PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Zune stuck in reboot

Lzen
12-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Zune owners. Anyone else have your Zune get stuck in reboot mode? This happened to me this morning and apparently this is happening to many other Zunes. Just do a Google search and you will see what I mean. Damn MS. :cuss::cuss:

KevB
12-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Just flipped on my Zune and I see the same thing. Gizmodo has already reported it as well. Seems like a massive shutdown.

SLAG
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
http://sydfish.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/zune-tattoo.jpg

Zune Fail

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F31%2F1428254&from=rss

morphius
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
It isn't a bug, it is a feature.

Otter
12-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Seems there's an issue with system date (an actual Y2K bug ten years later) thinking it's a leap year or something of that nature.

Pop out the battery or synch with a false date. :shrug:

stlchiefs
12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
It's on the msn homepage now: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28449091/wid/11915829?GT1=40006

Microsoft’s Zune 30 plagued by freeze
Company confirms issues with 30-gigabyte digital music devices
By Jasmin Aline Persch
msnbc.com
updated 1:46 p.m. CT, Wed., Dec. 31, 2008

After droves of frazzled customers flooded online forums complaining about their Zunes freezing up, Microsoft confirmed Wednesday that its 30-gigabyte device was, in fact, troubled with technical issues.

(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

“We are aware that customers with the Zune 30GB are experiencing issues with their Zune device. We are actively working now to isolate the issue and develop a solution to address it,” the company said in an e-mail.

Microsoft also said customers can go to zune.net/support for updates.

Earlier, the company said on the site that the issues involved booting the digital music player’s hardware. Later, it added that the Zune Social, an online community where users can share music, “might be slow or inaccessible.”

There are several models of Zune players, some with flash memory storage and others with hard drives up to 120GB. Users of the 30GB model began reporting problems on a Microsoft message board early Wednesday. Customers similarly are saying that their digital music players get stuck on the Zune logo screen as it appears to load, and efforts to unjam the device are mostly fruitless.

As of late Wednesday morning PST, more than 1,600 comments had been posted on Microsoft's Zune message board in response to an entry entitled “Help-frozen zune!!!!”

“My Zune has managed to freeze itself with the Zune logo and the loading bar on the screen and none of the buttons are responding, rebooting isn't responding, plugging it into the computer isn't responding, nothing is working, and it was working a mere two hours ago,” one person wrote.

Since the massive freeze struck shortly before New Year’s Eve, some users have dubbed it “Z2K,” a play off the Y2K bug feared to crash computers in 2000.

Emotions were running high on the Zune message board as some users said they were about to cry and others went so far as to say they might even die without their player. Others cut in, telling people to “CHILL OUT.”

A few do-it-yourselfers report having attempted an ambitious fix that involves taking the Zune apart and removing the battery with success. But most users, some afraid to dismantle their device, are waiting for Microsoft to find a solution.

The price tag of the Zune 30 was slashed by $50 to $199 in 2007. The 30GB version was the first portable music player by Microsoft, which brought it to market in 2006. Originally just dubbed the Zune, it was later renamed Zune 30 when additional models hit stores.

The Zune has between 3 to 4 percent of the digital music player market, which is dominated by Apple’s iPod, with more than 70 percent of the market. Microsoft has sold more than 2 million Zunes. In contrast, Apple sold about 10.6 million iPods alone in the first quarter of 2008.

2008 msnbc.com Reprints

Lzen
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow, that is just great. I am one of those who considered taking it apart, but don't want to screw up something.

Guru
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
guess I wont' bother turning mine on today then.

Bet they try to give us $50 off a new zune. ROFL

No way.

QuikSsurfer
12-31-2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.mopo.ca/uploaded_images/apple_tattoo-736300.jpg

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Yup. Mine too.

Here's the tech support thread they have going about it at Zune:

http://www.zunescene.mobi/forums/index.php?topic=43550.0

Buck
12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
RROD v2.0

SLAG
12-31-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/ul/116413-zune.jpg
Source:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-day-the-zunes-stood-still-every-30gb-zune-in-the-world-has-died--116413.phtml

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2008, 04:51 PM
sendit to dactor

Thig Lyfe
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Who owns a Zune?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Who owns a Zune?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

:rolleyes:

Ipod-lover....probably one of your fellow Ipod lovers hacked the software. I smell a conspiracy!!!

;)

Seriously though, there's talk it may have something to do with the leap year....the extra day in 2008, and that after midnight (west coast time) tonight, they'll have it fixed....just let the battery run out, recharge it, and it it should be ready to go tomorrow.

That's the story now anyway.... :hmmm:

Guru
12-31-2008, 06:09 PM
:rolleyes:

Ipod-lover....probably one of your fellow Ipod lovers hacked the software. I smell a conspiracy!!!

