PDA

View Full Version : Life 10% Paycuts for Everybody!!!

Buck
12-22-2008, 02:46 PM
YAY!

7 Months ago they give me $1/hr raise to go on Salary.

Today I took a 10% paycut, which is essentially $1.63/hr.

Should I demand to go back on hourly?

Bowser
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Sweet!

blueballs
having a job at all
could be a good thing
rough it could get

luv
They cut your pay for no reason?

raybec 4
12-22-2008, 02:49 PM
YAY!

My logic may be fouled, but I would hesitate to make any "Demands" given the current job market.

Buck
12-22-2008, 02:56 PM
They cut your pay for no reason?

They cut my pay because they "had to."

Merry Christmas.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
They're saving you from Obama's tax on the rich. Thank them.

Mr. Plow
12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
My logic may be fouled, but I would hesitate to make any "Demands" given the current job market.

This.

Be happy you have a job.

Donger
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
1) Are you sure it's a cut for everyone?

2) Sharpen up your resume.

Taco John
12-22-2008, 03:02 PM
YAY!

If you in to demand to go back to hourly, all you're doing is putting your head on the chopping block. That kind of person is exatly the type that management wants to weed out first.

Iowanian
12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Didn't you just post that several other people in your Dept just got non-negotiable 100% PAY cuts?

You've still got a job.

Taco's right this time.

Squeaky wheel won't get the grease....it'll get the axe.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 03:06 PM
This.

Be happy you have a job.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. Did they cut their prices by 10%? Basically, they're saying that you need to help fund their company even though you'll take no stake in it what so ever. If you're able to find something else for better money, start looking. When they ask you why, tell them you had too.

Buck
12-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Didn't you just post that several other people in your Dept just got non-negotiable 100% PAY cuts?

You've still got a job.

Taco's right this time.

Squeaky wheel won't get the grease....it'll get the axe.

Yeah you are right.

I'm not in any kind of position to demand anything, but yeah it sucks.

Dartgod
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah you are right.

I'm not in any kind of position to demand anything, but yeah it sucks.
It does. My company announced pay cuts a couple of weeks ago. I'm not happy, but it's better than the alternative.

blueballs
12-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Mohillbilly could kidnap your CEO
and bring him to your door in a bow

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. Did they cut their prices by 10%? Basically, they're saying that you need to help fund their company even though you'll take no stake in it what so ever. If you're able to find something else for better money, start looking. When they ask you why, tell them you had too.

They may not have cut their prices by 10%, but there may be 10% fewer people buying blowup Snoopy dolls or whatever it is that Buckinkaeding makes.

Gonzo
12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
having a job at all
could be a good thing
rough it could get

Hmmmmmm....
Very insightful you are.

aturnis
12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Now's not a time to rock the boat.

BWillie
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Ya, same thing happened to me but you probably will not sympathize with me. We have already worked 38.75 hours, but starting in 2009 they will start making us work 40 hours a week. We are technically salary but get paid hourly if we work overtime. So that means we work more, and get paid less per hour in the long run. What a crock of shit

wolfpack0735
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
my stepmom who works for yellow freight said about a month ago everyone from the top to the bottom had to take a 10% cut. at national gypsum plant where i work, we went from 6 and 7 days aweek to 4 and 5.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 03:58 PM
They may not have cut their prices by 10%, but there may be 10% fewer people buying blowup Snoopy dolls or whatever it is that Buckinkaeding makes.

Honestly man of Rain, I have no doubt that you pay your employees an honest, and fair wage. I don't have the same faith in the rest of humanity. My experiences are, that you get everything you can, and you're probably still not getting what you're "worth". Of course in my business it's a lot more subjective.

Saulbadguy
12-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Just show up to work 10% less. You are salary so it's all good.

banyon
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Just pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. It's a snap.

JuicesFlowing
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
It's a good thing to know in tough economic times that certain ass bag baseball players can hold out for the highest bidder, upwards of 160 mill or more. :bravo:

Buck
Just show up to work 10% less. You are salary so it's all good.

Oh, and since they laid off a few people last week, for the next 3 weeks its mandatory that I work a 7 am to 6 pm schedule.

In another funny, related story, last week I worked from 8 am to 4:30 pm on Tuesday, and my boss was going on about how since I left early blah blah blah....I told him, boss, 8 am to 4:30 is an 8 hour Shift, thats normal, and he said, oh, I never realized that.

kstater
That sucks man. I'd see what you can do, but I wouldn't press it too much. I was forced to lay off a guy a couple months ago. Now I was told to lay off 2 more. I told them I'd do it, but it'll wait until after Christmas to do it.

Simply Red
12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
They're saving you from Obama's tax on the rich. Thank them.

awesome :Poke:

:bravo:

Saulbadguy
12-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Oh, and since they laid off a few people last week, for the next 3 weeks its mandatory that I work a 7 am to 6 pm schedule.

