PDA

View Full Version : Video Games I got a Wi

smittysbar
12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
for X-Mas. What games and controllers should I get? I love sport games, didn't know how good Tiger Woods is.

So I guess which are the must haves? What controller add ons are must haves?

NewChief
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I really like the Wii Fit board with the snowboarding and skateboard games. My brother swears by the Mario Kart wheel and racing games, but I've never used it.

QuikSsurfer
12-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Resident Evil 4 and Mario Galaxy are fun.
Tiger Woods is about the only good sports game (aside from Wii Sports) and the House of the Dead collection (with light gun attachment) is a must.
Wii Sports 2 will be out soon.

edit: go ahead and buy a charge station

smittysbar
12-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I really like the Wii Fit board with the snowboarding and skateboard games. My brother swears by the Mario Kart wheel and racing games, but I've never used it.

We are getting wii fit, but everywhere is sold out so far. Mario Kart looks fun.

Guru
12-26-2008, 01:20 PM
What the hell is a Wi anyway?

Pablo
12-26-2008, 01:23 PM
We are getting wii fit, but everywhere is sold out so far. Mario Kart looks fun.I thought MarioKart was great, but I absolutely hated using the wheel for it, I'd much rather use the controller.

I really didn't buy any games for my Wii since Wii Sports was good enough for most social situations when I played my Wii, but I did buy Tiger Woods.

It's very responsive to your actual swing, and fun.

NewChief
12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Warning:

Snowboarding on the wii fit after too many cocktails can lead to falling down... repeatedly.

Dick Bull
12-26-2008, 01:31 PM
i hated the lack of games and took mine back, that being said resident evil 4 on the wii is the greatest game ever

Pablo
12-26-2008, 01:34 PM
i hated the lack of games and took mine back, that being said resident evil 4 on the wii is the greatest game everYeah, it's kinda short on the quality game side, but I gotta admit that it is the best console for a social group to play together. Get a few drunk folks together and bowl and it's pretty f*cking sweet.

Wii Sports was really all I ever needed for that console. That being said, it still wasn't worth me keeping it around, and I sold it.

Buck
12-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it's kinda short on the quality game side, but I gotta admit that it is the best console for a social group to play together. Get a few drunk folks together and bowl and it's pretty f*cking sweet.

Wii Sports was really all I ever needed for that console. That being said, it still wasn't worth me keeping it around, and I sold it.

I sold mine to the Elks Club for $150 w/ Wii Sports. Sold all my games to gamestop. Its not a serious console, you cant even play DVDs in it.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy

NewChief
12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
I sold mine to the Elks Club for $150 w/ Wii Sports. Sold all my games to gamestop. Its not a serious console, you cant even play DVDs in it.

It's definitely not a "serious" console. That being said, it's changing the attitude that many people have toward gaming. My mother-in-law and her group of retiree friends in Bella Vista all have Wii parties constantly. I don't think they'll be transitioning over to GoW parties anytime, soon. As such, the Wii is a serious success and has changed the face of gaming.

smittysbar
12-26-2008, 03:39 PM
This info kinda bumms me out, as this is what I was thinking myself.

Ultra Peanut
12-26-2008, 03:43 PM
As long as "casual" gaming doesn't hurt "hardcore" gaming, it's fine.

But gat damn, there are like five games I care about. At all. And one of them is Endless Ocean, which is the most chillaxinest game ever.

KevB
12-26-2008, 10:08 PM
I really enjoy Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Tiger Woods '09, Wii Fit, Shaun White Snowboarding (with Fit board) and of course Wii Sports. I have three kids, and we have a great time with it. Just got Rock Band for the Wii for Christmas, and I'm sure we'll have a blast with that as well.

Guru
12-26-2008, 10:10 PM

But gat damn, there are like five games I care about. At all. And one of them is Endless Ocean, which is the most chillaxinest game ever.Endless ocean? is that even a game?

Captain Obvious
12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Mario Kart is awesome. We spent a couple hours playing it today. Of course Wii Sports rocks. Rock Band is a lot of fun. A game I enjoy is Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. But games like Madden kinda blows.

KcMizzou
12-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd play anything with "Zelda" in the title.

Ebolapox
12-26-2008, 10:58 PM
the legend of zelda: twilight princess is one of my top five alltime favorite games.

paper mario and mario galaxy were both great. resident evil 4 was good (but I'd played it on both the ps2 and gamecube first).

I had a wii, but decided I didn't play it enough to justify keeping it--I traded it, my ps2, some games (and a shit-ton of game accessories) for my ps3. it's been a great decision.

