PDA

View Full Version : Life So I got unemployeded Friday

RJ
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I've mentioned a few times that I was worried if the company I worked for (I sell flooring) would make it through the winter. They didn't. I did everything in my power to avoid this. I liked my job and the people I worked for and with. Unfortunately, we were a small business and a 25% drop in sales - about $1m - just wasn't something we could withstand. Really a shame, we did a lot of things right in our 8 years in business.

Fortunately, we've lived moderately over the years and don't have a lot of bills so I have some time to decide where to go from here. The biggest problem is that it's not a good time of year to be looking for work, even in a good economy. I've been considering opening my own place but obviously there are some drawbacks to that right now.

Oh well. like the old saying, I was looking for a job when I got there.....

DeezNutz
12-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Wishing you nothing but the best.

Keep your head up and think things through, thoroughly, before acting and you'll be fine.

Phobia
Sorry to hear it, RJ. Wish I could have helped somehow.

jjjayb
Good luck. I just recently lost my job and started a new one. Didn't need the 2 week loss of income but it's probably for the better as I really like this new place better.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Dang. We're living in the economic equivalent of a marine assault on Iwo Jima.

Good luck to you. I hope you find another job or open your own place. And actually, I've always kind of thought that it's not necessarily bad to start a business in rough times. It'll take you some time to get your feet under you, and a new business will grow even in hard times.

Gracie Dean
12-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I will pray you find something and not just anything but something you enjoy!

KC Jones
12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
bummer! Good luck to you sir - I'm sure you'll be landing on your feet and taking off running in no time.

banyon
Good luck dude. If you have trouble with an unemployment claim, post that or PM me I have dabbled in that a bit.

KcMizzou
Ugh. Hate to hear it, RJ.

Best of luck to you.

RJ
12-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Dang. We're living in the economic equivalent of a marine assault on Iwo Jima.

Good luck to you. I hope you find another job or open your own place. And actually, I've always kind of thought that it's not necessarily bad to start a business in rough times. It'll take you some time to get your feet under you, and a new business will grow even in hard times.

I've been thinking that way myself. On the one hand, business sucks, but on the other hand I think the vendors will be anxious to work with me as far as display fixtures and co-op money. Obviously, that decision will come down to dollars and sense.....whether I have enough dollars and if I decide it makes sense.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Lived moderately? What the hell does that mean? /99% of Americans

In all seriousness, I hope you find something soon. Hopefully you can still enjoy the holidays a bit, what a rotten time for this to happen. Not that there's really ever a good one.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM

He probably means hes not living beyond his means racking up a ton of debt.

Sorry to hear the bad news .

Best of luck in your job search RJ

Johnny Vegas
Sorry to hear. I've been doing a little day trading in the weak market and I've done some what decent for the little experience I have. I've been practicing for a few years now and basically trade about 15 companies that fluctuate a lot to make quick money. It beats getting a job thats for sure, if you're successful. My goal is to make $500 a day every month. One would average 22 days a month to trade and $500 x 22 = $11,000 a month. Though some days I don't make $200, but you can sort of get the picture. I hope for a quick turn around and you figure something out that works.

Bwana
Sorry to hear that RJ. I hope you find something you like soon.

cdcox
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear this, RJ. If you decide to try your own business, I wish you the very best. Otherwise, I hope you find an employer worthy of your talents.

kc rush
12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Good luck finding something new RJ.

NewChief
12-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Bummed to hear it, man. The hits to our local businesses are total killers.

Adept Havelock
12-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Damn sorry to hear that, RJ. May probabilities start breaking in your favor soon.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Really sorry to hear it, RJ. Best of luck in the search.

It's definitely going around. My mom got the "retire or be retired" speech earlier this month. She would have been at her place 23 years in February.

Mosbonian
12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I've been thinking that way myself. On the one hand, business sucks, but on the other hand I think the vendors will be anxious to work with me as far as display fixtures and co-op money. Obviously, that decision will come down to dollars and sense.....whether I have enough dollars and if I decide it makes sense.

As a Corporate Credit Manager, I would caution you a little on this thinking. Suppliers/Manufacturers are hit just as hard as the retail business and most are tightening credit standards. Most companies are bracing for a 12-18 month lull, with only those with good payment habits and a history of payments within terms being allowed flexible lines of credit.