In another funny, related story, last week I worked from 8 am to 4:30 pm on Tuesday, and my boss was going on about how since I left early blah blah blah....I told him, boss, 8 am to 4:30 is an 8 hour Shift, thats normal, and he said, oh, I never realized that.

11 hours for 8 hours pay? That pretty much sucks. Guess it's better than nothing but i'd look for a new job.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 04:07 PM

If that's the case, then he should just be working 10% less hours.

I wonder how many employers are using the economy excuse to cut pay when they really don't need to, cuz ya know you should just be thankful to have a job. :rolleyes:

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
If that's the case, then he should just be working 10% less hours.

I wonder how many employers are using the economy excuse to cut pay when they really don't need to, cuz ya know you should just be thankful to have a job. :rolleyes:

I am thankful to have a job, it just feels like I'm getting screwed.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Most people know when they have a dick in their ass. Look around, you may find someone that better appreciates your ability, and reliability.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Get on craigslist and see what's goin on in San Diego. Companies are starting their searches now for their new year employees. I'm being courted for another job right now. I wasn't even looking. I just keep my resume online.

Yeah the economy may be shit, but that doesn't mean that it's all doom and gloom. If you're talented, you'll be working if you live in a big city.

bogey
12-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Assuming you are a good employee, you are no less valuable to your company now, than you were when the economy was strong. Don't forget that.

Donger
12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Assuming you are a good employee, you are no less valuable to your company now, than you were when the economy was strong. Don't forget that.

Well, 10% less valuable.

BWillie
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Get on craigslist and see what's goin on in San Diego. Companies are starting their searches now for their new year employees. I'm being courted for another job right now. I wasn't even looking. I just keep my resume online.

Yeah the economy may be shit, but that doesn't mean that it's all doom and gloom. If you're talented, you'll be working if you live in a big city.

Define talented. I'm going to be looking for a new job full on starting Jan 2009

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM

I've been looking on Craigslist for the past 3 months.

Not because I don't like the place, but because the drive is too long, and also I had to work w/ my ex for a while, til she got shit canned on friday.

If the earth somehow folded on itself and my drive was only 5 miles, I'd be 2 for 2.

Mr. Flopnuts
Define talented. I'm going to be looking for a new job full on starting Jan 2009

Experienced, accomplished, successful, relentless. Those are some words that would define talented in the working world. Where have you been? And what have you done to increase revenue for those organizations? How did you benefit them and change them for the better? If you can articulate those points into a resume and into an interview guess what? You're hired.

bogey
Well, 10% less valuable.

I suppose you're right. I wonder what would happen if he called them on it, and said no to the pay cut?

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I suppose you're right. I wonder what would happen if he called them on it, and said no to the pay cut?

They told all of us if we have a problem with that, that we could find employment elsewhere.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been looking on Craigslist for the past 3 months.

Not because I don't like the place, but because the drive is too long, and also I had to work w/ my ex for a while, til she got shit canned on friday.

If the earth somehow folded on itself and my drive was only 5 miles, I'd be 2 for 2.

Only now you're going to be making $300 less per month. Yet you'll be working more. Try careerbuilder, monster.com, hotjobs.com, and any online local news publication that posts jobs. Little Nickel, weirdo alternative magazines, anything. I know you're in a niche field, but I would have a hard time believing there isn't more money and fewer hours in your industry in San Diego.

Don't get me wrong, if you're happy, then right on. All I'm saying is, you need to strongly evaluate the statement your employer made when they told you to your face that they were going to pay you less in order for you to do more.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
They told all of us if we have a problem with that, that we could find employment elsewhere.

Make sure they're aware of the 39 weeks of unemployment they'll be paying you if they lay you off.

Donger
12-22-2008, 04:42 PM

I would imagine he would be sans job.

bogey

That sucks dude. Hang in there.

kstater
Make sure they're aware of the 39 weeks of unemployment they'll be paying you if they lay you off.

They've already paid for that insurance(well any legal company has).

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
They've already paid for that insurance(well any legal company has).

But they get that money back if it goes unused. At least they do in the state of Washington.

bogey
12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I would imagine he would be sans job.

I guess I'm lucky I work in the TV industry.

Pestilence
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
But they get that money back if it goes unused. At least they do in the state of Washington.

The County (which is where I work) not only gets that money back but it's rolled into the County general fund.

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM

Wait, I didn't think you could quit and get unenployment.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 04:48 PM

You can, but they penalize you for it, I think something like 6-8 weeks.

kstater
12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
You can, but they penalize you for it, I think something like 6-8 weeks.

And the employer can fight it.

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Im not going to quit unless I have another job.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Do you honestly believe the company needed to make these cuts to remain profitable?

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you honestly believe the company needed to make these cuts to remain profitable?

