PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Crow shall be remade...

Tribal Warfare
12-23-2008, 03:51 AM
Norrington flies with 'Crow' franchise (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117997365.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)
Filmmaker to write, direct reinvention of series
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of “The Crow,” based on the comic created by James O’Barr.

Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film.

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed screen transfer, in which rock musician Eric Draven is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance. Though the original became a gothic-style hit that grossed nearly $100 million worldwide, it is primarily remembered for a tragic accident in which star Brandon Lee was killed during filming.

For Norrington, “The Crow” deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with the Marvel Comics hero “Blade,” Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.” Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a film since.

Norrington said he felt demoralized by that experience, and the accomplished sculptor spent the next five years writing and working on his art. He made a deal to direct “Clash of the Titans” for Warner Bros., but left the project, he said, because he was “unable to excite Warner Bros. with my take, or influence the screenplay to any comfortable extent.” That pic goes into production early next year with Louis Leterrier at the helm.

Norrington resolved to focus on independent projects, and sparked to an approach on “The Crow” from Relativity production chief Tucker Tooley and Pressman. Norrington had a relationship with Pressman when they came close to making “Mutant Chronicles” several years ago. Both embraced Norrington’s vision of the antihero, which Norrington said will be different than the film Proyas made.

“Whereas Proyas’ original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style,” Norrington told Daily Variety.

Tribal Warfare
12-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Holy whore, hollywood is going to fuck up perfectly good cult classic

Guru
12-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Damnit!!! The Crow was perfect as it is. leave the damn thing alone.

Tribal Warfare
12-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Damnit!!! The Crow was perfect as it is. leave the damn thing alone.

That's not even the worst part, the rumors are Jason Stathom will play Eric Draven in this version

Guru
12-23-2008, 04:36 AM
That's not even the worst part, the rumors are Jason Stathom will play Eric Draven in this versionWHAT?:eek:ROFL

Jesus!!! That is the end of that franchise.

notorious
12-23-2008, 07:45 AM
They are remaking movies, they are remaking songs. About 1 our of 25 end up living up to the orignal's standards.

Is there any creativity in Hollywood anymore?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Deberg_1990
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Norrington made the first Blade movie and League of Extroidinary Gentlemen.

Blade was great. Pretty much was the first successful Marvel comic book flick.

League was ok, but lacked.

Frazod
12-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Ugh. The Crow is one of my favorite movies. Leave it alone. :grr:

oaklandhater
12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
They are remaking movies, they are remaking songs. About 1 our of 25 end up living up to the orignal's standards.

I can understand remakeing the classics I am legend, logans run, and the the fantastic voyage thoes movies are dated and are in desperate need of a remake,But the crow is not dated enough for a remake.

Gonzo
12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I can understand remakeing the classics I am legend, logans run, and the the fantastic voyage thoes movies are dated and are in desperate need of a remake,But the crow is not dated enough for a remake.

I did not know that I am Legend was a remake. I know it was similar to The Omega Man though, (horrible movie but one of my favs).

Are they going to remake Logans Run? I heard that project was scrapped.

I could'nt give two shits about Fantastic Voyage.

The Crow was a pretty good movie. This is no different then when they made those god-awful sequals. It will be ghey I'm sure.

Dallas Chief
12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Please say it isn't so! What a travesty...:shake:

Otter
12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh yeah, a remake of a good movie. How original.

Demonpenz
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
The crow on vhs is better than the crow on dvd.. I can't explain, it just ads to the creppyness is if it is on vhs

Pestilence
12-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Unless they can bring back Brandon Lee from the dead........then they shouldn't do this.

Otter
12-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Yes, The Cohen Brothers come to mind as well as a couple more. Problem it's easier to remake a movie then come up with something original. The bigger problem is a lot of people pay to see view this regurgitated crap.

Demonpenz
12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
hell even tropic thunder is 3 amigo's remade

Donger
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Huh. I always thought Brandon Lee died by goofing around with the gun. I had no idea that someone else shot him.

Pestilence
12-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Huh. I always thought Brandon Lee died by goofing around with the gun. I had no idea that someone else shot him.

Nope....he died because the gun they used for filming was supposed to have blanks in it. A prop guy goofed.....and he died.

EDIT:

On March 31, 1993, while making The Crow, the crew filmed a scene in which Lee's character walked into his apartment and discovered his girlfriend being raped by thugs. Actor Michael Massee, who played one of the film's villains (Fun-boy), was supposed to fire a gun at Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) as he walked into his apartment. The director and producers then replaced that scene with Tin-tin throwing the knife at Eric's chest as he entered the apartment.

Because the movie's second unit team was running behind schedule, it was decided that dummy cartridges (cartridges that outwardly appear to be functional but contain no gunpowder or primer) would be made from real cartridges by pulling out the bullet, dumping out the gunpowder and reinserting the bullet. However, the team neglected to consider that the primer was still live and, if fired, could still produce enough force to push the bullet off the end of the cartridge. At some point prior to the fatal scene, the live primer on one of the constructed dummy rounds was discharged by persons unknown while in the pistol's chamber. It caused a squib load, in which the primer provided just enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel of the revolver, where it became stuck.