The days of "floor planning" might also see a hit....many businesses run on the same lines of credit from their suppliers or even banks, and will be pressed to make sure that A/R is keeping at a good level with little delinquency.

I'm not saying that opening a business of your own isn't a good idea, just have a good 18-24 month business plan in place. Budget wisely for your business just like it appears that you have for your personal affairs. People will be spending, but it will be for value and quality. I've walked away from 3 remodelers who thought they were going to make their winter quota when I asked them to quote me a price on finishing my basement. I don't mind paying for quality workmanship, but I'll be damned if I will let a guy gouge me because he thinks I might not know any better. (sorry about the rant)

Good luck in whatever direction you take....there are jobs out there but with unemployment as high as it is, it's a "buyers" (read employers) market.

mmaddog

Frazod
12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, my wife got unemployeded the same way about a month ago. The place was allegedly going to reopen under new management. Looks like that was pie-in-the-sky bullshit.

Best of luck to you.

RJ
12-22-2008, 09:03 PM

In all seriousness, I hope you find something soon. Hopefully you can still enjoy the holidays a bit, what a rotten time for this to happen. Not that there's really ever a good one.

That's a good question.

I should have said modestly. We live very much within our means. My car is 11 y/o. wife's is 5 y/o, we don't carry much CC debt, we didn't buy the biggest bestest house we could afford, etc.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
That's a good question.

I should have said modestly. We live very much within our means. My car is 11 y/o. wife's is 5 y/o, we don't carry much CC debt, we didn't buy the biggest bestest house we could afford, etc.

I knew what you meant, that comment was completely TIC.

RJ
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I knew what you meant, that comment was completely TIC.

Yeah, but I pride myself on good communications skills.

It's the stress, I tell you!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Best wishes RJ. Please read mmaddogs post carefully. I'm in the same line of work and wish to reiterate his sentiment. It's not a good time for small business owners to be looking for money. Be prepared to borrow it personally and hedge not only your savings, but your family's good name on it's success as well. Maybe that extra risk will result in extra hard work and much success. A little bad luck could set you guys back for over a decade though. Whatever you do, much prosperity and Godspeed.

PastorMikH
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear it RJ.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but I pride myself on good communications skills.

It's the stress, I tell you!

Well obviously mine suck since at least two of you didn't get it. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Well obviously mine suck since at least two of you didn't get it. :)

I got it. It's not you, it's them. Wait, what?

Buehler445
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
RJ, damn man, that is shitty to hear. It has just been an all around shitty ass Monday. Anyway, if you need any help with anything, please PM me. I don't have a lot of leads, but would be happy to help you update your resume, write cover letters, etc. I've done some applying/interviewing lately, so I'm still pretty fresh.

Anyway, best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

RJ
12-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Best wishes RJ. Please read mmaddogs post carefully. I'm in the same line of work and wish to reiterate his sentiment. It's not a good time for small business owners to be looking for money. Be prepared to borrow it personally and hedge not only your savings, but your family's good name on it's success as well. Maybe that extra risk will result in extra hard work and much success. A little bad luck could set you guys back for over a decade though. Whatever you do, much prosperity and Godspeed.

Thank you. Yes, I know you and mmadog are right, I've been watching the credit tighten. The credit departments seem to be running the show for our suppliers lately. Bastards. Just cause we don't have any money to pay them we have to go out of business.....

It's a tough call. On the one hand, I'm tired of working for other people. On the other hand, I hate to risk all our savings, especially at a time when even well established businesses are dropping like flies.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Thank you. Yes, I know you and mmadog are right, I've been watching the credit tighten. The credit departments seem to be running the show for our suppliers lately. Bastards. Just cause we don't have any money to pay them we have to go out of business.....

It's a tough call. On the one hand, I'm tired of working for other people. On the other hand, I hate to risk all our savings, especially at a time when even well established businesses are dropping like flies.

All that said, I don't want to discourage you. I said in another job related thread tonight that people who are talented are not going to have a problem making money; recession, depression, or otherwise. Only you know your current talent level, and if you've got the game I always say go get it. I do sincerely wish you all the luck whatever you decide to do. You're definitely one of Chiefsplanet's good guys.

patteeu
12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Good luck, RJ. Sorry to hear you lost a job you liked. Those are the best kind.