I don't know.

We've gone from a crew of about 35 to about 14 (including 2 owners) over the last 6 months.

The owner said he doesn't see this lasting more than 6 months (this being the paycut).

The best part is that back in May, they made us all sign something saying we don't expect any pay raises until January of 09.

Donger
12-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I would verify that the 10% wage cut was across-the-board.

Donger
12-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't know.

We've gone from a crew of about 35 to about 14 (including 2 owners) over the last 6 months.

The owner said he doesn't see this lasting more than 6 months (this being the paycut).

The best part is that back in May, they made us all sign something saying we don't expect any pay raises until January of 09.

The company is in serious fiscal crisis. Look for another job. Now.

Buck
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I would verify that the 10% wage cut was across-the-board.

Everyone was in the meeting...:shrug:

bogey
12-22-2008, 04:57 PM

See, that's my thought. They're not trying to simply remain profitable, they're trying to remain equally profitable during a down economy, at the employees expense. I wonder if they would let a valued employee go if said employee met with management and negotiated a different deal?

bogey
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't know.

Oh my. I'd keep my eyes wide open.

lazepoo
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Im not going to quit unless I have another job.

You'll have better leverage for your next salary if you keep your current one until you find something better.

That does suck to work more for less, though. At an old job of mine, I made a point of taking multiple bathroom breaks for 15 mins or longer to make up for all the smoke breaks that my coworkers were taking during the day.

On a side note, is there any way you can streamline your work so that you can get more done in the same amount of time? At least then you could be leisurely about things or finish the work ahead of schedule and leave when you want to.

A silver lining to the entire situation is that you'll be more valuable when the economy starts to recover and you can demand more money in a few months or tell them to kiss your @$$ as you leave.

Donger
12-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Everyone was in the meeting...:shrug:

Did the managers/owners also take at least a 10% cut in wages?

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Its so hard finding a job that I'm qualified for.

I've been looking, theres nothing.

In January I am taking a pre-requisite class that will let me become an intern at a Radio Station. Then I'll be able to intern Starting next July/August. Then hopefully I get a full time job there.

I want to be in Sports Radio.

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Did the managers/owners also take at least a 10% cut in wages?

There is actually 3 owners.

1 Owns 10%, the 2 others own 45%.

They all took at least a 35% paycut.

Donger
12-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Its so hard finding a job that I'm qualified for.

I've been looking, theres nothing.

In January I am taking a pre-requisite class that will let me become an intern at a Radio Station. Then I'll be able to intern Starting next July/August. Then hopefully I get a full time job there.

I want to be in Sports Radio.

Well, I'd say it's a good bet that your job is going to lose you. Think about it: they did this the week of Christmas. Unless they're complete and total a$$holes, the are critically short of money.

Baconeater
See, that's my thought. They're not trying to simply remain profitable, they're trying to remain equally profitable during a down economy, at the employees expense. I wonder if they would let a valued employee go if said employee met with management and negotiated a different deal?

Yeah, it's a tough call. The fact that they have already downsized recently is definitely a bad sign, sounds like he probably best not push it right now.

Donger
There is actually 3 owners.

1 Owns 10%, the 2 others own 45%.

They all took at least a 35% paycut.

Good for them.

eazyb81
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know.

And this didn't concern you?

HemiEd
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Exactly, this is not fun for management to do. It is much more fun and easier to hand out raises. I am guessing top management took much larger cuts.

We were just discussing having to do this very thing today, probably more than 10%. It is not fun.

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
And this didn't concern you?

I sort of think of it like that Show Survivor.

Can I Outwit/Outplay/Outlast everyone to the end? Only time will tell.

Some of my alliances have been broken this last week, when 2 of my friends were laid off.

The weirdest part is that technically I should have been the lowest on the Totem Pole, all but 1 of the times, but I've made it through every cut.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 05:11 PM

I don't believe they can force you to take a wage cut. I think you can refuse and they can let you go. If they let you go, over your refusal to take a wage cut you get full benefits. Don't quote me on that, but it's worth looking into. Especially if you think you can find another job.

Bwana
12-22-2008, 05:17 PM

That was my first thought as well. Step up the search Buck, because it looks to me like one way or the other, you will be leaving.

bogey
12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it's a tough call. The fact that they have already downsized recently is definitely a bad sign, sounds like he probably best not push it right now.

Agreed he shouldn't push it. However, there's nothing wrong with meeting one on one and testing the waters in a professional manner.

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
That was my first thought as well. Step up the search Buck, because it looks to me like one way other the other, you will be leaving.

Its really hard to do a full-fledged Job Hunt when you have a job you need to be at 50+ Hours a week.

Hydrae
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't believe they can force you to take a wage cut. I think you can refuse and they can let you go. If they let you go, over your refusal to take a wage cut you get full benefits. Don't quote me on that, but it's worth looking into. Especially if you think you can find another job.

