PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Christmas Reflection from KCJohnny

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 06:08 AM
I was 10 years old on Christmas Day 1971. I was transfixed as two of the brand new AFC’s powerhouses were dueling in the playoffs in what would turn out to be the longest game in NFL history. The two 10-3-1 teams were deadlocked at 24 and heading into a 2<SUP>nd</SUP> sudden death overtime. The Chiefs won the toss and Ed Podalak returned the kickoff more than 70 yards deep into Dolphin territory. Future HoF kicker Jan Stenerud mysteriously miffed a medium range FG and the Dolphins drove down the other way for a game-winning Garo Yepremium FG.

Hot tears streamed down my face as I stared at the little black & white TV in stunned disbelief. How could the Chiefs have lost? It would be a feeling that would return more than once.

As a young man I drifted away from many of the things I loved as a boy, and Chiefs football was one of them. For some reason I got very interested again during the 1990 season. These Chiefs were fun to watch! The defense was especially entertaining with some of the league’s top DBs shutting down WRs and Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas disrupting opposing backfields.

There were 3 playoff games and one regular season finale that brought back the bewildered emotions of that little 10 year old boy.

The first was the 1995 AFC Divisional Playoff game against Indy. Lin Elliot missed 3 FGs in that game as the Colts beat the Chiefs in a frozen Arrowhead stadium 10-7. I remember walking out into the frigid night air and staring at the Christmas lights decorating the neighborhood apartments and wondering how a mere sports contest could make me feel so lost, so empty, so sad.

The second was the 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff vs the eventual Super Bowl champion Broncos. Tony Gonzalez was pushed out of the back of the end zone while making a grab for (an apparent) TD. There was no replay review in those years. Then with the score 14-10 Pete Stoyonavich kicked a 34 yard FG to close the gap to 14-13 – but wait! Holding? Holding on a FG attempt? Announcer Paul McGuire spoke for Chiefs fans around the world when he frantically questioned the call. “Holding?” he shouted in his microphone, “What holding? There was no hold on the play!” The Chiefs backed up 10 yards and missed. Elvis Grbac’s helmet microphone malfunctioned on the final drive and he couldn’t hear O-Coord Paul Hackett’s plays being sent in. The Chiefs ended the game on the Denver 28 with an incomplete pass. Had the phantom holding call not taken those 3 points off the scoreboard, Stoyo would have had a shot at the game winner. Again I walked outside as that sickening feeling returned. Why????

2 January, 2000. I followed the game on the internet in my office 15 miles from the Military Demarcation Line dividing North and South Korea. The game was very personal to me as HC Gunther Cunningham had sent me a “CARE package” with a team poster, media guide, letter from Gun and an autographed Chiefs ball cap. The coolest thing was the Christmas card. Gunther Cunningham grew up in an Army family, his father a career American Soldier like myself. I was genuinely touched. I got up at 0400 hours to log on and follow the game online. The Chiefs jumped out to a 17 point lead and a win would give them the AFC West title. Rich Gannon led the Raiders to a dramatic comeback and the game was knotted up 38-38 when K Pete Stoyanovich, whose 44-yarder beat the Raiders back in Week 12, missed a game-winning attempt and the game went into overtime. Oakland marched down the field after a botched Jon Baker bare-footed kickoff gave Oakland the ball on their 40 (what is it with the Chiefs and kickers????). Raider kicker Joe Nedney spoiled the Kansas City hopes for a playoff berth with his game winning FG. I stared at my computer monitor in familiar shock and disbelief. Did that really just happen? The emotional surge of dark disappointment seemed overwhelming.

Fast forward to Baghdad, January 2004. While deployed in counterinsurgency operations in Operation Iraqi Freedom, football seemed like an extravagant, nearly meaningless interest. And yet the game was piped into our Forward Operating Base as the Chiefs and Colts fired up each other’s defenses in a shootout at Arrowhead and I had to watch. One stop! Force one punt and we go to the AFC Title game! I stared again in disbelief as Tony Gonzalez was called for offensive pass interference on a TD that resulted in a missed Morten Andersen FG. Instead, the Chiefs lost as Indy ate up the final 4:16 as the Chiefs squandered a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> 13-3 season with homefield advantage… and that awful feeling visited me again, in war-torn Baghdad.

Its almost like it’s become emotionally safer to watch a bad Chiefs team than a competitive one. Almost.

Christmas is an emotional time for me for some very personal reasons. It is for many people that experienced childhood trauma or some other emotional imprinting at the time of year when all should be ‘merry and bright.’ Following the Chiefs all these years has been a roller coaster ride. And losing all those big games in such close fashion always brought me back to that Christmas Day in 1971.

Like every Chiefs fan, the little boy in me that ran around on the sandlots pretending to be Len Dawson or Willie Lanier still believes that a Chiefs Super Bowl will erase it all, redeem the past, and cure for all time that awful feeling of shock, disbelief and aching disillusionment. Perhaps we will see a Lombardi Trophy underneath the tree in a (hopefully near) Christmas yet to come. That’s what little boys dream of isn’t it?

Merry Christmas,
KCJohnny
:arrow:

http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/momentsintime/items/335457/catphoto.jpg
<O:p></O:p>

InChiefsHell
12-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Good read dude. You should submit that to somewhere, it's printable.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks, ICH, I appreciate that. From your username, I am guessing you feel my pain! :)
Merry Christmas,
KCJ

Ebolapox
12-24-2008, 06:43 AM
the 95 playoff loss to the colts was the first time I wept at a chiefs' loss. I was at the 2000 loss to the raiders in the last game of the year. it was especially painful--the drive home from KC was the longest drive ever.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
the 95 playoff loss to the colts was the first time I wept at a chiefs' loss. I was at the 2000 loss to the raiders in the last game of the year. it was especially painful--the drive home from KC was the longest drive ever.

That 2000 loss was particularly painful for me, too, H5N1. :banghead:

crazycoffey
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Very good read, nice share and thanks, alot!!!
Oh, and might I say - Stop deploying, retire or at least don't go overseas anymore......

old_geezer
12-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Being an Old geezer :D my most painful memory was watching my beloved Chiefs get mugged by the Packers in Super Bowl 1. Of course my favorite memory is watching the incomparable Otis Taylor dance down the sideline to put the exclamation point on the Chief's only Super Bowl win.

Of to work now - Merry Christmas to all (and to all a good night). :)

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Very good read, nice share and thanks, alot!!!
Oh, and might I say - Stop deploying, retire or at least don't go overseas anymore......

LOL, I hope my deployments aren't part of this awful kickers-cost-us-the-season curse...

Merry Christmas!

crazycoffey
12-24-2008, 07:17 AM
LOL, I hope my deployments aren't part of this awful kickers-cost-us-the-season curse...

Merry Christmas!

We'll know for sure someday, within the next 15 years....

InChiefsHell
12-24-2008, 07:25 AM

Merry Christmas!

Hmmm. Interesting. This whole time it's been Dammit Carl!:cuss: but perhaps it should have been Dammit KCJ!:cuss:

...food for thought...

...hehehehe. Thanks for the service, it's at least a little more important than the Chiefs...

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Hmmm. Interesting. This whole time it's been Dammit Carl!:cuss: but perhaps it should have been Dammit KCJ!:cuss:

...food for thought...

...hehehehe. Thanks for the service, it's at least a little more important than the Chiefs...

Well, there are multiple causes for all the near misses, but the common denominator in all the heartbreak is KICKERS!!!!!!!

gblowfish
12-24-2008, 07:32 AM
It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to be a Chiefs Fan.
That's why we're called "Long Suffering Chiefs Fans."

Nice story, Merry Christmas to All The CPers!

El Jefe
12-24-2008, 07:33 AM
That was a good read. I think one of the hardest games for me to watch was the 04 Colts vs Chiefs game. I also went to watch the game against the Browns when we got beat in OT by an unknown Derek Anderson, it was an amazing game, but a long 3 hour ride back home.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:36 AM
That was a good read. I think one of the hardest games for me to watch was the 04 Colts vs Chiefs game. I also went to watch the game against the Browns when we got beat in OT by an unknown Derek Anderson, it was an amazing game, but a long 3 hour ride back home.

Those are painful experiences that endure long after the games themselves. I remember that game. I couldn't believe what was happening.

LOL, Chiefs football is a trauma laden event. Buyers beware!

El Jefe
12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Those are painful experiences that endure long after the games themselves. I remember that game. I couldn't believe what was happening.

LOL, Chiefs football is a trauma laden event. Buyers beware!

Yeah it always makes me laugh, because at one point, I said to myself "this can't be happening". It's a line I have said to myself way to many times to remember.

Chief Henry
12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
KCJ, You bring back some dreadful memories...

I was 8 years old when that great Iowa Hawkeye from Atlantic, Iowa had the game of his career vs the Dolphins. This will sound very corny but the thin I remember about that game is that I was under the kitchen table playing with a little green truck that I had gotten for Christmas. My dad was watching the game and his stoggie was about mashed up in his mouth :)

Skip forward to the 1997 playoff game vs Dungver. I was in attendance. My seats were
clear up in the SW corner. If i recall only f our seats were behind us. You mention'd how Tony G was pushed out. In that same endzone Denver was punting at one point
out of that endzone and one of our guys was taken down before he could block the punt. That should have been a HOLD on Denver and 2 points for the Chiefs. We should have gottne the ball back in great field position.

That phantom hold on the FG was just BS, as was the refs allowing the Donks lineman go back to the sideline to wipe off they're jerseys from that shit they had purposley put on the jerseys.

Wasn't Rich Gannon suppose to start that game ???

Adept Havelock
12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Good read, KCJ. :thumb:

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 09:25 AM
1995 was the the worse I took a playoff loss.. It was devastating for months on end...

That was the game Marty died to me...

InChiefsHell
12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
I still get a twitch in my neck when I think of the 1995 game and...you know who. He's like our Voldemort, he is the name that cannot be mentioned...

mikeyis4dcats.
12-24-2008, 09:31 AM
nice read KCJ

Lzen
12-24-2008, 09:39 AM
KCJ, You bring back some dreadful memories...

I was 8 years old when that great Iowa Hawkeye from Atlantic, Iowa had the game of his career vs the Dolphins. This will sound very corny but the thin I remember about that game is that I was under the kitchen table playing with a little green truck that I had gotten for Christmas. My dad was watching the game and his stoggie was about mashed up in his mouth :)

Skip forward to the 1997 playoff game vs Dungver. I was in attendance. My seats were
clear up in the SW corner. If i recall only f our seats were behind us. You mention'd how Tony G was pushed out. In that same endzone Denver was punting at one point
out of that endzone and one of our guys was taken down before he could block the punt. That should have been a HOLD on Denver and 2 points for the Chiefs. We should have gottne the ball back in great field position.

That phantom hold on the FG was just BS, as was the refs allowing the Donks lineman go back to the sideline to wipe off they're jerseys from that shit they had purposley put on the jerseys.

Wasn't Rich Gannon suppose to start that game ???

I still wonder if that game was bought off for Denver. There was a lot of questionable officiating in that one. :mad:

Frazod
12-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I still wonder if that game was bought off for Denver. There was a lot of questionable officiating in that one. :mad:

I don't wonder at all.

Reerun_KC
12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't wonder at all.

It was the most blantant obvious cheating I have ever seen in the NFL and nothing, absolutely nothing was done about it, Not to mention the phantom holding call and the TD by TG that was ruled INC...

The NFL needed Elway to win a Championship, it was bought and paid for...

Spott
12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
The second was the 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff vs the eventual Super Bowl champion Broncos. Tony Gonzalez was pushed out of the back of the end zone while making a grab for (an apparent) TD. There was no replay review in those years. Then with the score 14-10 Pete Stoyonavich kicked a 34 yard FG to close the gap to 14-13 – but wait! Holding? Holding on a FG attempt? Announcer Paul McGuire spoke for Chiefs fans around the world when he frantically questioned the call. “Holding?” he shouted in his microphone, “What holding? There was no hold on the play!” The Chiefs backed up 10 yards and missed. Elvis Grbac’s helmet microphone malfunctioned on the final drive and he couldn’t hear O-Coord Paul Hackett’s plays being sent in. The Chiefs ended the game on the Denver 28 with an incomplete pass. Had the phantom holding call not taken those 3 points off the scoreboard, Stoyo would have had a shot at the game winner. Again I walked outside as that sickening feeling returned. Why????

That FG that was called back because of the phantom holding call on Manusky came in the 1st quarter and would have put the Chiefs up 3-0. In the 4th quarter, we were down 14-10 and Marty called for a fake FG on an attempt from about 38 yards out. Louie Aguiar was tackled well short of the 1st down marker. That was the first fake FG attempted by KC since the 85 season(that one didn't work either).

Warrior5
12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Well-written KCJ, and I share each painful memory. I was also 10 years old watching the longest game in NFL history against the Dolfins.

However, in your recollection of the '97 playoff game against the stinkin, cheatin Donks, you failed to mention the Pam cooking spray the Donks liberally applied to their jerseys, and the fact that the refs merely made them change jerseys before resuming play.

That incident, more than any other of the littany of pervasive cheating, lowlife, unsportsmanlike Donkey conduct, forever cemented Denver as the epitome of cheating douchebaggery in my eyes, and is the primary reason I despise that organization with every fiber of my being.

Merry Christmas!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Merry Christmas soldier. God bless you all.

Detoxing
12-24-2008, 12:26 PM
The most horrific game for me was what is now known as, "The Monday Night Meltdown"

I was just a kid, and it was the first time a game brought a tear to my eye.

Fuck that. I cried.

Dartgod
12-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Good read.

I'll add one more heart breaker to your list. The 1990 Wild Card game against the Dolphins that we lost on a phantom holding call on Dave Szott when Lowery had kicked the apparent game-winning field goal. He missed from 52 yards after the penalty was assessed.

InChiefsHell
12-24-2008, 12:55 PM
The most horrific game for me was what is now known as, "The Monday Night Meltdown"

I was just a kid, and it was the first time a game brought a tear to my eye.

**** that. I cried.

That's the one where DT got ejected right?

penchief
12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
KCJohnny, This is actually something we have in common. I was 10 years old at the time and was at my Grandmother's watching the game with three of my uncles. They were all rooting for Miami so I decided to root for the Chiefs. Not only did I become a football fan that day but I became a lifelong die-hard chief fan. Also, watching Ed Podolak inspired me to become a running back myself. And I was a pretty darn good one, too.

Dartgod
12-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Also, watching Ed Podolak inspired me to become a running back myself. And I was a pretty darn good one, too.
OJ?

DeezNutz
12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
OJ?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee271/caldwelljones/AlBundy33.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
That FG that was called back because of the phantom holding call on Manusky came in the 1st quarter and would have put the Chiefs up 3-0. In the 4th quarter, we were down 14-10 and Marty called for a fake FG on an attempt from about 38 yards out. Louie Aguiar was tackled well short of the 1st down marker. That was the first fake FG attempted by KC since the 85 season(that one didn't work either).

The thing that has always stuck out to me about that game was how Keith Traylor abused Grunhard.

Iowanian
12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Is this the coal for my stocking?

My bad girlfriend has definitely given me more than enough reasons to stop caring.

I'm hoping that her stepfather of 20 years will stop abusing her, and my Chiefs will someone stop acting like an impure woman and love me back.

WilliamTheIrish
12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Joe Horn: 1 catch 50 yards. And he didn't get another look all game.

Cornstock
12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
For me, being a young whipper-snapper and not remembering the 90's particularly well, the toughest loss was the 04 colts game. Twas first and only playoff game ive ever been to. I felt horrible for days afterwards and I didnt watch the rest of the playoffs, and only reluctanly watched the superbowl.

The playoff loss at Indy two years later was not nearly as harsh because I fully didnt expect the Chiefs to win the game. It felt like they had no momentum going into the playoffs and they were simply outmatched in all facets.

But that was a really good read KCJ. really good stuff.

Taco John
12-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Ahhhh. Thanks for the happy memory. It's like hot chocolate on a fridgid day after the loss this past week.

JuicesFlowing
12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Good read KCJohnny. I still root against Indy because of that gut wrenching loss in '04.

KCBOSS1
12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Great read

redsurfer11
12-24-2008, 04:54 PM
KCJ, I still have that issue of Pro Quaterback.I still have the old issues of Football Digest and Pro Football Weekly from that era.

redsurfer11
12-24-2008, 04:57 PM
KCJ, I still have that issue of Pro Quarterback.I still have the old issues of Football Digest and Pro Football Weekly from that era.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks, Spot. I stand corrected. Either way, we could have won on a FG on the last possession if the refs hadn't taken a TD, a safety and a FG off the scoreboard.

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Good read.

I'll add one more heart breaker to your list. The 1990 Wild Card game against the Dolphins that we lost on a phantom holding call on Dave Szott when Lowery had kicked the apparent game-winning field goal. He missed from 52 yards after the penalty was assessed.

What is it with us and kickers??????
Then we cut Tynes and he hits the game winner for NY...

OK, I'll remain calm and not lose my Christmas spirit...

:D

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Is this the coal for my stocking?

My bad girlfriend has definitely given me more than enough reasons to stop caring.

I'm hoping that her stepfather of 20 years will stop abusing her, and my Chiefs will someone stop acting like an impure woman and love me back.

No coal, Iowanian, its a message of the hope in a little boy's heart - yours, mine, and all Chiefs fans. Prayers for your girlfriend.
May Jesus visit her family with His love and healing!
KCJ

KCJohnny
12-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Ahhhh. Thanks for the happy memory. It's like hot chocolate on a fridgid day after the loss this past week.

Scrooge!
Grinch!

Merry Christmas, TJ.

Oh, and warm memory for us is the Gun owned Shanny... :D

Douche Baggins
12-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, and warm memory for us is the Gun owned Shanny... :D

I'm sure that will comfort Gunther next season when he's futilely coaching linebackers somewhere while Shanahan sits in his Dove Valley mansion.

KCJohnny
01-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Pre-emptive emotional therapy for a worst-case scenario on Sunday. I am in Korea, and will be getting up at 0300 hours to watch. Hopefully something new!

KCJohnny
01-08-2011, 07:05 AM
</EMBED>The loss that started it all: Dolphins 27, Chiefs 24, Christmas Day 1971.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ed77Iyrg4vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ed77Iyrg4vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>