PDA

View Full Version : Life How Secure Is Your Job?

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:03 PM
It seems as if we may have ourselves a lil ol' recession going on. How far away are you from the soup line?

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Screw you. I'm not jinxing myself.

:)

BWillie
12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't think I would ever get fired or laid off unless I took a sh*t on my managers desk....so I'd say very secure.

Gracie Dean
12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Pretty somewhat secure

Bugeater
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, I'm technically "laid off" until after the first of the year, but I could care less. I needed a vacation.

NewChief
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I've actually been thinking about researching education jobs during the last Depression. I think that teachers are pretty safe, but I guess we could face layoffs and such. It would require some legislation, though, due to laws on caps on class sizes.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 08:19 PM
It seems as if we may have ourselves a lil ol' recession going on. How far away are you from the soup line?

The wife works in the finance industry, and she said her bosses bosses are already just calling it a flat out depression.

NewChief
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
My wife, on the other hand, works for a small company as a graphic designer. I think that her job is pretty secure, but her bosses are making some risky expansions in their product lines that scare the shit out of me. That being said, I'm privy to some of the financial details, and I approve of their moves. They fall underneath diversification for the company with very little investment on the front end.

The thing that sucks is that she's spearheaded a seriously big account recently (a wedding line with Mindy Weiss for anyone who keeps up with such stuff) and probably won't see any immediate return on her efforts in the way of a raise.

Mr. Flopnuts
I won't be going anywhere unless I choose too. I work for a small company, we just did some layoffs a couple of months ago, but it came down to only two people in house. The other two laid off were contract, work from home guys. So we went from 71 employees to 67.

Of course I am being courted by a larger company that just laid off half of its staff. They want to pay me a lot more money, so it's proving to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be when the process began.

Reerun_KC
My security depends on the owners and thier willingness to travel... Considering we are flying this

Beechjet 400a

http://www.eliteaironline.com/images/beechjet400_thumbs/beechjet_pic_01_big.jpg

And working on upgrading to this.. They want to travel international, Hawaii and Europe non stop from San Fran/New York. As of right now we are pretty secure.

Challenger 601

http://www.controller.com/images/Controller/fullsize/73812895.jpg

Dick Bull
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
depends

Buy pizza, though.

Bowser
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm jealous of Reerun. Being a lear pilot is a dream job of mine.

beach tribe
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
It's getting harder, and harder to stay bust at work. Business has definitely slowed. Thankfully we are an international company, and are doing a lot of work in China, and Singapore, but even they are not supplying us with as much work as usual.

Guru
12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

:)I second that motion.:(

Skip Towne
12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
They can't afford to lose me. They would have to hire three people to replace me.

DaFace
12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I just hope Rain Man doesn't decide he hates me. :D

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
They can't afford to lose me. They would have to hire three people to replace me.

Okay, I can't resist. Would the third one be Shemp or Curly?

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:29 PM

I hate to break it to you, but you're in front of me on the layoff list.

NewChief
12-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Considering you guys' line of work, this poll might be the deciding factor in whether he lays off all his employees or keeps you on board. You better start creating alts and stuffing the ballot box.

Dick Bull
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM

That's what I told my first boss.........as he fired me.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm jealous of Reerun. Being a lear pilot is a dream job of mine.

I was talking to the owners the other day and when they upgrade to the Challenger, Mrs Reerun_KC can go along with us on the oversea trips. Mrs Reerun_KC will be a stewardess on the flights, then we will have free room/board for the time we are on the trips... And get paid while being there...

I cant wait!

chief52
12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Fortunately my job is pretty recession proof. The country depends on electricity and you have to have lineman to keep the juice flowing. Any of you young guys that like the outdoors and like to work hard and are looking for a career may want to check it out. It is a great job and I believe there will be lots of openings in the near future...world wide. Every place has linemen.

blueballs
12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
people find the money for crack

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Okay, I can't resist. Would the third one be Shemp or Curly?

Skip can be replaced by these!

http://www.3monkeysracing.co.uk/images/monkey%2520crop.jpg

chief52
12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I was talking to the owners the other day and when they upgrade to the Challenger, Mrs Reerun_KC can go along with us on the oversea trips. Mrs Reerun_KC will be a stewardess on the flights, then we will have free room/board for the time we are on the trips... And get paid while being there...

I cant wait!