I was thinking along these lines as well. May be something worth checking with your unemployment deparment for the state.

Bwana
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Its really hard to do a full-fledged Job Hunt when you have a job you need to be at 50+ Hours a week.

Check things out on-line at night, get a few head hunters involved. Hell, take half the time you use to normally post here to make the time.

eazyb81
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
A lot of major companies have either had big layoffs or company-wide paycuts (FedEx just had a 10% cut).

If you have a better offer, take it. But companies are doing this because the economy flat out blows, and it's going to be difficult to find a better job in this environment.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Yep, and that's why all these people who say "the best time to look for a job is when you already have one" are FOS.

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Check things out on-line at night, get a few head hunters involved. [b]Hell, take half the time your use to normally post here to make the time.[b]

Although I do post a lot, I dont spend too much time on here.

Its easy to just read and post in a couple of seconds.

I would probably get in less trouble if caught posting here than if caught looking for new jobs.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Although I do post a lot, I dont spend too much time on here.

Its easy to just read and post in a couple of seconds.

I would probably get in less trouble if caught posting here than if caught looking for new jobs.
And that's another thing, if your employer catches wind of your job hunt, you can probably kiss your current job goodbye. "The Man" has you right where he wants you.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
You'll have better leverage for your next salary if you keep your current one until you find something better.

That does suck to work more for less, though. At an old job of mine, I made a point of taking multiple bathroom breaks for 15 mins or longer to make up for all the smoke breaks that my coworkers were taking during the day.

Is that how you got the nickname "lazypoo"?

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM

My guess would be that nine other people wouldn't get their pay cut.

kstater
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Exactly, this is not fun for management to do. It is much more fun and easier to hand out raises.

This is overlooked a lot of times. A lot of people take the easy route and just say their cutting just to keep the fat cats pockets lined. But the reality is that a great majority of companies have to make those tough decisions to cut employees. Those in management are real people who do feel for the one's their letting go. I had to let go an employee a couple months ago that had worked there for 15 years. You think I was laughing while on the way to cash my check? Lost many nights sleep over it.

Buck
12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
This is overlooked a lot of times. A lot of people take the easy route and just say their cutting just to keep the fat cats pockets lined. But the reality is that a great majority of companies have to make those tough decisions to cut employees. Those in management are real people who do feel for the one's their letting go. I had to let go an employee a couple months ago that had worked there for 15 years. You think I was laughing while on the way to cash my check? Lost many nights sleep over it.

I know its tough for management to do.

I just feel like since I went on salary, I'm the only person working 10 hours a day consistently for the past 7 months. I just feel like they kept telling me NO OVERTIME when I was on hourly, then they put me on Salary, and now I am making $0.65 less "per hour" then I was before I went on Salary, and I am expected to work OT...

Thats really my only gripe.

Plus they fired the only eye-candy we had left.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 05:56 PM

There's some simple math on top of that. If an employer is making money off an employee, that employee will not be let go. Period. If the employer is losing money on an employee, that employee will eventually be let go. The thought of laying an employee off to make employers richer is a mathematical impossibility unless there's some external interference.

blueballs
12-22-2008, 06:01 PM
a half a millioniare can get a threeway
these days

Buck
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
a half a millioniare can get a threeway
these days

ROFL

chief52
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Taking a 10% pay cut totally sucks, especially since you are now salary which in effect was an hourly pay cut to start with. Just gotta keep carrying on while you look for something better.

I feel damn lucky. We negotiated a new contract with the company I work for a couple of months ago. We got 4% per year for the next 3 years. We did take a few benefit cuts, but we were damn lucky. I hate to think how it would have gone if they were negotiating now.

Hoover
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
If you came in to my office and did that, I'd say fine, enjoy unemployment dumb ass.

Saulbadguy
12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
On the other hand, if you stick with it and do your best, and the company stays afloat through the rough times, you could get rewarded for your loyalty eventually. Maybe.

Buck
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
On the other hand, if you stick with it and do your best, and the company stays afloat through the rough times, you could get rewarded for your loyalty eventually. Maybe.

Yeah.

I got some words of encouragement.

One of the owners came up to me and said, the only way you are going, is if I am going. Which basically means that If I get laid off its because the company is going under.

This company has survived a recession before, so I think they know what they are doing.

BWillie
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
And that's another thing, if your employer catches wind of your job hunt, you can probably kiss your current job goodbye. "The Man" has you right where he wants you.

Can they legally do that?

Saulbadguy
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM

ROFL

kstater
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM

I would imagine that anyone working under contract has a clause forbidding them from looking for other work.

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
There's some simple math on top of that. If an employer is making money off an employee, that employee will not be let go. Period. If the employer is losing money on an employee, that employee will eventually be let go. The thought of laying an employee off to make employers richer is a mathematical impossibility unless there's some external interference.Unless of course you're union. Then a worthless waste of space almost has be kept over a hard worker, only because he's been there a couple of months longer.

