PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs When can the Chiefs interview Pioli?

chiefzilla1501
12-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Just curious... and I apologize if it's already been asked and answered...

But when can the Chiefs "legally" interview Pioli? I know for head coaches, teams aren't allowed to interview coaches until their team has been eliminated from the playoffs, but does the same apply to front office staff too?

DeezNutz
12-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I heard that Herm might be bumped up to GM so that he can continue to guide the entire process.

88TG88
12-24-2008, 12:14 AM
I heard that Herm might be bumped up to GM so that he can continue to guide the entire process.

And marty will coach right ?

DeezNutz
12-24-2008, 12:15 AM
And marty will coach right ?

We can only hope, assuming he can get both of his kids to coordinate the O and D.

Der Flöprer
12-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I came.

DeezNutz
12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
I came.

When you heard my Herm rumor? It's cool. My sources, a couple of squirrels that were in my backyard, are pretty confident.

Crush
12-24-2008, 12:41 AM
When can the Chiefs interview Pioli?

Survey says... not soon enough.

PastorMikH
12-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Bump for the day crew.

Are the rules for Front Office hires the same as coaches in that we have to wait until they are through with the season before we can pursue?

Bowser
12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Never. [/Amnorix]

The Bad Guy
12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
If the Patriots don't make the playoffs, he can be interviewed as soon as Monday.

Bowser
12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
If the Patriots don't make the playoffs, he can be interviewed as soon as Monday.

So the rule applies to front office personnel as well?

The Bad Guy
12-24-2008, 11:15 AM
So the rule applies to front office personnel as well?

The rule applies to everyone.

They don't want any distractions to playoff teams.

cdcox
12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
So we are rooting for:

1. A Patriot loss to Buffalo

-OR-

2. A Miami win over the Jets

L.A. Chieffan
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Don't bother killing yourself, I'm going to end my life.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
So we are rooting for:

1. A Patriot loss to Buffalo

-OR-

2. A Miami win over the Jets

I'm rooting for both.

But to answer the question more directly... after the Patriots are eliminated from the post-season (should they make it)... or any time with permission of the Patriots organization (I think).

cdcox
12-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm rooting for both.

But to answer the question more directly... after the Patriots are eliminated from the post-season (should they make it)... or any time with permission of the Patriots organization (I think).

Someone posted a piece yesterday that would seem to indicate that people high up in an organization that have hiring and firing capability can't be interviewed until their season is over, even with permission.

aturnis
12-24-2008, 12:12 PM
So if the Patriots miss the playoffs, do the Chiefs need permission to interview him?

chiefzilla1501
12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
The rule applies to everyone.

They don't want any distractions to playoff teams.

Then it looks like I have even more reason to root against the Pats, as if I didn't have enough reasons.

dirk digler
12-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Someone posted a piece yesterday that would seem to indicate that people high up in an organization that have hiring and firing capability can't be interviewed until their season is over, even with permission.

That was me. The article stated:

1. You have to get permission regardless if they are in the playoffs or not
2. If they are in the playoffs you can't ask for permission for high level execs that have FULL control over personnel
3. Teams can deny permission
4. If they give permission to one team all teams can interview that person

eazyb81
12-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Just so everyone knows, the Pats have to give us permission to interview Pioli since he is under contract.

The Colts owner has turned down three teams over the past few years from interviewing the younger Polian for GM.

I'm slowly moving off the Pioli bandwagon, as I expect the Pats will demand heavy draft pick compensation if he comes here.

RustShack
12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
So does the Hunts and Krafts being friends play in our favor for us getting permission to interview?

eazyb81
12-24-2008, 12:37 PM
So does the Hunts and Krafts being friends play in our favor for us getting permission to interview?

I doubt it helps if they feel Pioli is an integral part of their organization's success.

Mr. Laz
12-24-2008, 12:46 PM
i don't see how the pats and colts keep their guys if they continue to deny them a chance to advance.

you would think they would bolt as soon as their contract is up

the only thing i can think of is it's just an excuse

the lions want to talk to Polian/Pioli .... the organizations go to them and ask if they are interested in talking to Detroit and they say "no" so the organizations deny permission.

in that way it makes the organization the bad guy and Polian/Pioli don't have to turn them down and get a bad rep.