Hopefully the business these owners are in continues to thrive. What a great gig. Good luck.

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Okay, I can't resist. Would the third one be Shemp or Curly?LMAO

(Curly, if they're smart)

Reerun_KC
Hopefully the business these owners are in continues to thrive. What a great gig. Good luck.

They own a huge home health service here in the state of OK and are expanding to KS and TX this coming year....

Iowanian
I don't think my area feels the recessions as quickly or as bad as larger metros.

I've recently completed my first year in private business and feel pretty good about my security. I've got a couple of fall-back and support plans in place should my line of work dry up.

I'll find out the first week of Jan, how my 2009 is going to start out, when I find out if I'm awarded a couple of contracts.

I live within my means, and am not afraid to get dirty to pay the bills in a pickle.

Frazod
12-22-2008, 08:41 PM
My firm tends to cater to wealthy clients, so I think we're more recession-proof than most. A couple of months ago I was getting worried because things were really slow, but business has picked up lately.

So far, no one has been let go. We had a bad day back in 2002 when six people got greased, but nothing like that has happened since.

And personally, I'd be pretty fucking difficult to replace. Not impossible, but difficult.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM

I cant wait!

Yeah, what can go wrong with being the pilot of the Challenger?

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, what can go wrong with being the pilot of the Challenger?

I dont know, the only that will be kind of freaky is being out over the North Alantic or Pacific at night... Turn the auto pilot on and just sit back and relax...

Bowser
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM

I cant wait!

OK, now you're just rubbing it in.

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
To be serious for a minute...

My company (A large dealership in KC) is pretty diversified. We're a GM dealer, but we've also got Mack, Freightliner and Volvo on the big truck side of things. GM is really a small percentage of our business.

Also, parts has always been the money maker where I work. We ship parts all over the country, to fleets of trucks. If people aren't buying new trucks, and/or passenger vehicles... they've got to buy parts to keep the old ones on the road.

Also, we're union. I've got 8 1/2 years in... so that provides some cushion, should they be forced to lay people off. Worst case... the newest couple of stockmen or order pullers go... back countermen fill their spot... Front countermen fill theirs... Fleet salesmen fill theirs, etc.

I've been front counter for about a year and a half now.

Logically, I feel pretty secure. But in times like these... it's still hard not to be a little nervous.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice thing about the Challenger vs a Beechjet is the room in the cockpit! Man you can kick back and stretch out in the 601 vs the little 400a...

Challenger 601
http://www.premieraviation.ie/images/site/photo_gallery/jd_challenger_601_2.jpg

Beechjet 400a
http://www.nextjets.com/images/images_extra/RK94_Cockpit.JPG

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:52 PM

yeah that wasnt really nice of me...

I sorry! :D

cdcox
12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm a university full professor (tenured many years ago), so I'm relatively safe. I'm one of the most senior faculty members in our department. Still our state budget is under a lot of stress. The higher education budget in my state is slated for a 15% cut in next year's budget. We could see some layoffs, even among faculty members (probably not this year, but if things stayed bad and got worse I could see it). About the only way they could get rid of me would be to eliminate the program. I'd be one of the people turning out the lights. I have already mapped out a scenario by which they could close our department, but it is a really long shot, and really short sighted, since our grads can actually get jobs, make stuff, plug into the green economy, yada yada.

I wouldn't be surprised at all by a pay cut.

Things are bad.

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Nice thing about the Challenger vs a Beechjet is the room in the cockpit! Man you can kick back and stretch out in the 601 vs the little 400a...

Challenger 601
http://www.premieraviation.ie/images/site/photo_gallery/jd_challenger_601_2.jpg

What do those switches near your left knee do? Do they roll down the windows?

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM

FWIW, the Challenger 601 has a range of about 2900 nm vs the Beechjet 400a around 1500 nm....

Challenger will climb up to the Mid 30's at a minimum of 4000 ft per min where the Beechjet will climb around 2000 ft per min up to mid 20's and by the time we get to cruise around 38,000 we are down to about 500 ft per min... We can cruise in the Challenger in the mid to upper 40's... That will be so sweet!

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 08:57 PM
And which of those controls the stereo? I bet that thing has a great stereo.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 08:58 PM
What do those switches near your left knee do? Do they roll down the windows?

