PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Help - PSP can't connect to home wireless network

Lzen
12-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Anyone have any experience in getting a Sony PSP linked to you home wireless network? My son got the PSP for Christmas. I tried connecting to my network and the PSP says error and something about security every time. My security is off but SSID is not broadcast. I also use MAC filtering but put the PSP's MAC into my allowed MAC database in the router. I tried turning on the SSID - no difference. I tried disabling the MAC filter - still no connect. Ideas?

Guru
12-25-2008, 03:09 PM
firewall?

88TG88
12-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Make sure it has the latest firmware on it ?

Guru
12-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Make sure it has the latest firmware on it ?Why? I don't. I'm still 4.01.

Of course, if his is brand new he probably already has 5.0 on it.

Lzen
12-25-2008, 03:44 PM
firewall?

Firewall on what? I told my router to allow that PSP's MAC address.

Lzen
12-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Why? I don't. I'm still 4.01.

Of course, if his is brand new he probably already has 5.0 on it.

No, I nthink it still has 4.0.1.

BigChiefFan
12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
You'll need to put your wep key number into the PSP under the security settings.

Guru
12-25-2008, 04:00 PM
You'll need to put your wep key number into the PSP under the security settings.I just figured he already did that.

Lzen
12-25-2008, 04:07 PM
You'll need to put your wep key number into the PSP under the security settings.

No, you don't understand. I don't have encryption on at all. I turned off the encryption when I got my new laptop a few weeks ago and it would not connect with encryption on. My router is a Linksys WRT54GL. I use MAC filtering and I turn off SSID broadcast.

Guru
12-25-2008, 04:11 PM
If your laptop won't even connect under encryption I would say your router has issues.

Lzen
12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I have no problems with my wireless adapter to the desktop PC, my wireless adapter that is connected to the Xbox, or my Toshiba laptop that is on XP. I thought maybe it was a Vista issue, but my FIL's laptop has Vista and I was able to connect with it.

Guru
12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, I have no problems with my wireless adapter to the desktop PC, my wireless adapter that is connected to the Xbox, or my Toshiba laptop that is on XP. I thought maybe it was a Vista issue, but my FIL's laptop has Vista and I was able to connect with it.Might want to do a search regarding PSP and that specific router and see if it might be common.

BigChiefFan
12-25-2008, 06:07 PM
If security isn't a factor, restore the router to factory settings.

Back up your data(always back up your data :P)
Go to "Settings" > "System Settings" > "Format Memory Stick". Say yes to both of the prompts.
Then go down further to "Settings" > "System Settings" > "Restore Default Settings". Say yes to both of the prompts then press X to restart.
Choose your settings.

For a secure line, I recommend using this...

Then go to "Settings" > "Network Settings" > "Infrastructure Mode" > "[New Connection]" > "Scan" and choose your SSID
Select your WLAN Security Setting (WEP, WPA-PSK[TKIP], or WPA-PSK[AES]) since we're trying to do it WITH a Security setting enabled. then press right on the d-pad or X.
Enter your WEP Key then press right on the d-pad or X.
Then for Address Settings. Just choose "Easy" and press right on the d-pad or X.
Enter your connetion name then press right on the d-pad or X.
Review your settings on the Settings List and press right on the d-pad or X.
Now press X when it asks you to test your connection.
And you should be all set!

originally posted by cliche 37 from eggxpert

TinyEvel
12-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience in the PSP hook-up department, but if you still have trouble, tell me, and I'll ask the SCEA guys in the PSP ward.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, can my son borrow your charger?

Garcia Bronco
12-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Most likely your DHCP in your wireless router is using MAC address filtering or has a limited number of IP's to hand out. Maybe. It's worth checking.

Garcia Bronco
12-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Firewall on what? I told my router to allow that PSP's MAC address.

Then check how many IP's or the range you allow it to hand out. Once you clear that hurddle you can concentrate on the PSP as a problem