:shrug:

Brock
12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
As far as I know, Pioli is not the Patriots GM. The Patriots have granted permission to interview him for GM positions more than once, but he turned down the jobs that were offered.

Brock
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
the lions want to talk to Polian/Pioli .... the organizations go to them and ask if they are interested in talking to Detroit and they say "no" so the organizations deny permission.

in that way it makes the organization the bad guy and Polian/Pioli don't have to turn them down and get a bad rep.

This is probably true, at least for Polian. He doesn't want to leave the Colts organization, simple as that.

dirk digler
12-24-2008, 12:49 PM
i don't see how the pats and colts keep their guys if they continue to deny them a chance to advance.

you would think they would bolt as soon as their contract is up

the only thing i can think of is it's just an excuse

I agree Laz. It seems to me that if you keep denying without asking them you could have a pissed over person in your organization.

I think the scenario you laid out is correct.

dirk digler
12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
As far as I know, Pioli is not the Patriots GM. The Patriots have granted permission to interview him for GM positions more than once, but he turned down the jobs that were offered.

Pioli is VP - Player Personnel according to the Pats website and he has offers he stated in a press conference he didn't want to leave at that time.

Also from the Pats own website from earlier this year with Pioli in a press conference

Quote:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...d=30721&pcid=0 (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=30721&pcid=0)

on why he has not left New England despite numerous opportunities)
"This is a good situation. We're winning football. Because of what my title is, people have a perception. I know how things go inside. I'm happy with the situation (and) the way things are right now. We're up for our fourth Super Bowl (and) we've been here eight years. It's a pretty good situation."
(on temptations of leaving)
"They're been questions and temptations, (but) so far this is where that I wanted to be."

DaneMcCloud
12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm slowly moving off the Pioli bandwagon, as I expect the Pats will demand heavy draft pick compensation if he comes here.

Draft picks for coaches or front office people is no longer allowed.

Brock
12-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Pioli is VP - Player Personnel according to the Pats website and he has offers he stated in a press conference he didn't want to leave at that time.

Also from the Pats own website from earlier this year with Pioli in a press conference

Quote:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...d=30721&pcid=0 (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=30721&pcid=0)

"This is a good situation. We're winning football. Because of what my title is, people have a perception. I know how things go inside. I'm happy with the situation (and) the way things are right now. We're up for our fourth Super Bowl (and) we've been here eight years. It's a pretty good situation."
"They're been questions and temptations, (but) so far this is where that I wanted to be."

He turned down a blank check from Paul Allen. I think it's probably best to move on to the more realistic candidates.

dirk digler
12-24-2008, 12:58 PM
He turned down a blank check from Paul Allen. I think it's probably best to move on to the more realistic candidates.

He may feel the itch to get out on his own this time. You never do know and sure won't hurt to ask at least.

NCarlsCorner2
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Didnt he have laser eye surgery, maybe Clark will consider that as a fresh set of eyes.

chiefzilla1501
12-24-2008, 01:52 PM
We'll see. It's hard to trust what anybody says in public when they know they're trying to save face. I'm sure that's a polite way of saying "there was no team that could give me the situation I'm looking for." That has some to do with money, but I think it has a lot more to do with power/influence/situation. I doubt he wants to go to a franchise with a long history of dysfunctionality like Detroit, and I'm sure he wouldn't want to go to a place where the owner is always breathing down your neck like Oakland.

The homer in me feels like KC is the ideal landing spot for any young GM. You get power, influence, full control, AND an owner that's willing to be patient with the team. And you get to do it in a place where football is king.

Quote:

milkman
12-25-2008, 09:26 PM

He may be ready to move on.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/WWHI/2008/wwhi122408.htm

Take it for what it's worth.

Wilson8
12-25-2008, 10:12 PM

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/WWHI/2008/wwhi122408.htm

From that story - "If Pioli does scratch his itch, he won’t have to look far to find two of the men with which he’ll build his franchise around. In Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and QB Matt Cassel — set to be a free agent after the season — two of the league’s most promising young figures in their respective posts are already under Pioli’s watch. Both are said to have a strong relationship with him. What would amount to a de facto package deal for the three men easily could come to fruition if a franchise is open to staffing the trio."