The turn on the mirror heaters and adjust the seats height... LMAO

One of them adjusts the lumbar support... :D

Actually they are all part of the radios and the big boxes below the 6 little ones in a row are the Flight Management Systems... That is what we program for our route of flight...

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:00 PM
And which of those controls the stereo? I bet that thing has a great stereo.

Actually in the back they have 2 24" flat panel TV's with a bose surround sound system... Plus they have the Airshow, which shows Airspeed, Alt, location and Time Enroute...

We have bose headsets... Wish we could listen to music or something, but legally cant....

chief52
12-22-2008, 09:04 PM
below the 6 little ones in a row are the Flight Management Systems... That is what we program for our route of flight...

So if Kennedy Jr. would have programmed his flight in before he left he would not have crashed? Sounds like he was in way over his head as far as pilot to air craft, but I know nothing about flying. Just what I "surmised" ...

Rain Man
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Actually in the back they have 2 24" flat panel TV's with a bose surround sound system... Plus they have the Airshow, which shows Airspeed, Alt, location and Time Enroute...

We have bose headsets... Wish we could listen to music or something, but legally cant....

Are you ever tempted to do the ol' "Hi, this is the captain speaking. We're now at 37,000 feet, and the temp - OH MY GOD! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" schtick?

2bikemike
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Fortunately my job is pretty recession proof. The country depends on electricity and you have to have lineman to keep the juice flowing. Any of you young guys that like the outdoors and like to work hard and are looking for a career may want to check it out. It is a great job and I believe there will be lots of openings in the near future...world wide. Every place has linemen.

Same here except I am an Operator at a power plant. We have 4 crews of 3 to man the plant 24/7. Very recession proof business. Pretty much why I chose this field.

Iowanian
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
More job security for rerun.

I see there is a job opening in the Denver area now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20081222/airport-accident/images/23fe01e6-cf27-4b8f-a7af-89136c867104.jpg

chief52
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Same here except I am an Operator at a power plant. We have 4 crews of 3 to man the plant 24/7. Very recession proof business. Pretty much why I chose this field.

Yes, Operators are very valuable commodity. You could get a job anywhere. They just gave ours a pretty healthy raise...that is how important they are to our company. Damn important to my life as well.

Not sure if you "operate" the plant or the system. Obviously they are both integral parts of the flow of electricity.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
So if Kennedy Jr. would have programmed his flight in before he left he would not have crashed? Sounds like he was in way over his head as far as pilot to air craft, but I know nothing about flying. Just what I "surmised" ...

Actually JFK jr made a critical decision that turned fatal. He decided to flying at night over water in very low visability. He was only a private pilot and was not instrument rated. Yes if he would of used or had an auto pilot on board with GPS coupling and ALT hold, he might of been safe, even though he wasnt instrument rated and in a bad situation for a pilot..

Being over water, at night is like flying into a black hole. You have zero visual reference to which way is up or down... Your body is fighting inertia and spinal disorientation. Basically he didnt know which way was up and without reading his gauges or knowing how to spot trends in the gauges, he flew himself into the water and never knew what hit him....

luv
12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I got laid off a year ago, but ended up with a promotion I had put in for. I got sold to another company back in August, but rehired doing something completely different two weeks later. I'm almost afraid that the third time will be the charm. Or maybe I have nine lives at the company. I'm currently on number three.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Are you ever tempted to do the ol' "Hi, this is the captain speaking. We're now at 37,000 feet, and the temp - OH MY GOD! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" schtick?

Yeah, but the owners know us pretty well, they would just laugh at us or come up and smack us on the back of the head...

We were out in Tuscon a few weeks ago and we were drinking margaritas with them... After a great Filet Mignon supper of course. And they got on this kick about someone and a donkey, or wanting to go to Mexico to see a Donkey. Well it was all a blur, but it came to me that I have a donkey ring tone on my cell phone.

Well we were cruise home in the King Air the next day and I que'd it up and played it over the intercom.. They were in the back with tears in thier eyes... So we do goof off some, during cruise, but on the east and west coasts, its pretty serious...

chief52
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Actually JFK jr made a critical decision that turned fatal. He decided to flying at night over water in very low visability. He was only a private pilot and was not instrument rated. Yes if he would of used or had an auto pilot on board with GPS coupling and ALT hold, he might of been safe, even though he wasnt instrument rated and in a bad situation for a pilot..