BWillie
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
ROFL

What? I don't have a contract. I wouldn't think they would be able to fire you if you were just looking for other work.

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
What? I don't have a contract. I wouldn't think they would be able to fire you if you were just looking for other work.

They can make up something, such as poor job performance. Or they could simply lay him off. It's not hard to get rid of an employee if you want them gone.

chief52
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM

They are laying people off. You will just be the next to go. They are not going to state that is why. They can just get rid of you.

BWillie
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
They can make up something, such as poor job performance. Or they could simply lay him off. It's not hard to get rid of an employee if you want them gone.

What if you have extremely high performance, never miss days, and no behavioral issues? How do they just make s*it up? I guess I never see that happen in our company unless someone is just a complete waste of space

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
What if you have extremely high performance, never miss days, and no behavioral issues? How do they just make s*it up? I guess I never see that happen in our company unless someone is just a complete waste of spaceI once worked at a place where they fired a driver for filling out applications. (He was on the clock though. Bad idea.)

For years the only time I ever got a raise, was when I had found another job and resigned. I got raises to stay three seperate times.

It wasn't that I was unhappy though. Just that a contact from another company would make a better offer.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 07:54 PM
What if you have extremely high performance, never miss days, and no behavioral issues? How do they just make s*it up? I guess I never see that happen in our company unless someone is just a complete waste of space

Actually, in many states the law is employment at will. The employer doesn't have to have a reason, other than "I don't want you to work here any more."

Baconeater
12-22-2008, 07:54 PM

You're probably not working for a struggling company that may be looking for any reason to get rid of employees.

banyon
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Actually, in many states the law is employment at will. The employer doesn't have to have a reason, other than "I don't want you to work here any more."

Most states have it, though many recognize the difficult-to-prove "impled employment contract" (often proven through employer handbooks/policies).

Kansas doesn't do that, but I think MO might.

Buck
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
2 More People laid off today.

Dont worry, I never tried to sleep with either of them.

Baconeater
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I hope you updated your resume.

Buck
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
I hope you updated your resume.

Soon.

Bill Parcells
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Things are gonna get ugly in the next few months. either look for another job or grin and bare it.

Baconeater
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Things are gonna get ugly in the next few months. either look for another job or grin and bare it.

He'll definitely get shitcanned if he "bares" it.

prhom
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
2 More People laid off today.

I prefer a pre-emptive resignation to being fired or being asked to do jobs I hate. I fear the handwriting is on the wall for you unless you're their best employee. Good luck either way!

mikey23545
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Ya, same thing happened to me but you probably will not sympathize with me. We have already worked 38.75 hours, but starting in 2009 they will start making us work 40 hours a week. We are technically salary but get paid hourly if we work overtime. So that means we work more, and get paid less per hour in the long run. What a crock of shit

Jeebus, people getting laid off right and left, and all your company asks is that you work an extra hour every week and you're whining?!?!?!

ROFL

MOhillbilly
12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
had to go back to the shop. nomore outcalls for abit. lost the use of the company car, that one stung the most. but i still have a job and someone else doesnt . bottom line, i like my job be it inshop or outcalls and i didnt have to tell the kids & old lady i got laid off. is what it is & life goes on.

mlyonsd
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
This thread needs some cheering up.

In December I got a 3.5% raise on my annual salary and about a 15% end of year bonus.

I love Warren Buffet.

Buck
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
This thread needs some cheering up.

In December I got a 3.5% raise on my annual salary and about a 15% end of year bonus.

I love Warren Buffet.

My balls, lick them.

RaiderH8r
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Is it the burning sensation in your bunghole that is tipping you off?:D

patteeu
12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Just be thankful that you didn't have a bigger salary to start with. Imagine how much 10% of a six figure salary would have been.

patteeu
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM

I think this is good advice. Working hard and doing a good job will eventually lead to rewards whether it is at his current company or somewhere down the road.

sedated
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
yeah, one of the owners already said Buck isn't going anywhere as long as he is still there.

if and when the company looks to re-expand, there will be a lot of opportunity to make up that 10% and then some.

(assuming, of course, that same owner didn't give the same rah-rah speech to all the survivors in an attempt to boost moral)

sedated
12-31-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd get on that resume ASAP.

I keep mine updated regardless. If my boss pisses me off, I just fire out a few of 'em. Cheers me right up.

Buck
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
yeah, one of the owners already said Buck isn't going anywhere as long as he is still there.

if and when the company looks to re-expand, there will be a lot of opportunity to make up that 10% and then some.

(assuming, of course, that same owner didn't give the same rah-rah speech to all the survivors in an attempt to boost moral)

Yeah, we are literally down to the Core.

