. Rich Gannon was the last Chiefs QB that could run the QB draw or scramble for 1st downs.

Rausch
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
I honestly believe this team could have won 4 more games with better coaching alone...

Rausch
12-22-2008, 07:27 AM
I would argue that the Chiefs being $32 mil under the cap is what provided Thigpen his opportunity to play. Many on this board thought we should have had a better, younger, more durable backup QB than Haurd.

Now we do, as well as some competition for a QBOTF.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Now we do, as well as some competition for a QBOTF.
If the Chiefs draft a QB #1, he will still have to beat out Thiggy in camp. I think Thiggy will welcome the challenge and if he can't beat out a rookie, so be it.

My money is on Thigpen.

MVChiefFan
12-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Is Thigpen the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...no. Do I think we can win with him...yes. He may not be the most accurate guy but there are not too many QB's that can move like him and he throws pretty decent on the run. He'll make his mistakes but if we can hang 31 on the Dolphins then we can stay with anyone offensively. This team needs to devote itself to getting better on defense and if that means NOT going after a QB and sticking with Thigpen to get help at LB, S and DE then I'm all for it.

Rausch
12-22-2008, 07:34 AM
If the Chiefs draft a QB #1, he should still have to beat out Thiggy in camp. I think Thiggy will welcome the challenge and if he can't beat out a rookie, so be it.

My money is on Thigpen.

Fixed it.

But I agree. Nothing should be given to Thiggy or a possible drafted QB...

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Is Thigpen the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...no. Do I think we can win with him...yes. He may not be the most accurate guy but there are not too many QB's that can move like him and he throws pretty decent on the run. He'll make his mistakes but if we can hang 31 on the Dolphins then we can stay with anyone offensively. This team needs to devote itself to getting better on defense and if that means NOT going after a QB and sticking with Thigpen to get help at LB, S and DE then I'm all for it.

:thumb:

Cosmos
12-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I honestly believe this team could have won 4 more games with better coaching alone...

How about with a special team that was special, instead of special ed?

Hydrae
12-22-2008, 09:12 AM

At least

Hydrae
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM

That is mostly due to the amount of youth and street scrubs we have had to run out there. Probably mostly due to that 32 mill sitting in the bank.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 10:46 PM
That is mostly due to the amount of youth and street scrubs we have had to run out there. Probably mostly due to that 32 mill sitting in the bank.

Oh! Think of what $32 mil could buy!

Ari Chi3fs
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
the statistics before Thigpen and after Thigpen are very telling.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
the statistics before Thigpen and after Thigpen are very telling.

I think Chan Gailey is the perfect OCoord to develop Thigpen and a unique offensive system with. This team will be scoring big next year if it continues on the same trajectory.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I think Chan Gailey is the perfect OCoord to develop Thigpen and a unique offensive system with. This team will be scoring big next year if it continues on the same trajectory.

They wont do crap if Thiggy cant read defenses from under center, and they will only go as far and Thigpens accuracy will take them...

He is going to have to learn how to play from under center and stop throwing the ball 3 rows deep on the out patterns...

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 11:09 PM
They wont do crap if Thiggy cant read defenses from under center, and they will only go as far and Thigpens accuracy will take them...

He is going to have to learn how to play from under center and stop throwing the ball 3 rows deep on the out patterns...

Those are learned skills. He has shown the athletic ability and the leadership. The technical side can be learned. I have confidence in Gailey who has gotten the most from his QBs over his career.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Those are learned skills. He has shown the athletic ability and the leadership. The technical side can be learned. I have confidence in Gailey who has gotten the most from his QBs over his career.

Very good chance that Gailey wont be here next year either, Herm has told all his asst to start looking for jobs. Reported by NFLN.

Thigpen is going to be evalutated by the next GM, HC and OC. I can seeing them drafting their own franchise QB with the 2 or 3rd pick in this years draft. IF they do that, Thiggy will go back to the bench and they will spend their time developing their own QBoTF.... Then again they might continue with Pickpen.

Probably not fair, but any respectable GM and HC will want to hitch their success or fail rate on their own guys, not some guy that is running a circus offense (reference Herm) that they might not approve of or want to continue to run.

Douche Baggins
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I bet if you looked at a list of the quarterbacks who led the league in rushing every year for the last 20 years, it'd be a long list of quarterbacks who never won a championship...and some who never even won a playoff game.