KcMizzou
12-26-2008, 11:04 PM
This info kinda bumms me out, as this is what I was thinking myself.If you don't know all this already... you're probably not the type of guy who will miss the "serious" games that we like.

That being the case, the Wii will probably suit you perfectly.

Ebolapox
12-26-2008, 11:05 PM
If you don't know all this already... you're probably not the type of guy who will miss the "serious" games that we like.

Antifreez...errrr.... kill your....errr...

This.

Guru
12-26-2008, 11:09 PM
If you don't know all this already... you're probably not the type of guy who will miss the "serious" games that we like.

Antifreez...errrr.... kill your....errr...

This.Such a nice way to say, you suck. :D

KcMizzou
12-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Such a nice way to say, you suck. :DHeheh.

I guess all I really meant to say was that he won't know what he's missing out on. Baby steps.

Guru
12-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Heheh.

I guess all I really meant to say was that he won't know what he's missing out on. Baby steps.had to give ya some shit though. :D

Dick Bull
12-26-2008, 11:57 PM
It's definitely not a "serious" console. That being said, it's changing the attitude that many people have toward gaming. My mother-in-law and her group of retiree friends in Bella Vista all have Wii parties constantly. I don't think they'll be transitioning over to GoW parties anytime, soon. As such, the Wii is a serious success and has changed the face of gaming.

this is very true

the problem is the company that makes the wii wants to dictate the games to be played on it way too much

I'm actually shocked they let resident evil 4 in. Even twilight princess was kiddyfied.

If you could get me 3 or 4 more games like re 4 on the wii I'd have never got rid of it.

BTW, smitty, never, and I mean never play madden online with it

It's a depressing frigging thing.

Mr Luzcious
12-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Man you guys are downers.

smittysbar
12-27-2008, 12:06 PM

I have a PS2 and XBox 360 at the bar, Though I was drunk the other night and the door wouldn't open on the 360 so I tried to force it with a knife. The little wheel that picks the disk up broke off inside, so I guess it's fucked now.

smittysbar
12-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Okay the wife bought the sports package (racket, bat, and golf club) yesterday. Got Mario Cart, and the wheel, and Tiger Woods 09. Haven't tried them yet. Will report back later.

BigVE
12-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Meh, our wii is gathering dust now. Mario Kart racing was fun for a little while but the other "real" games we have tried all suck on Wii...the Xbox 360 never rests in our house.

Dick Bull
12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a PS2 and XBox 360 at the bar, Though I was drunk the other night and the door wouldn't open on the 360 so I tried to force it with a knife. The little wheel that picks the disk up broke off inside, so I guess it's ****ed now.

drunk man in a bar with a knife

think i'm gonna stay out of that bar

Basileus777
12-27-2008, 04:40 PM
this is very true

the problem is the company that makes the wii wants to dictate the games to be played on it way too much

I'm actually shocked they let resident evil 4 in. Even twilight princess was kiddyfied.

If you could get me 3 or 4 more games like re 4 on the wii I'd have never got rid of it.

BTW, smitty, never, and I mean never play madden online with it

It's a depressing frigging thing.

Nintendo isn't restricting content on 3rd party games. Those are just the types of games developers/publishers are making for the Wii; presumably because that's what they figure will sell the to Wii's audience.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2008, 04:48 PM

No threat of that happening at all.

Since the PS3, the 360 and the Wii all seem to be hits, it appears there is a niche for almost everyone.

Basileus777
12-27-2008, 04:59 PM
No threat of that happening at all.

Since the PS3, the 360 and the Wii all seem to be hits, it appears there is a niche for almost everyone.

There certainly is a threat of that happening. The Wii and DS are the only real hits this generation. The 360 is pretty successful and it has strong software sales, but the PS3 has a small install base and is still losing Sony money. Nintendo is raking in record profits while mostly everyone else is losing money. Look at all of the publishers going under, much of that is because of the economy; but the high costs of developing games for the HDs systems is taking its toll. Wii games are cheaper to make, the Wii install base is huge and its sales continue to dwarf everything else; that makes the Wii appealing to all these publishers losing money. With the way the Wii is selling there is a good chance that 3rd party developers will starto focus more on the Wii and that probably means making mroe casual oriented games to target the Wii demographic; it's already happening in Japan.