;)

Seriously though, there's talk it may have something to do with the leap year....the extra day in 2008, and that after midnight (west coast time) tonight, they'll have it fixed....just let the battery run out, recharge it, and it it should be ready to go tomorrow.

That's the story now anyway.... :hmmm:So are they saying I will have to drain my battery even if I didn't turn it on today at all? What is the point of draining the battery and how do you drain it if it doesn't even work in the first place?

Lzen
12-31-2008, 09:59 PM
The Apple fanboys in this thread are not helping anything.
I have been very happy with my Zune sine I bought it 14 months ago. I only paid $99 for a 30 GB Zune. That beat the Hell out of a similar iPod at the time which would have been about $250 or $300. It has been a very solid unit since then.

Yea, there is some problem with it now, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good product. This is some fugged up glitch. If they can't give us a do it yourself fix, they better let us send it tothem to fix.

FTR, my son had a iPod Shuffle that turned into a paperweight. The only difference with Apple is that they have better marketing and they cost more. Fuck Apple.

Thig Lyfe
12-31-2008, 10:15 PM
FTR, my son had a iPod Shuffle that turned into a paperweight. The only difference with Apple is that they have better marketing and they cost more. Fuck Apple.

Who the hell gets an iPod Shuffle?

Guru
12-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Who the hell gets an iPod Shuffle? Yeah, screw the people that want to save money and get affordable products. The shuffle is the only truly affordable product of the iPod brand.

Dunit35
12-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Sucks. A buddy and I work together and we both have the 30g and we both were bored as hell with nothing to listen to at work. They better get it fixed before school starts back up.

Ebolapox
12-31-2008, 11:15 PM
The Apple fanboys in this thread are not helping anything.
I have been very happy with my Zune sine I bought it 14 months ago. I only paid $99 for a 30 GB Zune. That beat the Hell out of a similar iPod at the time which would have been about $250 or $300. It has been a very solid unit since then.

Yea, there is some problem with it now, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good product. This is some fugged up glitch. If they can't give us a do it yourself fix, they better let us send it tothem to fix.

This. fuck the hype, my zune has been pure money.

Guru
01-01-2009, 01:14 AM
This. **** the hype, my zune has been pure money.My only gripe about the zune is the short battery life and lack of support for the digital movie copies available on BD disks now.

SLAG
01-01-2009, 01:29 AM
FTR

Im not an Apple Fan Boy

Mmk Thanks

Lzen
01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
My Zune is working fine today. How are yours, fellow Zune owners?

Braincase
01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I've got a 30 and an 80. Lemme check on the 30...

30 is fine. I only use it in the weight room, plugged into an Altec Lansing Zune Station. Demons & Wizards came up fine.

I figure my 80 ought to be OK.

I am very happy with the sound quality and functionality of my Zune. I can rip my own stuff and get it on there with no issues, and I haven't come across a better set of ear buds under 100 bucks.

I guess I'm just a rebel non-conformist type... I'd rather live on the edge than hang with the crowd.

Lzen
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I've got a 30 and an 80. Lemme check on the 30...

30 is fine. I only use it in the weight room, plugged into an Altec Lansing Zune Station. Demons & Wizards came up fine.

I figure my 80 ought to be OK.

I am very happy with the sound quality and functionality of my Zune. I can rip my own stuff and get it on there with no issues, and I haven't come across a better set of ear buds under 100 bucks.

I guess I'm just a rebel non-conformist type... I'd rather live on the edge than hang with the crowd.

I would just rather have a good product at a good price. Apple iPods, just like their computers, are overpriced. The reason they get away with charging what they do is great marketing.

BTW, it is only the 30 GB Zune that was affected. Did you ever use your 30 yesterday? The only thing I did was to drain the battery. Then I even pressed the power (play/pause button) several times to make sure that pretty much all power was drained. I did not try to turn it back on until this morning. When I got up today, I plugged it into my laptop for 20 -30 minutes. After awhile, the Zune screen said connected and I knew it was working properly. Of course, I disconnected from the laptop and checked it to be sure. No problems.

Mr. Kotter
01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
My Zune is working fine today. How are yours, fellow Zune owners?All 5600 songs....back. :)

Guru
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I didn't touch my zune at all yesterday. Turned it on this afternoon and it ran perfectly. Didn't have to drain it or anything. Must not have been affected at all or the fact that I didn't use it on the day everyone's screwed up saved me from the situation.

MahiMike
01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Who the hell gets an iPod Shuffle?

Me. Got 1 for the wiffy for Christmas too. Love 'em.

