PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Question about LJ's tradability.

Frankie
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Every time someone talks about trading LJ away a bunch of posters pounce on him and remind him how "stupid" he is because LJ's big contract and signing bonus makes him UNTRADABLE. I admit, when it comes to understanding financial stuff I am far from the brightest star in the sky. So here's the question:

LJ wants out of KC. We, as I understand, lose less money if we keep him than if we get rid of him (don't know how, but it's been said). With that in mind, if Leon is so out of here in his mind, is it possible that the current contract can be thrown away and a new more reasonable one negotiated that would remove the barriers to his tradability? If not, let him know that he will be an expensive back-up on our bench. A year of gluing his ass to the bench should either ruin his career or bring his ass around to be more agreeable to this.

Am I overlooking something here?

Extra Point
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
No. Here's a pep talk from Herm, re-enacted:
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yzfu5oVacms&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yzfu5oVacms&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

JohnnyV13
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah. The financial holdup is LJs signing bonus. Since he signed a 7 year deal, and has only fulfilled 2, the bulk of the signing bonus would accelerate into next year, as a current year cap hit. The Chiefs would lose about 14 million or so in cap room (or 7 if you spread the hit over 2 years).

Of course, the Chiefs DO have that cap room, unless the new GM decides to go on a shopping spree. As for LJ's tradability, the new team would assume LJ's base pay. From what I understand, LJ's base pay is pretty high and the new team might not be willing to accept that salary for a guy that could receive a years suspension for his next nightclub run-in. A team trading for LJ might demand to renegotiate the contract with LJ, before doing a deal.

DeezNutz
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
LJ's contract is Carl's going away present to Chiefs fans.

FringeNC
01-04-2009, 10:35 AM
LJ's contract is one of many reasons why he has virtually no trade value.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
We are probably better off keeping him. In the right system, he could be effective still.

He proved he could still run after he came back. If anything he was underused this year.

DTLB58
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah. The financial holdup is LJs signing bonus. Since he signed a 7 year deal, and has only fulfilled 2, the bulk of the signing bonus would accelerate into next year, as a current year cap hit. The Chiefs would lose about 14 million or so in cap room (or 7 if you spread the hit over 2 years).

Of course, the Chiefs DO have that cap room, unless the new GM decides to go on a shopping spree. As for LJ's tradability, the new team would assume LJ's base pay. From what I understand, LJ's base pay is pretty high and the new team might not be willing to accept that salary for a guy that could receive a years suspension for his next nightclub run-in. A team trading for LJ might demand to renegotiate the contract with LJ, before doing a deal.

Well, someone took a chance on Jared when he was one strike away...and if LJ wants out of KC as bad as he says he probably would re-do his contract then.

Question is: Jammal Charles an every down back? or do we then have to use another high draft pick on a franchise RB?

Thought: If we keep Tyler and keep running the spread Sproles would be perfect for that IMO....

Marcellus
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I have heard that if LJ is convicted on either of the assult charges he has pending then it triggers a conduct clause in his contact and voids a good portion of his signing bonus.
He would potentially have to pay back some of the bonus.

Not for certain if thats true. I hope so.

Extra Point
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Robert Bennett sure looked good last night, didn't he?

dorseybowe
01-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't have a problem benching him for a season, so we can save a few bucks.

Coogs
01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
If we just cut LJ, we most likely would get a 3rd round compensation pick in the 2010 draft, depending on who is signed as FA's this off-season. So it is not like we would go away empty handed.

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
why not just run him till his legs fall off? Then it would be easier to kick him in the face when he's lower to the ground....NTIWWT, but I know a lot on here would have a wet dream over it. lol

Marcellus
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Looks like we would be on the hook for the signing bonus but there is a conduct clause in his contract.

For one, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reserved the right to punish Johnson again if he is convicted of the two unrelated charges he's currently facing, both for simple assault. Johnson also has to find a way to redeem himself with his team after a series of rules violations -- including being late to meetings as well as flights for games at New England and Carolina -- led to his deactivation for three straight weeks prior to the league's suspension. The likelihood of his remaining with the Chiefs beyond this season also remains very much in doubt. That suspension triggered a conduct clause in the five-year contract extension Johnson signed in August 2007, one that allows the Chiefs to void the $3.75 million he is guaranteed next season. Peterson admits that exercising that option "is a possibility."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3694547

milkman
01-04-2009, 10:53 AM

I could be misinformed, but as I uderstand it, if LJ remains with the Chiefs his base salary and prorated bonus would count 8.2 mil against the cap, while his accelerated bonus would count 8.8 mil against the cap.

If those numbers are correct then cutting or trading him is definitely not out of the question.

milkman
01-04-2009, 10:54 AM
If we just cut LJ, we most likely would get a 3rd round compensation pick in the 2010 draft, depending on who is signed as FA's this off-season. So it is not like we would go away empty handed.

Teams don't get comp picks for players that are cut before their contracts expire.

blueballs
01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
the .6 million they save for keeping LJ
they can use to re-sign DJ as a bonus

Coogs
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Teams don't get comp picks for players that are cut before their contracts expire.

My bad!

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM

So under that scenario the chiefs CAN conceivably trade him without absorbing the signing bonus hit.

milkman
01-04-2009, 12:11 PM
So under that scenario the chiefs CAN conceivably trade him without absorbing the signing bonus hit.

No.

The Chiefs will absorb the bonus hit if he's traded.

The renegotiated contract would be signed after the trade is official.

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Robert Bennett sure looked good last night, didn't he?

Michael?

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't have a problem benching him for a season, so we can save a few bucks.

There is a benefit in doing that and THAT is that it'll get it in his thick scull that THAT is his career if he does not renegotiate.

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM

That's a good point. :hmmm:

milkman
01-04-2009, 12:16 PM
That's a good point. :hmmm:

No it isn't.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2009, 12:20 PM
LJ has already been paid ..... redoing his contract would only help his new not us.

now if he repaid some of that signing bonus to us Al Davis

Short Leash Hootie
01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't anything about his trade-ability, but his drinkability is off the hooks...just ask the bitches out the Power and Lights District!

Basileus777
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
He can be traded if necessary, but the cap hit combined with a likely small draft pick as compensation means that it probably won't happen. It's not worth trading LJ at this point.

StcChief
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I have heard that if LJ is convicted on either of the assult charges he has pending then it triggers a conduct clause in his contact and voids a good portion of his signing bonus.
He would potentially have to pay back some of the bonus.

Not for certain if thats true. I hope so.almost makes it a hit situation.
have somebody provoke a fight.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
He can be traded if necessary, but the cap hit combined with a likely small draft pick as compensation means that it probably won't happen. It's not worth trading LJ at this point.

Well thats something the new Chiefs GM is going to have to weigh heavily.

Trade him and take the hit. Addition by subtraction.

or keep him and all his baggage.

Basileus777
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Well thats something the new Chiefs GM is going to weigh.

Trade him and take the hit. Addition by subtraction.

or keep him and all his baggage.

LJ is also still a productive RB. We don't have any other starting caliber RB on our roster. If we trade LJ we would need to draft/sign another RB.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM

This...

I think at this point, if the new coaching staff can find away to motivate him and run him into the ground ala Herm in 2006... Then just bury the piece of shit and try to get something in our return?

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:41 PM

I didn't know that. CP REALLY Effed us over, didn't he?

unothadeal
01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
What's the long version of Larry? Is it Leon?

Frankie
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
LJ is also still a productive RB. We don't have any other starting caliber RB on our roster. If we trade LJ we would need to draft/sign another RB.

I think we will draft/sign one nevertheless.

milkman
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
According to Adam Shefter the difference to the cap between keeping LJ and cutting or trading him is only $600,000.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/30/chiefs-weigh-options-for-johnson/

Adam Schefter
Chiefs weigh options for Johnson
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Larry Johnson

Kansas City has no playoff games. But it will get to play a numbers game.

The numbers game involves standout running back Larry Johnson, who wants out of Kansas City, and the cost of granting him his wish.

For Kansas City to trade Johnson, it would cost $8.8 million against its salary cap next season. For the Chiefs to keep Johnson, it would cost $8.2 million against the salary cap next season.

So this is their choice — trade a player who has said he wants out, or keep the player who could be a detriment in the locker room.

Whoever is the new general manager for the Chiefs will have to weigh whether it is worth auctioning off Johnson to the highest bidder, hoping to get back, at best, a second-round pick and more likely a third-round pick and possibly some other late-round compensation.

Now before Chiefs fans get incensed that Johnson will bring back only a second-round pick — if he can even get that, as some league executives are not convinced — consider this:

Running backs don’t carry a tremendous value around the league. The upcoming draft is deep at the position. Teams can draft running backs after the first round — see Matt Forte, Steve Slaton, Peyton Hillis — and still get contributors. So Johnson will be worth maybe a second-round pick, probably a third, or possibly a third and a fifth.

While Johnson’s contract is an albatross for the Chiefs, it is a blessing for other teams. Any team that trades for Johnson does not have to pay him any guaranteed money — other than the $5.5 million base salary that he is scheduled to make next season. In 2010, Johnson is scheduled to make another $7 million in base salary.

If there’s a team out there that wants to upgrade at running back, it has to ask whether it is better to trade for Johnson or sign a free agent such as New York’s Brandon Jacobs to a deal that is likely to include somewhere around $18 million in guaranteed money.

Plus, any team that wants to part ways with Johnson would not have to accelerate any signing bonus, making Johnson even more attractive to another team.

orange
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
almost makes it a hit situation.
have somebody provoke a fight.

It would have to be a girl.

unothadeal
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
What's the long version of Larry? Is it Leon?

Those commercials were awesome.

orange
01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Ahhh, it's Lawrence.

Yeh! I loved those Leon commercials. Larry = Leon - perfect analogy.

Danman
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Question is: Jammal Charles an every down back? or do we then have to use another high draft pick on a franchise RB?

Thought: If we keep Tyler and keep running the spread Sproles would be perfect for that IMO....

I believe drafting a running back every year or every other year would be the way to go. The average life expectancy of a RB is 4-6 yrs.

No to the spread as a full time offense. Sproles is awesome regardless. He may be only 5'6" but he's got a lot of power in his legs

Frankie
01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeh! I loved those Leon commercials. Larry = Leon - perfect analogy.

Thank you.

bowener
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
LJ's contract is Carl's going away present to Chiefs fans.

Like taking a shit in your apartment heating vent. Let your asshole landlord figure THAT smell out.

the Talking Can
01-04-2009, 01:57 PM
we just need to hire a black coach, everything will be fine

orange
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Like taking a shit in your apartment heating vent. Let your asshole landlord figure THAT smell out.

You don't think every landlord who's ever had more than three tenants hasn't already dealt with that? Hah!

Red Brooklyn
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Hell if CP really takes the over in Miami, we may not have to worry about it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to over compensate us to have his boyfriend back on the sidelines with him.

whoaskew
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

LOL

As if the landlord is the one who will be living there smelling it.

Maybe the new tenant is the asshole and you are doing the landlord a favor.