Pioli, McDaniels, and Cassel...would be interesting.

The Bad Guy
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I really might be starting to warm up to the Cassel idea if Pioli and McDaniels come with him.

chop
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/images/icons/nfl.gif [NFL] NFL Changes Rules For Interviewing Coaches/Executives
<hr style="color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" size="1"> The NFL passed a proposal on Tuesday which will allow teams to interview candidates under contract with playoff teams after the regular season ends, provided that the individual doesn't have full control over personnel decisions with his team and the individual's current employer grants them permission to be interviewed by another team (and thereby granting all 30 other teams in the league that same permission). Previously, teams have been required to wait to interview members of other teams after they had been eliminated from the playoffs.

Boris The Great
12-25-2008, 11:27 PM
i dont see how the pats and colts keep their guys if they continue to deny them a chance to advance.

The Colts have never refused to let Chris Polian interview for a GM job.

The Pats have never refused to let Scott Pioli interview for a GM job.

Why havent they refused? Because they cant. Neither man is a GM with final say over a team. No matter how long their current contract is, if they are offered a job with another team that gives them more power than they currently have, they can leave to take it.

I have no idea why people continue to say otherwise. It is black and white and happens in the league every year.

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I would stay a long long long way from Piolli. I would look at DeCosta or Ross.

KChiefs1
12-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Word we’re hearing out of Foxborough is that V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli could be nearing the end of his distinguished tenure atop the Patriots’ personnel department. In his nine seasons with the club, New England has enjoyed staggering success in an era ruled by parity, winning the AFC East six times and bagging a trio of Super Bowl titles. So why would the 43-year-old Pioli, revered as one of the top personnel chiefs in the NFL in a seemingly ideal position, want to leave? For one thing, Pioli has failed to earn the respect he deserves for helping to build the Patriots into the NFL’s most consistent winner, and those close to the team say he’s finally ripe for departure.

Really? I think he maybe getting too much respect.

Factoring into his thinking is the fact that Pioli's understudy Thomas Dimitroff has had such tremendous success in his first season in Atlanta that it has made the prospects of calling his own shots more attractive than ever. Should Pioli decide to leave, there should be a host of clubs willing to obtain his services in a general managerial or presidential capacity. The Chiefs have an opening for the top position following the resignation of Carl Peterson, and Kansas City could offer the type of all-encompassing powers that he likely would require to leave Foxborough. On the other hand, Detroit may be a tougher sell given the possibility that the Lions will be reluctant to give so much power to one man.

I believe Clark Hunt would hand him the keys without question.

If Pioli does scratch his itch, he won’t have to look far to find two of the men with which he’ll build his franchise around. In Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and QB Matt Cassel — set to be a free agent after the season — two of the league’s most promising young figures in their respective posts are already under Pioli’s watch. Both are said to have a strong relationship with him. What would amount to a de facto package deal for the three men easily could come to fruition if a franchise is open to staffing the trio.

At least we wouldn't have to hear about drafting a "Franchise QB" fow awhile...how old is Cassel?

Wilson8
12-26-2008, 01:22 AM
26 years old.

Brock
12-26-2008, 09:41 AM
From that story - "If Pioli does scratch his itch, he won’t have to look far to find two of the men with which he’ll build his franchise around. In Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and QB Matt Cassel — set to be a free agent after the season — two of the league’s most promising young figures in their respective posts are already under Pioli’s watch. Both are said to have a strong relationship with him. What would amount to a de facto package deal for the three men easily could come to fruition if a franchise is open to staffing the trio."

I would probably be pretty happy with that.

FringeNC
12-26-2008, 10:10 AM
The Colts have never refused to let Chris Polian interview for a GM job.

The Pats have never refused to let Scott Pioli interview for a GM job.

Why havent they refused? Because they cant. Neither man is a GM with final say over a team. No matter how long their current contract is, if they are offered a job with another team that gives them more power than they currently have, they can leave to take it.

I have no idea why people continue to say otherwise. It is black and white and happens in the league every year.

This is correct.

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 10:17 AM
NEW CLARK HUNT INTERVIEW GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW ON 810!

References Miami as an ideal example of the rebuild process.

Says Free Agents will be a part of the roster for 2009.