Someone get on that.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Very good chance that Gailey wont be here next year either, Herm has told all his asst to start looking for jobs. Reported by NFLN.

Thigpen is going to be evalutated by the next GM, HC and OC. I can seeing them drafting their own franchise QB with the 2 or 3rd pick in this years draft. IF they do that, Thiggy will go back to the bench and they will spend their time developing their own QBoTF.... Then again they might continue with Pickpen.

Probably not fair, but any respectable GM and HC will want to hitch their success or fail rate on their own guys, not some guy that is running a circus offense (reference Herm) that they might not approve of or want to continue to run.

You might be right. I think if Herm stays Gailey should too, but we all know how Herm feels about Arena League offenses. Too bad. Tyler Thigpen + Quinn Gray makes for 2 very mobile, athletic QBs that can run the same system should one or the other get hurt.

KCJohnny
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I bet if you looked at a list of the quarterbacks who led the league in rushing every year for the last 20 years, it'd be a long list of quarterbacks who never won a championship...and some who never even won a playoff game.

Someone get on that.

Yeah, we all know what duds Steve Young and Donavan McNabb turned out to be.

chiefs1111
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Well It would be nice if Thigpen could play well for an entire game instead of just one half.

Douche Baggins
12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, we all know what duds Steve Young and Donavan McNabb turned out to be.

I'm talking about LEADING THE LEAGUE in rushing.

Neither Young or McNabb got to the Super Bowl until they became passers first, runners second.

chiefs1111
12-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Neither Young or McNabb got to the Super Bowl until they became passers first, runners second.

Yup,when Young got the 49ers to the SB he really didn't run that much at all.

Douche Baggins
12-22-2008, 11:32 PM
McNabb's Super Bowl year was his career-low for rushing yards to that point.

Young's Super Bowl year was his career-low for rushing yards to that point, also (in years where he was the starting quarterback for 10+ games)

DeezNutz
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Some other numbers to consider:

#32. As in our defense.

2-13.

4-12

2-22

Mecca
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I actually heard Kevin Keitzman say something I agree with today...

"People in this town scare me, Tyler Thigpen had a rating of 61 yesterday with 3 INT's and people say he played a good game, what are they looking at? He's the backup of the future not the starting QB of the future, yet everyone seems to want him to be the starting QB of the future"

That's not exact but it's basically what he said.

Crush
12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
This offense is nothing more than the modern day Run and Shoot. You cannot consistently win this league with this kind of offense. Ask the early 90's Oilers about how it worked out for them. We need a real QB that can actually (gasp) read defenses and work under center.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 12:35 AM
This offense is nothing more than the modern day Run and Shoot. You cannot consistently win this league with this kind of offense. Ask the early 90's Oilers about how it worked out for them. We need a real QB that can actually (gasp) read defenses and work under center.

First, it's not that Thiggy CAN'T run anything else, it's that it was best to run it right now.

Perhaps he can, perhaps he can't be a legit starting QB in this league. I don't know. But he's played less than one full season.

Saying he can't play because of his first 10 games is as silly as saying he's our QBOTF because we we scored more in 10 games.

Continue building the team, see how all our talent develops, and let's see who can or can't play after a much larger sample size...

Mecca
12-23-2008, 12:36 AM
This offense would be fine as a package but it just can't be the base of an offense.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 12:38 AM
This offense would be fine as a package but it just can't be the base of an offense.

I think it would be great to use the way the Bills use to run the no-huddle.

It wasn't their every down offense but when they wanted to shake things up or put someone on the ropes the'd shift gears. Hard to argue with that success.

Mecca
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
I think it would be great to use the way the Bills use to run the no-huddle.

It wasn't their every down offense but when they wanted to shake things up or put someone on the ropes the'd shift gears. Hard to argue with that success.

Yea it's fine as a piece but when using it as the offense it causes problems because there are limitations to being in those sets all the time.

I understand Tyler Thigpen is very limited in what he can do right now but wouldn't it have been better to try to teach him some under center principles than go "oh well fuck it lets try to not get blown out"

Crush
12-23-2008, 12:48 AM
First, it's not that Thiggy CAN'T run anything else, it's that it was best to run it right now.

Perhaps he can, perhaps he can't be a legit starting QB in this league. I don't know. But he's played less than one full season.

Saying he can't play because of his first 10 games is as silly as saying he's our QBOTF because we we scored more in 10 games.

Continue building the team, see how all our talent develops, and let's see who can or can't play after a much larger sample size...

I agree, on all fronts, but we need an actual coaching staff in order to do that. I just hope that Thigpen's faults can be corrected by competent coaching, because this offensive system will only put up big meaningless numbers with a mediocre record to show for it. Thigpen has got to learn on how to become a more traditional QB.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Yea it's fine as a piece but when using it as the offense it causes problems because there are limitations to being in those sets all the time.

I understand Tyler Thigpen is very limited in what he can do right now but wouldn't it have been better to try to teach him some under center principles than go "oh well **** it lets try to not get blown out"

If this was a first round draft pick we were grooming to take over the team I'd agree, but lets be honest here, this was a practice-squad level guy we elevated to 3rd QB due to need. Then the first two guys went down.

By the time Thiggy took over the season was pretty much done and the fans and players both needed some reason to show up on sunday.

I won't be all that bothered by slowing the growth of our 3rd string QB by trying to win a few more games during a rebuilding year...

Rausch
12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I agree, on all fronts, but we need an actual coaching staff in order to do that.

No one will disagree with you on that.

I just hope that Thigpen's faults can be corrected by competent coaching, because this offensive system will only put up big meaningless numbers with a mediocre record to show for it. Thigpen has got to learn on how to become a more traditional QB.

To me, as a fan, Thiggy improved my gameday experience this year. He's no Steve Young but my team was nuts deep in a suck orgy and our 3rd string afterthought of a QB came in and made a few games more exciting.

For a few games Thiggy made watching the Chiefs more fun. For what he is we got our money's worth. Anything else is a cherry on top...

jjchieffan
12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Johnny, there is one important stat that is not in your list, and that is the round in which Thigpen was drafted. See now, if he had been drafted in the first round, then Hoover, Mecca, Hamas, and the rest of those guys would be singing his praises too. But, since he was a seventh round pick, then it is impossible, in their eyes, for him to succeed.

Mecca
12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
I would never sing the praises of a guy who limited what you could do offensively because he can't properly play from the most used set in the league.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Johnny, there is one important stat that is not in your list, and that is the round in which Thigpen was drafted. See now, if he had been drafted in the first round, then Hoover, Mecca, Hamas, and the rest of those guys would be singing his praises too. But, since he was a seventh round pick, then it is impossible, in their eyes, for him to succeed.

Problem is it's like two parents crashing on a deserted island. The 10 year old son manages to pay half the family bills, all by himself, for 6 months until mom and dad come home.

Mom comes home and screams at the kid for only paying half the bills. His accounting sucks.

Dad comes home and wants to make the kid the family accountant because, well, he's only 10 and he's already able to take over half the regular duties.

Both parents are fucking idiots...

Mecca
12-23-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't even dislike Thigpen, it just gets blown out of proportion because the crowd that likes him and pushes that he should be the guy gets so god damn upset when you say you don't think he is.

It has 0 to do with where he was drafted, it has everything to do with what he is, he became what Croyle would have had he not gotten hurt a good backup option.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 01:05 AM
I would never sing the praises of a guy who limited what you could do offensively because he can't properly play from the most used set in the league.

He can't?

You know, for a FACT, he never can and never will be able to be a respectable starting QB in an NFL offense?

After less than one season of play?

Call Clark, we have our next GM...

Rausch
12-23-2008, 01:06 AM
It just gets blown out of proportion...

This...

Mecca
12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
He can't?

You know, for a FACT, he never can and never will be able to be a respectable starting QB in an NFL offense?

After less than one season of play?

Call Clark, we have our next GM...

I have a feeling if he could they'd do it alot more....they tried it once in Atlanta and it was possibly the worst performance ever witnessed.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I have a feeling if he could they'd do it alot more....they tried it once in Atlanta and it was possibly the worst performance ever witnessed.

That $3it was unwatchable. Made me want to punch a nun. He's still a$$ in the 2nd half. He's still got these 2 or 3 drive stretches where he nerves out and couldn't hit an ant with an atomic bomb.

You have to admit though that he's gotten light years better since. And I'm guessing our next GM has more sense than you, me, or the average guy thinking Thiggy's fucking Troy Aikman...

