PDA

View Full Version : Computers Using a PC to connecet your Wii to the net

Archie F. Swin
12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I know you can buy a LAN adapter to connect your Wii to your PC and therefore the internets....but isn't there a way you can do this wirelessly? My PC is in the same room as the Wii but I can't run cables, it would be an eyesore. I was hoping fro a wireless solution.

phisherman
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM
doesn't the wii have built in wireless networking?

Deberg_1990
12-28-2008, 01:24 PM
doesn't the wii have built in wireless networking?

This

Fishpicker
12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
wii are set up to use 802.11b or 802.11g so... as long as you have a router that is capable of b, g, or b+g, you will be set.

Archie F. Swin
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
so I just need to get a wireless router?

L.A. Chieffan
12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
so I just need to get a wireless router?

Yes. If you want wireless in your house you need to have wireless.

Archie F. Swin
12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I bought a wireless router, I can't seem to get it to work with my DSL modem

patteeu
12-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I bought a wireless router, I can't seem to get it to work with my DSL modem

It should work out of the box when you connect it to the DSL modem although your network will be unsecured. What kind of problem are you running into? Did your router come with any documentation?

Archie F. Swin
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
It should work out of the box when you connect it to the DSL modem although your network will be unsecured. What kind of problem are you running into? Did your router come with any documentation?

I hooked it up by the book and it appears that data is flowing through my DSL modem and the wireless router, but the software (CDrOM) that came with the router keeps saying it cant "locate" the router. I dont get it, it seems that everything is where it needs to be.

patteeu
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I hooked it up by the book and it appears that data is flowing through my DSL modem and the wireless router, but the software (CDrOM) that came with the router keeps saying it cant "locate" the router. I dont get it, it seems that everything is where it needs to be.

Are you trying to connect your PC to the router wirelessly? If so, does your PC have a wireless adapter?

morphius
12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Does the documentation for your router include a url to connect to the device through your PC? Something like http://192.168.0.1 or something? If you can connect to that, then you can connect to your router, ignore what the CD is telling you. You may have to enable the wireless connection through the http:// address, as it might be off by default to allow you to put in your encryption keys.

Fishpicker
12-29-2008, 09:23 AM

do you have cat-5 cable connecting the router to the PC? you need either a cat-5 patch cable (connected to the ethernet NIC), a wireless USB adapter or, a wireless card to connect to the motherboard. which of these do you have?

Archie F. Swin
12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Are you trying to connect your PC to the router wirelessly? If so, does your PC have a wireless adapter?

I've got the ethernet from the modem pluged into the router, then a cable that goes from the #1 port on the router into the back of my PC. (I havent even attempted to use the wifi yet). The green data indicator lights at the data points are lit (modem, router, PC). Apparently I need to get my PC to talk to the router.

Fishpicker
12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
what is the make & model of your router?

morphius
12-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I've got the ethernet from the modem pluged into the router, then a cable that goes from the #1 port on the router into the back of my PC. (I havent even attempted to use the wifi yet). The green data indicator lights at the data points are lit (modem, router, PC). Apparently I need to get my PC to talk to the router.
Have you rebooted your PC since it was plugged into the router? Or done an ipconfig /renew at the command line?

Archie F. Swin
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
what is the make & model of your router?

Linksys WRT54G

I'm not at home, so I cant tell you what kind of modem I have. All I know is its an SBC DSL modem we got at least 4 years ago.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
some DSL modems also include built in wireless. I know that some of the SBC modems did.

*edit* if your modem has it's own wifi router you will run into problems trying to add a router.

Fishpicker
12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I think the problem is probably something to do with DHCP. check this link...

Linksys support (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4031&p_created=1160108749&p_sid=ugkoWAmj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9Nyw3JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwyMCZwX2NhdHM9MTcyMSw xNzIzLDE3MzcmcF9wdj0yLjIwJnBfY3Y9My4xNzM3JnBfc2NmXzM9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1)

at the top of the page, just below the banner, there are some selectable drop down boxes. Under problem type, click on the last box. and see if you can find a description that matches the problem.

Archie F. Swin
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I really appreciate everyone's help....It will be late this afternoon before I can sit at my computer and try things out

keep em comin!

Mr. Plow
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
May sound dumb, but sometimes when I'm having issues with connection, I reset everything.

1. Turn computer, dsl modem, router off and leave unplugged (10 seconds or so)
2. Turn on dsl modem - let it get connected
3. Turn on router - let it get connected
4. Turn on computer

Typically, just resetting everything works for me. Usually something is out of sync somewhere and resetting everything refreshes the connection.

Archie F. Swin
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
As far as I can tell, the router and PC are connected and talking...but when I have the router hooked up, the modem is not recognized. So there's something going on (or not going on) between the DSL gateway and the router.

dang the frustrations!

PastorMikH
12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
It's been a year ago, but I configured my wii to run wireless and my router is two rooms away. Seems to work fine though.

I do know I did it through the wii setup program and had to input the router access code into the wii.

Archie F. Swin
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I think I;m gonna pack up the router and take it back, then call AT&T(my ISP) and have them send me a wireless gateway and be done with it.

beach tribe
12-30-2008, 11:27 AM
May sound dumb, but sometimes when I'm having issues with connection, I reset everything.

1. Turn computer, dsl modem, router off and leave unplugged (10 seconds or so)
2. Turn on dsl modem - let it get connected
3. Turn on router - let it get connected
4. Turn on computer

Typically, just resetting everything works for me. Usually something is out of sync somewhere and resetting everything refreshes the connection.

This almost always works for me.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Archie, what is the model of the modem?

mikeyis4dcats.
12-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I ask this because I ran into the exact issue when configuring wireless for my wife's aunt. She had an old SBC 2Wire gateway, and I had never had DSL and had no clue it was also a wifi router. I connected a Linksys router and couldn't get it to work. Several phone calls later I found out that I didn't even need the router, and it was in fact the problem as it was conflicting with the 2Wire. All I needed to do was configure the 2wire and everything was done.

Archie F. Swin
12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Archie, what is the model of the modem?

2Wire 1070-B

mikeyis4dcats.
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
2Wire 1070-B

ok, that is just a gateway, no wifi. here is a link that may help

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14449195?hilite=linksys+wireless+2wire+modem