RedThat
12-26-2008, 10:28 AM
This may sound like a stupid question,

if the Chiefs got Pioli, and McDaniels came with him, would he be the new OC or the new HC?

BigChiefFan
12-26-2008, 10:33 AM
This may sound like a stupid question,

if the Chiefs got Pioli, and McDaniels came with him, would he be the new OC or the new HC?
Head Coach-he's already the OC in New England-the only way he can make a move is if he goes up on the coaching ladder.

Brock
12-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Says Free Agents will be a part of the roster for 2009.[/SIZE]

Free agents are part of the roster every year.

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Free agents are part of the roster every year.

You know what I'm getting at, coy boy...

Brock
12-26-2008, 10:43 AM
You know what I'm getting at, coy boy...

No, not really.

The Bad Guy
12-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Grunhard is absolutely 100% horrible on the radio. What a fucking moron.

The Bad Guy
12-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Grunhard is saying let's see if Herm can get to 8-8 next year. If he can, give him an extension.

Can we get rid of all the fucking loser broadcasters associated with this past organizaiton as well?

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 10:52 AM
No, not really.

Jesus fuckin' a Christ: Free Agency will be given a greater priority THIS year, in terms of building the team, than it was given LAST year.

Oi...

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Grunhard is saying let's see if Herm can get to 8-8 next year. If he can, give him an extension.

Can we get rid of all the fucking loser broadcasters associated with this past organizaiton as well?

I was wrong; it's an old show on 810. Grunny likes to kiss some Carl and Herm ass for sure.

Brock
12-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Jesus ****in' a Christ: Free Agency will be given a greater priority THIS year, in terms of building the team, than it was given LAST year.

Oi...

Which of these things did he say?

whoman69
12-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Of course he's going to source Miami, it was succesful in the first year. He's not going to say its going to take five years to dig out of this.

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Which of these things did he say?

?!?!?!?!?!?

Rephrase please.

Brock
12-26-2008, 11:10 AM
?!?!?!?!?!?

Rephrase please.

First you said he said that "free agents will be part of the roster in 2009", and then you said he said "free Agency will be given a greater priority this year, in terms of building the team, than it was given last year". So which distinctly different thing did he actually say?

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
First you said he said that "free agents will be part of the roster in 2009", and then you said he said "free Agency will be given a greater priority this year, in terms of building the team, than it was given last year". So which distinctly different thing did he actually say?

Ahh, okay.

Second statement. Absolutely.

KChiefs1
12-26-2008, 11:39 AM

So the Miami way is better than the Atlanta way?

Miami:
New GM
New HC
Sign FA QB
Install new offense

Atlanta:
New GM
New HC
Draft Franchise QB

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 11:42 AM
So the Miami way is better than the Atlanta way?

Miami:
New GM
New HC
Sign FA QB
Install new offense

Atlanta:
New GM
New HC
Draft Franchise QB

Dude, ask Clark Hunt. How the fuck am I supposed to answer that?

Manila-Chief
12-26-2008, 04:20 PM

I fully agree. That would help our draft problems ... it seems to me that there are lots of questions about all the QB's in (or considering entering) the draft ... thus, an excellent talent evaluator like Pioli would be free to make a wise choice. Also, I like the idea of getting a fresh young coach. It would, also, allow Pioli & McDaniels to work well together, but with Pioli in the "higher" position.

It's too much to hope for but I can dream!!!! Is it too late for Santa???

Manila-Chief
12-26-2008, 04:21 PM
So, was Clark on 810 today or was it a replay. Couldn't tell by the post???

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I fully agree. That would help our draft problems ... it seems to me that there are lots of questions about all the QB's in (or considering entering) the draft ... thus, an excellent talent evaluator like Pioli would be free to make a wise choice. Also, I like the idea of getting a fresh young coach. It would, also, allow Pioli & McDaniels to work well together, but with Pioli in the "higher" position.

It's too much to hope for but I can dream!!!! Is it too late for Santa???

Here come the hounds! :popcorn:

Darth CarlSatan
12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
So, was Clark on 810 today or was it a replay. Couldn't tell by the post???