Mecca
12-23-2008, 01:23 AM
That $3it was unwatchable. Made me want to punch a nun. He's still a$$ in the 2nd half. He's still got these 2 or 3 drive stretches where he nerves out and couldn't hit an ant with an atomic bomb.

You have to admit though that he's gotten light years better since. And I'm guessing our next GM has more sense than you, me, or the average guy thinking Thiggy's fucking Troy Aikman...

I certainly hope so, but hey here on the planet people think Troy Aikman was just a game manager and Carson Palmer sucks.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 01:33 AM
I certainly hope so, but hey here on the planet people think Troy Aikman was just a game manager and Carson Palmer sucks.

Aikman is a HOF'er for a reason and Palmer does suck now...

BCD
12-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Here's another stat. 3 points in the entire 2nd half for the Chiefs. Oh, and you are a blind retard.

Jayhawkerman2001
12-23-2008, 02:15 AM

Special 'Ed'wards? The name suits him well

Jayhawkerman2001
12-23-2008, 02:17 AM

but the interior of our OLine makes it rather difficult for anybody to play under center... They tried that, his first game against atlanta, didnt they?

jjchieffan
12-23-2008, 02:19 AM

I will go out on a limb and say I never was all that impressed with Aikman. I think he was just put in the perfect situation. Ryan Leaf might have been a hall of famer in Jimmy Johnson's system with that dominating offensive line, and Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. Every game Aikman missed, the backup came in and never missed a beat, but you take Smith or Irvin out, and Aikman lost more often than not. That said, I am not ready to anoint Thigpen anything. I am just not prepared to discard him as not good enough yet either. I want to see him enter the season as starter, with a full training camp and offseason to work on a pro style offense, before we make that call. If he is as bad as you think, then we will be in position to draft Sanchez next year. If he turns out to be the QBOTF, even better.

Rausch
12-23-2008, 02:35 AM
but the interior of our OLine makes it rather difficult for anybody to play under center... They tried that, his first game against atlanta, didnt they?

No one mentions it but the line play has improved leaps and bounds from game 1 to now...

Dick Bull
12-23-2008, 02:47 AM
No one mentions it but the line play has improved leaps and bounds from game 1 to now...

but here's the real question......

Is the better play of the line due to improved play or different scheme.

Mecca
12-23-2008, 02:59 AM
I will go out on a limb and say I never was all that impressed with Aikman. I think he was just put in the perfect situation. Ryan Leaf might have been a hall of famer in Jimmy Johnson's system with that dominating offensive line, and Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. Every game Aikman missed, the backup came in and never missed a beat, but you take Smith or Irvin out, and Aikman lost more often than not. That said, I am not ready to anoint Thigpen anything. I am just not prepared to discard him as not good enough yet either. I want to see him enter the season as starter, with a full training camp and offseason to work on a pro style offense, before we make that call. If he is as bad as you think, then we will be in position to draft Sanchez next year. If he turns out to be the QBOTF, even better.

Wasn't that the mantra coming into the year? "If we're picking in the top 5 again we'll know the answer to the question about QB"

I remember that being said quite alot.

Fruit Ninja
12-23-2008, 03:27 AM

You said it all right there. They had to learn to not run as much and trust their arm. You know how that happens? WHen they get into years 2-3-4 and experience. No one wants to give Thigpen that chance. They all want him to come out looking like Matt Ryan did this year.

I bet Ryan is going to have a year or 2 where he really struggles at times.

mikey23545
12-23-2008, 03:32 AM

Someone get on that.

I bet if you looked at a list of "sportswriters" who live with their parents, are virgins, and like to suck cock, it would be a list of "sportswriters" who don't know a ****ing thing about QB play...

Someone get on that.

jjchieffan
12-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Wasn't that the mantra coming into the year? "If we're picking in the top 5 again we'll know the answer to the question about QB"

I remember that being said quite alot.