MahiMike
01-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I would just rather have a good product at a good price. Apple iPods, just like their computers, are overpriced. The reason they get away with charging what they do is great marketing.

BTW, it is only the 30 GB Zune that was affected. Did you ever use your 30 yesterday? The only thing I did was to drain the battery. Then I even pressed the power (play/pause button) several times to make sure that pretty much all power was drained. I did not try to turn it back on until this morning. When I got up today, I plugged it into my laptop for 20 -30 minutes. After awhile, the Zune screen said connected and I knew it was working properly. Of course, I disconnected from the laptop and checked it to be sure. No problems.

The reason they charge so much is because they're much better quality and operating systems.

Lzen
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
The reason they charge so much is because they're much better quality and operating systems.

Nonsense. They got you hook, line, and sinker.

Guru
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
The reason they charge so much is because they're much better quality and operating systems.bullshit. It's the name and you know it. If somebody came out with the exact same model but at a different price you would call it shit because it didn't have an incomplete apple logo on it.

For the record I hate both Zune and Apple for their proprietary shit practices. Make them compatible with everything available out there and quit looking for ways to make all money stream come to them. There are plenty of standard MP3 players out there that blow both away as far as standard functionality that have no limitations as to what they do.

I may own a Zune but only because it came at the right time at the right price. It is no better than an Ipod and an Ipod is no better than a Zune.

Lzen
01-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Thought this was kind of funny.

http://www.cafepress.com/ZuneBailout

Ebolapox
01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
bullshit. It's the name and you know it. If somebody came out with the exact same model but at a different price you would call it shit because it didn't have an incomplete apple logo on it.

For the record I hate both Zune and Apple for their proprietary shit practices. Make them compatible with everything available out there and quit looking for ways to make all money stream come to them. There are plenty of standard MP3 players out there that blow both away as far as standard functionality that have no limitations as to what they do.

I may own a Zune but only because it came at the right time at the right price. It is no better than an Ipod and an Ipod is no better than a Zune.

as good as my zune has been, I DO prefer my creative zen vision M... it's ALSO 30 gig, but easier interface and very good functionality.

Guru
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
The one thing they ALL need to do is have replaceable batteries that don't require you to send it in for a fee. The Apple replacement plan costs you $80. Don't know what the Zune is. I would rather the the device be slightly larger to make the battery replaceable like on a Sony PSP than be forced to have to fork over $80 for a proprietary install. The idea that you have to just get a new device when the battery runs its life is unacceptable.

Lzen
01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
as good as my zune has been, I DO prefer my creative zen vision M... it's ALSO 30 gig, but easier interface and very good functionality.

I am getting my wife a 16 GB Zen player for a late Christmas present. We have been looking around and she decided she liked that one best. She doesn't like my 30 GB Zune because its too big. She doesn't like my son's 8 GB Zune because the screen is too small. I told her she sounded like Goldie Locks.

Ebolapox
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I am getting my wife a 16 GB Zen player for a late Christmas present. We have been looking around and she decided she liked that one best. She doesn't like my 30 GB Zune because its too big. She doesn't like my son's 8 GB Zune because the screen is too small. I told her she sounded like Goldie Locks.

ha. sounds about right. my wife loves her 8 gig creative... I had a 6 gig zen micro for years, replaced it with the zune, but got a great deal on the zen vision M... I've always been a huge fan of creative's mp3 players. it's so much easier to drag/drop as opposed to using zune's software (which isn't horrible, but it's annoying at times)

KevB
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
FYI, I let my Zune 30 battery run down overnight. Plugged it in this morning to charge, and it was good to go.

Braincase
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
If you do a Google search for a Zune 30 replacement battery, you can find a replacement for about 16 bucks + shipping, and there's any number of sites that'll show you how to do it yourself. It takes a little skill, but not that much. If you can follow some simple instructions, it's easy enough to do.

Guru
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
If you do a Google search for a Zune 30 replacement battery, you can find a replacement for about 16 bucks + shipping, and there's any number of sites that'll show you how to do it yourself. It takes a little skill, but not that much. If you can follow some simple instructions, it's easy enough to do.You are missing the point. They make us have to find these solutions rather than just making their battery removable and completely replaceable like Sony PSP and Nintendo DS does. I don't care if it is a little bit thicker if I can readily change out the battery in one simple process that doesn't void the warranty.

Braincase
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
You are missing the point. They make us have to find these solutions rather than just making their battery removable and completely replaceable like Sony PSP and Nintendo DS does. I don't care if it is a little bit thicker if I can readily change out the battery in one simple process that doesn't void the warranty.

Perhaps. I'm not sweating it too much, as mines waaaaaaay out of warranty.