This business cannot run without anyone that is still remaining here, without some big changes being made.

I'll stick this out until it gets better or I get laid off and can collect unemployment for a little while.

I'm hoping that when the ship finally rights itself, I will be rewarded w/ some kind of compensation for sticking it out.

HemiEd
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Just be thankful that you didn't have a bigger salary to start with. Imagine how much 10% of a six figure salary would have been.

ROFL

HemiEd
12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
We were just discussing having to do this very thing today, probably more than 10%. It is not fun.

I am supposed to be on vacation today, but am in here working on a cutback plan.
It is not fun, I am going to have to let some good people go and cuts for the rest of us.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
People losing their jobs right and left, taking pay cuts and sacrificing to keep the jobs they have, and someone who wonders why I have so much trouble taking him seriously, complains about actually having to work 40hrs/week.

There are a lot of salaried people who would love to cut down to 50hrs/wk.

BK, I'll bet if you look around, you can find something to make up that %10 plus some on the side.

Buck
12-31-2008, 02:42 PM
People losing their jobs right and left, taking pay cuts and sacrificing to keep the jobs they have, and someone who wonders why I have so much trouble taking him seriously, complains about actually having to work 40hrs/week.

BK, I'll bet if you look around, you can find something to make up that %10 plus some on the side.

Wait, are you talking about me or BWillie?

I work about 50-60 hrs/week on Salary...

I've looked around as much as I can w/ the time allotted, and theres really not much right now.

Its slim pickens.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 02:45 PM
I wasn't talking about you until the end.

Keep looking/thinking about it. You've got a skill/time/connection that will allow you to replace that cash.

Mow yards, clean out garages via craigslist, be a nude model at one of those art colleges. There is always something. Do you have any handy-man/computer/car detailing skills?

MOhillbilly
12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

lol. i work a straight 40 at work. then another 40-50 at home.

mans game bitch.:D

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm self employed....I don't even count my hours anymore(non-billable that is).

Buck
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I wasn't talking about you until the end.

Keep looking/thinking about it. You've got a skill/time/connection that will allow you to replace that cash.

Mow yards, clean out garages via craigslist, be a nude model at one of those art colleges. There is always something. Do you have any handy-man/computer/car detailing skills?

Hmm...I never thought about that.

Thanks for the Protip.

Iowanian
12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Are there any "retirement communities" for older folks in your area? They'd be a gold mine for hourly labor just helping them move and clean up stuff.

If you've got a truck or access to one, I'll bet you could make pretty good money just hauling stuff for people, advertise word of mouth or craigslist.

You'll make a decent hourly rate, cash only....money ahead in your pocket in the big picture, just working saturdays.

Donger
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Are there any "retirement communities" for older folks in your area? They'd be a gold mine for hourly labor just helping them move and clean up stuff.

If you've got a truck or access to one, I'll bet you could make pretty good money just hauling stuff for people, advertise word of mouth or craigslist.

You'll make a decent hourly rate, cash only....money ahead in your pocket in the big picture, just working saturdays.

Is that what happens when the old people die? They just hire some person to haul away the body?

Demonpenz
12-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Is that what happens when the old people die? They just hire some person to haul away the body?

depends if they had family or not, lots of time they just throw them in a pond somewhere

Donger
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
depends if they had family or not, lots of time they just throw them in a pond somewhere

I knew it. There's a huge retirement place that I go by on my rides and it has a really weird odor. Not just normal 'old people smell,' but something really icky. It makes my skin crawl every time I smell it.

Demonpenz
12-31-2008, 03:29 PM
I knew it. There's a huge retirement place that I go by on my rides and it has a really weird odor. Not just normal 'old people smell,' but something really icky. It makes my skin crawl every time I smell it.

it's probably the nearby pond

Chiefaholic
12-31-2008, 03:38 PM
The salaried positions in my cmpany recieved a 20% pay cut. And about half of the hourly employees lost their jobs permanently. I've had to watch several of my friends get their walking papers, some of which were very good employees, but havn't been with us longh enough.

Buck
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Got a call about 7 pm.

Coworker, "Hey, Check your bank account, my paycheck from last friday just bounced."

Me, "Lame, I'll Check it out."

*Checks bank account*

*Check has been returned Debit - $xxx.xx*

*Check return fee Debit $15*

Me, "****!"

*Checks with many other coworkers, all of which are now $xxx.xx less rich*

*Calls back Coworker*

Coworker, "Hello?"

Me, "****, bro!"

KCFalcon59
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Not good. I'd be calling the boss right now.

Buehler445
03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Got a call about 7 pm.

Coworker, "Hey, Check your bank account, my paycheck from last friday just bounced."

*Checks bank account*

Me, "****!"

*Calls back Coworker*

Coworker, "Hello?"

Me, "****, bro!"

Well fuck that in the facehole.