Being over water, at night is like flying into a black hole. You have zero visual reference to which way is up or down... Your body is fighting inertia and spinal disorientation. Basically he didnt know which way was up and without reading his gauges or knowing how to spot trends in the gauges, he flew himself into the water and never knew what hit him....

Sucks...thanks for the explanation. I can see how you could loose all frame of reference in the fog with no sky line.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:17 PM
More job security for rerun.

I see there is a job opening in the Denver area now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20081222/airport-accident/images/23fe01e6-cf27-4b8f-a7af-89136c867104.jpg

Yeah that is pretty scarey.... From what I have read so far, they lost the left engine and then lost directional control and went off the runway...

Luckly not many were hurt... I feel for those pilots, they are human's to and people give them bad raps at time, when they have so much responsibility.

2bikemike
12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, Operators are very valuable commodity. You could get a job anywhere. They just gave ours a pretty healthy raise...that is how important they are to our company. Damn important to my life as well.

Not sure if you "operate" the plant or the system. Obviously they are both integral parts of the flow of electricity.

I operate the plant. I thought about going into system operations but now a days there are so many NERC Hoops to jump through it doesn't seem worth it. Plus the operators here for some reason are throroughly opposed to the 12 hour shift schedule.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Sucks...thanks for the explanation. I can see how you could loose all frame of reference in the fog with no sky line.

When you get instrument rated, you learn how to trust what the gauges are telling you and not what your body is telling you, with no visual reference to a horizon, you body starts freaking out...

Its kind of a mind over matter thing. Your body feels like everything is fine and you could be in a 5 degree bank 300 ft per min dive and never know the difference. IF you werent paying attention, you would continue until you found the ground...

The laws of aviation are forgiving, the ground is not...

chief52
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I operate the plant. I thought about going into system operations but now a days there are so many NERC Hoops to jump through it doesn't seem worth it. Plus the operators here for some reason are throroughly opposed to the 12 hour shift schedule.

The system operators here on are the 12 hour shift. Sweet! If you have to work shift work why would you be opposed? They love it. Easy to save up vacation time. 3 days a week, 3 days a week, 4 days...

Like I said, if you have to work shift work why would you be against it? During storm time they can obviously come in and work the OT.

I love being a Electric Crew Foreman, but if I had to change system operator would be my first choice. I do know there is a lot of stress, though. I would have to learn to handle that. The lives of us linemen are literally in their hands at times. Their is a lot of responsibility.

KCChiefsMan
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
there is always action on the poker tables

Demonpenz
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
When you get instrument rated, you learn how to trust what the gauges are telling you and not what your body is telling you, with no visual reference to a horizon, you body starts freaking out...

Its kind of a mind over matter thing. Your body feels like everything is fine and you could be in a 5 degree bank 300 ft per min dive and never know the difference. IF you werent paying attention, you would continue until you found the ground...

The laws of aviation are forgiving, the ground is not...

I understand exactly what that is about. I was playing Janes Combat Sim awhile back We were under heavy fire I had been on a bombing raid and our flight over to bosnia was like 4 hours. I set my foxtrot wavenglenth and got caught up with a sam, through evasive manuvers I was able to avoid the Sam, but I had a bad case of vertigo. I didn't know what was up or down. It said I was upside down, but I couldn't really tell because it was dawn. I tapped my computer monotor where my f-16 gauge was to make sure it was right. I finally decided to trust that guage and got myself righted. We went on to defeat the Pirate pussies of panama online strikeforce team and came in third in PC Flight sim gamer challange of the month, but for awhile back all I could do was minimize my screen while on autopilot to look at my wall paper of Megan Fox and how I thought I was never going to wack off to her picture again.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
there is always action on the poker tables

There's is always action at your moms poker table... /Redrum

KCChiefsMan
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
There's is always action at your moms poker table... /Redrum

immediately after I posted that I knew you were coming for it

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I understand exactly what that is about. I was playing Janes Combat Sim awhile back We were under heavy fire I had been on a bombing raid and our flight over to bosnia was like 4 hours. I set my foxtrot wavenglenth and got caught up with a sam, through evasive manuvers I was able to avoid the Sam, but I had a bad case of vertigo. I didn't know what was up or down. It said I was upside down, but I couldn't really tell because it was dawn. I tapped my computer monotor where my f-16 gauge was to make sure it was right. I finally decided to trust that guage and got myself righted. We went on to defeat the Pirate pussies of panama online strikeforce team and came in third in PC Flight sim gamer challange of the month, but for awhile back all I could do was minimize my screen while on autopilot to look at my wall paper of Megan Fox and how I thought I was never going to wack off to her picture again.

ROFL

So is it possible to whack off to megan fox while suffering from vertigo upside down in a dog fight?

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
immediately after I posted that I knew you were coming for it

No offense taken I hope?

Demonpenz
12-22-2008, 09:34 PM
ROFL

So is it possible to whack of to megan fox while suffering from vertigo upside down in a dog fight?

I would say in an online fight it might be possible. If it was real you might have to have a seperate flight suit to inflate over your penis to keep the blood from running out.

I have 50 hours combat in 14 different aircraft in janes simulations with many medals of bravery and honor. I remember the last tough test I had came when we were flying f-14 (No phenox missles allowed) I saw the baddies 20 miles away, and all I hear is "It's Showtime" So I popped in Party to go mix volume 1 in my walkman hit the jets Doug Masters style. I got in the death spiral with a smaller and more aggile plane, something I hate doing but it all worked out because the other dude was running vista and his program crashed.

"jester has left the game"

Demonpenz "Whoo hoo Jesters dead!"

Dunit35
12-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I think my taco fast food restuarant job is safe. Too many lazy people in this world who would rather spend 20+ bills on food then cook.

But, hopefully I'll be a teacher in about two years and can start shaping young minds.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I would say in an online fight it might be possible. If it was real you might have to have a seperate flight suit to inflate over your penis to keep the blood from running out.

I have 50 hours combat in 14 different aircraft in janes simulations with many medals of bravery and honor. I remember the last tough test I had came when we were flying f-14 (No phenox missles allowed) I saw the baddies 20 miles away, and all I hear is "It's Showtime" So I popped in Party to go mix volume 1 in my walkman hit the jets Doug Masters style. I got in the death spiral with a smaller and more aggile plane, something I hate doing but it all worked out because the other dude was running vista and his program crashed.

Demonpenz "Whoo hoo Jesters dead!"

ROFL

I am speachless!

KcMizzou
12-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Demonpenz "Whoo hoo Jesters dead!"I remember that. It was badass.

The Rick
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm a government employee. Depression or no, people still have to pay their taxes, so I feel pretty secure.

Demonpenz
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I remember that. It was badass.

I will never forget this one time down at bartle hall they had a Flying Simulation showdown and we went in pairs of two. We drew a night flight against two of the same planes the first match. I had just gotten my new thrustmaster 16 point yoke stick so I was pretty confident. So I put on my helmet and mic fired up our first match. For those of you not aware you have to fly 30 minutes or so just to get to the battle grounds to fight, thus proving you can go through your take off arming your misstles briefing your wingman going over stradigy on the way over. So we are sitting there looking at our IF and our RF radars looking for baddies and what went on after that was the stuff of legends

Demonpenz1 : alright watch your 6 and keep looking at radar
KNOCKKNOCKWHO'S THERE: Shit I am getting lit up
Demonpenz1: WTF?!?!
KNOCKKNOCKWHO's THERE has been Downed by team Orange and blue

Demonpenz1: why am I getting lit up it's coming from the ground...and the air

Demonpenz1: has been downed by Duel Threat Tebow.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Duel Threat Tebow.

Is that like a triple threat thigpen?

JOhn
12-22-2008, 11:44 PM

:)

ROFL

Groves
12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I would say there's several ways to look at it for me.

I'm a missionary. There's no central funds for paying my salary. I raise the support to cover my salary and ministry expenses. I'm completely dependent upon my support team. Every month.

So, on the one hand, if the economy goes south, I certainly can't expect people to stay on my team giving money they don't have just to keep me on the field. In theory, I should see a drop during hard economic times, and have to seek people out to join my team.

On the other hand, I've really been blessed with a great team. They give sacrificially so I can do my job full time. I don't take them for granted. I'm amazed at their faithfulness.

The short answer is "I rely on God." It's just like all of us. We're all in his hands.

Of course, if you don't believe in God, you'll think quite differently.

jjchieffan
12-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Well, I think my job is more secure than Herm Edwards right now. I have only been with this company for about 6 months, but I have proved my worth to them in that time. Things get slow in this business in the winter. In fact, the project I am on is the only one providing steady work right now. There are only about 10 of us on this project, and I am the one people call when they need help. It also helps that my boss is also a close friend of mine. But even that would not save my job if it came down to it. he and I agree. Business is business, and friendship is friendship. If he has to fire me, it will not affect our friendship. And trust me, I know it to be true. I was his boss a few years ago. He could not ever be to work on time, and I fired him. It never phased our friendship. We were hanging out together that next weekend.

KC Jones
12-23-2008, 06:14 AM
I feel pretty secure.

As long as companies/banks/organizations need to out source record keeping services for retirement accounts we're pretty damn secure. Our holding company is flush with cash. Some of our competitors are in a bad spot and we will likely buy up their record keeping services. We tried to buy Citibank's record keeping business (citistreet), but God damn ING came riding in with way more cash than we were willing to pay.

So while senior management is looking hard at acquiring, I am currently wrapping up a project assessing our systems reliability with some deviation into scalability and performance issues. The result of that project is going to be some important work I will likely lead up to help us handle the new business and improve uptime.

It doesn't hurt that our management has done a good job of being cheap bastards, so we are always understaffed and run a pretty lean ship. God forbid someone comes up with a simplified flat tax or something and the need for 401ks and 403bs goes out the window.

kc rush
12-23-2008, 06:43 AM
I've already been laid off and found a new job this year. I'm pretty secure now, but you never know in the advertising business.

One thing that bodes well is that we re-landed one of our biggest clients (going through an official review) and have picked up some additional work as a result. I'm working on this account, so I am putting in a lot of billable hours.

kc rush
12-23-2008, 07:01 AM

I thought that you had to be instrument rated to get a pilots license. I was thinking about taking flying lessons a couple of years ago (when I had a little more disposable income) and I was communicating with a guy who had blogged his training experience (including instrument training). Maybe I assumed too much.

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I thought that you had to be instrument rated to get a pilots license. I was thinking about taking flying lessons a couple of years ago (when I had a little more disposable income) and I was communicating with a guy who had blogged his training experience (including instrument training). Maybe I assumed too much.

Actually you dont have to get an Inst rating to enjoy the love of the skies, You can just obtain a private pilot licenses. Its where we all started.

With a PP, you can fly anywhere in this country day or night as long as Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) prevail.. That means you cant fly through clouds, or low visability. Saying that, you can fly below, around or above clouds as long as you take off and land in conditions where you didnt have to cross through clouds to get to your destination...

Becoming a PP is pretty easy, You have around 40-50 hours of flying with an instructor (like me:D) a written test and a checkride with pilot examiner.

Then the skies are your playground. Hope that helps?

kindra68
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I’m the only female at a commercial roofing and sheet metal company.
I think my jobs secure, nobody else here makes coffee or answers phones.

kc rush
12-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Actually you dont have to get an Inst rating to enjoy the love of the skies, You can just obtain a private pilot licenses. Its where we all started.

With a PP, you can fly anywhere in this country day or night as long as Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) prevail.. That means you cant fly through clouds, or low visability. Saying that, you can fly below, around or above clouds as long as you take off and land in conditions where you didnt have to cross through clouds to get to your destination...

Becoming a PP is pretty easy, You have around 40-50 hours of flying with an instructor (like me:D) a written test and a checkride with pilot examiner.

Then the skies are your playground. Hope that helps?

Cool. Maybe I'll pursue it again one of these days.

bogey
12-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Iím the only female at a commercial roofing and sheet metal company.
I think my jobs secure, nobody else here makes coffee or answers phones.

Knowing your place can keep you employed.

Beerfund
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
im a firefighter so i feel safe cause people will continue to do stupid shit.

Donger
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
he flew himself into the water and never knew what hit him....

The yoke?

trndobrd
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I didn't see Iraq listed as one of the poll options.

Reaper16
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
My student job, writing tutor at Northwest's Writing Center, is completely safe. There are always college students who can't write, mainly because the state of high school English teaching is in a sorry place.

NewChief
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
My student job, writing tutor at Northwest's Writing Center, is completely safe. There are always college students who can't write, mainly because the state of high school English teaching is in a sorry place.

I resent that. :grr:

|Zach|
12-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Very secure unless I fire myself. Both pf my endeavours are fairly insulated from the economic downturn. At least if I stay creative with the way I market them.

The social media business consulting is actually more in need and in demand with this situation.

Hydrae
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, but the owners know us pretty well, they would just laugh at us or come up and smack us on the back of the head...

We were out in Tuscon a few weeks ago and we were drinking margaritas with them... After a great Filet Mignon supper of course. And they got on this kick about someone and a donkey, or wanting to go to Mexico to see a Donkey. Well it was all a blur, but it came to me that I have a donkey ring tone on my cell phone.

Well we were cruise home in the King Air the next day and I que'd it up and played it over the intercom.. They were in the back with tears in thier eyes... So we do goof off some, during cruise, but on the east and west coasts, its pretty serious...

Obviously not a true fan. :shake:

eazyb81
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Student right now, but I'm hoping the war ends soon so I can get a damn job by the time I graduate in May.

However, considering that all the finance firms I'm networking with have had headcount reductions the past few months and more may be on the way, the odds aren't looking fantastic.

My school's job board is thinner than Nicole Richie right now.

Iowanian
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
And That fast, it happens.

Today at noon, I was secure in the negotiations for 2 contracts, which cemented the first 3 months of the coming year for my company.

One phone call, even with a signed contract, and.....Blammo!

Shiestered. Inside job.....

As a small company, I don't market for more work than I can realistically accomplish. These things are setbacks because of the lack of marketing BECAUSE I counted on this work.

Guess I'll have to put my words to the test after Christmas, and figure something else out.

DaFace
12-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Today at noon, I was secure in the negotiations for 2 contracts, which cemented the first 3 months of the coming year for my company.

As a small company, I don't market for more work than I can realistically accomplish. These things are setbacks because of the lack of marketing BECAUSE I counted on this work.

Guess I'll have to put my words to the test after Christmas, and figure something else out.

Damn, that sucks. And there's nothing you can do about the signed contract?

Dick Bull
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I hate to break it to you, but you're in front of me on the layoff list.
Daface,

Sounds like you may get the gunther cunningham treatment. Maybe he'll make a poll out of it.

Fish
12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Damn, that sucks. And there's nothing you can do about the signed contract?

I'll bet he could pay a lawyer double the amount of the contract and get them to pay it.... :cuss:

bobbymitch
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Let's see -

Getting SS (yes an olde pharte) and getting a 5.8% raise in '09
Getting VA and it also goes up 5.8%
Getting retirement
Bosslady works 4 days a week
I "work" 1 week a month
Now if some one would buy my house, I'd be in hog heaven!

Sorry, young 'uns, I did my job struggles; now your turn. I do hope everything turns around as y'all need to keep paying into "the system" so I get paid.

Rain Man
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Generally those contracts include a "we can cancel this whenever we want" clause. Bummer for you that they invoked it, though.

I've got a contract for a client that didn't have that clause. They came back and canceled three-fourths of the work anyway. If I was a jerk, I could point at the contract and say, "Too bad, you already bought it," but as it stands I'll sigh and adjust the price down. It's tough to take booked work off of the books.

Iowanian
12-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Pearl Harbor'd! Never saw it coming.

SOB.

Yes....this indeed deficates on my winter solstice season.

I had a contract, work well with the people who want me....its outgoing management with connections, which aren't qualified to perform the service(not even remotely) who put the ungreased pork to me today.

Had a contract, had been asked to trim the service and did....exactly what I was told they wanted. They were getting a bargain rate anyway, because I wanted my foot in the door for the long term.

I'll smile, be professional and understanding, wish them luck and encourage them to call me in the future when something comes up.(or they want this done succesfully). It doesn't mean I won't burn some ants with a magnifying glass after I leave...dammit, ants are hybernating. Its puddles splashed on pedestrians!...no! dag nabbit.....frozen.

Things have a way of working out....maybe I'll find something better to replace it.

The work is probably replacable....but the lost marketing time, project preparation and information gathering and multiple trips across the state to prepare aren't.

Reaper16
12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
I resent that. :grr:
I hated typing it, but its true. I always got the sense that you are a fine teacher, and perhaps your whole department is too, but can you really disagree? At least in Missouri anyway, high school English is a train wreck.

Over-Head
12-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm self emp;loyed.
Can I fire m'self?:doh!:

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
The yoke?

Well maybe? Regardless it was lights out pretty quick...

Over-Head
12-23-2008, 08:29 PM

I cant wait!
Ok, I hate you now:D

Over-Head
12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
you learn how to trust what the gauges are telling you and not what your body is telling you, with no visual reference to a horizon, you body starts freaking out..... AMEN
Rule 101 of truck driving while backing a 53' trailer somewhere it was NEVER ment to go.
Forget what your body and mind says
TRUST your mirrors.

Over-Head
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Generally those contracts include a "we can cancel this whenever we want" clause. Bummer for you that they invoked it, though.

I've got a contract for a client that didn't have that clause. They came back and canceled three-fourths of the work anyway. If I was a jerk, I could point at the contract and say, "Too bad, you already bought it," but as it stands I'll sigh and adjust the price down. It's tough to take booked work off of the books.
Yeah it sucks.
Kinda like me spoending 1 hour driving to said home.
Spending up to 3 hours on site meisuring up a material/labour cost list
Presenting a quote only to
A) Never get a call back after sending half a day on a wild goose chase
B) Get a call back saying buddy so and so can do it this much cheaper

Reerun_KC
12-23-2008, 08:47 PM
AMEN
Rule 101 of truck driving while backing a 53' trailer somewhere it was NEVER ment to go.
Forget what your body and mind says
TRUST your mirrors.

But we dont have reverse.... :D

Ebolapox
12-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I remember that. It was badass.

why is it that every time I read a penz post that I picture master shake and hear master shake's voice?

Mosbonian
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
I won't be going anywhere unless I choose too. I work for a small company, we just did some layoffs a couple of months ago, but it came down to only two people in house. The other two laid off were contract, work from home guys. So we went from 71 employees to 67.

Of course I am being courted by a larger company that just laid off half of its staff. They want to pay me a lot more money, so it's proving to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be when the process began.

From one Credit Manager to another, look at the opportunities that both companies offer. If the large company just laid off half of it's staff there was probably a good reason.

If your small company is private and was "right-sizing" not "down-sizing", it may be one of the best protections against layoff.

I have worked in companies large and small, and there are days that I long for the office in the small company knowing that half the headaches would be gone. Remember....the larger the company the greater the headaches from whiney Salespersons and Team members whose only pleasure is making your life miserable.

mmaddog

Over-Head
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
But we dont have reverse.... :D
And CDL
NEVER stood for Combination Driver Lumper either

Cave Johnson
12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Was wacked back in July from my work comp defense firm. I can't blame it entirely on the economy, although we did lose 1 major client and were on the rocks with another at the time. The slowdown affects comp directly, as there are less jobs to generate injuries and those who have jobs are less likely to file (although employers are "prohibited" from retaliatory action). It wasn't a good fit, as I felt like I was working for the support staff and communication was poor (didn't receive an evaluation, explanation for my year-end raise, feedback from clients, etc).

So, am now doing some contracting (trials and appeals) for my dad's firm. The upside is that it does give me the freedom to travel (went camping in UT back in October and am planning on doing the same in CA next month).

KcMizzou
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
why is it that every time I read a penz post that I picture master shake and hear master shake's voice?Heh. Now that you mention it...

Mosbonian
12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Student right now, but I'm hoping the war ends soon so I can get a damn job by the time I graduate in May.

However, considering that all the finance firms I'm networking with have had headcount reductions the past few months and more may be on the way, the odds aren't looking fantastic.

My school's job board is thinner than Nicole Richie right now.

Are you getting your degree in Finance? Accounting or Financial Management the area that you are looking for?

Send me an IM...the company I work for has many openings all around the country....and Internships while you are going to school.

mmaddog

RJ
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah it sucks.
Kinda like me spoending 1 hour driving to said home.
Spending up to 3 hours on site meisuring up a material/labour cost list
Presenting a quote only to
A) Never get a call back after sending half a day on a wild goose chase
B) Get a call back saying buddy so and so can do it this much cheaper

I would very much like to have a $10 bill for every time I've gone through that.

LetsSignRussell
06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm fine

BigRichard
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm fine

They must not have given you back your thread starting ability huh?

Fat Elvis
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
It would be interesting to see if anyone's thought on thier job security changed over the last year and a half. The recession was longer and deeper than most people predicted.