PDA

View Full Version : Music Who made Poison a Rock\Metal icon?

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Ok, so I am flipping channels the other night and hit "metal mania" on Vh1 right? All the sudden I see this video of Posion doing some song and of course, they look nothing like the fags they did in the 80's where they wore more makup than most women. It was a performance they were doing at a party and man they sounded like shit. So then last night during my channel flipping, I see Brett Michaels doing a TV ad for Time\Life Music for rock hits of the 80's or whatever. Once again I am ready to sling the remote at the TV for someone even aknowledging these peter-puffers, let alone making them out to be something they were the exact opposite of.

So Brett Michaels puts on a cowboy hat that is rolled up on the sides, takes on the Vince Neil biker look and all the sudden Poison is an icon of the 80's? These are the same fags that named themselves "Riki Rachet, Bobbi Dahl, C.C. DeVille"???? The same guys who drew a double take on their album cover because you could not believe a guy would intentionally put on that much makeup and hairspray and not call himself a crossdresser?!

What a shame to see what was a good era of music being represented by the same ass-fags that brought it down.

Someone please, stop this madness!!!!

seclark
01-02-2009, 09:21 AM
i agree, but every rose has it's thorn.
sec

Mecca
Poison was a pretty popular act in the 80's.....you should probably accept that they were a big seller and a staple of that era.

BigChiefFan
Hey you don't need nothin' but a good time.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Poison was a pretty popular act in the 80's.....you should probably accept that they were a big seller and a staple of that era.

They are of the ilk that ruined metal as it was.

BigRedChief
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
People that lived the history don't get to write that history. It's not about quality its about quanity of sales for some.

And remember that VH-1 has a big stake in promoting Brett Michaels. His Rock of Love shows are some of the most watched cable shows evah. And who owns those shows? VH-1 and Bret Michaels.

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Couldn't understand their popularity, them and Def Leppard [who were OK, but Jebus chicks creamed their acid washed for them]. I was more of a AC/DC, Nazareth, GnR, Maiden guy in HS

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
People that lived the history don't get to write that history. It's not about quality its about quanity of sales for some.

And remember that VH-1 has a big stake in promoting Brett Michaels. His Rock of Love shows are some of the most watched cable shows evah.

Rock of Love? Never heard of it. I am scared to even guess what it is.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Couldn't understand their popularity, them and Def Leppard [who were OK, but Jebus chicks creamed their acid washed for them]. I was more of a AC/DC, Nazareth, GnR, Maiden guy in HS

Def Leppard actually kicked ass in their early days until the whole "Pour som sugar on me" crap.

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Alternate titles;
Bret macks on skanks. WT Flava of Love.

OmahaChief
01-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Poison was a huge success in the late 80's. They are an Glam Metal Icon for sure.

Mecca

There are alot of people that still to this day loved the hair metal era.

petegz28
Brett Michales looks like a Vince Neil wanna-be, if you ask me. Only about 2 decades too late.

Baby Lee
Def Leppard actually kicked ass in their early days until the whole "Pour som sugar on me" crap.

I didn't hate DL, just shook my head at how wet they made chicks. Kind of like meeting a group of girls who have posters of Jason Alexander in their bedroom. You're like, 'he's a decent actor, but give me a break already.'

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 09:33 AM

it's where chicks cream their pants and yell BRAWTT over and over until he lets them ride on the back of his motorcycle. it's a buncha fake titted women vying for the fake affection of a disfigured himbo (complete with fake teeth and wig)

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM

ROFL

just come out and say it... you idolize brawtt michaels.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM

You're not hearing me man. I love 80's metal. But Poison was nothing more than a suck-ass glam band with make up. There were much, MUCH better hair bands than them...Ratt, Dokken, Skid Row, **** even Bon Jovi was better than these tards.

Then there were the REAL bands like, Maiden, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Juda Preist, AC\DC, Triumph, Rush, Van Halen.......

Poison+Warrant = End of a good era of music.

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
I didn't hate DL, just shook my head at how wet they made chicks. Kind of like meeting a group of girls who have posters of Jason Alexander in their bedroom. You're like, 'he's a decent actor, but give me a break already.'

who the fuck has a jason alexander poster on their wall, unless it's this one?

http://www.retrorepros.com/images/posters/thumbnails/46525.jpg

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
You're not hearing me man. I love 80's metal. But Poison was nothing more than a suck-ass glam band with make up. There were much, MUCH better hair bands than them...Ratt, Dokken, Skid Row, **** even Bon Jovi was better than these tards.

Then there were the REAL bands like, Maiden, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Juda Preist, AC\DC, Triumph, Rush, Van Halen.......

CeCe DeVille seems like a decent dude, I remember him being hilarious on Celebrity Jeopardy at one time. But as musicians, yeah, they were the imitators who came after, the pale reflections of real rockers.

Mecca

Ok the 2nd group of bands is a completely different genre...other than Motley Crue who have alot more in common with the 1st group than the 2nd group.

And if you think Poison and Warrant were the worst of the hair metal era you missed out on some real stinkers.

petegz28
it's where chicks cream their pants and yell BRAWTT over and over until he lets them ride on the back of his motorcycle. it's a buncha fake titted women vying for the fake affection of a disfigured himbo (complete with fake teeth and wig)

Yeah, oncea gain the Vince Neil ripoff act seems to be in full force.

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok the 2nd group of bands is a completely different genre...other than Motley Crue who have alot more in common with the 1st group than the 2nd group.

And if you think Poison and Warrant were the worst of the hair metal era you missed out on some real stinkers.

There's a reason Stuart wore a Warrant and Winger t-shirts. ;)

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:41 AM

They were the worst that gained an iota of recognition. We can go on down that line, L.A. Guns, Kix, Winger, White Lion (though they had 1 good song), the list goes on and on of the hair band suckage that ruined the genre they rode the coattails of.

And again, if you were going to be a hair band don't suck. Dokken was great, Ratt was great, Motley Crue was great minus Theater of Pain. These were groups that actually had some talent beyond how to use a can of Aquanet.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
CeCe DeVille seems like a decent dude, I remember him being hilarious on Celebrity Jeopardy at one time. But as musicians, yeah, they were the imitators who came after, the pale reflections of real rockers.

Oh man, he is funny and a great guy. Just keep the 6-stringer out of his hands and we are cool. :D

Mecca
01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
That was the album that had a number 1 song on it...I mean even if you hate Poison they had a #1 song which is more than a ton of artists can say.

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
That was the album that had a number 1 song on it...I mean even if you hate Poison they had a #1 song which is more than a ton of artists can say.

fuckin' mambo number five was a number one song. shit, can we go by anything OTHER than these types of numbers? goddamned baja men had a number one song.

Mecca
01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
fuckin' mambo number five was a number one song. shit, can we go by anything OTHER than these types of numbers? goddamned baja men had a number one song.

I'd take hair metal over alot of the crap of today.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Brittney Spears had a #1 hit too didn't she?

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM

well no shit. there's shitty music from ANY era. but let's not say a band is great JUST because they had a number one hit.

petegz28

I agree. Good hair metal that is. I shut the radio off when Nirvana was all the sudden the shit and the whole Seattle Grunge crap took over.

Baby Lee
****in' mambo number five was a number one song. shit, can we go by anything OTHER than these types of numbers? goddamned baja men had a number one song.