Baconeater
03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I hope you've updated your resume.

Stinger
03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Got a call about 7 pm.

*Checks bank account*

Me, "****!"

*Calls back Coworker*

Coworker, "Hello?"

Me, "****, bro!"

Is this the person who got let go a week or so getting back at the company? Or is this saying the company just Fudged everyone and said .....

Well Bye.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Chief%20Planet/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

???/

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm in graduate school hoping the job market is better in two years. I don't know what to think. I couldn't find a job opening in my career field.

luv
03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Got a call about 7 pm.

*Checks bank account*

Me, "****!"

*Calls back Coworker*

Coworker, "Hello?"

Me, "****, bro!"

I'm not sure, but, if it wasn't do to a technical glitch, I'd say your company won't be open much longer.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
This has been going on how long dude? You have to see the writing on the wall. Start looking. Otherwise get your unemployment shit together. You're going to need it very soon.

Baconeater
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure, but, if it wasn't do to a technical glitch, I'd say your company won't be open much longer.
I had it happen to me once, it turned out the owner's bookkeeper had been embezzling money for months. Needless to say, I didn't work for the guy for much longer.

Buehler445
03-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm in graduate school hoping the job market is better in two years. I don't know what to think. I couldn't find a job opening in my career field.

I'm currently looking for a different position. May end up keeping the one I got....

What field are you in?

Iowanian
03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe tomorrow, go into work, and walk out with some "collateral".

Buehler445
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Maybe tomorrow, go into work, and walk out with some "collateral".

If you've got a key, do it tonight.

Iowanian
03-18-2009, 10:28 PM
If they don't explain properly or give the correct answers.....I sure as hell wouldn't complete my TPS reports tomorrow. I'd take an 8hr shit.

http://www.imjosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/office-space-copier.jpg

Iowanian
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Regardless.....if you go/stay at work, spend tomorrow job hunting, updating your resume' and maybe use their envelops and postage. They're on your dime now.

I've been through this....they scrambled and made pay roll, but that was my bat signal to leave. I gave notice, took a job through a head hunter for 3 months while I looked for a good job, which I found.

I don't see much future there for you now.....bail.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm currently looking for a different position. May end up keeping the one I got....

What field are you in?

I was in newspapers, which are dying. I was laid off at my paper and decided grad school was the way to go. Newspapers are laying off so many good employees right now. I guess it's like that in every industry. The Kansas City Star had its third wave of layoffs two days ago. Newspapers right now are like a pizza without sauce, cheese and toppings.

djrcmay
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Sure beats losing your job, like so many people are right now.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Sure beats losing your job, like so many people are right now.

Yeah, I'd disagree. I'd much rather stay home if I'm not getting paid.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer had its last paper a couple days ago. This is a video of employees talking about what they will miss. I think the paper is going online only and will focus on "community journalism." That means more bloggers and citizen journalists. They're only keeping 10-15 employees.

The future of journalism might be online, but bloggers and "citizen journalists" aren't real journalists. Also, The vast majority of journalists aren't like the attention-grabbing schmucks on ESPN. That's my rant.

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1526070353" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=16577990001&playerId=1526070353&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="320" height="288" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Baconeater
03-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Technology has been eliminating jobs for the last 100 years Sam. It's not anything new.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Technology has been eliminating jobs for the last 100 years Sam. It's not anything new.

Right, but I don't think blogs and citizen journalists are the answer for newspapers. They're cutting the real journalists and there's almost nothing left.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Right, but I don't think blogs and citizen journalists are the answer for newspapers. They're cutting the real journalists and there's almost nothing left.

This post smacks of pretentiousness. And that's part of the problem. People have long loathed the fact you guys always think you're so much more intelligent, and better versed than the rest of us. You completely dismiss the fact that there are a ton of talented people out there that don't necessarily have their sheep skin in journalism. The market is supporting my assessment.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
This post smacks of pretentiousness. And that's part of the problem. People have long loathed the fact you guys always think you're so much more intelligent, and better versed than the rest of us. You completely dismiss the fact that there are a ton of talented people out there that don't necessarily have their sheep skin in journalism. The market is supporting my assessment.

I'll be interested to see what happens when a citizen journalist gets sued for libel.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Blogs make people think they're journalists, but they aren't.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I'll be interested to see what happens when a citizen journalist gets sued for libel.

Who is Jay Mariotti for $1000 Trebek.

Sam Hall
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
I needed a Bachelors to work at a regional newspaper. Journalism isn't so easy that anyone can do it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2009, 11:54 PM
I needed a Bachelors to work at a regional newspaper. Journalism isn't so easy that anyone can do it.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying that. Not at all. I just think that we're learning that there is a lot of talent out there that doesn't have that. Is there a lot of tripe? Of course. It's the internet.