That was said in regards to Croyle, and we got our answer. Croyle could not stay healthy. We also had no idea that Thigpen would show anything to give us any hope. Another thing that was said was that the pick of QB's this year was going to be bad. That certainly hasn't changed. Stafford will go first to the Lions, anyone else will be a reach, so why throw the pick away? Let Thigpen have a chance. You yourself said many times we were 2-3years away from being competitive, so what harm is there in giving Thigpen next year to prove himself?

lazepoo
12-23-2008, 05:00 AM
That was said in regards to Croyle, and we got our answer. Croyle could not stay healthy. We also had no idea that Thigpen would show anything to give us any hope. Another thing that was said was that the pick of QB's this year was going to be bad. That certainly hasn't changed. Stafford will go first to the Lions, anyone else will be a reach, so why throw the pick away? Let Thigpen have a chance. You yourself said many times we were 2-3years away from being competitive, so what harm is there in giving Thigpen next year to prove himself?

The Dolphins and Falcons are proof that it doesn't take 3 years to turn a club around, and I believe like others here do that we could have won about half of our games this year with better coaching...

That said, what's wrong with bringing in some competition for Thigpen or anyone else on the roster? I want the best team on the field, period, and successful teams always bring in young talent because you never know when Bernard Pollard is going to go all bonecrusher on your starter's knee.

Color Red
12-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Things to appreciate about Thigpen: When a guy named Vick was trying to find his potential and scattering defenses around the league with his legs, he was the envy to most all. This season in the red-and-gold we have had the number one running play make QB in the NFL. There are things you can learn and things you can't learn at this level of play. Hopefully he has enough of the things you can't learn, and he can learn enough of the things you need to have to win.

KCJohnny
12-23-2008, 05:42 AM

You can talk about anything you want. The thread topic starter is talking about QB rushing yards.

Dick Bull
12-23-2008, 05:43 AM
I bet if you looked at a list of "sportswriters" who live with their parents, are virgins, and like to suck cock, it would be a list of "sportswriters" who don't know a ****ing thing about QB play...

Someone get on that.

why you hating on my lover [/hamas]

KCJohnny
12-23-2008, 05:45 AM
I actually heard Kevin Keitzman say something I agree with today...

"People in this town scare me, Tyler Thigpen had a rating of 61 yesterday with 3 INT's and people say he played a good game, what are they looking at? He's the backup of the future not the starting QB of the future, yet everyone seems to want him to be the starting QB of the future"

That's not exact but it's basically what he said.

Rating shmating. It was 8 degrees with a 20 MPH wind, he's in only his 10th NFL start, he leads the team to 31 points and 500 yards of total offense against a 9-5 team that had not allowed a TD for 13 quarters.

I guess Thiggy should have passed out hot chocolate on the sideline between series and made a couple of tackles on STs as well. :rolleyes:

Dick Bull
12-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Rating shmating. It was 8 degrees with a 20 MPH wind, he's in only his 10th NFL start, he leads the team to 31 points and 500 yards of total offense against a 9-5 team that had not allowed a TD for 13 quarters.

I guess Thiggy should have passed out hot chocolate on the sideline between series and made a couple of tackles on STs as well. :rolleyes:

I was there. There was no such thing as HOT chocolate.

Douche Baggins
12-23-2008, 05:51 AM
You can talk about anything you want. The thread topic starter is talking about QB rushing yards.

That's...what I was talking about....... :spock:

Braincase
12-23-2008, 06:28 AM
The numbers need to be broken down objectively. How does Thigpen in his first 10 games as a starter compare to other quarterbacks? I think he compares pretty favorably, especially when you look at TD/Int ration, completion percentage, total yards. His rushing yards are incredible. I think he definitely needs to be retained and given a chance. That said, I'm not real crazy about drafting a QB in the first round. We're going to have another rough year next year, winning 5-6 games at best, regardless of who's coaching/quarterbacking/gming.

Hell, 2010 might be a better year for drafting a QB anyway. Get the defense fixed, daft either LB or DE in the first round (LB from USC/Wake or the DE from Texas). Spend some midround picks on linemen. This entire draft should be 4 picks on D and 3 picks on O.

Mecca
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Should we factor in how many more INT's he should have, the law of averages will catch you when this happens..

And I'm sorry we all made fun of how Vick sucked and they'd never win anything with him.

King_Chief_Fan
12-23-2008, 05:07 PM
more numbers to consider
6 wins, 26 losses

32 - defense ranking with a head coach who prides himself in D

Rain Man
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Mecca
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM

The number of brain cells Herm has caused you to lose?

Vegas_Dave
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Number of times you have smiled at the thought of Carl being gone!

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Thats the number of cart wheels I am going to do when Herm is fired!

PGM
12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Thigpen's done just fine for a 1st year starter, but you just have to go QB if one is available and is graded out high enough when you have that top 3 pick. Just can't take that chance of Tyler being a complete bust. He's had some damn fine moments and is an exciting player to watch, but when it's ugly for him it is really ugly. If they don't get that QB next year and he can improve on that accuracy a tad I have no problem with him as the starter.

damaticous
12-23-2008, 07:14 PM
C'mon Hoover, W/L??? What (virtual) rookie QB playing with the NFL's worst defense and inheriting a #32 ranked 2007 offense is going to do better than Thiggy with 1 out of every 3 players on the roster being a first year pro?

:clap:

boogblaster
12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Defense and Special-team play killed us this year .. Thiggy has earned his paycheck lately ... For just having a few starts in the NFL and little help in the second halfs, some of it his fault as well, he still should get a shot to QB this team next year ...

Douche Baggins
12-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Our cap room?

Rain Man
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
No, no. It's the numbers in the original post. I thought about them.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Thigpen's done just fine for a 1st year starter, but you just have to go QB if one is available and is graded out high enough when you have that top 3 pick. Just can't take that chance of Tyler being a complete bust. He's had some damn fine moments and is an exciting player to watch, but when it's ugly for him it is really ugly. If they don't get that QB next year and he can improve on that accuracy a tad I have no problem with him as the starter.

Its impossible for him to be a complete bust. He's competetive already on objective standards of performance. He's started 10 games. I think he's improving and has loads of potential. But I also attribute 51% of his success to Chan Gailey.

El Jefe
12-24-2008, 07:42 AM

This. I think we do need to draft a QB, but it depends on who we want and when we want them. I am just tired of watching our horrendous defense, it's just a downright joke.

BigChiefFan
12-24-2008, 07:50 AM
We need another QB no matter what.

On another note, I would say Thigpen is AMPLE PROOF, you don't have to be 6'3" and 240 lbs to be able stay in the game as a QB-that myth should be blown all to Hell.

Otter
12-24-2008, 08:08 AM
You did this same thing with Gunther. Point is moot.

dj56dt58
12-24-2008, 08:19 AM

:thumb:

MVChiefFan
12-24-2008, 08:21 AM
[/B]

This. I think we do need to draft a QB, but it depends on who we want and when we want them. I am just tired of watching our horrendous defense, it's just a downright joke.

I'm with ya and I just don't quite understand it. I mean, we can create some turnovers and we've been knockin' the piss outta people (especially in the last few games). We just can't stop people from scoring on us. It's rediculous and I think it obviously starts with a pass rush, then a MLB that can do work and as much as I like Page/Pollard, one of those guys have to go. Both of them back there is too much of a liability.

dj56dt58
12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
McNabb's Super Bowl year was his career-low for rushing yards to that point.

Young's Super Bowl year was his career-low for rushing yards to that point, also (in years where he was the starting quarterback for 10+ games)

so...your saying they became better passers...you mean..they developed more...you mean they weren't cut after their second season...you mean...ok im done

ChiefsCountry
12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
0 - Number of 7th round Quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl

talastan
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Yeah because it could never happen!! :shake: Failed Post. I'm not declaring Thiggy as the QBotF, but I also want to give him his chance at the starting job next season. Draft a QB in the second or third, because frankly short of both Bradford and Stafford declaring this year, there won't be a QB worth the #3 pick much less a first round even if we trade down. Pick up a MLB, or DE from Texas and go QB in the second or third. If we keep and develop this spread option a little more with the new GM, and possible HC, then you already have a number of QB's available with experience in the spread. Use alot of picks on interior and right side OL and the top picks on either MLB, DE, or QB if and only if Stafford or Bradford are there IMO.

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah because it could never happen!! :shake: Failed Post. I'm not declaring Thiggy as the QBotF, but I also want to give him his chance at the starting job next season. Draft a QB in the second or third, because frankly short of both Bradford and Stafford declaring this year, there won't be a QB worth the #3 pick much less a first round even if we trade down. Pick up a MLB, or DE from Texas and go QB in the second. If we keep and develop this spread option a little more with the new GM, and possible HC, then you already have a number of QB's available with experience in the spread. Use alot of picks on interior and right side OL and the top picks on either MLB, DE, or QB IMO.

Fail...

Because the fact that we have tried this approach for the last 20 years sure has produced alot of Championships....

What is funny is everybody thinking they have an answer and we dont even have a GM, HC and staff yet...

Who knows what the hell they will decide to do and how they will build this team...

talastan
12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Fail...

Because the fact that we have tried this approach for the last 20 years sure has produced alot of Championships....

What drafting a QB? Last I checked we've been using FA retreads till Herm came in and wanted to develop a draft pick QB. I said I'm all for drafting a QB, just don't see one that pans out for us at #3. Anyone else other than Bradford or Stafford would be a significant reach. I agree that we don't know what the new GM or HC will be using as far as offensive, or defensive philosophy. That is why I think you go into the season until the new GM or HC state different with Thigpen as the starter, and have him compete with whoever else comes into the picture at TC.

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
What drafting a QB? Last I checked we've been using FA retreads till Herm came in and wanted to develop a draft pick QB. I said I'm all for drafting a QB, just don't see one that pans out for us at #3. Anyone else other than Bradford or Stafford would be a significant reach. I agree that we don't know what the new GM or HC will be using as far as offensive, or defensive philosophy. That is why I think you go into the season until the new GM or HC state different with Thigpen as the starter, and have him compete with whoever else comes into the picture at TC.

So we are forsure drafting at #3? Not bashing here, just so you know... But you think Stafford will be gone by 3? Plus I am not sure a new HC and GM will continue to run the circus offense that we are now... We have to be able to go under center and run the ball late in the year. This offense is fun and great as a change of pace, but it wont carry us to the playoffs or beyound...

Bowser
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
498: Number of total yards gained by the Chiefs Sunday.
31: Number of points scored against a D that had not allowed a TD in 13 quarters.
1: Tyler Thigpen's ranking in QB rushing yards.
8: Games Chiefs lost by 7 points or less in 2008.
32: Rank of the Chiefs in total defense.
-12: Temperature on the field with windchill factored in.
10: Total number of games Thigpen has started in the NFL.
18: Number of rookies on the Chiefs roster.
32,000,000: Amount of dollars Chiefs were under the salary cap by in 2008.

Can anyone hang this on Thigpen?
<!-- / message -->

Turd polisher. This team can't finish, rookies or no, unused cap or no, and that falls directly on the shoulders of this coaching staff.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
so...your saying they became better passers...you mean..they developed more...you mean they weren't cut after their second season...you mean...ok im done

:clap:

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I guess Tom Brady winning 3 as a 6th rounder confirms your thesis.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm with ya and I just don't quite understand it. I mean, we can create some turnovers and we've been knockin' the piss outta people (especially in the last few games). We just can't stop people from scoring on us. It's rediculous and I think it obviously starts with a pass rush, then a MLB that can do work and as much as I like Page/Pollard, one of those guys have to go. Both of them back there is too much of a liability.

Great insights, MVChiefFan.
I think it has a lot to do with youth and inexperience. We need a pass rushing DE (we HAD one) and a real Mike backer than can dominate sideline to sideline. As long as we run Cover Who, I agree, there is a vulnerability at safety as well. Good post.

Douche Baggins
12-24-2008, 07:41 PM
99999999999999 - the number of times KCJohnny has bumped his own threads

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:41 PM
99999999999999 - the number of times KCJohnny has bumped his own threads

You just did it for me. Thanks!

Douche Baggins
12-24-2008, 07:43 PM
You just did it for me. Thanks!

I'm going to go kick over a nativity scene tonight just for you.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm going to go kick over a nativity scene tonight just for you.

This was actually a very good football discussion until you interjected your sophomoric and petty personal snipes.

Merry Christmas.

Douche Baggins
12-24-2008, 07:58 PM
This was actually a very good football discussion until you interjected your sophomoric and petty personal snipes.

Merry Christmas.

Welcome to Chiefsplanet.

Bah Humbug.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Turd polisher. This team can't finish, rookies or no, unused cap or no, and that falls directly on the shoulders of this coaching staff.

True. With better coaching Thigpen doesn't slip on the frozen field on 4th and 1. With better coaching Barth doesn't miss the 50 yarder at the end of the SD game.

Dude, this is the YOUNGEST team in the league. It matters.