Baja Men have an effing grammy

Ebolapox
Brittney Spears had a #1 hit too didn't she?

fuck, she had several :shake:

Ebolapox
Baja Men have an effing grammy

ROFL

the party was nice, the party was jumping!

phisherman
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
you guys can give petegz crap all you want, but the dude knows hair bands.

him and i used to have this discussion all the time at work.

Mecca
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree. Good hair metal that is. I shut the radio off when Nirvana was all the sudden the shit and the whole Seattle Grunge crap took over.

Hey I like Pearl Jam....

I wasn't defending them as a good band I was saying why Poison is on a list like that. They are still one of the most recognizable and known bands of that period.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey I like Pearl Jam....

I wasn't defending them as a good band I was saying why Poison is on a list like that. They are still one of the most recognizable and known bands of that period.

This being the crux of the madness.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:51 AM
you guys can give petegz crap all you want, but the dude knows hair bands.

him and i used to have this discussion all the time at work.

BTW, I am on book 5 of the Cleric Quintet.

Mecca
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
This being the crux of the madness.

I'm not saying it's good or bad but if you mention Poison nearly everyone knows who they are.

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm not saying it's good or bad but if you mention Poison nearly everyone knows who they are.

Heeyyy! Macarena. Ahh-aightt

Brock
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Soccer moms love Poison. It isn't about how good they were.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Of ocurse. And when you used to mention Poison it was always followed by "they suck!".

These days you would think they WERE the 80's. They couldn't even write a power ballad without fucking it all up. Every Rose is more like a ballad without the "power".

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
I was a big fan. I saw them in '88 with David Lee Roth.

Kerberos
01-02-2009, 10:00 AM

I love it when you "Talk Dirty to Me".

J/K

You gotta remember it was the bubble gun (so called) metal heads and teeny boppers that made bands like Poison and Warrant and a select others icons during that era.

True metal heads know the difference.

Bands like Judas Priest, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Ozzy, and later Metallica etc. have been rocking a long time without the head dress and makeup. Even Motley Crue (once they stopped dressing like pusssys) rocked without looking like girls with problems.

BTW this is just IMO. I am not an expert on the subject whatsoever. I did live that era and survived it. (Barely)

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:01 AM
queensryche, now there's a hair band that could play.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Def Leppard actually kicked ass in their early days until the whole "Pour som sugar on me" crap.Funny. That is where they made most of their money.

Mecca
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM

That has got to be one of the most overrated bands, some people talk about them like they are this all time great band.

Mecca
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Funny. That is where they made most of their money.

Popularity and making money obviously sucks.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM

Probably the best band towards the end of it all until DeGarmo left. Operation Mindcrime was really the last phenom album of that genre. Emprie was good and all, but Operation was the flat out shizit!

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
That has got to be one of the most overrated bands, some people talk about them like they are this all time great band.

Dude, you are fucking sick. If you think the Ryche was overrated then you truly have no taste in metal at all. They had some of the most intricate harmonies, wide ranging vocals and one of the most creative drummers of any band.
They literally were a true combo of Floyd, Maiden and Rush with just enough Van Halen\Rhodes style of leads.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Funny. That is where they made most of their money.

I know. And that is when they became the sell-outs and thus began the road to suckage.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Show us your cock!!

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Too take that even further, they took the inverted chord where the power chord stopped.

phisherman
oh god, the pursed lips, on the album cover, they all look like contestants from the rock of love

BigMeatballDave
That has got to be one of the most overrated bands, some people talk about them like they are this all time great band.I agree. One-hit-wonders. Silent lucidity came out like 18 years ago...

Kerberos
Show us your cock!!

Stop stealing GoChiefs line.

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Too take that even further, they took the inverted chord where the power chord stopped.

while i'm not the biggest Queensryche fan around, even back then it was pretty apparent that they were more about substance, less about flash.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Show us your cock!!

God damn man, one is even winking and blowing a kiss.....how fucking gay does it get?

Motley Crue's makeup never went to this extent. They were trying to be Kiss, but not really.

These fags look like they are ready to french the mail man.LMAO

Brock
01-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Queensryche were very very talented, they just didn't model themselves as some kind of top 40 band.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I agree. One-hit-wonders. Silent lucidity came out like 18 years ago...

What about Operation Mindcrime? Silent Lucidity was at the end of Queensryche's run and hardly what I would consider their best material.

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
What about Operation Mindcrime? Silent Lucidity was at the end of Queensryche's run and hardly what I would consider their best material.

he forgot to tell you, he doesn't know any of Queensryche's matierial, except for Silent Lucidity..

he was too busy rocking out to Ace of Base

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:14 AM
he forgot to tell you, he doesn't know any of Queensryche's matierial, except for Silent Lucidity..

he was too busy rocking out to Ace of Base

The original Operation Livecrime has to be one of the best live performances I have ever seen for any genre of music.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Dude, you are ****ing sick. If you think the Ryche was overrated then you truly have no taste in metal at all. They had some of the most intricate harmonies, wide ranging vocals and one of the most creative drummers of any band.
They literally were a true combo of Floyd, Maiden and Rush with just enough Van Halen\Rhodes style of leads.

The Ryche??ROFL

They weren't over-rated because they were never really highly rated.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
They were a good band though, I'm not saying they weren't.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I know. And that is when they became the sell-outs and thus began the road to suckage.Not even. The industry changed. They changed. I have all their stuff. None of thoes '80s glam bands could compete with the Seattle grunge scene. Music styles change. I'm 38. I listen to everything. I love all the 80's stuff. I enjoy Nurvana and a few other grunge bands. My current favorite bands are Disturbed and Tool. I like alot of top 40 music too.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
The Ryche??ROFL

They weren't over-rated because they were never really highly rated.

Dude, go stick your winky in the doorjamb and slam the door several times.

I am sure Casey Kasem never had them on Q104's American Top 40, if that is what you mean.

ChiefsOne
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Queensryche was pretty damn good, Mind Crime was an awesome album.

Hell I liked most of the stuff for the 80's and still do, but that Poison cover is awful and I even like some of their songs.

petegz28
Not even. The industry changed. They changed. I have all their stuff. None of thoes '80s glam bands could compete with the Seattle grunge scene. Music styles change. I'm 38. I listen to everything. I love all the 80's stuff. I enjoy Nurvana and a few other grunge bands. My current favorite bands are Disturbed and Tool. I like alot of top 40 music too.

Thus my "sell-out" statement.

Darth CarlSatan

Can you say "Firehouse and Danger-Danger: Sucking Through The World Tour"?

"I finally found the saaaaaack of a lifetime"...:Lin:

morphius
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm never sure which amuses me more, the people that list bands like Poison as metal, or the people that really get pissed off they people consider them metal. I never liked them, and thought someone should have been shot for that crappy unskinnny bop song and video. Just think of hair bands as gateway bands, you could take them and go heavier metal or you could slide back out and go back into pop music.

Though nothing cracked me up like the music industry pushing alternative bands, and they wonder why sales have been so crappy for years. Lets push a genre that rebels against being popular, so that as soon as someone gets almost popular they must be hated and the fans leave. Brilliant!

Mecca
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Winky ok I haven't heard that in awhile....

Disturbed huh...I'm more of a Sevendust fan personally.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM

You are correct. I don't know of any Queensrych's music. Silent Lucidity was a good tune. Other than that, I couldn't point anything of theirs out to you.

Mecca
I'm never sure which amuses me more, the people that list bands like Poison as metal, or the people that really get pissed off they people consider them metal. I never liked them, and thought someone should have been shot for that crappy unskinnny bop song and video. Just think of hair bands as gateway bands, you could take them and go heavier metal or you could slide back out and go back into pop music.

Though nothing cracked me up like the music industry pushing alternative bands, and they wonder why sales have been so crappy for years. Lets push a genre that rebels against being popular, so that as soon as someone gets almost popular they must be hated and the fans leave. Brilliant!

It's funny because hair metal is a genre to itself it is not anything like actual metal.

petegz28
Can you say "Firehouse and Danger-Danger: Sucking Through The World Tour"?

"I finally found the saaaaaack of a lifetime"...:Lin:

:LOL:

OMG I totally forgout about Firehouse........and how can we forget Cinderlla and Britney Fox?????? LMAO

Darth CarlSatan

I am sure Casey Kasem never had them on Q104's American Top 40, if that is what you mean.

Artistic Zenith = Rage For Order.

Greatest Commercial Success = Mindcrime.

Complete Fucking Disappointment = Empire.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Though nothing cracked me up like the music industry pushing alternative bands, and they wonder why sales have been so crappy for years. Lets push a genre that rebels against being popular, so that as soon as someone gets almost popular they must be hated and the fans leave. Brilliant!I was a fan, but I agree. I don't refer to them as metal. I call them Hair bands, or Glam bands.

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
You are correct. I don't know of any Queensrych's music. Silent Lucidity was a good tune. Other than that, I couldn't point anything of theirs out to you.

thus confirming that your knowledge of current music consists of stuff that is spoon fed to you on the radio.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:25 AM

I do not, and have never listened to top 40s music.

I'm not bashing Queensryche.

Mecca

OMG I totally forgout about Firehouse........and how can we forget Cinderlla and Britney Fox?????? LMAO

It's pretty much impossible to avoid that stupid don't know what you got till it's gone song.

morphius
It's funny because hair metal is a genre to itself it is not anything like actual metal.
Yup, it was only considered metal by people that considered anything heavier than the Beatles as metal. At the time I considered it hard rock.

Darth CarlSatan

Actually, and you'll just have to take my word for it, Britney Fox was a MUCH better band than Cinderella, and if they had come out first they would have been acknowledged as such.

I hear a couple of their tunes now and again, and if you can get the ridiculous image of them out of your head; it's pretty solid rock and roll.

petegz28
Artistic Zenith = Rage For Order.

Greatest Commercial Success = Mindcrime.

Complete ****ing Disappointment = Empire.

I'll disagree and say that Mindcrime was the Zenith. Dude, that whole fucking album rocked ass. And for it being a concept album at that.....

Let's just say Operation Mindcrime is in a class all by itself and it is WAY the fuck up high on the totem of rockability!

Baby Lee
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM

If I have to come out of another upbeat number with a gotdammed death dedication . . . Ponderous, man.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Thus the point I was making.

BigMeatballDave
Thus my "sell-out" statement.I hate that argument. Times change. Music styles change. If an artist wants to survive, they need to roll with the changes. I don't fault any band that does that. Isn't the whole premise of a rock star to make and sell music?

petegz28
Actually, and you'll just have to take my word for it, Britney Fox was a MUCH better band than Cinderella, and if they had come out first they would have been acknowledged as such.

I hear a couple of their tunes now and again, and if you can get the ridiculous image of them out of your head; it's pretty solid rock and roll.

Dude, the lead singers of both bands sounded the same.....

in my best scream\singing tone...
LONG WAY....LOING WAY TO LO-OVE!!!!

repeat same guitar riff over and over and over and over and over and over and over

phisherman
Thus the point I was making.

so are you saying that the only "good" music is what gets played on the radio?

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I hate that argument. Times change. Music styles change. If an artist wants to survive, they need to roll with the changes. I don't fault any band that does that. Isn't the whole premise of a rock star to make and sell music?

Yes, music styles change. You can write what sounds good or you can write what sells.

Baby Lee
Isn't the whole premise of a rock star to make and sell music?
That's certainly the whole premise of a sellout. ;)

phisherman
I hate that argument. Times change. Music styles change. If an artist wants to survive, they need to roll with the changes. I don't fault any band that does that. Isn't the whole premise of a rock star to make and sell music?

newsflash for you, some people truly enjoy making music.

some people will fart into a microphone if someone told them it would sell records.

the former is a musician, the latter is a sellout.

morphius
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I was a fan, but I agree. I don't refer to them as metal. I call them Hair bands, or Glam bands.
Yup, I liked a lot of music from that genre, though Poison was always one I just couldn't stand. I took a quick peek at my mp3's sitting on my machine here at work and I think the only hair band music that made it here are GnR and Skid Row.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
newsflash for you, some people truly enjoy making music.

some people will fart into a microphone if someone told them it would sell records.

the former is a musician, the latter is a sellout.

This.....

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
so are you saying that the only "good" music is what gets played on the radio?

Absolutely not. I never said that Queensryche wasn't good. Just that they weren't over-rated because the were never that highly regarded.

What is with the reading comprehension around here?

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Absolutely not. I never said that Queensryche wasn't good. Just that they weren't over-rated because the were never that highly regarded.

But they were highly regarded. Just not by Billboard's Top 40. That is what we are trying to tell you.

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM

i'd say the term "highly regarded" is a pretty objective one eh?

i know quite a few musicians that held queensryche in very high regard.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Best "Rock and Roll" voice out of the whole 80's slew:

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/images/WASP_Band2.GIF

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMJ-A1n951Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMJ-A1n951Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Case in point on sellingout...

Who stopped listening to the Oz when "Momma I'm Coming Home" started getting played every hour on the radio?

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMJ-A1n951Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMJ-A1n951Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nothing more "metal" than a codpiece that shoots fire...
long live blackie lawless!!

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Dude, WASP kicked ass in their early days. I saw them open up for Kiss ..that was my very first rock concert. And they fucking jammed!

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
But they were highly regarded. Just not by Billboard's Top 40. That is what we are trying to tell you.

Your talking about fukin record sales. I'm talkin about how they're percieved. Guess what. The majority of the poulation doesn't give shit about Queensryche. You listed them with bands such as Floyd, Rush, Halen etc.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but no one outside of Queesryche fans includes them with these guys in any way shape or form. Do you understand?

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Your talking about fukin record sales. I'm talkin about how they're percieved. Guess what. The majority of the poulation doesn't give shit about Queensryche. You listed them with bands such as Floyd, Rush, Halen etc.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but no one outside of Queesryche fans includes them with these guys in any way shape or form. Do you understand?

i like the way you're speaking for the entire world here.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM

I understand, you have no clue.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
And then it got "two steps removed from New Kids on the Block":

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EWWU4RFxjs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EWWU4RFxjs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Appetite for destruction.

Kneel.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Tell me these ****ers suck....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UKnR9fBC4Tk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UKnR9fBC4Tk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
These two are my Ultimate Ultimate Gargantuan Douche Picks:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdsrK9brWyU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdsrK9brWyU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXoRh5VEZl0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXoRh5VEZl0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Appetite for destruction.

Kneel.

how appropo.
just curious, do you listen to anything that doesn't get significant radio play?

that's not to knock GnR, they're definitely a great band

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Why do people get pissy when you don't care about or don't share the same opinion about their favorite kind of music. I know alot of people, like my GF makes fun of me for the 80's stuff I listen to. I don't care. To each his own. Why should anyone give a flying fuck if I don't know anything about Queensryche? This thread started out about bashing Poison. I was a fan. I like their old stuff. Alot of people do not. WHO GIVES A SHIT?!

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I understand, you have no clue.

Dude it's obvious you're a huge Queensryche fan.

Great music has a way of spreading. Do you really think you're average person knows more that 1!! fuckin QR song? If you do, you're fooling yourself.
And if you bitches are putting QR in the same sentence as Pink Floyd you're just a couple of KC Johnny's for Queensryche.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM

:deevee:
Get over yourself...

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
how appropo.
just curious, do you listen to anything that doesn't get significant radio play?

that's not to knock GnR, they're definitely a great band

My favorite band right now is Black Label Society. Do you ever hear them on the radio?

petegz28

Great music has a way of spreading. Do you really think you're average person knows more that 1!! ****in QR song? If you do, you're fooling yourself.
And if you bitches are putting QR in the same sentence as Pink Floyd you're just a couple of KC Johnny's for Queensryche.

Perhaps instead of making judgments about music you have admitted you have never listened too, you should shut your mouth and open your ears.

phisherman

Great music has a way of spreading. Do you really think you're average person knows more that 1!! ****in QR song? If you do, you're fooling yourself.

i think it's more likely that you're speaking for everyone elses music tastes when you know jack s**t about what everyone else likes.

so what, you don't like queensryche, i get that.

just don't tell me how everyone else feels about them.

phisherman
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
My favorite band right now is Black Label Society. Do you ever hear them on the radio?

i actually have heard them on 98.9 a time or two.

however, i don't think anyone would've heard of zakk wylde if it weren't for him playing on several of Ozzy's more radio-friendly albums/songs.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UKnR9fBC4Tk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UKnR9fBC4Tk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I would like to know who said they suck?

morphius
01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Case in point on sellingout...

Who stopped listening to the Oz when "Momma I'm Coming Home" started getting played every hour on the radio?
Ozzy always had some slower songs that reminded me a bit of the mama song, so it didn't really change my opinion on him at all. But of course I'm not negatively effected if bands I like become popular either.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
i think it's more likely that you're speaking for everyone elses music tastes when you know jack s**t about what everyone else likes.

so what, you don't like queensryche, i get that.

just don't tell me how everyone else feels about them.

It's common sense. Won't you ask someone close to you to name a QR song.

Appetite for destruction crushed the world for a reason. Because the music is undeniable.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
More non-top 40......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1CoN-q3LP0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1CoN-q3LP0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Perhaps instead of making judgments about music you have admitted you have never listened too, you should shut your mouth and open your ears.

Jesus man I NEVER said it was bad. I've head a lot of their stuff.

Is is Pink fuqing Floyd? Hell No.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
i like the way you're speaking for the entire world here.
I gotta tell ya, in all my years, I have not met a single person who said their favorite bad was Queenryche. The fact is, most people have 'heard' of them. Thats it. Enjoy them, they seem to be your favorite. I think Silent lucidity was/is a good song. It just wasn't good enough for me to go searching through their entire library. I wasn't a fan of Tool until '01. I heard Lateralus, then I was hooked. I like most of their stuff now. In my circle of friends, I'm the only one who likes Tool. Everyone else just says they are OK. I don't attack them for it.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Perhaps instead of making judgments about music you have admitted you have never listened too, you should shut your mouth and open your ears.LMAO

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Jesus man I NEVER said it was bad. I've head a lot of their stuff.

Is is Pink fuqing Floyd? Hell No.

No one said they were Floyd. If you are referrencing my post, I said their playstyle was Floydish among others.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
More non-top 40......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1CoN-q3LP0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1CoN-q3LP0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah. Iron Maiden. Non top 40s. Right.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah. Iron Maiden. Non top 40s. Right.

What Maiden song was on American Top 40?:LOL:

did Bruce do a duet with Lionel Richie and I missed it????? ROFL

Demonpenz
01-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I am not into this cock measuring contest against rock and roll and shit. All that matters is my cerwin vega's my double tape deck and my w.a.s.p back from the hive tape baybeeee. Pop in some R.C. Pro am on a friday night. F yeah man. That's how to get down

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
For some people who rememberd Metallica when they were good!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYKh85Leq_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYKh85Leq_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Just watched it. That's a pretty gay rock opera if you ask me.

Ebolapox
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I am not into this cock measuring contest against rock and roll and shit. All that matters is my cerwin vega's my double tape deck and my w.a.s.p back from the hive tape baybeeee. Pop in some R.C. Pro am on a friday night. F yeah man. That's how to get down

ROFL

it's not a rock and roll thread until the penz shows up and rocks the shit.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
What Maiden song was on American Top 40?:LOL:

did Bruce do a duet with Lionel Richie and I missed it????? ROFL

Bwaa ha ha.

http://top40-charts.com/artist.php?aid=2114

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Just watched it. That's a pretty gay rock opera if you ask me.

Maybe you would like them better if they put on makeup and a ton of hairspray!

ROFL

phisherman
01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Bwaa ha ha.

http://top40-charts.com/artist.php?aid=2114

not to knock holes in that, but only two of those albums charted in the USA, and i'm thinking (based on the albums, dance of death and a matter of life and death) that no individual singles/songs made the list. since pete's post said "What Maiden song was on American Top 40?" i don't see how your post answers that.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Ozzy always had some slower songs that reminded me a bit of the mama song, so it didn't really change my opinion on him at all. But of course I'm not negatively effected if bands I like become popular either.

Goodbye to Romance, Revelation Mother Earth,Dee, Tonight, So Tired, Killer of Giants?

Yes, all much better than Momma, that is for sure.

I was referring to the fact that you rarely ever heard Ozzy on the radio prior to Momma.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
not to knock holes in that, but only two of those albums charted in the USA, and i'm thinking (based on the albums, dance of death and a matter of life and death) that no individual singles/songs made the list. since pete's post said "What Maiden song was on American Top 40?" i don't see how your post answers that.

That may be true, but my post never included "American". Anyway, are we gonna argue that Iron Maiden is not one of the most successful, and recognizable bands of their era.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Maybe you would like them better if they put on makeup and a ton of hairspray!

ROFL

I was never a fan of poison.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
That may be true, but my post never included "American". Anyway, are we gonna argue that Iron Maiden is not one of the most successful, and recognizable bands of their era.

Actually I did say American Top 40.

morphius
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Goodbye to Romance, Revelation Mother Earth,Dee, Tonight, So Tired, Killer of Giants?

Yes, all much better than Momma, that is for sure.

I was referring to the fact that you rarely ever heard Ozzy on the radio prior to Momma.
And that was a reason to stop listening to him, because he was on the radio too much?

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
And that was a reason to stop listening to him, because he was on the radio too much?

No, it was a sign of where he was heading. And sadly I feel I was right.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Exactly. He lost all of his talent because someone decided to play his song in the ever so repetative 400. I understand that the radio kills good music, but it doesn't make Ozzy a sell out because someone else decided they wanted to play his song over, and over.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I was never a fan of poison.

I wa thinking more along the lines of Lita Ford, for you.

/just giving you shit

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
No, it was a sign of where he was heading. And sadly I feel I was right.

I'm sorry to tell you, but Ozzy has been chasing fame, and fortune ever since he left BS.

petegz28
Exactly. He lost all of his talent because someone decided to play his song in the ever so repetative 400. I understand that the radio kills good music, but it doesn't make Ozzy a sell out because someone else decided they wanted to play his song over, and over.

He became a sell-out.

beach tribe
I wa thinking more along the lines of Lita Ford, for you.

/just giving you shit

"If I close my eyes forever"

Another example that Ozzy was who he is loooong before Momma came out.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry to tell you, but Ozzy has been chasing fame, and fortune ever since he left BS.

We'll disagree there.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
"If I close my eyes forever"

Another example that Ozzy was who he is loooong before Momma came out.

He did that to help her out more than anything.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
We'll disagree there.

We'll always disagree on a lot. I like hard charging Rock n Roll, and you like Rock opera balladry, but that's OK.

beach tribe
01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
He did that to help her out more than anything.

Cause you know all about it.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
We'll always disagree on a lot. I like hard charging Rock n Roll, and you like Rock opera balladry, but that's OK.

Rock opera balladry? You really haven't been paying much attention, obviously.

And to be brutaly honest, it is much harder to write a killer power-ballad than it is to slam 16th and 32nd note pedal tones with the occasional 2 or 3 powerd chords thrown in.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Cause you know all about it.

Wow, you knew how everyone felt about Queensryche supposedly, yet someone may not know anything about Ozzy?

Now you're just being a tard.

MOhillbilly
01-02-2009, 11:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4BakZvAZE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJ-A1n951Y

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4BakZvAZE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJ-A1n951Y

You WASP lovers keep skipping over one of their best songs...imo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46NvrACyZxQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46NvrACyZxQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Had to throw this one in ..classic 80's rock that jammed...and to quote Vince from Sham-Wow...."The Germans always make good stuff"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3cc39bU4GZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3cc39bU4GZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MOhillbilly
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46NvrACyZxQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>
it was all buttrock to me bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcNU-0v8YQ

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
</P>

God damn dude, I swear I just left the San Fernando valley after listening to that...lol

And no, San Fernando does not mean "a whale's vagina". That would be San Diego.

MOhillbilly
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
God damn dude, I swear I just left the San Fernando valley after listening to that...lol

found this lil jem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpluTB0-wc4

DT58HOF
01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I wasn't in to Metal/Rock growing up in the 80's but now that i listen to it, it all sounds better to me then what people do today.
I think these groups did alot better on the slow songs than the bands do today.
I didn't like any of these groups because of what they dressed like, but hey i was a jock in school and also went to a catholic school that was known for sports so dressing up and checking out what they wore was pretty funny to me, and a dude wearing makeup?lol

petegz28
01-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I wasn't in to Metal/Rock growing up in the 80's but now that i listen to it, it all sounds better to me then what people do today.
I think these groups did alot better on the slow songs than the bands do today.
I didn't like any of these groups because of what they dressed like, but hey i was a jock in school and also went to a catholic school that was known for sports so dressing up and checking out what they wore was pretty funny to me, and a dude wearing makeup?lol

I have to admit, looking back the way everyone dressed then, preps, jocks, metalheads, punk...was all kinda funny.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Had to throw this one in ..classic 80's rock that jammed...and to quote Vince from Sham-Wow...."The Germans always make good stuff"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3cc39bU4GZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3cc39bU4GZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>As great as this was, I loved the Scorpions, BTW, even they went a little POPish into the 90's..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57CzNqgm8Fc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57CzNqgm8Fc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 12:09 PM

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46NvrACyZxQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Classic.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
As great as this was, I loved the Scorpions, BTW, even they went a little POPish into the 90's..

Yes, they did, sadly.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM

I bought 'Balboa Fun Zone' used at Recycled Sounds back in the day; great record.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
The 80'? You had to be there to appreciate it.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Off the topic-genre, I know...but I had to put this out there for Palmer, since I know how much of a big Lacua Coil fan he is ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMn0UcdFX9k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMn0UcdFX9k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
anything where the drummer blows a kiss to the camera

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Can't forget this Gem:

Side-note; if you don't want embedding, DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CHANNEL ASSHOLE!!!!
Grrrrr.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAui2NXou0

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Uh no they werent.. It was the grunge bullshit that come out with Narvina and that shit...

Best thing ever was when that dude offed himself with a shotgun... THANKFULLY!

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I have to admit, looking back the way everyone dressed then, preps, jocks, metalheads, punk...was all kinda funny.

We have seen Poison a couple of times in the last few years, they put on a great show...

If you dont like rock, better stay away from Rocklahoma...

petegz28
01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
We have seen Poison a couple of times in the last few years, they put on a great show...

If you dont like rock, better stay away from Rocklahoma...

I love rock. WTF does that have to do with Posion? They suck major cock.

Id' rather watch ****ing Journey than Poison.........sssttteeeEEEEVE PERRY!

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Went and saw Journey and Def Leppard last year here in OKC... Both acts were pretty solid... No Perry by the way...

BTW, they sold out their night at rocklahoma in 2007, no one else came close to them....

Deberg_1990
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM

I still enjoy listening to that music on occasion. I grew up during that era. I dont worship it or go to any of the concerts though.

I realize that music isnt very deep, but it was fun and still is.

Some people just need to relax.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Went and saw Journey and Def Leppard last year here in OKC... Both acts were pretty solid... No Perry by the way...

BTW, they sold out their night at rocklahoma in 2007, no one else came close to them....

Yea, I saw Journey a few years ago when Frampton OPENED for them. I still have problems saying that with a straight face.

But they were good and the new singer wasn't much different from Perry, though when it counted you could tell he wasn't Stevey P.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 01:14 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

"Oh Sherry, my dong is long; hold on, hold on"...:evil:

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Let the Utter Contempt and Hatred FLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW Through You, Boy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-ZbJ1eH4xs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-ZbJ1eH4xs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XZHVkJ1wVFM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XZHVkJ1wVFM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Let the Utter Contempt and Hatred FLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW Through You, Boy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-ZbJ1eH4xs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-ZbJ1eH4xs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XZHVkJ1wVFM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XZHVkJ1wVFM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

White leatherpants and kneepads are a perfect fit for a guy names Jani!!!

bishop_74
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Oklahoma and 80's Hair Bands... sounds about right.

OtisJohnson
01-02-2009, 04:04 PM
"I was referring to the fact that you rarely ever heard Ozzy on the radio prior to Momma."

You're kidding right ? Iron Man and Paranoid were both heavy airplay songs and Shot in the Dark was a huge radio hit all long before "Momma"

petegz28
01-02-2009, 04:08 PM
"I was referring to the fact that you rarely ever heard Ozzy on the radio prior to Momma."

You're kidding right ? Iron Man and Paranoid were both heavy airplay songs and Shot in the Dark was a huge radio hit all long before "Momma"

Iron Man and Paranoid are Black Sabbath songs.

OtisJohnson
01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Iron Man and Paranoid are Black Sabbath songs.

Yeah which is kinda what Ozzy did before the Blizzard ......

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
White leatherpants and kneepads are a perfect fit for a guy names Jani!!!

Warrant and Jani Lane put on a great show at last years rocklahoma...

Very solid!

Winger rocked the place in 07... Reb Beech is sick on the six string...

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Oklahoma and 80's Hair Bands... sounds about right.

They had people from all across the globe in 07.. 08 not so much, with SwedenRock and Rock on the Bayou....

This year is supposed to be the best of the 3 so far...

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Ozzy was great, but now these so called shit rock stations that play the same Ozzy songs over and over and over and over...

I am sick of Ozzy...

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 05:19 PM

I've heard Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, and Over The Mountain 8 bajillion fucking times on the Rock before "Muumu".

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I've heard Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, and Over The Mountain 8 bajillion ****ing times on the Rock before "Muumu".

I am a big fan of "the ulitmate sin" CD, but I am also a big fan of Jake E Lee.

That is my favorite ozzy album....

Whomever this assclown that is playing lead for Ozzy now is crap.. Every song sound the same.. And he even fucks up the older ozzy songs with his shitty style...

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Whomever this assclown that is playing lead for Ozzy now is crap.. Every song sound the same.. And he even fucks up the older ozzy songs with his shitty style...

This.
Zakk Wylde has done pretty much every studio album with Ozzy since whatever came after 'Ultimate Sin'.
Zakk's a great guitar player, but he wasn't to happy playing on "Down To Earth" because the songs were written by other people from other bands, Dave Grohl being one of them.

petegz28
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I've heard Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, and Over The Mountain 8 bajillion ****ing times on the Rock before "Muumu".

In Kansas City? When? Where? Are we talking during the 106.5 KCI days where we were treated to real music on rock block weekends?

petegz28
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Whomever this assclown that is playing lead for Ozzy now is crap.. Every song sound the same.. And he even ****s up the older ozzy songs with his shitty style...

I saw Jake on the Ultimate Ozzy tour, April 1, 1986 and Metallica opened up for them.

He ripped one of the most amazing guitar solos I have ever seen. Used 10 fingers, truly. 5 on the fretboard. And I do not mean he wrapped his thumb around the neck, he had it on the fretboard like his other 4 fingers. It was very, very impressive.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
In Kansas City? When? Where? Are we talking during the 106.5 KCI days where we were treated to real music on rock block weekends?

98.9, and since the day it opened shop in 1989( I think? )

I assume you're referring to the "place your antennae here, while assuming crazy Twisters positions to pick up" Z-Rock?

Sample of Z-Rock airtime:

"Take a ride on the Wild S-xxzzxzzzzzzzxzxzxzxzxzzzzzzzzxzxzxzxzxz"

"Breaking up a heart of-ssssssssssxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsxsxsxsxssssssssssssxsx"

"zxzxzxzxzxz-Lack Out in t-xzxzxzxxxzzzxxRed Rooooooo-vxcxcxfvxvxcz"

ROFL:D:evil:

petegz28
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
98.9, and since the day it opened shop in 1989( I think? )

I assume you're referring to the "place your antennae here, while assuming crazy Twisters positions to pick up" Z-Rock?

Sample of Z-Rock airtime:

"Take a ride on the Wild S-xxzzxzzzzzzzxzxzxzxzxzzzzzzzzxzxzxzxzxz"

"Breaking up a heart of-ssssssssssxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsxsxsxsxssssssssssssxsx"

"zxzxzxzxzxz-Lack Out in t-xzxzxzxxxzzzxxRed Rooooooo-vxcxcxfvxvxcz"

ROFL:D:evil:

No, I am talking baout the old 106.5 KCI. I hated Z-Rock cause it was AM.

Darth CarlSatan
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
No, I am talking baout the old 106.5 KCI. I hated Z-Rock cause it was AM.

Guess I just don't remember.

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I saw Jake on the Ultimate Ozzy tour, April 1, 1986 and Metallica opened up for them.

He ripped one of the most amazing guitar solos I have ever seen. Used 10 fingers, truly. 5 on the fretboard. And I do not mean he wrapped his thumb around the neck, he had it on the fretboard like his other 4 fingers. It was very, very impressive.

:hail:

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
:hail:

Ah, big deal.

I was there, too. MTV filmed the "Ultimate Sin" concert and it was annoying with the camera on the sliding truss going back and forth all night. It was totally distracting.

Of course Backstage Passes made the night much easier do deal with. :evil:

And Metallica was as loud as FUCK. To this day, I've never been in any venue, small or large, where the band was as loud as they were that day.

Furthermore, they were mind-blowingly cool.

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Ah, big deal.

I was there, too. MTV filmed the "Ultimate Sin" concert and it was annoying with the camera on the sliding truss going back and forth all night. It was totally distracting.

And Metallica was as loud as ****. To this day, I've never been in any venue, small or large, where the band was as loud as they were that day.

Sweet Deal....

I have seen alot of bands in the last 3 years... Just about anybody who was anybody in the 80's.... Including Lita Ford...

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Sweet Deal....

I have seen alot of bands in the last 3 years... Just about anybody who was anybody in the 80's.... Including Lita Ford...

Well, you DO live in Oklahoma.

That's about the only place left those people have to play.

LMAO

Reerun_KC
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, you DO live in Oklahoma.

That's about the only place left those people have to play.

LMAO

Fair enough...

They started a new big multi day concert in Louisiania somewhere and another one in Sweden..

I tried to ask the wife if the kids and I could go to sweden for it this year instead of Rocklahoma...

She said no go! :cuss:

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Ah, big deal.

And Metallica was as loud as ****. To this day, I've never been in any venue, small or large, where the band was as loud as they were that day.

And the rumor was, Ozzy had them turn down from what they wanted to play. Just the rumor.

Bowser
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM

*picturing pete lovingly cuddeling his Trixter and Blue Murder cd's*

petegz28
01-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Never owned either.

Reerun_KC
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Trixter played at Rocklahoma 08, They rocked pretty good...

Bowser
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Trixter played at Rocklahoma 08, They rocked pretty good...

Speaking of which, how was Tesla? And did you and your buddy get those mullet wigs?

Reerun_KC
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Speaking of which, how was Tesla? And did you and your buddy get those mullet wigs?

ROFL I totally forgot about the mullet wigs... But the mullet was well represented there...

Telsa was awesome... I was so surprised, they have a great stage presence... They sounded clean and precise... Very good show, one of the better ones during the venue....

DeepPurple
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
...And Metallica was as loud as ****. To this day, I've never been in any venue, small or large, where the band was as loud as they were that day.

I've been to many shows in the 80's and the loudest for me was Def Leppard, Krokus and Gary Moore together in Savannah, GA. My head hurt for three days afterwards.

Gary Moore did his own singing and did a fantastic version of "End of the World" from the Cooridors of Power album. Krokus was touring for the "Head Hunter" album and also put on a good show. The crowd was psyched for Leppard because "Pyromania" was #1, so any lame opening act would of gotten booed.

Speaking of opening acts, that same summer in Savannah, I believe it was 1984, I saw the Scorpions on the "Love at First Sting" tour. Same setup, their album was #1, however this time the opening act was the unknown Bon Jovi. They had a minor hit on the radio at the time, "She's just a Runway", and they couldn't get to it fast enough to get off the stage, the crowd kept chanting for the Scorpions.

Runner-up for loudest was in 1980, it was Journey on the Departure album with the Babys opening. John Waite and the Babys were cool, but Journey had to be the highest pitched show I ever heard, I had that hi-frequency hum in my head the whole show. They were a good energetic show, but Steve Perry's voice combined with Neil Schon's guitar was just too hi-pitched.

I always preferred the Euro style bands going back to Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple in the 70's. The California hair metal bands of the 80's all seemed to have the same generic singer, and the vocals was usually my main attraction to any hard rock band.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I've been to many shows in the 80's and the loudest for me was Def Leppard, Krokus and Gary Moore together in Savannah, GA. My head hurt for three days afterwards.

Gary Moore did his own singing and did a fantastic version of "End of the World" from the Cooridors of Power album. Krokus was touring for the "Head Hunter" album and also put on a good show. The crowd was psyched for Leppard because "Pyromania" was #1, so any lame opening act would of gotten booed.

Speaking of opening acts, that same summer in Savannah, I believe it was 1984, I saw the Scorpions on the "Love at First Sting" tour. Same setup, their album was #1, however this time the opening act was the unknown Bon Jovi. They had a minor hit on the radio at the time, "She's just a Runway", and they couldn't get to it fast enough to get off the stage, the crowd kept chanting for the Scorpions.

Runner-up for loudest was in 1980, it was Journey on the Departure album with the Babys opening. John Waite and the Babys were cool, but Journey had to be the highest pitched show I ever heard, I had that hi-frequency hum in my head the whole show. They were a good energetic show, but Steve Perry's voice combined with Neil Schon's guitar was just too hi-pitched.

A lot of what you experienced had to do with bad acoustic environments, not necessarily the "loudness" of the band. Most "arenas" and civic centers are absolutely horrible acoustically and many frequencies bounce around like a basketball, causing headaches and high-end frequencies screeching the ears.

You obviously witnessed some great shows, nonetheless!

I always preferred the Euro style bands going back to Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple in the 70's. The California hair metal bands of the 80's all seemed to have the same generic singer, and the vocals was usually my main attraction to any hard rock band.

QFT.

All of the L.A. singers after David Lee Roth tried to look like him as well. I know that a lot of people are very fond of Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, Warrant, etc., but I for one absolutely LOVED the onslaught of the "Seattle Sound", Soundgarden & AIC in particular.

I was never a fan of "hair metal".

PunkinDrublic
01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Seriously did you expect VH-1 to profile your favorite underground metal act? Is it worth getting that bent out of shape for? I'm enjoying this top 100 hard rock songs of all time, but it is what it is. It's VH-1 what do you expect.

PunkinDrublic
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
A lot of what you experienced had to do with bad acoustic environments, not necessarily the "loudness" of the band. Most "arenas" and civic centers are absolutely horrible acoustically and many frequencies bounce around like a basketball, causing headaches and high-end screeching of the ears.

You obviously witnessed some great shows, nonetheless!

QFT.

All of the L.A. singers after David Lee Roth tried to look like him as well. I know that a lot of people are very fond of Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, Warrant, etc., but I for one absolutely LOVED the onslaught of the "Seattle Sound", Soundgarden & AIC in particular.

I was never a fan of "hair metal".

Grunge or not all of that hair metal had a short shelf life and wasn't going to last anyway. It's fun to listen to for shits and giggles for a good laugh though. Everybody outside of oklahoma laughs at rocklahoma.

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Ah, big deal.

And Metallica was as loud as FUCK. To this day, I've never been in any venue, small or large, where the band was as loud as they were that day.

Did you get to meet Dweezil? Did you get to meet Dweezil? Did you get to meet Dweezil? :D

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM

ROFLROFLROFL Well, since you went there:

The warbling videotape makes it even MORE listenable!

Ongoing band prank: Other members steal drummer's Pantene Conditioner for one year straight!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGF_LbOiHTU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGF_LbOiHTU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Did you get to meet Dweezil? Did you get to meet Dweezil? Did you get to meet Dweezil? :D

I've met both Dweezil and Ahmet. They're nice guys, really down-to-earth.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Grunge or not all of that hair metal had a short shelf life and wasn't going to last anyway. It's fun to listen to for shits and giggles for a good laugh though. Everybody outside of oklahoma laughs at rocklahoma.

Most "sub-genre's" usually have a shelf life of 5 years. A few hit songs may stick around but just as "New Wave" and "Hair Metal" and "Grunge" and "Rap-Rock" died a quick death, the superstars of the period usually remain superstars.

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Ohhhhh.....that Jamie Lee Curtis-lookin' motherfucker!

"Love will fiiind a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy"....:mad:

DIE DIE DIE!!!!!:cuss:

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I've met both Dweezil and Ahmet. They're nice guys, really down-to-earth.

Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?! Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?! Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?!

She was in the video you know!

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?! Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?! Did you get to meet the brunette on the album cover with the red eyes and big boobs?!

She was in the video you know!

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that cover. Who's the girl?

I've met and hung out with them separately, though it's been several years.

The last time I ran into Ahmet, he was with Rose McGowan.

Wowza! :evil:

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Couldn't understand their popularity, them and Def Leppard [who were OK, but Jebus chicks creamed their acid washed for them]. I was more of a AC/DC, Nazareth, GnR, Maiden guy in HSGreat point. Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, GnR were great in the 80's.

Dylan
01-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Who made Poison a Rock\Metal icon?

Rock of Love?

just saying ...

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I'm not familiar with that cover. Who's the girl?

I've met and hung out with them separately, though it's been several years.

The last time I ran into Ahmet, he was with Rose McGowan.

Wowza! :evil:

That was Dweezil's "date" in the video.

I'm always up for a "Charmed" triple-banging good time. Oh yes!:evil:

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
That was Dweezil's "date" in the video.

I'm always up for a "Charmed" triple-banging good time. Oh yes!:evil:

Ah, okay.

I met Dweezil's former girlfriend, Lisa Loeb, several times. I thought maybe that was who you were referencing.

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Great point. Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, GnR were great in the 80's.

There was this one kid in school who wore this same fucking "Triumph-Sport of Kings" shirt like three times a week. I felt like buying him a "Pat Travers-Crash and Burn" just to shake things up a bit.:shake:

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Ah, okay.

I met Dweezil's former girlfriend, Lisa Loeb, several times. I thought maybe that was who you were referencing.

ROFL That's hilarious!

I wanted to bang this chick back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpJy46o_7b0

tyton75
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
No love for Winger and Whitesnake?!?

THEY ROCK!!!

lmao

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 01:05 PM
No love for Winger and Whitesnake?!?

THEY ROCK!!!

lmao

I dig Whitesnake, even to this day. Reb Beach from Winger and a friend I used to hang out with in the early 90's, Doug Aldrich are their current guitarists.

Doug's a badass.

As for Winger, not so much. I did run into Kip two years ago at the NAMM show in Anaheim. I told him I had backstage passes back in like 1990 because my 14 year-old sister (at the time) had a huge crush on him.

Kip asked "Was I a dick?"

DM: Yes. You were really uncool. So, I'm going to call her right now and you're going to apologize.

KW: Okay, get her on the phone.

Suffice to say, my sister was thrilled!

Al Bundy
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry that "Grunge" that killed metal.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Nah, they were never really "metal", so there was nothing to ruin.

They were a pop rock & roll band, like Def Leppard.

Metal bands don't write "hits".

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry that "Grunge" that killed metal.

I think you misread the quote. Mecca stated that Poison was a staple of that era and Pete replied that they (not grunge) killed metal.

DeepPurple
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
All of the L.A. singers after David Lee Roth tried to look like him as well. I know that a lot of people are very fond of Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, Warrant, etc., but I for one absolutely LOVED the onslaught of the "Seattle Sound", Soundgarden & AIC in particular. I was never a fan of "hair metal".

Since I was in Georgia and it wasn't long after those Scorpions and Def Leppard concerts in '84, I began hanging out at different clubs in Savannah. I got into all the Georgia bands and saw REM, Guadalcanal Diary and Love Tractor to name a few. I caught U2 twice in 1986, once in Atlanta and once in Jacksonville. Also saw Lou Reed, Frank Zappa, the Police and Peter Gabriel twice, I just went to any show that wasn't hard rock or was from Europe.

Now, move ahead to the late 90's and our lone Balt/DC alternate rock station went off the air, I switched to listening to the classic rock station. Finally about 5 years ago after growing bored, I started listenng to the hard rock and active rock stations. Now my concert DVD collection is at about 200, I'm getting into many of the bands I never knew. I'm picking up live DVD's from everyone from Guns N' Roses to Pearl Jam to Alice in Chains to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Rock of Love?

just saying ...

'Smell The Glove'

just saying...

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Seriously did you expect VH-1 to profile your favorite underground metal act? Is it worth getting that bent out of shape for? I'm enjoying this top 100 hard rock songs of all time, but it is what it is. It's VH-1 what do you expect.

"My Zebra Ass"

I want a VH1: Behind the Music for Loudness; now THAT would be awesome.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkbdrkFYqV0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkbdrkFYqV0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2009, 02:21 PM
"My Zebra Ass"

I want a VH1: Behind the Music for Loudness; now THAT would be awesome.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkbdrkFYqV0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Their drummer just died of cancer. He was only like 49 years old.

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Their drummer just died of cancer. He was only like 49 years old.

Yeah, I heard. Jeez Dane, trying to keep it light around here! :thumb:

Darth CarlSatan
01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Aahh...before LA went to shit:

"That ain't no bar, that's a saloon"LMAO:thumb:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPxWpY88fS8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPxWpY88fS8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dylan
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
VHS: "Rock of Love" Season 3

it's a riot. Brett Michaels and 20 new Bimbos

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
VHS: "Rock of Love" Season 3

it's a riot

Its like going to a strip club and not spending any money. :D

Dylan
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Its like going to a strip club and not spending any money. :D

LMAO Porn stars, strippers, a Penthouse Pet, S&M -- too funny.

OMG they're fighting already...

Darth CarlSatan
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
LMAO Porn stars, strippers, a Penthouse Pet, S&M -- too funny.

OMG they're fighting already...

I want one of them to pull his bandanna off; I suspect wigg-age or at the very least recede-age.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I want one of them to pull his bandanna off; I suspect wigg-age or at the very least recede-age.

ROFL Where is that thread that Mecca posted about this.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
My two picks are Kelsey and Stephaine.

Dylan
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
This show got out of hand fast. I'm shocked.

Who in their right mind would want to touch these girls.

STD's on Wheels -- they're fighting --

Hooker 7 is choking the life out of hooker 2.

Dylan
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM

they're too busy pulling their own clothes off. LMAO

KcMizzou
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
they're too busy pulling their own clothes off. LMAODamned show might be worth watching if it were on HBO.

Darth CarlSatan
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Damned show might be worth watching if it were on HBO.

There's always Katie Morgan and the Cathouse skeezers.

Dylan
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Someone has to be streaming this show. I'll look

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Damn one of my girls got cut.

Darth CarlSatan
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Damn one of my girls got cut.

ROFL Your "Man-Hennery" is an inspiration to young ladies everywhere.

(I kid, I kid! )

Dylan
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Here's a video: Click: Rock of Love Bus - Super Trailer

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1601165&vid=325656

Dylan
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
One of the girls fell off the stage -- she alive ? LMAO

the girl in the red bathing suit -- was she drunk or on heroin?

Brett Michaels kicked this show up about 10 nasty notches...

Darth CarlSatan
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
One of the girls fell off the stage -- she alive ? LMAO

the girl in the red bathing suit -- was she drunk or on heroin?

Brett Michaels kicked this show up about 10 nasty notches...

What happened to that one chick who looked kind of like vintage Aimee Mann? Now she was fucking HOT.

Frosty
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I got into all the Georgia bands and saw REM, Guadalcanal Diary and Love Tractor to name a few.

I saw Guadalcanal Diary in a club in Portland. It was a great show, except for the drunk that kept shouting "Ghost On the Road" the whole time, even during both opening bands. :rolleyes: The Grapes Of Wrath was one of those bands and also gave a great show.

Frosty
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM

I went to a lot of concerts in the '80s but I have two that I think were the main cause of the hearing loss that I have today because they were so incredibly loud.

The first was Motorhead. It was for their Bomber tour. To be honest, I wasn't that familiar with Motorhead at the time and went with a friend mostly to see the opening band, Krokus. It was just a wall of sound. Very painful. The bomber light rigs were cool as hell, though. :)

The second was a Frontline Assembly show in a club in Portland.The bass was just intense, just an overwhelming physical presence. It took better than a week for my hearing to come back "fully". It was a fun show, though.

Baby Lee
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Didn't a Ted Nugent concert at Arrowhead hold a world record for sound level at one time?
Seems like I have a factoid like that reposed somewhere in the ol' brainpan.

DeepPurple
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Didn't a Ted Nugent concert at Arrowhead hold a world record for sound level at one time? I saw Ted Nugent around 1983 or '84 in Savannah. I remember not being too impressed, he didn't have Deric St. Holmes but was doing his own singing. What I do remember is the opening act was Alcatrazz. The singer was Graham Bonnet wearing a shiny suit and the guitarist was off to the side with his own spotlight wearing a velvet outfit. It was Yngwie Malmsteen. He seemed like a prima donna and you could tell that Bonnet was getting perturbed that more people were watching the guitarist rather than him.

I saw Guadalcanal Diary in a club in Portland. It was a great show, except for the drunk that kept shouting "Ghost On the Road" the whole time, even during both opening bands.Guadalcanal Diary was the winner of the 1984 MTV Basement tapes with the video "Watusi Rodeo", very cool song. They won a recording contract with Elektra Records and I believe put out 3 or maybe 4 albums with them. I saw them a couple of times, I remember the last time around 1988 they did a Bon Jovi song and when they sang "I'm a cowboy, I ride a steel guitar" everybody laughed. Now I guess the laugh is on them.

Love Tractor was another Atlanta band similiar to REM, they had several albums. Once I saw them in a club and they were playing a song and asked if anybody could play bass, and someone in the audience got up on stage and took over the bass. Then they did guitar, keyboard and finally drums. So when it was done, the band was sitting in the audience and strangers were playing the song on stage, it was really neat.

Frosty
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
They won a recording contract with Elektra Records and I believe put out 3 or maybe 4 albums with them.

Four. All were excellent, though the last, Flip-Flop, was the weakest. I saw them on the Flip-Flop tour, which would have been about the same time frame ('88). Don't remember any Bon Jovi songs, though.

I was a big REM fan, too, though my "fan-dom" cooled off considerably after Green. Haven't bought anything by them since.