However there is enough solid content, combined with the portability of it through mobile devices that guys like me can get it on demand, and up to date at the push of a button. I used to read the paper every day. At some point though I found myself reading about stuff I already knew.

patteeu
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Got a call about 7 pm.

*Checks bank account*

Me, "****!"

*Calls back Coworker*

Coworker, "Hello?"

Me, "****, bro!"

A 10% paycut starts looking pretty good compared to a 100% paycut, huh? :)

Buck
03-19-2009, 12:03 AM
So, not that I think this is going to happen, but what if I show up tomorrow at work and Its locked w/ a chain?

The weird thing is that it seemed like everything was getting better at work. They even hired somebody extra because we were getting so much work.

Luckily, unlike some of my coworkers, I have money to spare, but some of them have written checks that depended on that check, now they are going to bounce.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
So, not that I think this is going to happen, but what if I show up tomorrow at work and Its locked w/ a chain?

The weird thing is that it seemed like everything was getting better at work. They even hired somebody extra because we were getting so much work.

Luckily, unlike some of my coworkers, I have money to spare, but some of them have written checks that depended on that check, now they are going to bounce.

You should check into CA law. I believe that you are not obligated to report to work until that check is honored. I also think your employer may be liable for your salary every day you're not there until they provide said money. I could be wrong, but it would be pretty easy to find with a google search.

Buck
03-19-2009, 12:11 AM
You should check into CA law. I believe that you are not obligated to report to work until that check is honored. I also think your employer may be liable for your salary every day you're not there until they provide said money. I could be wrong, but it would be pretty easy to find with a google search.

Im not doing that.

Then I'd get fired for no apparent reason a couple weeks down the line.

HMc
03-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah, don't do that.

Unless you have either a)leverage over your employer (they really CANT afford to lose you) or b)enough money to take 6 months - 1 year off and not be stressed about it, now is NOT the time to be rocking the boat, regardless of any injustices you feel you've suffered.

Attend work as normal, it's likely there'll be an explanation and a timeframe for payment if it affects many of the staff, as you mentioned.

Taco John
03-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Who is Jay Mariotti for $1000 Trebek.

Mariotti is a Columnist. Anybody can be a columnist. All you need is an opinion and someone willing to pay you to write it.

MahiMike
03-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Get a 2nd job or play online poker to make up the difference.

Sandyskc
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Been there, done that. I know it stinks, but start checking to make sure other things are being paid. When this happened to me, we found out after the company went under that life and health insurance had not been paid, 401K deductions had not been forwarded to our accounts and taxes deducted from our checks had not been paid. It got real nasty real quick.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Im not doing that.

Then I'd get fired for no apparent reason a couple weeks down the line.

Maybe. Assuming their doors are still unlocked a couple of weeks down the road. You're right though, you shouldn't do that. I would start looking though, and I'd have my u/e shit together in case I needed that buffer.

Buehler445
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd go, but I'd spend my time updating my resume.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
HEY!

Lets take these life lemons and make lemonade, and see if life gave those 2 co-workers Vodka.

No reason to worry about things being awkward at work.....Its "lets celebrate not getting paid" work-Orgy Lunch party!!!

Buck
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Adding symbols in for secrecy.

Everyone.***
We are aware *** there is a some kind of problem,*** I am working to resolve *** it as soon as I can.
I understand the*** issues that this may cause*** but feel assured we ***will resolve it!
FYI ***our records show that*** there is NO ***reason for this problem.

I will update ***everyone as information ***comes available.

Buehler445
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Fuck that. I'd ask to see their payroll account balance. It shouldn't take much for them to bring it up if there is REALLY no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Everyone.***
We are aware *** there is a some kind of problem,*** I am working to resolve *** it as soon as I can.
I understand the*** issues that this may cause*** but feel assured we ***will resolve it!

It reads like a telegram delivered from Nigeria pursuant to a 3 million dollar lottery win.

Soupnazi
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Perhaps if "journalists" didn't spend so much time promoting their own views (ala bloggers), people wouldn't find the two equivalent. The downfall of journalists is that there are very few impartial, investigate-and-report journalists left.

Stewie
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Everyone.***

I worked for a small company several years ago that went through this sort of thing. They had a revolving credit account that dried up. The company was having problems paying bills etc., and the bank finally said, "No more credit!" We managed to get paid, but my resume was being sent to everyone, everywhere, the minute I found out what was going on. Funny, but that company is still in operation, but has never really grown from what it was 20 years ago.

Sam Hall
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Perhaps if "journalists" didn't spend so much time promoting their own views (ala bloggers), people wouldn't find the two equivalent. The downfall of journalists is that there are very few impartial, investigate-and-report journalists left.

This illustrates one of the problems. It's guilt by association. Some people think all journalists are like the attention-grabbers on ESPN. That's not true. The vast majority of journalists are underpaid and working their asses off in small towns.