Wii Play is now the best selling single sku game of all time. Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will outsell GTA4. The Wii itself is the most success gaming system ever. If you don't think this is going to affect the gaming industry you are being a bit optimistic.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
There certainly is a threat of that happening. The Wii and DS are the only real hits this generation. The 360 is pretty successful and it has strong software sales, but the PS3 has a small install base and is still losing Sony money. Nintendo is raking in record profits while mostly everyone else is losing money. Look at all of the publishers going under, much of that is because of the economy; but the high costs of developing games for the HDs systems is taking its toll. Wii games are cheaper to make, the Wii install base is huge and its sales continue to dwarf everything else; that makes the Wii appealing to all these publishers losing money. With the way the Wii is selling there is a good chance that 3rd party developers will starto focus more on the Wii and that probably means making mroe casual oriented games to target the Wii demographic; it's already happening in Japan.

Wii Play is now the best selling single sku game of all time. Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will outsell GTA4. The Wii itself is the most success gaming system ever. If you don't think this is going to affect the gaming industry you are being a bit optimistic.

The people have spoken. Casual gaming is what the majority wants for the time being it appears.

But there will always be a market for the hardcore gamers.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Endless ocean? is that even a game?You take pictures of fish.

Taco John
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't understand the problem that people have with the Wii. It's the most successful gaming system ever created. They've got some great games, with more on the way. I've had more fun with my Wii than any game system I've ever owned, including my Xbox (which I loved the hell out of). In fact, I just won the Superbowl in my fantasy league - I had planned to buy an Xbox 360 with the money, but I'm still having so much fun with my Wii that I've decided to wait a while.

Ultra Peanut
12-28-2008, 01:22 AM
are u old

Rausch
12-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't understand the problem that people have with the Wii. It's the most successful gaming system ever created.

No...:shake:

Ari Chi3fs
12-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I got my son the Wireless Gamecube controller and The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker... my son and wife are loving it.

I noticed that my wife is way more happy and content with adult pacifier "wiimote" in her hand.

Much less bitching too.

Basileus777
12-28-2008, 01:55 AM
No...:shake:

It will be. The Wii is on pace to easily surpass the PS2 in sales. It won't ever have the PS2's game library, but in terms of sales you can't doubt its success.

Dick Bull
12-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Nintendo isn't restricting content on 3rd party games. Those are just the types of games developers/publishers are making for the Wii; presumably because that's what they figure will sell the to Wii's audience.

well they lost me

Archie F. Swin
12-28-2008, 09:33 AM
It's definitely not a "serious" console.

you know Nintendo has to be in the lab right now addressing the non-believers. Everyone knows there is room for improvement on Wii...probably no one knows this more than Nintendo. What if they had debuted the Wii as capable as the PS3, only to have it tank because of price point? Now they have a green light to do with it what they want.

Deberg_1990
12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
well they lost me

You dont think Nintendo knows they have lost the hardcore gamers???

They basically made the decision a long time ago, to give that audience up to Sony and Microsoft.

From a marketing perspective, what Nintendo has done is brilliant.

Dick Bull
12-28-2008, 02:43 PM
You dont think Nintendo knows they have lost the hardcore gamers???

They basically made the decision a long time ago, to give that audience up to Sony and Microsoft.

From a marketing perspective, what Nintendo has done is brilliant.

They can go on being brilliant, if brilliant is alienating a potential customer base. Hardcore gamers are also the ones who dish out the most dough on games, hardware etc.

NewChief
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
They can go on being brilliant, if brilliant is alienating a potential customer base. Hardcore gamers are also the ones who dish out the most dough on games, hardware etc.

It's hard to create the complexity in control that hardcore gamers want with the wii's system. I don't see them being able to ever really capture the hardcore gamer group unless they start offering some sort of more traditional interface.

Stryker
12-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Wii got one too. I bought Rock Band 2, Mario Kart and two wheels for it, Resident Evil 4, No More Heroes, Red Steel, Wii Play, Star Wars Legos and all are great games. Get the re-chargeable batteries and the charger for it for sure.

cabletech94
12-29-2008, 07:48 AM
One of the best features is the downloadable games.

I'm talking old school games. It's great for that.

Dick Bull
12-29-2008, 07:58 AM
One of the best features is the downloadable games.

I'm talking old school games. It's great for that.

yeah that was cool about it

I downloaded the original tecmo bowl, mike tysons punch out, etc....

the wii's design makes it just like the old nes controllers

smittysbar
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Is the web browser channel very good, I was wondering if I could watch movies off my Netflix account on it

Deberg_1990
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Is the web browser channel very good, I was wondering if I could watch movies off my Netflix account on it

Its very basic. It uses a browser called Opera. I dont think is supports java. Ive tried to download streaming content before and it bombs out.

Guru
01-26-2010, 04:05 AM
Endless ocean? is that even a game?

You take pictures of fish.

And now they are coming out with Endless Ocean 2. You get to take pictures of even more fish.

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Ocean-Blue-World-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BS47L2/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10YZ58DB0T38C4YK47JC