Replay.

blueballs
12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Browns' decisions could take time
John Clayton
Friday, December 26, 2008 | Print Entry

Browns owner Randy Lerner hasn't notified anyone of his timetable for deciding the fates of coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Phil Savage. Announcements may not come until the middle of next week, rather than a quick decision Monday. While an effort to get Bill Cowher is expected to be rejected, a source indicated Patriots general manager Scott Pioli will be under serious consideration. Crennel and Savage are under contract but their futures are foggy because the team went from 10 wins to four. Pioli figures to be a player in Cleveland if it tries to replace Savage. He's also a candidate in Kansas City. The Lions aren't going to open a front-office job powerful enough to lure Pioli now that they have decided to retain Martin Mayhew.

Asomugha on move? It was interesting to hear that Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha completely cleared out his locker after the team's final regular-season practice. Asomugha, as a franchise player, is a free agent unless the Raiders franchise him again. Asomugha is hoping to be a free agent in order to leave. He hired Tom Condon to be his new agent. Asomugha might miss the Raiders' finale against the Bucs because of a stiff neck. Interim coach Tom Cable is hopeful he will play and said he was optimistic after practice. Still, Asomugha is questionable -- both for this game and next season. Meanwhile, the Raiders placed linebacker Ricky Brown on injured reserve and signed wide receiver Marcel Reece off their practice squad.

49ers like Mike: Don't be surprised if the 49ers get a contract negotiated and turn Mike Singletary into their full-time coach as early as Sunday night. The 49ers have liked what Singletary has done as an interim coach, posting a 4-4 record. He's presented a good plan on how he wants to turn the team around. Singletary's interim tag might not be around long.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.

milkman
12-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I really might be starting to warm up to the Cassel idea if Pioli and McDaniels come with him.

If you Cassell, you better hope they brings Moss and Welker with him.

Cassell is the next Scott Mitchell waiting to happen, IMO.

milkman
12-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I would stay a long long long way from Piolli. I would look at DeCosta or Ross.

This.

I am really hoping that Hunt looks hard at DeCosta.

Manila-Chief
12-27-2008, 12:33 PM

I have questions about him as well ... he very well could be only good in managing “N.E.'s game.” My comment is based upon Pioli being wise and only bringing him if he is a better option than what is available to us in the draft ... plus having McDaniels as coach and knowing how to manage him.

I’m not sold on either of the top 2 QB’s possible in the draft … but, a disclaimer … I thought Matt Ryan was a possible bust from his back ground, and I thought Flacco would take years to develop, so, I’m a great QB evaluator. :(

Manila-Chief
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
This.

I am really hoping that Hunt looks hard at DeCosta.

I'm not pinning all my hopes on Pioli. There seems to be 4 or 5 excellent choices out there. For the first time in a long time, I'm willing to allow Clark to select ... that's based upon the preception of him wanting to win. He will be the one doing the interviews and should make a wise decision. Now, it would have been a totally different story if he had fullfilled his promise to have Carl help him make the decision. Until he proves otherwise, I'll trust Clark ... but, not Carl.

RedThat
12-27-2008, 01:04 PM

Man come on now? we got D-Bowe and Tony G, they ain't Moss and Welker, but they're good weapons for a QB like Cassel.

Bowser
12-27-2008, 01:34 PM

Indeed. I think Cassell has talent, but Randy Moss has a way of making QB's look awfully good (SEE: Daunte Culpepper), not to mention the back to back 100+catch seasons Welker has put up. I'll pass.

ChiefsCountry
12-27-2008, 03:55 PM
You wont win a Super Bowl with Cassell or Thigpen so I dont know why we would waste our time with either.

Skip Towne
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I have questions about him as well ... he very well could be only good in managing “N.E.'s game.” My comment is based upon Pioli being wise and only bringing him if he is a better option than what is available to us in the draft ... plus having McDaniels as coach and knowing how to manage him.

I’m not sold on either of the top 2 QB’s possible in the draft … but, a disclaimer … I thought Matt Ryan was a possible bust from his back ground, and I thought Flacco would take years to develop, so, I’m a great QB evaluator. :(

We can't all be Mecca.

Manila-Chief
12-27-2008, 04:14 PM
We can't all be Mecca.

Thanks!!! My what a relief that is! :clap::clap::clap: