PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Man vs. Wild

Frazod
12-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Anybody ever watch this show? Man, it's nasty.

Dude just ate a yak eyeball.

Fuck.

:Lin:

KCChiefsMan
12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Survivorman owns his ass

Simply Red
12-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Anybody ever watch this show? Man, it's nasty.

Dude just ate a yak eyeball.

:Lin:

Love it, he owns Survivorman's ass.

DMAC
12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
He also owns his own camera crew.

Frazod
12-24-2008, 10:15 PM
You'd think the guy would just hate the production crew. He's drinking piss out of a snakeskin and the cameraguy's standing there drinking an Evian and eating beef jerky. :D

J Diddy
12-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Man vs. Wild is more polished for sure. Survivorman is more authentic.

KCChiefsMan
12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Les Stroud does it all himself, that's why I like him better. Bear has a camera crew and got caught getting a chopper ride out in the middle of the night. I like both shows, but Survivorman is more hardcore.

Silock
12-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Not even close.

LiL stumppy
12-25-2008, 12:22 PM
He also owns his own camera crew.

Which makes for better TV!

He also knows more of what he's doing than the other guy.

Brock
12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I like them both, but Bear Grylls is as phony as they come.

KC Jones
12-25-2008, 03:39 PM

I'm in this camp. I thought it was funny that they decided to add the 'dramatization preface' to the show after it was discovered he often stayed at hotels during shooting.

A former SAS soldier became embroiled in the television faking row yesterday after it was revealed that he stayed in hotels during a series about surviving unaided in the "hellholes of the world".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1558242/Bear-Grylls-%27faked-Channel-4%27s-Born-Survivor%27.html

BigChiefFan
12-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I think he really is a bad ass, but why sit out there all night if you don't have to? I have little doubt the guy could survive in the wild.

KcMizzou
12-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll watch either, but I do prefer Survivor man. Les isn't so overly dramatic.

Delano
12-25-2008, 05:38 PM
If I was in need of survival skills for some reason, I'd really try to remember what Les displayed in his show over Bear's.

One show had Bear walk out in the middle of a frozen lake in subzero temperatures and dive in a mysterious square hole. Thinking back, I don't really recall the point of that exercise.

ragedogg69
12-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I prefer survivorman if only because he is the only one of them that has lit his own shelter on fire. Apparently, he thought it was ok to have a raging camp fire under his tipped tree trunk shelter.

LiL stumppy
12-28-2008, 12:46 PM

How? He knows more about the wildlife than the survivor does.

Brock
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM

No, he doesn't.

Delano
12-28-2008, 12:58 PM
The only think I don't like about Survivorman is Les always complaining about carrying his camera gear around.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Les Stroud sets up camp and waits for the rescue crew to come and get him after a week.

Gryllis actively seeks civilization, and demonstrates how to react to situations along the way. I don't care if he sometimes staged things for the camera or stayed in a hotel on a couple of occasions. He still performs all the things you see on the show. I'd rather see how to set a snare or save yourself from quicksand than some out of shape retard huffing and puffing as he talks to his camera about how much of a pain it was to lug his 20 pound camera and set it up.

Delano
12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Les Stroud sets up camp and waits for the rescue crew to come and get him after a week.

Gryllis actively seeks civilization, and demonstrates how to react to situations along the way. I don't care if he sometimes staged things for the camera or stayed in a hotel on a couple of occasions. He still performs all the things you see on the show. I'd rather see how to set a snare or save yourself from quicksand than some out of shape retard huffing and puffing as he talks to his camera about how much of a pain it was to lug his 20 pound camera and set it up.

I think the first strategy is better for actual survival.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Survivorman owns his ass

THIS!

I watched "Bear" scaled down a waterfall while his cameraman filmed him all the way down.

How the fuck did the cameraman get down? ROFL

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Not always. Most of the time he has to make his wat to the base camp.

I guess staying all night in a motel is tougher though, i.e. man vs. wild.

Brock
12-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Bear Grylls is great when he's 50 yards from the nearest highway.

http://www.spike.com/video/bear-grylls-is-phony/2886365

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:13 PM

LOL, that is a joke.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Bear Grylls is great when he's 50 yards from the nearest highway.

http://www.spike.com/video/bear-grylls-is-phony/2886365

THIS!

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Not always. Most of the time he has to make his wat to the base camp.

I guess staying all night in a motel is tougher though, i.e. man vs. wild.

of course out of all the episodes, Gryllis only stayed in a hotel in a couple of instances.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Exactly. Most people creat and\or worsen their situation cause they "THINK" they know where to go and how to get there.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:15 PM
of course out of all the episodes, Gryllis only stayed in a hotel in a couple of instances.

That is a couple more than Les Stroud ever has.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM

if you are in a populated area, and someone is likely to come across you or even knows you're missing, it is.

If no one knows you are in trouble, or if you are in a desolate area, you may need to move to survive. THAT is where the things Gryllis demonstrates would be needed.

Man Vs. Wild is entertainment, with a purpose. Very few people watching will ever need that knowledge, but in at least one case, the techniques demonstrated on the show have saved a life.

I doubt you will find anyone who's life was saved by knowing how hard it was for Stroud to carry his tripod.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM
That is a couple more than Les Stroud ever has.

aside from those times Stroud tapped out and got picked up early.

Brock
12-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Man Vs. Wild is entertainment, with a purpose. Very few people watching will ever need that knowledge, but in at least one case, the techniques demonstrated on the show have saved a life.

I think you may be confused about which show is credited with saving a person's life.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:21 PM
aside from those times Stroud tapped out and got picked up early.

When Bear carries his own equipment into the "REAL wilderness", not 50 feet from the highway, we can discuss this.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
if you are in a populated area, and someone is likely to come across you or even knows you're missing, it is.

If no one knows you are in trouble, or if you are in a desolate area, you may need to move to survive. THAT is where the things Gryllis demonstrates would be needed.

I doubt you will find anyone who's life was saved by knowing how hard it was for Stroud to carry his tripod.

all Gryllis demonstrates is to not go anywhere that is out of sight of a Comfort Inn. ROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I think you may be confused about which show is credited with saving a person's life.

obviously not.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4170377

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
all Gryllis demonstrates is to not go anywhere that is out of sight of a Comfort Inn. ROFL

yeah, because there are som many hotels in the middle of nowhere where many MvW shows were filmed.

Brock
12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
obviously not.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4170377

And on the other hand....

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/20080404125729/wire/entertainment/canada-s-survivorman-humbled-to-hear-manitoba-man-used-his-tips-to-survive.html

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:26 PM
When Bear carries his own equipment into the "REAL wilderness", not 50 feet from the highway, we can discuss this.

when Stroud actually does something dangerous and interesting, I might find his show more enjoyable.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah, because there are som many hotels in the middle of nowhere where many MvW shows were filmed.

If he actually went to the middle of nowhere you would have a point.

Seems he is always "scaling" waterfalls or dangerous terrain while his cameraman who is 30 ft away makes his way just fine. ROFL

Brock
12-28-2008, 01:27 PM
when Stroud actually does something dangerous and interesting, I might find his show more enjoyable.

:rolleyes: We're sorry reality isn't interesting enough for you, and you need manufactured drama to hold your attention.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Well, this post just shows you are clueless.

Unless being in the middle of no where without a camera crew or anything else for that matter i snot dangerous.

Bear really puts himself out there with 2-3 guys prepping his "episode" and filiming him and being htere in case he gets hurt. ROFL

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
:rolleyes: We're sorry reality isn't interesting enough for you, and you need manufactured drama to hold your attention.

If I hold the camera the right way I could convince you I was stranded in a neverending field of grassin my backyard!

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
to each his own, my idea of entertainment isn't watching Les Stroud huff and puff his way back and forth from his camera setup counting the days until the chopper comes back.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
to each his own, my idea of entertainment isn't watching Les Stroud huff and puff his way back and forth from his camera setup counting the days until the chopper comes back.

Well, one is surviving for real and one is pretending. Pretend is always mroe fun, I will agree.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, one is surviving for real and one is pretending. Pretend is always mroe fun, I will agree.

I'd still say the odds that Gryllis would die during filming are much higher than Stroud.

People don't watch hockey to see skating, and they don't watch auto racing to see the pit stops.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd still say the odds that Gryllis would die during filming are much higher than Stroud.

People don't watch hockey to see skating, and they don't watch auto racing to see the pit stops.

Ber also has people with him, Les does not. Therefore the risk taking takes on a whole new aspect.

Brock
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM

That's only because he does manufactured stunts that nobody in a survival situation should attempt.

Delano
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM

That is true and also the reason noone should take Bear for more than entertainment.

If you are stranded in wilderness, you do not take unnecessary risks. That is rule number one.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
That is true and also the reason noone should take Bear for more than entertainment.

If you are stranded in wilderness, you do not take unnecessary risks. That is rule number one.

Exaclty...if you are stranded by yourself you don't go scaling waterfalls and climbing rocks and such. Unless you just want to get hurt and die a painful death.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:52 PM

you miss the whole point. It has always been very clear that MvW is to demonstrate how to get out of an extreme situation. the ONLY controversy is that in the first 2 seasons they didn't have explicit cut cards stating that he received assistance or on occasion stayed in a base camp or cabin. But at the end of the day, it was still Gryllis jumping into that river or eating a yak eyeball.

If you're lost in the mountains and near a trail, sure, you sit it out. But if your plane crashes in the middle of the desert and no one knows where you are or is looking for you, you MUST be proactive.

Gryllis jumps into quicksand to demonstrate how to get out of you ever encounter it. He jumps into a sub-freezing lake to show you how to get out and recover once you do.

Obviously 99% of people will never encounter either situation, but if you do, having watched MvW gives you a chance because he shows you how to handle it.

Stroud doesn't show anything like that.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Exaclty...if you are stranded by yourself you don't go scaling waterfalls and climbing rocks and such. Unless you just want to get hurt and die a painful death.

or unless you feel there is a high likelyhood that NO ONE knows you're missing or where you are. And those situations happen.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
you miss the whole point. It has always been very clear that MvW is to demonstrate how to get out of an extreme situation. the ONLY controversy is that in the first 2 seasons they didn't have explicit cut cards stating that he received assistance or on occasion stayed in a base camp or cabin. But at the end of the day, it was still Gryllis jumping into that river or eating a yak eyeball.

If you're lost in the mountains and near a trail, sure, you sit it out. But if your plane crashes in the middle of the desert and no one knows where you are or is looking for you, you MUST be proactive.

Gryllis jumps into quicksand to demonstrate how to get out of you ever encounter it. He jumps into a sub-freezing lake to show you how to get out and recover once you do.

Obviously 99% of people will never encounter either situation, but if you do, having watched MvW gives you a chance because he shows you how to handle it.

Stroud doesn't show anything like that.
Um, that is bullshit. Bear tired to pass off his show as the same as Survivorman until he got busted. And if you are in a plane crash or something you are going to beinjured at the least. So what Bear shows is not practical.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Um, that is bullshit. Bear tired to pass off his show as the same as Survivorman until he got busted. And if you are in a plane crash or something you are going to beinjured at the least. So what Bear shows is not practical.

thousands of people have walked away from plane crashes with minor injuries.

apparently you're not just a dummy when it comes to the Chiefs and building decks. I won't continue to waste my time on you.

Delano
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not going to slide down a waterfall over finding another route.

Brock
12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not going to slide down a waterfall over finding another route.

What, you don't think a shattered ankle and dying of gangrene sounds good?

petegz28
12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
thousands of people have walked away from plane crashes with minor injuries.

apparently you're not just a dummy when it comes to the Chiefs and building decks. I won't continue to waste my time on you.

Do yourself a favor and do not ever leave your house.

Nevermind I said people are going to be injured and you just reaffirmed that then slamemd me for it.
What a fucking tard.

petegz28
12-28-2008, 02:17 PM
or unless you feel there is a high likelyhood that NO ONE knows you're missing or where you are. And those situations happen.

Also,if no one knows you are missing then you doomed yourself before you ever go in trouble.

Rule #1. ALWAYS tell someone where you are going and such.

Ultra Peanut
12-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Les > Bear

ttyl

petegz28
12-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I won't discount what Bear shows you. But the conditions of which he attempted to portray it was bullshit. And now he has to premise his show that these are basically manufactured scenarios.

all in all, Les is surviving and Bear is showing you what to do in the case you get a hair up your ass and want to worsen your situation.

Delano
12-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I won't discount what Bear shows you. But the conditions of which he attempted to portray it was bullshit. And now he has to premise his show that these are basically manufactured scenarios.

all in all, Les is surviving and Bear is showing you what to do in the case you get a hair up your ass and want to worsen your situation.

Wasn't there a show called worse case scenario or something where they showed what to do in crazy situations?

Basically, Bear does that, but he wraps it up in a survival soap opera. I think he gives people some bad ideas though.

I remember the South Dakota episode where he left the plains and entered the Badlands because there was a road down in there. Probably safer to find a road on the prairie ehh, Bear?

petegz28
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Wasn't there a show called worse case scenario or something where they showed what to do in crazy situations?

Basically, Bear does that, but he wraps it up in a survival soap opera. I think he gives people some bad ideas though.

I remember the South Dakota episode where he left the plains and entered the Badlands because there was a road down in there. Probably safer to find a road on the prairie ehh, Bear?

Les Stroud did a show to show you wht to do like if your car was caught in a flood and situations like that. I gree though, Bear takes too many risks that the normal person is not going to be able nor have the desire to take. Especially if you have never done it before.

Stroud has shown how to build fires, what a fucking idea, from everything but matches. Bear always has his magnesium stick on him. Stroud also shows you how to buld snares and drop traps contrary to what the other guy says.

I watched Les start a fire last night using a LED flashlight. I have seen him start fires with rubbin sticks, using a battery and using fluids in a first aid kit.

I have seen Bear do nothing other than use his magnesium stick.,

Les also shows you how to strip down whatever equipment you may have and how to use it to your advantage.

Clearly Survivorman is the more practical of the shows as more hikers\bikers\snowmobiler's will find themsevles in his situations rather than Bear's.

KCChiefsMan
12-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Bear Grylls is around for sex appeal.
Survivorman is around for badassness.

KCChiefsMan
12-28-2008, 04:50 PM

you gotta be kidding? Les Stroud goes out by himself and survives. Bear always has company and a ride out by saying 2 words. I don't know how anybody that is reasonable could say Bear is better than Les. You just think Bear is sexy don't you?

petegz28
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
you gotta be kidding? Les Stroud goes out by himself and survives. Bear always has company and a ride out by saying 2 words. I don't know how anybody that is reasonable could say Bear is better than Les. You just think Bear is sexy don't you?

Is yelling "TAXI!" really 2 words? :)

KCChiefsMan
12-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Is yelling "TAXI!" really 2 words? :)

I was thinking LET'S GO!!!! :)

Ultra Peanut
12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Secret:

Les makes me think of Chris Benoit.

J Diddy
12-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Bear Grylls is around for sex appeal.
Survivorman is around for badassness.

QFT

although I don't know what's sexy about a man who grabs elephant poop, squeezes it to get the water out and drinks it
I guess..
This is why I couldn't be gay.