The malfunction went unnoticed by the crew, and the same gun was used again later to shoot the death scene, having been re-loaded with low-power black powder blanks. However, the squib load was still lodged in the barrel, and was propelled by the blank cartridge's explosion out of the barrel and into Lee's body. Although the bullet was traveling much slower than a normally fired bullet would be, the bullet's large size and the point-blank firing distance made it powerful enough to fatally wound Lee.

When the blank was fired, the bullet shot out and hit Lee in the abdomen and lodged in his spine. He fell down instantly and the director shouted "Cut!." When Lee did not respond, the cast and crew rushed to him and found that he was wounded. He was immediately rushed to the hospital. Lee’s heart stopped once on the set and once in the ambulance. Following a six hour operation to remove the bullet, and despite being given 60 pints of blood, Lee was pronounced dead at 1:03 pm on March 31, 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

Frosty
12-23-2008, 10:26 AM

Logan's Run may be a little dated but I don't think it needs a remake. It's fine as it is and it would be tough to duplicate the cast.

That said - if they do remake it, I hope the stick closer to the book this time.

morphius
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I can't imagine how they could make it much better, it already fits the darkness trend people are trying to follow with the recent success of Batman. I guess we will need a super villain instead of just a villain.

beach tribe
12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
I love that song Deadsouls by NIN from the 1st crow movie. And the Cures song as well. Great soundtrack. Dumb Idea to remake it. There's no way they can top the original.

"Fire it up!Fire it up!Fire it up!Fire it up!"

Frazod
12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Logan's Run may be a little dated but I don't think it needs a remake. It's fine as it is and it would be tough to duplicate the cast.

That said - if they do remake it, I hope the stick closer to the book this time.

I read the book, and while I don't remember much about it (I read it when I was a kid) I do remember liking the movie more. IRRC, the book wasn't set in an enclosed city.

Frosty
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I read the book, and while I don't remember much about it (I read it when I was a kid) I do remember liking the movie more. IRRC, the book wasn't set in an enclosed city.

The book is on a grander scale (no domed city) and much darker and cynical.

The wiki has a good explanation of the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(1976_film)

oaklandhater
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM

agreed the book has more of a darker tone to it.

oaklandhater
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
I did not know that I am Legend was a remake. I know it was similar to The Omega Man though, (horrible movie but one of my favs).

Are they going to remake Logans Run? I heard that project was scrapped.

I could'nt give two shits about Fantastic Voyage.

The Crow was a pretty good movie. This is no different then when they made those god-awful sequals. It will be ghey I'm sure.

I am legend I guess is not techinally a remake but there were 2 movies prior to it based off the book

As for logans run Joseph Kosinski the current director for the movie has said that a new script was turned in and he hopes to start filming in 2011 Q1

Fantastic voyage was azsome before the stuido made them change the ending.

I can think of at least 10 70's sci fi movies that need a remake

Black hole
west world
Fantastic voyage
Soylent Green
The Last Chase

BCD
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Eh, I never like the original...

KcMizzou
12-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Terrible idea.

I loved the first one.

The soundtrack kicked ass too.

KcMizzou
12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
The crow on vhs is better than the crow on dvd.. I can't explain, it just ads to the creppyness is if it is on vhsWeird... but I think you're right.

Kinda like some music sounds better on vinyl, than a cd.

It adds to the ambiance somehow.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Paging Dane. Dane McCloud, please report to this thread.

KcMizzou
12-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I love that song Deadsouls by NIN from the 1st crow movie. And the Cures song as well. Great soundtrack. Dumb Idea to remake it. There's no way they can top the original.

"Fire it up!Fire it up!Fire it up!Fire it up!"Totally agree. The Cure song was called "Burn". Perfectly fit the scene it was used in.

DL it it, if you want a blast from the past. It's still in my rotation.

bango
12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
This is such total BS. The soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks that I have ever heard. Every song on it is great. The movie was and still is very good. It is up their with TDK, Ironman, Superman 2, and I am waiting for the Watchmen to come out to see if it is in my top five for Comic/Graphic Novel Movie list to be made along with The Crow. I am in the process of reading the Watchmen right now, but that is not the point. The series went downhill and fast after the first one, but was still worth watching. The soundtracks did also.

Guru
12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Terrible idea.

I loved the first one.

The soundtrack kicked ass too.I still need to buy it. heh

EDIT

Damn. Can't find a digital copy anywhere. Guess I will have to go find the CD at my local used shop

DJJasonp
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Unless they can bring back Brandon Lee from the dead........then they shouldn't do this.

Amen to this....there are several other Crow stories written by James O'Barr that could be used.

No need to go back to the original. There is only one Eric Draven...and he's dead in the film - and in real life.

Let it be.

Darth CarlSatan
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Shit, if you think this sucks donkey balls( which it most certainly does ), get ready for John Travolta as "Cyrus" in a west coast re-make of 'The Warriors'.

Puke bucket at the ready?
Check.